The "OFFICIAL" thread for injuries, suspensions, etc., since spring...

LSU's Odom arrested, suspended

Posted: Thursday August 23, 2007 11:04PM; Updated: Thursday August 23, 2007 11:04PM

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) -- An LSU football player was arrested Thursday, accused of trying to break into a condo near campus following an argument with the person who lives there, police said.
The specific charges against Derrick Odom III, of Jackson, Miss., were not immediately available, but LSU spokesman Michael Bonnett late Thursday confirmed the arrest and said coach Les Miles had indefinitely suspended Odom from the team while an investigation into the incident continues.
Odom was red-shirted as a freshman last year, but was expected to see some playing time this season in a backup capacity, officials said.
Detectives believe Odom went to a young man's home after getting into an argument with him. The young man called his father, and at some point Odom allegedly threatened the older man, detectives told WAFB-TV of Baton Rouge.
Once he couldn't force his way through the condo's door, he allegedly vandalized the young man's car which was parked in a lot nearby, detectives said.
Several other LSU players allegedly were involved, but police Sgt. Don Kelly said he could not provide details of the arrest or the case.
Odom, a former Callaway High School standout, was considered one of the top prospects coming out of Mississippi in 2006. As a senior at Callaway High School, he made 100 tackles with 12 sacks and 12 forced fumbles, according to the LSU media guide.
Odom is apparently the third member of LSU's 2006 signing class to get into trouble with the law.
Defensive back Troy Giddens of Hammond and offensive lineman Zhamal Thomas of New Iberia were arrested this past spring and later kicked off the team by Miles.
LSU, ranked second in the nation, opens the season on Thursday at Mississippi State.

Let the offensive futility continue:

FSU pegs Weatherford as starting QB

Posted: Thursday August 23, 2007 11:05PM; Updated: Thursday August 23, 2007 11:05PM

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Drew Weatherford will be Florida State's starting quarterback in its Sept. 3 season opener at Clemson.
Weatherford, who has started 23 of the Seminoles' past 26 games, beat out Xavier Lee for the starting slot.
"Obviously I am really happy," Weatherford said. "Our competition has been great since we have been here. We have both worked extremely hard and I am happy to get this opportunity once again to play with this team and hopefully make this team better."
Earlier this fall, Lee said he had decided to transfer after Florida State's 44-27 Emerald Bowl win over UCLA, but chose to stay when new offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher was hired in January.
"The main thing we were looking for is consistency," Fisher said. "Making more of the every down plays. I thought he made the routine plays more consistently than Xavier did, for the most part, during camp and I think that set him apart."
Fisher still expects Lee to be a part of his offensive game plan, but declined to say he would have a specific package to get him in the game against Clemson.
"He was very mature and handled it very well. We are going to need Xavier to help us win football games this year," Fisher said.
Lee briefly supplanted Weatherford as the starter this past season, but was benched in favor of Weatherford after two early interceptions in Florida State's 30-0 loss to Wake Forest.
"We are behind all the guys, so it doesn't really matter," starting tailback Antone Smith said.

Washington's Injury
By Paragon SC Section: Football
Posted on Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 11:34:08 PM EDT
</I>

Tell me about our depth at running back again...
Chauncey Washington is likely to miss the season opener as reported by the LA Times this evening. This is a painful injury don't kid yourself, the article doesn't state what grade of sprain the injury is but I would suspect that it is probably a Grade 1 sprain based on Washington being out possibly two weeks. It doesn't take much to get this injury and from what I have heard from those who saw the video it wasn't a real big hit that caused the injury.
Our guys continue to play hard and this is bound to happen no matter how much we want to wish it away. It is the nature of the environment at USC.
Here is a great write up on the AC Joint from the Southern California Orthopedic Institute (SCOI).
shoulder_acromioclavicular_separation_anat03.jpg

<CENTER>AC Joint
</CENTER>
What is the AC Joint in the shoulder?
The top of the wing bone or scapula is the acromion. The joint formed where the acromion connects to the collar bone or clavicle is the AC joint. Usually there is a protuberance or bump in this area, which can be quite large in some people normally. This joint, like most joints in the body, has a cartilage disk or meniscus inside and the ends of the bones are covered with cartilage. The joint is held together by a capsule, and the clavicle is held in the proper position by two heavy ligaments called coracoclavicular ligaments.
How is the AC Joint usually injured?
The AC joint is injured most often when one falls directly on the point of the shoulder. The trauma will separate the acromion away from the clavicle, causing a sprain or a true AC joint dislocation. In a mild injury, the ligaments which support the AC joint are simply stretched (Grade I), but with more severe injury, the ligaments can partially tear (Grade II) or completely tear (Grade III). In the most severe injury, the end of the clavicle protrudes beneath the skin and is visible as a prominent bump.
What is the proper treatment for a sprained AC Joint?
When a joint is first sprained, conservative treatment is certainly the best. Applying ice directly to the point of the shoulder is helpful to inhibit swelling and relieve pain. The arm can be supported with a sling which also relieves some of the weight from the shoulder. Gentle motion of the arm can be allowed to prevent stiffness, and exercise putty is very helpful to improve function of the elbow, wrist, and hand, but any attempts at vigorous shoulder mobilization early on will probably lead to more swelling and pain.
How long does it take for a shoulder separation to heal? Depending on how severe the injury is, it may heal adequately in two to three weeks. In severe cases, the shoulder may not heal without surgery.

acjdisloc_grd1_3_.jpg

<CENTER>Grade 1 Sprain
</CENTER>
acjdisloc_grd2.jpg

<CENTER>Grade II Sprain
</CENTER>
Now, I said earlier that I thought that Washington would play. I wouldn't rule that out just yet. The miracles of modern medicine will surprise you.

Based on some information that I got from a surgeon today it would not be out the question if the training staff administered 30-60 mg of Torodol intramuscularly before the game. This is done pretty frequently I hear and it has some great effects. Guys play with pain all the time and from what I have heard this medication does wonders. It is also used in Hip and Knee replacement procedures to deal with pain post operatively. So this has a pretty good track record.
I would understand if he DIDN'T play in the opener. It is Idaho after all and the point spread is pretty high so I wouldn't get too alarmed if he didn't play.

<!-- poll box --><TABLE width="40%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End poll box --><!-- End center content section -->

WOW LOOK AT THIS ONE..

Emanuel Cook, starting saftey, this shit don't stop does

Gamecock charged with unlawful possession of pistol

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Aug 24, 2007 11:32 AM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);</SCRIPT>Aug 24, 2007 11:32 AM EDT

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - Another Gamecock football player faces criminal charges, after police say he and another man had a gun illegally.
Authorities say 19-year-old Emmanuel Cook, Jr., a USC sophomore safety, was arrested Thursday night in Columbia. 21-year-old James Edward Gore, III, of Chester was also arrested.
Cook and Gore were arrested at 11:30pm Thursday at USC's East Quad dorm, where many athletes traditionally live.
According to an incident report, a USC officer saw Gore and Cook with a gun, and called city police. The officers arrived to find the two men standing beside Cook's '99 Ford Crown Victoria, as Gore tried to hide something in the car. When both men were detained, Cook reportedly told police there was a gun in the car.
A High Point .380 was found in the car, and a loaded magazine was found on Gore's body.
Gore is being charged with unlawful carry or display of a firearm, and Cook is being charged with unlawful possession of a pistol.
Cook is from Riviera Beach, Florida.
Count on WIS News 10 to bring you more information as it becomes available...

South Carolina strong safety Emanuel Cook, one of the top players in USC's rapidly improving secondary, has been "summarily suspended" from the university in the wake of his arrest early Friday morning by campus police on the misdemeanor charge of unlawful possession of a pistol.

Cook is currently detained at the Richland County Detention Center, where he is awaiting a bond hearing.

The USC Sports Information Office issued a press release announcing the suspension at about 12:30 p.m.

Under the provisions of the applicable South Carolina criminal statute, Cook faces a possible $1,000 fine or up to a year in jail, or both.

The statute provides as follows: "It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not. . ." unless one of the 16 specific exceptions set out in the statute apply.

Cook's photo and booking information appear on the web site for the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center, located on Bluff Road a few miles from Williams-Brice Stadium.

Cook was booked into the jail around 3:45 a.m. on Friday. The facility's web site indicated Cook was "currently detained" as of early Friday afternoon.

Besides being suspended from the university, a decision that prohibits him from attending classes and requires himto move out the dorms, Cook has been suspended indefinitely from the football team in accordance with athletic department policy.

Cook's arrest comes on the heels of the Thursday suspensions of quarterback Blake Mitchell and two other players for one game as a result of excessive classroom absences during the second session of summer school.

Mitchell, though, has appealed his suspension.

Cook's status for next Saturday's season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette at Williams-Brice Stadium is not known.

--------------------------------------

keeping the situation updated..

"Cook has been a model player and student since arriving at USC. He has no prior record with the law either from what I was told.

Cook claims it was not his gun, but a friend (not a football player) showed it to him and he was seen holding it and both were subsequently arrested.

Assuming that's accurate, and there's no reason to believe it's not, there is a chance the charges will be dropped. If not, he should be eligible for PTI as a first offense."

looking better than first reported

Last edited:
Uconn released its depth chart today for week one vs Duke.. I'm excited, it's a pretty deep depth chart-- Love the Wide Reciever corps.

