The "OFFICIAL" thread for injuries, suspensions, etc., since spring...

Auburn C Bosley ok and won't miss the season.

"Starting center Jason Bosley, who was helped off the field Sunday night after injuring his left knee, wasn't on the field but he is expected back by Wednesday. The news that his injury wasn't serious was enough to lift spirits on the Auburn offense."

Texas has it's first significant injury: Backup QB Sherrod Harris is with a sprained MCL. Recovery estimates range from a few weeks to 1-2 months.

Keep an eye whether they pull Chiles redshirt now or keep him as backup and pull it if needed (leaving McCoy out on a limb taking all snaps until then).

UT's backup QB front-runner Harris out with knee injury

By JOSEPH DUARTE
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle
<!-- rbox goes here --><!-- rbox ends here -->
AUSTIN — Redshirt freshman Sherrod Harris, who is in a tight competition for the Longhorns' backup quarterback job, suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee during Sunday night's practice.

"No timetable has been set on his return," Texas head athletic trainer Kenny Boyd said. "We will be evaluating him on a daily basis in hopes that he can be back in time for the season opener."

True freshman John Chiles is also competing for the No. 2 job behind Colt McCoy.

"I'm disappointed that I'm going to have to miss some practice time because of the injury, but I'm still going to be at practice every day, preparing for the season with my teammates and coaches," Harris said.

"I'll work with the trainers and doctors to get my knee back to 100 percent and return to the field as soon as possible."

Auburn MASH crew update:

Injury report 8/13

Here is a look at Auburn's injured players and their status:

Neil Caudle, QB, separated shoulder. Out for at least four weeks.
Carl Stewart, FB, hamstring. Should return within a week.
Tristan Davis, TB, broken finger. Out 6-8 weeks.
Merrill Johnson, LB, knee. Day to day.
Bo Harris, LB, shoulder. Day to day.
Jason Bosley, C, knee. Day to day.
Ryan Shoemaker, P, groin. Expected to return Tuesday.
Steven Ensminger, QB, shoulder. Day to day.
Montez Billings, WR, hamstring. Day to day.
Leon Hart, OG, ankle. Expected back early next week.
Tez Doolittle, DT, Achilles. Out for the year.
Steve Gandy, LB, concussions. Out for the year.
DT Jermarcus Ricks (hamstring) and TE Gabe McKenzie (hamstring) returned to practice Monday.

IU injury report:

James Hardy broke his finger and will miss two weeks. Unfortunate, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. James is entering his third year as a starter and should have a few days to get used to catching the ball before the September 2 opener.

More troubling is the injury to Greg Brown, a redshirt junior who started all 12 games at defensive tackle last year. According to Doug, Brown was injured yesterday morning and returned wearing a sling to watch the afternoon practice. Brown is IU's leading tackler among returning defensive lineman, and improvement in all aspects of defensive play is crucial to IU's fortunes this year.

Nick Sexton, expected to start at tight end, is out with an unspecified injury.

Monk update--worse than previously reported:

[SIZE=+1]Monk Sidelined 4-6 Weeks After Surgery[/SIZE]

By Alex Abrams
THE MORNING NEWS

FAYETTEVILLE -- The news regarding Marcus Monk's right knee could have been a lot worse, but it still wasn't what Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt wanted to hear.

Monk, who decided to return for his senior season, is expected to miss at least 4 to 6 weeks after the wide receiver underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday to repair cartilage damage in his right knee.

Monk will not be ready for the Sept. 1 season opener against Troy University, and Arkansas athletic trainer Dean Weber said it would be difficult to accurately predict when the wide receiver will be able to get back on the field.

"Hopefully, he will be able to return in approximately four weeks. I emphasize the word hopefully," Weber said following Monday's evening practice. "We'll just see how it goes."

Initially, Nutt thought Monk would only miss a few days of practice after an MRI on Friday came back negative. But doctors discovered during Monday's surgery that Monk's knee had suffered more damage than originally believed.

Weber said Monk had a small tear in the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus repaired during the surgery. The senior also had an articular cartilage fracture of the lateral femoral condyle.

"This is pretty unusual," Weber said, describing the injury. Weber stressed, though, that no ligament damage was discovered.

Monk injured his right knee during last Thursday's practice when he was hit hard from behind by free safety Michael Grant after catching a pass. The injury was originally described as a bone bruise.

Weber said Monk will begin an "aggressive rehabilitation," though Weber noted that another update on Monk's injury won't come for another two weeks.

"It could have been a lot worse, that's what I'm thankful for," Nutt said. "I'm thankful that we have a chance to get him back (this season). ... It could be much worse; you could be talking about ligaments (torn)."

Monk's injury puts more pressure on Arkansas' unproven wide receiving core. Coaches had been looking for a No. 2 wide receiver to step opposite Monk, and now the other receivers will be called upon to produce immediately.

Arkansas wide receivers coach Alex Wood said Monday that senior Robert Johnson, junior Reggie Fish and sophomores London Crawford and Lucas Miller are being considered to help make up for the loss of Monk.

"We have to do it now. There is no later, no another week, no another couple days of practice. It's now," Johnson said. "The season is coming up soon; we have to be ready to play."

Monk was easily Arkansas' leading receiver last season, catching 50 passes for 962 yards and a school-record 11 touchdowns.

Bostick is back from a couple reports..

I've also read that Carlos Brown, scUM's backup RB and in the running for PR and KR duties, broke his hand and will have surgery..

AP-FBC--UConn-Quarterback,0091
Lorenzen named starting quarterback at UConn
EDS: NewsNow.
STORRS, Conn. (AP) - UConn football coach Randy Edsall has named
junior-college transfer Tyler Lorenzen as the team's starting
quarterback for the 2007 season.
The 6-foot-5, 226-pound Lorenzen, a left-hander, threw for
nearly 3,000 yards and 26 touchdowns last season at Palomar
Community College in San Marcos, California.
He enrolled at UConn in January and had been battling with
redshirt sophomore Dennis Brown for the starting job.
Edsall says it was a good competition but Lorenzen, who will be
a junior this season, clearly won.

(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP-NY-08-14-07 1606EDT

Lorenzen played at Palomar? I got to bet UConn now.

From vegaskyle:

just a side note to the uconn/duke game. ncaa just declared lb jarrell miller of uconn ineligible for 2007 season. so it will be the talented freshman starting at the third lb spot.

(exhale)...

I finally got this caught up.

My one question that's bigger than all of the others...

1. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON WITH SAMMIE OUT IN CORVALLIS?

rex,

some out here say it's a death of a family member, some say he's just gone plain crazy...as soon as I know more I will post...

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" id="rvflash" height="60" width="620"><embed src="http://southcarolina.rivals.com/contentheadlines.swf?h1=Broken+clavicle+sidelines+Wallace+for+5-6+weeks+&h2=&lwidth=620&lheight=60&lshadow=1&sFontColor=000000&sLink=" salign="lt" quality="best" scale="noborder" wmode="transparent" id="rvflash" name="rvflash" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" height="60" width="620"></object><noscript>Broken clavicle sidelines Wallace for 5-6 weeks

</noscript>
Bobby Wallace will be watching the first several games of the season from the sidelines with his arm in a sling.

Wallace, a junior running back, has suffered a broken bone in his shoulder and will miss at least five to six weeks, South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier said Tuesday night following a two-hour workout in full pads on the Bluff Road practice fields.

"They said he landed on his shoulder, sort of like (former Oklahoma running back) Adrian Peterson," Spurrier said. "He's got a little fracture in his clavicle. It was very unfortunate. He should be ready (in five or six weeks). Hopefully, we can keep the other running backs healthy. If one of them gets nicked up, Bobby Wallace will be ready, I hope, by the third game."

Wallace departed Monday night's practice, the second workout on the day, with about an hour remaining accompanied by a member of the athletic training staff.

The timeline suggested by Spurrier means the Conway, S.C. native will likely not return to the active roster until after the S.C. State game on Sept. 15 or the LSU game on Sept. 22.

