Selection Sunday Discussion and In-Game

Bama's defense is world's better than Iowa's!

Michigan is a shell of what they were on the OL compared to the team that went to the playoffs.

Michigan couldn't compete with UGA for 1 minute, and weren't ready for the CFP last year when TCU changed their signals up....

Ruh roh

The #1 seed has had the harder game several years, because the committee always puts an undefeated team from a lesser conference in the 2/3 slots, and a 1 loss great team at 4
Yes, 2015 and 2017 for sure

Please bet Bama down and Texas up…

And I’ll gladly fade the steam on both.

Bama/Mich gonna be a war.

But NEVER underestimate Sark’s ability to shit down his leg in a huge spot.

Please bet Bama down and Texas up…

And I’ll gladly fade the steam on both.

Bama/Mich gonna be a war.

But NEVER underestimate Sark’s ability to shit down his leg in a huge spot.
A month to prepare for Michigan gives me a lot of confidence

Judging by Michigan's reaction to Alabama popping up at #4, you know who they didn't want to play.

A month to prepare for Michigan gives me a lot of confidence
That’s fair.

Needing a 4th and 31 and a brain dead coach to even get in this spot, gives me the same confidence.

That being said…all credit to Alabama for making the plays he needed. I just can’t see Milroe being able to be the passer He’ll need to be against this damn good defense.

Amazing matchup though…stoked to find out

That’s fair.

Needing a 4th and 31 and a brain dead coach to even get in this spot, gives me the same confidence.

That being said…all credit to Alabama for making the plays he needed. I just can’t see Milroe being able to be the passer He’ll need to be against this damn good defense.

UM offense is brutal man.

That’s fair.

I haven't done a deep dive yet, but I can't think of a matchup that favors Michigan at this point

I haven't done a deep dive yet, but I can't think of a matchup that favors Michigan at this point

It's a hard game to cap. If JJ gets healthy they could run like Auburn did. UGA TEs were hurt - UM may be able to do better here.

Milroe capable of losing any game but they should come up with a script that works.

Reese is not a good OC.

Glad the committee did the right thing. Nobody wanted to see Michigan beat up Iowa 2.0. Alabama clearly the superior team. Yes they lost, but penalize them for scheduling a playoff team? And now they beat the two-time repeating champs.
The Michigan offense that played last night would get about 125 yards against the FSU defense that played last night.

Bama prob closes a fav so im sure you'll get your wish
I can only hope so. Because IMO that would mean that the public is going to see the GOAT on one side and is ignoring some major flaws on that side.

But let’s see. Could be dead wrong. Fired up for the next month to see what develops.

By the way…how fucking dumb is ESPN for showing Georgia #6 first.

They weren’t rematching the SEC…just should’ve showed #4 first

This was about money - 2 huge match ups.

Michigan and Portnoy just drew the best team lol

It always bout money, there were at least 2 years Ohio st had no business getting in but they pay the bills! That said seeing how they did exactly what I said it should be if bama won yesterday money or not I believe they got it exactly right. If you think bout it Michigan prob got the worst of it all, im sure they woulda much rather played fsu than bama!! They went from a lock to be in the finals to being in a very tough game!!

I dunno how big ill bet them but like I said yesterday I’ve never really regretted betting bama, even the few times I’ve lost I still sleep pretty good knowing I had my money on them!!

I think their results in this 1st round are dominant, too.

UM - not so much!

I'm still wondering why Texas isn't being compared to FSU. Just Bama.

Cause the head to head. There was no way they could put bama in with texas beating them at bama, convincingly, same record and winning their conf. They could get away with leaving fsu out. There no way they could have gotten away w bama in texas out for couple reasons. One being the obvious that it sends the message the games don’t matter but prob even more importantly texas has that money, power, and influence!!

