The "OFFICIAL" thread for injuries, suspensions, etc., since spring...

Ernest Mitchell suspended for Kentucky game

Jump to Comments Mitchell took an Alabama defender’s helmet and swung it at his head. He was called for a personal foul and ejected from the game.
Houston Nutt:
“I have suspended Ernest Mitchell for the Kentucky game for his inappropriate conduct in Saturday’s game,” Nutt said. “I visited with Commissioner Slive this morning and told him that while the NCAA policy only mandates the suspension of the player for a half in the following game, I felt that a full-game suspension was appropriate in this circumstance.”

Gators CB Anderson re-injures knee

Posted: Monday September 17, 2007 8:00PM; Updated: Monday September 17, 2007 8:00PM

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- No. 3 Florida probably will be without cornerback Markihe Anderson at Mississippi on Saturday.
Anderson re-injured his right knee in the Gators' 59-20 victory against Tennessee. Anderson missed the opener and played sparingly in the second game with a sprained medial collateral ligament. He injured his posterior cruciate ligament early against the Volunteers and did not return.
"That's a rare injury, but you can play with it," coach Urban Meyer said Monday, adding that Anderson probably won't play in Florida's first road game.
Guard Maurkice Pouncey and receiver Riley Cooper also sustained injuries against Tennessee. Pouncey sprained his right ankle and Cooper sprained his left ankle. Both sat out practice Monday and were listed as day-to-day.
Defensive tackle Brandon Antwine missed the game with a hyper-extended elbow, but should be fine this week.
Meyer also said receiver Andre Caldwell (knee) and safety Bryan Thomas (knee) would not play at Ole Miss, but could return the following week against Auburn.

Rutgers' Young to miss rest of season

Posted: Monday September 17, 2007 7:56PM; Updated: Monday September 17, 2007 7:56PM

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- Rutgers backup running back Kordell Young will miss the remainder of the season after injuring his left knee in Saturday's 59-0 win over Norfolk State, the Rutgers athletic department announced Monday.
Young will undergo surgery Tuesday, the school said.
Young, a sophomore from West Deptford, was second on the depth chart at running back behind Ray Rice and rushed for 58 yards on 18 carries this season. He also averaged 32 yards on three kickoff returns.
No. 11 Rutgers has an open date this weekend and returns to action against Maryland on Sept. 29.

Nathan Pepper for South Carolina = Done for year

Brandon Issac = out vs. LSU, could be back for Miss ST

Notes: Touchdown ends Pepper’s year

Defensive tackle faces surgery for ACL tear in left knee; Isaac expects to miss LSU game

By JOSEPH PERSON
jperson@thestate.com
For the second consecutive year, South Carolina’s Nathan Pepper went from living out a defensive lineman’s dream to waking up to a nightmare.
The defensive end from Greenville will undergo season-ending surgery after tearing a ligament in his left knee during Saturday’s win against S.C. State, Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said Monday. Pepper sustained the freak injury after reaching the end zone following his 19-yard interception return for a touchdown in the first quarter.
“Hopefully, it will teach all of our guys a lesson. He just made some kind of little, funny move, I guess in a celebration-type way,” Spurrier said. “It wasn’t much. But it was enough to tear his knee ligament.”
Spurrier tried to teach Pepper a lesson last year when Pepper slowed up near the end zone during an interception runback at Clemson. After Pepper was caught from behind and fumbled into the end zone, Spurrier suspended for the first quarter of the Liberty Bowl.
USC will apply for a medical redshirt for Pepper, who would have two years of eligibility remaining.
Injury report. Starting cornerback Brandon Isaac is doubtful for Saturday’s game at No. 2 LSU after re-injuring his surgically repaired right shoulder. Spurrier said the medical staff placed Isaac’s shoulder back in its socket; the senior will try to play with a harness next week. ...
Gurminder Thind, who started at left guard against the Bulldogs, also is doubtful with a sprained left ankle. Thind was on crutches with his foot in a protective boot Monday. ...
Quarterback Chris Smelley (shoulder) and receiver Chris Culliver (ankle) returned to practice.
Mother knows best. Receiver Kenny McKinley received the skinny on Tiger Stadium from his mother, Karen, a LSU graduate who told her son to expect a “crazy” atmosphere.
“She just said it’s probably the loudest place we’ll ever be in,” McKinley said. “She said it’s a real fun place to play in, I guess when you’re the home team, and not too fun when you’re the away team.
“So I told her, ‘We’re going to get them this year.’ She can’t wait. She can’t wait to brag to all the homegirls.”
McKinley said his father grew up in Baton Rouge and graduated from Southern, the Baton Rouge school where McKinley’s sister attends. McKinley, who attended a basketball camp at LSU, expects about 50 friends and family members at the game.
Cook in court. Safety Emanuel Cook, arrested last month on a gun charge, appeared at a scheduling hearing Monday at the Richland County courthouse. Fifth Circuit assistant solicitor Dolly Garfield said Cook is due back in court Jan. 24 on the felony charge, which carries up to five years in prison.
Cook was suspended from the university following his arrest, and reinstated less than a week later. He has played in the last two games after missing the opener following an appendectomy.
Extra points. Reserve cornerback Chris Hail is working with the scout team after recently arguing with an assistant coach and walking off the practice field, according to Spurrier. Hail, suspended for the opener for excessive summer school absences, could re-join the varsity if “he keeps his act together,” Spurrier said. ...
The USC-Mississippi State game Sept. 29 will kick off at 12:30 p.m. and be broadcast by Lincoln Financial Sports, the SEC announced. ...
Guard James Thompson, suspended for the first three games for an undisclosed violation of university policy, will not start but could play against LSU, Spurrier said.

Stanford LB Campbell will retire after neck surgery

Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2007 8:17PM; Updated: Tuesday September 18, 2007 9:22PM
STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- Stanford linebacker Fred Campbell will stop playing football after undergoing surgery to repair a fractured vertebrae in his neck.
Campbell, the Cardinal's starting middle linebacker, was injured in the Stanford's game Saturday against San Jose State. He underwent the operation Monday at Stanford Hospital.
"I know how much of a disappointment this is for Fred," coach Jim Harbaugh said. "But we're very proud of him and what he has accomplished and what he has meant to our team. We're relieved that his neurological health will be normal and that he will have a full and complete recovery."
"Fred is a warrior," Harbaugh said, "and he will always be a part of our team."
Campbell redshirted in 2005 before playing nine games last season.

Purdue tailback Taylor out 6 weeks with broken arm

Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2007 7:46PM; Updated: Tuesday September 18, 2007 7:46PM
<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad width="100%">
T1_0918_taylor.jpg

Purdue's Jaycen Taylor had arm surgery this week and had plates inserted there, as well.
AP

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad>
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (AP) -- Purdue running back Jaycen Taylor could return from a broken arm in six weeks.
Coach Joe Tiller originally thought Taylor might be out for the season after the junior was injured Saturday in a victory over Central Michigan.
"He possibly could come back and play," Tiller said Tuesday during his weekly teleconference. "Whether or not that comes to fruition, of course, remains to be seen."
Taylor left Saturday's game for good after a 5-yard run late in the first quarter, and later found out he broke both bones in his lower arm. He had surgery on Monday, and plates were put on both bones.
"To me, any break is not a good deal, but apparently, this was the best we could have hoped for, and that Jaycen could have hoped for, coming out of this," Tiller said.
Taylor won the starting job in the spring and had rushed for 197 yards on 28 carries this season.
"I'm concerned quite a bit about the running back position," Tiller said. "I think the loss of Taylor was pretty big."
Kory Sheets, who ran for a career-high 144 yards against Central Michigan, but fumbled twice, will move up the depth chart for Saturday's game against Minnesota.
Dan Dierking, whose father, Scott, ran for 2,863 yards for Purdue from 1973-76, will be the No. 2 running back.

Olson doesn’t practice

32651728.jpg
Gina Ferazzi / LAT
Quarterback Ben Olson might not play for the Bruins this Saturday.

[COLOR=#333333! important]Dorrell says quarterback is suffering from headaches, and it isn’t clear if he will play this week.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#999999! important]By Chris Foster, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
9:27 PM PDT, September 18, 2007 [/COLOR]
UCLA's problems got a little worse Tuesday, as quarterback Ben Olson did not practice because of "headaches," Coach Karl Dorrell said.

