The "OFFICIAL" thread for injuries, suspensions, etc., since spring...

From Donnie Webb's Syracuse.com blog....

Ferron quits Orange

Syracuse University head coach Greg Robinson announced today that junior tight end Tom Ferron has decided to quit the team.
Robinson said Ferron informed him two days ago that he no longer wanted to play the sport. He said Ferron and his parents had the same discussion last season, only Ferron decided to stick it out and play.
"A year ago, at this time, Tommy came into my office, the first day of the season last year and wanted to quit," Robinson said. "He was with his mother and stepfather and we sat and talked and talked. Tommy agreed to stay through training camp last year. After about four or five days of training camp, he came to me and just told me, 'don't worry, coach, I'm fine and glad to be back out here.'
"Well, all of a sudden ... you know, here he is again saying, you know, I just don't think I love the game. We talked on the phone. He called and told me he wasn't going to report, that he just didn't want to play.
"I was getting that feeling ... I don't know if I was getting the feeling, I just didn't feel like he was really being involved. He didn't go to summer school. He was going to work. So, I don't know. I wasn't getting great vibes that Tommy was on fire about where he was at. It wasn't a passion for football.
"I appreciate his honesty. He's trying to get his world in order and where he wants to go with things. I wish him the very best."
Robinson said that sophomore defensive end Mike Owen has been moved to tight end. He said freshmen tight ends Nick Provo and Darnell Pratt would get hard looks in preseason camp.
The Orange returns two players with game experience at tight end in Jawad Nesheiwat and Arthur Kapalanga. The unit also includes senior Kyle Bell.
Ferron, a junoir from Clyde, N.Y., led the team with 30 catches last season for 351 yards and two touchdowns. It was the first time a tight end had led the Orange in receptions since 1980 when Tony Sidor did it.

Not sure, but it's a new feature of his site. He's trying to really improve it. He is supposed to include all injuries throughout the year, not just the season ending ones.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/08/07/temple.injured.ap/index.html

Tony Temple Rb Mizzou could be done [Edit: Also injured was CB Hardy Ricks]

Mizzou RB Temple suffers knee injury

Posted: Tuesday August 7, 2007 2:24PM; Updated: Tuesday August 7, 2007 2:25PM

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Tony Temple, Missouri's starting running back last season, was carted off the practice field Tuesday with an apparent right knee injury after colliding with another player.

The injury happened shortly before the morning workout ended. Temple jumped to catch a pass during 11-on-11 drills when he was sandwiched between two defenders.

Temple cried out in pain and did not return after being carted off. Coach Gary Pinkel did not have any immediate information about the injury or whether Temple would be sidelined.

Also injured Tuesday was Hardy Ricks, a sophomore cornerback who started eight games in 2006. Pinkel said he suffered a separated shoulder diving for a pass and will undergo an MRI.

Temple, a 5-9, 200-pound senior from Kansas City, started 12 games last season for the 8-5 Tigers, rushing for 1,063 yards. He ran for 194 yards and two touchdowns in a Sun Bowl loss to Oregon State.

Coker suspended indefinitely for medical condition, later discovered to be a violation of drug policy.

Tennessee running back LaMarcus Coker suspended for mysterious medical condition? Really?

By Joel Section: Tennessee Volunteer Football Players
Posted on Tue Aug 07, 2007 at 07:47:40 PM EDT

</I>

This morning, I linked to an article indicating that Tennessee running back LaMarcus Coker has matured. He'd been cohabitating off an on with Smokey IX since he raced onto campus, most recently just prior to last year's bowl game. That Coker had spent his last days in the doghouse was great news because he certainly added some zip to an often stagnant Tennessee running game.

Well, forget all of that. This afternoon, Fulmer indefinitely suspended Coker. Nobody seems to know the specifics at this point. Fulmer mentioned "a medical condition," but that's not generally a reason to suspend somebody, is it?

Wait a minute. Maybe it's Tourette's, and Coker unleashed an unholy cacophony of curses in coach Fulmer's general direction. Or perhaps Coker suffers from some malady similar to the afflication of the infamous Jumping Frenchmen of Maine, and he responded to Fulmer's directive to "hit somebody" by flinging his helmet at some unsuspecting freshman defensive back.

Seriously, though, what medical condition warrants a suspension? Something's not right here.

Update [2007-8-7 21:45:49 by CornFromAJar]: Chris Low at volquest.com is reporting that Coker's suspension is related to a drug policy violation. Sigh. As for the medical condition, I'm no doctor, but is sounds like a severe case of moron-itis.

More:

Tennessee RB Coker Suspended: Drugs

Posted Aug 7th 2007 11:22PM by Andy Katzer
Filed under: Tennessee Football, SEC
lamarcu-coker-idiot-180.jpg
Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer has suspended running back LaMarcus Coker indefinitely, saying:
"He must fulfill some obligations to the program and to me before he can return," Fulmer read from a prepared statement after practice. "I have tried, as has the administration, to work with him, but at this time he must help himself."​
Volquest.com's Chris Low is reporting that Coker's suspension stems from a violation of the school's drug policy. And it's not the first time this has been a problem for Coker. As a Tennessee fan, allow me to say AARRRRGGGHHHH! whilst banging my head against a wall.

Coker was the Vols' leading rusher last year and one of the most explosive players on the field. He had a couple of touchdown runs of more than 80 yards and was a threat to score any time he had the ball in his hands. His suspension comes days after Fulmer expressed the need for playmakers on this team to be successful in 2007 and after Coker's public pledge to stay out of Fulmer's doghouse, a place he's found himself for much of his short career.

Again, allow me to reiterate: AARRRRGGGHHHH! Thanks.

This may be the same as above. Phil Steele injuries updated July 2007:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=904 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD colSpan=4>Players to Circle in your 2007 College Preview Magazine!
</TD><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD height=24></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=10></TD><TD height=3></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=5 rowSpan=4>NAVYNone
NEBRASKACB Corey Young - Left the team
NEVADANone
NEW MEXICO
DE Luke Higgins - Left the Team
WR Mike Vanderberg - Left the team
Additions: OT Ivan Hernandez

NEW MEXICO STNone
N CAROLINANone
NC STATE
TE Anthony Hill - Out Year
LB Avery Vogt - Transferred
OG Gerard Miller - Transferred
NORTH TEXAS
None
NORTHERN ILLINOIS
None
NORTHWESTERNNoneNOTRE DAME
QB Zach Frazier - Transferring to Conn will sit in '07
OHIO
None
OHIO ST
DB Brandon Underwood - Released from scholarship
DE Walter Dublin -Transferred
DT Juan Garnier - Left Team
DE Ryan Williams - Transferred

OKLAHOMANone
OKLAHOMA STNone
OREGON
Dexter Manley II - Transferring out of school

OREGON ST
P Kyle Loomis - Quit the team
SLB Eric Moala Liaua'a - RS (due to injury)
WR - Reggie Dunn - going to JC
P Jon Strowbridge - Ineligible
WLB Danzel Isaac - Ineligible
CB Coye Francies - Dismissed
PENN ST

S Spencer Ridenhour - will transfer to a IAA school
PITTSBURGH
None
PURDUELT Jason Kacinko - Transferred to Pittsburgh
FS Brandon Blackmon - Transferred
WR Dray Mason - Academically Ineligible

RICE
None
RUTGERS

CB Anthony Miller - Left the Team
SAN DIEGO ST
QB Kevin Craft - Transfer
OG Whitley Fehoko - left team

SAN JOSE STNone
SMU
QB Corey Slater - Left the team
MLB Reggie Carrington - Left the team
Additions:
DT Serge Elizee (Minnesota), DB DeMikel Shankle
SOUTH CAROLINA

WR Michael Bowman - Will not play
DB Antonio Allen - DNQ
RB Eric Baker - DNW
S MISSISSIPPI

WR Rodney Gray - Dismissed from the team
Additions:
DE Mattew Chatelain
STANFORD
TE Matt Traverso - Not returning
SYRACUSE

FB Breyone Evans - Transferred to Div IAA Massachusetts
WR Jeremy Horne - Transferred to Div IAA Massachusetts

TCUNone
TEMPLENoneTENNESSEE
WR Slick Shelley - Transferred to Tulsa
DB DaShaun Barnes - Left Team
DE Rae Sykes - expected to enroll at Coffeyville CC
Cory Hall - will attend Northwestern Miss JC
OL Cameron Mayo - Left Team
TEXAS

S Robert Joseph - Transferring
TEXAS A&M

None
TEXAS TECHNone
TOLEDONone
TROY
None
TULANENone
TULSA
DE Anthony Egbuniwe - Transferred to Georgia Tech
UAB

