• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Week 1 in the FCS

I appreciate that man. I’m straight up old school in that I have a notebook where I have all my target lines jotted down before games are posted, that way I can fire away without overthinking it.

Im a notebook and pen guy myself.

I have so many papers laying around me all the time with pens and books and high lighters. I print out everything and take notes. I do type a lot of notes, but when I read I need to be able mark on it and go back and read it again. Then I write down all my plays and stuff. It's kind of a lot of work just doing that stuff.

I have so many papers laying around me all the time with pens and books and high lighters. I print out everything and take notes. I do type a lot of notes, but when I read I need to be able mark on it and go back and read it again. Then I write down all my plays and stuff. It's kind of a lot of work just doing that stuff.
Writing something seems to log it into my memory much more than typing it

Going to pick up and run through some more games. So I kind of do this like thinking out loud and in line with what I just posted above, I go back a reread what I said, does it make sense, is there anything else that needs questioned or said or whatever.

I'm going to find a TV to put the Merrimack - Holy Cross game on tomorrow. Last time here two years ago Merrimack upset them as 4-TD dog. HC is so good,Sluka is pretty damn cool, but they do occasionally have some WTF games and Merrimack could play them tight considering some of the losses HC has on D. I actually was involved in some Merrimack games last year but I can't remember how I felt about the QB and am confused if the better QB was the guy who is gone or back. Still, these teams have some history and might be competive, maybe. Will be a big spread high 20s maybe low 30s even I assume.

Two games this summer I thought could be surprising upsets I don't like any more - those being Garner Webb at App St and EKU at Cincy. EKU at Cincy would still have a shot because of their QB and offense, but their D is pretty worrisome and I really don't know anything about Cincy other than their DL is good. Now that I'm saying this, I might trust EKU because who knows how things are going to come together for the Cincy O with all the newness. GW is going to be a different team and their close games and near upsets from last year... their QB was conference O POY and he's gone, all the receivers are gone, nearly the entirity of a good FCS OL is gone - they going to go into Boone NC and win with D? Doubtful, I'm not interested in taking any pts with GW, but I could with EKU.

That Eastern Washington - North Dakota State game is going to need watched. Can EWash rebound after a terrible year last year? Pretty good chance they are better, but what does better look like? Hard team to forcast. NDSU should be vulnerable in the secondary losing their top 5 DBs so that is something there. NDSU run game should be fine as it always is. Last year I was pretty critical of NDSU and their QB Miller and a lot of people are banging on them this year. I'm a little more cautious in doubting them this year, but it is pretty clear to everyone that they aren't as good as they once were and the QB play Miller has delivered is not good enough. So could be a interesting game if EW fields a capable passing O. Read they had OC and DC changes last year, and well, that didn't go too well. Year two now, what happens? Line will be interesting as well. I might guess it opens around 2 TDs and gets bet up. 21 or higher I might take EW. Game is at neutral site Viking's stadium and ticket sales have been very poor, stadium is going to look kind of bad with all the empty seats. Bison fans not real excited.

Can Bryant beat UNLV? UNLV does not have a good track record as a favorite, which of course it does not happen often. Bryant isn't bad really. Good experienced QB, experienced receivers and OL tells me they will know what they are doing and should be able to move and score. What UNLV O tries to do and how Bryant D matches up with that I'm not sure. Bryant was in a similar spot last year traveling to FIU who had an all new coaching staff and they lost in OT. I think Bryant actually led and FIU had to come back to tie rather improbably and then FIU went for a 4th down in OT and got some kind of contested crazy catch. But anyway Bryant is good as a dog. URI did roll them, but covered DD spread vs playoff bound Garner Webb only losing by 8, upset Campbell on the road as TD dog, only lost to HC by 7 catching over 3 TDs. Bryant is a target.

North Dakota is another target. Like our friend Duck has been saying when it comes to the Pioneer League, it's Drake at North Dakota. I probably more selective and could pick and choose a spot and this kind of looks like a spot that North Dakota should win big. Will want to get the number at open as it could be in the 30s and quickly go up to near or over 40. North Dakota is pretty loaded and sounds like they have very good depth as well. Drake on paper doesn't sound completely awful, but I pretty much expect them to be awful in this game. North Dakota can lay wood to inferior teams and actually have pasted Drake a few times going back to 2021 and 2019 by combined 85-7 scores.