Patrick Cowan was in charge of the first-team offense in his first full practice since returning from a partially torn hamstring. Whether Olson would be ready in time for Saturday's game against Washington is unclear. Olson was not allowed to speak with the media Tuesday and Dorrell was vague about the injury. Olson was battered repeatedly in Saturday's 44-6 loss to Utah.

"Ben has a headache and he's had this headache since Saturday night," Dorrell said.

Asked the headaches were from a concussion, Dorrell said, "That's not what I anticipate it being. But we just want to be smart because we had a rash of concussions lately."

On Sunday, Dorrell said Olson was OK and he did not include him in his injury report during a Monday news conference.

Last week, Dorrell said that linebacker Aaron Whittington was suffering from "nausea," then admitted Sunday that Whittington had suffered a concussion for the second consecutive week in the Utah game.

Olson missed the last eight games of the season in 2007 because of a knee injury. Cowan took over the team and led the Bruins to victories in the last three regular-season games, including USC.

Cowan said little about his chances of starting, other than "I'm preparing to play if needed."

Olson would have to practice by Thursday in order to play, Dorrell said.

"[Ben] feels better today and the doctors wanted him to stay out one more day," Dorrell said. "He feels good, but we'll see how he feels tomorrow."

The Bruins already will be without five starters: wide receiver Marcus Everett (ankle), guard Shannon Tevaga (knee), defensive tackle Brigham Harwell, defensive end Nikola Dragovic and Whittington. Fullback Michael Pitre has yet to play this season, meaning the Bruins could go into Saturday's game without seven of their 20 returning starters from last season.

Troy reinstates suspended Mainor

Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2007 10:44PM; Updated: Wednesday September 19, 2007 10:44PM

TROY, Ala. (AP) -- Troy defensive end Kenny Mainor has been reinstated for Saturday's Sun Belt Conference opener against Louisiana-Monroe following a two-game suspension, coach Larry Blakeney said Wednesday.
Mainor was suspended after his arrest for marijuana possession. He was cleared to return to school and the team on a probationary status by the University Disciplinary Committee.
Mainor, a junior from Brunswick, Ga., has started since his redshirt freshman year when he replaced NFL first-round draft pick Demarcus Ware. He had two tackles in the Trojans' opener at No. 18 Arkansas.
Mainor led the team with 6.5 sacks as a sophomore.

The Injury Clinic - The Harris Injury
By Paragon SC Section: The Injury Clinic
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 12:38:06 PM EDT
</I>

Cary Harris' dislocated shoulder is a more significant injury than Chauncey Washington's AC Joint separation.
A shoulder dislocation is often confused with a shoulder separation, but these are two very different injuries! It is important to distinguish between these two problems because the issues with management, treatment, and rehabilitation are different. A shoulder dislocation injury affects the capsule that surrounds the actual glenohumeral joint, as explained below.
The capsule that surrounds the shoulder joint is a very strong ligament that helps to keep the shoulder in the joint and functioning normally. In most people it is very difficult to tear the ligaments of the capsule or pull the shoulder out of joint. These injuries usually occur only when a lot of force has been applied to the shoulder or the arm - like in a football game. If the shoulder slips partially out of joint, this is called "subluxation". A dislocated shoulder occurs when the shoulder comes completely out of joint.
A simple definition of the shoulder joint is an inverted golf ball on the tee. More below:
Anatomy of the Injury
shoulderanatomy.jpg

<CENTER>The Shoulder
Photo Credit: Image and Text from About.com</CENTER>
The shoulder joint is made of three bones which come together at one place. The arm bone or humerus, the shoulder blade or scapula, and the collarbone or clavicle all meet up at the top of the shoulder. A shoulder separation occurs when there is an injury to the joint between the scapula and clavicle--this is called an acromioclavicular or an A-C separation, as discussed here. A shoulder dislocation occurs when there is an injury to the joint between the humerus and scapula. The joint between the humerus and scapula, also called the glenohumeral joint, is a ball-and-socket joint- the ball is on the top of the humerus, and this fits into a socket of the shoulder blade called the glenoid. This joint is incredible because it allows us to move our shoulder though an amazing arc of motion- no joint in the body allows more motion than the glenohumeral joint. Unfortunately, by allowing this wide range of motion, the shoulder is not as stable as other joints. Because of this, shoulder dislocations are not uncommon injuries.

Symptoms
Patients with a shoulder dislocation are usually in significant pain. They know something is wrong, but may not know they have sustained a shoulder dislocation. Symptoms of shoulder dislocation include:
  • Shoulder pain
  • Arm held at the side, usually slightly away from the body with the forearm turned outward
  • Loss of the normal rounded contour of the deltoid muscle
Diagnosis and Treatment

Diagnosis
proc_img_shoulder03.jpg

<CENTER>The Dislocated Shoulder
Photo Credit: C. Thomas Vangsness, Jr., MD </CENTER>
The diagnosis of a dislocated shoulder is made by the combination of the history of injury, signs and symptoms on physical exam, and by x-rays that show that the humeral head is out of the socket. The diagnosis of subluxation is made the same way, but the humeral head will still be in the socket because it has not completely dislocated. Occasionally, an MRI is used to look at these injured soft tissues.
After the shoulder has been put back in the socket, the severe pain will stop almost immediately. The structures such as the labrum, bone, nerves, or ligaments were injured must be evaluated. The treatment that follows depends on what structures were injured, how many dislocations you have had, how unstable the shoulder is and how much pain you have. Immobilizization of the shoulder in a sling or sling and side pillow is done for a few weeks while the injury heals.
TREATMENT
Conservative nonoperative treatment including physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder (rotator cuff) is best after the first dislocation. If you have had multiple dislocations or subluxations, surgery is suggested to repair or tighten the capsule and ligaments that hold the shoulder in place. If the labrum has been injured, it will need to be trimmed or sutured. The surgery is usually done arthoscopically, which is less invasive and offers quicker return to full activity. The surgery is performed with an arthroscope and small instruments introduced into the shoulder joint through hollow cannulas. Miniature anchors or screws with suture attached are inserted precisely into the socket edge of the shoulder, and the torn ligaments and labrum are reattached to the socket. Complete healing from this procedure takes approximately 4-6 months.
The older a patient is at the time of dislocation the lower the chances are for developing recurrent dislocations. Patients over 35-40 can tear the rotator cuff with a dislocation. Patients under the age of 25 with traumatic dislocations have a substantially higher rate of recurrence (greater than 80-90%). From C. Thomas Vangsness, Jr., MD
Chief, Sports Medicine Service, LAC/USC Medical Center
Team Physician, USC Department of Athletics

X-ray images of the shoulder
_BLOB_221.JPG

The normal, anatomic shoulder - after being relocated or popped back into place
_BLOB_220.JPG

The dislocated shoulder

Injury Report - WSU
By Paragon SC Section: Football
Posted on Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 09:46:58 AM EDT
</I>

Harris Dislocates Shoulder, Cushing Re-injures Ankle
When I saw Cary Harris go down I initially thought it was dislocated Elbow. The way Harris' arm was locked in with WSU receiver Brandon Gibson and the way he landed looked like either a hyper-extension or dislocation. Neither is good. When I saw the injury at anther angle that when I saw it was his shoulder. Harris is going to out for while if not the season.
USC's injury-depleted secondary suffered another blow Saturday when junior cornerback Cary Harris dislocated his right shoulder during the Trojans' 47-14 Pacific 10 Conference victory over Washington State at the Coliseum. Harris was hurt with 5 minutes 11 seconds left in the quarter while defending a pass in the end zone that was intended for Brandon Gibson. He left the game and did not return.

I am already working on an Injury Clinic post looking at the Dislocated Shoulder that should be up tomorrow.
Cushing on the other hand may have re-aggravated his earlier Ankle injury.
Cushing Hurt Again
Linebacker Brian Cushing reinjured his sprained ankle when he heard a pop during the game. He said he heard the same pop during Tuesday's practice.
He is going to get an MRI to see if his ankle is OK but does not know if he will play against Washington. "I hope so,'' he said. "It's tough to say right now.''

Sooner or later he needed to get in the game but should it have been this game with things so well in hand. We will have more on this later.