SLB Kris Guyton - No longer on team

SLB Jeff Williams - No longer on team
NT Todd Howanitz - No longer on team
DT Cortlin Johnson - No longer on team
UCF

None
UCLA
KR Jeremy McGee - Transferred to Ole Miss
Derrick Williams - Quit Football (health)

ULMNone
UNLVNone
USC
DE Chris Barrett - Ineligible for the '07 season
RB Michael Coleman - Transferred
Additions:
FB Jody Adewale - decided to return for final yr
USF

RB Ricky Ponton- Transfer
K Mike Benzer- No longer with team
SLB LaBrandon Glover-(#4 All BE) Transfer
FS Danny Verpaele- Academically Ineligible for '07
WR Amp Hill - Will Transfer
Additions: RB Jamar Taylor (Alabama)

UTAHNone
UTAH ST
None

UTEP
SLB Emeri Spence - Dismissed from the team
VANDERBILT

DE Quavian Lewis - Will not return
DB Marquez Hall - Will not return
WR Steven Goulet - Will not return
Additions:
TE Brandon Barden (Virginia Tech)
VIRGINIA

K Noah Greenbaum - Not expected to return for senior ssn.
WR Kevin Ogletree - Will miss the season
DB Mike Brown - Will miss the season
WR/DB Chase Minnifield
VIRGINIA TECH
True Frosh TE Brandon Barden - Transferred to Vanderbilt
RB George Bell - Transferred to Catawba College
LB Quillie Odom - Will attend Hargrave Military Academy
RB DJ Thomas - Will attend Hargrave Military Academy
RB Kendrick Pressley - Will attend Hargrave Military Academy

WAKE FOREST
LB Eric Berry - Academically Ineligible
WASHINGTON
DL Emeka Iweka - Acad Ineligible
WASHINGTON ST

RB Durrell Hutsona - Left the team

SS DeWayne Patterson - Left the team
W MICHIGAN
WR Chris Maragos - Left team to walk on at Wisconsin

WEST VIRGINIA
Additions: LB John Hafferty - Kansas St

WISCONSIN
WR Jarvis Minton - Won't return
TB John Clay - Acad Ineligible
Additions: WR Chris Maragos (W Michigan)

WYOMINGK Aric Goodman -Transferred
Backup WR Darion Donnelly - Injured

</TD><TD height=1></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD colSpan=3 rowSpan=2>AIR FORCE
None

AKRON
None
ALABAMA
Backup QB Jimmy Barnes - Transferred to Weber St
RB Jamar Taylor - Left school
ARIZONA
None
ARIZONA ST
Additions:
DE Paul Unga
ARKANSAS
None
ARKANSAS ST
None

ARMYNone
AUBURN

LB Patrick Trahan - Ineligible
Backup DT Greg Smith - Ineligible
BALL ST
None
BAYLORNone
BOISE ST
None

BOSTON COLLEGE
None

BOWLING GREEN
None
BUFFALO
None
BYU

QB Cade Cooper - Transfer

CALIFORNIANone
C MICHIGANNone
CINCINNATI
WR Derrick Stewart- Academically Ineligible
DE Trevor Anderson - Transfer

CLEMSON
FS Brandon Croley - Transferred to NC A&T
COLORADO

None
COLORADO ST
None

CONNECTICUT
WR Brandon McLean- Dismissed from team
LG Andrew Presnell- Quit team
CB Darren McKhan- Transfer
CB James Nixon- Academics will transfer
RB Luke Cox - Transferred to Georgia Tech
DUKE
None
EAST CAROLINA
None
E MICHIGANNone
FLORIDA
OL Ronnie Wilson - Suspended for '07 season
FLORIDA ATLANTIC
None
FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
None

FLORIDA ST
LB Jamar Jackson - out for season
C John Frady - status unknown

Additions: S Kenny Ingram (PS#19 '04)
FRESNO ST
None
GEORGIA
CB Paul Oliver - Ineligible (drafted by San Diego in 4th RD of Supplemental draft)
GEORGIA TECH

FB Trevor Bray - Out for the year (injury)
QB Steven Threet - Has left the program

Additions: FB Luke Cox (UConn)
HAWAII

KR Jason Ferguson - Retired from football (injury)
HOUSTONC Naseri Eteuini - Quit
TE Brian Broehm - Quit
OLB Stephen James - Torn ACL and is out for season
IDAHO
None
ILLINOISNone
INDIANA
TE Ty Harangody - Quit playing Football (injury)
IOWA
RB Shonn Green - Will sit out 2007
CB Amari Spievey - transferred
DB Marcus Wilson - Not on roster
IOWA ST
None
KANSAS
Additions:
LB Chea Peterman, OL Jason Hind

KANSAS STNone
KENT
Additions: LB Cobrani Mixon (Michigan)
KENTUCKY
DL DJ Stafford - DNQ
LOUISIANA-LFT
None
LOUISIANA TECH
None

LOUISVILLE
DE Jonathan Holston- Dismissed from team
CB Lamar Alston- Dismissed from team
LB Tyler Wimsatt - Dismissed from team
Additions: OL Abdul Kuyateh (Reedly CC), Charles Millenbah (Grossmont CC)

LSU
WR DeAngelo Benton - Enrolled at Hargrave
MARSHALL

P Marty Biagi - out until at least October (Torn ACL)

MARYLAND
LT Jared Gaither - Acad Inel (#5DC Supplemenal draft)

MEMPHIS

Billy Barefield - Transferring to Northwestern Oklahoma St (NAIA)

MIAMI, FLNone
MIAMI, OH
None
MICHIGAN

LB Cobrani Mixon - Transferred to Kent St
DL Justin McKinney - retired
OL Justin Schifano - retired

MICHIGAN ST
DT Bobby Jones - Transferred to Nebraska-Omaha (Div II)
OL Tom Kaczmarek - Retired (knee)
OL Jason Diehl - Out year (knee)
OL Arthur Ray - Out year
Additions: DL Michael Jordan

MIDDLE TENNESSEENone
MINNESOTA
DT Serge Elizee - Transferred to SMU
RB EJ Jones - Kicked off the team
DE Alex Daniels - Kicked off the team
CB Dominic Jones - Kicked off the team
CB Keith Massey - Kicked off the team

MISSISSIPPIAdditions: P Bryan Powers
MISSISSIPPI STNone
MISSOURI
None
</TD><TD rowSpan=2></TD><TD height=1188></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=3></TD><TD height=1359></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Great job with the thread rj.

Tennial moved the line either 1.5 or 2 points I think, but I honestly don't remember what it was yesterday.

Pitt's Bostick leaves football camp

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Highly touted freshman Pat Bostick, expected to compete for Pitt's starting quarterback job, left campus on the eve of training camp, Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt announced today.

"With our full support and understanding, Pat Bostick left campus last night and returned home to Lancaster to deal with a personal issue," Wannstedt said in a statement. "Everyone connected with our program has the highest regard for Pat, not only as a talented football player but also as a fine young man. No timetable has been set for his return. we are leaving that judgment to Pat and intend to do everything we can to be supportive of him and his family."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

LAS CRONICAS RETURNS TO RUIN HOGS BUZZ

359431243_e1993c2412.jpg

A respectable 20 rank in the Coaches’ Poll! A buzz-generating sighting of the Wildcat formation in fall practice, a formation that new offensive coordinator David Lee says he’s even expanded in his playbook! People forgetting the turmoil of the offseason until…until you get the sudden departure of offensive Colin Tucker from the team, a minor hiccup in the depth chart that should slide away from the reader somewhere around the bottom of the page.

Unless Tucker Sr. goes on a Rivals site and either drops a neutron bomb on anything and everything associated with the coaching staff–now that’s got itself some walkin’ legs, now.

We’ve been told by non-green-fairy/pink elephant sources that the sourcing on the post is solid. It’s Pa Tucker, most likely. Whether a single word of anything said by “Mr. Tucker” in the post is veracity is doubtful–we wouldn’t believe weather reports from Fayetteville if the name Houston Nutt is associated with it from either the pro- or the con- side of the debate.

But here’s the post, removed from Rivals and copied from another Arkansas message board. In case you were jonesing for that midday enema of unadulterated crazy…well, bend over. Here it comes.

My son Colin Tucker turned in his equipment after 18 months of abuse from the Razorback coaching staff. I would rather tell a very loyal fan base first before a small DMG paragraph states he left the team for unknown reasons. I was a fan and very proud that he signed with the Hogs out of Pierce High School in 2005. I and 33 members of my family have graduated from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. We love the school more than many Arkansans. I have read many of the Razors Edge comments and find some truth in the knowledge regarding the program and a majority of insights completely missing the mark. I know many fans will say I am a disgruntled parent. That is their right. Each person has an opinion.

