2023-24 BOWL GUIDE

No doubt - but the only problem here is the OTHER SIDE ha >> Ga Southern ..... a turnover machine that plays no D. Ohio is tough as hell in bowls - Clay Helton teams ? poor so far.

GS did destroy Ball State on the road - but they were off Georgia and Kentucky - probably beat up.

I leaned GS initially as a dog (Sun Belt vs MAC) - and would have to still - they really need a W here. But I couldn't lay 3+ right now. I would wait to see what the line does - and get a better feel for which team will come to play. Who TF knows, maybe GS QB sits out too.....

Still - I wouldn't play GS anything but small at <3 .....or a live play as dog maybe. Can definitely see Ohio getting up early.
Can’t see how Ohio comes close to what their 100th scoring offense was. 3rd string QB leads the current roster in passing and rushing yards that is note worthy of mentioning . It’s GS for me or nothing.

UCLA D might be a little too stout for Boise St minus their QB

UCLA might not get off the bus, and get their ass kicked too ....... now I would just play Boise small at 3' or so - small ML play maybe as well. Freshman QB is probably a better passer than Green anyway

$$$$$$ I see a lot of guys ignoring motivational aspects - focusing mainly on the match-up as if it was a regular season game - most podcasts and here. In the LATER games sure. In the EARLY games? HELL NO
>> Here UCLA and their coach could not care less - they will get almost no QUALITY practice reps at all. Boise is not as good yes - but they love their new HC, and they will be here to win, and will play their ass off. So where should we put our hard earned cash? IF we lose, at least we didn't make a dumb bet........

NOTE: PAC 12 teams have covered ELEVEN of their last FORTY THREE bowl games - and are even worse in the early bowls ffs. MTW teams have done great vs P12 historically - but P12 has been better lately as a short favorite (like here)

Last edited:
UCLA might not get off the bus, and get their ass kicked too ....... now I would just play Boise small at 3' or so - small ML play maybe as well. Freshman QB is probably a better passer than Green anyway

$$$$$$ I see a lot of guys ignoring motivational aspects - focusing mainly on the match-up as if it was a regular season game - most podcasts and here. In the LATER games sure. In the EARLY games? HELL NO
>> Here UCLA and their coach could not care less - they will get almost no QUALITY practice reps at all. Boise is not as good yes - but they love their new HC, and they will be here to win, and will play their ass off. So where should we put our hard earned cash? IF we lose, at least we didn't make a dumb bet........

NOTE: PAC 12 teams have covered ELEVEN of their last FORTY THREE bowl games - and are even worse in the early bowls ffs. MTW teams have done great vs P12 historically - but P12 has been better lately as a short favorite (like here)
Lol. Very true about UCLA and not even catching the bus. However it sounded like Boise St was still scrambling to find out if the Frosh was getting all the QB reps or the walk on getting into the mix. Thats reaching deep for an important position. Will have to keep in eye on what’s being said there.

Lol. Very true about UCLA and not even catching the bus. However it sounded like Boise St was still scrambling to find out if the Frosh was getting all the QB reps or the walk on getting into the mix. Thats reaching deep for an important position. Will have to keep in eye on what’s being said there.

I guess my BIG PICTURE handicap of that game would be:

Boise QB was not really asked to do much - the loss of an average QB that didn't really compliment their running game that well might not matter (that much). Kinda like the Miami,O game too BTW. Boise will RUN, play D/ST / leverage the field. They have a huge ST edge (#30 > #106). Green was a liability until a great game vs a horrific UNLV D >> POOF he's a star! ....... UCLA ain't won a bowl since 2014.

The famous BA - "play the team with the KEY player out" handicapping strategy probably applies here ...... Boise is all in (except for QB) - he is replaced by a more talented - better passing FR. As that Wolfe said - look for them to rally around the new guy.

I guess my BIG PICTURE handicap of that game would be:

Boise QB was not really asked to do much - the loss of an average QB that didn't really compliment their running game that well might not matter (that much). Kinda like the Miami,O game too BTW. Boise will RUN, play D/ST / leverage the field. They have a huge ST edge (#30 > #106). Green was a liability until a great game vs a horrific UNLV D >> POOF he's a star! ....... UCLA ain't won a bowl since 2014.