UConn Football Announces Depth Chart

STORRS, Conn. (August 23, 2007) -- University of Connecticut head football coach Randy Edsall announced on Thursday afternoon his two-deep depth chart for the Huskies’ season-opener against Duke on Sept. 1 in Durham, N.C.
OFFENSE
WR: 80 Terence Jeffers (So., 6-2, 211) OR
24 Larry Taylor (Sr., 5-6, 167)
WR: 14 D.J. Hernandez (RJr., 6-1, 202) OR
3 Brad Kanuch (So., 6-0, 189)
LT: 64 William Beatty (RJr., 6-6, 306)
78 Zach Hurd (RFr., 6-7, 297)
LG: 62 Lawrence Green (RSo., 6-3, 321)
74 Alex LaMagdelaine (RSo., 6-3, 305)
C: 68 Keith Gray (RJr., 6-2, 294)
69 Trey Tonsing (RJr., 6-3, 278)
RG: 55 Donald Thomas (RSr., 6-3, 300)
66 Mathieu Olivier (RFr., 6-5, 279)
RT: 73 Dan Ryan (RSo., 6-8, 304)
79 Mike Hicks (RSo., 6-6, 336)
TE: 90 Steve Brouse (RJr., 6-4, 257)
91 Martin Bedard (Jr., 6-3, 239)
QB: 4 Tyler Lorenzen (Jr., 6-5, 226)
11 Dennis Brown (RSo., 6-3, 195)
TB: 34 Donald Brown (RSo., 5-10, 213)
5 Lou Allen (RJr., 6-2, 238)
FB: 47 Anthony Davis (RFr., 5-11, 237)
49 Anthony Sherman (Fr., 5-11, 225)
DEFENSE
DE: 45 Julius Williams (RJr., 6-2, 261)
56 Mike Cox (RFr., 6-3, 235)
DT: 65 Rob Lunn (RJr., 6-4, 281)
52 BrandonDillon (RSo., 6-3, 291)
DT: 6 Dan Davis (Sr., 6-1, 284)
54 Alex Polito (RFr., 6-6, 274)
DE: 50 Cody Brown (Jr., 6-3, 248)
9 Lindsey Witten (So., 6-5, 237)
SLB: 32 Scott Lutrus (RFr., 6-3, 220)
10 Greg Robinson, Jr. (RFr., 6-2, 230)
MLB: 48 Danny Lansanah (RSr., 6-1, 244)
18 AaronBryant (RSo., 6-3, 219)
WLB: 43 Ryan Henegan (RSr., 6-1, 238)
8 Lawrence Wilson (RFr., 6-1, 220)
CB: 1 Darius Butler (RJr., 5-11, 185)
16 Jasper Howard (Fr., 5-9, 162)
S: 33 Robert Vaughn (So., 6-0, 189)
27 Aaron Bagsby (Fr., 6-1, 180)
S: 36 Dahna Deleston (RJr., 6-0, 198)
15 Donnell Ford (RSr., 6-1, 202)
CB: 29 Tyvon Branch (Sr., 6-0, 193)
42 Robert McClain (So., 5-9, 198)
SPECIAL TEAMS
FG: 97 Tony Ciaravino (RJr., 6-2, 232)
38 David Teggart (Fr., 6-0, 206)
KO: 13 Desi Cullen (So., 6-1, 196)
P: 13 Desi Cullen (So., 6-1, 196)
97 Tony Ciaravino (RJr., 6-2, 232)
H: 13 Desi Cullen (So., 6-1, 201)
4 Tyler Lorenzen (Jr., 6-5, 226)
SN: 91 Martin Bedard (Jr., 6-3, 239)
89 Derek Rich (RFr., 6-4, 255)
KR: 29 Tyvon Branch (Sr., 6-0, 193)
24 Larry Taylor (Sr., 5-6, 167)
PR: 24 Larry Taylor (Sr., 5-6, 167)
16 Jasper Howard (Fr., 5-9, 162)

Veteran DE might miss SMU's season opener

04:02 AM CDT on Friday, August 24, 2007
By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning New

Senior defensive end Cory Muse, the only returning starter on the defensive line, might miss the season opener against Texas Tech on Sept. 3 because of a groin strain. Coach Phil Bennett said he doesn't want to rush Muse back and end up losing him for longer.

"It hasn't happened as fast as I wanted," Bennett said. "I'm not putting all the marbles on this game."

Bennett said he would probably know by Tuesday if Muse will be out.

Adams will start at QB for Ole Miss

Posted: Friday August 24, 2007 5:18PM; Updated: Friday August 24, 2007 5:18PM

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) -- Former walk-on Seth Adams will be the starting quarterback when Mississippi takes the field Sept. 1 against Memphis, coach Ed Orgeron announced Friday.
Kickoff for the team's season opener is 2:37 p.m. in the Liberty Bowl in Memphis.
Adams, who has been running with the first unit during the preseason, was selected over last year's starter, Brent Schaeffer, and redshirt freshman Michael Herrick.
"Since we opened the quarterback position in the spring, Seth has been the most consistent, both in the spring and in fall camp," Orgeron said in a statement. "Our quarterback position will be treated like any other position on the team. You have to earn your starting spot on a daily basis."
Adams, a 6-foot-4, 225-pounder from Holly Springs, walked on at Ole Miss in January of 2006 after transferring from Hinds Community College and participated in spring football drills.
Adams appeared in six games last year with significant time against LSU and Mississippi State. He completed 17 of 31 passes for 177 yards. But more significantly he showed the ability to calmly run the offense.
Schaeffer was inconsistent much of last season, completing 47.1 percent of his passes and throwing 10 interceptions and nine touchdowns.

Butler says heart problem will force him to hang it up

Posted: Friday August 24, 2007 5:33PM; Updated: Friday August 24, 2007 5:33PM
HOUSTON (AP) -- A University of Houston offensive lineman who passed out while lifting weights was released from the hospital Friday, saying his football career is probably over because of a heart problem.
"I am starting to realize the severity of the situation and what really happened, how this is a life changing deal," 20-year-old Jerrod Butler said in an interview with Houston television station KRIV.
Butler was admitted Aug. 13, and doctors had to surgically implant a defibrillator in his chest to treat his heart condition.
"I have to focus on school now," he said. "It was hard at first but then there's no substitute to life. I would much rather live than take a chance playing football.
School officials said they will let the 6-foot-2, 320-pound redshirt sophomore stay on his scholarship so he can complete his remaining three years of education.
"I can do the things that I have always done with the exception of playing football but other than that I'm living a normal life," he said.

Emmanuel Cook ineligible for season after gun arrest

Posted: Friday August 24, 2007 2:37PM; Updated: Friday August 24, 2007 5:21PM
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- South Carolina safety Emanuel Cook was arrested on a gun charge and suspended from the university Friday, making him ineligible to play for the Gamecocks.
Cook, a 19-year-old sophomore, was charged with unlawful possession of a pistol by someone younger than 21, according to a police report.
Cook and James Gore III, 21, were arrested by University of South Carolina police Thursday night at a parking lot near campus dormitories, the report said.
The athletic department issued a statement saying Cook was suspended from the university because of an arrest involving a weapon.
Cook was released from jail on his own recognizance, his attorney Lowell Bernstein said. Cook hopes to again be a student and rejoin the football team, Bernstein said.
"He's got no record and this is out of character for him," Bernstein said.
Cook, a sophomore from Riviera Beach, Fla., played in 10 games a year ago, starting five of them. He had 47 tackles last season, including five behind the line of scrimmage, and was named to the all-Southeastern Conference freshman team.
When police arrived at the campus dormitories Thursday, officers saw Gore try to hide something inside a car, according to the police report. Gore also did not comply when asked to show his hands.
Cook told police there was a gun in the car, and a loaded magazine was found on Gore, authorities said.
Bernstein said it was neither Cook's gun or car, but would not discuss any more about the case.
Gore, from Chester, was charged with carrying or displaying firearms in public buildings or adjacent areas, according to an arrest warrant. University spokesman Russ McKinney said Gore was a student and "summarily suspended" following his arrest.
Cook had a court hearing set for Sept. 17 on the misdemeanor charge, Bernstein said.
"Obviously, he's upset. He's never done anything like this before," Bernstein said. "He hopes the process will vindicate him."
Bernstein said Cook's goal is to return to school and to the football team.
McKinney could not speak specifically about Cook's case. In general, a student who had gun charges cleared up could appeal for reinstatement.
Athletic spokesman Steve Fink said coach Steve Spurrier would be available after Friday afternoon's practice.
Cook's arrest comes a day after coach Spurrier said three players, including starting quarterback Blake Mitchell, would sit out the first game against Louisiana-Lafayette on Sept. 1 because of excessive absences during summer school. The other players were running back Bobby Wallace and defensive back Chris Hail.

RJ.....I think your Cook article is wrong.. He is not ineligible yet..Many on the inside think the charges will be dismissed, it was his friends gun, there was no clip in it, he told the cops where the gun was at, and he has no priors...It is more of a case of "wrong place, wrong time" and very out of character for Cook

Cook was detained at the Richland County Detention Center on Bluff Road until mid-afternoon Friday when, according to an article on WLTX-Ch. 19's web site, he was set to be released on $2,000 personal recognizance bond.

The USC Sports Information Office issued a press release announcing the university suspension at about 12:30 p.m.

Under the provisions of the applicable South Carolina criminal statute, Cook faces a possible $1,000 fine or up to a year in jail, or both, on the charge.

The statute provides as follows: "It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not. . ." unless one of the 16 specific exceptions set out in the statute apply.