Going back to Cali? | by Pat

Tight end Konrad Reuland has withdrawn from school and will transfer.
“Basically, it came down to the fact I wasn’t happy with where I was,” the 6-foot-6, 255-pound sophomore from Mission Viejo, Calif., told the Tribune via cell phone Monday. “It was combination of things, not just football, not just the school. I wanted badly to be happy again, and felt this move was the best thing for me.

“I realize Notre Dame is a very special place. I wouldn’t have picked it from all the schools in the country if it wasn’t. But it didn’t work out for me on a personal level. I felt the change was the best.​
Reuland's transfer makes some sense from his point of view. He came into ND as the 3rd ranked tight end and 81st player overall in the class of 2006, according to Rivals. Yet as a freshman he was already behind fellow classmate Will Yeatman on the depth chart. He was looking to get more playing time this year, but was bumped back to 4th string after being surpassed by freshman Mike Ragone. It was Ragone, and not Reuland, who took the field with Carlson and Yeatman as part of a three tight end set when Travis Thomas finally punched in ND's first offensive TD of the year on Saturday.

Besides contending with Yeatman and Ragone for playing time, Reuland likely looked at the incoming class as potential competition as well. Kyle Rudolph, currently the 25th overall player in the class of 2008, and 6'8 Joseph Fauria are both coming in as tight ends. All in all, this was a smart move for Reuland who hopes to latch on somewhere with more opportunities for playing time.

After the soap opera that was the Demetrius Jones transfer, Reuland went about making sure his departure wouldn't involve nearly as much drama.
“This wasn’t an impulsive decision,” he said. “I actually finally made up my mind that I was leaving last Wednesday. I just wanted to make sure I took the right steps to make this as positive a move for everyone involved. I didn’t want to be a distraction for myself, my teammates and the coaching staff. I want the best for them too.”​
He met with Charlie on Sunday after playing in the Michigan State game -- he was the fourth of a four tight end package that ND ran on Robert Hughes's touchdown run -- to discuss his intentions.
“After meeting with Konrad Reuland on Sunday, he has decided he will leave the team and withdraw from Notre Dame,” Weis said Monday in a statement. “I appreciate all Konrad has done for Notre Dame, and I wish him nothing but the best.​
As for the somewhat curious decision to leave the program four games into the season, it appears that by leaving now he may be able to salvage a year of eligibility.
The 6-foot-6 Reuland played in seven games last season, and played in three of Notre Dame's four games this season. Ralf Reuland said his son would still have three years of eligibility left.​
The reason he'd be eligible for three more years is that the NCAA looks at the academic calendar, not the sporting one. If a player can enroll in a new program by the 12th day of class, that semester will count towards their transfer penalty, making them eligible the following season. Still, it doesn't appear that Reuland's path has been set yet.

Former Mission Viejo High tight end Konrad Reuland was given his release to transfer from Notre Dame, and one of the schools with high interest is UCLA, according to sources.
Reuland's father, Ralf, was asked if the interest was mutual.
"Oh, yeah. That was one of the top schools for him before he decided on Notre Dame," Ralf Reuland said. "(Notre Dame) just wasn't a good fit for him. Konrad really wasn't happy. It's more than just football. The losing had nothing to do with it."
The preliminary plan for Reuland, who is a sophomore, is to attend a junior college for a year, earn his associate's degree, and then enroll in a four-year school.
However, a move to UCLA this fall is not impossible. UCLA does not begin classes until Thursday, and a player has until the 12th day of the quarter to enroll. It is unlikely Notre Dame would release Reuland to UCLA before the Oct. 6 matchup with the Irish, but he could be released after the game. That would still give him time to enroll at UCLA.
Update: A bit of clarification on the eligibility issues mentioned above. Reuland can only play football for two more years. He does not have three years like his dad claims. Once you play in a game, baring a medical exemption, a player has effectively used up one year of academic eligibility. Since Reuland has played in games both this year and last, he has used up two years of eligibility and can only play for two more.

However, the transfer rules regarding the 12th day of classes still apply with regards to the one year in-residence transfer penalty. If Reuland enrolls before the 12th day of class, he will be eligible to play in 2008 and will have three years -- since he still has a redshirt year option -- in order to play two. If he does not enroll by the cutoff, he will be forced to sit out the 2008 season, and in effect burn his redshirt year, and then can play in 2009 and 2010. Check SavageDragon's post on ndnation for more information.

Scholarship-wise, there have been a few changes since we last took a look at the numbers for ND, so here's another quick breakdown of where the Irish stand at the conclusion of this season.
Potential 5th year candidates: 7
Seniors: 15
Juniors: 26
Sophomores: 18
Add those numbers up and you get 66 scholarships currently in use. This includes senior-to-be Thomas Bemenderfer and junior-to-be Eric Maust. Bemenderfer was awarded a scholarship prior to the start of the season and once he started playing, Eric Maust's scholarship should transfer from a baseball one to a football one per NCAA rules.

With the 85 scholarship restriction the upper limit, the Fighting Irish have 19 available scholarships to give out in the current recruiting cycle, assuming all potential 5th year players will be back in 2008. As it turns out, Notre Dame currently has 19 verbally committed recruits, meaning that all 85 scholarships are spoken for, to some degree. Of course, not all seven 5th year candidates will be back next year. I don't think it's particularly fair at this point to guess who will or won't be back, but it's safe to assume that not all of them will return. Therefore, baring any more attrition, for each 5th year player that does not return, Notre Dame has room for another freshman, up to the 25 scholarship limit for the freshman class. In other words, expect ND to pick up a few more recruits this year and wind up with 20 to 25 new freshman for 2008.

Blake to take medical leave of absence

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: September 25, 2007, 3:57 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->FORT WORTH, Texas -- TCU defensive end Tommy Blake will miss at least the next two games on medical leave, the second time this season he's been sidelined for undisclosed reasons.
Coach Gary Patterson, who made the announcement Tuesday, and other school officials wouldn't elaborate. That was also the case when Blake left campus in mid-August and went home for personal reasons, missing five practices and a scrimmage.
Patterson said Blake, who also missed the season opener, won't play Saturday for TCU (2-2) against Colorado State or Oct. 6 at Wyoming. Patterson said his status will be re-evaluated after those games.
Blake, a two-time All-Mountain West Conference selection who came into the season as a top NFL prospect, has 11 tackles and a sack in his three games. He was the MWC leader with seven sacks and 16½ tackles for losses last season.
After missing the season-opening 27-0 victory over Baylor, Blake started against Texas and Air Force before coming off the bench Saturday against SMU. He missed practice Thursday.

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 4.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 4.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 4.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Iowa Hawkeyes: Kirk Ferentz Press Conference Notes 9/25[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'](just injuries below)[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-RIGHT: 4.5pt; BORDER-TOP: #e0dfe3; PADDING-LEFT: 4.5pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e0dfe3; PADDING-TOP: 4.5pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e0dfe3; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=bottom noWrap 1??>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']<HR style="COLOR: #cccccc" align=center width="100%" noShade SIZE=2>[/FONT]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']-On the injury front, Coach Ferentz said Andy Brodell is done for the season with a torn hamstring. Tony Moeaki is out at a few weeks with a dislocated elbow and broken bone in his hand. The elbow is the most significant thing and it could be something like 2-4 weeks Ferentz said. A couple weeks is probably optimistic.

-Asked about medical redshirts for Brodell and Moeaki, Ferentz said he didn't think so on Brodell because he already redshirted as a freshman and sixth year is probably unlikely. With Moeaki, he would have a chance since he never redshirted, but they are hoping to get him back in 2-4 weeks.

-Ferentz said Julian Vandervelde has a chance this week, but he's not very optimistic. Trey Stross is back practicing, so now they need to see if he can make it through the whole week. KF said he is optimistic there. Austin Signor will do some individual work this week and has a chance also.

-Asked about Klinkenborg and Moylan, Ferentz said they expect them to bounce back. The team had a couple concussions on Saturday and so far, all but one guy has passed the first hurdle in coming back.

[/FONT]

let me try that again...

Iowa Hawkeyes 9/25: Ferentz Press Conf (edited for just injuries)

- On the injury front, Coach Ferentz said Andy Brodell is done for the season with a torn hamstring. Tony Moeaki is out at a few weeks with a dislocated elbow and broken bone in his hand. The elbow is the most significant thing and it could be something like 2-4 weeks Ferentz said. A couple weeks is probably optimistic.