Wallace carried the ball just five times last season, a significant drop-off from 2005 when he gained 135 yards on 41 rushing attempts. One of his carries last season produced an 88-yard TD run against Middle Tennessee.

Spurrier expressed confidence in Brian Maddox, saying the freshman from Anderson, S.C. was "doing well."

Maddox expressed reluctance in redshirting in recent comments to the media. With Wallace out through the first one-quarter of the regular season, and Taylor Rank still sidelined with a sprained shoulder, the chances of Maddox playing in 2007 grow better by the day.

"We'll have to wait and see if somebody else gets hurt. He can play if we had to go play with him," Spurrier said. "He's about ready to play."

Spurrier spoke with the media after what he described as "just another normal night of practice."

The Gamecocks will workout twice Wednesday for the second time in fall camp. USC has three two-a-days scheduled for this week, and one on Aug. 21 for a total of four.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

True Frosh Brian Maddox now #3 on depth chart

Bostick is back. Big Missing Person remains Strougher:

Pitt Notebook: Bostick returns, could still make run at QB

Wednesday, August 15, 2007
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=105 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=85><CENTER>
2005_Pitt_logo_120x59.gif
<!--was space-->
</CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Freshman quarterback Pat Bostick arrived at Pitt's South Side training facility a little after noon yesterday, then watched the team scrimmage during the afternoon practice.
He took a few snaps and made a few throws during drills while the team was warming up.
Bostick's return -- he left camp Aug. 6 for undisclosed personal reasons -- was welcomed by Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt, who said he expects the freshman to begin practicing at full speed today.
He also didn't rule out the possibility that Bostick could work his way back into the competition for the starting job, but he added that such speculation would be premature.
"We'll just take it one day at a time with Pat and see how things go and get him back into the mix," Wannstedt said. "He'll be back tomorrow and, like I said, we will just see where he is at.
"If he has a good week, I'd expect him to scrimmage, and then we'll just see where he stacks up [compared to the other QBs] and where he is at."
Wannstedt was asked if his opinion of Bostick has changed as a result of the episode, and he answered emphatically "no." "Pat is a freshman," Wannstedt said. "He is still only 18 years old, so we are just going to support him and get him back on his feet and get him going."

Knee injury jeopardizes Hill’s season

Freshman, among logjam at receiver, wants to return and avoid a redshirt

By JOSEPH PERSON - jperson@thestate.com

Joseph Hills picked a bad time for his first injury.

After making it through high school unscathed, the freshman receiver went down with a torn knee ligament after making a catch during South Carolina’s first practice Aug. 4.

Hills, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound native of Palmetto, Fla., could miss another two to three weeks with a partially torn posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Hills, who said he does not need surgery, would like to play this year despite missing preseason camp.

“If they redshirt me, I wouldn’t mind, but my goal is not to be redshirted,” Hills said Tuesday. “It’s kind of iffy right now. If I can come back and do it, then they’ll let me play. But if not ...”

Hills, one of five freshman receivers, said he is not accustomed to the view from the sideline.

“This is my first time ever being hurt. So it’s been kind of new to me,” he said. “I’m not used to watching. I’m always used to being in the game.”

Wallace out. Backup tailback Bobby Wallace will miss up to six weeks with a broken collarbone, Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said after Tuesday night’s practice.

Wallace, a junior from Conway, sustained the injury Monday after landing hard on his shoulder — much like former Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson did in breaking his collarbone during the 2006 season.

Spurrier expects Wallace to be back for the third game: the Sept. 15 home date with S.C. State. Wallace, who has 46 career carries for 242 yards and a touchdown, is the Gamecocks’ third-string tailback behind Cory Boyd and Mike Davis.

Spurrier said Wallace’s injury would not necessarily change the status of Brian Maddox, a freshman from Anderson whom Spurrier would like to redshirt.

“We’ll have to wait and see if somebody else gets hurt or whatever,” Spurrier said. “Brian’s doing well. He could play if we had to go play with him. He’s about ready to play.”

Easy on the Rice. Freshman receiver Jason Barnes wears Sidney Rice’s old number, plays the same position and has been told he is built like the Gamecocks’ record-breaking receiver, who left early for the NFL after the 2006 season.

But the 6-4, 196-pound Barnes seems embarrassed by the Rice comparisons.

“I’m not really sure. He was great. I mean, I don’t want to do that right now,” said Barnes, the second-team wideout behind Moe Brown. “It made me feel good to be compared to him, knowing that he made a bunch of great plays and a bunch of attributes to the team (and) letting me know I can do the same.”

Extra points. Spurrier said the academic status of defensive end Jordin Lindsey is “still in discussions.” Lindsey, a senior who has started 15 games during the past two seasons, has practiced only once this preseason (Sunday). ...

Center Jeremy Burgess (concussion) and fullbacks Taylor Rank (shoulder) and Jim Hutton (shoulder) were held out of contact drills. Freshman defensive back Jamire Williams (hamstring) was back after missing one practice. ...

The Gamecocks will hold their second scrimmage tonight, but it is closed to the public.

U-M loses depth at tailback

Projected third-stringer Brown breaks his hand
Wednesday, August 15, 2007 BY JOHN HEUSER

News Sports Reporter

Mike Hart, Brandon Minor, then who?

Depth at tailback is quickly becoming a concern for the University of Michigan, where Carlos Brown suffered an injury at the position this week.

A sophomore, Brown broke his hand in practice and was scheduled to undergo surgery Tuesday afternoon, according to his high school coach.

Hoosiers' top receiver breaks his finger

<DL class=byline>From Call wire services <DD>August 15, 2007 </DD></DL>Article Tools

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.mcall/sports/college;ptype=s;slug=all-fbcnotes5996770aug15;rg=ur;ref=sundaymorningqbcom;pos=1;sz=88x31;tile=5;ord=90548732?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Indiana receiver James Hardy is expected to miss two weeks after breaking a finger on his left hand at practice.

Hardy was injured on a play during the morning practice Monday.

Hardy, a 6-7, 220-pound junior from Fort Wayne, is the Hoosiers' top player. He had a breakout season as a freshman, catching 61 passes for 863 yards and 10 touchdowns. He became the first receiver in school history to post double-digit catches in back-to-back games.

Mangino close to picking Reesing as Kansas starting QB

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

The Kansas City Star

LAWRENCE | Kansas football coach Mark Mangino said that a decision regarding the Jayhawks’ starting quarterback is not far off and that sophomore Todd Reesing is clearly in the lead.

“He’s taken control of things,” Mangino said. “I don’t want to use any terms, but I would say that, probably, we’re pretty close to making a decision on the QB situation.”

At Monday’s practice, open to fans and reporters, Reesing took all of the snaps with the No. 1 offense. Before Monday, sophomore incumbent Kerry Meier and Reesing each took about 50 percent of the snaps with the top unit.

Meier started eight games last season but was hampered by an injured right (throwing) shoulder suffered against Toledo in September. The injury affected Meier’s play and opened the door for Reesing, who was stellar in leading KU to a 20-15 victory over Colorado.

Last Tuesday, Mangino gave his first indication that Reesing, a native of Austin, Texas, had taken the lead for the starting job. On Monday, he inched even closer to handing Reesing the reins.

I am also hearing reports that UNLV QB Rocky Hinds' surgically repaired knee is acting up. He has been sitting out of practice and is now seeking medical advice.

I am having a hard time finding a full story on it though.

I am also hearing reports that UNLV QB Rocky Hinds' surgically repaired knee is acting up. He has been sitting out of practice and is now seeking medical advice.