Cook's photo and booking information appeared on the web site for the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center beginning early Friday morning. Cook was booked into the jail around 3:45 a.m.

Besides being suspended from the university, a decision that prohibits him from attending classes and forces him to move out of the student dorms, Cook has been suspended indefinitely from the football team in accordance with athletic department policy.

Cook, who is 19, was arrested around 9:30 p.m. on Thursday along with 21-year old James Edward Gore, III of Chester.

According to the incident report, a witness saw Gore and Cook handling a gun outside the East Quad Dorm on the USC campus. The police were notified.

The police arrived at the scene to find Cook and Gore standing next to Cook's 1999 Ford Crown Victoria. When the police supposedly saw Gore try to hide "something" in the vehicle, Cook informed the officer a gun was located inside, according to the incident report.

A High Point .380 weapon was discovered in the vehicle and a body search of Gore revealed a loaded magazine.

Both players were handcuffed and driven to the Richland County jail.

Cook's arrest comes on the heels of the Thursday suspensions of quarterback Blake Mitchell and two other players for one game as a result of excessive classroom absences during the second session of summer school.

Mitchell, though, has appealed his suspension.

Cook will not be allowed to play in next Saturday's season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette at Williams-Brice Stadium unless he's reinstated both to the university and the football team.

USC is scheduled to practice Friday at 4:15 p.m. on the Bluff Road practice fields. As he customarily does, Steve Spurrier is expected to meet with the media afterwards.

Cook signed with USC in 2006 out of Palm Beach Gardens High School in Riviera Beach, Fla. and made an immediate impact in the secondary with his hard-hitting and fearless style.

He finished third on the Gamecocks in tackles last season with 47 despite playing in only 10 games, becoming the only player among the top 13 tacklers on the team that appeared in less than 12 games. Forty of his 47 tackles in 2006 were solo jobs.

He earned Freshman All-SEC honors from the league coaches and The Sporting News. He started five games, and is credited with making one of the plays that helped turn the momentum in favor of USC in last November's victory over Clemson, forcing Tigers tight end Thoms Hunter to fumble after catching a pass.

Cook had retained a firm grasp on the starting strong safety job throughout fall camp.

If Cook remains suspended for the season opener, the starting role would likely fall to senior Chris Hampton, who started 11 games in 2006 and collected 36 tackles.

ETG--That article was from SI and was issued at 2:30, 2 hours after the suspension announcement.

Do a little more homework, but I think the SI article will be correct. These schools ain't fucking around with gun possession.

ETG--The article about Cook is correct. And it gets even worse. UPI is reporting that he has been dismissed from school altogether.

South Carolina suspends Emanuel Cook

Published: Aug. 24, 2007 at 5:17 PM

COLUMBIA, S.C., Aug. 24 (UPI) -- University of South Carolina defensive back Emanuel Cook Friday was dismissed from the school after his arrest on an undisclosed weapons charge.

The school didn't provide details in a statement on its Web site but confirmed his dismissal.

The State newspaper in Columbia, S.C., reported Friday a campus police incident report late Thursday night said Cook and another man possessed a pistol outside a dormitory and were arrested after trying to hide the weapon.

Cook was being held at the Richland County,S.C., jail on a charge of unlawful possession of a pistol.

School spokesman Russ McKinney told the newspaper because of the suspension, Cook, a 5-foot, 10-inch, 206-pound sophomore from Riviera Beach, Fla., is prohibited from taking classes or living in university housing.

Last season, he earned Freshman All-Southeast Conference after he tied for third on the Gamecocks with 47 tackles in 10 games.

Reversal of another major issue--Coker is back at UT.

Coker's suspended lifted, rejoins Vols

Posted: Friday August 24, 2007 8:44PM; Updated: Friday August 24, 2007 8:44PM

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee tailback LaMarcus Coker, the team's leading rusher last season who was indefinitely suspended two weeks ago, will rejoin the team.
Coach Phillip Fulmer said Friday that Coker "has fulfilled his obligations" to return to the team starting with practice Saturday. He also said that the decision came "at the recommendation of [Coker's] medical advisers."
"He's worked out some, I don't know how much," Fulmer said. "Really, he's been quite busy doing other things."
Fulmer also said that the troubled tailback's attitude through the entire ordeal has been exceptional.
Though he will be back, Coker will not make the trip to California for the Tennessee's season opener Sept. 1, but could make the home opener the following week.
"I do expect him to return against Southern Miss if he continues on a positive track," Fulmer said.
The sophomore led the Volunteers with 696 rushing yards his freshman year, even though he was sidelined for two games by an injured knee. He was competing for time with junior Arian Foster and sophomore Montario Hardesty.
Coker, who had a pair of touchdown runs for more than 80 yards each last season, was suspended for several practices last December for undisclosed reasons.

Starting DE Jamal Cooper from Wisconsin has been suspended indefintly by Bielema. Rumor has it he might have shown up to practice drunk which would not be good.

Tharp named Boise St.'s starting QB

Posted: Friday August 24, 2007 9:24PM; Updated: Friday August 24, 2007 9:24PM

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- Boise State coach Chris Petersen announced late Friday that Taylor Tharp will be the starting quarterback in the Broncos' season opener against Weber State on Thursday.
The senior beat out junior Bush Hamdan and sophomore Nick Lomax to get the job.
In two seasons as a backup, Tharp -- a typical drop-back passer -- completed 32 of 47 passes for 259 yards and two touchdowns.
Last year, backing up Jared Zabransky, he saw limited action in a mop-up role. That season the Broncos went 13-0, won the Fiesta Bowl and finished No. 5 in the final Associated Press poll.
The Broncos enter this season ranked No. 24.
Tharp was listed as the starting quarterback when the school released its chart for the Weber State game at Bronco Stadium.

Wisconsin Suspends Starting DE Cooper

Posted Aug 24th 2007 9:35PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Wisconsin Football, Big 10, Wisconsin
bret-bielema-with-trophy.jpg
Just a couple days after he was named the starting left defensive end, Wisconsin defensive end Jamal Cooper may be fighting an uphill battle just to play for the Badgers again.

His suspension was announced Friday in a rather terse late-day statement on the Badgers' website:
Jamal Cooper, a senior defensive end with the Wisconsin football team, has been suspended indefinitely from the program for conduct detrimental to the team, head coach Bret Bielema announced at the conclusion of practice Friday afternoon.

Cooper will have access to full academic support services, but will no longer be a part of the football program in any other way.
Obviously, it's tough to say how long "indefinitely" is in this case, since we really don't know what Cooper did wrong. But it doesn't look good, especially when you consider that Cooper was only reinstated to the program in February, and Bielema said he had to meet certain requirements to stay on the team.

With Cooper out for an undetermined period of time, and perhaps for good, it looks like Kurt Ware will assume the starting job at left defensive end. However, Ware has been hampered a bit in practice as he comes back from knee surgery.

Wisconsin opens the season September 1 at Camp Randall Stadium against Washington State.

Phil Steele Update.

This is the complete list as of today, including previously listed injuries.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5>Week one Injuries
</TD><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD height=36></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=15></TD><TD height=15></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD colSpan=7>Players to Circle in your 2007 College Preview Magazine!
</TD><TD colSpan=4></TD><TD height=24></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=15></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=7></TD><TD colSpan=8 rowSpan=4>NEW MEXICO
DE Luke Higgins - Left the Team
WR Mike Vanderberg - Left the team
WR Jerrell Miller - Academically Ineligible
OL Matt Stredid - Acaemically Ineligible
CJ Oakley - Transferring to NM Military Institute (Fall Semester)
TB Mike Love - Could return
NT Vincent Federico - Will not play this fall (could return in spg)
RB Martelius Epps - Gave up FB
DB Roy Hackey - Left team over summer
WR Jason Caprioli - Transfer to N Colorado
MLB Jacob Bane - Left team over summer

Additions: OT Ivan Hernandez
NEW MEXICO ST
RB Randell Bell - will not be joining the team
K Kyle Hughes - ruled academically ineligible
LT Brett Leads -ruled academically ineligible
LB JD Dowling - ruled academically ineligible
WR Barry Huntley - ruled academically ineligible
Additions:
DE Rhyan Anderson - Transferred from Miami Fla, TE Kyle Nelson - Tulsa
N CAROLINA

WR Dwight Jone - DNQ Hargrave

NC STATE
TE Anthony Hill - Out Year
LB Avery Vogt - Transferred
OG Gerard Miller - Transferred
NORTH TEXAS
SS Roy Loren - No longer with team
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
None
NORTHWESTERNWR Andrew Brewer - Out year (Broken arm)
NOTRE DAME
QB Zach Frazier - Transferring to Conn will sit in '07
OHIO

CB Tony Ward - Not with team
OHIO ST

DB Brandon Underwood - Released from scholarship
DE Walter Dublin -Transferred
DT Juan Garnier - Left Team
DE Ryan Williams - Transferred to SDSt

OKLAHOMANone
OKLAHOMA ST
WR Artrell Woods - Lost for the season (injury)
WR Anthony Parks - Transferred
OREGON
Dexter Manley II - Transferring out of school
DE Victor Filipe - Left team (transferring)
DT Myles Wade - DNQ
DT Simi Fili - DNQ
WR RiShard Matthews - DNQ
CB Jackie Bates - Transferred to Hampton