The famous BA - "play the team with the KEY player out" handicapping strategy probably applies here ...... Boise is all in (except for QB) - he is replaced by a more talented - better passing FR. As that Wolfe said - look for them to rally around the new guy.
There’s been significant line movement with UCLA -1.5 to now -4.5.

saw that - if leaning Boise, you gotta wait now and see how high it goes

BTW - not selling the play - just explaining the PROCESS
I love it and appreciate it. UCLA had a decent defense but it looks like some key players could be out? The biggest alert I’ve seen is how the Boise St HC was talking like the 3rd stringer and walkon were competing for reps. When a walkon could get into the mix vs a decent defense, I’m almost on auto play to go against the inexperienced QB’s.

Last 8 bowl seasons 183-105
* one unit plays 73-29
* smaller 110-76

2023 reg season 130-112
* one unit 46-42
* smaller 84-70
> 1H 16-16
> 2H/live 15-4

Will have much more later, but for now recall;
>> pick the SU winner, esp. in early games - spread matters more in later games - so don't get in a hurry to grab early lines - unless you're confident who is gonna coach and play! Note I like to guess myself - but this is not recommended ha. Play the shorter dog, and a few big ones on the ML, esp in the early games. Don't have the updated numbers, but typically dogs win about 25% during the regular season / 35-40% in bowls.

one unit

Wyoming -1'
Boise +2/3
Auburn -1'
NW +7'
Hokies -4'
Fla St +14'
UTSA -8'
SJSU -9
OU +3'
AF +3'

smaller

Iowa +7'
Wisky +10'
WVirg -3
Rutgers +3'
Ga St -2'
USF +3'
Rice +5

leans/waiting

Miami, O
Ark St - Watch-out Rocky's last game tho
LOUISVILLE
Boston College
*Oregon State*
Penn St
Liberty 1H? >
Ducks live/2H

Irish / Beavs a great example of profitable bowl strategy ....
>> Irish are the obvious choice right? - BUT you're telling me the SUN BOWL is where the Irish wanted to be? What this means is that their bowl prep will be total, absolute shit. Beav situation is chaotic sure - but they're playing NOTRE DAME. They should be at a serious athletic disadvantage but will play their ass off, and getting (13/14 probably) in a meaningless bowl.

What I try and do - is restrict one unit plays to those with the motivational edge - the team that is clearly there to win. This game is HUGE for them, not so much for their opponent. I may like a play a lot, but if I don't see a strong motivational edge, I make it a smaller play. Looking back, my losses have been when I stray from this strategy.

All the best this holiday season boys ........ :shake: :shake:
You are a living legend, my friend. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you putting these together each year. I almost had an actual panic attack when I thought I forgot to bookmark this page last year. LOL. Made me a lot of coin on your Bowl picks last year and excited to see what we can do this year.

As a small token of my appreciation, I figured I would provide you with the numbers you had mentioned not having in front of you:
Note I like to guess myself - but this is not recommended ha. Play the shorter dog, and a few big ones on the ML, esp in the early games. Don't have the updated numbers, but typically dogs win about 25% during the regular season / 35-40% in bowls.
RE:

Since 2013 (L10 seasons)
Regular Season Dogs:
SU:
2381-7930-0 (-13.68, 23.1%)
ATS: 5032-5028-251 (-0.08, 50.0%)

Bowl Season Dogs:
SU
: 121-234-0 (-6.92, 34.1%)
ATS: 171-175-9 (-1.01, 49.4%)

Regular Season Short Dogs (PK to +3.5):
SU:
895-1058-0 (-1.60, 45.8%)
ATS: 1010-891-52 (0.89, 53.1%)

Bowl Season Short Dogs (PK to +3.5):
SU:
49-77-0 (-4.33, 38.9%)
ATS: 58-62-6 (-1.89, 48.3%)

To no one's surprise, short dogs generally perform better, which makes sense considering the implied probability of winning is between 40-50%. However, there is a misnomer around shorter dogs performing better in bowls vs regular season (at least over the last 10 years ). As you can see from the numbers above, short dogs dip in performance from the regular season to bowl season (likely because of the availability of info, leaked information to the public, pick services, and general over-steaming of the market, etc.). However, there is a sweet spot to hone in on. Bowl Season Dogs of +1 to +6.5 w/ a Total greater than 48 points:

