The free agent frenzy begins

Joe Public

Gabibbo's Finest
It's begun, and the Rangers are dropping tons of cash.

Daniel Briere
goes from Buffalo to Philly

Chris Dury goes from Buffalo to NYR

Scott Gomez goes from NJ to NYR

Matthew Schnider
goes from Detroit to Anaheim

Jason Blake
goes to Toronto

Joe Public
remains unsigned.

Philly had some earlier signings as well. This is a great offseason to have some money to spend! Briere is a great fit in philly!

Being that I hate the Flyers, I don't like that deal.

That said, I like Briere, and I begrudgingly admire and respect the Flyers for going after him.

All I can say is that Gomer has been all over the local news up here in Anchorage and is happy as hell with the new deal!! Especially with Drury on board since they have a history together -- Gomer said they were text messaging each other all day on how things were going and fighting over who would get #23!!

Ugh, the Rangers. Potentially good.

The only thing that's worse is that the Flyers could be so as well.

Still, the '94 Rangers not withstanding, I don't believe you can buy chemistry.

Go Pens.

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Calgary Flames signed forward Owen Nolan to a one-year deal contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:10pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Anaheim Ducks have signed forward Todd Bertuzzi to a two-year, $8-million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:04pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Montreal Canadiens have signed forward Bryan Smolinski to a one-year, $2-million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6:36pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Atlanta Thrashers have signed defenceman Ken Klee to a multi-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6:08pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Nashville Predators have signed forward Radek Bonk and defenceman Greg de Vries to two-year contracts.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:36pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Chicago Blackhawks signed centre Robert Lang to a two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:13pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Montreal Canadiens signed defenceman Roman Hamrlik to a four-year contract worth $22 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4:51pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Washington Capitals signed centre Michael Nylander to a four-year contract worth $19.5 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4:00pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Los Angeles Kings signed defenceman Tom Preissing to a a four-year contract worth $11 million, centre Michal Handzus to a four-year, $16-million contract, winger Kyle Calder to a two-year, $5.4-million contract and winger Ladislav Nagy to a one-year deal.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

12:36pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Vancouver Canucks have signed Lukas Krajicek to a two-year contract worth $2.2 milion.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11:57am et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Forward Bates Battaglia has signed a two-year deal with Toronto worth $650,000 per season. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11:13am et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Nashville Predators have signed free-agent forward Jed Ortmeyer to a two-year contract worth $1.5-million. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1:18am et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Pittsburgh Penguins signed winger Petr Sykora to a two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1:02am et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Pittsburgh Penguins signed defenceman Darryl Sydor to a two-year, $5 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

July 1

11:48pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The St. Louis Blues sign winger Paul Kariya to a three-year, $18 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11:05pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Colorado Avalanche have signed winger Ryan Smyth to a five-year deal worth $31.25 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8:36pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The New York Islanders have signed winger Jon Sim to a three-year deal.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8:22pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Colorado Avalanche have signed D Scott Hannan to a four-year deal worth $18 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8:21pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed G Dany Sabourin to a two-year deal worth $1.025 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:59pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Washington Capitals have signed forward Viktor Kozlov to a two-year deal worth $5 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:47pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The New York Rangers have signed forward Chris Drury to a five-year deal worth $35.25 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:34pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The New York Rangers have signed forward Scott Gomez to a seven-year deal worth $51.5 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:32pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed winger Jason Blake to a five-year deal worth $20 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6:34pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Atlanta Thrashers have signed forward Eric Perrin to a two year deal worth $1.5 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6:03pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed unrestricted free agent right winger Michel Ouellet to a two-year deal worth $1.2 million and $1.3 million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:59pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Carolina Hurricanes agree to a two-year contract worth $800,000 per year with forward Jeff Hamilton.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:41pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Florida Panthers have signed forward Radek Dvorak to a two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:14pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Boston Bruins have signed free-agent right winger Shawn Thornton to a multi-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4:41pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Forward Yanic Perreault agrees to terms with the Chicago Blackhawks on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4:01pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Defenceman Brian Rafalski agrees to a five year, $30 million contract with the Detroit Red Wings. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3:57pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Calgary signs defenceman Cory Sarich to a five year, $18 million deal worth an average of $3.6 million per year.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3:48pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Daniel Briere has signed with the Philadelphia Flyers for eight years and $52 million. The deal includes a no movement clause. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3:38pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Edmonton Oilers have signed free agent defencemen Dick Tarnstrom and Denis Grebeshkov to one-year contracts. Details to follow.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2:49pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Anaheim signs defenceman Mathieu Schneider to a two-year deal paying him $5.5 million and $5.75 million. .</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2:24pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Florida Panthers sign forward Richard Zednik to two-year deal, $3.25 million contract and forward Brett McLean to three-year, $5.1 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2:17pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Washington Capitals sign D Tom Poti to four-year, $14 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1:47pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Atlanta Thrashers sign C Todd White to four-year, $9.5 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Real surprised to see Colorado become a player in the Smyth sweepstakes... good balanced team, surprised me last year while they didnt make the playoffs, played well.