-Asked about medical redshirts for Brodell and Moeaki, Ferentz said he didn't think so on Brodell because he already redshirted as a freshman and sixth year is probably unlikely. With Moeaki, he would have a chance since he never redshirted, but they are hoping to get him back in 2-4 weeks.

-Ferentz said Julian Vandervelde has a chance this week, but he's not very optimistic. Trey Stross is back practicing, so now they need to see if he can make it through the whole week. KF said he is optimistic there. Austin Signor will do some individual work this week and has a chance also.

-Asked about Klinkenborg and Moylan, Ferentz said they expect them to bounce back. The team had a couple concussions on Saturday and so far, all but one guy has passed the first hurdle in coming back.

Sooners DE to miss rest of season

Williams had surgery to repair torn Achilles' tendon

Posted: Tuesday September 25, 2007 5:54PM; Updated: Tuesday September 25, 2007 5:54PM

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Oklahoma defensive end John Williams had surgery Tuesday to repair a torn Achilles' tendon and will miss the rest of the season.
"It all went as expected," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. "The doctors were pleased and had nothing that was surprising. It all went the way it was supposed to."
Williams started three of No. 3 Oklahoma's first four games and had recorded one sack and four tackles for a loss before he was injured in the third quarter of last Friday's game at Tulsa. He also suffered a season-ending injury in 2005, when he tore a knee ligament in the opening game against TCU.
"It's just unfortunate. He was playing so well here," Stoops said.
Stoops said it was "just too soon to know" whether Williams, who is scheduled to graduate in December, will seek a sixth year of eligibility.
Alonzo Dotson, who started against Miami, is expected to fill Williams' defensive end position opposite Auston English on Saturday at Colorado.
"We've got other guys that are used to playing," Stoops said. "Alonzo Dotson and Auston English have been playing great. Alan Davis, Jeremy Beal, those guys have got to step up and take over in those spots, and they're more than capable."
Stoops said Chris Brown, who's been splitting time at tailback with Allen Patrick and DeMarco Murray, was able to go through conditioning and could return against the Buffaloes after smacking the back of his head on the turf against Tulsa.
"We expect him to be able to play. I'm not saying he is yet. That's something they'll check by the end of the week," Stoops said. "... There aren't any lingering signs that there's anything going on there."

Iowa's Brodell likely done for season

TE Moeaki could miss month with dislocated elbow

Posted: Tuesday September 25, 2007 5:47PM; Updated: Tuesday September 25, 2007 5:47PM

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa wide receiver Andy Brodell is likely to miss the rest of the season after tearing his hamstring during Saturday's loss to Wisconsin.
Coach Kirk Ferentz said Tuesday that Brodell will be out.
Brodell, Iowa's primary wideout and punt returner, ranked second on the team with 13 catches and was averaging 14.4 yards a return.
Iowa (2-2, 0-1 Big Ten) will also be without junior tight end Tony Moeaki for Saturday's game against Indiana (3-1, 0-1).
Moeaki, the team leader with 14 receptions, could miss up to a month after dislocating his elbow and breaking a bone in his hand on the same play against Wisconsin.

Via a Ball St. blog....

Ball State Player Injured

Ball State running back MiQuale Lewis, who injured his knee late in the Cardinals' loss at Nebraska, will be out indefinitely.

The sophomore from Fort Wayne had a career-high 167 yards rushing at Navy a week earlier and had 122 yards before he was hurt in the fourth quarter of Saturday's 41-40 loss to the No. 25 Huskers.

The extent of the injury wasn't immediately known, although coach Brady Hoke said Monday it could keep Lewis out the rest of the season.

"They have to still do an MRI so I don't want to be too specific because I really don't know what the status of his injury is at this time," Hoke said.

The Post's Josh Katzowitz on UC Bearcats sports

Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Demetrius Jones could transfer to UC

So, I noticed this tall dude at practice today, hanging around and watching UC go through its drills. He had a conversation with Brian Kelly and then with running backs coach Ernest Jones. Unfortunately I didn't realize who it was until after practice was over - former Notre Dame QB Demetrius Jones.

In case you don't know the Jones backstory from the past few weeks, here's a little bit of a synopsis. Originally, UC coaches, like most of the rest of the country, thought Jones had enrolled at Northern Illinois, and true, Jones might have gone to classes for a day or two. But now, he's opening up his options. One of which is UC.

"We had a good conversation," BK said. "We talked about the situation here and what we think our strengths are. He's in that evaluation process now. He's looking at his options. We're one of a few of the options he has. He thinks highly enough of us to drive five hours to come up and visit."

BK has some history with Jones - when BK was at Central Michigan, he recruited Jones out of Morgan Park High School in Chicago.

This year, Jones is a sophomore and will continue to have three years of eligibility at his new school as long as he enrolls in that school before the 12th day of class. Since UC is on the quarter system and started classes Wednesday, Sept. 19, he'd be in good shape. Ohio State and Northwestern also have been mentioned as possible destinations. Both also are on the quarter system.

So, where does BK see Jones fitting in?

"More competition," BK said. "The most competitive situation is the best situation for me. It's wherever we can create more competition."

UPDATE (10:15 p.m.): Have heard rumblings that Jones might have already decided to transfer. I finally got him on the phone and I asked him if he had made his transfer to UC official.

"No, I didn't," he said. "But you can talk to coach Kelly about it."

Well, I tried calling BK again and left a message. Haven't heard anything back.

Also, asked Jones if he enjoyed watching UC practice.

"It was nice," he said. "That's all I can say."

One Notre Dame media outlet I talked to said Jones shoots straight from the hip and that if he had made his final decision, he probably would have told me. 'Course, Jones doesn't know me from anybody, so maybe he decided not to tell me. The person also said he/she's hearing that UC coaches wouldn't be surprised to land Jones.

Sooners' DE Williams has surgery, out for season

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>
Associated Press

NORMAN, Okla. Oklahoma defensive end John Williams had surgery Tuesday to repair a torn Achilles tendon and will miss the rest of the season.

"It all went as expected," Sooners coach Bob Stoops said. "The doctors were pleased and had nothing that was surprising. It all went the way it was supposed to."

Williams started three of No. 3 Oklahoma's first four games and had recorded one sack and four tackles for a loss before he was injured in the third quarter of last Friday's game at Tulsa. He also suffered a season-ending injury in 2005, when he tore a knee ligament in the opening game against TCU.

"It's just unfortunate. He was playing so well here," Stoops said.

Stoops said it was "just too soon to know" whether Williams, who is scheduled to graduate in December, will seek a sixth year of eligibility.

Alonzo Dotson, who started against Miami, is expected to fill Williams' defensive end position opposite Auston English on Saturday at Colorado.

"We've got other guys that are used to playing," Stoops said. "Alonzo Dotson and Auston English have been playing great. Alan Davis, Jeremy Beal, those guys have got to step up and take over in those spots, and they're more than capable."

Stoops said Chris Brown, who's been splitting time at tailback with Allen Patrick and DeMarco Murray, was able to go through conditioning and could return against the Buffaloes after smacking the back of his head on the turf against Tulsa.

"We expect him to be able to play. I'm not saying he is yet. That's something they'll check by the end of the week," Stoops said. "... There aren't any lingering signs that there's anything going on there."