Cause the head to head. There was no way they could put bama in with texas beating them at bama, convincingly, same record and winning their conf. They could get away with leaving fsu out. There no way they could have gotten away w bama in texas out for couple reasons. One being the obvious that it sends the message the games don’t matter but prob even more importantly texas has that money, power, and influence!!
Texas beating Alabama is what ultimately cost FSU their spot. Like you said, can't put Alabama in over Texas. Nobody has any problem with Texas being in. Beating UGA was the trump card for us. Maybe if the committee didn't spend the last month telling us how good Oregon was, or if they'd ranked Michigan #1 after beating Ohio St, there could have been different conversations as well. Like I said earlier, if you are going to put FSU over Alabama, you should put them in over Texas too. Because the argument is the same.

The committee loses credibility, if you are going to put Bama ahead of FSU then you should've really fucked FSU and put them 6th behind Bama & Georgia.

I think their results in this 1st round are dominant, too.

UM - not so much!

Bama is def different this year but I’ve been arguing for them a lot this year they different and maybe not as dominant but they have a style that ain’t easy to deal with. The defense is still fantastic, especially so after halftimes they have made great adjustments. Milroe a wild card but he can hit you for points from anywhere on the field!! I’ve thought the play callers have gotten better and better figuring out how to use Milroe most effectively. The one thing I’d worry bout is Michigan will get pressure and what Milroe really bad about is not only refusing to throw the ball away but he turns what wouida been a 5-6 yard loss into a 20 yard sack!! Of course the next play he throws a 40 yard dime! Lol. I kinda thought this was the year Michigan was gonna win it but Im almost sure I’ll be on bama.

Texas beating Alabama is what ultimately cost FSU their spot. Like you said, can't put Alabama in over Texas. Nobody has any problem with Texas being in. Beating UGA was the trump card for us. Maybe if the committee didn't spend the last month telling us how good Oregon was, or if they'd ranked Michigan #1 after beating Ohio St, there could have been different conversations as well. Like I said earlier, if you are going to put FSU over Alabama, you should put them in over Texas too. Because the argument is the same.

I been saying since Travis got hurt I thought they should leave fsu out. I feel bad for them but life not fair, they had 2 weeks to show us something without Travis and I saw nothing that made me want to see them get crushed on New Years which they would have,

I have no allegiance to FSU, but agree with FSU’s comments. Every ACC game this year was meaningless. There was no reason for us to watch them.

As someone else stated above, we already know most of the teams in the 12-team playoff next year. No need to watch any of those games until the playoff next year. I don’t need to watch Bama-Ole Miss in the regular season. I know Bama is in. Bama doesn’t have any meaningful games until January.

Today will harm college football so much in the long run. Agree with everyone that Alabama is the better team than FSU. But today exposes very publicly that it isn’t about games on the field. It’s an “invitational”, not a “playoff”.

As a huge fan of the sport, today makes me very sad.

I have no allegiance to FSU, but agree with FSU’s comments. Every ACC game this year was meaningless. There was no reason for us to watch them.

As someone else stated above, we already know most of the teams in the 12-team playoff next year. No need to watch any of those games until the playoff next year. I don’t need to watch Bama-Ole Miss in the regular season. I know Bama is in. Bama doesn’t have any meaningful games until January.

Today will harm college football so much in the long run. Agree with everyone that Alabama is the better team than FSU. But today exposes very publicly that it isn’t about games on the field. It’s an “invitational”, not a “playoff”.

I agree with your sentiment, but I also think this was a particularly unique situation. There were no good answers today. But right or wrong, the committee was putting the SEC champion in. FSU had the misfortune of that SEC champ having a loss to the other team vying for the 2 spots. Couldn't put in Bama w/o Texas. The injury made it easier.

Every conference signed off on this system, so it kind of just is what it is. I'm sure most won't take me seriously because my team got in, but I think it was going to be a case of just bad luck for whichever team got left out

I agree with your sentiment, but I also think this was a particularly unique situation. There were no good answers today. But right or wrong, the committee was putting the SEC champion in. FSU had the misfortune of that SEC champ having a loss to the other team vying for the 2 spots. Couldn't put in Bama w/o Texas. The injury made it easier.

