Thursday NBA Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter thecakeoff
  • Start date Start date
T

thecakeoff

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width=540 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR><TD class=dataheader width=540 colSpan=10>NBA
Thursday, March 26th</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datasubheaderleft2 width=35>Time</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=40>Gm #</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=120>Team</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=75>Score</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Opener</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Hilton</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>5Dimes</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>ABC Island</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>03/26
4:35p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>801
802</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> LA LAKERS
DETROIT</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>8
193½ </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>7½
193½ </TD></TR><TR class=scores-greybg><TD class=scores-greybg-left>03/26
5:05p</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>803
804</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> MIAMI
CHICAGO</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>
</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>03/26
7:35p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>805
806</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> PHOENIX
PORTLAND</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>221½
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure what the best number will be that I can get on the game but Detroit will be a posted 3 unit play tomorrow.

I will start by saying thecakeoff was one of my favorite people here on CTG.

For tomorrow, Portland will be an obvious choice. We will have to wait and see how tonight's Suns/Jazz game plays out. I'd be a little leery laying 7 tomorrow.

i still remember when he called matsuzaki the wrong racial slur. too funny.

I miss Cake alot as well . I was playing ball in Brooklyn tonight too , thats where Cake was from . Watching South Park at the moment , fantastic episode btw about the economy ...all things that remind me of cake . Forgive my stroll down memory lane ...lol...I wasnt around when Cake got banned ....Anyway .....

Bulls lost 2 extremely tough games now to Miami in the past month or so. The 1st was @ Chi when Marion hit the game winner as time expired and then the Triple OT Monday night game down in Miami . Obviously Rose status and the line will be of interest but have to look at CHI IMO(at least initially) .....

Unsure about the other 2 ..ton of points to throw at Det but would think Under before a side ...

I am not sure what the best number will be that I can get on the game but Detroit will be a posted 3 unit play tomorrow.

care to explain? leaned that way, but would like to know why it qualifies for a 3 unit play...

I miss Cake alot as well . I was playing ball in Brooklyn tonight too , thats where Cake was from . Watching South Park at the moment , fantastic episode btw about the economy ...all things that remind me of cake . Forgive my stroll down memory lane ...lol...I wasnt around when Cake got banned ....Anyway .....

Bulls lost 2 extremely tough games now to Miami in the past month or so. The 1st was @ Chi when Marion hit the game winner as time expired and then the Triple OT Monday night game down in Miami . Obviously Rose status and the line will be of interest but have to look at CHI IMO(at least initially) .....

Unsure about the other 2 ..ton of points to throw at Det but would think Under before a side ...

I remember talking to a few mods about him when he was pushing his limits. I vouched for him, but I think he did something that personally offended someone in charge.

I remember talking to a few mods about him when he was pushing his limits. I vouched for him, but I think he did something that personally offended someone in charge.

yeah, rubbing losses in a certain partners thread.

i just looked at his last post and saw it, since i wanst around this time and didnt remember him from covers either. from the talk in this thread looks like yall were in love w/ this cat lol.

as for tomorrow, phoenix is an abismal 0-8 ATS on thursday games.

like portland a lot tomorrow. theyre off 3 days of rest coming off that tough OT loss to philly. game is of extreme importance as it could be a nice spot for them to get 2 wins and build their momentum back up., since after phoenix they get memphis at home.
sitting in the 7 spot, with only 2 wins separating #3-7 in the west, making these last couple games crucial.