I am having a hard time finding a full story on it though.

here is what i have

Hinds to have knee checked

Junior QB to be examined in California today

By MARK ANDERSON
REVIEW-JOURNAL
<!-- startclickprintexclude --><!--------------Related Videos---------------><!--------------Related Stories--------------->
<!--------------Sidebar 1---------------><!--UNLV Football-->

<!-- endclickprintexclude -->ELY -- UNLV's quarterbacks were put in live situations Monday -- meaning they were allowed to be hit -- but junior Rocky Hinds wasn't among them.
Hinds was in Southern California to have his swollen, surgically repaired right knee examined by his doctor, Dr. Clarence Shields, at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic. Shields performed the operation on Hinds' anterior cruciate ligament in January, which was torn last season.
Hinds left camp Sunday hoping to meet with Shields on Monday. The doctor was not available, so the appointment is today. Hinds is expected to return to training camp tonight or Wednesday.
"We'll know a lot more in the next few days," UNLV coach Mike Sanford said. "I'm not an expert on that, so I don't want to surmise anything."
<!-- startclickprintexclude --><!-- endclickprintexclude -->

Hinds was listed as a co-starter with redshirt freshman Travis Dixon entering camp. With Hinds being kept out of team drills, Dixon has been running the first-team offense.
"A lot of people didn't believe me, but we had a quarterback competition," Sanford said. "It was legitimately from the start a competition between Rocky Hinds and Travis Dixon. I don't know where it's going to go from here."
On Monday, Dixon and junior Dack Ishii received their share of pops from defensive ends and linebackers while operating the shotgun spread.
"In order for anybody to be our starting quarterback to play in the first game (Aug. 30 at Utah State), that person is going to have to go live," Sanford said. "In this offense, our quarterback has to be able to run. And you have to ... have been in the heat of the battle prior to the first game. The first game can't be the first time you get hit and have a big rush coming at you."

• INJURY UPDATE -- Junior Jeremy Geathers (slight concussion and pinched nerve) and senior Elton Shackelford (groin), both defensive ends, did not practice Monday afternoon.
Sophomore linebacker Jason Beauchamp (right hamstring) was held out the entire day, but is expected to return soon.
Sophomore guard Perry Eppenger, who went to Cheyenne High School, had a pinched nerve and "a bad headache," Sanford said, in the morning practice, but returned for the second session.
• COMMITMENT -- UNLV picked up a commitment from linebacker Travis Trickey (6 feet 3 inches, 220 pounds) of Round Valley High School in Springerville, Ariz. The two-star Scout.com prospect made 118 tackles last season, including two sacks.

I hear this is the 2nd OU OL who has been lost. Trying to find out the name of the first:

Beeler finished

Oklahoma Football Notepad
By John Shinn
The Norman Transcript

OU announced Tuesday night sophomore offensive lineman Chase Beeler has left the team.

Beeler, who played in five games last season at center and started the Middle Tennessee game, had been working at guard and center through the first week of practice.

“Chase wants to concentrate on his academic interests. He just decided that he did not want to play any more,” OU coach Bob Stoops said. “We respect his decision. We're all for Chase. He was a good, strong student-athlete while he was with our program and we wish him the best.”

Beeler was a 4.0 student at Jenks High School and a National Merit semifinalist.

Monday, OU offensive line coach James Patton said the Jenks product had looked fine in practice and appeared to have done well in summer workouts.

But there was still an issue with his weight.

“He’s at about 270. He had a great summer. He’s in great shape. He’s doing good,” Patton said. “He just needs that lead in his pencil a little.”

Messages left at Beeler’s home in Jenks were not returned.

Nothing yet. Nothing official.

Line is down to 7. Still don't know if I'd bite with UNLV losing their last 15 road games, Utah State or not.

Here is what happened with Jordin Lindsay. He made a good enough grade (C+) to pass but because he had too many absences, it brought his grade down to a D according to the way this particular professor runs his class. Jordin has appealed because he actually passed the class. Still waiting on the verdict. As was reported earlier, the reason he practiced that one day was because he told he Coaches he passed......

Somebody had to transfer sometime:

Tailback Moody to transfer

The sophomore from Texas was the Trojans' second-leading rusher last season. But he said last week he felt 'forgotten' because of a number of injuries.
By Gary Klein
August 16, 2007

Tailback Emmanuel Moody, USC's second-leading rusher last season, will transfer to another school, several sources said Wednesday.

Moody is one of three USC tailbacks who appear on the regional cover of Sports Illustrated's college football preview edition. But amid continuing speculation that a 10-deep position group would cause one or more tailbacks to transfer, the sophomore from Texas was a no-show at practice and at evening team meetings.

Coach Pete Carroll declined to comment.

Moody could not be reached for comment, but he said last week that he "felt forgotten" coming into training camp because of an ankle injury that forced him to sit out the Trojans' last four games and a hamstring injury that caused him to sit out nearly all of spring practice.

Moody had looked good in the first week, but he suffered a knee bruise in Sunday's scrimmage at the Coliseum and did not practice Monday or Tuesday.

Moody did not attend Wednesday morning's walkthrough. Afterward, when most players retire to the dorms to nap, Moody walked the campus talking on his cellphone.

After the Trojans began practice, Moody walked toward the dorm in a T-shirt and shorts. Asked if he was off to see a doctor, Moody said he was going to fill out paperwork and would have more tests on his knee.

USC's tailback depth might have taken another hit on Wednesday.

Freshman Joe McKnight sprained his knee trying to block and retired to the trainers' table for most of practice. McKnight said he would be out the rest of the week.

"I'll be OK," said McKnight, who was fitted with a brace.

Freshman Marc Tyler, who broke his leg last season, is not practicing and sixth-year senior Hershel Dennis has been held out because of knee soreness.

California receiver DeSean Jackson, a Heisman Trophy candidate, called out USC cornerback Terrell Thomas in the new issue of ESPN The Magazine.

Thomas and Jackson verbally sparred last season after the Trojans' 23-9 victory over Cal at the Coliseum, a game in which Jackson caught two passes. Thomas had said that he shut Jackson down and the former Long Beach Poly star responded by yelling that USC had triple-teamed him with a cornerback, linebacker and a safety.

Asked about the Thomas incident, Jackson told writer Bruce Feldman, "That dude was just talkin' to be talkin'. If Pete Carroll told his 10 other players to focus on everything else and it was just me and Terrell Thomas, oh man, I'd expose that dude. But being the best player, you gotta deal with that stuff. It just makes you better."

Apprised of Jackson's comments on Wednesday, Thomas said, "He had two catches and we won -- that's all I care about. He can take it as an individual matchup. I enjoy the competition, but we play a team game. . . . It wasn't just me. It was the whole defense."

Jackson also said he would rather defeat the Trojans than win the Heisman.

"Honestly I don't need to win it if we beat SC," he said.

As USC shifts offensive line personnel because of injuries, the biggest surprise of training camp might be that Jeff Byers' health is not part of the equation.

The 6-foot-4, 285-pound Byers is entrenched at left guard after injuries forced him to miss nearly all of the last two seasons.

"I haven't felt this good since I got here," he said.

Byers arrived at USC from Colorado in the fall of 2004 with a resume that included a national high school player of the year award. He came in as a center, but then-sophomore Ryan Kalil established himself as the starter and never relinquished the job for three seasons.

Byers, meanwhile, moved to guard. He started four games as a freshman but had hip surgery the following spring and was redshirted in 2005.

Last season, Byers played as a reserve in the opener against Arkansas. A back sprain before the second game against Nebraska forced him to miss the rest of the season.

Byers, a fourth-year junior, said he does not have any special motivation to prove that he can remain sound. "I'm just happy to be able to go out there and play the game and fight with these guys for a common goal," he said.

Arkansas receiver transfers to KU

By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH

The Kansas City Star

<!-- START /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp --><SCRIPT language=Javascript>function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }</SCRIPT><!-- photo or image available --><!-- Start: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->

Norman
<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/image_embedded.comp -->
<!-- no polls to display --><!-- Commenting out fact box for Jody Cox --><!----><!-- End commenting out -->
<!-- END /pubsys/production/story/story_assets.comp -->The Kansas football program added another talent to its receiving corps of the future.
Former Arkansas receiver Andrew Norman has transferred to KU and enrolled in fall classes. Norman, who redshirted last season with the Razorbacks, will have three years of eligibility remaining once he sits out a year at Kansas because of NCAA transfer rules.
Norman was a three-star recruit out of Springdale (Ark.) High School and was part of the heralded “Springdale Four” that included quarterback Mitch Mustain, wide receiver Damian Williams and tight end Ben Cleveland.
KU recruited Norman, 6 feet 2 and 180 pounds, heavily out of high school, but Norman chose to follow his high school coach, Gus Malzahn, to Arkansas. Malzahn left as Arkansas’ offensive coordinator this winter to take the same position at Tulsa, which explains why Norman had narrowed his school choices to KU and Tulsa.
Norman caught 63 passes for 1,189 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior at Springdale. Rivals.com ranked Norman as the 49th-best wide receiver in the 2006 class, a higher ranking than any receiver on KU’s roster received in their senior year of high school. He was also recruited by Louisville and Michigan State out of high school.
Norman will join freshman receivers Dezmon Briscoe and John Wilson, who have already drawn rave reviews from Kansas coach Mark Mangino this fall.

