Summer 2013 Transfer Thread

The Spurs are so close to being a Champions League caliber team. They need to establish themselves at that level. Selling Bale doesn't do that, imo. Unless, like Teed said they have a full transfer window to use the funds.

Dylan, couldn't agree more, Soldado will wind up being a middling signing, Benteke was the move for Spurs this offseason and they whiffed because Levy was too cheap

Transfer season is so fucking strange in my eyes. Can never believe hardly a word you read.
Why would Spurs not bid 25m or so that could have netted them Benteke (allegedly) yet, they bid 26m for Soldado? Soldado, what 6-7 years older, never played a league game in England. Benteke seems to me a more dynamic player with even moreso potential. I think Soldado will be good, better option than Dempsey, sure, but why not spend for what could be a superior player, with a longer shelf life?
Just seems weird to me, I'm always wary of bringing in strikers from pussy leagues like Spain (even Italy) into EPL. Never seems to translate big returns, as the physicality of the defenders seems to be a big adjustment. I'd rather get a guy from Netherlands who play a pretty mean brand of soccer, or even some of the Scandinavian leagues who tend to have bigger, more physical defenders (and come cheaper)

Ummm you do realize Villa had every intention of keeping Benteke and it would of taken more than 20mil to lure a prized asset away from Villa. So it's not as easy as you think.

Ummm you do realize Villa had every intention of keeping Benteke and it would of taken more than 20mil to lure a prized asset away from Villa. So it's not as easy as you think.

Unmmmmm, you do realize my very first line said you can never hardly believe a word you read.
I know that you are personal friends with Mr. Lerner, so OBVIOUSLY, you know every fucking thing that is said behind closed doors and I'm sure there was no offer that could have been made that would have pried him away.
And I know that Mr. Benteke was obviously over joyed to stay at Villa Park had another team not come calling, he didn't hand in a formal transfer request or anything like that.
I only have to go by what is written in the press http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...stian-benteke-transfer-request-handed-2039240.
It may very well have taken 25m to pry him away. Or maybe 30m. Or maybe it would not have happened at all. What I simply did state is I would rather have bid higher for Benteke than go on the cheap, only to turn around a month later and get an older player for more money than what may have taken to get Benteke. That is all.

Unmmmmm, you do realize my very first line said you can never hardly believe a word you read.
I know that you are personal friends with Mr. Lerner, so OBVIOUSLY, you know every fucking thing that is said behind closed doors and I'm sure there was no offer that could have been made that would have pried him away.
And I know that Mr. Benteke was obviously over joyed to stay at Villa Park had another team not come calling, he didn't hand in a formal transfer request or anything like that.
I only have to go by what is written in the press http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...stian-benteke-transfer-request-handed-2039240.
It may very well have taken 25m to pry him away. Or maybe 30m. Or maybe it would not have happened at all. What I simply did state is I would rather have bid higher for Benteke than go on the cheap, only to turn around a month later and get an older player for more money than what may have taken to get Benteke. That is all.

so what made you believe Benteke was leaving LOL you are going around in circles here. You read the press go with it then you say actually i can hardly believe a word.

Here is where I stand on the whole Bale thing...

Tottenham have to sell him. I understand the arguments about Tottenham being on the doorstep of being a CL side, and that they are about to break through to contending for the EPL title.

I look at it from a simple point of risk, reward, and utility. The past is littered with players who have had one or two world class years, only to fall once transferred. I am not saying this is Bale. I am saying there is a chance this is Bale, and history has proven that this is the exact time you sell players. Tottenham would be able to buy 5 or 6 world class players - and diversify their risk. Right now - all of their eggs are in the Bale basket - if they keep him and he gets a knee injury in week 2 - now what?

Take the money - spend it and get a striker. Hell - they could even sign Rooney AND Soldado and have plenty left over. Go sign Suarez.

But let Bale go.

Also the idea that spanish players struggle while players from the dutch league as strikers are better is weird

Theres a decade of history with high scorers in the holland being huge flops in england

Just because Suarez and benteke have been good doesn't make that all go away...

Which makes sense except with two weeks left until the season starts they arent getting those players

And also wouldn't pay most high priced players wages because of the wage structure

Oh, I disagree. Money talks, they could buy those guys.

But that said.... It is a simple issue of crazy valuation. Twice as much as Falcao and Neymar? Really? Worth 2 Neymars?

I see both sides. It certainly would make Spurs seen as a "seller club" - which is never good for obtaining future great talent. I also understand the idea of "this is the year" and if we just get one more year out of him, we can sell him next summer and we will have our place in the elite AND get our money. BUT IT IS RISKY. A club like ManU can handle that risk - I just dont see Spurs in that same light at this point.

