The Official New Orleans Saints Thread

No one has ever argued that Brees doesn't run a top 5 offense, it is the defense that kills us.

Btw, Patriots cruise to another Lombardi trophy. Best coach + experience + talent + easiest schedule... hard to top that, Jax has the second hardest schedule.

If the Pats go to the Super Bowl again I am boycotting the SUper Bowl. Good team and fun while it lasted but I am sick of watching them.Time for some new teams to make it.

Saints and Jags in Super Bowl. Will be the best game ever.If that happens Nawlins51 will be their - hopefully.

Good team and fun while it lasted but I am sick of watching them.

Why are PGA fans not saying the same thing about Tiger Woods? You cannot deny talent. Every year Belichick gets his assistants taken from him, loses players to teams that overpay for them, and yet the man is still in contention. It is because he is the best pro football coach to ever grace the NFL. If people could put aside their dumb-founded hatred, they would appreciate watching a man that will go into the HOF as the best coach ever.

Saints game will go on this Sunday versus Tampa!

The Superdome sustained only minor damage like broken windows and downed light posts. I believe certain parishes in the Greater New Orleans area are allowing residents back in, and I've heard Orleans parish itself will allow residents back in on Thursday. This could affect crowd attendance. Also, there is a good number of fans that travel in from MS, AL, and other parts of LA, and the evacuation and return to homes could affect the attendance as well. As far as the Saints mindset, I think they will be fine (not distracted) but I also doubt they play with extra motivation.

Saints game will go on this Sunday versus Tampa!

The Superdome sustained only minor damage like broken windows and downed light posts. I believe certain parishes in the Greater New Orleans area are allowing residents back in, and I've heard Orleans parish itself will allow residents back in on Thursday. This could affect crowd attendance. Also, there is a good number of fans that travel in from MS, AL, and other parts of LA, and the evacuation and return to homes could affect the attendance as well. As far as the Saints mindset, I think they will be fine (not distracted) but I also doubt they play with extra motivation.

That's good news :cheers:

Somebody figured it out. Gramatica misses the field goals when his holder wears his watch. Have you ever seen an NFL player wear a watch? :36_11_6:

Somebody figured it out. Gramatica misses the field goals when his holder wears his watch. Have you ever seen an NFL player wear a watch? :36_11_6:

That's not Weatherford's nice watch. He must use it for something in the game because when I see him at the poker tables, he has one of those big watches that all the athletes wear that probably costs $10K

Long Way To Go

With a loss dropping them to 3-4, the Saints head to London for a home game

Peter Finney

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Winston Churchill were still around to welcome the London-bound Saints to his country, he'd probably go back to some of the titles in his five-volume history of World War II in an effort to come up with a fitting greeting.

"After what happened to you folks on Sunday," Sir Winston would be telling coach Sean Payton, "I think 'The Gathering Storm' would be far more appropriate than 'Finest Hour.' "

Can't argue with that.

By the time you read this, the Saints will have touched down (possibly a poor choice of words) to begin preparations for next Sunday's "home" game against the San Diego Chargers in Wembley Stadium.

What the Carolina Panthers managed to do Sunday was turn a seven-hour plane ride into, let's say, what had to feel like a 14-hour journey of pure torture -- that is, if you choose to reflect on what went wrong in the worst whipping of the season.

A team that lost its first three games by a total of 10 points lost its fourth 30-7, mainly because the guys wearing white jerseys failed to show up in the second half.

By the time the Panthers extended a 13-7 halftime lead to 20-7, then 27-7, the storyline to this one had been etched in stone.

The Panthers' pass rush was dominant, forcing a hurried, harried Drew Brees into his worst performance of the season.

In 39 passing attempts, Brees was intercepted only once, but was fortunate he wasn't picked off at least another four times, as he spent the afternoon double-clutching, throwing off balance, never able to find his usual rhythm in the face of pressure that came from all sides.

"At halftime," Brees said, "I thought we were right there. Even at 20-7, I felt the same way, felt we were still in it. But, after my interception (that set up the 27-7 TD), the momentum had swayed so much, it was tough to fight back from there."

And that was only part of the story.

Returning a punt on the final play of the first half, Reggie Bush tore his meniscus in his left knee, not only knocking him out of the London game, but leaving his return this season up in the air.

Then there were the performances involving the return of a few high-profile players: receiver Marques Colston and tight end Jeremy Shockey.

Colston obviously was not himself after missing five games with an injured hand, coming up without a catch and with a couple of drops.

Shockey, meanwhile, reflected extended idleness as well, along with having to deal with Julius Peppers, Carolina's highly active defensive end.
In the first half, Peppers stripped the ball from the tight end, a fumble that led to a 40-yard drive that erased a 7-3 Saints lead.

