Your top 4 before 'Selection Sunday' and a personal take as well...

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that they recognize 5 "power" conferences, yet are having a 4 team playoff each year. Just on the face of that, you're going to have to leave out one conference champion each year...that makes little sense other than to spur controversy.

The committee "reranked" teams every week. Started from scratch. I don't think they considered conference champs until this week. OSU wins conference, that was a bump in their mind. Baylor and TCU co-champs hurt both. Cancelled each other out.

And to last post, while I agree on a simple level, not every power conference deserves a team in the argument every year. If it wasn't for FSU this year, no one from the ACC would deserve to be in this Final Four.

Not addressed to me, but I'd like to say in my opinion, if you are giving teams that lost in the regular season to teams ranked ahead of them a second shot it diminishes that prior result. It makes the outcome of that game meaningless.
agree

To add, why not just start the season off as a tourney

SOOOOO many people had a problem with Bama v LSU in the Ship...ME INCLUDED

So Tip you want that again? I just do not get it...

Maybe your ND fandom (to tip here) blinds you....the UM/tOSU the Bama/LSU the OU/UT,.....these are all BIG Games...meant to know you out the shit..do or die

what do u want for the reg season? I want it to matter immensely ....again 4 feels good

6 is TOPS....with 2 gettin the bye

I could see teams that are "IN" later in the season fuckin burning red shirts and sending out 5th year seniors to play a final game before the dance

I just say NO NO NO

The committee "reranked" teams every week. Started from scratch. I don't think they considered conference champs until this week. OSU wins conference, that was a bump in their mind. Baylor and TCU co-champs hurt both. Cancelled each other out.

And to last post, while I agree on a simple level, not every power conference deserves a team in the argument every year. If it wasn't for FSU this year, no one from the ACC would deserve to be in this Final Four.

Then what's the point of having Power 5 conference games count as more on a resume if those 5 conferences aren't worthy of having their conference champ in a playoff every year? Seems to make everything much more subjective than it has to be...especially if they're the ones who want to name them Power 5 Conferences. They want it every which way don't they?

My biggest issue with the whole thing is that they recognize 5 "power" conferences, yet are having a 4 team playoff each year. Just on the face of that, you're going to have to leave out one conference champion each year...that makes little sense other than to spur controversy.
good point Lareux

What may have been lost in this today (it may have been mentioned and I missed it)...the Committee DID value head to head more than who a team lost to, as Baylor jumped TCU in this last poll and would have gone to the playoff if tOSU or FSU had lost last night. As was pointed out, and it was pointed out in many other threads about this....really only the final ranking mattered, and they only did the rankings before today to get people talking and make some money. At the end of the day, Baylor beating TCU was more than who either of them lost to.

Does anyone think for a second the committe said this:

"You don't want to declare a champion with the results given?"

"OK....see ya next time..."

Because a team like clemson cant beat a team like south carolina. .... or a team like georgia tech can't beat a team like Georgia ... etc. etc.

The idea that the only week that matters is the final week in the rankings ... that the committee didn't take their job seriously the other weeks ... is even more damning than the damnation they get from me tonight. That's fine. I hope TOSU wins it all but i won't be watching. So they weren't trying the other weeks .... weren't trying the week heading into the conference championships ....WERE lying to the big12 when they said their model would not be held against them .... WERE lying when they had TCU ahead of TOSU and Baylor. WERE lying when they had TCU ahead of FSU.

Sorry .. .. they made asses of themselves and a mockery of what used to be the best sport in the world ... which has turned into a bad flag football league played by little girls.

Oh btw ... Hey Northwestern ... think UAB could afford to pay players?

Does anyone think for a second the committe said this:

"You don't want to declare a champion with the results given?"

"OK....see ya next time..."

Funny you say that, when the rankings came out all I could think of was the Big 12 saying 'we are going to have co-champs and let the committee decide.' And the committee decided to say 'go fuck yourselves'

It does count, losing to VT. That and losing to WVU counts. It is all just one part of the equation.

For the record I had Baylor 4, I posted it here before the committee. So I am not an Ohio St fan, nor a Baylor hater.

I am just someone that can understand why the committee might have choose Ohio St over Baylor.

Ohio St played 10 bowl eligible teams and won 9 of them.