OREGON ST
P Kyle Loomis - Quit the team
LB Eric Moala Liava'a - RS (due to injury)
WR - Reggie Dunn - going to JC
P Jon Strowbridge - Ineligible
WLB Danzel Isaac - Ineligible
CB Coye Francies - Dismissed
WR Sammie Stroughter - taking indefinite leave of absence; return questionable
WR Lofa Liilii - DNQ
OL Una Smiley - Grayshirt
DL Kyle Bell - RS

Additions - RB Patrick Fuller (returned for Fall)
PENN ST

S Spencer Ridenhour - will transfer to a IAA school
DE Devon Still - Out for season (Torn ACL)
DB Travis Mcbride - Not on 105 man roster (Acad)
PITTSBURGH

OL Kevin Hughes - Left Team (Academics)
WR Derek Kinder - Out season (torn ACL)
SS Elijah Fields - Suspended for season
DT Derrell Jones - Transferred
LB Greg Webster - probably out for the season
PURDUE
LT Jason Kacinko - Transferred to Pittsburgh
FS Brandon Blackmon - Transferred
WR Dray Mason - Academically Ineligible
LB Brian Ellis - Didn't qualify Academically
K Tim Dougherty - Transferred to Louisville

RICE
None
RUTGERS

CB Anthony Miller - Left the Team
CB Dimitri Linton - Retired from football
OC Dave McClain - Transferring
TE Jeff Minemyer - Out year (medical)
LB Edmond Laryea - out for season (knee)
SAN DIEGO ST
QB Kevin Craft - Transfer
OG Whitley Fehoko - left team
C Peter Manuma - Academically Ineligible
Additions: DE Ryan Williams (PS#58) Transfer from Ohio St, OL Damian Shankle (PS#93JC), OL Daniel Tufele (PS#316JC), DB Romeo Horn, WR Bryan Dougherty (PS#454JC), QB Zack Kusnir
SAN JOSE ST
Additions:
WR David Marrero - Stanford
SMU

QB Corey Slater - Left the team
MLB Reggie Carrington - Left the team
FS Rock Dennis - lost for the year (Shoulder inj)
Additions:
DT Serge Elizee (Minnesota), DB DeMikel Shankle
SOUTH CAROLINA

WR Michael Bowman - Will not play
DB Antonio Allen - DNQ
RB Eric Baker - DNQ
S MISSISSIPPI

WR Rodney Gray - Dismissed from the team
CB Ivory Bradshaw - Out for year (Torn ACL)
OL Julius Gray (PS#57) - left the team
Additions:
DE Mattew Chatelain, OG Calvin Wilson (PS#37!)
STANFORD
TE Matt Traverso - Not returning
FB Emeka Nnoli - Retired from football (hip injury)
SYRACUSE

FB Breyone Evans - Transferred to Div IAA Massachusetts
WR Jeremy Horne - Transferred to Div IAA Massachusetts
TE Tom Ferron - Quit the team
LB Jermaine Pierece - Career over
Additions: DE Lee Williams - (eligible)

TCU
RB Detrick James - Kicked off team
TEMPLE
LG Sean Satchell - Lost
LB Dave Chiavacci - Lost
WR Dale Parris - Out for year (fractured ankle)
TENNESSEE
WR Slick Shelley - Transferred to Tulsa
DB DaShaun Barnes - Left Team
DE Rae Sykes - expected to enroll at Coffeyville CC
DL Cory Hall - will attend Northwestern Miss JC
OL Cameron Mayo - Medical Hardship
DL Rolando Melacon - enrolled at JC
TE/FB David Holbert - Will miss season
TEXAS

S Robert Joseph - Transferring
TEXAS A&M

None
TEXAS TECHWR Jacob Amie - Will grayshirt
OL Omar Castillo - Will grayshirt
OL Ofa mohetau - Quit the team
TOLEDO

FS Jeff Green - Academically Ineligible
FS Mark Jackson - Left team
LB David Fatula - Left team
S Tamawi McGhee - Academially Ineligible
RB Richard Davis - will not play this year (susp)
Additions:
RB Richard White
TROY
None
TULANENone
TULSA
DE Anthony Egbuniwe - Transferred to Georgia Tech
TE Kyle Nelson - Transferred to New Mexico State
UAB

SLB Kris Guyton - No longer on team

SLB Jeff Williams - No longer on team
NT Todd Howanitz - No longer on team
DT Cortlin Johnson - No longer on team
DT Antonio Forbes - DNQ
WR Courtney Smith - No longer on team
RB Aaron Johns - DNQ
UCF

LB Troy Kelly - Not on roster
DT Parick Hanse - Not on roster
LB Josh Linam - Not on roster
DE Jason Pierre-Paul - Not on roster
DB Darnell Williams - Not on roster
LB Jordan Richards - Expected to miss the season
LB Kyle Fowler - Left the program
QB Marquel Neasman - left program
UCLA
KR Jeremy McGee - Transferred to Ole Miss
RB Derrick Williams - Quit Football (health)
TE Ryan Moya - Due to injury will redshirt
RB Raymond Carter - will RS (tore ACL)

ULMNone
UNLV
QB Jarrod Jackson - Retired from football
QB Rocky Hinds - Could be out year (ligament tear)

Additions: DE Preston Brooks - Transferred from Wash St
P Zach David - Walk on Fall
OL Siosifa Moala - cleared Aug 4th
USC
DE Chris Barrett - Ineligible for the '07 season
RB Michael Coleman - Transferred
RB Emmanuel Moody - Transferred
WR Jamere holland - Dismissed from the team
WLB Joshua Tatum - left team, transferring
Additions:
FB Jody Adewale - decided to return for final yr
USF

RB Ricky Ponton- Transfer
K Mike Benzer- No longer with team
SLB LaBrandon Glover-(#4 All BE) Transfer
FS Danny Verpaele- Academically Ineligible for '07
WR Amp Hill - Will Transfer
RB Josh Bellamy - Academically Ineligible
DE Claude Davis - Academically Ineligible
OT Lawrence McCoy - Academically Ineligible
TE Kevenski McGee - Academically Ineligble
LB Calvin Sutton - Academically Ineligible
WR Cory Erskin - Will likely miss entire season (injury)
Additions: RB Jamar Taylor (Alabama), QB Carlton Hill - Started Fall drills as FS but moved to WR

UTAH
OT Jason Boone - Torn ACL
LB Mo Neal - Won't join team until January
Additions:
QB Kyle Bowen - returning from Mission, CB Terrell Cole
UTAH ST
RB Antraun McDaniel - Left team

Additions: WR Tarell Richards - Granted an extra year of eligibility
UTEP

SLB Emeri Spence - Dismissed from the team
VANDERBILT

DE Quavian Lewis - Will not return
DB Marquez Hall - Will not return
WR Steven Goulet - Will not return
Additions:
TE Brandon Barden (Virginia Tech)
VIRGINIA

K Noah Greenbaum - Not expected to return for senior ssn.
WR Kevin Ogletree - Will miss the season
DB Mike Brown - Will miss the season
WR/DB Chase Minnifield
DE Kevin Crawford - Left the team
VIRGINIA TECH
True Frosh TE Brandon Barden - Transferred to Vanderbilt
RB George Bell - Transferred to Catawba College
LB Quillie Odom - Will attend Hargrave Military Academy
RB DJ Thomas - Will attend Hargrave Military Academy
RB Kendrick Pressley - Will attend Hargrave Military Academy
DE Jason Adjepong - changed his name to Jason Worilds

WAKE FOREST
LB Eric Berry - Academically Ineligible
WASHINGTON
DL Emeka Iweka - Acad Ineligible
DE Anthony Atkins - DNQ
WASHINGTON ST

RB Derrell Hutsona - Left the team

SS DeWayne Patterson - Left the team
OG Andy Roof - Out for season
OT Derek Hunter - Transferring
DT Bryan Tarkington - Left the team
C Peter Hill - Quit Football (knee inj)
WR Michael Willis - Ineligible
TE Tyson Pencer - DNQ
LB Wyman Alexander - DNQ
DL Oga Faumui - DNQ
DL Adam Hineline - Left team

W MICHIGAN
WR Chris Maragos - Left team to walk on at Wisconsin
TE Matt Stevens - ACL out until at least October
TE Ben Hundermun - Left Team
LB Rudy Robinson - Career ending injury
P Andrew Yuds - left team will not return
DT Jacoby Love - Left program

WEST VIRGINIA
DL Junius Lewis - will grayshirt
RB Jason Gwaltney - NOR Fall
WR Brandon Barrett - NOR Fall
DT Asa Chapman - DNQ
WR Jeremy Bruce - Transferred to Akron
WR Andrew Harris - prep school
Additions: LB John Hafferty - Kansas St

WISCONSIN
WR Jarvis Minton - Won't return
TB John Clay - Acad Ineligible
DB Otis Merrill - out for season (Shlder injury)
Additions: WR Chris Maragos (W Michigan), TB John Clay

WYOMINGK Aric Goodman -Transferred
Backup WR Darion Donnelly - Injured
OL Erik Kottom - Transferred to Minnesota

</TD><TD height=1></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2></TD><TD colSpan=4 rowSpan=2>AIR FORCE
OT Dan Holder - Could be out 4-5 wks (knee)

AKRON
WR David Harvey - No longer with team
WR Johnny Long - No longer with team
WR Jermaine Lindsay - No longer with team
C Jim Holley - No longer with team
LG Garrett Brewster - No longer with team
QB Sean Hakes - Left Team
Additions:WR Jeremy Bruce - Transferred from West Virginia

