Free agent / off season moves

4:18 Marian Hossas' preference is to sign with the Detroit Red Wings but they are believed to be offering the least amount of money. Rangers making a late push. EDM, CHI, SJ, Bos, Van have made offers.

4:22pm ET - Word is Hawks close to trading Nikolai Khabibulin to Kings, meanwhile Kings just got Denis Gauthier from Philly.

BREAKING NEWS:
The Toronto Maple Leafs have signed defenceman Jeff Finger to a four-year deal worth $3.5 million a season, and goaltender Curtis Joseph to a one-year, $700,000 contract. Details to follow.

Cujo's back.

Well he's a step up from Raycroft, even at this stage of his career.

dang what an interesting summer it has been with all these signings, hawks pick up huet and campbell...and the bolts with huge splash...not so bad, although we just pulled a normal move by mlse and overpaid another defencemen..hopefully, and this is hoping, ron wilson's specialty is defence, hoppefully he can teach finger, and for that matter our entire d core, defence..and the rangers have overpaid mr redden :)

i don't mind the hagman signing, as he is quick and can play on the PK..now go get us another winger!

GSRO - agree, I do 'like' both players but Finger is severely overpaid for a stay at home defenseman... but the one plus is both are young and hopefully the front office sticks to this line of thinking and avoids going after guys who are past their prime, like in all the years past

GSRO - agree, I do 'like' both players but Finger is severely overpaid for a stay at home defenseman... but the one plus is both are young and hopefully the front office sticks to this line of thinking and avoids going after guys who are past their prime, like in all the years past
couldn't agree with you more..i guess fletch saw somethign in him and really didn't want him to get away...the thing that bugs me though is that even finger was surprised that he was getting that type of money ugh..but lets hope ron can do something with our d, they are relatively young and should learn quick..and that's what i'm hoping for with mccabe..

McCabe Kaberle
Schenn Kubina
Finger White

Doesn't seem that bad...maybe even mccabe and schenn and kaberle kubina..but now we have an extra dman to be traded...i think carlo's days as a leaf are numbered as well..

http://sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/07/02/canucks_signing/

Vanouver just signed Ryan Johnson...

but the canucks don't need anymore defence, they lack the offence and need to sign some players with some socring touch..with naslunds prodcution down and morrison more than likely gone...sedin twins can't do it by themselves.....gillis is really screwing this one up by throwing all his marbles and banging on Sundin and signing less of the better players available..and now he must choose from the leftovers

also what do you guys think of emery landing in washington? both kolzig and huet are gone and all they have left is johnson..imo if they want to go somewhere johnson isn't the answer and eemery seeems like a logical pick..don't like the guy, but when he's on his game pretty good goalie

Damnnnn

It's Reported That Hossa Has Just Signed A 1 Year Deal With Detroit!!

gsro, the caps signed jose theodore to a 2-year deal yesterday.

also, wowsers on hossa. 1-year 7.4 mil. guess he just wants one shot at the cup, then accept a rediculous contract next year?

gsro, the caps signed jose theodore to a 2-year deal yesterday.

also, wowsers on hossa. 1-year 7.4 mil. guess he just wants one shot at the cup, then accept a rediculous contract next year?
oh ya totally forgot about jose...i'm still not sold that he's back to his rgular game..hossa deal is nuts... the top line wil be
zetteberg, datsyuk, hossa :| machines all three!

jeebus... Wonder if they will still make a play for Sundin
they have the capsapce to sign him to a one year deal....but man think of some of the liens you could think of..co worker and i were thinking

Zetteberg Datsyuk Holmstrom

Hossa, Sundin, and move hudler or franzen to the wing :)

BAR must be one happy man right now knowing his detroit team jsut got better!

Red Wings sign Hossa for one year, $7.4 million

by Ansar Khan Wednesday July 02, 2008, 12:43 PM

Big news: The Red Wings have signed right wing Marian Hossa to a one-year contract for $7.4 million. The significance of the salary is it's just below Nicklas Lidstrom's $7.45 million salary.
Talk about the rich getting richer. This is a stunning move. Hossa, 29, had 29 goals and 66 points last season, splitting time between Atlanta and Pittsburgh. The Penguins acquired him on the trade deadline, Feb. 26, and helped them reach the Stanley Cup finals, with 12 goals and 14 assists in 20 games.

Amazingly, he turned down more lucrative long-term offers -- Edmonton reportedly offered him $9 million a season. Obviously, he is motivated to win his first Cup.
The Wings' payroll is at about $52.6 million. The cap is $56.7 million. They still need to sign Valtteri Filppula, Chris Chelios and Kyle Quincey. Two other unsigned players, Jimmy Howard and Jonathan Ericsson, won't count against the cap if they're assigned to Grand Rapids, as expected.

