The Official New Orleans Saints Thread

Blue_Chip

Money Addict
<TABLE class=ctr cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=602 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="lg bold pad listSubHd" colSpan=5>REGULAR SEASON</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Sep 07</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
FB9A4B2828324B05A9AF3AFDD28F5BAF.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD><TD class=rosterBord>FOX
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Sep 14</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
377579853398400195C19A56E1CAB6A4.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ WASHINGTON REDSKINS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Sep 21</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
2A876D8640A6498B9D6DC8956C2E33CD.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ DENVER BRONCOS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>3:05PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Sep 28</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
98968C90F5B0478CAA39D6277C2147F0.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Oct 06</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
78AC3BCA19994E30BF7E42D4CB45B79C.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. MINNESOTA VIKINGS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>7:30PM
</TD><TD class=rosterBord>ESPN
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Oct 12</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
2E062779F114469899D7C7BE82D16151.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. OAKLAND RAIDERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD><TD class=rosterBord>CBS
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Oct 19</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
3AE3F40C8FA7469384ABCC83BB4E9DA7.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ CAROLINA PANTHERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Oct 26</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
6E4477FF25E8440EAE7130F3BE9B550A.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD><TD class=rosterBord>CBS
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Nov 02</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50> </TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>BYE</TD><TD class=rosterBord>
</TD><TD class=rosterBord>
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Nov 09</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
4EEB200093084BA38EDD71D4A0039396.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ ATLANTA FALCONS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Nov 16</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
E0624864EF0B4F2F9DCE1004B4E776DE.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ KANSAS CITY CHIEFS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Nov 24</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
C80F174B362B4A6A918869153F5E23FC.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. GREEN BAY PACKERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>7:30PM
</TD><TD class=rosterBord>ESPN
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Nov 30</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
FB9A4B2828324B05A9AF3AFDD28F5BAF.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Dec 07</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
4EEB200093084BA38EDD71D4A0039396.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. ATLANTA FALCONS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Dec 11</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
51F60E36696B4510B76D6AEF2232F6AC.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ CHICAGO BEARS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>7:15PM
</TD><TD class=rosterBord>NFLN
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Dec 21</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
2F873F608ACC4FA68312FFC928C8C7E5.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>@ DETROIT LIONS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rosterBord>Dec 28</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" width=50>
3AE3F40C8FA7469384ABCC83BB4E9DA7.ashx
</TD><TD class=rosterBord width=352>vs. CAROLINA PANTHERS</TD><TD class=rosterBord>12:00PM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
JR's Game-by-Game Analysis

Sept 7: Tampa Bay
The Saints begin their season on Sept. 7 at home against the Tampa Bay Bucs. It will be the first season-opening game at home since 2004, and you can bet the Dome will be rocking. The Bucs are a formidable challenge for the Saints. They are older than God at four crucial positions, QB, MLB, CB and WR, but they do have a little bit of young blood to help sooth the joints of their decaying roster. Barrett Ruud, a fourth-year linebacker out of Nebraska, exploded onto the scene last season as a tackling angler. He cleans up whatever the archaic Derrick Brooks leaves on his plate. The Saints would be wise to run the ball away from him. Aquib Talib, the Bucs’ first-round pick this year, was brought in to eventually replace Ronde Barber, though he’s good enough to make an impact immediately. I’m not sure if he’ll play much against the Saints in the season opener, but he might. Regardless, he’ll be a force that the Saints will have to deal with eventually. What New Orleans must focus on most in this game is the Garcia to Galloway connection. Over the years, no one has burned the Saints as badly as Joey Galloway. And it doesn’t matter who’s throwing to him either. Galloway could put up 150 yards receiving and two touchdowns against the Saints with Dr. John throwing him the ball. The Saints must figure out a way to stop him. But I have a creeping suspicion the likes of Jason David and Usama Young probably won’t get the job done. So to win this game the Saints’ offense must come out with guns blazing. I think they do and I think the crowd wills them to a season-opening victory. Saints 30 Bucs 21

Sept 14: @ Washington
The Redskins are going to surprise some people this year even though they made the playoffs in 2007. When you think of NFC powerhouses, do you think of Washington? Probably not. In fact, the Redskins even have trouble getting noticed in their own division. The pieces are in place, though, for the Redskins to do some quality work this season. They’ve got a young offense with playmakers everywhere. Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, Santana Moss, and Antwaan Randle El are all touchdowns waiting to happen. And they’ve got the emerging Jason Campbell to get everything started.
The defense is strong in the secondary with Sean Springs, Fred Smoot, Carlos Rogers and Leon Landry. London Fletcher and Marcus Washington provide adequate support at linebacker. Where they may be weak and where I think the Saints have the advantage is in the coaching department. This may be hard to believe, but none of Washington’s three primary coaches have ever coached their respective positions before! The offensive coordinator, Sherman Smith, has spent the past 13 years as a running backs coach with Tennessee. The defensive coordinator, Greg Blache, coached d-line for the past four years. And Jim Zorn, the head coach, has never even been an offensive or defensive coordinator! Are you serious, Dan Snyder? These guys are greener than the grass they’ll be playing on. Despite loads of talent, coaching inexperience will cause Washington to struggle early on and Sean Payton will take advantage. Saints take down the Redskins and improve to 2-0. Saints 28 Redskins 17

Sept 21: @ Denver
Denver coach Mike Shanahan is cocky. That’s the only reason I can think of that explains why Selvin Young is the best running back on Denver’s roster. You know what? It doesn’t really matter does it? My mistake. I shouldn’t be so naive as to question the legitimacy of the Broncos’ running game. Oprah could line up at tailback and gain 1,000 yards. Moving on... Though Denver always has a strong offensive running game, their run defense sometimes isn’t up to par. Last season the Broncos ranked 30th against the run. They didn’t do much to improve in the offseason either, waiting until the 5th round to draft a defensive lineman. So the question is will the Saints be able to exploit Denver’s weak run defense? Possibly. If they do, it’ll be an easy win for Drew Brees and Co. Something tells me they might struggle in this one though. I see a big day for Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall against an overmatched New Orleans secondary. Broncos top Saints. Saints fall to 2-1. Broncos 30 Saints 27