Since 2013:
Bowl Season Dogs of < 1 TD + Total > 48:
SU:
80-102-0 (-3.39, 44.0%)
ATS: 96-83-3 (0.23, 53.6%)

This performance is more in line with dogs during the regular season. My theory is one of two reasons: 1). Disrespect: You have a team catching points that shouldn't be, and the total reflects the lack of opt-outs, meaning both sides should be close to full strength. But clearly, the motivation for the dogs is to prove they belong in the bowl game. 2) Mixed Market: whether there are conflicting reports/news, lines being over bet and bet back, or just a lack of consensus on the motivated side, the uncertainty provides much larger (and more +EV) edges in the market.

OR it could all just be random and meaningless haha but figured it was worth a share since you're always doing all the hard work. Thanks again for all you do BA!!

You are a living legend, my friend. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you putting these together each year. I almost had an actual panic attack when I thought I forgot to bookmark this page last year. LOL. Made me a lot of coin on your Bowl picks last year and excited to see what we can do this year.

As a small token of my appreciation, I figured I would provide you with the numbers you had mentioned not having in front of you:

RE:

Since 2013 (L10 seasons)
Regular Season Dogs:
SU:
2381-7930-0 (-13.68, 23.1%)
ATS: 5032-5028-251 (-0.08, 50.0%)

Bowl Season Dogs:
SU
: 121-234-0 (-6.92, 34.1%)
ATS: 171-175-9 (-1.01, 49.4%)

Regular Season Short Dogs (PK to +3.5):
SU:
895-1058-0 (-1.60, 45.8%)
ATS: 1010-891-52 (0.89, 53.1%)

Bowl Season Short Dogs (PK to +3.5):
SU:
49-77-0 (-4.33, 38.9%)
ATS: 58-62-6 (-1.89, 48.3%)

To no one's surprise, short dogs generally perform better, which makes sense considering the implied probability of winning is between 40-50%. However, there is a misnomer around shorter dogs performing better in bowls vs regular season (at least over the last 10 years ). As you can see from the numbers above, short dogs dip in performance from the regular season to bowl season (likely because of the availability of info, leaked information to the public, pick services, and general over-steaming of the market, etc.). However, there is a sweet spot to hone in on. Bowl Season Dogs of +1 to +6.5 w/ a Total greater than 48 points:

Since 2013:
Bowl Season Dogs of < 1 TD + Total > 48:
SU:
80-102-0 (-3.39, 44.0%)
ATS: 96-83-3 (0.23, 53.6%)

This performance is more in line with dogs during the regular season. My theory is one of two reasons: 1). Disrespect: You have a team catching points that shouldn't be, and the total reflects the lack of opt-outs, meaning both sides should be close to full strength. But clearly, the motivation for the dogs is to prove they belong in the bowl game. 2) Mixed Market: whether there are conflicting reports/news, lines being over bet and bet back, or just a lack of consensus on the motivated side, the uncertainty provides much larger (and more +EV) edges in the market.

OR it could all just be random and meaningless haha but figured it was worth a share since you're always doing all the hard work. Thanks again for all you do BA!!
To add, current qualifying teams that fall under the criteria within the earlier slate of games are:

- Ohio (+145)
- LAF (+120)
- Fresno (+165)
- Boise (+175)
- CAL (+135)
- WKU (+120)

If you change the criteria to the above and ONLY include Bowl Games within the first week:
Since 2013:
SU: 10-11-0 (-2.52, 47.6%)
ATS: 10-11-0 (1.43, 47.6%)

Then, by god, it looks like you have something solid! (obviously keeping in mind to pick the right spots, which you have already laid out the foundation for)

To add, current qualifying teams that fall under the criteria within the earlier slate of games are:

- Ohio (+145)
- LAF (+120)
- Fresno (+165)
- Boise (+175)
- CAL (+135)
- WKU (+120)

If you change the criteria to the above and ONLY include Bowl Games within the first week:
Since 2013:
SU: 10-11-0 (-2.52, 47.6%)
ATS: 10-11-0 (1.43, 47.6%)

Then, by god, it looks like you have something solid! (obviously keeping in mind to pick the right spots, which you have already laid out the foundation for)

damn man thanks !