I kind of want to think that South Carolina State can have a bounce back improved game at Charlotte, but their QB play was so bad, both their QBs and that concerns me that it might not be so easy to all of a sudden make them more accurate or better decisions. But do think that in other areas SC State will show better than they did last week and it's all new for Charlotte - 40 transfers! Last time SC State took on a team with that many transfers, well, oh yeah. Only a very generous number might draw me in.

Bunch of the later games I haven't even looked at yet.

I guess there has been some trash talk coming from Southern Miss in the lead up to Alcorn coming to Hattiesburg. Alcorn has never beaten them in 3 tries. 38-10 2019 and 26-20 2014 are the two most recent. Alcorn will have a lot of fans there.

We were talking Northern Iowa. I saw the line. 17 and +700. That is higher than I thought it would be. I bet that. Now it is 14.5 and +510

Only thing I know via bunch of social media is that ISU is planning on playing both Becht and Koch at QB. Makes sense since neither has seen real game time yet, both 4 star recruits so likely the trial and err on the fly to see who can adapt to D1 fastest

Circa Vegas trickling out a few lines, they're moving a little bit, but should give an idea of the range.

By rotation number:

308955 LIU +38
962 Jax St -15
977 Bryant +17
309001 SEMO +30
006 Memphis -48
016 UTEP -7'

Picking up with the rest of the games that I was looking at...

Albany is a team to watch this year, but Marshall is capable of blowing them out. As good as Poffenbarger is and as good as their DL looked last week, I would not think they do well here and Marshall typically comes out to start the season strong. With that said, Albany is a team that has lost to FBS 10-69 at Baylor last year (+41.5) and at Cuse 24-62 (+22). I don't think it will be that bad.

I have never watched St Thomas play. Not sure I will today, but they are one hell of a story jumping from Dlll to the Pioneer League where they will likely keep winning conference titles yet be ineligible to actually be the playoff representative. They got something going on there for sure.

I would want to take Fordham on a bounce back. Don't like CJ Montes at QB, that worries me as he is probably the only way they don't cover a big number at home hosting Wagner. Week zero went poorly for Fordham at Albany, but this is a different situation and they should really win handily - Wagner routinely gets blown out and the team is once again weak. This line will in the 30s I'm sure. Definitely a get right game - I hope that they lean more on the run game and their advantage at OL vs Wagner run D here rather than force Montes to be something he is not at QB. Considering who they lost at QB, it is square peg round hole if they think Montes can run an offense like that.

Duck informed us of the hazing scandal at San Diego. Cal Poly was bad last year although offensively as we were also told by Jimmymo super recruit Sam Huard has transfered here and has been named starter. I'm not normally a bet against the team with players out kind of person, but this sounds pretty significant and if we can get the best of the opening line atleast that is something to shoot for.

I think I will keep an eye out for a high number on Alcorn at USM. There is going to be a lot of passion in that game I feel like and could be worth watching.

Central Arkansas is supposed to be good this year after back-to-back 5-6 seasons. I definitely have them circled to play at NDSU week 3. At Oklahoma State would not seem to be the ideal spot to play them .... but, and I honestly do not know much about OSU here, but how good is Alan Bowman these days? Phil's book rates their QB group 11, RB 7, WR 10, OL 12 in the Big Xll - those are unfamiliar group ranking for OSU offensively so it would appear they are down on that side of the ball. OSU doesn't perform the best in these type games. Did win 58-44 in a noncover vs Cen Mich last year and smoked a bad Ark Pine Bluff team. 2021 they only beat Mizzou St 23-16 laying 38 in the opener. 2020 only beat Tulsa 16-7 laying 23.5 in that opener. On the flip side, UCA has not played well when facing FBS....such as losing by 56 at Ole Miss last year or losing by 19 to Ark St two years ago in the opener and 23 pts the year prior. They also lost by 28 to playoff team EKU last season. It still has my interest assuming the line is like 31 or something.

Chattanooga beat North Alabama by 27 last year. I liked how North Alabama got after it on D last week, but I did not like their offense or QBs much at all. QB is also the question for Chattanooga, they are going with a never played before transfer from UCLA. I hear he held on some place kicks or something, that is the extent of his PT at UCLA. The Mercer game week 0 vs N Ala left a lot of people confused, why did Mercer's O struggle, why did they not try and take advantage of their offensive strengths vs N Ala - or is N Ala's D going to be solid this year? Probably like an Under here depending as Chatt's D is usually good and should be again while N Ala gets to face this older, but really inexperienced QB and their D handled or made the Mercer pass O and WRs last week which would've been a much tougher challenge than this.