Sept 28: San Francisco
San Francisco is a bad team with a lot of good players. You would think they could win some games with guys like Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis and Nate Clements–all high quality NFL players. But for some reason they just don’t get the job done. The 49ers’ struggles stem from the quarterback position. Alex Smith is skating on paper thin ice right now. If he doesn’t start living up to his potential as the No. 1 overall pick, the man with small hands might be out of a job. What I want to know is why doesn’t Mike Nolan run him more often? His legs are what made him so effective as a college QB, so why won’t the coaches let him move around a little bit? What’ve they got to lose? He obviously can’t handle being a pocket passer. If he gets hurt, they might actually improve by default. As for they’re matchup with the Saints in Week 4, I don’t see them having much of a chance, especially if the Saints lose to the Broncos in Week 3. The Black-and-Gold will be returning to the Dome thirsting for fan support after two weeks on the road. Saints steamroll the ‘Niners and improve to 3-1. Saints 38 Niners 21

Oct 6: Minnesota
The Saints kick off the second quarter of their season in primetime Monday night football when the Vikings travel to the Dome in Week 5. The Vikings are a team on the rise. They’ve got the best running back in the league, a mammoth offensive line led by Steve Hutchinson, and the best run stopping interior defensive line in the NFL. Sounds like stuff-it-down-your-throat Steeler type football doesn’t it? By the way, has anyone noticed how good Steve Hutchinson is? Two years ago he anchored Seattle’s o-line and was, as we now can look back and deduce, almost solely responsible for Shaun Alexander’s league MVP. Then he signs with Minnesota and starts blasting holes for Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor, transforming the Vikings into the most feared running team in the NFL. To say he’s the best run-blocking guard in the league would be an understatement. Anyway, the Saints are going to have their hands full trying to stop Peterson. The obvious plan would be to stack the box and dare Tavaris Jackson to beat them. Seriously, can the Vikings not find anyone better than Tavaris Jackson to play quarterback for them? How about another Jeff George comeback? He still has a pulse right? So will the Saints go with the obvious or try something else? Odds are they’ll stack the box just like every other team did against the Vikings last season, and odds are they’ll give up at least 150 yards rushing just like every other team did against the Vikings last season. Adrian Peterson and Hutchinson are just that good. But that doesn’t mean they can’t win. Drew Brees and the receiving corps are going to need to show up big time in primetime for the Saints to beat the run-stuffing Vikings. I see it happening and I see a bibulous "Who Dat" nation cheering on a Saints win. Saints improve to 4-1. Saints 24 Vikings 17

Oct 12: Oakland
The Raiders have a young backfield in the form of JaMarcus Russell and Darren McFadden who have the potential to terrorize defenses for the next decade. Unfortunately, they also have the potential to terrorize Raider Nation for the next decade with inconsistent play and unrealized ability. Despite the talent they’ve got in their offensive backfield, this Raiders team will rely on its defense to carry it as Russell and McFadden mature. Pro Bowl cornerbacks DeAngelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha headline a strong pass-defense that ranked eighth best in the NFL last year. On the flip side, however, Oakland’s run-defense was ranked second-to-last in 2007. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out how the Saints’ offense will attack the Raiders in this Week 6 match up. Expect a heavy does of Reggie Bush, Deuce McAllister and Pierre Thomas. Once the running game has been thoroughly established, Brees will have the luxury of the play-action pass—a weapon even the best cornerbacks fall victim to. The Saints should have no problem putting away the Raiders in what will likely be a blowout. Saints win and improve to 5-1. Saints 38 Raiders 13

Oct 19: @ Carolina
After a three-game home stand, the Saints trade in the sweet stench of Bourbon Street for the crisp, clean air of Charlotte, N.C. The Panthers made several moves to improve their running game in the offseason, including the release of RB DeSean Foster, and the drafting of RB Jonathan Stewart and OT Jeff Otah. Stewart will likely battle fourth year pro DeAngelo Williams for the starting job at tailback. It’s no secret around the Panther’s camp that the biggest question mark entering the 2008 season is whether Jake Delhomme can regain throwing strength in his right arm after offseason Tommy John surgery. If Delhomme is healthy and producing as normal, the Saints should expect a competitive game. The Panthers and Saints have always played each other pretty evenly over the years and this game shouldn’t be any different. But if Delhomme’s arm turns into cooked spaghetti three games into the season like it did last year, Carolina will be up the creek without a paddle, or a quarterback. I’ve got a feeling, though, that Delhomme’s fiery Cajun spirit will carry him through a successful rehab and he’ll be back to normal by the end of training camp. Consequently, Delhomme will hook up with Steve Smith for 160 yards receiving and two touchdowns against the Saints and propel his team to victory. Saints fall to 5-2 after a loss to Carolina. Panthers 30 Saints 27

Oct 26: San Diego
It’s off to foggy London town for the Saints Week 8 "home game" against the San D-A-GO Superchargers. I think the NFL made a huge mistake moving one of the Saints’ home games to London. Of the 32 NFL cities, which city do you think needs the positive economic impact of a full eight-game home schedule most? Do I even have to ask? Anyway, as far as the actual game goes, the Saints will probably be about a touchdown underdog. San Diego has a relatively easy schedule leading up to this game with New England being their only real challenge through seven games. That means they’ll likely have a 6-1 record compared to the Saints 5-2. It’ll still be early in the season but the Powder Blues will be favored to win. The Chargers are good everywhere on their team. They’ve got a strong secondary led by Antonio Cromartie, an intimidating front seven captained by Shawne Merriman and Luis Castillo, and a high-powered offense with arguably the best running back in the league. The Saints will need outstanding performances from all of their playmakers to hang with San Diego for four quarters. The neutral field favors New Orleans who tends to play better on the road then at home (five of their nine losses last year were at home). But in the end, San Diego is the better team and will prevail in London Bowl 2008. Saints drop to 5-3 after a loss to the Chargers. Chargers 38 Saints 30