While my son was trying to have a personal meeting to discuss his leaving the team and why, Coach Nutt he took three cellphone calls. That is all he could do to pay attention to someone that was making a very hard choice and asking for a small portion of his time. When I spoke to Coach Nutt by cellphone he couldn’t even stop reading his fan mail to give me his full attention when my son was in the room. Colin said he cared less about my conversation. Mike Markuson didn’t have the courtesy to even return my call last night but called my son and was put out. I called him directly to discuss his opinion of Colin. Markuson gave Colin very little in the way of thanks for his efforts. What a man of God he claims to be.

I know that steriods exist in the program and my son was not ever going to go in the direction. He was black balled by the strength coach and his graduate staff as not meeting the strength requirements to play in the SEC because he couldn’t bech press 450 lbs and sqaut 600lbs. Mike Markuson told him today in a personal meeting he didin’t have what it takes physically to play in the SEC - 6′5″ 295lbs. He wiped Earnest Mitchell so bad last year in spring practice Earnest started a fight with him and was kicked out of practice. The strongest guy on the team was getting beaten by the weakest linemen.

The medical staff abused his broken foot i.e. Dean Weber. They told him the foot wasn’t broken. An xray technician at the school was the Razorback expert. They claimed he had gout and when I sent him to the Washington County hospital emergency room the doctor clearly stated it was a broken foot. Dean Weber chewed him out for seeking outside medical attention and told him “this was indicative of his career”. That is why our players aren’t helped when they are injured. Dean Weber is a dumb ass.

Folks get ready for much more to come from me. I love the Razorbacks and the U of A but our players deserve better coaching and people that want to develope them into better men and graduates that have degrees. By the way my son has made All SEC Academic every semester he has been at the University and will graduate in three years. I am more proud of that than him wearing the Hog uniform.

Colin recommended to Coach Nutt to give his schlorship to Mike Moffit because the walk on deserved to be rewarded. Colin is not bitter he has a big heart and has class. He will do well in life. The Razorback program did nothing to make him a better person. He had that before he arrived on campus. The players deserve better from the men that dominate their lifes for 4 years while playing ball. Go ask Zac Tubbs or Steve Parker some of Colin’s best friends last year what they got from the program after the stadium lights turned off - not much and very little positives regarding the program.

He wishes the best to his former teammates.

SEC football! It’s stabyouinthefacetastic!

Hardrick dismissed

Ex-Edgewater star Matt Hardrick did not agree with his new position coach.

Andrew Carter
Sentinel Staff Writer
August 8, 2007
TALLAHASSEE

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.orlandosentinel/sports/college/seminoles;tk=11587;ptype=ps;slug=orl-fsu0807aug08;rg=ur;ref=orlandosentinelcom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=58641419?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT> <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Matt Hardrick had just settled into his new apartment here in town. The 2005 Edgewater High graduate had lost 23 pounds during the offseason, and his goal was to get down to about 320. He anticipated competing during the next few weeks for time on the Florida State offensive line.

Hardrick, though, is a Seminole no longer. Coach Bobby Bowden announced on Tuesday after FSU's first fall practice here that the former Edgewater star, who started for the Eagles from 2001-04, has been dismissed from the program for violation of team rules.

FSU coaches and officials wouldn't comment further about how Hardrick -- once one of the most promising high school prospects in Central Florida -- found his way off the team. He, however, still was enrolled in the university as of Tuesday afternoon, according to Mark Meleney, the director of athletic academic support.

Mia Robinson, Hardrick's mother, said Tuesday that her son and new offensive line coach Rick Trickett had a poor relationship, which Robinson said propelled the dismissal.

"It wasn't a surprise," Robinson said of learning her son's fate at FSU. "Basically they [Trickett and Hardrick] were bumping heads, and I just found out not too long ago how in-depth it was, how he was handling my son.

"They started off on the wrong foot, and it never seemed like they got back."

Robinson acknowledged that her son had violated team rules, but she wouldn't go into detail about specifics of the violation.

"The only way he was going to get out was to violate [team rules]," she said.

News that Hardrick was no longer on the team was met with disappointment from some of his Seminoles teammates, including redshirt junior Kenny Ingram, a safety who played with Hardrick at Edgewater.

"I was sad for him," Ingram said. "I called him, and he said that he's feeling real down and upset about it.

"And I'm just hoping for the best, because he's a good kid, and I hope everything works out for him."

Efforts to reach Hardrick on Tuesday were unsuccessful.

The sophomore, who arrived here in 2006 after he spent a year at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia, figured to be in the mix for playing time on a Seminoles offensive line that already appears thin. In addition to the absence of Hardrick, FSU practiced on the first day without offensive linemen Dumaka Atkins and John Frady, both of whom have yet to be cleared medically.

On the preseason depth chart, Hardrick had been listed as a backup to Daron Rose at left tackle. Hardrick was one of three true freshman offensive linemen who earned playing time for the Seminoles a season ago. He played in eight games.

While still at Edgewater, Hardrick was recruited by Florida, Miami and Oklahoma, among others. Bill Gierke, who coached Hardrick at Edgewater, said he had heard Tuesday morning that his former lineman had been dismissed, but that he had not received word from FSU on the reason.

"Nothing surprises me anymore," Gierke said. "I don't mean to say that in a negative way. There's nothing that surprises me anymore. Hate to see it happen to Matt, because he really played good for me. Unfortunately, it happens."

Robinson said her son now would decide where to take his football career next. She said he is considering all options, including the possibility of transferring to a Division I-AA school, which would enable Hardrick to play immediately instead of sitting out a year.

Robinson said she feels no ill will toward FSU, though she said she wished Hardrick's relationship with Trickett had been more positive. She said her son's weight -- he was FSU's heaviest offensive lineman -- was a constant point of tension between Trickett and him.

Trickett was unavailable for comment Tuesday night.

"I don't really think he was going to give him a chance anyway," Robinson said. "It's just unfortunate. I'm ready for my son to move on, and his happiness is what means the most to me."

Iowa State linebacker Carper out for season <!-- CONTENT -->
August 8, 2007

<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center></TD><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px"> Add comment</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

CARPER OFFICIALLY OUT: A bad knee will apparently sideline Iowa State linebacker Adam Carper this season.

He injured his left knee during a practice drill midway through last season, and it hasn't fully responded to treatment. He has not been listed on Iowa State's depth chart this year.

The Cyclones' medical staff has advised Carper to sit out this year.

Carper, a junior from Clarinda, isn't sure if he'll petition the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility.

AU notebook: Gandy retires, wants to coach

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

AUBURN -- Auburn junior linebacker Steve Gandy retired from football Tuesday, three days after sustaining his fourth concussion in only an eight-month span.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said Gandy's other injury woes -- including knee and shoulder problems, and a freakish thigh infection suffered last year -- also contributed to his decision.

"It was too much for him to handle. It was time," Tuberville said. "He did everything we asked of him. He gave it his best shot. Sometimes, the body just gives out. We want him to have a good, long life."

Rebels move QB Schaeffer to wide receiver
By Robbie Neiswanger
rneiswanger@clarionledger.com

OXFORD — Brent Schaeffer, who struggled much of last season as the Ole Miss quarterback, is now a wide receiver.
At least for now.

Schaeffer practiced at receiver Tuesday and will again today, offensive coordinator Dan Werner said this morning.

“He did a nice job,” Werner said. “We’ll see how he progresses and where he fits in.”

Asked if this is a permanent move, Werner said: “We’ll wait and see how he does.”

Schaeffer came to Ole Miss last year as a highly touted recruit from College of the Sequoias, a two-year school in California. Coach Ed Orgeron named him the Rebels’ starting quarterback before he was even cleared academically by the NCAA to compete, but Schaeffer struggled most of the 2006 season as the Rebels won four games and lost eight. Schaeffer started all 12 games. He completed fewer than 50 percent of his passes (115 of 244) and threw more interceptions (10) than touchdown passes (nine).

At the end of the year, Schaeffer was taken out of several games and replaced by Seth Adams, a walk-on.

When spring practice began, Orgeron announced that the QB job was up for grabs, and Adams emerged from the spring as the leader at the position.

Adams continues to be the leader during fall practices but Orgeron has not named a starter for the Sept. 1 opener against Memphis. Michael Herrick, a redshirt freshman, is battling Adams for the starting spot.

Rumors of Bostick's passing may be exagerated, but still taking a week+ as a freshman QB?