Happy Holidays - all the best buddy ............... :shake:

Ohio is falling into the same play against with their 3rd string QB as well.

Their QB matters even less than Boise's - Their D is actually super tough - ST is among the nation's best - featuring the top K in the country - I'll be on Miami at 7/7' - they'll hand it off - short passes - ugly the hell outta that game

Boise starter is fr Tiller - 'competition' talk is just coach-speak

Their QB matters even less than Boise's - Their D is actually super tough - ST is among the nation's best - featuring the top K in the country - I'll be on Miami at 7/7' - they'll hand it off - short passes - ugly the hell outta that game

Are you talking about Miami Oh or Ohio? Sorry, I'm just confused.....lol

I was talking about Ohio, not Miami Ohio.

smaller for now

Okie St +3

Cannot see how the Aggies show up here - their 2nd teamers tho might be better than OSU's 1st - do think the Fighting Gundy's win

Last edited:
Raising a glass to you BA….its fixing to get exciting partner. I tipped Tex Tech -2.5 (-115) to a full play…congratulations u CALbears helluva season, made me money.
Time to Zag,gimme west Tex kids with nothing to lose at this point. Red Raiders -2.5 (taxed). May the turnovers and special teams be lucky to you all through the bowls Assassin. I still got that glass raised BA

Raising a glass to you BA….its fixing to get exciting partner. I tipped Tex Tech -2.5 (-115) to a full play…congratulations u CALbears helluva season, made me money.
Time to Zag,gimme west Tex kids with nothing to lose at this point. Red Raiders -2.5 (taxed). May the turnovers and special teams be lucky to you all through the bowls Assassin. I still got that glass raised BA

might add that one too - off huge season ending win over UCLA, don't see them getting up for SHREVEPORT ha ..... Tech off a really disappointing season can use the win, but this is a stretch for them too - maybe an over call? - can't see much D being played here

Oreg St made the list yet? Hartman not gonna play and I think all their receivers entered the portal....
not now at <7 ....

Might as well wait if you like the Beavs - late Irish money might push it back to 7+. Games like that I'll wait closer to kick-off to get a better feel ....
>> shoulda hit it at 10'/12 in spots early - just a terrible ending to the season for the Irish.

Main reason not to play now? > looking like a chump / passing on 10+ / drooling on myself for a few WEEKS > then playing the 6' FFS !? ..... :shocked:

I'll probably play them small at 7 - with a bit on the ML

Last edited:
bumping up Okie St at 3

added smaller

A Jeanty over 25.5 (receiving) yards - tough to run on UCLA -- makes sense to get him the ball outside (great receiver)
J Ott over 104 rushing - kinda like Cal here to compete / TT might pull away late - Ott should get it a ton vs a BAD run D
Boise / UCLA 1H under 24

damn man thanks !

Happy Holidays - all the best buddy ............... :shake:
Same to you brotha!

QQ - Do you ever buy-out of Bowl positions that move against you too much? Or does it depend on the legs behind the steam (i.e. opt-out news vs. pick service steam, etc.)?

Same to you brotha!

QQ - Do you ever buy-out of Bowl positions that move against you too much? Or does it depend on the legs behind the steam (i.e. opt-out news vs. pick service steam, etc.)?

Buy OUT of MY positions? > you can't be serious !

haha

Truth be told - I'm too dumb of a math guy to hedge/buy out of anything really. I usually put in the work - stick with what my research suggests.....
>> but sure in bowls I do it sometimes, but probably not enough - NEVER from the movement alone / someone else's opinion- plus in bowls, dumb money can move lines.

Injuries - late opt outs - the dreaded late OPT BACK IN .... weather. Last year I should have bought out QUICKLY of my S Alabama bet - when WKU POOF! not only shows up with a buncha damn guys that weren't supposed to be there, but looked like 2019 LSU ......DUMB.