phoenix exerted a lot tonight and looked to run every chance they had. i know theyre athletic and well-suited for that type of play but it has to take a toll on a B2B. at one point 31 points in transition late in the 4th, probably ended with more. seemed like after every rebound they had someone sprinting down the wing looking to run, and they didnt sub much. its gotta take its toll.
all 5 starters logged 35 minutes or more, including shaq, and in a game that had 24 lead changes and was back and forth, i think they shot their load tonight and will have their hands full tomorrow

i don't really trust phoenix but they are playing better and they do still have a glimmer of hope; for now at least. heard kerr on the radio today and you can tell he knows its a long shot but in their minds they are still playing for a shot at the playoffs, which is a crucial mindseet to have. 7 points seems a bit much to give to a team this desperate for a win. also i feel like the total says the game will be played at phoenix's tempo

fwiw, (someone can double check if they want) I think only 5 of portlands 71 games have gone over, all at home, 2 took overtime (clipps & 6ers) and the other 3 were vs. phoenix (243), golden state (223), utah (230)

like portland a lot tomorrow. theyre off 3 days of rest coming off that tough OT loss to philly. game is of extreme importance as it could be a nice spot for them to get 2 wins and build their momentum back up., since after phoenix they get memphis at home.
sitting in the 7 spot, with only 2 wins separating #3-7 in the west, making these last couple games crucial.

phoenix exerted a lot tonight and looked to run every chance they had. i know theyre athletic and well-suited for that type of play but it has to take a toll on a B2B. at one point 31 points in transition late in the 4th, probably ended with more. seemed like after every rebound they had someone sprinting down the wing looking to run, and they didnt sub much. its gotta take its toll.
all 5 starters logged 35 minutes or more, including shaq, and in a game that had 24 lead changes and was back and forth, i think they shot their load tonight and will have their hands full tomorrow

agree portland is deseperate too and has a big advantage in this spot. i guess the high total has me thinkin phoenix controls the pace,

phoenix is feeling good about themselves but tired as fuck, maybe a 1h suns 2h blazers play is the call

agree portland is deseperate too and has a big advantage in this spot. i guess the high total has me thinkin phoenix controls the pace,

phoenix is feeling good about themselves but tired as fuck, maybe a 1h suns 2h blazers play is the call

Definitely agree- total looks ridiculously high for a portland home game as well. Thought it would be around 214ish... and may indicate that phoenix can dictate the pace as you said. gonna wait till tomorrow AM on some line movement, and see if it starts to drop then....right now its OTB on pinny.

Its a fair question. Problem is the facts that I present may not mean much to you. First I will preface by saying 3 unit bets are very rare for me. I believe when you post strongly your winning percentage should reflect that. I have without doubt been very lucky on the higher level bets at this site as none have ever lost. So I am certainly due for some bad luck.
Now its obvious that the Lakers are vastly better and that a large win is not beyond them. But why did they win the first quarter against OKC and why did they beat OKC by 18. Both actions were obviously deliberate. In that first quarter they kept Kobe, Gausol and Odom in the entire first quarter. In the second half they only gave back 6 points to a team that had not offended them and that they had beaten badly previously. I had previously posted a good deal of evidence that they would not be aggressive in that first quarter. It was a clearly deliberate alteration of their patterns. Why? Why did they do it?
The Covers chart shows that over 10 point wins the game before an away game give the Lakers a negative ats record. Best for them would have been to win by 5-9 which they could have easily enginered. It did not happen.
Detroit was the first team this year to beat the Lakers then
Indiana and the next time they played Indiana they won by 2 at home.
Then the Kings and then they beat the Kings by 9 at home on a 17 point spread.
Miami and then they beat Miami at home by 3 on an 11 point spread
Orlando beat the Lakers twice so forget them
NO and then they beat NO at home by 4 in overtime
Bobcats who have not faced them again yet
2 cases involving Utah and Denver who they lost to after beating them previously. No rematches since then
They have beaten badly this year 1 team who had beaten them previously. Just one the Spurs a true rival and enemy
This makes me wonder
The next day after Detroit they play the Nets. This rightly or wrongly is not a team they care for.
In first game of a b-b away this year they are 5-5-1 ats and Detroit does not look like the teams they covered against.
Detroit is a team the Lakers have great and somewhat bitter history with but watching over the years I never thought they disliked each other.
This Detroit team is now 2 games under 500. They have lost their last 2 games. They are missing at least 3 of their top players and this is the last time the Lakers will face the team they knew so long.
Beating up OKC was nothing much. OKC now has credit with the house and will get soft action in the future but some young kids do not matter compared to facing Detroit in this situation. This is a Good Bye and there are not many of them and IF the Lakers win tomorrow somehow, some way the game will be a tight one and no one on that Laker team will be happy with the win.
At least that is what I believe.