Bostick's absence likely to be short

Father expects QB to return next week

Thursday, August 09, 2007
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pat Bostick will return to Pitt's football camp by early next week according to his father, Pat Bostick Sr.
Bostick, the Panthers' heralded freshman quarterback from Manheim Township, left the team Monday and returned to his home in Lancaster in order to deal with what were described as "personal issues."
Bostick's father said his son is doing well and will continue to work through some things this week but will be ready to return to the field shortly.
"I'd expect he'll be back at camp by the beginning of next week, absolutely," Bostick Sr. said yesterday. "I can assure you that this had nothing to do with being homesick or a girlfriend issue or anything like that -- Pat needed some time to get in the right frame of mind and this is an important time for him. Pat was not happy about leaving camp, it is not what he wanted to do, but we all agreed it would be the best thing for him at this point.
"I really believe in the long run, taking this time will be very good for him and he'll be in a much better place when he returns."
Bostick Sr. said that his son will return to the field as soon as he returns to campus and will continue his usual practice routine. He also said transferring or quitting aren't options.
"Pat loves Pitt, he loves the coaching staff and he loves his teammates," he said. "He has enjoyed his time out there and the coaching staff has been very supportive of him and our family through this time. He is very eager to get back out there and return to playing football. He is gung ho about getting back to Pitt and being a part of that program and he'll back soon, and when he does return he'll be ready to go."
Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said he's encouraged by what he has heard from Bostick's family and his high school coach, and reiterated that his top priority is making sure Bostick is OK.
"We've had conversations with his high school coach and I know Pat met with his coach [yesterday], but we're just taking it one day at a time," Wannstedt said. "As I said before, the most important thing for us is to get Pat settled back in and comfortable, but if and when he shows up we'll cross that [football] bridge and go from there." Bostick, who threw for 7,259 yards in high school and was the Pennsylvania Gatorade player of the year last season, was expected to compete for the starting quarterback job with junior Bill Stull.

Knee injury to sideline freshman tailback Carter for season

By Chris Foster
August 9, 2007

Freshman tailback Raymond Carter, one of UCLA's top recruits, is lost for the season. He will need surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

Carter was injured at the end of drills Tuesday and underwent an MRI examination Wednesday. He watched practice while leaning on crutches.

The Bruins were already thin at tailback. Starter Chris Markey returns, but Kahlil Bell and Chane Moline -- who combined for 93 carries last season -- are the only experienced backups. Carter had an opportunity to get playing time this season and could have provided a break-away threat in the backfield.

Ryen Carew, a walk-on, is the only other tailback on the roster expected to have a chance at playing time.

Carter gained 3,168 yards and scored 31 touchdowns at Crenshaw High, and was a state finalist in the 100- and 200-meter races.

Patrick Cowan, the quarterback who helped engineer UCLA's biggest victory since Karl Dorrell was hired as coach, has no chance of getting quality playing time this season, or next, if all goes as scripted.

His performance in the 13-9 upset over USC is chiseled into the minds of Bruins fans, but his name is written in ink on the second team. Cowan lost out to Ben Olson in the quarterback competition during spring practice.

Still, Cowan is a man of few words -- very few -- and none sound bitter.

A master of pat answers, Cowan twice said Wednesday, "All I can do is practice hard for the team and try to get better."

That has been evident in his effort, offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said.

"Football is about adversity," Norvell said. "It's a sport where half the people get knocked down on every play. It isn't about winning a job or losing a job. It's about how you deal with it. Pat has done that. He did great work over the summer and has elevated his game."

Cowan's resume could make that hard to take. He stepped in when Olson was injured in the fifth game last season and helped the Bruins win three consecutive games to finish the regular season, including the victory over USC.

But after spring practice, Cowan was looking at two seasons of being Olson's caddie. Both are juniors.

Cowan, though, gave no thought about transferring.

"Not at all," he said. "I'm a Bruin."

Strong safety Chris Horton (hamstring injury) and cornerback Rodney Van (sprained ankle) sat out drills Wednesday. . . . The NCAA Clearinghouse is not expected to rule on the status of freshman defensive tackle Brian Price for a few days.

Bilal Powell moving back to running back

By Mike Section: News
Posted on Thu Aug 09, 2007 at 11:05:44 AM EDT

</I>

Per Rocco Gasparro's increasingly crucial practice reports (crucial for sanity purposes), freshman Bilal Powell has already been switched from cornerback back to the running back position where he starred as a senior at Lake Gibson High School (Fla.).

Those of us who were at practice last week saw him struggle a bit, but surely that isn't the reason for the switch. Moving a kid away from a position because of poor performance in his first six collegiate practices seems like an awfully premature action. Powell averaged 9.0 ypg while rushing for 1,960 yards and 26 touchdowns his senior season, but he was recruited by U of L to play defense. Perhaps this is more of an indication of the strength of our cornerbacks in relation to the strength of our running backs than it is a reflection of Powell's practice performance to date.
So now we have a seventh name thrown into the mix at running back, and I'm extremely interested to see who redshirts out of the freshman trio of Powell, Dale Martin and Victor Anderson. With four upperclassmen fairly entrenched above them on the depth chart, carries are going to be hard to come by barring someone having an absolutely spectacular three weeks. This leads me to believe that two of these guys may very well be freshmen again this time next year. Or maybe all three will see time and catapult themselves to the top of the depth chart by the UK game, no one knows.

OU RB Patrick sprains ankle

"NORMAN — Allen Patrick, a senior and Oklahoma's incumbent starter at running back, suffered a sprained right ankle during Wednesday's practice.
No further details about the extent of the injury — or his availability for Saturday's 11 a.m. scrimmage — were known and head coach Bob Stoops was not available for comment Thursday.

It is the same ankle that Patrick injured last Nov. 4 against Texas A&M, which caused him to miss two games.

Patrick was OU's second-leading rusher last season, with 761 yards and four touchdowns on 168 carries in 12 games, including five starts."

Terps RB Washington will miss fall camp for academic reasons

Sun reporter
8:19 PM EDT, August 9, 2007

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.baltimoresun/sports/college/football;ptype=ps;slug=bal-terpsfootball0809;rg=ur;ref=baltimoresuncom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=56080892?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><!-- Template Id = 1 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><SCRIPT src="http://m1.2mdn.net/879366/flashwrite_1_2.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript>dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>
terps_vidshell_replace_0807.jpg
</NOSCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Redshirt freshman running back Pha'Terrell Washington has not been attending practices and will miss the rest of fall camp for academic reasons, coach Ralph Friedgen said today. Washington is still taking full summer school classes.

"I'm letting him concentrate on his studies," Friedgen said.

Free safety Taji Thornton is also missing fall camp for academic reasons. The eligibility of both players will be determined before the Sept. 1 season opener against Villanova, a school spokesman confirmed.

-Heather A. Dinic

Bad news: Cook, Ponder hurt

The first bad news of the fall has come out -- linebacker Glenn Cook and safety Lovon Ponder (who were both expected to be starters) -- are injured.

As UM scrimmaged for the first time this fall, both were out with injuries. Coach Randy Shannon told reporters Cook is expected to miss between three to four games. Ponder, who was seen on crutches around school Wednesday, could return to the team before the start of the season.

Cook's loss means Miami will be without its most experienced linebacker to start the season. Cook was tied for the lead for most starts with Tavares Gooden with 14. But without question, he was expected to replace Jon Beason as the brainchild and leader of the linebacking corps from the weakside. Now, Gooden or Spencer Adkins will likely replace him in the starting lineup alongside sophomore Darryl Sharpton and Colin McCarthy.

Willie Cooper who made the big interception to save UM from an ugly loss to Duke last season is now expected to carry the load at safety alongside Kenny Phillips until Ponder returns. Freshmen Jojo Nicholas could also see some time there.

Jason Boone out for season with torn ACL

By JazzyUte Section: Football
Posted on Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 12:18:43 PM EDT

</I>

Utah offensive lineman Jason Boone is out for the season with a torn ACL, 1320 KFAN is reporting. Boone, a senior, was an integral part to Utah's experienced line. Replacing him will not be easy, nor likely, and this is a huge blow for the Utes' offense.
The depth at OL isn't too bad for Utah, at least it's far better than other positions, but it isn't nearly as experienced now with the loss of Boone.

Whether this injury is going to do severe damage to Utah, or just be a small nuisance, we probably won't know until the season begins. Hopefully though it's the latter and we get along well without him.

Trey Biddy
HawgSports.com Publisher
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Razor's Edge

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The good news is that junior college transfer Brandon Barnett was able to join the team tonight for practice for the first time since getting cleared by the NCAA. The bad news came midway through when split end Marcus Monk went down with an injury.

