Should Texas Fire Charlie Strong?

What have Florida or Michigan done other than excite their fan bases? That line of thinking is what's wrong with most of sports now, immediate results typically aren't good long term.

(Most) people in Austin, including me, want to see Strong do well. Still do. Unlike Mack Brown, who we despised at the end and couldn’t wait to see him leave.

Strong has been though a lot and he started under water when he took over, there’s no disputing that. No one expected a championship in year 2. But 21 games into things he needs to at least be competitive against everyone and be beating teams like Iowa State.

This is a direct quote from Paul Rhoads after the game Saturday night: “We shouldn’t beat Texas”. They didn’t just beat us, it was a mismatch. Your drive summary should never look like this, against anyone:

- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Interception
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt

Rational people realize that we’ve got to try and be patient with Strong. I mean, what’s the alternative? Fire him? No. But Strong needs to be really careful - in the presser today he said he didn’t think the result last Saturday night was “embarrassing". Actually, it was. Very. I sat through the four 50-point losses to OU in the Cotton Bowl under Brown’s watch. We saw the beatdown against TCU earlier this year. But this past Saturday was just as embarrassing.. If Charlie doesn’t think it was, I can’t wait to see what that looks like when it does occur.

What have Florida or Michigan done other than excite their fan bases? That line of thinking is what's wrong with most of sports now, immediate results typically aren't good long term.

I think FLA won the SEC East, right?

And Mich has looked a world better..

I get what you are saying. Trust me I do. I just never thought it was a good hire and it looks like it isn't so far by what is happening.

9 commits now......I know yall say they are late grabbers anyway(not sure why), but at this point the only thing he can recruit on is early play time to get any kid excited.

Someone will come in and say it is every kids dream to play at UT blah blah blah.......I think that day isn't here anymore

Have Florida already clinched the SEC East before November 1st? I'm not aware but if so that says more about the SEC East than the Gators.

So 15 inches of rain gets zero mention, travel gets f ed up, other team playing with hair on fire for coach's job etc. One game, sample size almost 0, and here i am back in this stupid thread. What happens the rest of 2015 is not important. Give the man 2016 and maybe even 2017 and i will bump this and laugh at all y'all calling for his head

(Most) people in Austin, including me, want to see Strong do well. Still do. Unlike Mack Brown, who we despised at the end and couldn’t wait to see him leave.

Strong has been though a lot and he started under water when he took over, there’s no disputing that. No one expected a championship in year 2. But 21 games into things he needs to at least be competitive against everyone and be beating teams like Iowa State.

This is a direct quote from Paul Rhoads after the game Saturday night: “We shouldn’t beat Texas”. They didn’t just beat us, it was a mismatch. Your drive summary should never look like this, against anyone:

- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Interception
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt
- Punt

Rational people realize that we’ve got to try and be patient with Strong. I mean, what’s the alternative? Fire him? No. But Strong needs to be really careful - in the presser today he said he didn’t think the result last Saturday night was “embarrassing". Actually, it was. Very. I sat through the four 50-point losses to OU in the Cotton Bowl under Brown’s watch. We saw the beatdown against TCU earlier this year. But this past Saturday was just as embarrassing.. If Charlie doesn’t think it was, I can’t wait to see what that looks like when it does occur.

yea. I don't care how "fucked up" people think TX was left by Mack......Shut out by Iowa St? This deep in?

So 15 inches of rain gets zero mention, travel gets f ed up, other team playing with hair on fire for coach's job etc. One game, sample size almost 0, and here i am back in this stupid thread. What happens the rest of 2015 is not important. Give the man 2016 and maybe even 2017 and i will bump this and laugh at all y'all calling for his head

x10000000

Texas is not in a position for a guy to step in and flip the switch. You got two of the top five teams in the country in your state and your conference. Plus A&M. You're just lucky you still have the coolest logo.

The travel issue wasn't good. As I pointed out in a different thread, expect a close game and that certainly wasn't going to help. No one expected to be manhandled by Iowa State. It was inexcusable, weather issues or otherwise. There's no other way to paint it.

No one's calling for Strong to be fired. He still has good support in Austin. Most importantly, from the (interim) AD. The rest of '15 is important. Some of the wrongs needs to be corrected. 4 games left to do it.

How does Texas go about recruiting wide receivers and quarterbacks right now against Baylor, Tech, etc?