ALABAMA
Backup QB Jimmy Barnes - Transferred to Weber St
RB Jamar Taylor - Transferred to USF
DB Andy Davis - Transferred to Samford
DL Kerry Murphy - DNQ
WR Jake Jones - Med Hardship
DL Byron Walton - Med Hardship
WR Aaron McDaniel - Med Hardship
WR Tyrone Prothro - Med Hardship
SS Micahel Ricks - DNQ

ARIZONA
SLB Vuna Tuihalamaka - DNQ
DL Levar Brown - DNQ
ARIZONA ST

CB Chad Green - out for the season
Additions:
DE Paul Unga
ARKANSAS

WR Andrew Norman - will transfer
OL Colin Tucker - Left the team
RB Juwan Franklin - DNQ
TE Mason Templeton - Has exhausted his eligibility

ARKANSAS ST
WR Patrick Higgins - Dismissed from the team
ARMY
None
AUBURN

LB Patrick Trahan - Ineligible
Backup DT Greg Smith - Ineligible
LB El Toro Freeman - DNQ
TB Enrique Davis - DNQ
OL Nick Fairley - DNQ
DL Wilfred Journet - DNQ
DL Chris Zinn - DNQ
BALL ST

WLB Wendall Brown - Out for year
BAYLOR
None
BOISE ST
WR Aiona Key - Left School
BOSTON COLLEG
E
Brian Toal - Will sit out (shoulder injury)
CB Reshaude Goodwin - Left the team & is transferring
BOWLING GREEN
None
BUFFALOCB Sherrod Lott - Not with team
RT Travis Coughlin - Not with team

BYUQB Cade Cooper - Transfer
DB Nate Hutchison - Out for the year
DL Kyle Luekenga - Out for the year
OL Jeff Rhea - Out for the year
DB Chris Warner - Out for the year
DB Dustin Gabriel - Potentially career ending foot surgery
NG Russell Tialavea - Out year (Torn ACL & MCL)
NG Romey Fuga - On an LDS Mission
OT Levi Mack (PS#44JC)- will RS this year (Shoulder surg)
RB JJ Di Luigi - Out 8-10 wks
CALIFORNIA

WR Nyan Boateng - Will sit out season
DE Phillip Mbakogu - Career likely over (knee surg)
LB Alex Cook - Won't join tm until next spring
C MICHIGAN
None
CINCINNATI
WR Derrick Stewart- Academically Ineligible
DE Trevor Anderson - Transfer
RB Mister Simpson - ineligible for '07
LG Jeremy Bolton - Left team
DE Trevor Anderson - Will Transfer

CLEMSON
FS Brandon Croley - Transferred to NC A&T
LB Stanley Hunter - Failed to meet NCAA standards
COLORADO

DE Drew Hudgins - ruled out for the season

COLORADO ST
None

CONNECTICUT
WR Brandon McLean - Dismissed from team
LG Andrew Presnell - Quit team
CB Darren McKahn - Will transfer
CB James Nixon - Academics will transfer
RB Luke Cox - Transferred to Georgia Tech
LB Jarrell Miller - Ineligible for '07
DB Corey Stringer - Suspended indef
RB Andrew Dixon - Suspended indef

Additions: S Dehna Deleston - dismissed last year
DUKE
None
EAST CAROLINA

DL Wendell Chavis - Out season (suspension)
E MICHIGAN
None
FLORIDA
OL Ronnie Wilson - Suspended for '07 season
FLORIDA ATLANTIC
None
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
None

FLORIDA ST
LB Jamar Jackson - out for season
C John Frady - status unknown
OL Matt Hardrick - Dismissed
C John Frady - Will move to TE for SR Season
DE/TE DJ Norris - out for ssn and probably career (shoulder inj)
LB Jae Thaxton - out for good (concussions)
OL FR Anthony Grosso - left the team

Additions: S Kenny Ingram (PS#19 '04)
FRESNO ST

LB Ahijah Lane - out for season (injury)
DE Chris Lewis - Suspended for Fall
OL James Meeks - Will not return to team
GEORGIA

CB Paul Oliver - Ineligible (drafted by San Diego in 4th RD of Supplemental draft)
GEORGIA TECH

FB Trevor Bray - Out for the year (injury)
QB Steven Threet - Has left the program

Additions: FB Luke Cox (UConn)
HAWAII

WR Jason Ferguson - Retired from football (injury)
Additions: RB Leon Wright-Jackson - cleared to play (trans from Neb)
HOUSTON
C Naseri Eteuini - Quit
TE Brian Broehm - Quit
OLB Stephen James - Torn ACL and is out for season
LG Jerrod Butler - Not sure of his return (heart condition)

Additions: QB Al Pena
IDAHO

WR Tariq Ikharo - Dismissed
RB Tracy Ford - Dismissed
NT Alex Toailoa - Dismissed
CB General Parnell - Dismissed
CB Terrance McCoy - Dismissed
LB Steve Cameron - Dismissed
FS Jevon Butler - Dismissed
DT Marvin Jones - Dismissed
DT Jon Dominguez - No longer on team
RB Andre Harris - Dismissed
ILLINOIS
None
INDIANA
TE Ty Harangody - Quit playing Football (injury)
OL James Brewer - Out Year (Foot)
IOWA
RB Shonn Green - Will sit out 2007
CB Amari Spievey - transferred
DB Marcus Wilson - Not on roster
DL Ettore Ewen - career ending injury
WR Dominique Douglas - suspended indef
WR Anthony Bowman suspended indef
IOWA ST

LB Adam Carper - Will not play this season (knee injury)
KANSAS
Additions:
LB Chea Peterman, OL Jason Hind

KANSAS STNone
KENT
Additions: LB Cobrani Mixon (Michigan)
KENTUCKY
DL DJ Stafford - DNQ
WR/DB Duran Jefferson - Scholarship recinded
WR Terrence Jones - Out for season (knee)
DE Charles Mustafaa - Sidelined indefinitely (injury)
DE Nii Adjei Oninku - ACL injury
LOUISIANA-LFT
None
LOUISIANA TECH
None

LOUISVILLE
DE Jonathan Holston- Dismissed from team
RG Marcel Benson - out '07
RG Marcus Gordon - Has left team
OL Jeremy Baker - Dismissed from team
DE Jonathan Holston - Dismissed from team
DE Josh Williams - NOR Fall
CB Lamar Alston- Dismissed from team
LB Tyler Wimsatt - Dismissed from team
Additions: OL Abdul Kuyateh (Reedly CC), Charles Millenbah (Grossmont CC), K Tim Dougherty - Transferred (Purdue)

LSU
WR DeAngelo Benton - Enrolled at Hargrave
RB Alley Broussard - Quit the team
DB Delvin Breaux - Not medically cleared to practice (neck injury)
OL Steven Singleton - Will transfer
MARSHALL

P Marty Biagi - out until at least October (Torn ACL)
DT Bilal El-Amin - Quit the team
DE Albert McClellan - Torn ACL out for season

MARYLAND
LT Jared Gaither - Acad Inel (#5DC Supplemenal draft)
DT Omarr Savage - Academically Ineligible
DE Barrod Heggs - Academically Ineligible
LB Brian Dickerson - Quit the team
QB Bobby Sheahin - Transferring to Salisbury University
LB Alez Wujciak - will miss the season
MLB Alex Wujciak - Out year
MEMPHIS

Billy Barefield - Transferring to Northwestern Oklahoma St (NAIA)

MIAMI, FL
DE Rhyan Anderson - Transferred to New Mexico St

MIAMI, OHNone
MICHIGAN

LB Cobrani Mixon - Transferred to Kent St
DL Justin McKinney - retired
OL Justin Schifano - retired

MICHIGAN ST
DT Bobby Jones - Transferred to Nebraska-Omaha (Div II)
OL Tom Kaczmarek - Retired (knee)
OL Jason Diehl - Out year (knee)
OL Arthur Ray - Out year
DL Ishmyl Johnson - Decided not to enroll
Additions: DL Michael Jordan

MIDDLE TENNESSEENone
MINNESOTA
DT Serge Elizee - Transferred to SMU
RB EJ Jones - Kicked off the team
DE Alex Daniels - Kicked off the team
CB Dominic Jones - Kicked off the team
CB Keith Massey - Kicked off the team
Additions: OL Erik Kottom (Wyoming), DE Derrick Onwuachi
MISSISSIPPITE David Rue - DNQ
WR AJ Jackson (PS#31JC) - DNQ
RB/WR Mico McSain - Academically ineligible

Additions: P Bryan Powers, DT Jerrell Powe (PS#2DL)
MISSISSIPPI ST
QB Ty Evans - Left team
DB Brandon Thornton - Left team
DL Korentheus Bailey - DNQ
LB Maurice Crutison - DNQ
DB Antwon Dixon - DNQ
DL Jazzmen Guy - DNQ
DB Mike Hunt - DNQ
OL Colton Jenkins - DNQ
LB Antonio White - DNQ
WR O'Neal Wilder - DNQ
MISSOURI

None
NAVY
None
NEBRASKACB Corey Young - Left the team
NT Craig Roark - Left the team
DL Demetrious Davis - Academically ineligible
OL Aaron Schulte - Academically Ineligible
NEVADA

OL Kyle Robertson - Dismissed from team
LB Joe Easter - Quit the team
TE Brent Keaster - Left the Team (personal)
C Kyle Roberton - Dismissed from the team
CB De'Angelo Wilson - kicked off the team/ Transferred to Youngstown St

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Arkansas suspends starting DE

Posted: Saturday August 25, 2007 2:04PM; Updated: Saturday August 25, 2007 2:04PM

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) -- Arkansas defensive end Marcus Harrison is suspended indefinitely after being arrested early Saturday morning on a felony drug charge and misdemeanor traffic charges.
The Washington County jail said Harrison, 23, was arrested by Fayetteville police and booked just after 3 a.m.
The jail listed Harrison as being held on charges of possession of a controlled substance, speeding, driving with a restricted driver's license and not wearing a seat belt. The jail also showed Harrison charged with failure to appear.
A deputy at the jail said Harrison remained in custody Saturday afternoon on $5,290 bail.
Coach Houston Nutt issued a statement Saturday afternoon that Harrison had violated team rules and would not play in the No. 21 Razorbacks' season opener against Troy on Sept. 1. Nutt said Harrison could face further disciplinary measures.
"I am deeply disappointed that any student athlete would put himself and his team in the position of losing a senior starter due to off-the-field conduct," Nutt said in a news release. "We will await the legal process and review his status in the coming weeks."
Harrison, a senior for the Razorbacks, tore his anterior cruciate ligament in March during a spring practice. He was listed atop the depth chart Friday by the team. Senior Chris Wade was listed as Harrison's backup.
Harrison started five games in 2006.