<!--Start Marcus Monk 150 One hand Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1033/348153.jpg', '348153.jpg', 0, 220, 150, 1, 'Coaches hope Monk only tore cartilage in his knee during Thursday\'s practice', '', 1186712447000, 'Marcus Monk 150 One hand', 1033, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=158 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=152>
348153.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Coaches hope Monk only tore cartilage in his knee during Thursday's practice</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Marcus Monk 150 One hand Image-->Monk, going into his fourth year as the starter at split end, collided with safety Michael Grant after making a first-down reception. At best, it appears the diagnosis would be torn cartilage. Worst case scenario would have him out for the season with a torn ACL.

"We had a good practice, but it's hard to feel good when 85 walks off the field," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said. "He probably has a torn cartilage. We're going to go get an MRI right now, get him scoped, and we'll see where he is. I hope it's not any more than that.

"The way the doctors are now and the surgery, no longer than two weeks [if it's torn cartilage], which would be great. It's what you're hoping and praying."

Wednesday, the defense was not aggressive enough. Thursday, they were aggressive, but the cost was potentially losing Monk for an extended time. Nutt said it is a fine line, and they don't want to find themselves thinking they're soft on Sept. 1, but it is important to protect the playmakers. Also, fullback Peyton Hillis took a good shot and was laying on the ground for a long time before finally getting up and rejoining the team.

"It was a tough shot. I kind of read the defense wrong, and Casey threw it just a little bit too late, and I got popped a little bit," Hillis said. "I think it was like a helmet to the stomach or something, and I got the breath knocked out of me a little bit. I tried to run it off, but I decided if I couldn't breath, there's not any sense in running, so I just laid there."

Barnett was elated to join the team. In Nutt's 10 years at Arkansas, a sign-and-place recruit has never found his way back to the UA campus. Barnett, sporting No. 6 and playing cornerback now instead of running back, is the first. He was recruited to Arkansas to play running back.

"It's always been a childhood dream of mine," Barnett said. "Whatever it takes to help out the team, I'm going to try to do.

"I know Darren [McFadden] and Michael Smith and those guys on the offense are going to hold it down, so what I need to do is come out and whatever Coach Nutt asks me to do, be willing to do it and play my best."

Starting quarterback Casey Dick, who has been sporting a black jersey since yesterday to warn defenders not to hit him, has been trying to work out an ugly habit he picked up over the summer. Quarterbacks coach David Lee is working on him on some key fundamental aspects of his game.

"We just need to do them every day," Dick said. "Shorten the stride, it helps pull the ball down so it won't sail over high, but I think it's coming along well, and we've got to continue doing those."

Arkansas is scheduled to take part in the first two-a-day session on Friday, but that has been changed. To help players in summer school and those taking finals, the team will likely bump the first two-a-day to Saturday. If so, it will not be two full-scale practices. The morning session would be more of a walk-through.

My SC over 7 wins looks better by the day. I don't wish injury on anyone and as a player, I like Monk but Arkansas is going to struggle this yr, especially if Monk is out. They will not top last yr, just not happening. I don't care if they traded Felix Jones for Tomlinson, ok maybe but still.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

BREAKING NEWS: Marshall loses McClellan for year

by Chuck Landon
Daily Mail sportswriter

Print Story
Email Story

HUNTINGTON -- Marshall's football program suffered a devastating blow today, announcing that star defensive end Albert McClellan has been lost for the season with a knee injury.
"Albert has torn ligaments in his left knee that will require surgery," said Randy Burnside, MU assistant athletic director for media relations. "He will be sidelined for the season."
McClellan, 6-foot-2, 240-pound junior, had a breakout 2006 season, culminating in his selection as the Conference USA Defensive Player of the Year. The Lakeland, Fla., native also recently was named C-USA Preseason Defensive Player of the Year for the upcoming season.
Hopes of reprising that honor ended, however, when McClellan fell to the Edwards Field artificial turf clutching his left knee late in a preseason practice here Monday.
The Herd was conducting an 11-on-11 live drill, while wearing helmets and shoulder pads. Left offensive tackle John Inman was blocking McClellan when the standout's left knee appeared to buckle.
As McClellan rolled back and forth on the turf clutching his knee, Inman smacked his hands together in disgust and called for trainers. The entire MU squad seemed to hold its breath. Trainers rushed to McClellan's side and eventually helped the fallen star to a training table on the sidelines.
At the time, McClellan told the trainers that Inman "had pressure on my shoulder and, then, I just fell."
Marshall team orthopedist Stan Tao conducted a preliminary examination of McClellan's left knee, while team doctor emeritus Jose Ricard observed.
Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when McClellan walked under his own power to join the team at the end of practice. Even the next day, Tuesday, the star defensive end showed up for lunch walking without crutches.
McClellan's injured knee was wrapped in an elastic bandage, but he said that "it just feels tight."
When the Herd donned full pads for the first time Tuesday, McClellan dressed despite not being allowed to participate.
Then, prospects took a turn for the worse Thursday when McClellan did show up on crutches. Finally, Snyder addressed the mounting rumors of McClellan's debilitating injury before practice here today, releasing the information through Burnside that the MU star will miss the '07 season.
Actually, there was a possibility that McClellan could have returned this season, playing with a brace. But doctors felt that McClellan would be putting himself at risk.
McClellan, who had been nominated for the Lombardi and Bronko Nagurski awards, led Conference USA in tackles for loss (19) and sacks (11) last season. He ranked sixth in the nation in tackles for loss, seventh in sacks and tied for 10th in forced fumbles (4).
He enjoyed a monster game against East Carolina, making nine tackles (eight solo) including a school-record 6.5 tackles for loss, a career-high 3.5 sacks, two forced fumbles and a pass break-up.
The only silver lining to his injury is McClellan is a true junior and does have a redshirt year available. After missing this season, he still will have two seasons of eligibility remaining.
"This will help Albert academically and put him on course to get his degree," said Burnside. "He has a positive outlook. He's going to be a team leader on the sidelines."
The job of trying to replace McClellan falls to some combination of true freshman Vinny Curry, sophomore John Jacobs and redshirt freshman Mike Janac. Also, true freshman defensive lineman Johnny Jones won't be redshirted now.
Curry, 6-4, 260, has been McClellan's backup at left defensive end and has earned rave reviews from Snyder, who has gone so far as to say that Curry "could be a big Albert."
Now, Marshall will need Curry to be just that.

Schaeffer still working out at QB.

Monk only has a bruised knee, but may still miss out against Troy.

Injury ends Doolittle's AU career

Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/trackingtigersabout.html"]Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times[/URL] August 11, 2007 1:49 PM

Defensive tackle Tez Doolittle's Auburn football career is over.

Doolittle, from Opelika, suffered a torn Achilles in practice Friday morning. A fifth-year senior who has already earned his degree, Doolittle is not a candidate for a sixth year of eligibility.

In other injury news, tailback/kick returner Tristan Davis had surgery Saturday morning to place a pin in his broken toe. After the surgery, his projected recovery time, first put at 4-6 weeks, was changed to 6-8 weeks. Auburn coaches hope he will be back in time to play against Florida in the season's fifth game.

There was bad news in Saturday morning's scrimmage, too. With the backup quarterbacks going live, meaning they could be hit, redshirt freshman quarterback Neil Caudle suffered a sprained shoulder. It is uncertain how long he will be sidelined.

More coming later.

Auburn is having quite a bit of attrition on the defensive side of the ball.

Any lingering doubts I have had about playing KSU have been all but completely erased, now its a matter of deciding between points, money line, or both.

Garf: I'm in the same boat. I want 14 and think I'll get it. I think KSU keeps it close and Auburn has lost 4 starting or back up defenders so far this year. Big losses.

WR Thomas hurts knee ; likely back for Nd

By MATT WINKELJOHN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/10/07

Keeping track of Georgia Tech's injured players Friday was as dizzying as working in the extreme heat. The offensive line has been knocked woozy.