Usually when the barkeep asks a question it is done facetiously and i always laugh. This is a valid one and i eagerly await an answer. As to anyone talking about mich i would say hold all tix and on fla well look at the sec east. They were life and death with UK who if had stoops 2 years earlier and his classes in could have stolen it this year. UF beating UT this year will go down as a great mystery at some point

How does Texas go about recruiting wide receivers and quarterbacks right now against Baylor, Tech, etc?

That's why his Strong's OC hire is going to be so big. 7 on 7 rules this state (and so does 2-below tackling).

I don't know how much longer Cumbie and Meacham want to share the job in Ft. Worth, but they've got to be in the mix.

What happened to Heard? When I got home from work I switched it on and saw Swoopes.......you won't win with that guy.
I've said it before, it's ridiculous for Texas to have poor QB play.
I like Charlie, or at least what I see him stand for. You bring in a clone of Major Applewhite and that team plays exponentially better.

But that's outside looking in , on a small sample of games I get to see.

there are plenty around.

How did LSU put Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry in the league and get the number 1 overall WR in the country the next year with the offense they trotted recently?

The answer is you just recruit hard and get good recruiters........OBV TX is in a shared state, but it is still TX(or should be)

Also they don't run the same offense as the rest of the B12, at least as far as I can tell.

that shouldn't even make the top 100 of worries or excuses as to why they are shit

What happened to Heard? When I got home from work I switched it on and saw Swoopes.......you won't win with that guy.
I've said it before, it's ridiculous for Texas to have poor QB play.
I like Charlie, or at least what I see him stand for. You bring in a clone of Major Applewhite and that team plays exponentially better.

But that's outside looking in , on a small sample of games I get to see.

Heard's been on campus going on 2 years now and still hasn't the slightest idea on how to read a defense. Either it's woeful coaching or Heard has space between his ears, and it's likely not the latter. Strong had no choice but to go to Swoopes. Heard was playing that badly.

Heard's been on campus going on 2 years now and still hasn't the slightest idea on how to read a defense. Either it's woeful coaching or Heard has space between his ears, and it's likely not the latter. Strong had no choice but to go to Swoopes. Heard was playing that badly.

Single wing

Our president, AD and Strong had to hurry onto a private plane last night in order to beg the Tulsa OC, the Tulsa OC, to come to Austin.

Forget about who's at fault in this clusterfuck. Just an example of the level of disarray in Texas football.

Our president, AD and Strong had to hurry onto a private plane last night in order to beg the Tulsa OC, the Tulsa OC, to come to Austin.

Forget about who's at fault in this clusterfuck. Just an example of the level of disarray in Texas football.

yea Ive been following this

the Bo Jones thing was a joke....he seems to back Charlie pretty Strong lol

Still possible he could get fired or extended. Lot of game left but very happy for him.

It was a nice win from where we were but to be fair, we should be beating notre dame on our home field.

It was a nice win from where we were but to be fair, we should be beating notre dame on our home field.

I am not sure people understand that UT should be competing for the title.....every year. maybe it has been too long

been good for other teams and recruiting lol

I am not sure people understand that UT should be competing for the title.....every year. maybe it has been too long

been good for other teams and recruiting lol

Well, after last night, those speedy receivers coming out of the Texas High School Spread Attacks will start looking at UT as a place to shine rather than a place to go to watch your team not be able to complete a pass to you. With Baylor having some issues (Would you trust your kid to turn into a man with the care of Briles and that Admin?), Texas Tech failing to muster much more than a decent season here and there, TAMU having locker room drama the last few years (still a decent destination for receivers), LSU having a bad system for QB's ... I think Texas will score that many more of those types of players on the outside. It took awhile for Charlie to get the players to buy into what he was cooking and it has taken Charlie awhile to buy into the shitty product of modern pace football but the combination is going to make for major recruiting inroads. Again, if you are that single mom sending your kid to school ... Charlie Strong is the guy who forced his players to have character and some of these other schools are looking the other way.

Team is going to be good again for awhile if they can A. Keep the momentum and not revert to Austin pot culture B. Keep a smallish Beuchele healthy.

i don't get how LSU pulls these WRs....it is really unreal. The class coming in(if it holds lol) on paper is fucking fantastic

twinkie, agreed....yet does Miles purposely not go and look for a decent starting quarterback? Always young raw projects.

i did, senor smarty Mcsmart smart. i even clicked on the thanks button.

you misspelled oh.

on wisconsin.

good bump Gurv.

Season 3 is when U of L began to see results on the field for this guy as well, by the way...

Season 3 is also when Teddy Bridgewater became Teddy Bridgewater. They should start 3-0 now, and it will be interesting to see where they sit after they play the two Oklahoma teams

Back