Week 2 Games--What Games Do You Think Could Be Good Plays?

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Trying to look ahead 2 weeks as the season goes on this year to highlight games that could be good plays. What are the games in Week 2 that could be good plays?

OK, I'll start--

FSU v. Troy--FSU sandwich game between Miami and a revenge game with Clemson.

Iowa @ Syracuse--Possible look ahead game for Iowa with ISU coming to town the next week.

Michigan v. CMU--Possible look ahead game with Notre Dame coming up the next week.

Iowa State v. UNLV--Possible look ahead game with trip to Iowa the next week.

Army v. Kent State--Possible flat spot for Army after revenge road trip to Ark State and big road trip to San Antonio to play A&M on a neutral field.

Notre Dame v. Penn State--Possible sandwich game between GTech and Michigan, Penn State being "lesser" competition.

ASU v. Nevada--Possible look ahead for ASU with bigger OOC opponent the next week (Colorado).

Stanford v. SJSU--Possible sandwich game for Stanford after Oregon and before Navy.

Thats along the line of games I was looking at.

I love sandwich games and look aheads.

Imma looking right now and will be back with thoughts soon.

Iowa fade could be real good as its a lookahead w/revenge

Yall boys are crazy we still have like 3 weeks til week 1. I love it haha

Well abcs...think about it...we spend weeks on week one and then we get 5-6 days for week 2.

Capping the next week can sometimes help uyou win in the current week IMO

B.A.R. said:
Well abcs...think about it...we spend weeks on week one and then we get 5-6 days for week 2.

Capping the next week can sometimes help uyou win in the current week IMO

Exactly. Plus you want to look at motivation and emotional strength and how it will fluctuate over the season. In the beginning of the season, that means looking at the upcoming week and maybe the 3rd week. During the season, look at the past week for letdowns and following week for lookaheads.

I just realized I've only looked at the full season schedule for half the teams and now have to look at the other half. Got my homework set out for today.

Well...Okalhoma and Oregon play in week 3 at Autzen

Quick rematch of last years OU bowl victory

The week before:

Oregon is at Fresno St

Oklahoma hosts Washington

Oregon may be looking ahead to a revenge game/top 5 team(even without Bomar) coming into their house.

I am sure Sooner will have some thoughts here.

I may make a play on Fresno State in that game Oregon comes to town. Fresno State is a giant-killer and they will be up for this game! They are none to friendly with teams whenever they come to the pit. If Oregon looks ahead here, and I think they will, FSU could be the play.

I'll know more about Oklahoma after week #1. I think they are going to be fine with Paul Thompson behind center, he doesn't usually make a lot of mistakes. BUT, I want to see how well our offensive line performs.

SoonerBS said:
I may make a play on Fresno State in that game Oregon comes to town. Fresno State is a giant-killer and they will be up for this game! They are none to friendly with teams whenever they come to the pit. If Oregon looks ahead here, and I think they will, FSU could be the play.

I'll know more about Oklahoma after week #1. I think they are going to be fine with Paul Thompson behind center, he doesn't usually make a lot of mistakes. BUT, I want to see how well our offensive line performs.

Remember that this is also a revenge situation for Fresno State (back to back revenge games) after losing a narrow one at Autzen. They will be more than up for this one and for Nevada.

With respect to OU, Thompson will be ok at QB with new OC running a spread offense ala NW. However, Thompson was one of their top WRs and now that unit is down with his loss. OL is dangerously thin and probably won't be able to get through the year as is. I really wonder if Stoops will move some of his 2 and 3 deep DLs to OL to shore it up this year.

Other week 2 situations:

Louisville @ Temple--Sandwich game for UL between Kentucky and Miami.

More week 2 situations--

Pitt @ Cincy--Sandwich game between two non-conf home games, Virginia and Michigan St.

Rutgers v. Illinois--Revenge game for Rutgers.

KSU v. FAU--Possible look ahead spot with Marshall coming into town the next week (last year very close game).

OU v. Washington--Possible look ahead spot with trip to Oregon the next week. Less likely now that they need to get Thompson reps.

I like that AF one a bit already.

I believe that the Rutgers loss at Illy last year was a tough one to take. Thats the kinda revenge I like

B.A.R. said:
I like that AF one a bit already.

I believe that the Rutgers loss at Illy last year was a tough one to take. Thats the kinda revenge I like

I agree. That close Rutgers loss was a bitter pill. No way they lose later in the season.

Like to see how AF moves the ball and that AF+points may be the play.

More angles--

Auburn v. Miss St.--Possible sandwich between Wash St. and LSU.

Florida v. UCF--Possible look ahead spot with roadie to Tennessee the next week.

Lets also remember that many are contingent upon week one. If Arky somehow upsets USC...then you gotta look at a letdown factor vs USU next week.

Ball St getting big brother IU at home. Should be interesting.

I'm an NCSU grad, and I always look for the games the wolfpack piss away every year. I'm hoping like hell NC State performs well in week 1 and Akron does poorly. Then in week 2 Akron rebounds and State shits the bed. It's the kind of game that, for whatever reason, the wolfpack doesn't bother getting prepared for. Perhaps the Boston College college and FSU games will detract from their attention, too.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw the vast instability of NCSU out there. My wife will hate how often I bet against our guys this year...

B.A.R. said:
Lets also remember that many are contingent upon week one. If Arky somehow upsets USC...then you gotta look at a letdown factor vs USU next week.

Ball St getting big brother IU at home. Should be interesting.

Absolutely. Some games will be lost as potential angles depending on Week 1...and a few others may be added, but I think this is a pretty all encompassing list. So probably just subtractions.

No doubt RJ

We need this kinda thread the week before each week. I think its very helpful for "both" weeks capping purposes.

If UCLA shits the bed vs Utah we may get a decent less-than-30 spread vs Rice.........of course I know how down everyone is on the Bruins this year.

ASU vs Nevada...........I'm hoping ASU gets seriously overvalued here

Minny @ Cal...........man, the scenarios that week 1 will set up here. 2nd straight roadie for Minn, Cal either real high or real low with a 1-aa opp up next......

WSU vs Idaho.........Erickson has to love this & could catch WSU off-guard
if they get waxed @ Auburn.

Never too early to ponder.........

Heres what I am looking at. You maybe surprised that these sandwhich games actually have no effect on covering games as many you think would colap;se by looking ahead in reality don't if you just look at past records in Phil Steele so I am not going to explain why I am looking at a game b/c of that specific scenario. Ok well here they are:

AU- anything from -17 or better

Purdue- -14 or better

PSU/ND- Under if that line is right...thinking it will be around 49.5 area???

TAMU- -24 or better

CSU- dogs of any number...look at recent history on this matchup

VT- 7-2 ATS v. ACC on the road

Clemson- if they are a dog...5-0 ATS v. ACC as a dog

Nevada- looking for 2TDs...Keller is gone, how fast can #2 step in and play

Oregon- less than -10 and I will look hard

AZ- I'd love to see as a dog of 20+

USF- -14 or less

ISU- -7 or better

AFA- will most liely play if I can catch +8 or more

Houston- -13 or better

ECU- under a TD I'd like

Arkansas- -14 or better

N.Illinois- want as favs of under 2TDs

Toledo- 9-2 ATS v. MAC Michigan schools

Michigan- Looking for favs of -24 or better...9-2 ATS v. B10 CMU is

Kent St.- Most likely a play as a dog of any

I know its early and theres still a lot to watch before guessing on lines for week 2 so please go easy on criticism hahaha. Anyways let me know if any stick out to you. Later fellas

Does anyone know where to find the matchup lists for Week 2 in the same order that the books will have them?

Back