In the fourth quarter, Peppers roared past Shockey to nail Aaron Stecker shy of a first down on a fourth-and-two try from the Carolina 3-yard line.
"I thought we got beat in every area," Payton said. "And for that, you've got to credit Carolina. We allowed the big plays, all the things that keep you from winning games. Starting with me, we've got to do a better job. Losing a divisional game is always frustrating, and it's tough to have to jump on a long flight after you don't play well."

For the Panthers (5-2), coming off their worst loss of the season at the hands of Tampa Bay, it was all sunshine and flowers, especially for Jake Delhomme, whose 122.3 quarterback rating doubled that of Drew Brees, at 61.0.

"We got embarrassed last week," Delhomme said, "and we came back and fought. We blocked well, and our receivers made some big plays."

That would apply to the always dangerous Steve Smith, who grabbed a 39-yard Delhomme strike in double coverage as he crossed the goal line. "Steve is so explosive and fast," Delhomme said. "He's a stud. That's a saying I heard from a coach a long time ago: 'You got a stud, you feed him.' "

For Payton, Sunday's loss, and the possible extended loss of Bush, obviously leaves the path ahead strewn with thorns. Even if the 3-4 Saints manage to beat a 3-4 San Diego club also fighting problems of its own, Payton will be facing three road games -- Atlanta, Kansas City and Tampa Bay -- in four outings following a bye week.

Which means there will be little margin for error for any of you still thinking playoffs.

More and more, after the events of Sunday, as Churchill would have put it, the road ahead looks more like a "Gathering Storm" than anything else.

I'm on my Saints +1 tomorrow. Brees/Payton off a bye week should be good for gameplan. I don't know the Saints record ATS off a bye week but I would assume it is good. I think the Saints are a great situational team. The only other time I bet them this season was a textbook definition of a bounce back spot vs 49ers.

I'm on my Saints +1 tomorrow. Brees/Payton off a bye week should be good for gameplan. I don't know the Saints record ATS off a bye week but I would assume it is good. I think the Saints are a great situational team. The only other time I bet them this season was a textbook definition of a bounce back spot vs 49ers.

Good deal Chip. Not trying to be a homer but I like them too. Had time to heal and should be ready to go.

Chip I really believe Grant or Smith will not be with us next season. Infact I think its time we move on from one of them.I was kinda hoping we would give Dhall a shot or sign KGB for a year and see if a new team sparks his career.Just wanted to hear your opinion on this.

Chip I really believe Grant or Smith will not be with us next season. Infact I think its time we move on from one of them.I was kinda hoping we would give Dhall a shot or sign KGB for a year and see if a new team sparks his career.Just wanted to hear your opinion on this.

I think when we signed Bobby McCray, we should have been planning to deal Grant or Smith. With that huge contract they just gave Smith, I doubt Smith is the one to go. And, if the organization liked Grant so much, I don't see why we're paying McCray $5M a year to play. I dislike the management on this team. My friends can't understand why I want Sean Payton gone. He is horrible with clock management, but to his credit I will say that he seems to be one of the better "players coach" in the league.

I have some very radical ideas for the Saints if you really want to hear them. Obviously, Brees should be with the team until the day he retires because I truly believe he is the best QB in the NFL right now. I think we need to deal Bush AND Deuce while both have value. Deuce is an injury liability and Bush cannot be used to his full potential with the Saints. I think Stecker and Thomas would do fine sharing the laod at RB, but I think we need to get more depth on that OL and bring in some new faces to create competition. I think the OL is much better at pass blocking than run blocking, which suits Payton fine because that fucker likes passing all three downs and conducting a series of 3 & out that take :33 off the clock. I think we are fine at WR with Colston and Patten. Moore developing and Henderson as a deep threat. We do not use our TE enough and I think Mark Campbell is more than sufficient to be our starter. The Shockey move was stupid because that fuck can't get out of bed without pulling a muscle. We need to totally revamp the defense. If we are going to continue to run the 4-3 under Gibbs, then we need another DT beside Ellis. Lake has shown potential but not consistency. We should be set at DE, but the three stooges we have there are so hot and cold I never know what to expect. Our LB corps has been stuck in mediocrity since the years of Mark Fields. I think Vilma can still play and serves as a great seasoned player to flank with fast OLBs. Even though he is a fan favorite, I don't see Fujita being great (nor Shanle). Our secondary is obviously laughable. Porter is trying hard and has potential but is a season or two away from being good. McKenzie is still the biggest sucker for the play action. Kaesviharn cannot help Harper like I thought he could, and I am starting to think Harper might not be all that. Lastly, Payton should be embarrassed with our special teams. This is the NFL and the Saints are scrambling around trying to find a kicker and punter like this is college ball where you walk around campus looking for some kid with a great leg. We knew the history of Gramatica. Melhaff didn't work out but if he was worthy of a 6th round draft pick, then Payton should have had the faith to start him to begin with. Maybe since NYG loves Carney they can send us Tynes? Or we could just get Carney back since we shouldn't have cut him in the first place.