Baylor played 6 bowl eligible teams and won 5 of them.

Ohio St played 3 games vs teams that won atleast 9 games and won all 3 of them.

Baylor played 2 games vs teams that won atleast 9 games and won 2.

Back it up one.

Ohio State played 4 teams that went 8-4 and won all 4 of them.

Baylor played 3 teams that went 8-4 and won 3 of them.

Throw in margin of victory. Vs 8+ win teams Ohio St won by 47-22 avg for a 25ppg margin. Baylor won 49-33 in the 3 wins for a 16 ppg margin.

Ohio St beat two 10 win teams. Baylor beat one 11 win team.

Ohio St's loss is worse. Baylor's loss is better.

I think resume is close between these teams.

Again, by defending Ohio St at 4 it makes it seem like I think they should be 4. I don't. I am taking the other side of the argument, I don't know for fun maybe, but as long as these committee people didn't make the decisions for money or fanbase or TV reasons then I can understand why they came to that decision. I don't agree with it, but I can accept why they did it.

The problem with this analysis is that Ohio State played teams who had very inflated records by virtue of playing in an atrocious Big 10 conference, ie. Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a team who probably would have lost to South Florida at home had the hometown officiating not kicked-in in the 2nd half when mysterious flags magically appeared every single time Wisconsin didn't convert on 3rd down. Throw Wisconsin in the Big 12 and they are non-bowl eligible bottom-feeder.

Ohio State has two respectable wins all season: Cincinnati & Michigan State. The rest of their wins are against mediocre to terrible teams.

The bottom line is an 8-win Big 10 team (Minnesota) is not even close to being equivalent to an 8-win Big 12 team (Oklahoma), or whatever win total you want to choose. For God's sake, a 2-win Big 12 team (Iowa State) beat a 7-win Big 10 team (@ Iowa). A very good Big 12 team like West Virginia did not have the benefit of fattening their record off of Big 10 slugs. In short, comparing the second best conference in college football against the worst major conference (by a significant margin) as if they're equal is a logical fallacy.

Wisky being called good team is a joke. They have no qb. I see better qb play at the d3 level.

What may have been lost in this today (it may have been mentioned and I missed it)...the Committee DID value head to head more than who a team lost to, as Baylor jumped TCU in this last poll and would have gone to the playoff if tOSU or FSU had lost last night. As was pointed out, and it was pointed out in many other threads about this....really only the final ranking mattered, and they only did the rankings before today to get people talking and make some money. At the end of the day, Baylor beating TCU was more than who either of them lost to.

Which is a per se absurdity given that Baylor beat TCU what 10 weeks ago??? At that point Baylor should have been ranked ahead of TCU every week until such time as Baylor played their way out of that lead - which they never did.

Wisky being called good team is a joke. They have no qb. I see better qb play at the d3 level.

EXACTLY!!! They won 10 games in an atrocious conference where they were able to squeak by without ever having to pass the ball. What other conference could they have played in where they could have won games with zero ability to pass the ball??? The MAC maybe???

Because a team like clemson cant beat a team like south carolina. .... or a team like georgia tech can't beat a team like Georgia ... etc. etc.

The idea that the only week that matters is the final week in the rankings ... that the committee didn't take their job seriously the other weeks ... is even more damning than the damnation they get from me tonight. That's fine. I hope TOSU wins it all but i won't be watching. So they weren't trying the other weeks .... weren't trying the week heading into the conference championships ....WERE lying to the big12 when they said their model would not be held against them .... WERE lying when they had TCU ahead of TOSU and Baylor. WERE lying when they had TCU ahead of FSU.

Sorry .. .. they made asses of themselves and a mockery of what used to be the best sport in the world ... which has turned into a bad flag football league played by little girls.

I agree. The whole " We recalculate everything every week" was nothing more than cover to obscure their enigmatic incompetence.

I didnt look but did UAB get a bid?

I hope so. I also feel bad for those kids. If that school turned down the donations rumored, than that is shitty beyond belief. Lotta dough from what I saw on ESPN....probably more. I wonder who is lying...

September 23, 2000 I was there...yeah yeah LSU sucked.....whatever

That dragon on the helmet should stay spitting fire.

Why do I care? I saw Tulane almost drop football, only to go to a bowl game, then build a brand new stadium on campus.