Every conference signed off on this system, so it kind of just is what it is. I'm sure most won't take me seriously because my team got in, but I think it was going to be a case of just bad luck for whichever team got left out
1000% spot on

Wait. Liberty is playing in a New Year's 6 game? Dear lord.

SMU would beat them by double digits. Wouldn't be close.

Last edited:

As another huge fan the sport I just don’t see it the same way as you. Actually quite the opposite. Funny enough I agree wit your overall sentiment in a way but for a completely different reason! Lol (we will get to that). I myself did watch a great deal of ACC games as I always do as for some reason I’ve always had somewhat a knack for capping this conf so I tend to be about as well versed in the Acc as most anyone, not saying i know it better than everyone but I think most guys I talk with around here would agree im pretty well locked in on the ACC!

The fact I did watch a large majority of the ACC makes it very easy for me to say what I been saying all week, while I feel for the noles kids and while yes we can say they earned a spot by what they accomplished this year I think it also more than fair to say without their Qb they are clearly not one the best 4 teams and it not as if they were replaced by any undeserving teams in the slightest! Not only am I a avid acc watcher I’m also generally a defender of this conf as I feel many years the acc gets unfairly shit on when the overall quality of the teams is usually better than the majorities perception of them imo. That said it was pretty debatable this year. There were a handful of very very bad teams in the conf this year, there were a few teams who did drastically improve as the season went, but there was not much quality depth as there typically is. The fact Louisville ended up in the acc championship game was a massive black eye as I been screaming most the year they were not deserving of a top 20 ranking. The fact a pretty awful ncst team managed to put together a 9-3 record (give or take can’t remember off the top my head) was more evidence how poor this conf was as a whole. Ville barely beat several very bad teams, they lost to a abysmal pitt team. Unc did what all mac brown teams have done since he got to unc and shrunk when it mattered most. Pitt, wake, cuse, played disgusting football. Uva managed to pull themselves slightly above that as the year went on, BC amd Gtech had some talent but were very lacking in areas. Vtech was another team who started out awful but after the qb change started to show some signs but were incredibly inconsistent. Miami unfortunately has a god awful coach who managed to be pretty terrible despite the fact they had a qb I believe will one day get a shot to play in the nfl, hopefully he finds a team in the transfer portal who can highlight his vast arm talent, Point being this conf was not good and if you put them up against the big12 and sec im sorry there is just no comparison! Even clemson was woefully down but if they could have simply finished drives and not thrown games away They easily shoulda ended up in this championship game.

Now that we have took a quick dive into what the AcC was let’s look at what fsu did in this conf when they had Travis playing qb!! I bet and won a lot on fsu vs clemson and I have no problem admitting I was very lucky to win as the noles had no business beating clemson that day! There is no argument who the better team was and it was not fsu, a mediocre clemson passing game moved the ball up and down the field on the noles, controlled the majority of the game, amd had them dead to rights until Dabo went all Dabo and played not to lose opposed to playing to win, a missed chip shot fg later and noles got a chance they didn’t earn or deserve while we talking bout “deserving” to tie then win that game!

Next up noles caught another massive break as they got to face Duke after the heart and soul of their team basically destroyed his leg, somehow he played but he or his team were never the same after he suffered that injury. So Noles get a Duke team who was a shell of themselves and they were outplayed and losing that game for 3 qrtts! Yes fsu handled business at the end and pulled away from a team who had nothing left in the 4th qrtr but make no mistake once again noles were not the better team despite playing a Duke team who was at best 60% of what they were before the Leonard Injury!!