MVFC vs Pioneer league special? Well it's just Murray State taking on Presbyterian - line will likely be high anyway. I don't see myself laying a ton of points with MVFC newcoming Murray St do I?

Austin Peay at Southern Illinois should be one of the best games of the day. I like what both offenses have while both defenses have significant losses. Offensive game could be in the cards. Austin Peay plays super fast on O which is great for them if it is working, bad for their D if it sputters. Southern Illinois has a good QB as well and good cast overall on O. I really am not sure who will come out on top as both teams look pretty good at least offensively and from a coaching standpoint. Should be good one.

Montana State has the game vs South Dakota State on deck when they play Utah Tech today. Shouldn't matter

Incarnate Word at UTEP has been a topic of conversation all summer. Definitely want to see how UIW looks, although I still think UTEP wins. Question is what will the number be? Assuming UIW will be favored now, which I was thinking UTEP would be over the summer. Disappointing game from UTEP last week makes this one really important as they go on back-to-back road trips vs P5 teams after today and UIW's recent success no doubt will have UTEP's full attention. Worry about the speed and scheme that UIW will imploy, but then on the other side, UTEP should be able to do what they want on offense as well. Overall, I don't think this reload mirrors what UIW had in 2021 or 2022. Calzada's arm talent playing at this level is an x factor. He's not Lindsey Scott or Cameron Ward who were both really good dual threats - it is going to be different in how the O executes. I'm not on the UIW bandwagon, but many people who follow FCS are still.

I like New Mexico State in a bounce back. I did not see the UMass game, but it sounds like NM ST did not look good, slow. Fortunately for them they play a fairly bad FCS team in Western Illinois, who I assume, UMass would also beat this year. NM State will not play a home game after today until October 4th. Off the disappointment of starting the season with a loss last week, the urgency of getting a win at home, their offensive style vs a poor D like Western Illinois should all lead to a blowout. I'm assuming the line to be about 21/24 but would lay more.

Cody Hawkins (Dan's son) debuts as OC for Idaho State tonight. Rough first game at San Diego State. SD St could name their score, but in typical SD St fashion will probably win a 34-3 noncovering game (last year was 38-7 as 34.5 fav). Not the best large favorite these Aztecs and they do have UCLA on deck, but have to think it is SD State or nothing here, there is nothing to like about Idaho State. I'd guess number is about same as last year, 35-ish and that is a 10:30 start so I'll probably have to lay it to have some action.

Last edited:
Bet Rivers has Jax State -11 right now. Just took that. And they put up the UNI +17 / +700 yesterday late afternoon. That is down to +13 /410 on their app now

handful of other FBS vs FCS up on Bet Rivers, some of the ones I was looking at

Bryant 16.5 / +525

Albany +21.5 / +1100 - not as high as I thought this would be

EKU is a little lower as well at 23.5 / +1200

I might look Under in GW / App St 58.5

Northern Iowa is now 12.5 / 390

Jax St still at 11

I saw the SC State / Charlotte number, but they took it down, it wasn't high enough to draw me in, think it was 21 or 24

I saw the SC State / Charlotte number, but they took it down, it wasn't high enough to draw me in, think it was 21 or 24
My screen is showing CircLV hanging SC St +28 on a total of 48.5

BOL is starting to open.

Bet on line changes quick I see. Man Bet Rivers puts up some numbers. Opening UNI yesterday at 17 / 700 is asleep at the wheel

Bet Rivers moves slow. UNI is still 13 there and Jax St is still 11

Leaning over 57.5 in UTEP game...surprised Word is +7 as I thought it would be 6 or less, but like total better. Gonna wait on BOL to compare vs BM

So far I have

New Mexico State -18.5 at Bet Rives and Bookmaker
Central Ark-27 and small ML +1600 at BR
Alcorn +24 at BR
SEMO +28.5 at BR
GW/AppSt U58.5 at BR
Bryant +16.5 and small ML +525 at BR
Jax St -11 at BR
UNI +17 and medium ML +700 at BL
EKU +23.5 at BR and +24 at BM
San Diego State -34 at BM

Here are my 5 so far...gotta roll out for a bit, so may be it...