I do not know the whole deal, but if they didnt reach out and what was said is true...then..

Get fucked UAB admin....in the asshole

And pray tell who the B1G "deserved" in if it wasn't for Ohio state? There was never any mention of one of their schools in the discussion whatsoever either.

I keep seeing an honest amount (not a lot) of chatter about how good West Virginia was this year in a couple of these playoff threads. You folks need to know that West Virginia wasn't very good at all. Sure, they got Baylor at home, but other than that they went a very average 6-5 and the best win of those six remaining victories was against mighty Maryland OOC in a high scoring 3 pt affair. Collectively, people need to quit talking up West Virginia. They weren't very good. Good to very good teams find ways to have a better record than 7-5 overall.

Which is a per se absurdity given that Baylor beat TCU what 10 weeks ago??? At that point Baylor should have been ranked ahead of TCU every week until such time as Baylor played their way out of that lead - which they never did.

Again though, the rankings before the last one didn't mean a damn thing. I agree with you that they shouldn't have had TCU ahead of Baylor until Baylor played their way out of it...but, in reality, they shouldn't have given us, or anyone, any rankings until today. It was solely for money and exposure purposes...they meant nothing at all.

The committee made a statement that was in the CFP program, that stated they would value a head to head win, and that they thought it was something missing in the old system (losing team ranked ahead of winning team in the H2H)....they did, in fact live up to what they said....they just shouldn't have been giving us fake rankings for the last 5 weeks or whatever.

I keep seeing an honest amount (not a lot) of chatter about how good West Virginia was this year in a couple of these playoff threads. You folks need to know that West Virginia wasn't very good at all. Sure, they got Baylor at home, but other than that they went a very average 6-5 and the best win of those six remaining victories was against mighty Maryland OOC in a high scoring 3 pt affair. Collectively, people need to quit talking up West Virginia. They weren't very good. Good to very good teams find ways to have a better record than 7-5 overall.

I disagree. West Virginia had a brutal schedule, beat Baylor, probably should have beaten TCU but fell by 1, and were very competitive in every game they lost sans the Longhorns. West Virginia would have been what? the third best team in the Big 10 and would have easily won the Big 10 West.

Again though, the rankings before the last one didn't mean a damn thing. I agree with you that they shouldn't have had TCU ahead of Baylor until Baylor played their way out of it...but, in reality, they shouldn't have given us, or anyone, any rankings until today. It was solely for money and exposure purposes...they meant nothing at all.

The committee made a statement that was in the CFP program, that stated they would value a head to head win, and that they thought it was something missing in the old system (losing team ranked ahead of winning team in the H2H)....they did, in fact live up to what they said....they just shouldn't have been giving us fake rankings for the last 5 weeks or whatever.

I have said that from the outset. They should have released one ranking at the conclusion of the regular season and spared us all the political gobbledygook. They would have a lot more credibility than they do now. Right now they look completely incompetent.

Am I the only one who thinks the elephant in the room is that TCU/Baylor aren't big brands with history? If the Big 12 teams in question were Texas and Oklahoma with similar resumes as TCU and Baylor, I can't seriously see them getting shut out of the dance in lieu of Ohio St.

That is 100% obvious...

My issue is with the process. Why wasn't Baylor or TCU penalised for all these things during the season. The committee put their cards on the table very week. A week ago they said that, based on the body of work to date, both Baylor and TCU are superior to OSU. What changed on the weekend? All 3 teams won. What did TCU do wrong to fall 3 spots? Was winning by 50 a bad thing?

We may have the 4 best teams there, I don't know but it's all subjective. People can't punch holes in Baylor while ignoring the fact the team they are pushing got rolled by 2 TD's to a team that scored 3 points against Wake Forest.

And to to see how flawed the process is then look no further then the Michigan State and Mississippi State example earlier. If the OSU win was so impressive that they moved into the Top 4, then why did Miss St jump Mich St?

and thanks for not using wins against ranked teams as a basis. Nothing worse then when people justify a subjective ranking by comparing it against the same subjective ranking.

This is the thing...and it is clear and concise....

They beat maryland ooc, tcu beat minnesota ooc .. ... i see a trend forming ...