Did I mention the week before clemson they were very lucky to beat Boston college? They had to get a very favorable call to salt the end that game away, that was a terrible spot and those things happen to pretty much every team so I didn’t knock them for that game at the time and I won’t to much here but yet another vssy unimpressive effort to say the least against a mediocre team!

It doesn’t end there! After pretty much clobbering a couple the dregs in wake forest (who might have had the worst qb i saw all year on a power 5 team), then smashing a pathetic pitt team (who happened to beat ville!), they then got to face their rival Canes who could have been a good team but unfortunately hired one the worst coaches in football!! You would think surely noles make quick work here right? Even more so cause Miami’s qb i thought very highly of went down in that game with a injury. Surely noles demolish this team without their stud qb?? Nope, once again they find themselves in a dog fight! A game with a even yardage total they hung on to win by one score as -14.5 favs, a number that was made with the assumption they wkukda been facing Tyler van dyke not some backup!!

That was the Noles incredible ACC season! Of course after the canes game Travis unfortunately got hurt blowing out some little sisters of the poor. Lucky for them they had 2 chances against a bad gators team who allowed a bunch of points all year and then the ACC chmiiishjo game against the fraudulent ville team to show us they did still “deserve” to be in the playoff. Unfortunately they did not show us anything of the sort, they once again were trailing a mediocre team heading into the 4th qrtr of the gators game, I guess maybe you could argue this the same team w Travis since this was nothing new!! Then we all had the misfortune of watching them play the fraudulent cardinals w a qb who was 8 for 21 for a whipping 50 yards despite the fact they have 2 nfl wrs!! I heard lots of tv bobble heads praise their defense for shutting down a crappy ville qb. What I saw was ville mostly beating tbemsekvrs while being unable to stop the wild cat.,

Im sorry and I do feel for the Noles but the fact Tecas and bama both had one loss while playing tougher teams practically every week I dunno why we think noles were more deserving? Bama lost to texas, noles did not play one team on their schedule close to texas. Then bama beat the best team in the country while fsu was beating a team that being called top 20 was totally fraudulent. Texas lost to the Sooners, the Sooners easily couod have ran the table playing the schedule noles did. Texas beat bama who once again was far and away better than any team the noles skated by. This just so happened to be a year where we had 5 teams who probably deserved to be in but in no way did leaving fsu out cheapen the season imo: And I havnt even discussed the fact they lost their qb and were obviously not the same team without him, ignoring that woyod be foolish!! Im actually a bit a noles fan but im
Sorry the fact they were undefeated didn’t make them more deserving of bama or texas imo. It certainly doesn’t cheapen or make the season meaningless, if anything it shows how important the season is, cause if we look at the totality then it clear they were no more deserving than the teams who got in!! If being undefeated trumps all then why are we not banging the drum for liberty? They went undefeated and prob did so looking more impressive than the noles did!

No , this final 4 in no way cheapened the season, it actually showed us how important the season is as if you play and beat more good teams you can still get in if you lose to another top team!! Nothing wrong with how this played out. I don’t care how much Norvell bitches and cries, and quite honestly every time I hear him talk im more and more glad he didn’t get in, except for the fact I’d now kinda love to see him get destroyed by the other deserving teams who would all be 2+ td favs against his squad (I feel for the kids, that coach a prick and if I hear him cry one more time over something this trivial as other ppl dealing with real life problems like family members w cancer the last thing I want to hear this clown cry and act like life isn’t fair, I got news for him life ain’t far but it way better to him making way more money than he should to coach a game! So just stop it with the whoa is me soap box!).

What makes me sad for the sport isn’t the fact we had 5 deserving teams and the worst one got left out. What makes me sad is all the super conferences forming and the fact the 12 team playoff will effectively kill the regular season we both hold dear even if we disagree on this. Im sure we can agree going forward the regular season will be incredibly cheapened as the last 2 weeks and conf championship games will mean nothing as all the teams will be in the 12 team playoff anyways!