A really smart guy with the time / brain power should really be ready to buy out of (most) every bet. That ain't me, but here's a few....

Boise - QB wasn't really that good, BUT freshman might be in over his head. If so, and their OL can't protect - they're struggling to run, and allowing penetration - I might look to play UCLA live/2H - probably smaller than what I've risked on Boise (1.25 units or so). Boise bet is based on a UCLA no show mostly.

Ga St - small bet, bet I wasn't expecting all the opt outs for GSU. If it's minus 20 and snowing > Utah St it is probably

Miami, O - another QB that no way in hell should have entered the portal (with Boise guy) - I like Miami here tho, esp. getting 7 - but App St might have an athletic / speed edge - new QB might not be ready to play. I don't think he'll be asked to do much, but if ASU is moving the ball, Miami might not be able to keep up.

$$ The great thing about bowls is that a teams level of play seldom changes once a game begins. Practically NEVER in the early bowls. Meaning if UCLA is kicking Boise's ass early - Boise won't POOF! just magically take over in the 2H. The one exception is if they have a dominant player - usually the QB of course, PLAYING IN HIS FINAL GAME. OR a coach, his final game.
>> Like IF C Williams or Sam Hartman were playing

eg. this year - UTSA!!! - NIU (maybe) - Ga St (maybe) - SJSU (maybe) - WYOMING (HC) - OREGON !!!!!!!!

* IF Liberty somehow is dominating Oregon early - Bo Nix looks terrible - immediately borrow cash - put your old lady on the street - pimp out your dog, whatever - bet Oregon large to come back and win (not necessarily cover)- same with UTSA (Dr Frank Harris). To a lesser degree Rocky Lombardi - Darren Grainger - C Cordeiro.
QB's with long and/or distinguished careers will play their butt off to go out on a high note.

Last edited:
The beauty of primarily betting against teams on my fade list is regardless of what happens to the other team...it doesn't diminish the fade teams. They make that list for a reason.

extra small - really same as playing Miami ..... more if you haven't / won't play Miami

R Amos over 85 rushing

That App St D has given up a ton to fine RB's - Amos usually only gets about 15 carries - with running QB out, he should get much more here
>> K Vidal and F Gore went for about 250 vs ASU

Listen to the assassin. A fuckin legend. Better than any of that bullshit over at covers and cocky wahoo who thinks he moves lines, and makes up non existent numbers at the opener nobody can grab.. Us guys over here were there long before him..reading his thread over there with train, got a little chuckle because both of them damn near quit almost every year by the 8th week from losing. Just thought I'd say it here since I'm banned over there.

Crush it sir.

Listen to the assassin. A fuckin legend. Better than any of that bullshit over at covers and cocky wahoo who thinks he moves lines, and makes up non existent numbers at the opener nobody can grab.. Us guys over here were there long before him..reading his thread over there with train, got a little chuckle because both of them damn near quit almost every year by the 8th week from losing. Just thought I'd say it here since I'm banned over there.

Crush it sir.
Man if I quit posting after 8 weeks and getting shellacked you'd lose half my content! Maybe it would be for the best...

Buy OUT of MY positions? > you can't be serious !

haha

Truth be told - I'm too dumb of a math guy to hedge/buy out of anything really. I usually put in the work - stick with what my research suggests.....
>> but sure in bowls I do it sometimes, but probably not enough - NEVER from the movement alone / someone else's opinion- plus in bowls, dumb money can move lines.

Injuries - late opt outs - the dreaded late OPT BACK IN .... weather. Last year I should have bought out QUICKLY of my S Alabama bet - when WKU POOF! not only shows up with a buncha damn guys that weren't supposed to be there, but looked like 2019 LSU ......DUMB.

A really smart guy with the time / brain power should really be ready to buy out of (most) every bet. That ain't me, but here's a few....

Boise - QB wasn't really that good, BUT freshman might be in over his head. If so, and their OL can't protect - they're struggling to run, and allowing penetration - I might look to play UCLA live/2H - probably smaller than what I've risked on Boise (1.25 units or so). Boise bet is based on a UCLA no show mostly.

