When, Oh When, Lord? Formerly "Greek Has A Total and 1H Play Up"

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Seriously. Just one right now. But it's a start and hopefully a sign.

Miami v. Ball St 51.5 total and 3 pt 1H.

Gotta post them by Wednesday I think, Hunt. Give a full week for the Thursday games.

Fuck sakes.

I think that lines will be Texas -22, USC -28, and SC -17

Gotta post them by Wednesday I think, Hunt. Give a full week for the Thursday games.

Fuck sakes.

I think that lines will be Texas -22, USC -28, and SC -17

Sure would be nice to see 21 or less....but I think you're right.

I'm on USC and Texas. I'm not sure about SC. I think that's the right side, but I'm hearing sketchy things from SC--particularly Spurrier's hate for his OL play.

1 thing about the OL...

It has been mostly the 2nd units in the scrimmages and that is what has been pissing him off. Also in the scrimmages, Boyd/Davis have been held out so the defense hasn't had to face a rushing attack and there has been a lot of throwing. The defense knows what is coming so it is hard to be successful. These next 2 weeks will be crucial for the development of the OL. The reps for the younger guys will start to get cut as they gameplan

Jump - What injuries?

This guys is pretty unbiased and realistic..

Offensive line: An oasis or an ogre?

posted by Scott Hood, 8/16/2007 09:18:00 PM
It looks like you can forget all the bad things Steve Spurrier said about the offensive line following Wednesday night’s closed scrimmage.

Well, not really.

OK, Spurrier backtracked a bit after Thursday afternoon’s workout, saying the O-Line wasn’t as poor as he first thought, but the bottom line stayed the same – the offensive line is still a work in progress.

The question is whether it will be ready to perform at an optimum level on Sept. 8 when South Carolina invades Sanford Stadium.

Not Sept. 1, when USC starts the season against Louisiana-Lafayette.

Spurrier knows USC has plenty of talent on hand to beat the Ragin’ Cajuns handily at home. The key is getting past that game without any major injuries and then starting preparations for the Bulldogs.

Spurrier’s scathing criticism Wednesday night almost guarantees that thousand of eyeballs will be watching the offensive line on opening night. The wide receivers, with those five freshmen, should be a close second.

Why? People don’t forget the original story. But they do ignore the retraction.

And what a spicy original story we had.

Once the media were allowed into Williams-Brice Stadium at the conclusion of the scrimmage, Spurrier promptly marched over to where we were assembled and launched into blistering attack of the apparently overwhelmed offensive line.

The core of his message was that the line was atrocious. And those were the positive things he said.

However, guard Garrett Anderson, one of the straightest shooters on the team, didn’t disagree with his head coach when he was questioned. He said simply the offensive line wasn’t ready to compete in the SEC.

Based on some of the posts I’ve seen on TIF, some people have tried to explain away the offensive line’s mediocre performance by theorizing the second-team offensive line faced the first-team defensive line, and vice versa.

If you’re one of those people, you’re not thinking the way Steve Spurrier thinks.

And you need to stop making excuses for the players.

Players are recruited by the coaches to perform well on the gridiron, both in practice and in games. It’s part of the deal when they sign their letter of intent. In return for their services on the football team, they receive a free college education.

So when they don’t perform, the head coach has the right to get upset.

I can assure you Spurrier doesn’t care one bit whether it was the first-team, second-team of third-team offensive line that committed the majority of the mistakes. They’re all the same in his mind.

He doesn’t tolerate any mistakes at any time, no matter who’s on the field.

It’s called paying attention to details.

To their credit, quarterbacks Blake Mitchell and Tommy Beecher refused to throw their teammates under the bus despite the apparent lack of protection from the defensive onslaught.

Based on the receiving numbers, its clear they had little time to throw deep. Instead, they relied on short, conservative passes to the running backs and tight ends.

Both said they expected the O-Line to improve dramatically over the remaining 2-/12 weeks before the first game.

Maybe it will.

Frankly, I would be surprised if it didn’t. First, the defensive line it faces everyday in practice might be one of the best it will see all year.

Second, I agree with Spurrier’s comment today that the talent is here to have a productive SEC offensive line. There are now 2 or 3 players at each O-Line position that can perform in a game if called upon.

Of course, they might not play well all the time but the ability is certainly there to do so.

Guys like redshirt freshman Kevin Young – a player Spurrier has mentioned often - are like a flower that hasn’t blossomed yet. Before they do, they’re not much to look that.

When they do, though, it’s magic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="padding: 6px;" valign="top">Scrimmage Impressions - 8/18</td><td style="padding: 6px;" class="" 1="" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom">Reply</td></tr></tbody></table><hr color="#cccccc" noshade="noshade"> First of all, it was a pretty ragged scrimmage overall. The offensive line was pretty much overwhelmed for most of the day. One thing that contributed to their struggles was the fact that the offense played the entire scrimmage with only one tailback – Brian Maddox. The coaches held Cory Boyd and Mike Davis out as a precaution, and Bobby Wallace and Taylor Rank missed the scrimmage due to injury.

This allowed the defensive line to pin its ears back play after play and come after the quarterback, as there was often no threat in the game at running back. Still there were other problems as well. They still have a ways to go up front.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

meant more injuries and inconsistency..

Backup RB hurt...Maddox complaining about this and that and Spurrier as well..

OL issues..

and less than glamorous things about Mitchell as well.....

Not a number I'd be interested in personally...esp compared to the other two..

Hasn't been an upbeat couple of weeks it doesn't seem.

I understand that. Wallace was 3rd string though. Maddox is not red-shirting and will get some PT vs. ULL and on special teams. When asked if he was going to redshirt, he said "no way in hell." He has backed it up on the field in the scrimmages though and physically ready to play. Its been pretty quiet about Mitchell all summer except that he missed the 1st two practices.

Now I will say, part of my bet was to wait and see how the OL gels and well the next 2 weeks will determine that answer. The 1st unit played all but 2-3series in the scrimmages. They do however get to compete every day vs what will be a deep and strong DL so that is always good. This will be an issue I keep a close eye on though

guys this is la la laugheyette..not georgia.

spurrier likes to open it up and he will early and often.

if texas 1st half was -21 i would put every cent i own on it. worst case scenario is they push.

the line will be at least -21.5, most likely -22 or -23.

the usc/idaho game is interesting. during the pete carroll era, usc has never played a team as bad as idaho. they have routinely trashed bad pac10 teams, but never have the trojans played a team this low. it will be interesting to see how pete approaches this game

They got friday's first half lines up at the greek. It will be real soon for Saturday's

What does everyone think of LSU -10 1st H and -4.5 1st Q?? Thinking LSU should be able to rollup an unanswered TD in the 1st Q?

:cheers:

I personally hate quarter plays, but don't mind first halfs.

Keep an eye on the weather as a factor for LSU as they are forecasting rain for Thursday. How that effects the game or the play, I don't know right now.

Back