Nov 9: @ Atlanta
It’s a new season starting in Week 9. The Saints’ bye came in Week 8, essentially splitting their 16 game schedule into two equal eight game seasons. The second half begins in Atlanta. The Falcons are a fragile franchise in their current state. Things haven’t been all peaches and cream for the Dirty Birds lately, having been abandoned by Michael Vick and forced to settle for Joey Harrington most of last season. Add Bobby Petrino’s desertion onto the pile and you’ve got a veritable poo storm hovering over Hot-lanta. They are taking steps to rectify their precipitous collapse though. Drafting Matt Ryan was step No. 1 and the right decision to make. He’s a guy that can takes his rookie bumps and bruises now while the rest of the team is still trying to get back to legitimacy. Next year he’ll have the franchise’s respect because he will have suffered with them from day one. That’s when the Falcons will begin to see light at the end of the tunnel. But for now, the Falcons are a terrible football team with a snowball’s chance in hell to beat the Saints in Week 9. I won’t go into what strategy the Saints should use versus Atlanta because pretty much anything will work against them. New Orleans starts their second season with a win over the Falcons and improves to 6-3 on the season. Saints 38 Falcons 10

Nov 16: @ Kansas City
For the fifth straight week the Superdome will be empty on Sunday as the Saints travel to Kansas City to complete their AFC West opponent circuit. The Chiefs are a mediocre team at best right now. They drafted Glenn Dorsey and Brandon Flowers, two players who will surely make an impact, but maybe not immediately. (On second thought Dorsey will probably have eaten a couple of quarterbacks by Week 11 so I can’t say he’ll be a slow starter.) They exchanged Jarred Allen for a bunch of draft picks, essentially forfeiting their only legitimate pass rushing threat from a year ago. And their offense, usually centered around a dominating rushing attack, lacks any sense of talent on the offensive line. (Why else would it now be considered a reach to take Larry Johnson in the top five of your fantasy draft?) Did I mention Brody Croyle is their starting quarterback? The Chiefs are a young team with a lot of potential, but they’re still at least a year away. The Saints will have no trouble winning in Arrowhead and will improve to 7-3. Saints 30 Chiefs 7

Nov 24: Green Bay
Obviously, as I write this preview we are being smothered to death by the Brett Favre saga so I have no idea what type of team the Packers will be fielding in Week 12. They could be a unified squad, running roughshod over the NFC behind their long time leader Favre; or they could be a club in shambles, led astray by their hard-headed GM Ted Thompson who stubbornly still believes Aaron Rodgers is better than Favre despite the Packers 5-5 record. (Any idea who’s side I’m on?) It’s impossible to predict what will happen next at the quarterback position, so why bother dwelling on it. Let’s talk about the certainties on Green Bay’s roster. I know for sure they’ve got a strong offensive line that moves mountains for emerging star Ryan Grant. I know they’ve got a talented defense quarterbacked by A.J. Hawk and a formidable front four to rush the passer. And I know they’ve got a speedy corps of talented young receivers (and one rather old, but good one) who I’d rank as one of the top groups in the league. Yes, the Packers are set up well for a very successful season. If they could just find a quarterback with a little experience who knows what it takes to win games in the NFL, they’d be set. Too bad there’s nobody out there wanting to (re)join the packers with those types of credentials. I don’t know what type of team the Packers will be at this point in the season but I do know the Saints will be intimidating. New Orleans defeats Green Bay at home on Monday night to improve to 8-3. Saints 24 Packers 21

Nov 30: @ Tampa Bay
At this point in the season you’ve got to wonder who’s doing the quarterbacking for the Bucs. Will Jeff Garcia have lasted through 12 games or will someone from the Griese/McCown/Sims/Johnson camp be under center? It looks like Sims will be dealt sometime in the next month and you can bet if Garcia goes down, Griese will go down right along with him. (Nobody loves being on the IR more than Brian Griese.) So if Garcia’s 38-year-old body breaks down that leaves McCown, a guy who showed immense composure when leading the Bucs to a win against the Saints in the Superdome last year and Josh Johnson, a rookie from San Diego. Johnson made a name for himself at the senior bowl where he was the best passer on the field by far. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gruden hands him the reigns at some point during the season. Regardless of who is quarterbacking Tampa in Week 13, they’ll be tough to beat at home. I think the Saints suffer a let down after three straight wins and drop a close one to the Bucs. After 12 games the Saints are 8-4 and heading into the easiest part of their schedule. Bucs 28 Saints 24

Three-quarters of the way through the season my predictions thus far have the Saints sitting at 8-4, and 2-2 in the division. A .500 record in the division seems a little shaky at this point, but the good news is the team who has the best overall record wins the division. With the schedule setting up nicely for a relatively easy finish, the Saints should have no worries about getting enough wins to capture another NFC South division championship.

Dec 7: Atlanta
It starts with Atlanta. Now I understand the whole mantra that says on any given Sunday any team in the NFL can win regardless of how good or bad they’re record says they are. They must prepare as diligently for the Falcons as they would for the Super Bowl. After all, Matt Ryan could be hitting his stride and Michael Turner may be having a pro bowl year at running back. You never know. But realistically speaking the Falcons won’t pose much of a threat to the Saints at this point in the season. New Orleans, at 8-4, will be running diagnostics, making sure every part of their engine is operating like it should be as they head into the playoffs. Atlanta, likely sitting around 3-9, will be auditioning young prospects for next year’s team. The Saints cruise to an easy win over the Falcons and improve to 9-4 on the season.
Saints 30 Falcons 10

Dec 11: @ Chicago
If you can name one player on the Bears offense who will be drafted before the 8th round in your fantasy draft, I’ll make a case for the Bears winning this game. How rough is that if you’re a Bears fan? To know that your offensive production this season will rely on the collective talents of Rex Grossman, Matt Forte, and Brandon Lloyd—all guys who should only start in the NFL if there was some kind of league-wide The Replacements type player strike. Seriously, I feel bad for the Bears nation. What did they do to deserve Rex Grossman as the starter for a third consecutive season? Anyway, the only way I see the Saints losing this game is if the defensive team’s bus breaks down on the way to Soldier Field. Saints brave the conditions and emerge victorious with a win, improving their record to 10-4. Saints 21 Bears 3