Also surprised to see Kariya go to St Louis...

Depending on what happens to a couple of their guys, Anaheim could have gotten better... with Bertuzzi and Scneider coming aboard

Interesting to see what happens with NYR. While I do like the signings, losing Nylander is a big deal for me, from a team chemistry stand point. I'm not sure that that won't come back and bite them in the ass.

Anaheim getting stronger and Wings weaker from a first glance.

I like the moves, including the draft, that the Pens have done so far. They will be good next year.

Note to self: Look for UNDER plays with the Blues early in the year. Yes, 5 is acceptable at + money, even 4.5 against the right opponent.

Two rookies I will watch closely this year:

Alexei Cherepanov, NYR (17th).
Problem getting out of Russia potentially, but if they do, oh wow. NYR can become very good if they can gel as a team.

Angelo Esposito, PIT (20th).
Unreal that he fell to 20. I think he'll only make an already stacked young team even better...

I like Backlund to the Flames too... could give them a little offense. I doubt he'll be ready for an 80 point season, but maybe Calgary can score a little bit more.

hmmm... just read that Cherepanov has promised Omsk another year...

anybody have more info on that?

He just doesnt have a 'transfer agreement' from the Russian league to the NHL right now.

Headaache for all the GM's but with his talent it was worth the risk of an early pick IMO. One could still be reached and from what I gather is being worked on

Yeah, I think an agreement will be reached shortly, but from what I saw it seems that he has agreed to stay, even if the agreement gets done... going to be interesting...

we knew the window in Buffalo was a small one, but this firesale is something else... not that I feel bad or anything, couldnt have happened to a nice guy in RUff

The New Jersey Devils have signed centre Dainius Zubrus to a 6-year contract.
Acquired at the trade deadline in February in a deal with Washington, Zubrus had four goals and four assists in 19 regular season games with Buffalo. He added eight assists in 15 playoff games, helping lead the Sabres to the Eastern Conference Final.
A 10-year NHL veteran, Zubrus completed the final year of his contract and was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
The 29-year-old has played 689 career NHL games with the Sabres, Capitals, Montreal Canadiens and Philadelphia Flyers, scoring 138 goals and 360 points.
Related Info

More to follow

I feel bad for Buffalo. The CBA and salary cap should have really helped that team, but you can't prevent owners from purging a roster if that's what they want to do.

Other than that, I totally missed the Pens signing Syorka, Sydor and that goalie. They're loading up. I like it. Kids at the front, grizzled vets on the blueline--and Gary Roberts.

Long live the Penguins.

Sad to see Smyth end up in Colorado, I really wanted to see him north of the border. But it looks like they'll get a great transition from Sakic to Smyth as the leader of that team. Good move for them, I think.

I also like Owen Nolan going to the Flames, I wonder how much he's got left. Sadly, with Keenan there it's tough to expect anything but a trainwreck in the Saddledome.

Speaking of the CBA I love the fact that the public perception through most hockey outlets is that this new agreements isnt working for what Bettman touted it as. He stuck on a couple key points and even with the salary cap teams are in the ballpark of 7 mil, long term deals, while others are in sell off mode, getting rid of balance and having marketable teams reap the rewards.

Nolan wont have much, he's too injury prone and hasnt dont much in years.

Pitt signed a reliable back up who can go in and be a decent #1 should an injury happen or anything.

Avs signed him for just that, Sakic doesnt have much left in hiim

I do like the Leafs signing Blake, and hoping he can live up to the scoring winger Sundin needs, not to mention replace Peca on the PK

Isles will struggle to win 35 games next year IMO. (sorry Lute)

Isles will struggle to win 35 games next year IMO.