<!--endtext--><!--endclickprintinclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=175 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
Johnny Crawford/AJC
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption>Redshirt freshman Demaryius Thomas appeared to catch a cleat in the turf at Friday's morning practice and hurt his right knee.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=170 bgColor=#cccccc border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=9 width=168 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=body>RELATED STORIES • More Tech coverage
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width=170 bgColor=#cccccc border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=168 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR class=railscreen01><TD>Your Turn</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=9 width=168 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT language=javascript> function clickVote() { document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = "yes"; document.pollForm.PageId.value = "poll_vote_submit"; document.pollForm.submit(); } function alert1(){ document.pollForm.buttonClicked.value = ""; } </SCRIPT><FORM name=pollForm action=/poll/poll/poll/take_poll/PollRefresh.jsp method=post><INPUT type=hidden value=poll_vote_submit name=PageId> <INPUT type=hidden value=17334 name=pollID> <INPUT type=hidden value=take name=page> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%">[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Eligibility questions, injuries, what's your confidence going into the opener vs. the Irish? [/SIZE][/FONT]</TD><TD align=right width=46 height=15></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><INPUT type=radio value=52723 name=choice> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Wounds will heal. Questions will be answered. Jackets will take care of business on the field. [/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><INPUT type=radio value=52724 name=choice> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]No matter what, it's Notre Dame. [/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2><INPUT type=radio value=52725 name=choice> [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]I'd rather watch Calvin Johnson on Sunday. [/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle width="100%"><INPUT type=submit value=Vote name=vote>
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-2]Voter Limit: Once per Hour
View Poll Results [/SIZE][/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--startclickprintinclude--><!--begintext-->

Several Yellow Jackets were hurt in the morning, including starting wide receiver Demaryius Thomas (right knee). Thomas' injury looked bad at the time, but Tech coach Chan Gailey later called it "not as bad as we feared" and said Thomas should return in time for the opener Sept. 1 at Notre Dame.

Gailey said he had no timeline for the return of reserve linebacker Travis Chambers (apparent shoulder injury), reserve wide receiver Andrew Smith (left leg) or reserve right tackle Jason Hill (unknown). For the second consecutive day, left tackle Andrew Gardner (unknown) took some but not all the snaps with the first-team offense.

"I do not yet have reports on most of them," said Gailey, who explained freshman Clyde Yandell's extra work at left tackle by saying Gardner was a little dinged.

Gailey said he doubted projected starting right tackle A.J. Smith (elbow) would return next week but still expects him for the opener. He also said he believed starting left guard Matt Rhodes (unknown) will return well before A.J. Smith. Rhodes was at the morning practice but did not take part in it.

Scrimmage at Bobby Dodd

The Jackets will scrimmage at 11:45 a.m. Saturday in Bobby Dodd Stadium. It is open to the public, and at times it will be similar to a game.

"You can cut [block]," Gailey said. "Guys have got to learn to defend their legs. That's why you scrimmage less; you're trying to eliminate leg injuries. But you have to learn to defend your legs, and to block low.

"And when the coaches are off the field, who can take what they've learned in practice and put it into a game-type situation? That's what you're looking for."

Gailey moved a scheduled Friday afternoon practice session back an hour, then called it off.

First-team defense stands tall this time

The defense fared better Friday morning than it had all week in full-tackle goal-line drills. The first unit stuffed the first-team offense on three plays from inside the 5-yard line, and then reserves did the same.

"Coach [Jon] Tenuta and the defense, they're going to win some. You know that," running back Tashard Choice said. "We won six of six [Thursday], and I talked trash to the whole defense. Today, they beat our tail. They won six. Good job."

Defensive end Adamm Oliver said of Choice's endless banter, "It's entertaining. Sometimes, he'll chop his mouth at me, and most of the time I shut him up a play or two later.

"You've got to have that kind of people on your team to make things exciting. Otherwise, you come out here and it's just too quiet and people get lazy, everybody just kind of goes through the motions."

Cornerback Clark reclaims No. 2 role

Senior Pat Clark was back at backup cornerback in the morning after missing practice twice in the previous three days while attending to academic matters. That bumped freshman Mario Butler back to the third team.

Cord Howard worked most at No. 2 left tackle.

Freshman Nesbitt keeps plugging

Junior transfer Calvin Booker has won the backup quarterback job, Gailey said, but freshman Josh Nesbitt is still trying to prove he can help if needed.

"I think the game is slowing down a little for him," offensive coordinator John Bond said. "As a freshman, you have so much information, especially at that position, with all our formations, movements, reads and progressions.

"

Michigan loses 2nd string DT:

McKinney Officially Gone

James McKinney's medical issue that had him off the roster by not necessarily off the team permanently had turned into a transfer:
James McKinney, a former U.S. Army All-American who starred at Louisville Central, has received his release from Michigan and is looking for a new home.​
He's transferring to Louisville, which is odd since McKinney's trip to UL was perhaps the worst official visit in the history of official visits. He was kicked off campus after a night, supposedly because he was flaunting his desire to go to Michigan or some such thing. Carr refused to communicate any information about his "medical issue," but chances are it's not physical if McKinney's transferring away, especially back home.

Thanks, Garf.

Knee injury sidelines Pitt wide receiver Derek Kinder for season

By ASSOCIATED PRESS | August 12, 2007 |
comments.gif
0 comments

<!-- AddThis Bookmark Button END -->
PITTSBURGH -- Pitt wide receiver Derek Kinder, a first-team all-Big East player last season, will miss the season with a torn knee ligament.

Kinder was injured making a cut after catching a pass during a non-contact drill during the first day of full squad workouts Saturday. An MRI exam revealed a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee that will require at least six months of rehabilitation.

After making the catch, Kinder was in pain but walked off the practice field. He is expected to have surgery this week.

''This is a very unfortunate thing,'' said coach Dave Wannstedt, who disclosed the test results on Sunday. ''He has worked so hard to put himself in position for a great year. It was a non-contact injury - he never got hit, he just planted on the grass.''

Kinder has not redshirted, so he can sit out this season and return to play as a senior in 2008. Pittsburgh is listed at +25000 to win the BCS Championship on bodog.com.

Kinder caught 57 passes for 847 yards and six touchdowns last season, when he was a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff award as college football's top receiver.

Couple of non-season ending injuries to keep an eye on, especially for the first game or two:

Rejus Benn Injured in Illini Scrimmage

Posted Aug 12th 2007 2:18PM by Tom Fornelli

rejusbenn.jpg
We all know that Ron Zook can recruit. I mean, if the number one wide receiver in the country choosing to go to Illinois over every other school doesn't tell you that, then you're blind. The question with Zook has always been whether or not he can ever turn all that talent into wins.

Well, if his players could last an entire scrimmage without suffering an injury, it would make it a lot easier.
Scary moment at the Illini football scrimmage Saturday night at Rantoul High School. Rejus Benn, the heralded wideout from Washington, D.C., went down in what appeared to be a lot of pain and suffered a right shoulder injury.

By the time Benn could walk off the field, the training and medical staff had bandaged his right arm tightly against his body. He later returned to the sideline in a sling but, on Ron Zook's orders, he was taken in a car back to the Camp Rantoul headquarters.

Zook said after practice that he doesn't believe Benn's injury is serious, but the team will be re-evaluating it today. As if Benn's injury wasn't enough, his backup Chris James also had to leave practice on crutches and in a leg brace with what the team hopes is only a sprained knee.

Here's hoping that Zook can recruit some doctors for next season.

Has QB Bostick returned to Pitt yet?

Looks like Wannstache will be moving to that running game a bit earlier than expected.

I'm not sure I can back EMU, but catching 20 points may be a good play the first week with the #1 Pitt receiver out and the heralded new QB missing the first week of practice (and maybe bailing all together).

More on Kinder and the impact on Pitt:

Pitt's #1 WR Out for the Season

Posted Aug 12th 2007 4:14PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Pittsburgh Football, Big East, NCAA FB Injuries
dkinderacl.jpg
Derek Kinder, Pitt's top wide receiver last year went down in practice yesterday with a torn ACL in his right knee. Kinder was injured on the first day that players were allowed to wear pads in practice, but actually went down in a non-contact drill. Kinder was 1st team All-Big East and a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award. The senior WR is expected to take a medical redshirt.

While Kinder was Pitt's number one receiver, he also excelled at downfield blocking, as demonstrated below in this punt return. He laid the opening block that leveled two Mountaineers to spring Darrelle Revis to return the punt for a TD (and it was an ESPY finalist for play of the year).

In the nebulous "intangibles" area, this is a big loss for Pitt. Kinder was the only senior among the wide receivers and was expected to be named a team captain for the offense. His work ethic on and off the field makes this a difficult loss for Pitt

The only good news for Pitt is that WR was the one place where Pitt has some actual depth. Pitt can actually go very deep with talent at the position with Oderick Turner, Marcel Pestano, Cedric McGee and T.J. Porter. In addition, they have two very promising freshmen in Maurice Williams and Aundre Wright.

Keep an eye on this one (more on Auburn):

Bosley injures knee

Posted by [URL="http://blog.al.com/trackingtigersabout.html"]Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times[/URL] August 12, 2007 9:44 PM

Junior center Jason Bosley, a former Grissom High School standout, suffered an apparent injury to his left knee in the final period of Sunday night's practice.