Then what's the point of having Power 5 conference games count as more on a resume if those 5 conferences aren't worthy of having their conference champ in a playoff every year? Seems to make everything much more subjective than it has to be...especially if they're the ones who want to name them Power 5 Conferences. They want it every which way don't they?

Again, I agree for the most part. But what if top three teams in the nation come from one conference? I'm all for winning the conference, but what about those other teams? No chance whatsoever for the title?

The week to week thing is horseshit. Said it from the start. Just for TV. No need for it because they can change what they want any time and it defeats the purpose.

The week to week thing is horseshit. Said it from the start. Just for TV. No need for it because they can change what they want any time and it defeats the purpose.

Gonna play devils advocate here bc I've felt pretty much the same as you and others in here. In years past when the poll voters didn't move teams down in the rankings for playing badly, but still winning - we'd get a little pissed about it. Same goes for teams who were winning. The bottom line is there was never any roller coastering in the ways of the old polls. It was boring and we bitched about that as well. Now a new more fluid way of voting is done and we are bitching about it, too. We just like to bitch :-)

I disagree. West Virginia had a brutal schedule, beat Baylor, probably should have beaten TCU but fell by 1, and were very competitive in every game they lost sans the Longhorns. West Virginia would have been what? the third best team in the Big 10 and would have easily won the Big 10 West.

And they could or should have lost at Maryland and at Texas Tech. Had a healthy beating at home to powerhouse Oklahoma, too. You can't play hypotheticals about how a team would have done in another conference with an entirely different schedule. If only UNC played football in Div III, they'd be in the playoffs!! THats not how it works and it's not a great way to start or end a conversation. Good to very good teams win more games and lose less than they did.

This is courtesy of a page on the Colley Matrix Rankings site simulating what a final BCS ranking would be for 2014.

[h=2]BCS Proxy Rankings, 2014 Week 15[/h] A compilation of computer rankings, coaches rankings and media rankings very similar to the BCS rankings. There are two primary differences:
  1. Taking the place of the Harris poll is the AP poll.
  2. Kenneth Massey is using his preferred native systems, rather than the one he modified for the BCS.
USA Today's College Football Computer Composite features the composite rankings of former BCS computer rankings providers weekly.

rankteamBCS-LikeAP
Weight
Coaches
Weight
Comp
Weight
APCoachesA&HBillColleyMasseySagarin
Elo
Wolfe

<tbody>
[TD="class: txt"]Alabama[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Florida St[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Oregon[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Ohio St[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]TCU[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Baylor[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Mississippi St[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Michigan St[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Mississippi[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Arizona[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Kansas St[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Georgia Tech[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]UCLA[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Georgia[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Missouri[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Arizona St[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Auburn[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Wisconsin[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Clemson[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Boise St[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Louisville[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]LSU[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Nebraska[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]Utah[/TD]

[TD="class: txt"]USC[/TD]

</tbody>

AP and Coaches Polls can be found at USA Today.
Computer rankings provided by Massey Ratings.

Colley Matrix Home

And they could or should have lost at Maryland and at Texas Tech. Had a healthy beating at home to powerhouse Oklahoma, too. You can't play hypotheticals about how a team would have done in another conference with an entirely different schedule. If only UNC played football in Div III, they'd be in the playoffs!! THats not how it works and it's not a great way to start or end a conversation. Good to very good teams win more games and lose less than they did.

When we start talking about wins against 7-5 and 6-6 teams, the argument ceases to have a point

Cincy and Memphis are a done deal.

whenever i see or hear the words "done deal", i swear to you about 75% of the time it is NOT a done deal.

just saying.

it's kind of like the phrase "take it to the bank". i'm telling you that too is a bounced check about 75% of the time.

let's see if Cincy and Memphis are the next two teams added to the BIG 12.

whenever i see or hear the words "done deal", i swear to you about 75% of the time it is NOT a done deal.

just saying.

it's kind of like the phrase "take it to the bank". i'm telling you that too is a bounced check about 75% of the time.

let's see if Cincy and Memphis are the next two teams added to the BIG 12.

LOCK???

Lots of folks in and around Vegas think UNLV will be on the fast track into the Big 12 before long. Supposed to get a huge injection of money from one of the casino king pins. Fritatta or something. Rumor was the Bishop Gorman coach would take over for Hauck. That was last week, not sure about new developments on that front.