FAU -21 123
Cuse -37 112
Arky -33.5 112
Ok St -27 112
NMSU -18 121

Best of luck today man!

I'm jealous of those BetRivers numbers, especially Jax St & UNI...my outs never even got close. Do they list a max bet on the app?

I'm jealous of those BetRivers numbers, especially Jax St & UNI...my outs never even got close. Do they list a max bet on the app?

I do not see anything listed and I'm not a player that would be close to a max. But yeah, they are a good FCS book. No FCS vs FCS lines out yet. Just two games at noon though and one at 12:30 so they're taking their time

pretty sure I saw NM State up as high as 21 and now BM has it at 16.5

Bet Rivers
Nova -17.5 / 46.5
Georgetown 9 / 52.5
Ill St -22 / 45
VMI -6.5 / 54

I took Lehigh +17.5 and small ML. Also took the Georgetown Under. Thought Ill St and VMI would be smaller favs

I do not see anything listed and I'm not a player that would be close to a max. But yeah, they are a good FCS book. No FCS vs FCS lines out yet. Just two games at noon though and one at 12:30 so they're taking their time
Thanks. I'm just trying to get a feel for which books might be used to dummy the lines.

I'll add that App St total to the jealousy list...they've pounded it down to 51.5 now.

Thanks. I'm just trying to get a feel for which books might be used to dummy the lines.

I'll add that App St total to the jealousy list...they've pounded it down to 51.5 now.

You only get week 1 (or zero I guess) once and a lot of things fly over my head, but the totals are largely based off of what teams did last year. Like Fordham with a completely different situation for their team, they are going to score less. As will Garner Webb. Some of those things can be acted upon quickly. Might not always win, but give yourself a better chance. Which is why I took the Georgetown Under too. Opens are very new to me, as in, like the last 8 days.

I guessed wrong on NMSU as it is now 16.5 but don't think it will matter.
Just got home and got Jax State at 16.5 125 at BOL...Not ideal but seeing 18 120 at BM so figure it will keep going up, so taking it before it crosses 17.
Guessed wrong on a couple this am it looks like, but that's the chance you take sometimes, all good.

You only get week 1 (or zero I guess) once and a lot of things fly over my head, but the totals are largely based off of what teams did last year. Like Fordham with a completely different situation for their team, they are going to score less. As will Garner Webb. Some of those things can be acted upon quickly. Might not always win, but give yourself a better chance. Which is why I took the Georgetown Under too. Opens are very new to me, as in, like the last 8 days.
I'll be waiting to join you on the G'Town Under...if it opens north of 52 at my shops.

Openers are good fun, gives us a chance to act as though we're notorious!

I guessed wrong on NMSU as it is now 16.5 but don't think it will matter.
Just got home and got Jax State at 16.5 125 at BOL...Not ideal but seeing 18 120 at BM so figure it will keep going up, so taking it before it crosses 17.
Guessed wrong on a couple this am it looks like, but that's the chance you take sometimes, all good.
Now 19 120 at BOL, so good timing on that one at least

I was prepared to be laying in the 20s on New Mexico State. Concern is, I don't see it listed on BOL at the moment so is there some player news that caused the move and BOL just took it down?

So far I have

New Mexico State -18.5 at Bet Rives and Bookmaker
Central Ark-27 and small ML +1600 at BR
Alcorn +24 at BR
SEMO +28.5 at BR
GW/AppSt U58.5 at BR
Bryant +16.5 and small ML +525 at BR
Jax St -11 at BR
UNI +17 and medium ML +700 at BL
EKU +23.5 at BR and +24 at BM
San Diego State -34 at BM

Added Lehigh +17.5 and +19.5 and small ML
Georgetown Under 52.5
VMI -6
New Hampshire -21

more crazy line movement on the later games.

Did anyone have Fordham -24.5 or -25? With about 6 minutes left in the game they were only up 23 and had missed two xpts! They roughed the Wagner punter in the 1H which eventually led to a Wagner TD. Fordham had a KO return TD called back and an INT return TD called back - although they did go on to score on both of those drives and ended up winning by 30 with Wagner threatening to score as the game ended.