RJ - I notice some of Phil's injuries are in the RED, while the rest are black. Is that because the RED means they are newer; or updated since the previous update? Or does that involve the importance of the player/ severity of the situation?

Rex--I think that Phil is trying to say that the ones in red are additions since the last update. I've been going through it and all the ones in black are old scratches while the ones in red have been new.

Speaking of Emanuel Cook, whether or not he is innocent, I do not know. I do know he won't be playing for a while. Emanuel is in Richland Memorial with appendicitis. I have never had the surgery but I am guessing it is 4-5 weeks minimum before you can resume a contact sport like football. The procedure was laproscoptic, I have no idea what the hell that is but for those curious. It has just been a tough week for Cook and I feel bad for the young guy

Impact on SC? Stoney Woodson will slide over to saftey and Carlos Thomas will remain at CB. Stoney and Carlos were in a back and forth battle to lock down the corner spot opposite Munnerlyn but since things this week have changed with Emanuel, they moved Woodson over to saftey in Saturday's practice. The depth in the defensive backfield got a little tinner this weekend but the starting 4 should be pretty solid. Woodson is better in pass coverage, Emanuel was a better tackler.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=910 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=585><!--BEGIN: STORY--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- ARTICLE HEADLINE -->Mauk to start for UC
BY BILL KOCH | BKOCH@ENQUIRER.COM
<!-- BEGIN: Story Chat Refer --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Ben Mauk will be the starting quarterback for the University of Cincinnati when the Bearcats open their football season Thursday against Southeast Missouri State.
UC coach Brian Kelly, who on Saturday said he would wait until Wednesday to announce his starting quarterback, changed his mind and said Sunday that Mauk had beaten out Dustin Grutza, last year’s starter; Reading High School product Tony Pike; and Elder High School product Craig Carey.
“He has become familiar with the offense in a very short period of time,” Kelly said of Mauk.
ad_head.gif

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript>OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1');</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--var plugin = 0;if (navigator.mimeTypes && navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"] && navigator.mimeTypes["application/x-shockwave-flash"].enabledPlugin){if (navigator.plugins && navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"])plugin = 1;}else if (navigator.userAgent && navigator.userAgent.indexOf("MSIE")>=0&& (navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows 95")>=0 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows 98")>=0 || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Windows NT")>=0)) {document.write('<SCRIPT LANGUAGE=VBScript>\n');document.write('on error resume next \n');document.write('plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3")))\n');document.write('if ( plugin <= 0 ) then plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4")))\n');document.write('if ( plugin <= 0 ) then plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))\n');document.write('if ( plugin <= 0 ) then plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))\n');document.write('</SCRIPT> \n');}if ( plugin ){document.write('<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"');document.write(' codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=3,0,0,0" ');document.write(' ID=ad_banner_example WIDTH=160 HEIGHT=600>');document.write('

');document.write(' <EMBED src="http://www.cincinnati.com/sponsors/sibcycline/sibcyRedCarpet_160x600.swf?clickTAG=http://gcirm.cincinnati.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/news.cincinnati.com/sports/bearcats/index.html/525884092/ArticleFlex_1/OasDefault/sibcy_skyscraper/sibcy_160x600.html/38623534346136363436643232633530?http://www.sibcycline.com/" menu=false quality=high bgcolor=WHITE ');document.write(' swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=160 HEIGHT=600');document.write(' TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash">');document.write(' </EMBED>');document.write(' </OBJECT>');}//--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript>on error resume next plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3")))if ( plugin <= 0 ) then plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4")))if ( plugin <= 0 ) then plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5")))if ( plugin <= 0 ) then plugin = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))</SCRIPT><OBJECT id=ad_banner_example codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=3,0,0,0 height=600 width=160 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<EMBED src="http://www.cincinnati.com/sponsors/sibcycline/sibcyRedCarpet_160x600.swf?clickTAG=http://gcirm.cincinnati.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/news.cincinnati.com/sports/bearcats/index.html/525884092/ArticleFlex_1/OasDefault/sibcy_skyscraper/sibcy_160x600.html/38623534346136363436643232633530?http://www.sibcycline.com/" menu=false quality=high bgcolor=WHITE swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=160 HEIGHT=600 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED> </OBJECT>

The UC coach said he decided to name the starter Sunday because with as many as eight new starters on offense, he thought it was important to have leadership from the quarterback position for the last few days of practice leading up to the season opener.

Mauk, a 6-foot-1, 200-pound senior, was the starting quarterback at Wake Forest last year before injuring his arm and shoulder in the season opener vs. Syracuse.

He enrolled at UC last spring as a graduate student after completing work on his undergraduate degree in education at Wake Forest.

In three years at Wake, he completed 148 of 283 passes for 1,522 yards and four touchdowns. He was intercepted 10 times.

At Kenton High School in northwest Ohio, he set national career passing records for completions (1,105), attempts (1,931) and yards (17,534), while leading Kenton to back-to-back state championships.

Kelly Interview:
http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-...hool=cinn&

Mauk Interview:
http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/06-...hool=cinn&

Double dose of bad news

PSU's Koroma breaks foot; Quarless placed on suspension
Friday, August 24, 2007 BY BOB FLOUNDERS
Of The Patriot-News
Two of the Penn State football program's top young players are out indefinitely for different reasons.
The Patriot-News has learned that promising redshirt freshman defensive tackle Abe Koroma, the former Milton Hershey star, broke a bone in one of his feet during a scrimmage Wednesday.
A source close to the situation confirmed Koroma's injury Thursday night.
According to the source, Koroma broke a small bone toward the outside part of the foot. PSU team doctor Wayne Sebastianelli is expected to perform surgery on the 6-3, 305-pound Koroma today, according to the source.
Koroma is expected to be on crutches for two weeks and the rehab time, according to the source, could be anywhere from four to eight weeks.
In addition, PSU sophomore tight end Andrew Quarless, who was cited by university police for underage drinking last week, is serving a suspension as a result of the incident, according to Nittany Lions offensive coordinator Galen Hall.
Hall, speaking on the Nittany Lion Hotline call-in radio program Thursday night, said the 18-year-old Quarless is on "indefinite suspension".
Hall also said PSU head coach Joe Paterno will decide when the suspension is lifted.
Koroma had performed well for the Lions in the spring and was expected to be part of PSU's tackle rotation inside, along with Lebanon sophomore Jared Odrick, sophomore Phil Taylor and redshirt freshman Ollie Ogbu.
As for Quarless, when another caller Thursday attempted to ask if Quarless is practicing with the team, show host Steve Jones said Quarless's status is a team matter that will be addressed by Paterno.
Jones is also play-by-play man on the PSU football radio broadcasts.
Quarless and redshirt sophomore defensive back Willie Harriott were cited for underage drinking last Friday morning in one of the buildings in the on-campus Nittany Apartments.
Last week, PSU team spokesman Jeff Nelson said Paterno was aware of the incident but would have no comment.
Quarless, 6-5, 260, is expected to be a key contributor in the PSU passing game this fall after he made a strong impact during the second half of 2006.
Quarless finished with 21 catches for 288 yards and caught a touchdown pass from quarterback Anthony Morelli in the Lions' 20-10 Outback Bowl win over Tennessee last January.
The Lions open their season Sept. 1 against Florida International at Beaver Stadium. Kickoff is at noon.
PSU defensive coordinator Tom Bradley, who also appeared on Thursday night's call-in show, said Florida International presents a unique challenge for his unit.
FIU finished 0-12 in 2006 and is under the direction of first-year coach Mario Cristobal, who is installing a new offense.
"The only thing we can go by is to know personnel," Bradley said when asked about Florida International.
He added: "We've gotta be just about ready for everything."