Report that Sweed will miss UT v Ark State. First I've heard of that.

UT's Sweed injured in scrimmage

[SIZE=-1]11:59 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]

AUSTIN – Texas All-Big 12 receiver Limas Sweed sprained his left wrist during a scrimmage Wednesday morning when he landed awkwardly while falling to the ground.
According to a source close to the situation, the senior will be out at least three weeks and will miss the first game of the season. Texas opens at home against Arkansas State on Sept. 1.
Texas confirmed the injury Wednesday night in a statement by head athletic trainer for football Kenny Boyd: "We will continue to evaluate him and expect a full recovery." Boyd provided no timetable for Sweed's return.
Sweed (6-5, 219) caught 46 passes for 801 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2006.

QB Hinds' exam delayed; Dixon might start opener

By MARK ANDERSON
REVIEW-JOURNAL

ELY -- UNLV junior quarterback Rocky Hinds' return to training camp was delayed by at least a day, and his competitor for the job, redshirt freshman Travis Dixon, closed in on becoming the opening-day starter.
"I'd say it's moving in that direction," coach Mike Sanford said Wednesday.
Sanford said a decision on the starter for the Aug. 30 opener at Utah State probably will not come until next week. The Rebels' main preseason scrimmage is Saturday.
With Hinds in Southern California having his right knee checked, Dixon has run the first-team offense. He threw touchdown passes on four consecutive drives in Tuesday's scrimmage.

"I feel like I've done pretty well," Dixon said. "I've still got some more learning to do. I have a fairly comfortable feel of the offense."
Hinds was expected to undergo a strength test on his knee Wednesday and return to camp, but his doctor, Clarence Shields, performed surgery on another patient and had to push back the appointment until today. Shields performed the operation on Hinds' anterior cruciate ligament in January.
• AGGIES QBS -- Utah State coach Brent Guy told The Salt Lake Tribune he doesn't expect to name a starting quarterback until next week.
The Aggies are considering Senior Leon Jackson III, junior Sean Setzer and sophomore Jase McCormick.
• NO TIME FOR REST -- Keeping sophomore linebacker Jason Beauchamp off the practice field is not easy, and he took only two days to rest his pulled right hamstring. Beauchamp was back at both practices Wednesday, despite word he probably would not return until late this week.
Sophomore defensive lineman Ronald Boone (calf) also returned to practice.
Junior wide receiver Renan Saint Preux sat out with a nagging right ankle injury. Redshirt freshman defensive end Isaako Aaitui (shoulder) practiced but was held out of contact.
• WOMEN'S CLINIC -- UNLV will put on a women's clinic Aug. 25 on the club level at Sam Boyd Stadium. The coaches and their wives will attend the event, from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
In addition to an education on football, there will be a coffee social, lunch, fashion show, prizes and a question-and-answer session with players.
For more information or to register, call 895-3400.

Limas is out 3 weeks for UT. You can count him out against Arkie State. I feel less confident about my Texas bet but it should still be fine.

Whoa on Sweed! Everyone is assuming too much.

First, let me say that it is a good assumption that he will not play or play much in the game against Arky State. But then again, he might have only played the first half anyway.

Second, there is no timetable released as to his schedule.

Third, if there is a position where Texas can lose their top position player and not miss much of a beat it is at WR. Texas is just loaded at that position. Hence why Sweed wasn't going to play much anyway even if 100% healthy.

Here's the most up to date report on Sweed:

Sweed timetable not set

By Alan Trubow | Thursday, August 16, 2007, 12:41 PM

While reports have come out saying receiver Limas Sweed will miss Texas’ first game against Arkansas State, the Longhorns’ media relations director, John Bianco, said a timetable hadn’t been set for the senior.

Bianco said that Texas’ trainer did not yet know how long Sweed would be out.

“Nobody knows yet,” Bianco said.

Sweed is a preseason All-American.

Line has dipped 1/2 pt at some spots. I think this is an overreaction.

This just in..

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top width=125 bgColor=#ffffff>Post #34910
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top bgColor=#ffffff><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=top>Jordin Lindsey update....</TD><TD class="" style="PADDING-RIGHT: 6px; PADDING-LEFT: 6px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; PADDING-TOP: 6px" vAlign=bottom noWrap align=right 1??>Reply</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><HR color=#cccccc noShade>Defensive end Jordin Lindsey has returned to practice, so I am assuming he has been cleared academically. Spurrier will have more after practice I'm sure.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sweed expected to be ready for first game

By Suzanne Halliburton | Thursday, August 16, 2007, 04:06 PM

Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed is expected to be ready for the season opener against Arkansas State, Sept. 1, a UT spokesman said Thursday.

Sweed sprained his left wrist during Wednesday morning’s scrimmage. He underwent an MRI later that day. Results were available Thursday.

Longhorn team spokesman John Bianco said that Sweed should be healthy in time for the opener. It’s unclear how much practice time he might miss. Since he’s an experienced fifth-year senior, coaches could keep him out of workouts as a precaution.

There had been unsubstantiated reports circulating Wednesday night that Sweed was expected to miss at least three weeks with the injury. Sweed didn’t even learn his official prognosis until he was told of the MRI results on Thursday. Doctors fit him with a splint Wednesday to keep him from reinjuring the wrist.

Sweed writes with his right hand, but is considered ambidextrous.

UConn football coach Randy Edsall said in a one-paragraph release that he has suspended Andre Dixon and Corey Stringer indefinitely for an unspecified violation of team rules.

A source close to the program said the Thursday suspension did not involve an on-field incident, alcohol, arrests or academics, and that it was an internal team matter.

Edsall was not available for comment.

<!-- google ads --><IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="/common/includes/google-adsense-content.html?client=ca-tribune_news3_html&channel_content=hartfordcourant.com&channel_section=hartfordcourant_section&type=wide&keywords=sports%20apparel%2C%20sports%20autographs%2C%20sports%20equipment&page_url=http://www.courant.com/sports/college/football/hc-ucfoot0817.artaug17,0,2931118,print.story" frameBorder=0 width=290 scrolling=no height=390></IFRAME><!-- END google ads --><!-- topix links --><IFRAME marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="/common/includes/topix.html?pcode=6005&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.courant.com%2Fsports%2Fcollege%2Ffootball%2Fhc-ucfoot0817.artaug17%2C0%2C2931118%2Cprint.story%3Flast_modified%3D8%2F17%2F07%202%3A8%3A33" frameBorder=0 width=280 scrolling=no height=79 allowTransparency></IFRAME>
<!-- END topix links -->
<!-- END rail -->Dixon, 6 feet 1, 195 pounds, from New Brunswick, N.J., was expected to be a third-string running back behind starter Donald Brown and backup Lou Allen. Dixon was also in the mix for kickoff returns.

Dixon, a sophomore, played in four games last season, returning kicks in the final three games. He averaged 17.8 yards on 12 returns.

Stringer, a 6-2, 206-pound freshman from Warren, Ohio, arrived on campus in January and took part in spring practice.

Stringer originally signed a letter of intent to attend UConn in 2006 but instead went to Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy before renewing his commitment to the Huskies.

Recruited as a linebacker, Stringer spent the spring working as a free safety after former starter Dahna Deleston was dismissed from the university for academic reasons. With Deleston reinstated just before preseason camp on Aug. 6, Stringer was back with the linebackers.