Cal Poly is not a good football team and Sam Huard did not look good either. I don't know who was out for San Diego, thank god because if those players were not out Cal Poly surely would've lost. Huard's receivers do not help him, but he is not accurate, throws at receivers who are well covered, and his receivers don't get open. Not a good debut. They said his high school coach is Cal Poly's OC or something. First game, so we'll see how things go. Game was played as a 7-10 margin most of the night until they finally stretched it to 17. Pretty sure they missed multiple FGs.

VMI, oh VMI. They had a 233-65 1H yardage edge with the first downs at halftime being 15 to 1! - but they only led 6-0 (missed xpt). That missed xpt would be costly for anyone laying 6 or more (me). VMI scored late to take the lead 12-7 and of course went for 2. The QB waited too long to throw for his open receiver and then led him too far and it went off his fingers to make a 5 point win.

New Mexico State looked pretty bad at times in the 1H, like when Western Illinois ran the draw play with under :10 left and NMSU defenders just fell off him as he ran into the EZ. Then Aggies blew their doors off in the 2H.

Memphis? Up 56-7 with 2minutes left, two bench players making their Memphis debut, a QB and RB fumbled a handoff and a Bethune Cookman DL scooped and scored it.

North Dakota blew a couple scoring opportunities in the 1H, then turned it up in the 2H.

MVFC teams YSU, North Dakota and Illinois State did romp their Pioneer League opponents. Add Murray State to that group. But Montana, those Griz fans and Bobby Hauck are in for an unhappy ending.

I thought that North Dakota State looked good, referring to their QBs. Cam Miller did play well and they got the highly ranked recruit QB some package time as well. Think that will be good for them to do that.

There were only a few upsets today and most of them were Dll teams beating MEAC or SWAC teams. One that I am upset with myself for not even playing ATS is North Alabama who won as a 20-something home dog. What I realized is that Chattanooga was starting a UCLA grad transfer QB who's only game action was a couple of place kick hold appearances, but I didn't think they might not be good with him at QB. Chattanooga did not cross midfield on their first 4 possessions, meanwhile the traditionally solid Chatt D allowed North Alabama to go up 21-0. Chatt eventually did comeback to tie in the 4th and the QB threw for over 300y, but with a poor completion %, but I should've thought maybe that was too many pts for a them to lay on the road vs a D I was impressed with week 0. That is one that got away from me.

Morgan State winning at Richmond is another big upset.

SEMO's lack of competitiveness was surprising. They just couldn't run at all and their offense wasn't well equipt to try and pass the ball with their OL failing them like that. I guess that was pretty surprising and I didn't expect K St O to just have their way with them but maybe I should've. I did think that Central Ark could compete. Hurts they had TWO TDs called back by penalty in the 1Q and then missed a FG on that possession. They made it a game, but just weren't good enough to pull it off.

Merrimack and Holy Cross was a really good game until HC and their championship pedigree asserted themselves and pulled away in the second half. Albany played one hell of a game as well. I was able to get on some live bets with them, but did not think they would play so strong vs Marshall. That Albany team has come a long way from the team that would get blown out the last couple years vs an FBS power, now they take one to the wire. Pretty good improvement out of them.

Other than losing every total I took and having some misreads on the FBS vs FCS games, I was happy with how things went. First time ever I watched FCS games exclusively and it's, well, different. I think it will get better once teams get into their conference games.

I'll do more of a game by game recap or just mention some things in a day or two. Anything you guys saw you want to draw attention to?

Oh, I'll add one other thing, the Marist - Georgetown Under. First of all the 52.5 was on life support the entire 4th Q really after they scored 21 in the 1Q and had 28 at HT. But it was hanging on with the combined score at 49 points. Georgetown went on a long clock killing drive, and they scored! But wait, a penalty, they didn't score - and wouldn't. So Marist gets the ball back with a couple minutes left. I look away and I see Georgetown players all happy .... what happened - oh just your Under crushing 51y pick six with 1 minute left.

Last edited:
Another 5-1 on Saturday…why am I wasting my time (and money) on FBS???

Looking forward to another great week of discussion, fun stuff!

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
Another 5-1 on Saturday…why am I wasting my time (and money) on FBS???

Looking forward to another great week of discussion, fun stuff!
Don't fall in love, the bite is lethal!

Complete fade mode on NMSU and UTEP though, they completely outperformed last year and the letdown is what I'm betting on

Back