tuck,

i'm very confused by that post. You're making it seem to me that the Lakers should dominate this game, yet you're about to make a large play on the Stones? Maybe it's that i stayed up really late writing a paper last night, but i swear your analysis made me lean LA rather than Detroit. I'm very curious about an 8-point spread if Rip, Rasheed and the cancer A.I. are out, but maybe this is a little maneuver by Vegas to get a lot of LA action because of the recent blowout.

Reggie Miller accuses Allen Iverson of faking injury

Posted by [URL="http://blog.mlive.com/fullcourtpress/about.html"]Dave Dial[/URL] March 25, 2009 19:17PM

During the Tuesday TNT broadcast of the Detroit Piston-Chicago Bull game, Reggie Miller seemed a bit out of sorts. Making biting, sarcastic remarks towards Michael Jordan, Vinnie Del *****, Michael Curry, Rasheed Wallace and Allen Iverson. Miller's comments turned from sarcastic to personal with Iverson, as he accused the Piston guard of faking his injury.
March 25, Detroit News: "I've played a lot of games against Allen Iverson when he was with the Philadelphia 76ers, and he is one of the toughest guys I've ever gone against," Miller said. "But having said that and knowing the information we know, what Arnie Kander is saying, it's almost like (Iverson) is holding this team hostage because he cannot accept the responsibility of coming off the bench. That's sad because he is one of the truly great little men we've ever had in the game."​
What Kander told TNT's Craig Sager is essentially the same thing the Pistons have been saying all along -- without Miller's commentary. Every test that's been run on Iverson's back has shown no structural damage. The Pistons just last week ran three different tests and they all came back negative. Still, Iverson has complained of pain and numbness, and doctors at Georgetown University have prescribed rest. Iverson told Booth Newspapers on Sunday that speculation that he's sitting out because he doesn't want to come off the bench was false.
If Kander relayed the same information that has already been in the press, then for Reggie to jump to the conclusion he did seems a bit strange. It's hard to tell what the exact situation is with Iverson and the Pistons, with no comments coming from Piston management or the Iverson camp in reaction to Miller's accusation.
Add that to some recent writings in the Detroit media that the Pistons may not get the services of any of their three injured players before the regular season ends, and the possibility the Pistons may drop out of the playoff race altogether grows.
The next Piston game is Thursday against the Los Angeles Lakers. Allen Iverson and Rasheed Wallace have both been "ruled out" for that game and Rip Hamilton is doubtful. It's hard to believe that Allen Iverson is "faking" an injury, but Piston fans deserve a response to the accusations Reggie Miller made, from both Joe Dumars and Allen Iverson.

AUBURN HILLS -- Stay the course. Control what you can control.
It's a message Detroit Pistons coach Michael Curry has preached to his team often as they try to hold on to their fading playoff position.
Detroit (34-36) has lost two in a row, and five of its past six games. Three of the team's top four scorers are out indefinitely. And the bench, which has been extended far beyond its usual scope for weeks now, is starting to show signs of falling apart.
When you throw in a grueling schedule following tonight's game, Detroit's streak of consecutive playoff appearances is very much in jeopardy of ending this season.
The only way the Pistons are going to get back on track and save this season from completely falling apart is if they can get some or all of their core guys back.
Allen Iverson (sore back) appears to be the one whose return is most uncertain, while Rasheed Wallace (left calf strain) and Richard Hamilton (groin) both seem close to coming back, possibly as early as this weekend.
For Pistons like Kwame Brown, their return can't come soon enough.
"We have to get guys back and guys healthy," Brown said. "We're too short-handed to go out and win the whole game. We're competing hard. We're getting close. But it's tough to pull it out."
Said Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince: "In the situation we have, we almost have to play perfect basketball to come out with a win."
Tuesday's 99-91 loss at Chicago was indeed one of those kind of games.
There were several stretches in which a healthy Hamilton, Wallace or Iverson would have probably been enough to get them over the hump. All three are likely out for tonight's game against the Lakers.
"You can't have a game where, you're pretty much down to eight players, maybe three guys don't play even OK," Curry said. "Everybody has to play pretty good, especially when you're short-handed."
Detroit currently holds the seventh place in the Eastern Conference playoff race, one game ahead of Chicago, which is sitting in the final playoff spot. Charlotte, currently in ninth place, is 3 1/2 games behind Detroit.
Lakers hit road
Tonight's game will be the third leg of the Los Angeles Lakers' seven-game road trip.
Their home area, the Staples Center, is hosting the World Figure Skating Championships.
Home or away, it really hasn't mattered much to the Lakers (56-14). They are doing figure eights around the competition, which is why they are battling Cleveland (58-13) for the best record in the NBA.
"It's great for us, especially this time of year," Kobe Bryant told the Los Angeles Times of the extended road trip. "You can build a lot of momentum from these road trips ... if they go well."
Of course, it helps that only one of the Lakers' opponents (Atlanta) during this trip has a winning record.
"I haven't looked at their records," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "I know it's difficult to play in Detroit."