FWIW, this was an article from yesterday

The Red Wings appear to be out of the bidding for the high-end free-agent forwards, including Mats Sundin, but are still interested in signing a lower-priced forward, preferably on a one-year contract for less than $3 million.
The Wings wanted Sundin, but can't compete with some of the offers he's apparently getting. Vancouver reportedly offered two years at $20 million. About the only way Sundin could wind up in Detroit is if his main motivation is going to a team that would give him his best chance to win his first Stanley Cup, and not so much a huge contract. Maybe there's still a chance, but the fact that he appears in no rush to make up his mind might indicate he doesn't want to come to Detroit.
RELATED CONTENT • Wings sign Stuart for four years, $15 million
Conklin signed by Wings, has inside track on backup goaltending job
Red Wings re-sign Lilja for two years

The Wings were only interested in Brian Rolston if he was willing to accept a one-year deal. His former team, New Jersey, inked the 35-year-old to a huge four-year, $20 million pact. And the Wings don't have anywhere close to the cap space to bring in Marian Hossa.
Former Wing Todd Bertuzzi, recently bought out by Anaheim, remains a possibility.
"I'm interested in a player on a one-year deal, or a soft (low salary) two- or three-year deal,'' general manager Ken Holland said. "We can't be paying in the four or five (million-range) for a long-term deal because we'd be in trouble in '09 (not enough cap space).''

The Wings have signed defenseman Brad Stuart to a four-year deal worth $3.75 million a season. It's a slight raise from his $3.5 million salary last season. The deal also includes a limited no-trade clause in the last two years of the contract.
Signing Stuart, 28, was the Wings' top priority heading into the free agency period, which began at noon today. He was the perfect partner for Niklas Kronwall on the second pairing, an ideal No. 4 defenseman who plays a safe, stay-at-home game and provides a physical presence.

He showed his commitment to staying with a winning organization by taking less money than he could have received on the open market. The Wings ended up paying him a little more than they would have liked -- they were hoping to sign him for around the same $3 million salary that Kronwall makes. But it's a good deal for the Wings.
<TABLE cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=7 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #dfe9c9 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 7px; BORDER-TOP: #dfe9c9 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; MARGIN: 12px; BORDER-LEFT: #dfe9c9 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 7px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #dfe9c9 1px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f2f2f2" vAlign=top><CENTER>RELATED CONTENT</CENTER>• Conklin signed by Wings, has inside track on backup goaltending job
Wings appear out of bidding for high-end forwards
Red Wings re-sign Lilja for two years

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"We paid a little more than we would have liked, he left money on the table,'' Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "In the end, we got a contract we both can live with. We're really happy with our top four (defense).''
Detroit now has 17 players signed for 2008-09 at about $44 million. The salary cap is $56.7 million. The Wings will stay roughly $2 million short of that to allow for a mid-season or trade deadline move. That gives them about $10-11 million to spend with the following players still needing to be re-signed: forward Valtteri Filppula, defensemen Chris Chelios, Kyle Quincey and Jonathan Ericsson and goaltender Jimmy Howard. They would also like to sign Darren McCarty, Aaron Downey and a veteran No. 3 goalie. Of course, a couple of these players will be on two-way contracts and likely will be playing in Grand Rapids.
They still have enough room to sign a top-six forward, with Toronto's Mats Sundin and Minnesota's Brian Rolston at the top of their wish list.

"If you can get a star, you figure out a way to get him in (under the cap),'' Holland said. "We're not going to overpay for mid-level players.''
The Wings have nine NHL defensemen who require waivers to be sent down and room for only eight, opening up the possibility of a trade.

Mats Sundin will not be signing any blockbuster contracts this week. Or perhaps any time soon.

The 37-year-old star centre sent out a statement via his agent J.P. Barry on Wednesday expressing his need for more time to mull over his playing future.

"I would like to thank all the teams who have expressed such sincere interest in my services," Sundin said in the statement.

"The numerous options provided to me were impressive and I have no doubt that each one presented a unique opportunity for me to finish my career in a terrific hockey environment."

The Vancouver Canucks offered Sundin a $20-million, two-year deal. It's believed the Montreal Canadiens, New York Rangers and Toronto Maple Leafs also offered two-year contracts but for less money.

Sundin, an unrestricted free agent, still hasn't decided whether he wants to play next year.