As for the BCS ratings posted by s--k, that is why this system is already totally superior to the BCS after one year. Under the previous format you would have left out at least one team that was objectively seen as superior to one of the final two entrants. The BCS failed multiple times at getting us the two best squads, which was its stated goal all along. This playoff certainly isn't going to get it right every year, and even if years when the do get it right not everyone will like it, but its clearly a step in the right direction.

The point of this discussion was to rate the relative strength of the Big 10 conference (which is abysmal), not a Div. III conference. West Virginia lost 5 games for the same reason Arkansas lost 6 - they both played brutal schedules. We can't homogenize college football and pretend like a win against Western Carolina is equivalent to a win against Oregon or Florida State, which apparently is the way you would have us ascertain the strength or weakness of a team. The fact of the matter is that the strength of the Big 10 conference is terrible and no where even close to being on par with the Big 12. Throw West Virginia or Arkansas in the Big 10 West, and both run away with that division and are 10-win teams like Wisconsin. The bottom line is that the Big 12 conference is vastly superior to the Big 10, and because of that both Baylor and TCU played much tougher schedules than Ohio State who basically had a 1-game season against Michigan State. That leads us to the inescapable conclusion that both Baylor and TCU should be ranked ahead of Ohio State.

Lots of folks in and around Vegas think UNLV will be on the fast track into the Big 12 before long. Supposed to get a huge injection of money from one of the casino king pins. Fritatta or something. Rumor was the Bishop Gorman coach would take over for Hauck. That was last week, not sure about new developments on that front.

As for the BCS ratings posted by s--k, that is why this system is already totally superior to the BCS after one year. Under the previous format you would have left out at least one team that was objectively seen as superior to one of the final two entrants. The BCS failed multiple times at getting us the two best squads, which was its stated goal all along. This playoff certainly isn't going to get it right every year, and even if years when the do get it right not everyone will like it, but its clearly a step in the right direction.

Fertitta. Alleged crime family and owners of the Station Casinos franchise. Alleged .. don't come for me.

Again, I agree for the most part. But what if top three teams in the nation come from one conference? I'm all for winning the conference, but what about those other teams? No chance whatsoever for the title?

What do you mean no chance for a title? Win the conference and go to the playoff. I am confused.

Well, short answer...yes. The committee has pretty much said that a team needs to win a conference championship to make it to the playoff, so if you don't win your conference, you're out. They had their chance in the regular season (and conf champ game), making the regular season as valuable as everyone seems to want it to be.

Well, short answer...yes. The committee has pretty much said that a team needs to win a conference championship to make it to the playoff, so if you don't win your conference, you're out. They had their chance in the regular season (and conf champ game), making the regular season as valuable as everyone seems to want it to be.

This is a good point for going forward. Since TCU and Baylor were punished for not winning their conference outright, how could you ever let in a team that is an outright loser of their conference now? I hadn't looked at it that way but it might be a great precedent for not having two teams from the same conference make the playoffs... which is probably the one and only rule that I think is an absolute necessity to the playoff system ( that no two teams from the same conference shall EVER qualify in the same year ). Silver lining if I thought there was any chance at the process being consistent.

This is a good point for going forward. Since TCU and Baylor were punished for not winning their conference outright, how could you ever let in a team that is an outright loser of their conference now? I hadn't looked at it that way but it might be a great precedent for not having two teams from the same conference make the playoffs... which is probably the one and only rule that I think is an absolute necessity to the playoff system ( that no two teams from the same conference shall EVER qualify in the same year ). Silver lining if I thought there was any chance at the process being consistent.

Just wait until we get multiple 2 loss conference champs and a 1 loss SEC team

@ThayerEvansSI: Bishop Gorman High School's Tony Sanchez in process of finalizing agreement to become UNLV’s new head coach per a source.

on the money

Sure, but at the end of the day we still have 5 "power conferences" and 4 playoff spots each year. That makes no sense, especially if they are going to consider these Power 5 conferences as more when taking OOC schedules into consideration. The best way to solve this is to make it 6 teams where each Power 5 division winner gets in and one at large. How can you set up a system that spurs controversy every year on the face of it (4 spots and 5 "power" conferences), and want to be taken seriously?

Back