Bosley was helped off the intramural field where practice was held and carried back to the training room in a van. Offensive line coach Hugh Nall said he did not know the severity of the injury.

"He had his braces on, so you have to believe the best," Nall said. "We won't know until they do whatever test they have to do and find out what damage there is, if any. We'll take whatever it is and go with it."
More to come

Fourth-string QB leaves Terps

Sheahin headed to Salisbury

By Heather A. Dinich
Sun reporter
9:08 PM EDT, August 12, 2007
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/trb.baltimoresun/sports/college/football;ptype=ps;slug=bal-sheahin0812;rg=ur;ref=baltimoresuncom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=40188119?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT> <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
Maryland backup quarterback Bobby Sheahin quit the team Saturday and transferred to Salisbury University today, his father, Bob, said.

Sheahin, a walk-on who transferred from West Virginia, was listed as the fourth-string quarterback on the Terps' depth chart, and told Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen Saturday that he wanted to leave the program.

"He wanted to go somewhere he knew he was going to play," Bob Sheahin said. "They went from a position where they had no quarterbacks to now they have a slew."

Sheahin said his son's decision had nothing to do with the coaching staff or program.

"They were great with him," he said. "I know it killed him to leave."

The staff at Salisbury was able to admit Sheahin over the phone, his father said, and he was on campus by 4 p.m. today. His brother, Chris, a freshman receiver at Maryland who transferred from Navy, might also leave now because of his brother's decision.

Sheahin is the second quarterback to leave Maryland; Jeremy Ricker left during the spring.

Talk about another team with huge offseason losses: USF.

WR Erskin Tears ACL, Will Miss Season

Published: Aug 12, 2007

TAMPA - University of South Florida WR Colby Erskin, probably the Bulls' fastest player, suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during practice Saturday morning, and likely will miss the entire 2007 season.

"Real tough, it's a very tough situation," USF Coach Jim Leavitt said of the sophomore walk-on. "He's a great kid. He earned his scholarship and it's certainly tough. He's one of our top punt returners, kickoff returners, receivers, and we're going to take a hit."

Listed as a starter at wide receiver on the preseason depth chart, the 5-foot-9, 185-pounder from Seminole High was poised to build on his redshirt freshman season, where he averaged 17.0 yards per kick return and 14.3 yards per reception. Saturday's injury occurred as he went up for a ball and came down awkwardly on the field.

"He just came down, he just planted wrong, right in between some guys," Leavitt said. "We were going hard."

"That's a tough one, but it's an opportunity for somebody else. Hopefully somebody else will step up."

OTHER INJURIES: LB Chris Robinson and OT Walter Walker continue to nurse sprained left ankles from Thursday, and Leavitt said they may be sitting out practice for two more weeks. They have been at practice since getting hurt, with Robinson on crutches and Walker wearing a large gray boot.

"Those guys will be OK, it's going to be awhile though," Leavitt said. They've got pretty good sprains."

NOTEWORTHY: The Bulls practiced in full pads twice on Saturday, though the evening session was cut short after less than an hour due to lightning. They have today off, and are scheduled to practice twice on Monday.

So far the big offseason losers are Auburn, USF, and Pitt--I think in that order.

Injury to Illini's Benn minor

By Terry Bannon
Tribune staff reporter

August 13, 2007

<!-- START LEAD -->Illinois received a scare during its Saturday night scrimmage at Rantoul High School when receiver Arrelious Benn went down with a shoulder injury.

But a spokesman said Sunday that Benn suffered a sprained right shoulder and is expected to miss only a couple of days of practice.

A QB moves to safety, but he's a life-saver too

Michelle Smith, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, August 12, 2007
Kellen Kiilsgaard just got to Stanford. His potential for success as a college football player is just that, a story still to be told.
But this much is already apparent - Kiilsgaard is willing to do what needs to be done, not only on the field, but in life. And that's a pretty good story.
The star quarterback prospect from Auburn, Wash., came to Stanford understanding that he was needed elsewhere. As camp enters its second week, he is learning the ropes as a college safety, filling an urgent need in the Cardinal secondary. He played safety in high school as well as quarterback. He was also Auburn High's placekicker and punter.
"It's a process of learning right now," Kiilsgaard said. "I can't really go out there and expect to have a whole lot of reps in practice because it's a tough process. There are so many little things at the position that I don't know yet, but it's fun and it feels good to be back there. I'm excited to see how fast I can master the defense and get to the point where I can contribute."
Kiilsgaard, a two-sport athlete who will also play baseball, committed to Stanford as one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation, listed as high as No. 11 nationally by Rivals.com.
In his senior season, he threw for 1,020 yards and 13 touchdowns and ran for 973 yards and 23 touchdowns. He had scholarship offers from every school in the Pac-10 except for USC and UCLA.
He arrived on The Farm intending to find his place in the ranks of Stanford quarterbacks. But as he worked out with new teammates over the summer, he sensed a different theme developing.
"They all kept telling me, 'You should really think about playing safety,' " Kiilsgaard said. "They thought it was a faster, more immediate chance for me to help the team out."
Kiilsgaard said he took their advice with a shrug at first and went home to talk it over with his father, who was the defensive coordinator for his high school team.
"He's a great defensive player, but I asked him, 'Is it OK for you to know that your dream of playing quarterback might come to an end?' " Kjel Kiilsgaard said. "He said he was prepared for that and he was OK with it."
Kiilsgaard decided to call coach Jim Harbaugh and offer his services on the other side of the ball. He did it knowing that he might never get the opportunity to go back.
"It came down to, 'Do I wait and see if they want to move me?' or do I call coach and say, 'I'm ready to move. I'm game,' " Kiilsgaard said.
Harbaugh was open to the change.
Kiilsgaard had already proven ready for anything.
Last February, while vacationing with friends and family on Maui, Kiilsgaard was swimming off the beach at Kaanapali. He was getting ready to head in because the wind and waves were kicking up when he spotted a man and a small child being pulled by the waves toward an outcropping of coral rocks.
Kiilsgaard said he did not hesitate, tapping into lessons he was still in the midst of learning in a high school lifesaving course, a class taught by his dad, a former lifeguard.
"We were only about three weeks into the class," Kjel Kiilsgaard said. "We were just getting to some of the carries and saves and tows. We had just started to practice and work on them. For him to be called upon like that, it's just incredible to me that he pulled it off. His life was on the line too."
Kiilsgaard grabbed the girl first and swam her back to shore while her father clung to a rock. He then went back out, wrapped his arms around the chest of the man and brought him back to the beach.
"I was exhausted," Kiilsgaard said. "About halfway, I asked him to kick for me because it was exhausting."
When he got the father back to his family, the girl was crying and her mother was shaken. The family turned and left the beach without getting their savior's name, or really even a handshake.
"The dad was so tired, he was having trouble breathing and he was walking away and limping, grabbing his little girl," Kiilsgaard said. "I think they were in a state of shock. He might have glanced my way and tried to say thanks."
Kiilsgaard's friends witnessed the whole thing and he called his parents to tell them what happened. But when they came home, Kiilsgaard said he didn't intend on telling anyone what happened.
His high school baseball coach leaked the story to the local media in Seattle.
In May, Kiilsgaard was recognized as Auburn's 2007 Hometown Hero and honored in a ceremony with the city's mayor.
"That was something special that day and I've gotten way more attention that I ever thought would come from that," Kiilsgaard said. "It was a thing between me and my family. But when it got out, I'd be lying if I said it hasn't affected me to this day."
Kiilsgaard committed verbally to Stanford last Nov. 28, just a week before coach Walt Harris was fired and replaced two weeks later by Harbaugh.
He was rooting for Harbaugh from the start of the search and waiting anxiously for the new head coach to call him to re-confirm his commitment to the program.
"When I talked to him for the first time, I was convinced it was the perfect move and this is what I was going to stick with," Kiilsgaard said.
Kiilsgaard isn't sure yet whether this season means immediate playing time or a redshirt, or even whether he might ultimately get moved back to quarterback.
"If you asked any freshman if they wanted to play, I would say I would," Kiilsgaard said. "But if the learning process doesn't go as fast as it should, and the coaches think it's right, that will be the decision. Even if it's not this year, I know I can help."

This is getting weird/bad for OSU:

Questions remain after scrimmage
spacer.gif

By Cliff Kirkpatrick

Corvallis Gazette-Times

CORVALLIS — There are three unresolved issues for the Oregon State football team the rest of training camp.
• Coach Mike Riley must name Sean Canfield or Lyle Moevao the starting quarterback.