"I spent a great deal of time yesterday reflecting upon the teams who stepped forward and the opportunities that each provided," said Sundin. "Unfortunately, I am simply not close to being ready to make a decision about resuming my career at this time.

"I wish all the teams the very best and thank them for their interest."

Sportsnet has learned Sean Avery has shifted his disturber role to the Dallas Stars, signing a $15.5-million, 4-year deal.

Avery earned $1.9 million with the New York Rangers this past season in which he had 15 goals and 18 assists in 57 games. His season was cut short when he suffered a lacerated spleen in the team's playoff series loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Avery's greatest achievement this past season, however, was the institution of an NHL rule named in his honour. During the Rangers' first-round playoff series against the New Jersey Devils, Avery positioned himself facing Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur and waved his arm and stick to both screen and distract him. Though not against the rules, the NHL quickly instituted a rule amendment making the action illegal, a rule which quickly became known as the "Avery Rule."

Avery has created a role of disturber on the ice, but has been able to back it up with some offensive skills. This past season, the Rangers were 33-14-10 with Avery in the lineup and 9-13-3 without him.

Originally undrafted, Avery was signed by the Detroit Red Wings in 1999 and was traded to Los Angeles four years later. He was then traded to New York in February 2007

ya it almost seems sundin is ready to call it a career and hang em up!..apparently hossa turned down a 9 million dollar offer from the oilers!@

I don't get the hooplah about Hossa, was he really worth it for Pittsburgh? Of all the games I seen, he was never the best player on the ice. Sundin is a difference maker, Hossa really isn't IMO.

Cat, I think he was kind of hidden in Atlanta for the most part... he could take over games if he wanted. Played really well in the playoffs, especially when he doesnt need to be the go to guy come playoff time. Detroit has enough of those.

Hell if Finger can make 3.5 Id pay Hossa just under 8

Penguins update: Ruutu signs with Ottawa

Wednesday, July 02, 2008
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
<!-- end story_image_box_size_1 -->
The Penguins have lost free-agent right winger Marian Hossa to Detroit.

The big surprise: His contract is for one season and $7.4 million.

The Penguins were offering a bit more than $7 million on a deal that, at various times, was proposed to cover five, six or seven years.

Several other clubs reportedly made proposals for even more money and years, which suggests that financial security was not Hossa's main motivation in choosing Detroit.

Hossa could not be reached for comment, but is scheduled to speak with reporters in Detroit this afternoon.

Hossa's departure wasn't their only loss: Left winger Jarkko Ruutu turned down a two-year offer from the Penguins and signed with Ottawa, reportedly for three years at an average salary of $1.3 million.

There still is no word on whether defenseman Brooks Orpik, the most prominent of the Penguins' remaining free agents, will return.

Hossa's departure leaves a void on the right side of the Penguins' No. 1 line, and management has begun looking into ways to fill it.

Ex-Penguin Markus Naslund, who has spent most of his career in Vancouver, is believed to be getting serious consideration, although it's likely the front office will use the money that would have gone to Hossa to sign two wingers, not just one.

Team officials made cursory contact with free-agent right winger Jaromir Jagr yesterday, as they did with the representatives for a number of other players. They are believed to be having further discussions with Jagr's camp, but there is no evidence they have -- or will -- make a contract offer.

The Penguins acquired Hossa and winger Pascal Dupuis from Atlanta at the Feb. 26 trade deadline and put him alongside Sidney Crosby on the top line.

He had three goals and seven assists in 12 regular-season games here, then added 12 goals and 14 assists in 20 playoff games, as he shed his reputation for struggling in the post-season.

Cat, I think he was kind of hidden in Atlanta for the most part... he could take over games if he wanted. Played really well in the playoffs, especially when he doesnt need to be the go to guy come playoff time. Detroit has enough of those.

Hell if Finger can make 3.5 Id pay Hossa just under 8

He is good SC, but I think Pittsburgh would've probably gotten just as far with the players they gave up for him is all Im saying...I got to think Fletcher must know what hes doing with Finger...With all the talk last year about the bad contracts that JFJ gave, surely Cliff thought about this long and hard, plus Cliff has an eye for talent...Or hes gone insane which is always a possibility given his age lol

He is good SC, but I think Pittsburgh would've probably gotten just as far with the players they gave up for him is all Im saying...I got to think Fletcher must know what hes doing with Finger...With all the talk last year about the bad contracts that JFJ gave, surely Cliff thought about this long and hard, plus Cliff has an eye for talent...Or hes gone insane which is always a possibility given his age lol

very true... what they gave up closed the window slightly on any future runs and went with the future is now thinking... everybody knew it would be tough this offseason and its providing to be that.