Cardinals linebacker dismissed after marijuana arrest

Posted: Thursday September 27, 2007 5:31PM; Updated: Thursday September 27, 2007 7:22PM
<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad width="100%">
p1_williams-ap.jpg

Willie Williams played in three games for the Cardinals (2-2) this season, collecting nine tackles.
AP

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="CLEAR: both" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnimgadpad>
advertisement_down.gif
<NOSCRIPT>
</NOSCRIPT>
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=10>
1.gif
</TD><TD class=cnnstoryclpad></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Louisville linebacker Willie A. Williams was kicked off the team Thursday, less than 24 hours after his arrest on a marijuana possession charge.
The 22-year-old was dismissed for violating his agreement with athletic director Tom Jurich.
"I'm very disappointed in Willie," Jurich said in a statement. "I was confident that he had turned the corner in his life and was ready to be a valuable contributor to society and our football program."
Williams was one of the top recruits in the country two years ago, but highly publicized legal problems in high school -- 11 arrests -- nearly cost him a scholarship to Miami. He never panned out with the Hurricanes and spent last year at West Los Angeles Community College.
Wednesday night, Louisville police arrested the 6-3, 230-pound Williams after he was stopped for driving a car with the music playing too loudly, said Louisville police spokesman Phil Russell.
A detective searched the car and found Williams trying to hide a small amount of marijuana, Russell said.
"He basically had the marijuana in his mouth," said Russell, who would not release the identities of the others in the car because they were not arrested.
Williams, also charged with tampering with physical evidence and driving without an operator's license, was released on his own recognizance Wednesday night.
Louisville spokesman Rocco Gasparro said Williams hired local attorney Grant Helman to represent him. A phone call to Helman's office Thursday evening by The Associated Press was not immediately returned.
He was accepted at Louisville after meeting extensively with Jurich and coach Steve Kragthorpe. He played in three games for the Cardinals (2-2) this season, collecting nine tackles.
Louisville, which began the season ranked in the Top 10 but has lost two straight, plays at North Carolina State on Saturday.

UGA's Brown out four-to-six weeks

Posted: Monday October 8, 2007 12:07AM; Updated: Monday October 8, 2007 12:07AM

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- Georgia running back Thomas Brown will miss 4-6 weeks because of a broken collarbone, coach Mark Richt said on Sunday.
Richt wasn't sure whether Brown broke the collarbone in Saturday's 35-14 loss at Tennessee or the previous week in a victory over Mississippi.
"He might have played a week with it," Richt said. "He is just that tough. He would go anyway."
Knowshon Moreno, the team's leading rusher with 77 yards per game, and Kregg Lumpkin are expected to take up the slack on offense.
"They are both going to play an awful lot," Richt said. "I think the play will be close to 50-50. It will be very similar to the carries Thomas and Knowshon were going."
Brown, a senior, is 301 yards away from being among the top five rushers in school h history. He has 2,280 career yards.
"It is a shame," Richt said. "He is probably the toughest guy on our football team."

Hokies' Hall to have wrist surgery

Posted: Monday October 8, 2007 12:07AM; Updated: Monday October 8, 2007 12:07AM

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- Virginia Tech linebacker Vince Hall was to undergo surgery for a broken left wrist Sunday and is expected to miss four to six weeks.
Athletic trainer Mike Goforth says surgeons at Montgomery Regional Hospital were to insert a plate into Hall's wrist to help stabilize it.
The leading tackler was injured in Tech's 41-23 win over Clemson on Saturday when he collided with fellow linebacker Xavier Adibi. He led the Hokies with 11 tackles.
Hall is fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference in tackles per game and has 61 this year.
His replacement in the staring lineup has not been announced.

Wisconsin WR Swan out for season

Posted: Monday October 8, 2007 4:48PM; Updated: Monday October 8, 2007 4:48PM

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin wide receiver Luke Swan will miss the rest of the season because of a torn hamstring and is scheduled for surgery Wednesday.
The fifth-year senior had two touchdowns this season for the No. 19 Badgers and was averaging 18 yards a catch. He was hurt near the end of Saturday's game against Illinois, landing awkwardly following a 17-yard reception.
Swan's loss is a blow to the Badgers (5-1, 2-1 Big Ten) following the team's first defeat of the season against Illinois. Freshman punt returner David Gilreath is expected to replace Swan at wide receiver.
"Luke is a great kid," coach Bret Bielema said Monday. "It was a hard day yesterday. It is tough for everybody."
In six games this season, Swan had 25 catches for 451 yards and was the Badgers' top receiver. His 170 yards receiving against Washington State was 11th best in school history. Swan joined the team as a walk-on in 2003.

Sweed lost for year

Monday, October 8, 2007, 05:00 PM
Texas receiver Limas Sweed will undergo season-ending surgery to tighten ligaments in his left wrist.
Sweed sprained his wrist in preseason drills. He aggravated it late against Oklahoma, which was the reason he was not on the field for the final two offensive series in the 28-21 loss to the Sooners.
In addition, defensive end Aaron Lewis fractured his elbow against the Sooners and is out indefinitely. Fullback Luke Tiemann also will undergo wrist surgery, but is expected to miss only two games.

UNR: Graziano goes under the knife
Dan Hinxman (DHINXMAN@RGJ.COM)
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
October 8, 2007

Nevada quarterback Nick Graziano underwent surgery on his right foot Monday, and head coach Chris Ault said he would not be able to return to practice until next spring at the earliest.
“He’s getting operated on as we speak,” Ault said around noon Monday at the Quarterback’s Club luncheon at the Peppermill Hotel-Casino. “He’ll be in a boot for six weeks and out of commission for about four months.

“He blew up the tendon on the top of his foot. It was a freak deal. You could see his foot twist as he went down, and the kid just fell on it. It wasn’t a bad shot or anything, just one of those freak deals. It’s a shame, there’s no question about it. He’s such a great kid, whether he’s playing or not, he’s just a great young man to have around.”

Graziano, a sophomore who redshirted in 2005, was injured when he tried to scramble in the second quarter of the Wolf Pack’s 49-41 loss to Fresno State on Saturday at Mackay Stadium. Bulldogs Tyler Clutts and Jon Monga sacked him for a three-yard loss, and Graziano got up gingerly and jogged off the field with a noticeable limp.

Redshirt freshman Colin Kaepernick replaced Graziano and played superbly, completing 23-of-36 passes for 384 yards and four touchdowns. He also rushed 12 times for 60 yards and another score.

“The thing I appreciated about (Kaepernick), you know, that’s a tough situation to go into,” Ault said, referring to the Pack trailing, 14-6, when Kaepernick took over. “When Graz went down, I said, ‘Do you see what we’re trying to do now?,’ and he said, ‘Yeah, Coach, I understand.’ (I said) ‘Here’s your checks and here’s your audibles.’
“I’ve got to tell you this, the last kid that I had that did that was Chris Vargas.”

Vargas, a quarterback at Nevada from 1990-93 who ranks fourth all-time in passing yards and fifth in passing touchdowns, is considered to have gotten the most out of his ability because of his cerebral approach.

“Not only did this guy play outstanding — his stats were phenomenal — but he really checked us into some great plays,” Ault said. “The show is his, and we’re not backing off, we’re not changing the offense. We are going to throw the football.”

Kaepernick finished with 444 yards of total offense. Coincidentally, the record for a freshman was set by Nevada’s David Neill, 582, in 1998. The Pack ran up 702 total yards of offense. The record is 1,021, set by Houston in 1989. The record for most yards gained by a losing team is 791, set by Nevada in a 64-45 loss to San Jose State in 2001.

Ault said true freshman Luke Collis would move to second-team quarterback.
“(Collis) is very similar to both these guys,” Ault said, comparing him with Kaepernick and Graziano. “He’s a strong football player, strong arm, commanding presence. We wanted to redshirt him, but I told him the other day, ‘It may be all over now. I may have to pop that bubble, and you might have to be ready to go.’”

Dogs RB Brown out with broken collarbone
Moreno, Lumpkin could share duties 'close to 50-50'