Stringer is the cousin of former Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer, who died of heatstroke after a practice in 2001. He was 27. Corey Stringer is also the nephew of Rutgers women's basketball coach C. Vivian Stringer. His cousin, Deryck Toles, was an All-Big Ten cornerback at Penn State and another cousin, Prescott Burgess, was an outside linebacker at Michigan who was drafted in the sixth round this year by the Baltimore Ravens.

UConn, 4-8 last season, opens Sept. 1 at Duke.

Andre Dixon is the one that affects this team.. he has had a great training camp so far and was going to aid Lou Allen in being fresh legs in backing up Donald Brown..

Word around campus is that they'll both be back- because thats how Edsall is.. winning is the most important thing, and he'll try to prove a little lesson before allowing them back..

but still.. unneeded distractions

TCU's All-American Tommy Blake has left practice for personal reasons. Rumor is that the pressure of being one of the country's top defensive prospects is getting to him.

TCU's All-American vs. everybody's expectations

By GIL LeBRETON
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

To watch Tommy Blake play football is a joy.
He isn't difficult to spot. More often than not, he has been the one in the TCU uniform, getting up from the quarterback's prone body or the ball carrier's back.
He has heard the cheers. He has reaped preseason honors by the bushel. His NFL future is roundly predicted to be paved with success.
During Blake's three years in the TCU defensive line, the Horned Frogs have won 27 of 36 games. There is nothing he can do on a football field this coming season that could dim the happiness that he has already brought to TCU fans and alums.
As head coach Gary Patterson reminded Thursday, Blake is a cherished member of the close-knit TCU family. And family takes care of family.
Which is why, with the fall semester scheduled to begin Monday, the TCU football family wants Tommy Blake back.
Officially, preseason All-American Blake was absent from the Frogs' two practices Thursday because of "personal reasons." He also missed the afternoon workout Tuesday and a single practice Wednesday.
"Is he still on the team?"" Patterson asked Thursday, repeating the rumor of the day. "Yes, he is."
Instead of being on the practice field, however, as the Frogs prepare for their Sept. 1 season opener against Baylor, Blake was back in his hometown of Aransas Pass, reportedly trying to sort things out.
"Up to practice No. 11, he was perfect," Patterson said. "Unbelievable."
And the next day, it seems, an NFL scout from the Jets showed up to watch Blake practice. And a scout from the Titans. And from the Saints, the Broncos, the Giants and the Bills.
The attention, witnesses say, appeared to bother Tommy.
It certainly couldn't have surprised him. Almost since the end of last season, when Blake was named the Defensive MVP of the Poinsettia Bowl, he has been named on one preseason All-America list after another. His name has been prominently mentioned in every early NFL mock draft.
Blake's cellphone, according to teammates and Patterson, had been humming with calls and text messages from friends, quasi-friends and would-be agents.
"He doesn't have a cellphone anymore," a friend said. "He got rid of it because it was being inundated."
Blake isn't choking from the high expectations. He's recoiling from them.
His sister, Rochella Thomas, accompanied Tommy on Thursday on the drive down to Aransas Pass to see Ernestine Chisholm, the grandmother who raised Blake as his own mother would have. Chisholm, 64 and a colon cancer survivor, is said to be one of the main reasons Blake decided to return to TCU for his senior season. He promised her that he would get his degree.
Another expectation, perhaps, that has been heaped on Tommy Blake's back. Even a 6-3, 252-pounder can only handle so much.
A wise young man once said, in something called Investors Business Daily: "One of the things that my parents have taught me is never to listen to other people's expectations. You should live your own life and live up to your own expectations, and those are the only things that I really care about."
The wise young man's name is Tiger Woods. With the possible exception of Michael Jordan, sport has never seen a fiercer competitor.
The money is serious. The 10th player taken in this year's NFL Draft, defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, signed a six-year contract with the Texans worth $17.6 million, nearly $13 million of it guaranteed.
Imagine hitting the Texas lottery -- three times. Imagine how your life would be turned upside down.
Now, imagine that you're 22 years old. And "all" you have to do is live up to everyone else's expectations.
"It's a lot of pressure for a young man," Patterson said. "That's what I think it is.
"I don't know how you can act like he did for four years, and now all of a sudden in March, he started acting different. The only thing I know that changed is all the All-America lists, all the different things people were saying about Tommy.
"I'm just telling you that pressure does amazing things to people, and that's why I'm being very careful about handling this. I know how people are. They can crucify kids, and he doesn't deserve it."
If Blake's life has been a whirlwind since last spring, it's more than possible that August -- his final college season, his graduating year at TCU -- has arrived sooner than he ever could have imagined.
Suddenly, it's two-a-day practices again in the blazing Texas sun, and there are scouts watching, studying, and a hundred cellphone messages waiting to be answered.
I'm not making any excuses for Tommy Blake. I'm paraphrasing history.
For Jimmy Johnson, the spring of 1994 arrived much too quickly as well. He had just coached the Cowboys to back-to-back Super Bowl victories. A third was roundly expected.
The grind -- and listening to Jerry Jones' voice -- was about to begin again, when Johnson abruptly quit.
Coaching the Cowboys was no longer fun for Jimmy Johnson.
As his mind wanders, Tommy Blake would do well to remember the fun he has had at TCU. The cheers he has heard. The joy that he has helped bring to his teammates and friends.
Patterson said that he hopes to fly to Aransas Pass after Saturday's scrimmage and visit Blake and his family. He's hopeful that his star defensive end will soon return to practice, to TCU, his "other" family.
Gil LeBreton, 817-390-7760

Maryland loses LB Wujciak for season to torn ligament

August 17, 2007

College Park // Maryland linebacker Alex Wujciak, who was pushing for a starting job and is highly regarded by coach Ralph Friedgen, will miss the season with a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament.
Wujciak had a magnetic resonance imaging yesterday and will undergo surgery, Friedgen said.
"That's a blow for us right now," Friedgen said.
Wujciak slipped on the turf Tuesday and hyperextended his knee, Friedgen said. He got up and continued to practice a bit more before taking himself out.
That leaves Trey Covington and Jermaine Lemons as the Nos. 1 and 2 players, respectively, at the Terps' Leo position (linebacker/defensive end).

• Notes // Running back Da'Rel Scott returned to practice yesterday but is not 100 percent yet. ... Offensive lineman Scott Burley has been granted an extra year of eligibility by the NCAA, a school spokesman confirmed. Burley had petitioned the NCAA for a hardship waiver because of injuries that limited his playing time the past four years. ... Friedgen said he is likely to name a starting quarterback after tomorrow's scrimmage.

Davis tabs Yates as QB, for now

Redshirt freshman is UNC's 4th straight new starter in openers

<!-- /components/story/story_default.comp -->Lorenzo Perez, Staff Writer
CHAPEL HILL - North Carolina football coach Butch Davis has settled on a starting quarterback, but his decision may include an expiration date.
Davis on Thursday named redshirt freshman T.J. Yates his starter for the Tar Heels' Sept. 1 opener against James Madison. Although Yates managed to elevate himself above sophomore Cameron Sexton (who started five games last season), freshman Mike Paulus and senior walk-on Ben Johnson, Davis was quick to note, that the competition for playing time was far from over.
And the pecking order for second- and third-string QB has yet to be set.
"I truly, firmly believe, I think, that we will clearly probably play certainly more than one quarterback during the course of the season," Davis said. "There's that opportunity possibly for a second quarterback to play some at times. There's a possibility that a third quarterback might get an opportunity."
Yates will be the fourth quarterback in as many years to start the season opener for UNC. In three of the last six seasons, two quarterbacks split time for the Tar Heels.
The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Yates had a strong performance in the Tar Heels' spring game in April, completing 10 of 15 passes for 163 yards and three touchdown passes. During the summer, Yates' time in the weight room paid off with a little more bulk and additional zip to his deep passes, Davis noted.
"There's a certain level of expectations that coaches have, and certainly I have, that you continue to get better," Davis said. "Just because you have earned the opportunity to be the starter now doesn't mean that it will stay that way forever. ... If you ever hit a plateau and you've arrived and you're as good as you're going to get, be careful. Because there's going to be people gonna be chasing you down to get that opportunity."
During his run as a Dallas Cowboys assistant under Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer, Davis could point to games in the team's Super Bowl runs where Bernie Kosar and other backups had to spell an injured Troy Aikman at quarterback. As head coach for the Cleveland Browns from 2001 to 2004, however, Davis had a dramatically different quarterback-by-committee experience with a struggling Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb.
It's unlikely that Yates even envisioned Thursday's scene three years ago, back when he briefly gave up football to devote his energy to basketball. Standing on a short, wooden platform planted in a Kenan Stadium end zone, with a two-deep ring of media representatives around him, Yates said getting the starting job "is probably the last thing I ever thought would happen."
"But it's not set in stone or anything like that," Yates said. "It's because the coach still wants the competition to still be open."
UNC offensive coordinator John Shoop said Yates has gotten "better and better and better every single practice," while acknowledging a learning curve remains. "He's getting better at it," Shoop said of Yates' comfort stepping back into the pocket. "But none of us are where we need to be right now. Those [other] three guys are really battling for that spot. They want to be the starter as well, and I think T.J. appreciates that. He wants that fire under his butt."