Dec 21: @ Detroit
The Lions were very unbalanced last season. They had a great receiving corps with Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson and a strong armed quarterback in Jon Kitna. They also had one of the worst defenses in the league and an inconsistent running game.
Will they be the same type of team this year as they were last year? A lot of people are talking about Kevin Smith having the inside track for the starting RB position in Detroit. Smith, a diminutive third-round draft pick who lead the NCAA in rushing and scoring last season at UCF, will undoubtedly have the Motor City fantasizing about the next Barry Sanders. He doesn’t have much to compete against in the backfield either. Career waiver wire mainstays Tatum Bell and Aveion Cason are the only names I recognize on the Lions roster. As it relates to the Saints and this game, Detroit’s wide receivers will most certainly have the advantage over New Orleans’ cornerbacks. But the same can be for the Saints’ receivers. This one has the makings of a high-scoring affair. The Saints have a better all-around offensive arsenal though and it will lead them to a win over the Lions. Saints improve to 11-4. Saints 35 Lions 27

Dec 28: Carolina
Two years ago the Saints closed out their regular season with a meaningless game against the Panthers in the Superdome. They had already secured the No. 2 overall seed in the NFC and couldn’t improve or worsen they’re playoff positioning.
The Saints rested their starters for the nearly the whole game and Carolina, playing their starters all the while, won 31-21. Despite the loss fans exited the Dome that afternoon jubilantly screaming Who Dat and Black-and-Gold Super Bowl. It was an odd feeling to have just lost and still be celebrating, but it was exhilarating. I have a feeling we might be have the same type of game circumstances this season. If the Saints are 11-4 heading into Week 17 as I’ve predicted, it’s entirely conceivable that they will have already locked up the NFC South and possibly a first round bye in the playoffs. If that’s the case, Week 17’s game won’t matter and the Saints will rest their starters. Carolina will take advantage like they did two years ago and pull out a win over the New Orleans second-stringers. With the loss the Saints fall to 11-5 but begin preparations for the playoffs where they will look to return to the NFC Championship. Panthers 28 Saints 17

Last edited:
Lance Moore is the projected starter at WR ?? Shocked. Mind giving me your rundown on what to expect from this kid ??

Also , the denver running game is so good because shannahan is a weasel. The broncos offensive line spends the entire first quarter diving at defensive linemens knees. Those linemen then spend the last three quarters just trying to survive the game with their career ahead of them instead of making plays.

dont expect all that much from any WR except colston of course

I am a believer in Meachem... that is until he pulls his hamstring after four games like every Tennessee WR does once they go pro.

Lance Moore is the projected starter at WR ?? Shocked. Mind giving me your rundown on what to expect from this kid ??

That must just be the way ESPN has him listed because he is on the bubble. It's tough to make it as a pro WR when you're only 5'9" 190lbs.

According to the Times-Picayune (New Orleans newspaper):
"Wide receiver Robert Meachem is a vastly different player than he was a year ago. He'll figure into the wide receiver mix this year, which at this time shapes up as Marques Colston, David Patten, Devery Henderson and a handful of others. . . . Lance Moore will need to separate himself from other returners in camp this summer, or he won't make the final roster. Part of that is the Saints' desire to upgrade their return game; the other is the sheer number of good wide receivers in camp..."

<table width="560"><tbody><tr align="center" bgcolor="#f6f7f2" valign="middle"><td rowspan="4" valign="top">
8281.jpg
</td><td>[SIZE=-1] <!--- PLAYER NAME HERE ------> Robert Meachem [/SIZE]</td><td> <!--- TEAM LOGO IMAGE HERE ------>
nor.gif
</td><td>[SIZE=-1] <!--- Y!RK06 ------> 63 [/SIZE]</td><td>[SIZE=-1] <!--- AAV ------> 197.5 [/SIZE]</td><td>[SIZE=-1] <!--- Y!ADP ------> 16.4 [/SIZE]</td></tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#f6f7f2"><td colspan="6">[SIZE=-1] '07 Stats: <!--- 2006 STATS HERE ------> Missed entire season with knee injury [/SIZE]</td></tr> <tr align="left" bgcolor="#f6f7f2"><td colspan="6">[SIZE=-1] Lowdown: <!--- LOWDOWN HERE ------> Hampered by cumbersome knee troubles for the entire '07 season, Meachem surprisingly enters training camp with a chance to supplant David Patten as the Saints No. 2. The former Tennessee star's freakishly long arms, grizzly bear-sized paws, stature (6'0", 215 lbs.) and quickness are characteristics that could flourish in the Saints' air-friendly attack. The former first rounder's work ethic and offseason commitment drew high praise from head coach Sean Payton and quarterback Drew Brees. Healthy and with his swagger back, Meachem, as he told The Sports Exchange in June, feels that "everything is rolling now." He has the talent to be explosive but he must fend off veterans Patten, Devery Henderson and Lance Moore to become fantasy viable. Watch his progress in exhibition play closely.
Fearless Forecast (as starter): 50 receptions, 705 receiving yards, 14.1 YPC, 5 TDs [/SIZE]</td></tr></tbody></table>

Saints bolster offense at defense's expense

by Peter Finney

I don't like it.

It's not that a disgruntled New York Giants tight end, Jeremy Shockey, has a chance to become a Saints blessing for Sean Payton and Drew Brees.

It's more that the major problem facing the 2008 New Orleans Saints hits you right in the face.

In no particular order, it's defense-defense-defense.

My feeling is the Saints would have been better off holding on to the second-round and fifth-round draft picks they sent to the Giants simply in the event some trade possibilities surfaced during training camp.

My question is: How much more effective will Shockey make Payton's offense?

How much better would it be than the one that last season ranked fourth in the league, as Brees threw for more than 4,400 yards and 28 touchdowns?