Ga St - small bet, bet I wasn't expecting all the opt outs for GSU. If it's minus 20 and snowing > Utah St it is probably

Miami, O - another QB that no way in hell should have entered the portal (with Boise guy) - I like Miami here tho, esp. getting 7 - but App St might have an athletic / speed edge - new QB might not be ready to play. I don't think he'll be asked to do much, but if ASU is moving the ball, Miami might not be able to keep up.

$$ The great thing about bowls is that a teams level of play seldom changes once a game begins. Practically NEVER in the early bowls. Meaning if UCLA is kicking Boise's ass early - Boise won't POOF! just magically take over in the 2H. The one exception is if they have a dominant player - usually the QB of course, PLAYING IN HIS FINAL GAME. OR a coach, his final game.
>> Like IF C Williams or Sam Hartman were playing

eg. this year - UTSA!!! - NIU (maybe) - Ga St (maybe) - SJSU (maybe) - WYOMING (HC) - OREGON !!!!!!!!

* IF Liberty somehow is dominating Oregon early - Bo Nix looks terrible - immediately borrow cash - put your old lady on the street - pimp out your dog, whatever - bet Oregon large to come back and win (not necessarily cover)- same with UTSA (Dr Frank Harris). To a lesser degree Rocky Lombardi - Darren Grainger - C Cordeiro.
QB's with long and/or distinguished careers will play their butt off to go out on a high note.
Thanks, BA, this is super helpful. I was genuinely curious as part of your mantra is to follow the moves/vs fading them, so I wasn't sure if market confirmation strongly influenced a particular position. Thanks again; keep up the great work! Excited for BS tomorrow! (Yes, both bowl season and bull shit as a result from said bowl season HA)

Crush it sir.
very much the TRUTH!!! B.A. #1....tremendo!!!

extra small - really same as playing Miami ..... more if you haven't / won't play Miami

R Amos over 85 rushing

That App St D has given up a ton to fine RB's - Amos usually only gets about 15 carries - with running QB out, he should get much more here
>> K Vidal and F Gore went for about 250 vs ASU
#85... should be looking @ two more ncaab games in addition to INDIANA @ 12:30 p.m. , three possibly in all!!!

Crush it sir.
giphy.gif

Crush it sir.
Bunch of goobers over there for sure....nothings changed in 20 years...But Wahoo and Train have good info and they provide entertainment....a lot of what they say is meant for comedy....just sarcasm. Just football is fine, but there's value in different angles.....

Bunch of goobers over there for sure....nothings changed in 20 years...But Wahoo and Train have good info and they provide entertainment....a lot of what they say is meant for comedy....just sarcasm. Just football is fine, but there's value in different angles.....

Yeah, I got a little carried away with my post... To say the least lol. Nice guys and funny. But BA is a legend and a real one. I think those guys are a little full of themselves sometimes, but that's the whole board over there for sure.

Yeah, I got a little carried away with my post... To say the least lol. Nice guys and funny. But BA is a legend and a real one. I think those guys are a little full of themselves sometimes, but that's the whole board over there for sure.
BA is the truth no matter what. But of all the dudes over there in the college football forum, those 2 at least are entertaining and bring some discussion to the board and answer questions and try to help.....when most people just wanna focus on themselves.

Only been in the covers board a couple times, once was trying to talk tuckfexas of the ledge

The posts with money bags and flames made me want to vomit, thank GOD that isn't a thing here

Probably got the 'rona from visiting that site

VIOLATES MY RULE KINDA - SO DON'T DO IT ....... :cool:

NMSU - 1/2 2H

I think NMSU is an exception - Fresno might struggle to fight for 4Q

BA is the truth no matter what. But of all the dudes over there in the college football forum, those 2 at least are entertaining and bring some discussion to the board and answer questions and try to help.....when most people just wanna focus on themselves.

All true.

VIOLATES MY RULE KINDA - SO DON'T DO IT ....... :cool:

NMSU - 1/2 2H

I think NMSU is an exception - Fresno might struggle to fight for 4Q
IDIOT ha - never works in bowls - unless a dominant QB or special intangibles
>> you like UCLA 2H? - practically no way they come back / take over the game

Much appreciated - but you guys are crazy ha - these games are getting tougher, I'm getting dumber ...... :shocked:

Back