Ryan Wood's KU Football Notebook

By Ryan Wood </SPAN>
Posted Friday, August 17, 2007

No match
Arkansas transfer Andrew Norman will not be playing football at Kansas University this year.
A source at KU confirmed that Norman wasn’t coming, which correlated with what Norman’s father, Robert, said earlier Thursday.
“It looks like he won’t be enrolling at Kansas,” Robert Norman said. “I’m not sure where he’ll be enrolling, but it appears he won’t be going to Kansas.”
Norman supposedly was choosing between Kansas and Tulsa after being granted a release from his scholarship at Arkansas earlier this month.
A published report said he was transferring to Kansas, but it appears that report was premature.
A 6-foot-2 wide receiver, Norman was heavily recruited out of Springdale (Ark.) High in 2006, but chose the Razorbacks over Kansas, Louisville and Michigan State.
He red-shirted last season before asking to be released from his scholarship this summer.
It was granted, and his father said he was choosing between Tulsa — where his high school coach now is — and Kansas. He has visited both schools this month, but it’s possible he’ll end up at neither school.

Sammie's high school coach says "sometimes life gets in the way of all the stuff we've got planned''

Posted by [URL="http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbeaversbeat/about.html"]PB[/URL] August 16, 2007 12:40PM

Categories: Football
THURSDAY PRACTICE UPDATE at bottom of this blog
CORVALLIS - Life went on at OSU Thursday without All-American WR/PR Sammie Stroughter, the senior who was the top returning pass-catcher in the Pac-10 and one of the emotional rocks of coach Mike Riley's football team. ... Stroughter was absent from practice for a ninth straight day. ... expect a resolution - one way or the other - before the week is out. Or early next week.
I spoke with Ernie Cooper, Sammie's high school coach, on Wednesday. Cooper coaches at NorCal power Granite Bay HS in Sacramento and until a week ago he had been talking with Sammie on a regular basis.
Stroughter did some off-season training at Granite Bay, along with superstar Granite Bay alums Dallas Sartz (USC, now NFL Washington) and Adam Jennings (Atlanta Falcons). As always, said Cooper, Stroughter was an inspiration to the younger kids at his old school and treated with a mixture of awe and respect.

medium_LATEST%20SAMMIE.jpg
OSU WR/PR Sammie Stroughter was gone for a ninth straight day on Thursday. I think we'll know before the week is out if No. 19 is coming back.

Cooper is saddened, and concerned, over what Stroughter is going through.
He would not talk in specifics.
Riley, his coaches, and the OSU players have also been guarded in their comments about No. 19, leaving the media to guess on what the problem is (stress, burnout, emotional meltdown, family crisis, or none of the above).
"I love Sammie like a son,'' Cooper told me. "I would do anything for him.''
"All I know is, he's going through some personal issues that are hurting him right now.''
Cooper, much like Riley, is able to separate Stroughter the person from Stroughter the football player.
Maybe, in the end, Sammie didn't feel comfortable being a star athlete who thrilled a national TV audience with that stunning PR against USC and found himself highlighted on ESPN and used extensively in OSU's 2007 marketing campaign.
"They're still just young men,'' said Cooper.
"I'm 45 now, and I know that in your personal life and in your professional life you're going to go through some trials and tribulations. Some stuff gets you right in the gut, and it hurts.''
Said Cooper, "sometimes life gets in the way of all the stuff we've got planned ... maybe (for Sammie) football is secondary to that right now.''
Cooper does know one thing. "In 27 years, he's one of the greatest young men I've ever had the pleasure of coaching,'' he said.
Practice update ....
It was either another terrific day for the OSU secondary, or another hit and miss day for the QBs. I mean, how many times can Sean Canfield or Lyle Moevao drop back, float a pass toward the sidelines, and watch it get picked off by CB Brandon Hughes, CB Keenan Lewis, or S Bryan Payton?
There was also some good stuff by the players battling to see who starts vs. Utah ... Canfield's beautiful toss over the middle to Sammie replacement Chris Johnson. ... a long one to Shane Morales that connected perfectly ... Moevao's dart to Darrell Catchings in the end zone ... but on total, it was another afternoon when the Beavers' pass defenders were better.
Adding insult to injury, DT Pernnell Booth batted a ball in the air at the line of scrimmage and went the other way.
"They've got their hands on a lot of balls, they're intercepting more balls than ever,'' said Riley of his DBs. "I think they're confident, and playing very strong.''
Two things I'll remember about Thursday ... Kyle DeVan and some teammates reading radio promos in Spanish (DeVan wasn't bad) and the amazing speed of rush end Victor Butler (No. 90) who is CONTINUALLY in the backfield almost before the snap ... if Butler can get to opposing QBs that fast in a real game, wow ...
Finally, we asked Riley if maybe we'll know who the No. 1 QB is after Saturday's scrimmage.
"We're getting really close to that,'' he said. "I don't know that I'll do it immediately (after) but we've got Sunday off and I think it's gotta come sometime very soon after that.''

A Career Derailed Too Soon
Posted By Andy Staples at Aug 16, 2007 at 08:33 PM

Updated Aug 16, 2007 at 08:34 PM

GAINESVILLE — When the Gators opened practice last week, everyone kept asking about the undersized receiver in the blank jersey. All the freshmen were present and accounted for, so this new guy must have been a walk-on. But unlike certain Blogtacular authors, this was a walk-on who could play.

We came to learn that his name is Chris Jones, and he got a number (24) by the second day of practice. Jones is a graduate of The Bolles School in Jacksonville, and he’s a heck of a little receiver. Unfortunately, he won’t get a chance to prove that again after Florida’s medical staff discovered a pre-existing neck injury that will prevent Jones from playing football again. Thursday, Gators coach Urban Meyer said he would like to keep Jones around the program if he can’t suit up.

“He’s still a Gator and he’s going to be around,” Meyer said. “I love him. He’s a great young man. It’s horrible. He’s devastated but I think he wants to be around the Gators and we’ll do the best we can to keep him here.”

No word on suspensions yet, but more problems for USF:

DE George Charged With Grand Theft

By Brett McMurphy, The Tampa Tribune
Published: August 17, 2007

TAMPA - University of South Florida senior defensive end Woody George was arrested Thursday night and charged with a felony count of grand theft relating to a missing parking boot.
George's car had been 'booted' Tuesday by USF's Parking and Transportation Services, and parking officials notified USF police Wednesday that the boot and car were missing, USF police spokeswoman Meg Ross said.
George, 23, notified officials about returning the boot Thursday, but when he arrived he said he had 'thrown the boot away,' Ross said. Because the boot is worth $450, he was charged with grand theft and taken to the Hillsborough County jail, where he remained Thursday night on $2,000 bond.
It's unknown how many parking tickets George accumulated to have his car 'booted,' but the school's Web site indicates a car may be 'booted' after a third parking ticket.
USF coach Jim Leavitt would not comment and said the matter would be handled internally.
George started 12 games last season and is battling Jarriett Buie for a starting position.