By CARTER STRICKLAND
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/08/07
Athens — Adding injury to insult, Georgia has now lost senior running back Thomas Brown for four to six weeks due to a broken collarbone.
It is believed Brown injured the collarbone in a 35-14 loss to Tennessee Saturday. But Georgia coach Mark Richt couldn't be 100 percent certain that Brown didn't suffer the injury the previous week against Ole Miss and played through the pain.
"He might have played a week with it," Richt said. "I don't even know if it happened last week. He is just that tough. He would go anyway.
"But we can't take that risk," Richt said. "He will lead and guys will step up their play."
The two guys who must now step up are Knowshon Moreno and Kregg Lumpkin. Moreno, who leads Georgia in rushing with 77 yards per game, had been splitting time with Brown since the second game of the season. Meanwhile, Lumpkin had been out with a thumb injury that required surgery. He returned to the running back rotation against Tennessee, but was still used sparingly because of a splint on his thumb.
"When he did get a chance to carry the ball he seemed to be very confident and seemed to have a little bit of juice in his legs too," Richt said.
Now Lumpkin could once again become an integral part of the offense.
"They are both going to play an awful lot," Richt said. "I think the play will be close to 50-50. It will be very similar to the carries Thomas and Knowshon were getting."
Brown had 76 attempts to Moreno's 91. But Moreno had played the equivalent of one game more than Brown because of Brown's injuries.
The starter has yet to be decided and may depend on how they practice this week, Richt said.
But the loss of Brown goes way beyond just the backfield experience and depth. He was the gunner on the punt team and the return specialist on kickoffs. "When you consider he is return man and a gunner, those two things take a lot of energy," Richt said. "I see him out there and he will be huffing and puffing and you know he is tired but he gives maximum effort all the time. We need more guys like Thomas."
Sophomore cornerback Asher Allen is the most likely replacement on kickoff returns. He has one return for 27 yards this season. Last season Allen replaced Brown and averaged 22.1 yards per return.
This season Brown also led the team with eight touchdowns. And, to top it off, Brown was the emotional leader of the offense. As for who will step up now?
"That is one only those guys will be able to answer," Richt said. "We (the coaches) are going to have to fuel the fire ourselves."
Brown, who rushed for 68.8 yards per game, could make it back in time for the Auburn game Nov. 10. But he also might not be back until the season ender at Georgia Tech.
Brown missed the second half of last season after tearing his ACL on a kickoff return against Vanderbilt. He worked in the offseason and by August was ready to fully participate in camp. Brown's effort in camp earned him the starting spot.
Brown is 301 yards away from being among the top five rushers of all-time for Georgia. He currently has 2,280 career yards. Kevin McLee had 2,581 yards from 1975-77.
"It is a shame," Richt said. "He is probably the toughest guy on our football team."

Saturday CFB Injury Update

Here you go fellas.

Purdue
Date Pos Player Injury Status
10/10 4:04am LB Josh Ferguson Shoulder injured last game, upgraded to probable.
10/08 3:21am DE Cliff Avril Knee injured last game, "?".
Michigan
10/13 4:05am OG Alex Mitchell Knee missed last game, downgraded to doubtful.
10/09 5:46am DL Will Johnson Undisclosed upgraded to probable.
10/07 6:03am LB Chris Graham Back missed last game, probable.
10/07 6:02am LB John Thompson Ankle missed last game, probable.
10/06 3:16pm OG Jeremy Ciulla Leg missed last game, "?".
10/02 8:21am TE Mike Massey Knee expected to miss the rest of the season

Rutgers
10/11 4:24am OT Pedro Sosa Knee upgraded to probable.
10/10 4:39am QB Mike Teel Thumb is probable.
Teel practiced Tuesday without any apparent restrictions.
10/08 3:32am DL Eric Foster Undisclosed injured last game, is "?".
10/06 8:06pm DB Ron Girault Ankle missed last game, "?".
Syracuse
None

Eastern Michigan
None
Ohio
10/09 6:01am OL Tommy Stuck Shoulder is doubtful.
10/09 5:59am WR Matt Donahue Hand upgraded to probable.

Minnesota U
10/13 4:29am RB Amir Pinnix Toe downgraded to doubtful.
10/10 5:12am LB Mike Sherels Hamstring is "?".
10/08 3:51am RB Duane Bennett Foot injured last game, probable.
Northwestern
10/09 6:12am RB Tyrell Sutton Ankle downgraded to doubtful.

KENT -
(10/10 08:07am) HC Martin has said he will use Saturday's game to rest some of his
regulars and prepare for the second half of the MAC season.

Important Injuries
Kent
10/08 4:03am SS Fritz Jacques Knee expected to miss 2-4 weeks.
Ohio State
10/11 5:01am DE Vernon Gholston Ankle limited last game, upgraded to available to play.
10/10 5:44am RB Chris Wells Ankle is probable.
10/08 6:09am DT Todd Denlinger Leg missed last game, "?".

South Carolina
10/12 4:41am CB Carlos Thomas Arm downgraded to expected to miss.
10/09 6:48am WR Freddie Brown Ankle upgraded to probable.
10/08 4:13am C William Brown Knee upgraded to probable.
10/08 4:13am LB Gerrod Sinclair Leg downgraded to expected to miss two weeks.
North Carolina
10/11 8:04am C Scott Lenahan Calf missed last game, "?".
10/07 7:38am WR Brooks Foster Quad missed last game, "?".

Georgia Tech
10/09 7:02am OT Jacob Lonowski Shoulder downgraded to expected to miss.
10/08 4:22am OG Nate McManus Knee downgraded to expected to miss.
10/08 4:22am WR James Johnson Shoulder downgraded to expected to miss.
Miami Florida
10/13 5:27am WR Lance Leggett Leg is "?".
10/11 5:50am OL Derrick Morse Virus is "?".
10/11 5:47am LB Colin McCarthy Concussion injured last game, downgraded to expected to miss.
10/08 4:35am DT Antonio Dixon Leg expected to miss 4 weeks.

Virginia Tech
10/11 6:01am RB Branden Ore Ankle is probable.
10/11 5:56am LB Brett Warren Hamstring is probable but may be limited.
10/09 7:14am OT Ed Wang Ankle upgraded to probable.
10/08 3:48am LB Vince Hall Wrist is out 4-6 weeks.
Duke
10/10 7:28am DE Ryan Radloff Back is doubtful.
10/09 7:18am DE Patrick Bailey Knee is expected to miss the rest of the season.

Louisville
10/13 6:10am DE Rodney Gnat Undisclosed is "?".
10/13 6:06am DT Adrian Grady Undisclosed is "?".
10/13 2:20am WR Mario Urrutia Toe missed last game, "?".
10/09 7:25am WR Harry Douglas Ankle upgraded to probable.
Cincinnati U
None

Alabama
10/12 5:36am OG Justin Britt Personal downgraded to expected to miss.
10/11 6:20am DE Bobby Greenwood Ankle missed last game, upgraded to available to play.
10/11 6:20am DB Ali Sharrief Neck upgraded to available to play.
10/10 7:49am LB Keith Saunders Knee upgraded to probable.
Mississippi
10/13 6:24am WR Michael Hicks Ankle injured last game, upgraded to probable.
10/13 6:18am S Jamarca Sanford Stinger injured last game, downgraded to doubtful.

Georgia
10/12 5:48am LB Brandon Miller Calf downgraded to expected to miss.
10/11 6:35am WR Kris Durham Shoulder left last game, upgraded to probable.
10/11 6:33am OG Scott Haverkamp Ankle missed last game, upgraded to probable.
10/11 6:31am LB Rennie Curran Concussion is "?".
10/11 6:28am WR/PR Mikey Henderson Hamstring is doubtful.
10/08 5:09am RB Thomas Brown Collarbone expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
10/05 7:58am LB Marcus Washington Ankle is expected to miss at least 2 weeks.
Vanderbilt
10/08 5:15am LB Brandon Bryant Ankle injured last game, "?".

Toledo
10/13 6:44am QB D.J. Lenehan None is expected to start.
UT will be counting on true freshman D.J. Lenehan at quarterback for the second straight week.
10/13 6:42am QB Aaron Opelt Leg downgraded to expected to miss.
10/10 8:50am WR Nick Moore Hand is "?".
10/09 8:13am LB Keith Forestal Undisclosed missed last game, upgraded to probable.
Buffalo U
10/11 6:44am LB Jerry Housey Concussion is "?".
10/10 8:41am CB Kendric Hawkins Knee missed last game, downgraded to expected to miss.

Baylor
10/13 6:55am OT Jordan Hearvey Undisclosed missed last game, upgraded to probable.
10/13 6:50am OT Jason Smith Knee downgraded to expected to miss.
10/11 6:48am CB Josh Bell Virus is "?".
Kansas
None

New Mexico
10/11 6:59am LB Brett Madsen Shoulder injured in practice, "?".
10/10 9:24am CB DeAndre Wright Shoulder upgraded to probable.
09/29 9:22pm CB Glover Quinn Blood Clot missed last game, "?".
Wyoming
10/12 6:22am S Quincy Rogers Stinger upgraded to probable.

Tennessee U
10/12 6:25am DE Andre Mathis Shoulder downgraded to expected to miss.
10/12 6:24am OG Anthony Parker Head injured in practice, upgraded to probable.
10/11 7:15am CB Brent Vinson Shoulder injured last game, probable.
10/11 7:13am OT Eric Young Head injured in practice, "?".
Mississippi St
10/12 6:19am QB Wesley Carroll None is expected to start.
10/09 8:30am LB Dominic Douglas Foot upgraded to probable.