As another huge fan the sport I just don’t see it the same way as you. Actually quite the opposite. Funny enough I agree wit your overall sentiment in a way but for a completely different reason! Lol (we will get to that). I myself did watch a great deal of ACC games as I always do as for some reason I’ve always had somewhat a knack for capping this conf so I tend to be about as well versed in the Acc as most anyone, not saying i know it better than everyone but I think most guys I talk with around here would agree im pretty well locked in on the ACC!

The fact I did watch a large majority of the ACC makes it very easy for me to say what I been saying all week, while I feel for the noles kids and while yes we can say they earned a spot by what they accomplished this year I think it also more than fair to say without their Qb they are clearly not one the best 4 teams and it not as if they were replaced by any undeserving teams in the slightest! Not only am I a avid acc watcher I’m also generally a defender of this conf as I feel many years the acc gets unfairly shit on when the overall quality of the teams is usually better than the majorities perception of them imo. That said it was pretty debatable this year. There were a handful of very very bad teams in the conf this year, there were a few teams who did drastically improve as the season went, but there was not much quality depth as there typically is. The fact Louisville ended up in the acc championship game was a massive black eye as I been screaming most the year they were not deserving of a top 20 ranking. The fact a pretty awful ncst team managed to put together a 9-3 record (give or take can’t remember off the top my head) was more evidence how poor this conf was as a whole. Ville barely beat several very bad teams, they lost to a abysmal pitt team. Unc did what all mac brown teams have done since he got to unc and shrunk when it mattered most. Pitt, wake, cuse, played disgusting football. Uva managed to pull themselves slightly above that as the year went on, BC amd Gtech had some talent but were very lacking in areas. Vtech was another team who started out awful but after the qb change started to show some signs but were incredibly inconsistent. Miami unfortunately has a god awful coach who managed to be pretty terrible despite the fact they had a qb I believe will one day get a shot to play in the nfl, hopefully he finds a team in the transfer portal who can highlight his vast arm talent, Point being this conf was not good and if you put them up against the big12 and sec im sorry there is just no comparison! Even clemson was woefully down but if they could have simply finished drives and not thrown games away They easily shoulda ended up in this championship game.

Now that we have took a quick dive into what the AcC was let’s look at what fsu did in this conf when they had Travis playing qb!! I bet and won a lot on fsu vs clemson and I have no problem admitting I was very lucky to win as the noles had no business beating clemson that day! There is no argument who the better team was and it was not fsu, a mediocre clemson passing game moved the ball up and down the field on the noles, controlled the majority of the game, amd had them dead to rights until Dabo went all Dabo and played not to lose opposed to playing to win, a missed chip shot fg later and noles got a chance they didn’t earn or deserve while we talking bout “deserving” to tie then win that game!

Next up noles caught another massive break as they got to face Duke after the heart and soul of their team basically destroyed his leg, somehow he played but he or his team were never the same after he suffered that injury. So Noles get a Duke team who was a shell of themselves and they were outplayed and losing that game for 3 qrtts! Yes fsu handled business at the end and pulled away from a team who had nothing left in the 4th qrtr but make no mistake once again noles were not the better team despite playing a Duke team who was at best 60% of what they were before the Leonard Injury!!

Did I mention the week before clemson they were very lucky to beat Boston college? They had to get a very favorable call to salt the end that game away, that was a terrible spot and those things happen to pretty much every team so I didn’t knock them for that game at the time and I won’t to much here but yet another vssy unimpressive effort to say the least against a mediocre team!

It doesn’t end there! After pretty much clobbering a couple the dregs in wake forest (who might have had the worst qb i saw all year on a power 5 team), then smashing a pathetic pitt team (who happened to beat ville!), they then got to face their rival Canes who could have been a good team but unfortunately hired one the worst coaches in football!! You would think surely noles make quick work here right? Even more so cause Miami’s qb i thought very highly of went down in that game with a injury. Surely noles demolish this team without their stud qb?? Nope, once again they find themselves in a dog fight! A game with a even yardage total they hung on to win by one score as -14.5 favs, a number that was made with the assumption they wkukda been facing Tyler van dyke not some backup!!

