US open

Vondy still looks disinterested, but her class and muscle memory are kicking in, and that's enough to see off Keys dip in form at the mo.
I just don't know how long she can keep the energy up considering how miserable they're making it sound there

These matches are all going in straight sets

Can't say I trust the wife beater to win one against Alcaraz either

Muchova won't be beaten in straights. Coco could well be, but I expect 3 there.

Keys is going to have to make sure her dip from tonight doesn't bleed over to tomorrow otherwise that will be straights. She plays more like she did in the 1st vs Pegula and 2nd-3rd in the round before against the Russian, I think she's up for a set, and a shot at an upset. Sabalenka's been playing a host of counterpunchers, against them only she can beat herself. Zheng showed a slight bit of attacking ability along with a decent serve, and Sabalenka drops 4 games in a set for the 1st time all tourney. Keys' pace will cause her difficulties, but again, Keys gotta be much better than tonight.

So in short, no. Tomorrow isn't the time to continue to bet this run of straights, or rather Unders. 7 straight we're on, don't believe that will extend to 9.

It just seems like it's been so miserable there, as in the second there a crack in the armor, they've just folded.

Again I likely won't bet anything based on the forecast, I want to see it first hand before wagering.

Joker be +150/+170 range imo, depending on how much the Russian takes out of him in their SF. Actually think the Russian poses a bigger threat to him claiming the title. He could overlook him for the Joker. That dude was freaky good against Rublev in conditions he clearly had issues with. But I'm not ATP expert. Take with a grain of salt.

Joker be +150/+170 range imo, depending on how much the Russian takes out of him in their SF. Actually think the Russian poses a bigger threat to him claiming the title. He could overlook him for the Joker. That dude was freaky good against Rublev in conditions he clearly had issues with. But I'm not ATP expert. Take with a grain of salt.
Rublev completely melted down after that rushed service point in the first set. That was the point of the match, it was in his head from then on. Hardly ever see him complain but it was clear he wasn't happy with the how early the umpire was resetting the clock.

Rublev completely melted down after that rushed service point in the first set. That was the point of the match, it was in his head from then on. Hardly ever see him complain but it was clear he wasn't happy with the how early the umpire was resetting the clock.
I missed watching Medv beat the Joker here in straights, but the form he consistently showed against Rublev must've been close to the heights he needed to reach to manage that win over the Serb. Whatever issues Rublev had, he didn't put in a weak sauce performance (he broke Medv 5 times after all, which I put down to the heat issues Medv was having, he consistently complained during changeovers).

I only got "Special K" @ +160

I love to fade Keys, but it's cost me over a few games.
Won't take her vs Sabby, but thoughts on us getting O21.5 gms?

I only got "Special K" @ +160

I love to fade Keys, but it's cost me over a few games.
Won't take her vs Sabby, but thoughts on us getting O21.5 gms?
Over goes where Keys serve goes, not a hard observation to make by any means. Heat won't be a factor as it has been during the day matches.

She's been serving consistently well, and the occasion won't get to her. No reason to think it will go AWOL, but the pressure Saby brings to bear will obv. have a say in matters.

Muchova's ground game so far doesn't look anything like as crisp as it was early vs Cirstea. Only thing that explains that is nerves/uptightness. Coco's hardly hitting the cover off the ball.

The Czech beat Barty at the AO in a QF after losing the 1st set 6-1. So she's hardly done. But this UE rate cannot be sustained if a turnaround is to occur, whether in this set or the next 2.

Was always going to be hard for her to win 4 games on the trot, but a love service game loss was weak.

Have to say Coco is playing consistently well, not nearly as many UE, but that's essentially because she's not been under consistent pressure. When she was in those last few games, she suddenly looked vulnerable. 2nd set is all in the Czech's head.

Last edited:
It's obvious her best play (seen briefly in the 1st set) can give Coco fits. She's preventing herself producing it. One struggles to believe it's the stage, because she's already played in 2 Slam SF and won one of them. Who knows. Just infuriating knowing it's there yet only appearing in fits & starts.

When you miss a smash like that down a set, let's say I have doubts about your winning.

But an immediate Coco UE in response lets her off the hook for it, for now.

Reminds me of Brady's missed smash vs Wozniacki. Brady just stood there waiting for the ball to bounce and overhit the baseline (or was it the sideline?) by like 3-4 metres. Needless to say then it was a sign of things to come, like now.

Back