chi-town opens up at 6 point favorites. was hopin for 3, 4 at most.

does wade bounce back or was yesterday a sign that he's wearing down? i didn't see the game other than the final shot so i have no idea how 5-23 happened.

<!-- sphereit start --> Reporting from Detroit -- The Lakers might as well call Detroit the Portland of the Eastern Conference, even though it doesn't have the look or feel of a drizzly day in a quaint Pacific Northwest city.

The Lakers have endured a drought here that more than matches their futility streak in Portland, an 0-9 mark in the Motor City tracing back to their last victory here in March 2002.

t includes some blowouts (103-81 in 2005 and 111-88 in 2003), a last-second loss (90-89 in January 2008) and, most famously, three consecutive one-sided defeats in the 2004 NBA Finals.

The rosters have shifted for both teams over the years, but the losses haven't stopped dropping on the Lakers.

"They play defense, you know?" guard Derek Fisher said. "It makes it tough to win games there."

This might be the Lakers' time to sneak in a victory tonight against the injury-riddled Pistons.

Despite an early-season victory in Los Angeles, the Pistons (34-36) simply aren't what they used to be.

Point guard Chauncey Billups was traded to Denver during the first week of the season, and his replacement in Detroit, Allen Iverson, hasn't fared so well, shooting only 41.7% and scoring what would be a career-low 18 points a game. Iverson has missed every game this month because of a back injury and is not expected to play tonight.

Pistons shooting guard Richard Hamilton also has been sidelined, missing five games because of a groin injury, as has center Rasheed Wallace, who has missed eight games because of a sore calf. Neither player is expected to play tonight, though Hamilton appears to be closer in his recovery than Wallace.

Wallace and Iverson each had 25 points in the Pistons' 106-95 mid-November victory at Staples Center as the Lakers were pushed around in the post. Adding insult to ineffectiveness, former Lakers center Kwame Brown didn't look half bad for Detroit, finishing with 10 points and 10 rebounds in one of his first games after signing a two-year, $8-million deal with the Pistons.

"He outplayed Andrew [Bynum] tonight," Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said at the time.

Last season in Detroit, the Lakers fought back from a 17-point deficit only to lose by one after Lamar Odom airballed a 19-footer with two seconds left.

"That was a tough one," Jackson said this week.

Maybe things won't be so tough tonight. The Lakers could use a victory to stay with Cleveland in the race for the league's best record. Maybe they can finally end their frustrating jinx in Detroit.

"There are a lot of reasons why, but we don't plan on allowing it to continue," Fisher said.

Return of the reserves?

The Lakers' backups outscored their Oklahoma City counterparts Tuesday, 39-22, but Jackson wasn't ready to call their recent turnaround complete.