Coker returns to field after addressing team

By BRYAN MULLEN
Staff Writer

<!--ARTICLE BODY TEXT-->
KNOXVILLE — Tennessee running back LaMarcus Coker returned to the practice field Saturday for the Vols' kicking scrimmage and worked as a scout-team member.
The former Antioch standout was reinstated to the program Friday after being indefinitely suspended Aug. 7 for undisclosed medical reasons.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=305 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
advertisement_300.gif
</TD><TD width=10 rowSpan=3>
1pix.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> OAS_AD('300x250_1'); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1><!--var TFSMFlash_VERSION=6;var TFSMFlash_WMODE="transparent";var TFSMFlash_OASCLICK="http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/news.tennessean.com/sports/ut/index.html/1603498007/300x250_1/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/vandy-070107-island-sportsstory3.html/63653066343930383436376265336330";var TFSMFlash_SWFCLICKVARIABLE="?clickTAG=http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/news.tennessean.com/sports/ut/index.html/1603498007/300x250_1/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/vandy-070107-island-sportsstory3.html/63653066343930383436376265336330?_Query_";var TFSMFlash_SWFFILE="http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/tennessean-nnight.swf"+TFSMFlash_SWFCLICKVARIABLE;var TFSMFlash_IMAGEALTERNATE="http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/";var TFSMFlash_OASALTTEXT="Click Here";var TFSMFlash_OASTARGET="_blank";var TFSMFlash_OASPROTOCOL="http://";var TFSMFlash_OASDIM="WIDTH='300' HEIGHT='250'";var TFSMFlash_OASADID="ad_banner";document.write('<scr'+'ipt src="http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/TFSMFlashWrapper201.js"></scr'+'ipt>');--></SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/TFSMFlashWrapper201.js"></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next MM_FlashCanPlay = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & MM_contentVersion)))</SCRIPT><OBJECT id=ad_banner codeBase=http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=250 width=300 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<EMBED src="http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/tennessean-nnight.swf?clickTAG=http://gcirm.tennessean.gcion.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/news.tennessean.com/sports/ut/index.html/1603498007/300x250_1/OasDefault/vandy-080107-island-sportsstory/vandy-070107-island-sportsstory3.html/63653066343930383436376265336330?_Query_" quality=high wmode=transparent swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH='300' HEIGHT='250' NAME="ad_banner" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED></OBJECT></CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>
1pix.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>Coker, the Vols' leading rusher from last year, spoke to the team before the scrimmage.
"He did a real good job," Coach Phillip Fulmer said. "He not only apologized for his distraction, but also warned the guys to make sure that they're communicating with their coaches if they have needs, and to express those needs. If they can't do it that way, then to seek counsel and advice through our university or someone, to do the right things.
"This is it. We're kind of drawing the line in the sand now."
The sophomore will not make the trip to the Vols' opener Saturday at Cal, but Fulmer said Coker could be ready to play against visiting Southern Miss the following week.

"It's official. Quarterback Blake Mitchell won't be eligible to play for South Carolina when the Gamecocks face Louisiana-Lafayette in the 2007 season opener Saturday night at Williams-Brice Stadium.

USC Athletics Director Eric Hyman has upheld Mitchell's one-game suspension imposed Thursday for missing too many classes during the second session of summer school, sources close to the USC football team told Gamecock Central Sunday night.

Mitchell, a fifth-year senior and a history major, appealed the suspension on grounds he had dropped the English class. If he had won the appeal, Mitchell would have started against Louisiana-Lafayette, head coach Steve Spurrier said Thursday.

"If he is out, Chris Smelley will start the (opener)," Spurrier said at the time. "If Blake is in, Blake will start the game. That's about as simple as I can say it."

Mitchell, along with reserve running back Bobby Wallace and cornerback Chris Hail, was suspended in accordance with athletic department policy relating to classroom attendance.

Those three players, along with several others, were also suspended from the first two practices of fall camp on Aug. 4-5.

In another matter, USC confirmed in the same statement released late Sunday night that sophomore strong safety Emanuel Cook underwent an appendectomy "over the weekend." The hospital where the procedure was performed was not identified in the release.

Cook is expected to be sidelined two to four weeks.

Cook missed three games last season after suffering a left knee sprain in last September's victory over Wofford. He finished tied for third on the team with 47 tackles and earned Freshman All-SEC honors.

Cook was arrested Thursday night outside the East Quad dorm along with another man on a charge of unlawfully possessing a pistol. Cooks spent the night at the Richland County jail before being released Friday afternoon on a $2,000 personal recognizance bond.

In accordance with the school's zero tolerance policy towards possessing guns on campus, Cook was summarily suspended from the university on Friday.

As a result, he is not allowed to attend classes or live in student housing. Cook had been scheduled to attend a hearing with university officials Tuesday to possibly resolve his matter but the status of that hearing was not known late Sunday night.

Spurrier told the media Saturday that he had spoken with Cook to get the sophomore's version of what happened and that he "believe(d) his story."

"Hopefully, everyone that's involved in this decision will be listening and will believe his story also," Spurrier said. "Hopefully, it's all true. I think it is."

Somebody's been reading thewizardofodds.com.

I was about to post these but thought we'd already covered them. In any case, good addition.

Somebody's been reading thewizardofodds.com.

I was about to post these but thought we'd already covered them. In any case, good addition.

lol, just rivals insider. I posted above about Cook having surgery but there was no article released so I figured I would add the article when it came out.

Which Oregon State kid? Strougher?

If he is questionable it is only because he showed up to practice recently, but did not practice.

He is still officially on leave from the team.

RJ, I was under the impression he did practice but you are right, he is still on leave..

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Sammie Stroughter surprised his Oregon State teammates by showing up at practice Saturday, four days after it was announced he would take a leave of absence from the team.
The senior wide receiver was in pads and joined his teammates in drills at the Beavers' afternoon practice.
He had announced Wednesday in a statement released by the university that he was dealing with grief after the deaths of two family members and longtime Beavers assistant Jim Gilstrap.
Stroughter, a third-team All-America selection last year, had last attended practice on Aug. 7.
Oregon State coach Mike Riley said Stroughter's full return to the team was still undetermined and that he was just "testing the water."
"It was Sammie's choice today," Riley said in a statement released by the school. "He just showed up, got his gear on and came out. That's really what happened. There is no real word about it. He came out and practiced and is just having fun. "
"We visited this morning; we talked about a longer-range plan, but really it will end up being a personal choice for Sammie," he said. "The statement that he made was pretty clear that it was a personal choice."
The Beavers open their season Thursday night at home against Utah.
Stroughter caught 79 passes for 1,293 yards last season. He scored eight touchdowns, three of them on punt returns.

ECU starting QB - DWI

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=topstory style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; TEXT-ALIGN: left">ECU Quarterback Arrested On DWI</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 4px; PADDING-LEFT: 4px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; PADDING-TOP: 4px; TEXT-ALIGN: right" vAlign=top noWrap width=220><!-- startclickprintexclude -->Save Email Print <!-- endclickprintexclude --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" width="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px; TEXT-ALIGN: left">Posted: 12:42 PM Aug 27, 2007
Last Updated: 2:25 PM Aug 27, 2007
<!-- startclickprintexclude -->2 comments
<!-- endclickprintexclude --></TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px; TEXT-ALIGN: center" vAlign=center>
kass+mug+200x120.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right"><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 3px; PADDING-LEFT: 3px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">
A | A | A
<!--numParagraphs : 10 -->East Carolina's sophomore quarterback is facing a drunk driving arrest. Rob Kass was arrested in Pitt County on a charge of driving while impaired. The state court web site says Kass' court date is November 13th.
Court records say Kass was arrested by Greenville police Saturday morning at 2:55 am. Those same records say he blew a .19, while .08 is considered impaired in North Carolina.
<SCRIPT language=Javascript type=text/javascript>if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('<table style=\"float : right;\" border=\"0\"><tbody><tr><td align=\"center\" valign=\"bottom\">');if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']){ document.write(plpm['Mid-Story Ad']);} else { if(self['plurp'] && plurp['97']){} else {document.write('<scr'+'ipt language="Javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://cas.clickability.com/cas/cas.js?r='+Math.random()+'&p=97&c=6500&m=1947&d=71957&pre=%3Ctable+style%3D%22float+%3A+right%3B%22+border%3D%220%22%3E%3Ctbody%3E%3Ctr%3E%3Ctd+align%3D%22center%22+valign%3D%22bottom%22%3E&post=%3C%2Ftd%3E%3C%2Ftr%3E%3C%2Ftbody%3E%3C%2Ftable%3E"></scr'+'ipt>'); } }if (self['plpm'] && plpm['Mid-Story Ad']) document.write('</td></tr></tbody></table>');</SCRIPT>Kass is just 20 years old and if convicted faces loss of his driver's license for one year because he is underage.
Today, Coach Skip Holtz says he's not commenting yet about this weekend's arrest. It's not clear at this point what impact Kass' arrest will have with his status on the team.
Kass was expected to make his first start as a Pirate this Saturday against Virginia Tech. Kass went to high school in Longwood Florida but has ties to the state. His father played quarterback for Wake Forest before transferring to another school.
Holtz recruited the 20 year-old signal caller and Kass grew into the back-up roll last year. He set career highs in passing yards and completions in the final game of the 2006 season..
Kass spent the majority of spring and summer practices as the starting quarterback. Kass's likely backup is Sophomore Brett Clay.
He's not the first ECU player to have problems with alcohol under the Coach Holtz era.
In August 2005 Jamar Flournoy, ECU's third-leading tackler was suspended for a year for violating team rules. That stemmed from an alcohol related ticket. Flournoy was charged after police say he stepped out of a bar with an open container of alcohol.
Stay with WITN and witntv.com for more on this developing story.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Keith Brown & Prince Hall Suspended
By outsidethesidelines Section: Football
Posted on Mon Aug 27, 2007 at 01:29:02 PM EDT
</I>

According to Coach Saban in his press conference today, wide receiver Keith Brown and linebacker Prince Hall have been suspended for one game, presumably for the game against Western Carolina, for violating team rules.
Oddly enough, we had been talking here at RBR about how McCoy had seemingly passed Brown on the non-existent depth chart, and how that Rolando McClain might take Prince Hall's starting job, and not Darren Mustin's.
I suppose that Brown and Hall's off-field problems may have had a bit to do with that. No word on the possible suspensions of Upchurch, Fanney, Deaderick, and Castille.