• A backup to tailback Yvenson Bernard must be found.

Wide receiver Sammie Stroughter must resolve his ongoing personal issues, or the Beavers have to move on without him.

Stroughter wasn’t with the team for the fourth straight day, missing the first scrimmage of camp Saturday in Reser Stadium.

Riley didn’t indicate when he will return.

Chris Johnson is being prepped to take his place at split end, and freshmen Darrell Catchings and James Rodgers may not redshirt, Riley said.

“It’s a big blow,” Moevao said of if Stroughter doesn’t return. “He’s such a big addition to our team.

“He’s always out here trying to get everybody motivated. He’s really a leader.”

Progress was made during the 114-play scrimmage to reach the first two decisions Riley must make.

Both quarterbacks had similar numbers, but Canfield was the only one of the two to lead the offense on a scoring drive.

Moevao completed 7 of 19 for 79 yards, while Canfield was 9 of 14 for 80 yards.

They looked smooth at times, but mistakes happened.

“There’s obviously a situation for them,” Riley said. “We don’t talk about it a lot. It’s there, it’s real. The competition for them is big. I’m sure there are some nerves. It’s good to practice with some nerves. There will be more on game day.”

It has been difficult for Riley to come to his decision. Stats and video have been taken at each practice for him to review, and he hopes to pick a quarterback early next week.

“I will tell you this,” Riley said. “I hopefully won’t do this again; go into fall camp like this. It hasn’t hurt our team. It was the right thing to do with these two guys. But I’m going to get this thing done soon.”

The quarterbacks are ready for a decision, too. Both say they will support whatever way Riley goes.

“It still seams pretty close to me with the feedback they are giving me,” Moevao said. “The fact he wants to hurry up and pick the starting quarterback is a great idea. Our offense can get use to playing with one of us and learn how we are playing and get that chemistry.”

Bernard and some of the other veterans didn’t participate in the scrimmage. That allowed plenty of work for running backs Andy Stewart, Patrick Fuller, Ryan McCants and Tony Carrasco.

Stewart was used at tailback for the first time. He’s usually the fullback, but Riley likes his consistency and pass blocking.

McCants, however, may not redshirt if how he was used is any indication. He carried the ball seven times for 22 yards, and caught it twice for 25 yards.

“Everyday Ryan McCants has stepped forward one more step,” Riley said. “I think he showed people today he has some stuff. It has been a steady, everyday improvement. When he knows what he’s doing and where he’s going, he has looked good doing it.”

Catchings led the receivers with seven receptions for 98 yards and a touchdown. He and Rodgers have impress Riley.

Both add depth to the receivers if Stroughter doesn’t play this year, and Rodgers can return punts for him.

“A week ago I would have said I wanted to redshirt both of those kids,” Riley said. “Today, I would say I’m not sure we can. I think they both can contribute to our team. I want to make sure I don’t blow their year with a backup role. They have to get in there and play.”

This ACL injury bug is rampant. Everybody should be practicing with knee braces.

Knee injury ends Holbert's season

By RYAN CALLAHAN
For The Tennessean

<!--ARTICLE BODY TEXT-->
KNOXVILLE — Tennessee senior tight end/fullback David Holbert, a former standout at Brentwood Academy, will miss the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, Coach Phillip Fulmer said Saturday.

Fulmer said Holbert will take a redshirt this year and return next season, a plan that already was being considered with Holbert buried on the depth chart behind senior tight ends Chris Brown and Brad Cottam.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=305 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
advertisement_300.gif
</TD><TD width=10 rowSpan=3>
1pix.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><CENTER><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> OAS_AD('300x250_1'); </SCRIPT>
</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>
1pix.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
"That's disappointing for us," Fulmer said. "He's done really well. Fortunately, he had a redshirt year left."
Holbert was carted away from the field with ice on the knee at the end of Friday's practice. Fulmer said Holbert was "hit in an awkward position."
Holbert spent the first three years at fullback behind longtime starter Cory Anderson. He has appeared in 34 games and made his only career start in the 2005 season finale at Kentucky.

Quiet receivers: Tennessee's revamped receiving corps didn't exactly have a breakout performance in Saturday's scrimmage.

Junior Lucas Taylor and freshman Gerald Jones led all receivers with three catches each, and tight end Brad Cottam finished with a team-high four receptions.

On top of that, receivers coach Trooper Taylor said the Vols' five newcomers at wideout had plenty of problems getting positioned at the line of scrimmage.

"I tell them, 'One that won't do it is no better than one that can't do it,"' Taylor said. "If I can't get you lined up, there's no need to teach you an assignment. You've got to be able to learn your alignment first to be able to do your assignment."

Simple switch: Senior offensive lineman Eric Young doesn't seem to be having any trouble making the transition from right tackle to left tackle.
Fulmer said on Friday that Young had "his best day since he's been here" on Thursday, and Young said he was pleased with his performance in Saturday's scrimmage at Neyland Stadium.

"I ain't going to brag on myself," Young said, "but I thought I had a pretty good scrimmage. Truthfully, when I first started practicing (at left tackle), I struggled with it a little bit. But as the days go on and I get more work in, I'm getting a whole lot better."

Starting lineup: Receivers Lucas Taylor and Austin Rogers, who opened the scrimmage with the first-team offense, were the only surprises in the starting lineup on either side of the ball.

As expected, Adam Myers-White replaced the injured Ryan Karl at strongside linebacker, while cornerbacks Marsalous Johnson and Antonio Gaines earned the start over freshman Eric Berry.

Ramon Foster and Chris Scott remained the starters at right guard and right tackle, the only two undecided starting spots on the offensive line.
"You could almost go and pencil in the 22 starters, but not everywhere," Fulmer said. "There's a few spots that are wide open."

Ground attack: Offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe said he feels better right now about the Vols' running game than he did at this point last season.

"Based on what we came into spring practice with and what we're doing now, the way our practices are designed, I think we're running the football better," Cutcliffe said.

Tailbacks Arian Foster, Lennon Creer and Daryl Vereen, the team's three leading rushers in the scrimmage, finished with 172 yards and a combined average of 4.6 yards per carry.

Team meeting: The Vols will have their first break from fall camp today, and Fulmer made plans for the team to spend the weekend together starting Saturday night.

Fulmer said the team would meet Saturday night at T-RECS, UT's student recreation center, to swim and have a cookout before attending church services together this morning. The rest of the day will be spent in meetings watching film of the scrimmage.

This is going to be a day or two until its official either way.

Jordin Lindsey is appealing a grade from one summer class. He is not elgible as things stand now. I am somewhat perplexed how a senior can let this happen. He has yet to practice with the team and he might not have all the talent in the world but he plays 100% on every play and if this is true, it is a loss to the Gamecock defense.

From a defensive impact point of view, this will have Casper Brinkley working at DE a little more often in special packages. Getting Dustin Lindsey back (3rd leading tackler in 05') gives the LB's more depth and gives the team more flexibility with Casper. They really don't like him covering so I would say on passing downs he will be rushing the passer at DE. One of the newcomers, Travion Robertson, Clifteon Geathers, and Cliff Matthews will be manning the DE spot opposite Norwood. Likely will see all 3 of these guys at DE. Also means DT/DE Johnathan Williams will get more work on the outside. Lindsey might of lost his position by the end of the yr but it def takes away some senior leadership on the defensive side of the ball and at the same time it is sad to see a senior in his last yr slip up like this. All signs are likely pointing to ineligible

Last edited:
Is it time for Sanchez to transfer? Maybe.

Sanchez out with a thumb injury

By DC Trojan Section: Football
Posted on Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 09:32:35 PM EDT

</I>

HT to Defender90 for pointing out the story on USCripsit.com's blog about Mark Sanchez and his thumb injury. The USCripsit.com blog post reads:

Quarterback Mark Sanchez has a hairline fracture in the thumb of his throwing hand, Coach Carroll said this afternoon.

The redshirt sophomore will be out at least three weeks, Carroll said. Sanchez hurt his right hand on a throw in Sunday night's scrimmage. "It's tough news," Carroll said. "But in the meantime, Michael McDonald and Aaron Corp will get a lot more work at the backup spot."

All that Scott Wolf has to say (as of 9.30 p.m. Eastern) is that Sanchez "is not practicing and has a taped right thumb."

I was just chatting with Paragon and he's not convinced that it would be a three week recovery from a fracture - that apparently is the time frame associated with a bad sprain. He's going to check with some folks tomorrow and will post later in the day.
Programming note: Paragon will be off-line until later tomorrow, and I will be without internet access all day (the horror) for the next three days, so look for posts at random hours. Thanks for your understanding.

Back