Bowling Green
10/06 3:11pm DT Nick Davis Knee missed last game, "?".
Miami Ohio
10/10 9:51am QB Daniel Raudabaugh None is expected to start.
10/10 9:51am QB Mike Kokal Knee injured last game, downgraded to expected to miss.
10/10 9:50am WR Dustin Woods Shoulder injured last game, downgraded to expected to miss.
10/10 9:49am DT Ben Huddle Knee injured last game, downgraded to expected to miss.

San Diego State
10/11 8:03am RB Brandon Bornes Back is "?".
10/10 10:00am LB Brett Martin Knee downgraded to expected to miss.
10/10 10:00am WR Chazeray Schilens Foot downgraded to expected to miss.
10/09 9:10am FB Lynell Hamilton Rotator Cuff upgraded to probable.
10/09 9:06am QB Kevin O'Connell Shoulder is probable, but may be limited.
Utah
10/08 6:09am LB Kyle Brady Achilles expected to miss rest of season.

Army
10/12 5:39am QB Carson Williams Concussion left last game, upgraded to expected to start.
Williams will make his fifth consecutive start tomorrow, HC Brock said last night. But, Brock said senior Kevin Dunn, last Saturday's hero in a 20-17 overtime win over Tulane, will see time under center.
Central Michigan
10/12 5:31am RB Ontario Sneed Ankle is "?".
Sneed is questionable for Saturday's game, HC Jones said. Sneed suffered a bone bruise on his ankle in CMU's win over Northern Illinois and didn't play last week at Ball State.
10/12 5:29am FS Calvin Hissong Shoulder is expected to miss.

Rice
10/07 5:32am LB Brian Raines Knee injured last game, "?".
10/03 8:31pm RB C.J. Ugokwe Knee missed last game, "?".
Houston U
10/10 10:19am PK Ben Bell Liver is out indefinitely.
10/07 5:35am QB Blake Joseph Undisclosed injured last game, "?".

Washington State
10/12 10:55am WR Brandon Gibson Heel upgraded to "?".
If Gibson is slowed or sidelined because of his bruised heel, fleet freshman wideout Jeshua Anderson must fill the void.
10/12 10:52am LB Kendrick Dunn Hamstring upgraded to probable.
10/11 2:37am SS Alfonso Jackson Concussion missed last game, upgraded to probable.
10/11 2:32am WR Charles Dillon Shoulder injured last game, upgraded to probable.
Oregon
10/13 2:32am RB Jonathan Stewart Thumb injured last game, upgraded to probable.
10/07 5:44am LB A.J. Tuitele Foot expected to miss 6-8 weeks.

Wisconsin
10/11 8:31am RB P.J. Hill Hamstring is probable, may be limited.
10/08 11:55am WR Luke Swan Hamstring out for the season.
10/08 6:34am TE Andy Crooks Hamstring upgraded to probable.
10/07 5:52am LB Elijah Hodge Knee upgraded to probable.
Penn State
10/11 8:43am LB Dan Connor Knee is probable, may be limited.
10/06 10:56am RB Austin Scott Disciplinary is out indefinitely.

Oklahoma State
10/11 8:52am CB Martel Van Zant Toe missed last game, upgraded to available to play.
10/08 11:21am OB Zac Robinson Concussion upgraded to probable.
10/07 6:02am LB Chris Collins Toe missed last game, "?".
Nebraska
10/13 6:35am DL Ndamukong Suh Disciplinary is "?".
10/13 6:34am DL Ty Steinkuhler Knee upgraded to probable.

Texas
10/09 5:45am DE Aaron Lewis Arm is out indefinitely.
10/08 3:51pm WR Limas Sweed Wrist out for the season.
Iowa State
None

Illinois
10/10 10:42am WR Arrelious Benn Shoulder upgraded to probable.
Iowa
10/10 10:45am OT Dace Richardson Knee downgraded to expected to miss the rest of the season.
10/09 5:57am CB Devan Moylan Concussion downgraded to doubtful.
10/09 5:57am LB Mike Klinkenborg Concussion downgraded to doubtful.

Boston College
10/12 6:31am DT Damik Scafe Hamstring downgraded to expected to miss.
10/09 6:06am DT Brady Smith Ankle upgraded to probable.
Notre Dame
10/13 7:07am WR David Grimes Ankle downgraded to "?".
10/13 7:03am OG Matt Carufel Personal is expected to miss.

Western Michigan
None
No Illinois
10/13 2:49am WR Britt Davis Hamstring missed last game, upgraded to available to play but not expected to start.
10/12 11:51pm QB Dan Nicholson Ankle downgraded to doubtful.
Northern Illinois coach Joe Novak won't make a decision on his starting quarterback until kickoff.
10/10 4:02am WR Greg Turner Finger missed last game, upgraded to probable.
09/13 7:01am LB Tim McCarthy ACL is out for the season.

TCU
10/13 7:15am C Blake Schlueter Concussion upgraded to probable.
10/12 6:59am DE Tommy Blake Illness downgraded to expected to miss.
10/10 10:22am TE Shae Raegan Leg is expected to miss at least 2 weeks.
Stanford
10/13 7:21am RB Toby Gerhart Knee downgraded to doubtful.
10/11 9:23am DT Ekom Udofia Ankle upgraded to probable.
10/09 6:39am QB T.C. Ostrander Head upgraded to available to play.
10/07 10:49am QB Tavita Pritchard None is expected to start.

Oregon State
10/11 9:01am S Daniel Drayton Groin upgraded to probable.
10/11 3:01am WR Sammie Stroughter Kidney is out for the season.
The All-American for the Oregon State football team will miss the rest of the season and the Beavers will apply to the NCAA for a medical redshirt for the senior so he can play next season.
10/08 3:27am CB Keenan Lewis Knee injured last game, downgraded to expected to miss 2-3 weeks.
California
10/12 7:17am QB Nathan Longshore Ankle is probable, may be limited.
10/11 3:13am WR Lavelle Hawkins Leg injured last game, upgraded to probable.
10/10 10:19am K Tom Schneider Undisclosed is expected to miss.
10/10 10:18am DE Rulon Davis Foot downgraded to expected to miss.
10/09 3:06am LB Zack Follett Neck is expected to be available to play.
10/08 5:44am FB Will Taufoou Knee is "?".

Fresno State
10/10 7:05am DT Jason Shirley Suspension is out indefinitely.
10/07 7:19am LB Quaadir Brown Back injured last game, "?".
10/07 7:19am DE Ikenna Ike Wrist is out for the rest of the season.
10/06 8:14pm WR Marlon Moore Ankle missed last game, "?".
Idaho
10/06 8:23pm OG Marcis Fennell Knee missed last game, "?".
10/05 5:25am QB Nathan Enderle Finger expected to miss 2-3 weeks..
Enderle is out for two to three weeks after undergoing surgery on a finger.

Air Force
10/11 8:37am WR Mark Root Thigh upgraded to probable.
10/10 9:56am DE Jake Paulson Ankle upgraded to probable.
10/10 9:53am TB Kip McCarthy Hip upgraded to probable.
10/10 9:53am RB Chad Smith Ankle downgraded to doubtful.
10/02 11:14am OT Chris Campbell MCL downgraded to expected to miss 3 weeks.
Colorado State
10/11 8:35am SS Mike Pagnotta Ankle downgraded to doubtful.
10/11 8:35am FS Klint Kubiak Internal downgraded to doubtful.

LSU
10/12 8:12am RG Lyle Hitt Undisclosed injured last game, "?".
10/12 8:12am OG Will Arnold Virus downgraded to out indefinitely.
10/12 8:11am WR Early Doucet Groin missed last game, upgraded to probable.
Kentucky
10/12 8:15am RB Rafael Little Groin injured last game, "?".
Brooks said it will be a game-time decision on senior running back Rafael Little (thigh bruise) and junior strongside linebacker Johnny Williams (foot). .
10/07 7:54am LB Johnny Williams Plantar Fasciitis is "?".