Wisconsin could have trouble at its defensive ends....

Jamal Cooper has been kicked off the team, and Kurt Ware has a knee injury that has him questionable for the opener, from the reports I've heard from that area. Confirmation (FONDY???) would be nice...

Wisconsin could have trouble at its defensive ends....

Jamal Cooper has been kicked off the team, and Kurt Ware has a knee injury that has him questionable for the opener, from the reports I've heard from that area. Confirmation (FONDY???) would be nice...

That's a good catch. But Fondy may be too busy getting his butt kicked by his torts professor to confirm.

Riley not expecting Stroughter to play this season, but ...

By Joe Schad
Special to ESPN.com
(Archive)

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: August 27, 2007, 1:54 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->Although Oregon State wide receiver Sammie Stroughter recently practiced, coach Mike Riley said Monday at his weekly news conference that he still does not anticipate Stroughter playing games this season.
Stroughter, who led the Pac-10 in receiving last year and returned three punts for touchdowns, also attended a meeting and walkthrough on Sunday. This, after he took an indefinite leave of absence from the team after the death of two family members and a former coach.
"I'm not anticipating him playing in games this year," Riley said Monday. "But I've been surprised already. It won't happen for sure for Utah."
The Beavers open against Utah this week.
"I wouldn't read too much into it as far as playing," Riley said of Strougther's surprise appearance recently. "I'm not. He came out and had fun the other day. This is all on his time and it will be his time and his family's decision. There are no parameters on his return. Now I didn't think he'd be out there catching punts the other day. He just got dressed. Went down and caught some punts."

Anderson could miss Gators' opener

Posted: Monday August 27, 2007 6:13PM; Updated: Monday August 27, 2007 6:13PM

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- No. 6 Florida could be without starting cornerback Markihe Anderson in Saturday's season opener against Western Kentucky.
Anderson, a sophomore poised to help replace cornerbacks Ryan Smith and Reggie Lewis from last year's national championship team, sprained the medial collateral ligament in his right knee Saturday.
Gators coach Urban Meyer said there was still a chance Anderson would play against the Hilltoppers. Meyer said he would know by Wednesday.
"We're still hopeful he's going to be ready," Meyer said, adding that Anderson definitely would return for the Sept. 8 game against Troy.
If Anderson does not play in the opener, Meyer said sophomore Wondy Pierre-Louis would take his spot opposite freshman Joe Haden.

Kentucky DT suspended for opener

Posted: Monday August 27, 2007 6:36PM; Updated: Monday August 27, 2007 6:36PM

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- University of Kentucky junior defensive tackle Myron Pryor was suspended for Saturday's season-opener against Eastern Kentucky for a violation of team rules, head coach Rich Brooks announced Monday.
"That thins us at a position where we don't have a lot of experience going into this game," Brooks said. "It hurts anytime a player does something that violates the team disciplinary code."
Brooks said Pryor's suspension makes him even more relieved that Kentucky's season opener is against Eastern Kentucky instead of in-state rival Louisville.
"There's over a six-month period from the end of last season to the start to this season," Brooks said. "That's maybe just one more reason I'm glad that we're not opening with our normal opener, when you lose a player with the significance of Myron Pryor."
Brooks said redshirt freshman Ricky Lumpkin will start at tackle alongside sophomore Corey Peters. Freshman Shane McCord will join Ventrell Jenkins in the rotation at tackle.
"Shane McCord is clearly in the rotation," Brooks said. "He will play this year and as the season goes along, he could be a significant contributor in the defensive interior."
Brooks also expressed displeasure with left guard Christian Johnson, who started 12 games last season but has been dropped to second string on the depth chart for Saturday's game.
"In some cases, he's regressed a little bit," Brooks said. "I wish I could answer it. Christian has a lot of ability. I am one of his biggest proponents of getting him to play to his capability, and at this point I have failed to do that. That's my responsibility, and I'm not getting the message across, and I'm not doing it very well."
Wide receiver Keenan Burton said Johnson needs to perform well for the offensive line to play at a high level.
"Christian Johnson could be and is the best offensive lineman that we have," Burton said. "But until he steps up and shows that, Coach is going to keep constantly saying what he has to say and doing what he has to do so he can understand it. He thinks the world of him, and he understands that we need him. But Christian has to understand he has to do some things that we need him to do so that he can be a big factor."

Son of a bitch!!! I was this close to taking VT! Dammit! Is that guy worth a point or should I just get off the game altogether?

If I could get VT at -24, I'd take it. Otherwise, I'd lay off the game.

Remember VT is in a look ahead too with LSU coming.

Look ahead my ass.

Any other team in the world, I'd agree with you. But the eyes of the entire country (mine from down here included) will be in Blacksburg Saturday at noon... And don't think any book is stupid enough to make the first half line low - there will be no value there; you just have to hope VT is good enough to keep pouring it on with vanilla 2nd half plays....

The University of South Carolina worked out for nearly two hours on Monday night as they began their final week of preparation for the season opener against Louisiana-Lafayette, scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 1. The practice saw the return of middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley, who has been sidelined for several days with a sprained ankle. "Jasper was running around pretty well tonight," said Head Coach Steve Spurrier. "So he is expected to be full go by Saturday night."
Coach Spurrier mentioned that safety Emanuel Cook has a university hearing scheduled for Tuesday. "Hopefully it will be productive," said the Head Ball Coach. Coach Spurrier also indicated that he expects Cook to be sidelined for "one to two weeks" after undergoing an appendectomy over the weekend "if he's eligible," he added.
Coach Spurrier was asked about Blake Mitchell's suspension for violating an athletics department policy, which was upheld by Athletics Director Eric Hyman on Sunday. "That's university policy and I'm for class attendance. Whatever the policy is, you have to enforce it or you don't have a policy."
Coach Spurrier noted he was pleased with where the team is at this point of the season. "We're very healthy for this time of the year," said Coach Spurrier. "Nobody had a serious injury during pre-season. Joe Hills was the worst, but he was out here running around tonight also. He's missed so much, I don't know if he'll be ready to play or not. We're still looking for somebody else besides Kenny (McKinley) to jump in there and make a bunch of catches. I don't know who it's going to be yet, but hopefully one will show up Saturday night."

It reminds me a lot of the VT-KSU game last year, where I thought for sure they would blank their shitty little opponent w/o their Qb (last year Edelman, this year Kass) and cover the number just by being better and too athletic.

Last year against Kent they did get the shutout but they just didn't put enough points on the board.

USC starting tailback Washington likely out for opener

Posted: Monday August 27, 2007 11:25PM; Updated: Monday August 27, 2007 11:25PM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California coach Pete Carroll all but ruled starting tailback Chauncey Washington and backup quarterback Mark Sanchez out of Saturday night's opener against Idaho.
Washington, a fifth-year senior who led the top-ranked Trojans in rushing last year with 744 yards on 157 carries, has a sprained right shoulder, and Sanchez has a cracked bone in his throwing thumb.
"Chauncey's not ready to go yet. It's not likely he'll be ready to go this week," Carroll said after practice Monday. "We'll take the next week to get him right and look forward to the following game."
After facing Idaho, the Trojans have a week off before playing at No. 20 Nebraska on Sept. 15.
Carroll said Sanchez probably could play Saturday night if necessary, but it's unlikely the third-year junior will be needed since the Trojans don't figure to have any problems against the outmanned Vandals, who are 45-point underdogs.
Washington and Sanchez were both injured in scrimmages at the Los Angeles Coliseum -- Washington last Wednesday night, and Sanchez on Aug. 12.
Carroll said highly regarded freshman tailback Joe McKnight, sidelined for 10 days because of a stretched knee ligament, returned to practice Monday.
"He's getting close. We'll see how that goes the next couple of days," Carroll said.
Sophomores C.J. Gable, Allen Bradford and Stafon Johnson and freshmen McKnight and Broderick Green are all expected to play at tailback against Idaho.
All-American offensive tackle Sam Baker, slowed by a cracked rib, also practiced Monday and will likely play in Saturday night's game at the Coliseum, where a crowd of about 90,000 is expected.

Utah RB Mack to sit out this season

Posted: Monday August 27, 2007 11:32PM; Updated: Monday August 27, 2007 11:32PM

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Utah plans to redshirt junior running back Darrell Mack, a move that would leave him with two more seasons of eligibility, coach Kyle Whittingham said Monday.
Mack was a reserve in 2005 and 2006, playing in 17 games with 82 carries for 320 yards and one touchdown.
The Utes have senior Darryl Poston, who has been playing college football since 2001 but has missed parts of several seasons with injuries. The NCAA granted him a final year of eligibility.
Utah also has junior-college transfer Matt Asiata, and Whittingham plans to play freshman Eddie Wide.
"Darrell had a redshirt year still available and it made no sense to burn all of our running backs' eligibility all at once," Whittingham said. "It spaces our running backs out a bit."
The Utes open the season Thursday at Oregon State.

Back