"They're getting close," he said. "I'm not sure that they're right exactly where I want them to be, but I like the fact that Jordan [Farmar]'s aggressive, he's looking for his shot. Luke [Walton]seems to be in rhythm again, playing the kind of ball that exemplifies his game and helps his teammates. Josh [Powell]got untracked too."

Walton had 11 points on five-for-six shooting and added three assists in 18 minutes. Farmar had six points, four rebounds and two assists. Powell had 14 points in almost 21 minutes.

Interesting side note. When I first looked 5d opened the Lakers at 8 and the Greek and Pinn had them at 7.5. Earlier this morning when I checked the Greek had them at 8 and Pinn was quietly keeping it at 7.5 minus 13 cents. So what we have is 5 dimes taking an early position looking for Detroit money and Pinnacle looking for Laker money while the Greek took no position.
I have taken a small bet on under 193.5 seeing this as a serious game but am hoping to get 9 or higher before I bet Detroit.

Warner, this will be my last post on this game but this brings up the subject of creating value in a line. I am not a fan of older players and I look to bet on teams that inject capable young players. Afflalo, Maxiell and Bynum look like good young players to me. Prince and Stuckey very capable players. McDyess is having almost a career year. Kwame is also having a very good year. The last game against Miami was a second away from a Detroit win not a loss. The public sees Iverson as a great boon as well as Hamilton. This is not obvious to me. That said while I think Detroit is fielding a better team now then earlier in the year they are playing a better team. If the Lakers try to beat them by a large number that could easily happen. But you might also ask yourself why Pinnacle had a rod and reel out for so long looking for Laker money. You might even look at the Laker ats record on 1 days rest 13-23 ats the only negative days rest they have.

Almost my last post on it. Some change. When I reviewed the Lakers in detail on the road in first game of a b-b I noticed that they were Very rarely covering in the first half of those games. They seem to start slow and then push in the second half to save energy. Now they have had some rest recently but this also is the final push and they will not have 2 days off in the remainder of the season so it seems likely to continue. None the less it seems to contradict my original premise to do anything but full game. Its a problem. Will split the bet in half for first half and game. If the full game bet loses it will still count as my first loss on a 3 unit play. Changing bothers me but its unavoidable here. Last 10 on the road in first game of a b-b in the first half the Lakers are 2-7-1 ats. Its a fact and I have to try and take advantage of it. Right now the best numbers I see are 4.5 and 8.5

Reggie Miller is one of the most overrated players to play in the NBA, he could score..so what, he did nothing else to help his team except flop for fouls..

:cheers:Expected about -4.5 maybe -5 in the Bulls game but would think -6 is less suprising then -4 IMO . Bulls have greatly improved since the 95-93 loss at home where they were -4 points and most of that improvement is on their home court as we know.

Basically tough stretch for Miami starting with the thrilling OT win vs Utah a few Sat's back . Then the game @ Philly on the 15th , 18th ,20th and 22nd where they played @ Boston , NJN and Det . Home game vs memphis on the 23rd , @ Indy on the 25th and now @ Chi on the 26th ......

A point premium seems fair to me considering the stretch of games Miami is involved in ..

Miami was 37% FG shooting yesterday and supertsar Wade was the main culprit at 5-24 which is not a good sign since he carried them on his back for so long

The Fatigue concerns with Pho are clearly warranted but still not sure that Port is worth laying 7ish points with ....

I cant really get into the LAL game other then liking the under and thinking Det or pass .

Final number was 9 which I just got at the Avi. Went in liking this number for 3 units so I have 1.5 on the first half and 3 for the game.
Maybe just is not accurate as I stopped and bought groceries coming back

Done well offshore. They had the plus 4.5s for the first half. Remains to be seen how the game bet does. Last 20 at home Detroit geting 9 would lose 2 times and last 20 away LA would cash laying 9 6 times.

fish is hopeless vs. bynum, he goes underneath the screen and still allows the drive to the basket lol

Looks like 5 dimes and Bar win and Tuck and Pinnacle lose. Still not understanding why Kobe, Lamar and Gausol came in in the fourth with 7 minutes to go up by 13. Obviously misread this.

Back