For the defending Super Bowl champions, the trade was a no-brainer.
After Shockey broke a leg against the Washington Redskins on Dec. 16 and became a spectator during the Giants' surprising run to the championship, he apparently became a major "team chemistry" problem for Coach Tom Coughlin as he looked ahead to '08.

During minicamp last month, the tight end had a "heated exchange" with General Manager Jerry Reese.

Shockey refused his head coach's order to join his teammates on the practice field, even though all of his other injured teammates did.

Last season, the story is, Shockey was angered at the Giants for sending out signals they were better off without him in the lineup.

Before the broken leg, Shockey had complaints with the team, going public with the idea he should be used more as a receiver and far less as a blocker.

After Shockey went public after the season and demanded a trade, the Saints offered second- and fifth-round draft picks for a gifted tight end Payton saw up close in Shockey's rookie season, when the Saints' coach was the Giants' offensive coordinator.

On draft day, the Giants declined the offer.

On Monday, they accepted.

When retired Giants defensive end Michael Strahan was asked about his former teammate, whether he felt he was under-utilized in the passing game, he said: "Jeremy is a special talent. Sometimes, as a tight end, it's required for you to block. He's so competitive, he wants the ball every time. I can't fault him for that."

Then he added: "Jeremy was a great teammate. There's not a guy in the locker room who'd say, 'he's a jerk, I don't like him.' If you want to learn how to work hard, how to be intense, to believe you're the best and demand the best out of yourself, you just watch Jeremy Shockey."
Obviously, that's what Payton is banking on.

On the other hand, here's what Payton is looking at.

He's looking at a defense that gave up 14 rushes of 20 yards or more, that gave up 54 receptions of 20 yards or more.

Compounding these problems are offseason knee surgeries suffered by cornerback Mike McKenzie and incoming linebacker Jonathan Vilma, a prize free agent.

My feeling is the Saints, even though they'll be bringing in five defensive free agents and used their first three draft picks for defense, cannot get enough help across the board, up front, at linebacker, in the secondary.
One more thing.

The schedule makers did the Saints no favors this season.

They play their strongest home opponent, the San Diego Chargers, on Oct. 26 in London instead of the Superdome, a stretch in which they'll be away from home for five consecutive Sundays.

This for a team, in the middle of the season, in desperate search of a defense.

I'm doing some housekeeping and decided to clean up this thread.

I deleted the depth chart to avoid any confusion, but will post it again once final roster is made. With Skyler Green exploding onto the screen at camp, Moore's chances are looking slimmer and slimmer.

Positives are numerous as camp trudges along

Sunday, August 03, 2008
Peter Finney

JACKSON, MISS. -- It's a given the Saints have a decent shot to win the NFC South this season for an obvious reason.

Drew Brees is the best quarterback in the division.
By a long completion.

On a golden 97-degree Saturday afternoon, No. 9 was throwing 'em to the left, to the right, and up the gut.

As was the case last year, there was a drop here and there, but the message was the same: Brees is back, as good as ever.

The question is, as it always has been, since Coach Sean Payton's ballclub finished a disappointing 7-9 a year ago: Will a defense that ranked third to last in the league last season get a little closer to the offense, simply to give the offense a better chance to turn "Ls" into "Ws?"

The coach said "yes," the defense will be closer, more effective, that is, if his eyes aren't failing him.

"I think we'll be a lot better in the secondary," Payton said. "A lot better."

And, he suggested, he feels they'll be more effective in the other two areas, at linebacker and up front, because of one word: Quickness.

There were signs of this Saturday, when the No. 1s faced one another during a 10-play stretch. There was the kind of up-front penetration that was not evident last year, at least on a consistent basis.

While it was evident in a scrimmage, remember, it was a measuring stick based on a mere 10 plays, not four quarters.

We will not get a real answer until we're well into September to determine if a defense that last year gave up 245 yards per game, 32 touchdown passes, and 54 completions of 20 yards or better has made significant strides.

As far as mini measuring sticks go, the most impressive one Saturday belonged to Skyler Green, the onetime LSU hero trying to win his NFL letter as a kick returner/wide receiver.

On Saturday, Green came up with a 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and a 46-yard reception, a nice catch, but perhaps not as impressive as a sideline grab he made that was erased for his foot being a whisker out of bounds.

In no particular order, here's a rundown on some of the training camp positives.

-- Robert Meachem: The camp performance by the wide receiver has been what Payton expected last year from a top pick whose rookie season was clouded by injury. He has been running routes and making catches, not like someone who spent his rookie year as a spectator, rather like someone who played to his résumé coming out of college.

-- Sedrick Ellis: This year's No. 1 pick was late reporting, but quick in establishing himself as a force up the middle.

-- Jonathan Vilma: The prized free-agent middle linebacker, still in recovery mode after offseason surgery, has done enough in camp to suggest he's on schedule to move into a starting role.

-- Bobby McCray: Lured from the Jaguars by a sweet financial deal, the guy's quickness off the corner suggests it was money well spent. If the up-tick continues, he has the makings of a defensive force.

-- Jermon Bushrod: A huge (6 feet 5, 315 pounds) pick last year at offensive tackle, he's made steady strides as the backup to Jammal Brown at a position critical in protecting the quarterback.

-- Carl Nicks: Another large body (6-5, 343), the rookie offensive lineman had the draft credentials to go higher than Round 5, where the Saints felt he was a steal. He hasn't done anything yet to suggest he won't be.

-- Adrian Arrington: Another rookie, a seventh-round pick the Saints traded back into the draft to land, he has shown, so far, he may have the qualities to join the deep pool of receivers Payton has collected.

-- Usama Young: A third-round pick last year, who contributed primarily on special teams during his rookie season, has been impressive in coverage at a position in need of all the help it can muster.

So stay tuned.