I hope he stays. I have a soft spot for Spurs - love going to their games - love watching Bale play. I was in the front row when he scored this goal against Southampton - I still cant believe it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLKgcn5rDj4

:cheers:

Money Talks, but what Teed is suggesting is selling him now does not put Spurs in an ideal situation for this campaign. Sure they won't be bottom 10 but Bale makes that big of a difference.
You have to give your team time to prepare and time to gel together. Soldado coming in now is a bit late so you can only imagine if Bale leaves it's great 85mil but now teams will know they will be desperate to spend the money and jack up the price.
Levy is too smart of a business man to really go that route.

Money Talks, but what Teed is suggesting is selling him now does not put Spurs in an ideal situation for this campaign. Sure they won't be bottom 10 but Bale makes that big of a difference.
You have to give your team time to prepare and time to gel together. Soldado coming in now is a bit late so you can only imagine if Bale leaves it's great 85mil but now teams will know they will be desperate to spend the money and jack up the price.
Levy is too smart of a business man to really go that route.

Cant argue with that at all. It is a complex situation. I just dont think Spurs are in a position to risk long term goals for short term goals (like CL and THIS year competing for the EPL title).

Curious - do you see Bale staying long term under any circumstances? I mean I guess if the win the EPL this year, go deep in the CL next year - and continue that - he will stay - but if they dont do that - is he going to stay for more than another year?

Cant argue with that at all. It is a complex situation. I just dont think Spurs are in a position to risk long term goals for short term goals (like CL and THIS year competing for the EPL title).

Curious - do you see Bale staying long term under any circumstances? I mean I guess if the win the EPL this year, go deep in the CL next year - and continue that - he will stay - but if they dont do that - is he going to stay for more than another year?

Spurs will probably want to drive the price up as much as they can. If he stays injury free and has another campaign this year like he did you can expect him to be around 100mil. Also the status of Ronaldo seems to be up in the air, he may very well be gone next year.

Doubt he will stay long term, he may do Spurs a favour by just resigning forcing his transfer fee to go up again to break the contract. The question is...does he want money? does he want to play at a world class brand name?

But, do the Spurs ever (within reason) get to the CL level without Bale? 5-6 20 mil players worth 1 Bale? What would they spend that money on this year that would be a huge upgrade on what they have right now? I will give you a striker (defoe, Saldado, Ade). But where else? They would certainly need to add someone to fill Bale's spot as they have little cover on the wings and no Dempsey aint up to snuff as a support striker where Bale was effective last year.

The midfield is world class and any money there is just depth, not a clear upgrade over what they have. The back 4? Ok, they could add a LB.

So is losing Bale worth whatever upgrade you get at striker, LB, and midefield depth vs. what you lose between Bale and whoever replaces him?

Im not so sure of that. And you are assuming the players bought with the money spent work out where with Bale you have seen him have success with this system and with this club.

The Spurs are so close to being a Champions League caliber team. They need to establish themselves at that level. Selling Bale doesn't do that, imo. Unless, like Teed said they have a full transfer window to use the funds.
Well, until they replace White Hart Lane, they'll never be able to compete on the same financial level as an Arsenal, Chelsea and, quite possibly, even West Ham (once they move into Olympic Stadium).

So, pretty much, you're talking about having to take almost a 'moneyball' type approach, and holding onto Bale (unless you throw caution to the wind and just go for it now) doesn't seem to make much sense.

Also the idea that spanish players struggle while players from the dutch league as strikers are better is weird

Theres a decade of history with high scorers in the holland being huge flops in england

Just because Suarez and benteke have been good doesn't make that all go away...
Last year's top 10 scorers in the EPL had one Spaniard
2012 had zero
2011 had zero
2010 had two
2009 had one
2008 had one
2007 had zero
2006 had zero
2005 had zero
2004 had zero
2003 had zero
2002 had zero
2001 had zero
2000 had zero

Understandablycherry picking by only grabbing the top 10 or so scorers, but in the past 13 years, there's been a total of 5 instances of Spanish scorers been in the top 10 and I believe 3 of those were Fernando Torres

Over those years there have been quite a few Dutch league players come over and be a premier scorer (top 10)
RvP, Dirk Kuyt, VdV, Van Nillestory. as well as plenty of Dutch league players that have come over and done quite well.

I firmly believe it's due to the physicality differences in the league, not to mention they are generally taller which also helps.
Spain has certainly had it's fair share of mid fielders that have done wonderfully well in the EPL.

I think the argument I laid it is pretty sound and hardly weird. I'm not the only one with this assertion.