Auburn
10/11 8:23am DE Quentin Groves Toe downgraded to expected to miss.
10/11 8:22am LB Tray Blackmon Ankle downgraded to expected to miss.
10/11 8:21am C Jason Bosley Knee downgraded to expected to miss.
10/07 8:05am DB Aairon Savage Knee downgraded to doubtful.
10/06 3:06pm LB Merrill Johnson Shoulder downgraded to doubtful.
Arkansas
10/10 9:50am WR Robert Johnson Ankle upgraded to probable but limited.
10/08 6:38am RB Darren McFadden Ribs left last game, probable.
Tailback Darren McFadden returned to practice with a little extra protection. McFadden, who missed Sunday?s practice to rest bruised ribs, worked out Tuesday with a protective vest.
09/20 8:20am WR Marcus Monk Knee is out indefinitely.

Tulane
None
UAB
10/07 8:21am DB Will Dunbar Knee missed last game, "?".
10/07 8:20am WR Joseph Webb Knee missed last game, "?".
10/07 8:18am OT Adam Truitt Undisclosed missed last game, "?".

Connecticut
10/12 9:06am RB Donald Brown Ankle injured last game, "?".
10/12 9:05am LG Lawrence Green Knee missed last 4 games, "?".
Virginia
10/12 3:09am CB Chris Cook Knee downgraded to doubtful.
10/12 3:08am RB Cedric Peerman Ankle downgraded to doubtful.
10/10 2:10pm WR Maurice Covington Wrist downgraded to expected to miss.
10/07 9:24am LT Eugene Monroe Knee missed last game, "?".

New Mexico State
10/10 4:46am QB Chase Holbrook Ribs downgraded to expected to miss.
Most notably absent from the starting unit is Holbrook, who hurt his ribs two weeks ago against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and has yet to make a full recovery. Holbrook started the Boise game last week but got knocked out of the contest in the first quarter, re-aggravating the injury. HC Mumme announced earlier in the week that Holbrook will not be able to go tonight, replaced by freshman J.J. McDermott.
10/08 3:36am LB Jamar Cotton Ankle injured last game, downgraded to expected to miss.
10/07 7:00pm TE Nick Cleaver Ankle missed last game, "?".
10/07 7:00pm WR A.J. Harris Ankle missed last game, "?".
Louisiana Tech
None

Marshall
None
Tulsa
10/07 10:18am DB Roy Roberts Hamstring missed last game, "?".

Indiana
10/11 7:36am RB Marcus Thigpen Ankle upgraded to probable.
10/11 7:35am C Ben Wyss Undisclosed upgraded to probable.
Michigan State
10/09 8:17am DT Ogemdi Nwagbuo Hand limited last game, upgraded to probable.
10/06 2:59pm CB Ross Weaver Foot missed last game, "?".

Texas A&M
None
Texas Tech
10/10 8:53am WR L.A. Reed Leg is "?".

Missouri
10/12 10:09am RB Tony Temple Ankle injured last game, downgraded to expected to miss.
Oklahoma
10/08 5:18am RB Allen Patrick Cramps left last game, probable.

Colorado
10/12 10:04am KR Chase McBride Shoulder upgraded to "?".
10/11 6:18am LB R.J. Brown Concussion downgraded to expected to miss.
10/11 6:12am WR Stephone Robinson Leg upgraded to probable.
10/08 5:00am WR Tyson DeVree Knee upgraded to probable.
Kansas State
None

SMU
10/12 10:16am DE Patrick Handy Stinger is probable.
10/12 10:15am RB DeMyron Martin Hamstring is probable.
So Mississippi
10/12 10:20am QB Stephen Reaves Oblique is expected to start.
Reaves has looked pain-free during practice, taking his turn in the quarterback rotation and making all the throws asked of him. "It's huge for me," Reaves said, "being able to make all the throws you have to make. I feel like I'll be 100 percent."
10/10 8:40am S LeVance Richmond Shoulder is "?".
10/10 8:39am DT Tokumbo Abanikanda Back is doubtful.
10/09 7:27am DE Robert Henderson Foot is "?".
10/07 8:15am QB Martevious Young Fibula injured last game, expected to miss rest of the season.
10/01 4:10am QB Jeremy Young Ankle expected to miss 2-5 weeks.

Central Florida
None
South Florida
10/11 5:49am RB Mike Ford Disciplinary upgraded to probable.
10/09 6:47am OG Ryan Schmidt Ankle left last game, upgraded to probable.
10/08 4:32am DE George Selvie Arm upgraded to probable

East Carolina
10/13 5:13am QB Rob Kass Personal is expected to start.
10/11 5:42am DT Khalif Mitchell Ankle upgraded to probable.
10/11 5:40am DE Marcus Hands Shoulder downgraded to expected to miss.
10/11 5:39am OT Josh Coffman Shoulder downgraded to expected to miss.
10/09 5:56am LB Quentin Cotton Shoulder is "?".
10/09 5:56am LB Pierre Bell Shoulder is "?".
10/09 5:55am DT Mark Robinson Undisclosed is "?".
UTEP
10/11 5:37am RB Terrell Jackson Undisclosed is "?".
10/11 5:32am CB Tim McCullough Undisclosed is expected to miss.

BYU
None
UNLV
10/13 4:53am OG Mike McKiski Knee is expected to play, but not expected to start.
10/13 4:52am LB Jimmy Miller Knee is "?".

Washington U
10/09 4:53am FS Jason Wells Knee could be out for the rest of the season.
Arizona State
10/12 11:06am TE Brent Miller Knee is out indefinitely.
10/06 9:03pm CB Travis Smith Foot missed last game, "?".

Arizona U
10/02 6:49am FS Dominic Patrick Knee will miss at least 2 weeks.
USC
10/13 4:38am QB John Booty Finger upgraded to available to play if necessary, not expected to start.
Booty suffered a broken finger against Stanford. Booty is available today, but HC Carroll hopes to rest the senior so he can continue to heal.
10/13 4:38am QB Mark Sanchez None is expected to start.
10/13 3:15am RB Stafon Johnson Foot downgraded to expected to miss.
10/13 3:14am C Matt Spanos Hand upgraded to probable, may be limited.
10/13 3:14am OL Chilo Rachal Undisclosed is expected to miss.
10/11 3:42am LB Thomas Williams Ankle upgraded to probable.
10/10 2:19pm LB Luther Brown Shoulder upgraded to probable.
10/03 9:31am C Kris O'Dowd Knee is expected to miss 3-4 weeks.
09/27 10:30am LB Brian Cushing Ankle expected to miss 3-4 weeks.

UL Lafayette
10/11 4:46am S Torres Kingsby Hamstring upgraded to probable.
10/11 4:44am OT Jesse Newman Ankle upgraded to "?".
10/11 4:40am LB Mark Risher Shoulder upgraded to probable.
10/09 4:11am OT Kyle Pirtle Knee is expected to miss the rest of the season.
Arkansas State
10/12 6:53am RB Reggie Arnold Leg upgraded to probable, but limited.

UL Monroe
None
North Texas
10/11 4:34am OL Tyler Bailey Concussion upgraded to probable.
10/10 7:38am RB Jamario Thomas Ankle upgraded to probable.

Middle Tenn St
10/11 4:28am WR Desmond Gee Ankle downgraded to doubtful.
10/10 7:34am LB Andrew Harrington Ankle is doubtful.
10/10 7:33am DL Erik Walden Toe downgraded to doubtful.
10/06 4:25pm QB Joe Craddock Back missed last game, "?".
Memphis
10/09 3:06am LB Greg Jackson Knee is expected to miss.
10/07 5:21am QB Martin Hankins Hip missed last game, "?".

ASU RB Ryan Torain is done for the year with a torn ligament in his foot.

This is a significant injury to the undefeated Sun Devils. Keegan Herring (73 carries, 498 yards, 4 TD's) and Dimitri Nance (37 carries, 201 yards, 2 TD's) will get most of the snaps at RB. Herring is a do everything back, but is small and could get worn down.

Torain is one of the best kept secrets in college football and will force the Sun Devils to pass a little bit more. Short term it may not seem like much of a drop off in production, but with games coming up versus Cal, USC and Oregon, this is a crushing loss.

UCLA QB Pat Cowan suffered a concussion as well as a slightly collapsed right lung vs Arizona.

No official word, but its very doubtful he plays vs. Arizona State. Backup QB Ossaar Rashaan will be the starter if Cowan is out.

Back