Dec 11: @ Chicago
If you can name one player on the Bears offense who will be drafted before the 8th round in your fantasy draft, I’ll make a case for the Bears winning this game. How rough is that if you’re a Bears fan? To know that your offensive production this season will rely on the collective talents of Rex Grossman, Matt Forte, and Brandon Lloyd—all guys who should only start in the NFL if there was some kind of league-wide The Replacements type player strike. Seriously, I feel bad for the Bears nation. What did they do to deserve Rex Grossman as the starter for a third consecutive season? Anyway, the only way I see the Saints losing this game is if the defensive team’s bus breaks down on the way to Soldier Field. Saints brave the conditions and emerge victorious with a win, improving their record to 10-4. Saints 21 Bears 3

You have the Saint coming into soldier field in the wind, cold and possible snow and pitching a near shutout? Last time I checked we beat ya'll twice here in those conditions. Dome teams playing in cold cities don't mix in the final month.

Chicago 23, New Orleans 14

Plus, the game is at night. Gonna be cold as fuck. I remember when Urlacher cracked Vick a few years back at Soldier Field. Coldest game i ever been to. Had on 2 coats, gloves, scarf and a hat and was still cold.

You have the Saint coming into soldier field in the wind, cold and possible snow and pitching a near shutout?

I don't have the Saints pitching a near shutout, JR does. I think the Saints secondary is still in shambles. I would be happy with a 9-7 season and getting eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. JR has the lofty goals of the Aints going 11-5. I posted JR's analysis because he took the time to breakdown each game; I will provide info weekly on each opponent.

Wouldn't surprise me. I no longer set myself up to be disappointed like I did as a kid. I go into every season with the worst of expectations, so I am never disappointed. This season for instance, I would not be surprised if both Tampa and Carolina finished ahead of the Saints in the NFC South. Now, if Atlanta finishes ahead of the Saints, then I will become a Vikings fan.

Wouldn't surprise me. I no longer set myself up to be disappointed like I did as a kid. I go into every season with the worst of expectations, so I am never disappointed. This season for instance, I would not be surprised if both Tampa and Carolina finished ahead of the Saints in the NFC South. Now, if Atlanta finishes ahead of the Saints, then I will become a Vikings fan.

ditto

Ellis and Young are going to have to go at it themselves. I think we will be ok, but I certainly did not want this. So he'll be out until Week 4...

Sedrick Ellis facing the hype as Saints' No. 1 pick

As Reggie Bush stepped before a phalanx of cameras the other day, you could anticipate the questions.

The Houston Texans were in town for two days of scrimmages leading into Saturday's preseason game.

So. What about Mario, Reggie?
What about last season, Reggie?
Mario has the last laugh, right?

It was right out of a familiar playbook: Fleeting Fame for Another Heisman Trophy Winner.

When the Texans used the first pick in the 2006 NFL draft to take Mario Williams, a 6-foot-7, 291-pound defensive end, and passed on Reggie Bush, the All-Everything running back, most of Football America could not believe it.

How could you not take someone who seemed to score every time he touched the football, running the football, catching it, returning kicks?

What Bush did for the Southern Cal Trojans was so spectacular, his All-Rookie credentials, 1,523 all-purpose yards, in helping a team come within a victory of the Super Bowl, were barely acceptable.

But those accomplishments were far more impressive than what Williams had done for the Texans.

However, when Bush merely led his team in rushing as an NFL sophomore (Deuce McAllister bowed out with a knee injury three games into the season) for the no-defense 7-9 Saints, when Williams came alive to finish third in the league with 14 sacks, when he helped the Texans limit Bush to 34 rushing yards in what was billed as a 23-10 man-to-man victory, it was as if Bush had written his pro football requiem.
Well, here we are folks, year No. 3.

While there will be no regular-season Reggie-Mario showdown, the saga of the top two picks of '06 will be followed, in some quarters, as Packer-land will be measuring the exploits of Brett Favre in New York and Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

I'm watching Bush stand there this week talking about the "learning curve" faced by newcomers, about living up to expectations, and my thoughts went back to another draft, the draft of 1981, when the Saints owned the first pick and the New York Giants owned the second.

It also was a year in which Heisman winner, South Carolina running back George Rogers, and a highly rated defensive All-America, North Carolina linebacker Lawrence Taylor, were all but certain to go 1-2.

But in what order?

Bum Phillips, coach of the Saints, wasn't keeping any secrets.

"We're going to take the running back, " said Phillips, which was somewhat of a surprise, if only because he came up as a member of the Bear Bryant school, wedded to defense.

I remember asking him: Why George Rogers? Why not Lawrence Taylor?

"I'll give you a simple answer, " he said. "George can run to the right side or to the left side. Lawrence is an outside linebacker. If you play him on the left side, you can run to the right side. And vice versa. You run away from him."

As draft day neared, I remember getting a call from George Young, the Giants' General Manager.

"Are you sure Bum's gonna take Rogers?" he wanted to know.

"That's what he keeps saying, " I told him.

"I sure hope he sticks to his word, " said Young.
So what happened?

Rogers rushed for 1,600 yards as a rookie, had another 1,000-yard season and 900-yard season before he was traded to the Washington Redskins after his fourth year.
As for Lawrence Taylor, let's see, he was an All-Pro his first nine seasons, a three-time NFL Defensive Player of the Year, the guy who redefined the outside linebacker position.

In later years, I remember having breakfast with George Young. He laughed about Phillips suggesting you could "run away" from Taylor.

"LT was as much a defensive lineman as linebacker, " he said, scribbling on the tablecloth. "There were times he lined up all over the place. He drove offenses crazy because you always had to account for him, wherever he turned up. All good defenses begin up front, and that's where you'd always find LT. Creating havoc."

Which makes me believe, if there's one new face to play a major role in turning Sean Payton's Saints around, it's his No. 1 pick, Sedrick Ellis.

There's nothing to suggest putting a 6-1, 307-pound nose guard in the company of an LT, but first impressions have been highly impressive.

Payton calls Ellis "a quick study."

Linebacker Scott Fujita said, "he has a non-stop motor, looks like the kind of guy who'll be a good friend of the linebackers, just by making their job easier by keeping the offensive linemen occupied."

Jamar Nesbit, a guard into his 10th season, has been in some one-on-one action with Ellis on the practice field and come away with nothing but applause.