Grutza scrambles to save job
BY BILL KOCH | BKOCH@ENQUIRER.COM

bilde

Dustin Grutza scrambles against Ohio State last season.

WEST HARRISON, Ind. - This could be an important day for Dustin Grutza in his quest to hold onto his job as the University of Cincinnati's starting quarterback.

In an attempt to give Grutza a chance to display his full array of talents, UC coach Brian Kelly plans to take the cautionary red jerseys off him and Craig Carey today at the Higher Ground Retreat Center during the Bearcats' final scrimmage before their Aug. 30 season opener against Southeast Missouri State.

That means Grutza will be exposed to take hits from the UC defense and will have the opportunity to make plays when the protection breaks down without having to worry about a quick whistle.

"Right now with him wearing the red jersey, you get the whistle blown and the defense doesn't have to worry about a quarterback who can scramble," UC coach Brian Kelly said. "We all know that kind of quarterback can drive you absolutely crazy."

Grutza relishes the opportunity.

"That's how it's going to be in the game," he said. "Avoiding pressure and getting out of bad situations, that's one of my strong points, so he wants to see how well I do that. It's an added threat. I like to think that I can move on my feet and make plays happen if I have to."

As he heads into today's scrimmage, Grutza, a junior from Maysville, Ky., appears to be trailing sophomore Tony Pike and senior Ben Mauk, who transferred from Wake Forest, for a starting job.

"Maybe it's Pike and Mauk with Grutza a little bit behind them right now," Kelly said. "But I've got to give that kid a chance to run around."

Whatever happens today, Kelly is not expected to name a starter yet for the season opener.

"There's not a huge separation between one and four still," Kelly said. "But we can't play all four of them. I would be shocked if we played only one guy in the Southeast Missouri game. Those are important games for us to find out who our guys are going to be for the long haul."

Kelly was prepared to name a starter for today's scrimmage.

"Right now it will probably be Tony Pike to start," Kelly said.

What does that mean in the overall scheme of things?

"It means that he was given the opportunity with the first team and hasn't lost it," Kelly said.

Here's a look at the four quarterbacks based on Kelly's comments and observations during practice and last week's scrimmage:

Pike: The surprise of training camp, he repeatedly has been praised by Kelly the past week for his passing accuracy.

"Tony Pike has got a huge upside," Kelly said. "He's a sophomore. He's 6-6, 223 pounds. He throws the ball very well and he hasn't lost the position since he started to take first-team reps."

The biggest drawbacks for the Reading High graduate are his lack of mobility compared with Mauk and Grutza and his inexperience.

Mauk: He was impressive in last week's scrimmage, leading his team to a score in all three of his possessions, but there are questions about how well his right arm will hold up after undergoing surgery last year.

Having earned the starting job at Wake last season and shared it the two previous years, Mauk has experience playing on the BCS level.

Grutza: He has been the starting quarterback for most of the past two seasons, but his grip on the job began to weaken near the end of last season. When Kelly arrived, the competition was back to square one.

Grutza is a resourceful runner who has played two seasons in the Big East. He's a decent, if not always consistent, passer. He has been counted out before only to rise up and claim the starting job.

Carey: The Elder High product has the physical tools to be a successful Division I-A college quarterback but so far has not been able to translate those tools into enough consistent play during practice to get on the field. He's a long shot to be the starter at this point.

Yeah, Rex, there are. This is going to be a major pain in the ass, but here goes.

These are just the changes since I last posted. Some of these may have already been covered.

AIR FORCE
OT Dan Holder - Could be out 4-5 wks (knee)

AKRON
WR David Harvey - No longer with team
WR Johnny Long - No longer with team
WR Jermaine Lindsay - No longer with team
C Jim Holley - No longer with team
LG Garrett Brewster - No longer with team
QB Sean Hakes - Left Team

ALABAMA
RB Jamar Taylor - Transferred to USF
DB Andy Davis - Transferred to Samford

ARIZONA ST
CB Chad Green - out for the season

ARKANSAS
WR Andrew Norman - will transfer
OL Colin Tucker - Left the team

ARKANSAS ST
WR Patrick Higgins - Dismissed from the team

BALL ST
WLB Wendall Brown - Out for year

BOSTON COLLEGE
Brian Toal - Will sit out (shoulder injury)
CB Reshaude Goodwin - Left the team & is transferring

BYU
DB Nate Hutchison - Out for the year
DL Kyle Luekenga - Out for the year
OL Jeff Rhea - Out for the year
DB Chris Warner - Out for the year
DB Dustin Gabriel - Potentially career ending foot surgery
NG Russell Tialavea - Out year (Torn ACL & MCL)
NG Romey Fuga - On an LDS Mission
QB Cade Cooper - Will redshirt

CALIFORNIA
WR Nyan Boateng - Will sit out season

CINCINNATI
RB Mister Simpson - ineligible for '07
LG Jeremy Bolton - Left team
CLEMSON

LB Stanley Hunter - Failed to meet NCAA standards

CONNECTICUT
LB Jarrell Miller - Ineligible for '07

EAST CAROLINA
DL Wendell Chavis - Out season (suspension)

FLORIDA ST
OL Matt Hardrick - Dismissed
C John Frady - Will move to TE for SR Season
DE/TE DJ Norris - out for ssn and probably career (shoulder inj)
LB Jae Thaxton - out for good (concussions)
OL FR Anthony Grosso - left the team

FRESNO ST
LB Ahijah Lane - out for season (injury)
DE Chris Lewis - Suspended for Fall
OL James Meeks - Will not return to team

GEORGIA TECH
QB Steven Threet - Has left the program

HOUSTON
Additions: QB Al Pena

IDAHO
WR Tariq Ikharo - Dismissed
RB Tracy Ford - Dismissed
NT Alex Toailoa - Dismissed
CB General Parnell - Dismissed
CB Terrance McCoy - Dismissed
LB Steve Cameron - Dismissed
FS Jevon Butler - Dismissed
DT Marvin Jones - Dismissed
DT Jon Dominguez - No longer on team
RB Andre Harris - Dismissed

INDIANA
OL James Brewer - Out Year (Foot)

IOWA
DB Marcus Wilson - Not on roster

IOWA ST
LB Adam Carper - Will not play this season (knee injury)

KENTUCKY
WR/DB Duran Jefferson - Scholarship recinded
WR Terrence Jones - Out for season (knee)
DE Charles Mustafaa - Sidelined indefinitely (injury)

LOUISVILLE
DE Jonathan Holston- Dismissed from team
RG Marcel Benson - out '07
RG Marcus Gordon - Has left team
OL Jeremy Baker - Dismissed from team
DE Josh Williams - NOR Fall

LSU
WR DeAngelo Benton - Enrolled at Hargrave
RB Alley Broussard - Quit the team
DB Delvin Breaux - Not medically cleared to practice (neck injury)
OL Steven Singleton - Will transfer

MARSHALL
DT Bilal El-Amin - Quit the team
DE Albert McClellan - Torn ACL out for season

MARYLAND
DT Omarr Savage - Academically Ineligible
DE Barrod Heggs - Academically Ineligible
LB Brian Dickerson - Quit the team
QB Bobby Sheahin - Transferring to Salisbury University

MICHIGAN
DL Justin McKinney - retired
OL Justin Schifano - retired

MICHIGAN ST
OL Tom Kaczmarek - Retired (knee)
OL Jason Diehl - Out year (knee)
OL Arthur Ray - Out year
DL Ishmyl Johnson - Decided not to enroll

MINNESOTA Additions: OL Erik Kottom (Wyoming)
MISSISSIPPI ST
QB Ty Evans - Left team
DB Brandon Thornton - Left team
DL Korentheus Bailey - DNQ
LB Maurice Crutison - DNQ
DB Antwon Dixon - DNQ
DL Jazzmen Guy - DNQ
DB Mike Hunt - DNQ
OL Colton Jenkins - DNQ
LB Antonio White - DNQ
WR O'Neal Wilder - DNQ