That was the Noles incredible ACC season! Of course after the canes game Travis unfortunately got hurt blowing out some little sisters of the poor. Lucky for them they had 2 chances against a bad gators team who allowed a bunch of points all year and then the ACC chmiiishjo game against the fraudulent ville team to show us they did still “deserve” to be in the playoff. Unfortunately they did not show us anything of the sort, they once again were trailing a mediocre team heading into the 4th qrtr of the gators game, I guess maybe you could argue this the same team w Travis since this was nothing new!! Then we all had the misfortune of watching them play the fraudulent cardinals w a qb who was 8 for 21 for a whipping 50 yards despite the fact they have 2 nfl wrs!! I heard lots of tv bobble heads praise their defense for shutting down a crappy ville qb. What I saw was ville mostly beating tbemsekvrs while being unable to stop the wild cat.,

Im sorry and I do feel for the Noles but the fact Tecas and bama both had one loss while playing tougher teams practically every week I dunno why we think noles were more deserving? Bama lost to texas, noles did not play one team on their schedule close to texas. Then bama beat the best team in the country while fsu was beating a team that being called top 20 was totally fraudulent. Texas lost to the Sooners, the Sooners easily couod have ran the table playing the schedule noles did. Texas beat bama who once again was far and away better than any team the noles skated by. This just so happened to be a year where we had 5 teams who probably deserved to be in but in no way did leaving fsu out cheapen the season imo: And I havnt even discussed the fact they lost their qb and were obviously not the same team without him, ignoring that woyod be foolish!! Im actually a bit a noles fan but im
Sorry the fact they were undefeated didn’t make them more deserving of bama or texas imo. It certainly doesn’t cheapen or make the season meaningless, if anything it shows how important the season is, cause if we look at the totality then it clear they were no more deserving than the teams who got in!! If being undefeated trumps all then why are we not banging the drum for liberty? They went undefeated and prob did so looking more impressive than the noles did!

No , this final 4 in no way cheapened the season, it actually showed us how important the season is as if you play and beat more good teams you can still get in if you lose to another top team!! Nothing wrong with how this played out. I don’t care how much Norvell bitches and cries, and quite honestly every time I hear him talk im more and more glad he didn’t get in, except for the fact I’d now kinda love to see him get destroyed by the other deserving teams who would all be 2+ td favs against his squad (I feel for the kids, that coach a prick and if I hear him cry one more time over something this trivial as other ppl dealing with real life problems like family members w cancer the last thing I want to hear this clown cry and act like life isn’t fair, I got news for him life ain’t far but it way better to him making way more money than he should to coach a game! So just stop it with the whoa is me soap box!).

What makes me sad for the sport isn’t the fact we had 5 deserving teams and the worst one got left out. What makes me sad is all the super conferences forming and the fact the 12 team playoff will effectively kill the regular season we both hold dear even if we disagree on this. Im sure we can agree going forward the regular season will be incredibly cheapened as the last 2 weeks and conf championship games will mean nothing as all the teams will be in the 12 team playoff anyways!
Great post. Very insightful on ACC overall. I just think P5 undefeated is P5 undefeated. Liberty not being P5 is the difference. Maybe we should be talking P2 down the road and I’m just too much a traditionalist.

While I agree Bama is the better team and said that up front, a lot of the assessment is subjective. FSU beat two SEC teams, including LSU, which is regarded as a top win for the SEC teams. Trash Miami and their coach beat A&M. That at least calls into question the conference comparison.

Can we imagine the NFL using the “eye test”? I feel like this exposes that it’s not really a true playoff. Hope you’re right about this not being a big deal in the long run.

Appreciate all the ACC background here. All helpful for capping bowls!

Back