"From what I've seen on the practice field, " said Nesbit, "Sedrick reminds me of someone who could play the game like a Warren Sapp or a Booger McFarland, who played at LSU. Sure, the quickness is there, but I also like the way he uses his hands and the way his hips and feet work in unison.

"I think it helped having someone who coached in the NFL (Pete Carroll) as his college coach. He's still got plenty to learn, but the way he seems to be soaking up the mental part makes me believe that won't be a problem. I'll be surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a problem for the offense."

6-10 my ass. I will put money that things are better than that.....ALOT of money. Sure the defense sucked ass and the secondary will likely remain a problem. However, the scoring ability of this team is off the charts and the competition in the division is probably at its weakest point in many years. Atlanta is basically a rent-a-win home and away and I dont think we drop more than 6 the whole season. Sure injuries and issues abound but to say this teams goes 6-10 without reasoning is ridiculous.

And you two local guys and your low expectations need to snap out of it.
Payton will redeem himself after the way he mismanaged last year.
I have faith in the guy and I agree that atrocious defense will be much better, although it will still allow 20 ppg. I just expect the offense to average from 27.5-30 ppg easy. Man o man the only thing that can hold the Saints down is the spirits from that graveyard the Dome was built on top of.

i never said I expect 6-10. Counsler said 6-10. i was just saying I don't expect much production from the WRs outside of Colston. If we get production out of another WR it has to be Meachem.

I wouldn't get tickets if I didn't expect us to be one of the better teams in the NFC.

and I'm just used to losing so I'm never surprised when we F up

Pass rush was non existant, Pass D was awful. Texans didn't punt once.
I can't believe Jason David can get worse than he was last year.

Marques Colston made a sick catch. Offense started out slow but picked up.

Payton will redeem himself after the way he mismanaged last year. I have faith in the guy and I agree that atrocious defense will be much better, although it will still allow 20 ppg.

I have never been a fan of Sean Payton. I do not think he is a winning coach, and I do not think the Saints will win the big games with him as the HC. Stupid play calling and a one-sided mentality to football does not equal a good HC.

Also, Deuce being back made a huge difference for plays he was in today.

I'm definitely concerned if our defense plays like it did today even though we had Ellis and Vilma playing today.

Pass rush was non existant, Pass D was awful. Texans didn't punt once.
I can't believe Jason David can get worse than he was last year.

Marques Colston made a sick catch. Offense started out slow but picked up.

Offense will be top five again, but the defense will pull the Saints down again. There are two ways to beat a defense, pass or run. If we stop the run, we will still get beat because our secondary has to be the worst in the NFL. Jason David gave up 11 TDs out of the 30something the defense allowed last season, and it is evident that every team knows this. Notice who the Texans passing offense threw at early and often? Notice who was on the blown coverage that allowed the Texans first TD tonight? Notice who gave up two big first downs early?

yea, I was there, it was awful. He was getting booed badly each and every time. Tracy Porter, ill give some leeway but he didn't look all that sharp. We need a better pass rush. Whatever happened to Charles Grant and Will Smith???

Usama Young is going to miss 1 1/2 to 2 weeks

Shockey and McKenzie are probable for this weekend vs the Who Deys

Booger McFarland was brought into camp yesterday, he has not be signed.

Ok Blue easy trivia you prefer which of the following:
1) Ditka
2) Has-Let (it slip away again)
3) Payton

I understand our imbalance. Do you not remember the umm glory days when we kicked ass on defense and couldnt score 10? I realize feast one way and famine the other is not a Super Bowl combination but hell its not like we are trying to restore our dynasty. One playoff win at a time fellas.
And I realize some of the lesser guys are going all out on defense but we all know these pros entrenched on the depth chart play haphazardly during the preseason stretch. Not saying our defense isnt a huge concern just saying with Mckenzie and Yag playing with Roman its A HUGE STEP UP from the lineup we are putting on the field now.

One playoff win at a time fellas.

I hope so, P&G, but Tampa is the best team in the NFC South this season. Saints still have a top 5 offense, but Tampa has a balanced offensive attack to go with a good defense. If I were a futures bettor, I would lock up Tampa at plus money to win the NFC South.

Roman Harper is a beast, he's also friends with my sister. I should get her to come back to NO so I can become boys with him.

oh we also signed Lance Schulters because we aren't confident in Bullocks's health (and his ability). Kaesviharn (sp??) should be the starter if he can't get back on the field soon

RH is a freak for sure. football speed and power that can't be measured in the weight room or on the track.

i'll never forget "Rocky Stop". he gave the hit that puched the ball threw the endzone and won the game for bama in tuscaloosa. I had the biggest bet of my life on Bama -3.

fucked up thing is the line was 3.5 all week, and i would have never given 3.5 in that game. i was gonna tease the under and bama for everything i had, but when i called to place just before kickoff the line moved to 3 and i fucked up and took it straight. under was the play, ended up 6-3.

sorry i'ma homer, but Harper is someone the Saints better not give up.

Jeremy Shockey (leg) saw action with the Saints' first-team offense at Monday's practice.

"The plan is to get him in (Saturday's preseason game)," coach Sean Payton said. "He's in shape." Shockey has been limited to this point, but it appears he's nearing 100%. The Rotoworld Draft Guide has Shockey as the TE5, behind only Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Kellen Winslow, and Tony Gonzalez. Aug. 18 - 10:16 pm et

McKenzie and Porter will be starting tonight

:smiley_acbe:

The starters in the thid preseason game are usually the starters the coach has in mind for Week 1. Porter maybe a rookie, but anyone is an upgrade from Jason David. Mad Mike is a sucker for play action, so I still have my doubts about him.

It will be interesting to see how our crappy secondary handles one of the best WR duos in the NFL.

I didnt get to watch it, sounded nice on the radio though.

Marques Colston left Saturday's game in the first quarter with what the Saints are calling "bruised ribs."