NEBRASKA
NT Craig Roark - Left the team
DL Demetrious Davis - Academically ineligible
OL Aaron Schulte - Academically Ineligible

NEVADA
OL Kyle Robertson - Dismissed from team
LB Joe Easter - Quit the team
TE Brent Keaster - Left the Team (personal)
C Kyle Roberton - Dismissed from the team

NEW MEXICO
WR Jerrell Miller - Academically Ineligible
OL Matt Stredid - Acaemically Ineligible
CJ Oakley - Transferring to NM Military Institute (Fall Semester)

NEW MEXICO ST
RB Randell Bell - will not be joining the team

NC STATE
LB Avery Vogt - Transferred
OG Gerard Miller - Transferred

NORTH TEXASSS Roy Loren - No longer with team
OHIO
CB Tony Ward - Not with team

OKLAHOMA ST
WR Artrell Woods - Lost for the season (injury)
WR Anthony Parks - Transferred

OREGON ST
P Kyle Loomis - Quit the team
LB Eric Moala Liava'a - RS (due to injury)
WR - Reggie Dunn - going to JC
P Jon Strowbridge - Ineligible
WLB Danzel Isaac - Ineligible
CB Coye Francies - Dismissed
Additions - RB Patrick Fuller (returned for Fall)

PENN ST
DE Devon Still - Out for season (Torn ACL)
DB Travis Mcbride - Not on 105 man roster (Acad)

PITTSBURGH
OL Kevin Hughes - Left Team (Academics)
WR Derek Kinder - Out season (torn ACL)
SS Elijah Fields - Suspended for season
DT Derrell Jones - Transferred
LB Greg Webster - probably out for the season

PURDUE
LB Brian Ellis - Didn't qualify Academically

RUTGERS
CB Dimitri Linton - Retired from football
OC Dave McClain - Transferring
TE Jeff Minemyer - Out year (medical)

SAN DIEGO ST
C Peter Manuma - Academically Ineligible
Additions: DE Ryan Williams (PS#58) Transfer from Ohio St, OL Damian Shankle (PS#93JC), OL Daniel Tufele (PS#316JC), DB Romeo Horn, WR Bryan Dougherty (PS#454JC), QB Zack Kusnir

SOUTH CAROLINA
WR Michael Bowman - Will not play
DB Antonio Allen - DNQ
RB Eric Baker - DNQ

S MISSISSIPPI
CB Ivory Bradshaw - Out for year (Torn ACL)
Additions: OG Calvin Wilson (PS#37!)

STANFORD
TE Matt Traverso - Not returning
SYRACUSE

TE Tom Ferron - Quit the team

Additions: DE Lee Williams - (eligible)
TCU
RB Detrick James - Kicked off team
TEMPLE
LG Sean Satchell - Lost
LB Dave Chiavacci - Lost
TENNESSEE
OL Cameron Mayo - Medical Hardship
DL Rolando Melacon - enrolled at JC

TEXAS TECHWR Jacob Amie - Will grayshirt
OL Omar Castillo - Will grayshirt

TOLEDO
FS Jeff Green - Academically Ineligible
FS Mark Jackson - Left team
LB David Fatula - Left team
S Tamawi McGhee - Academially Ineligible

UAB
DT Antonio Forbes - DNQ
WR Courtney Smith - No longer on team
RB Aaron Johns - DNQ

UCF
LB Troy Kelly - Not on roster
DT Parick Hanse - Not on roster
LB Josh Linam - Not on roster
DE Jason Pierre-Paul - Not on roster
DB Darnell Williams - Not on roster
LB Jordan Richards - Expected to miss the season
LB Kyle Fowler - Left the program
UCLA
RB Derrick Williams - Quit Football (health)
TE Ryan Moya - Due to injury will redshirt
RB Raymond Carter - will RS (tore ACL)

USC
RB Emmanuel Moody - Transferred
Additions: FB Jody Adewale - decided to return for final yr

USF
RB Josh Bellamy - Academically Ineligible
DE Claude Davis - Academically Ineligible
OT Lawrence McCoy - Academically Ineligible
TE Kevenski McGee - Academically Ineligble
LB Calvin Sutton - Academically Ineligible
WR Cory Erskin - Will likely miss entire season (injury)
Additions: RB Jamar Taylor (Alabama), QB Carlton Hill - Started Fall drills as FS but moved to WR

UTAH
OT Jason Boone - Torn ACL
LB Mo Neal - Won't join team until January
Additions:
QB Kyle Bowen - returning from Mission, CB Terrell Cole
UTAH ST
Additions:
WR Tarell Richards - Granted an extra year of eligibility

VIRGINIA
K Noah Greenbaum - Not expected to return for senior ssn.
WR Kevin Ogletree - Will miss the season
DB Mike Brown - Will miss the season
WR/DB Chase Minnifield
DE Kevin Crawford - Left the team

VIRGINIA TECH
DE Jason Adjepong - changed his name to Jason Worilds

WASHINGTON ST
OG Andy Roof - Out for season
OT Derek Hunter - Transferring
DT Bryan Tarkington - Left the team
C Peter Hill - Quit Football (knee inj)

W MICHIGAN
TE Matt Stevens - ACL out until at least October
TE Ben Hundermun - Left Team
LB Rudy Robinson - Career ending injury

WEST VIRGINIA
DL Junius Lewis - will grayshirt
RB Jason Gwaltney - NOR Fall
WR Brandon Barrett - NOR Fall

WISCONSINDB Otis Merrill - out for season (Shlder injury)
WYOMING
OL Erik Kottom - Transferred to Minnesota

These are only the updates. For prior injury lists from Phil Steele, look at Page 3.

At Texas lately, when it rains it poors:

Pittman injures shoulder

By Suzanne Halliburton | Saturday, August 18, 2007, 12:22 PM
Longhorn senior receiver Billy Pittman sprained his left shoulder Friday afternoon in practice. Given that it’s the same shoulder he injured his redshirt freshman season, his return to action won’t be rushed.
He was wearing a sling Saturday, and he did not participate in the indoor scrimmage.
Kenny Boyd, the Longhorns head athletic trainer, said: Billy will be out indefinitely. We will continue to evaluate him and monitor his progress in hopes of getting him back in time for the season opener.”
Pittman has been a starter for the past two years. He’s caught a pass in each of the past 12 games. And he’s had four, 100-yard receiving games in the past two years.
“I felt like I was having a really good camp and in the best shape of my career so I’m pretty disappointed about getting hurt,” Pittman said in a statement. “I have faith in our doctors, trainers and strength staff that they will get me back as soon as possible, hopefully for the first game.
“Im going to listen to them and be patient because I know how important it is for me to get this shoulder back to 100 percent and strong enough to handle a long season.”
With the season opener two weeks away, Texas receiving group is knicked up. But the position is also the deepest on the team.
Limas Sweed sprained his left wrist Wednesday as he was diving for a pass. He’s wearing a splint as a precaution and is expected back for the first game. In addition, Jordan Shipley has been limited with a strained hamstring from earlier this summer.
Quan Cosby, Texas’ second-leading receiver, is having an excellent camp, according to coaches, as is Nate Jones, a primary backup. who caught three touchdown passes in 2006.
Texas coach Mack Brown and offensive coordinator Greg Davis have both said that three true freshman should see playing time this fall so the Longhorn receivers will have seasoning for 2008. That’s when the Longhorns lose Sweed, Pittman and Jones to graduation.
So expect to see freshmen Brandon Collins, Malcolm Williams and James Kirkendoll on the field.

Going through tonight and crossing off players from Phil Steele's roster and noticed a few things:

Oregon State has lost their starting and backup punters
Idaho has lost a TON of talent from the defensive side of the ball (but only one starter).
Akron has lost a TON of talent from the offensive side of the ball (all starters and 2nd stringers).

Going through tonight and crossing off players from Phil Steele's roster and noticed a few things:

Oregon State has lost their starting and backup punters
Idaho has lost a TON of talent from the defensive side of the ball (but only one starter).
Akron has lost a TON of talent from the offensive side of the ball (all starters and 2nd stringers).

Interesting

Back