The more I read the more I like Finger, he will always be overpaid to me, but you have no idea what was going on with other GMs thinking they were getting a bargain. I like what Cliff is doing for the most part so far anyways

I like what Cliff is doing for the most part so far anyways

You know I dont think the leafs will be an embarassement like some think...Leafs were a very good 5on5 team last year, Toskala knows hes number one unlike last year, and Wilson is a good special teams coach.

At this point in time, I think the Islanders might be the basement team, but Nolan does have a knack for making the best out of nothing.

Pittsburgh Penguins sign UFA defenceman Brooks Orpik to a six-year, $22.5 million contract.

New York Islanders sign UFA forward Doug Weight (1-year, $1.75 million).

yesterdays sumary

Wednesday, July 2

<TABLE><THEAD><TR><TH class=statDate>TIME (ET)</TH><TH class="alignLeft statText">TRANSACTION</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>9:26PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Columbus Blue Jackets sign UFA winger Kristian Huselius (4-year, $4.75 million).</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>6:27PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">New York Islanders sign UFA forward Doug Weight (1-year, $1.75 million).</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>6:05PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Philadelphia Flyers re-sign defenceman Randy Jones (2-years, undisclosed) and forward Riley Cote (3-years, undisclosed).</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>5:16PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Dallas Stars sign RFA forward B.J. Crombeen (1-year, undisclosed).</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>5:01PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Colorado Avalanche re-sign RFA forward Wojtek Wolski (2-years, undisclosed).</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>4:58PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Pittsburgh Penguins sign UFA defenceman Brooks Orpik to a six-year, $22.5 million contract.</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>4:41PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Minnesota Wild re-sign RFA defenceman Kurtis Foster (1-year, $1.025 million).</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>3:38PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Atlanta Thrashers sign UFA defenceman Ron Hainsey to a five-year, $22.5 million contract.</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>3:03PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Ottawa Senators sign UFA Forward Jarkko Ruutu to a three-year, $3.9 million contract.</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>2:33PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Ottawa Senators sign UFA Forward Shean Donovan to a two-year contract worth $1.25 million.</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>1:52PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Boston Bruins sign RFA Forward Petteri Nokelainen. (2-years, $1.7 million)</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>1:22PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Dallas Stars sign UFA Forward Sean Avery to a four-year, $15.5 million contract.</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>1:00PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Calgary Flames sign UFA defenceman Jim Vandermeer (undisclosed) and UFA forward Curtis Glencross (undisclosed).</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>12:45PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Vancouver Canucks sign UFA goaltender Curtis Sanford. (1-year, $650,000)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>12:35PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Detroit Red Wings sign UFA forward Marian Hossa to a one-year contract worth $7.4 million.</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>12:01PM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Ryan Johnson (2-years, $2.3 million)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>11:13AM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Carolina Hurricanes sign RFA defenceman Joni Pitkanen to a three-year contract worth $12 million.</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>11:13AM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Carolina Hurricanes sign UFA defenceman Josef Melichar to a one-year contract worth $1 million.</TD></TR><TR class=bg1><TH class=statDate>10:20AM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign RFA defenceman Janne Niskala, to a one-year deal worth $600,000.</TD></TR><TR class=bg2><TH class=statDate>9:18AM</TH><TD class="alignLeft statText">Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign RFA forward Ryan Craig to a two-year contract worth $1.575-million.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Toronto Maple Leafs continue to fill out their roster for the 2008-09 season.
Toronto announced Thursday that the club has acquired forward Mikhail Grabovski from the Montreal Canadiens in exchange for the rights to Greg Pateryn and a second-round draft pick in the 2010 draft.
"Mikhail had tremendous success at the most recent World Hockey Championships," said Fletcher in a statement. "He has great upside and we will look for him to contribute for us right away at the centre position."
A native of Potsdam, Germany, Grabovski was Montreal's fourth choice, 150th overall, in the 2004 draft. The 24-year old scored three goals and six assists in 24 games with Montreal last year.
The Montreal Canadiens on Thursday also signed defenseman Alex Henry to a one-year contract and minor league goaltender Cedrick
Desjardins to a two-year contract..

ARLINGTON, Va. - The Washington Capitals signed free-agent centre Keith Aucoin to a two-year contract Thursday.
The 29-year-old Aucoin split last season between the Carolina Hurricanes and the American Hockey League's Albany River Rats. He played 38 games for Carolina, scoring five goals with eight assists.
Aucoin played U.S. college hockey at Norwich, where he became the school's career leader in goals (114) and assists (124).

Back