Colston is a magnet for big hits, and left for the locker room after taking a shot in the first quarter. There is no indication the injury is serious at this point, and Colston watched the second half on the sideline. Reggie Bush also left with what is being called a "Charley Horse." Aug. 24 - 12:46 am et

With New Orleans Saints, it's just too soon to tell

by Peter Finney

So what about that hot football topic: Has the Saints' defense improved?

Let's see.

Last week, in the first half, the Houston Texans drove 80 yards, 74 yards and 50 yards to 17 first-half points.

Saturday night in Cincinnati, the Bengals, in the first half, drove to punt-punt-punt-punt and zero points.

I guess you can call that a move in the right direction.

But let's be honest. The two receivers responsible for more than half of the 4,100 passing yards quarterback Carson Palmer piled up last season did not play.

And let's be realistic. This time, it appeared Sean Payton's defense played with far more passion, far more energy, at least it looked that way, with Kevin Kaesviharn and Scott Shanle coming on the blitz, with Tracy Porter and Kendrick Clancy and Antwan Lake and Bobby McCray taking turns creating some chaos.

As for the question: Is the Saints defense ready to go?

We won't get the answer in Thursday's final preseason game against the Miami Dolphins.

One way or another, we won't get it until it counts, the following week against Tampa Bay.

As for the offense, if you're talking about the man in charge, the votes are in.

In three warm-up games, Drew Brees never has looked sharper. We don't know yet what kind of running game he'll have going for him, which he did not have last year.
But the way Brees is throwing the football, making decisions and getting excellent protection, he's going to be a handful for any defense.

Against the Bengals, in a 199-yard first half, Brees threw for one touchdown and could have had two more, had Marques Colston and Devery Henderson come down with the football.

He found 10 receivers and had four drops in going 14-of-22. He also had a long gainer wiped out by a holding penalty.

Yes, Drew Brees is ready to go.

To pose another question: Are the rest of the Saints ready?

They better be.

Looking back, I can't remember any Saints' schedule that places more emphasis on a successful getaway than the one that opens against the defending division champion Bucs, who went 5-1 against division foes last season.

I say this because, as mid-season approaches, Payton's club will be looking at what is perhaps the longest away-from-home break any team has been handed.

After the Saints' Oct. 12 game against the Raiders, they won't see the inside of the Superdome for 43 days, all because a home date against San Diego has been moved to London and is followed by a bye week.

For a franchise that got out of the box 0-4 a year ago, a similar start this time would be all but fatal.

The good news is this: There are no monsters among the first six opponents on a 16-game menu that has only one monster, the Chargers in Game 8.

For Payton, the obvious bad news is he'll be playing the top-heavy choice to win the AFC West in Wembley Stadium, not the Superdome.

So what about the first six?

Tampa Bay: For a while, it looked like the Saints defense would be opening against Brett Favre. But last year, 38-year-old Jeff Garcia was plenty good enough, as long as the Saints pass rush allowed him to throw to another senior citizen, Joey Galloway, now 36, who's coming off a third consecutive 1,000-yard season. Last time the Bucs showed up at the Superdome, they pretty much ended the Saints' faint playoff hopes with a four-point December victory.

Washington: When Hall of Fame Coach Joe Gibbs retired with a year remaining on his contract and a trip to the playoffs, Jim Zorn was handed his first head coaching job and inherited quarterback Jason Campbell, who threw 12 touchdown passes and 11 picks before going out the final month of a 9-7 season with a knee injury. Zorn is the sixth head coach since owner Dan Snyder bought the franchise in 1999. Many questions remain.

Denver: Seems like Coach Mike Shanahan and quarterback Jay Cutler are the only guys still around from a franchise that fired its defensive coordinator after one year, fired the GM and saw their top offensive coach leave for another job. Despite missing the playoffs the past two years, Shanahan has the owner in his corner. The Saints will be playing the Broncos a week after Denver plays the Chargers, who beat Broncos twice last year by a combined score of 64-6.

San Francisco: How about this? A year after the Saints popped the 49ers 31-10, they'll be facing quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan, who spent his first three seasons in New Orleans, instead of Alex Smith, the overall No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft. This was the work of incoming coordinator Mike Martz, who Coach Mike Nolan, entering his fourth season with a 16-32 record, brought in to juice up the offense.

Minnesota: There was a time the Vikings felt they'd be in the Super Bowl hunt with Favre, but now they'll have to do it with a much younger Tarvaris Jackson. This is a title contender that will rely on defense and the running of a top combo, Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor.

Oakland: The Dome figures to be rocking when the home defense faces the challenge of two well-known youngsters, quarterback JaMarcus Russell and running back Darren McFadden. How hungry are the Raiders? Hungry enough for a franchise that missed the playoffs the past five years, posting the worst record in the league, 19-61.

My message is simple: Forget about taking a stab at a 16-game season. Take a stab at what the record will be after the first six, when the Saints say goodbye to the Superdome for more than a month. It'll be more interesting that way.

got brees on my office fantasy team. go saints

lucky man. i think he could finish the #2 QB in fantasy this yr

Saints in the Super Bowl this year.Thank me later.

quit drinking that kool aid! i'll be happy with a 9-7 season and getting eliminated first game of playoffs. of course i would like more, but i am trying to mix optimism with realism because while my heart tells me deep playoff run, my head tells me 8-8 with no playoffs.

lucky man. i think he could finish the #2 QB in fantasy this yr

quit drinking that kool aid! i'll be happy with a 9-7 season and getting eliminated first game of playoffs. of course i would like more, but i am trying to mix optimism with realism because while my heart tells me deep playoff run, my head tells me 8-8 with no playoffs.

I am drinking that Kool-Aid.I can't help it. Hopefully our defense settles in because offensively I think we have 1 of the best.

Saints and Jags in the Super Bowl.

I am drinking that Kool-Aid.I can't help it. Hopefully our defense settles in because offensively I think we have 1 of the best.

Saints and Jags in the Super Bowl.

No one has ever argued that Brees doesn't run a top 5 offense, it is the defense that kills us.

Btw, Patriots cruise to another Lombardi trophy. Best coach + experience + talent + easiest schedule... hard to top that, Jax has the second hardest schedule.

Back