I think you might be right, tough luck there. They really needed to keep their guys and let Nolan build on his success. Not much chance of that now.

I liked Blake to Toronto, but they need more than that, Santa, they just do.

As for Bettman and the CBA, if the NHL slowly reverts back into a baseball-like system where the haves, have, and the have-nots sell players off every year at the deadline, in a few years you'll start seeing teams fold about once a season, including some Canadian clubs. This deal was supposed to save the NHL, but if a lot of it is smoke and mirrors, this league is on borrowed time.

Losing Poti is / was huge... not to mention Blake. Agree though, the Leafs need more. THey have some young guys in place but not enough to compete for a title or anything.

Hope you arent right about the league on borrowed time, but something needs to be done and Bettman needs to leave and bring in somebody who understands the economic structure. The whole NHLPA thing is messed up and puts a cog in everthing to date. I think the cap 'will' work, its the revenue sharing / structures that are in place with the CBA is where the system doesnt work IMO

July 3

8:50pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Los Angeles Kings have re-signed goaltender Jason LaBarbera to a two-year contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:45pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Los Angeles Kings have signed defenceman Brad Stuart to a one-year, $3.5-million contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:24pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed defenceman Brad Lukowich to a three-year contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

7:18pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Edmonton Oilers have re-signed winger Raffi Torres to a three-year $6.75-million contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6:05pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Vancouver Canucks have signed goaltender Curtis Sanford to a one-year $600,000 contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:15pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Eric Belanger has agreed to a three-year deal with the Minnesota Wild worth $5.25 million. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4:52pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Anaheim Ducks have signed F Brad May to a two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4:50pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Edmonton Oilers sign goaltender Mathieu Garon to a two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3:20pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The New Jersey Devils have signed forward Dainius Zubrus to a US$20.4 million, six-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3:15pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Columbus Blue Jackets have signed forward Jiri Novotny to a two-year deal.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1:16pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Vancouver Canucks sign forwards Byron Ritchie and Brad Isbister.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11:50pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Detroit Red Wings re-sign Dominik Hasek to a one-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8:34pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The New York Islanders sign Mike Comrie to a one-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

8:33pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Buffalo Sabres sign goaltender Jocelyn Thibault to a one-year deal.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:50pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>The Anaheim Ducks signed defenceman Shane Hnidy to a two-year contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5:34pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>New York Islanders sign forward Bill Guerin to a two-year, $9 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4:20pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Montreal Canadiens sign defenceman Jamie Rivers to a two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1:18pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>New Jersey Devils sign goaltender Kevin Weekes to a $1.375-million, two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

12:18pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Calgary Flames sign defenceman Anders Eriksson to a two-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11:33am et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Columbus Blue Jackets sign defenceman Jan Hejda to a one-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

July 4

4:00pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Buffalo Sabres sign defenceman Teppo Numminen to a one-year, $2.6 million contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2:00pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>New York Islanders sign forward Ruslan Fedotenko to a one-year, $2.9 million contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

12:30pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Atlanta Thrashers sign forward Slava Kozlov to a three-year, $11 million contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10:30am et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Montreal Canadiens sign forward Tom Kostopoulos to a two-year, $1.8 million contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

surprised to see Guerin end up on the island for that much cash, after losing a couple key guys... well nothing really 'surprises' me with the Islanders, but still kind of overpaid for 2 guys IMO

July 10

2:00pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>New York Rangers re-sign forward Brendan Shanahan to a one-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

12:10pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>New Jersey Devils sign defenceman Vitali Vishnevski (2006-07: Atlanta Thrashers) to a three-year, $5.4 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

July 9

4:20pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Vancouver Canucks sign defenceman Aaron Miller (2006-07: Los Angeles Kings) to a one-year, $1.5 million contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

10:30am et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Detroit Red Wings sign winger Dallas Drake (2006-07: St. Louis Blues) to a one-year contract. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

July 6

6:00pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Dallas Stars sign left wing Brad Winchester (2006-07: Edmonton Oilers) to a one-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2:50pm et

<TABLE class=one width=627><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Minnesota Wild sign defenceman Sean Hill (2006-07: New York Islanders) to a one-year contract.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Back