Week 10 - Things That Perplex(ed) Me

Frank Costanza

Co-Inventor of the Man's Bra
- Teams that continue to think that the shotgun / pistol is a good move on 4th and a 1/2 yard with the game on the line. Tulsa. You've got a big QB. Put two big FBs behind him to push him, and sneak the damn ball. It's not been outlawed. Nothing like taking the snap 6 yards behind the LOS when you just need a 1/2 yard to win the game.
- O-line coaches teach a lot of technique, etc. But at the top of the list needs to be the react, when opposing d-lines jump. I saw Purdue do this, so well, multiple times yesterday but the vast majority of o-lines don't do it to draw the offsides. Simple, you see the d-line guy move into the neutral zone, then you move as well. Weird that it's not a given.
- Kicking a FG on the other's team 40, with two yards to go on your first drive, Nick? I know you're a conservative coach and the best in the history of the game. But helluva way to jump start your team.
- Rules, or maybe my knowledge. Nebraska gets a pick yesterday, blocks in the back on the return. Ohio State gets a late hit on the return. The late hit is enforced. The block in the back isn't. Maybe I shouldn't feel dumb. Klatt didn't address it / have an explanation and he's pretty damn good.
- Sarkisian. Perplex probably isn't the right word.

It has been expressed before for several seasons now, but there is a feeling that somewhere within the Tulsa coaching those players are being under-served.

About your offside thing, I saw somebody do it in the early kicks yesterday and I have thought this should be the case. If a player jumps offsides and can't get back, just keep going. Keep going so they have to blow the whistle and stop the play. So many times a guy jumps offsides and either doesn't get back and stops or is caught offsides in neutral or other side and stops and play continues and QB knowing they have free play throws down field with little risk of INT which can result in a big play or D PI call. I wouldn't want my players to jump offside, but I would tell them if they misread the snap and find themselves caught, keep going until the refs blow play dead.

The end of the Oregon - Washington game could be called perplexing.

So could the end of the Houston - USF game. Down 12 with inside one minute to go, USF going to call timeouts when UH is taking a knee. Almost pissed ole Holgerson off enough to throw it deep on ya!

It has been expressed before for several seasons now, but there is a feeling that somewhere within the Tulsa coaching those players are being under-served.

About your offside thing, I saw somebody do it in the early kicks yesterday and I have thought this should be the case. If a player jumps offsides and can't get back, just keep going. Keep going so they have to blow the whistle and stop the play. So many times a guy jumps offsides and either doesn't get back and stops or is caught offsides in neutral or other side and stops and play continues and QB knowing they have free play throws down field with little risk of INT which can result in a big play or D PI call. I wouldn't want my players to jump offside, but I would tell them if they misread the snap and find themselves caught, keep going until the refs blow play dead.
I forgot where I’ve heard some commentators talk about this before, about the offsides. Think it was the Manning’s Monday night footballl broadcast. They said same thing, just keep going so refs will have to blow the play dead instead of giving up free play.

Tulsa seems to live in a different universe. They play good teams close over and over and over through the years, but always find a way to lose. They play Oklahoma St tough, make mistakes late, lose by 4. Then go home and lose to Cal Davis. It's been going on for years. They have a black cloud over them. No team over the years has driven down and gotten in position for a winning FG, then missed the FG than Tulsa.

You are right about the shotgun snap on short yardage downs. It's been going on for years and I still don't see the logic

And the other side of the coin is the team that runs one offense, one tempo, the entire game until they get to an important short yardage down, then they shift to a bunch formation, sprint up to the line as if they are somehow going to surprise the other team--they never do, never--and almost always get an illegal formation penalty or a lineman jumps, something. We saw it five times Saturday and every time the offense shot themselves in the foot.

And nothing is more perplexing to me than how many big time schools go through spring practice, then summer workouts, then two-a-days, then name a starting QB and, within a game or two, the coach has to make a change because he chose the wrong guy. This year alone we've seen Texas (one game) Tennessee (one game), Stanford (one game), Utah (three games or so) Oklahoma (five games, but it was clear after the first game), all change QBs and show instant improvement, and by instant I mean from the first play the new guy starts the team responds better than they ever did to the old guy.

Miami takes most of the season to change, and it took an injury, but the new guy is so much better than King it's laughable. I don't understand how coaches, who are paid to make these judgements seem to be blind, and yet the team knows all along the other guy should be on the field

Last edited:
On the issue of 4th and short yardage, why don’t teams fake like they’re just trying to draw the defense offsides and then actually go for it? It’s so obvious with some of these teams - running guys in motion, hard counting, etc. - that they’re never actually going to snap the ball. The defense even yells it out and starts getting the crowd pumped up by waving their arms. When the play clock is about to expire and the defense feels comfortable that you’re not going to snap it, then snap it … almost like a fake spike.

The new wave of CFB. I firmly believe that had LSU swapped QBs late they give themselves a better chance to win that one. When you have QBs that both have fathers that played NFL ball, we have convo’s about red shirts etc seemingly WITH the parents?!

Crazy world…

- O-line coaches teach a lot of technique, etc. But at the top of the list needs to be the react, when opposing d-lines jump. I saw Purdue do this, so well, multiple times yesterday but the vast majority of o-lines don't do it to draw the offsides. Simple, you see the d-line guy move into the neutral zone, then you move as well. Weird that it's not a given.
NC State does that, and it's like choosing to get hit by a pitch. You don't get the benefit of the penalty.

And the officials need to start calling it that way.

See pages 76-77:

Back