Last year's top 10 scorers in the EPL had one Spaniard
2012 had zero
2011 had zero
2010 had two
2009 had one
2008 had one
2007 had zero
2006 had zero
2005 had zero
2004 had zero
2003 had zero
2002 had zero
2001 had zero
2000 had zero

Understandablycherry picking by only grabbing the top 10 or so scorers, but in the past 13 years, there's been a total of 5 instances of Spanish scorers been in the top 10 and I believe 3 of those were Fernando Torres

Over those years there have been quite a few Dutch league players come over and be a premier scorer (top 10)
RvP, Dirk Kuyt, VdV, Van Nillestory. as well as plenty of Dutch league players that have come over and done quite well.

I firmly believe it's due to the physicality differences in the league, not to mention they are generally taller which also helps.
Spain has certainly had it's fair share of mid fielders that have done wonderfully well in the EPL.

I think the argument I laid it is pretty sound and hardly weird. I'm not the only one with this assertion.

you as you said admittedly cherry picked, and I also am confused now as to whether you mean dutch players or players from the dutch league

to pick one nationality is strange, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_Premier_League_players

there's the spanish list

Spain produces more midfielders than strikers, they always have...

because RVN and VdV both played in Spain for RM

it's weird because the Dutch league is well known for it's big scorers going to bigger leagues and being flops

Huntelaar flopped and Madrid and Milan
Afonso Alves at Boro was a huge flop
Kezman at Chelsea
Bryan Ruiz was 1 in 2 in Holland, he's 1 in 7 in England

there are more

you have Kuyt as a plus, and I like that he's a good hard working player, but he scored 20+ per year for 4 straight years in Holland and at Liverpool his most was 13 and his record of scoring was less than 1 in 4

the dutch league is less physical than Spain too

so I am in general just confused at your argument

is it dutch players? is it spanish players?

players from the dutch league? spanish league?

if it's Dutch players, you would group Italians/Spanish/Germans all together

most players in the big 4 leagues stay in their home country

the Eredivisie is a stepping stone league, so more Dutch players are going to move to the other leagues, you could say the same thing about Dutch vs Spanish players in the Bundesliga for example

Also rumors floating yesterday that he was in Seattle and may sign with them, who knows..I. just don't want him sitting on the bench, like he will with spurs

Also rumors floating yesterday that he was in Seattle and may sign with them, who knows..I. just don't want him sitting on the bench, like he will with spurs

Ya with soldado now hes never going to see time st striker

Also he would be behind bale, lennon, holtby, chadli, siggy for the attacking mids

Makes sense for him to go to a quality club where he will be a starter in a world cup year

No idea, but money is prollly the same, has good endorsement potential with the league...he essentially becomes the face of mls, actually probably.potential to make more money..

Guess will find out, but maybe he was just ready.to move back to states...great pickup for Seattle, they are stacked

Cannot understand why Dempsey would go to Seattle. It is baffling. Seems like a major step backwards for him - almost like giving up.

If he was 25 at the peak of his career I would be upset, but he is 30, and this is actually a good league for an offensive player...

Training isn't as good, but does playing for a mid level everton really going make him that much better of a player at his age? I don't think so..

Cannot understand why Dempsey would go to Seattle. It is baffling. Seems like a major step backwards for him - almost like giving up.
Well, Dempsey's big thing about wanting to leave Fulham was that he wanted the opportunity to play "Champions League" football, so he probably stands a better chance with Seattle than where he is now...

(rim shot)

well, dempsey's big thing about wanting to leave fulham was that he wanted the opportunity to play "champions league" football, so he probably stands a better chance with seattle than where he is now...

(rim shot)

hahahahahahah santos laguna!?

guessing he realized he was never going to play in the CL for a European team as a starter (in a competative league), wanted to go home?

only thing that makes sense, I could see choosing Seattle over Everton

they are mid-table, he's proven more than any American outfield player in England all ready, since Spurs seem to be telling him he's not needed, no real reason to stay in Europe

can go home, be the big fish in the pond, I don't follow the league as much as a lot of you guys but if he's not immediately one of the top 3 guys I don't know who else would be

with the MLS time too he can be a top guy for 3-4 more years easy

How do you go from snubbing Liverpool (well, maybe 'snubbing' isn't the right word) to signing with Seattle? *SMH*

He will be huge for the league in terms of promotion/marketing, and if the us have success in 2014 wc it will be even bigger

In my view, Keane is prolly the best player in the league( I know, shocker)...he is at least top 3 along with de vaio and henry

How does anyone make 35K playing in the MLS? That is really hard to believe. And there are a lot of them.

Back