We are seeing another Haslett era. Playoffs first year then mediocrity for years after that. Payton is loved because of his first season serving as a resurrection of the city after Katrina, but I'm not sentimental. I'm a cold hearted prick and that's probably why Belichick is one of my favorite sports figures. I don't care what we did two years ago. I want to see improvements now. We knew defense was a concern, yet who was our biggest acquisition: Shockey. And we've seen how much that loud mouth has contributed... not to mention he looks like a Japanese cartoon character with that stupid haircut. Also, injuries have plagued us this year. Let see if we can overcome that and succeed. Close games to Washington and Denver ruined early season hype, now it's time to push for the playoffs in this season of parity.

I think when we signed Bobby McCray, we should have been planning to deal Grant or Smith. With that huge contract they just gave Smith, I doubt Smith is the one to go. And, if the organization liked Grant so much, I don't see why we're paying McCray $5M a year to play. I dislike the management on this team. My friends can't understand why I want Sean Payton gone. He is horrible with clock management, but to his credit I will say that he seems to be one of the better "players coach" in the league.

I have some very radical ideas for the Saints if you really want to hear them. Obviously, Brees should be with the team until the day he retires because I truly believe he is the best QB in the NFL right now. I think we need to deal Bush AND Deuce while both have value. Deuce is an injury liability and Bush cannot be used to his full potential with the Saints. I think Stecker and Thomas would do fine sharing the laod at RB, but I think we need to get more depth on that OL and bring in some new faces to create competition. I think the OL is much better at pass blocking than run blocking, which suits Payton fine because that fucker likes passing all three downs and conducting a series of 3 & out that take :33 off the clock. I think we are fine at WR with Colston and Patten. Moore developing and Henderson as a deep threat. We do not use our TE enough and I think Mark Campbell is more than sufficient to be our starter. The Shockey move was stupid because that fuck can't get out of bed without pulling a muscle. We need to totally revamp the defense. If we are going to continue to run the 4-3 under Gibbs, then we need another DT beside Ellis. Lake has shown potential but not consistency. We should be set at DE, but the three stooges we have there are so hot and cold I never know what to expect. Our LB corps has been stuck in mediocrity since the years of Mark Fields. I think Vilma can still play and serves as a great seasoned player to flank with fast OLBs. Even though he is a fan favorite, I don't see Fujita being great (nor Shanle). Our secondary is obviously laughable. Porter is trying hard and has potential but is a season or two away from being good. McKenzie is still the biggest sucker for the play action. Kaesviharn cannot help Harper like I thought he could, and I am starting to think Harper might not be all that. Lastly, Payton should be embarrassed with our special teams. This is the NFL and the Saints are scrambling around trying to find a kicker and punter like this is college ball where you walk around campus looking for some kid with a great leg. We knew the history of Gramatica. Melhaff didn't work out but if he was worthy of a 6th round draft pick, then Payton should have had the faith to start him to begin with. Maybe since NYG loves Carney they can send us Tynes? Or we could just get Carney back since we shouldn't have cut him in the first place.

We are seeing another Haslett era. Playoffs first year then mediocrity for years after that. Payton is loved because of his first season serving as a resurrection of the city after Katrina, but I'm not sentimental. I'm a cold hearted prick and that's probably why Belichick is one of my favorite sports figures. I don't care what we did two years ago. I want to see improvements now. We knew defense was a concern, yet who was our biggest acquisition: Shockey. And we've seen how much that loud mouth has contributed... not to mention he looks like a Japanese cartoon character with that stupid haircut. Also, injuries have plagued us this year. Let see if we can overcome that and succeed. Close games to Washington and Denver ruined early season hype, now it's time to push for the playoffs in this season of parity.

Good shit Chip. I agree with everything except Bush.I like Bush.I get so mad at him at times but he has the potential to do great things on any play. So I say keep him. Defense needs to be revamped starting with Gibbs. It goes Back to Jason David. If you play man to man why go out and sign a cover 2,etc corner. David is not a lock down CB but lets throw him to the wolves.See how that turned out. Gibbs must go if Payton is staying. We did get another DT. Don't forget about Pressley out of NC State I think we drafted this year and put on IR. He is a great DT and some mocks even had him going late 1st round.We stole this guy.He will be a good one. We just need a solid DE that brings it every game and a WLB. I think if we get a good weakside LB it would make Vilma and Fujita that much better. This is also meaning Sed and Pressley are a factor next season. If those are a big problem in the middle then the double teams will come which should allow an average DE to create havoc and the secondary to be great. I like Porter too and think he will be solid. Young I think has potential but safety wise we are a fucking joke. That should be our #1 priority in the draft unless we can find one in free agency that is young and solid.

our Offensive line is so bad. just plan fucking awful, i cant believe no one ever points it out. sure drew brees doesnt get sacked but its not because the line is helping him out

what a joke of a line. jammal brown has disappeared, what happened to our pro bowl LT, got a bunch of no names and brown

Back