Rivals / Orangebloods Reporting Mack Brown Will Resign

Mack was a politician and great with the media and the old money surrounding texas. after the national championship he put his entire staff on cruise control and let his department get bloated and lazy. there's people on that staff that don't do anything relevant to football, but get to hang around and get paid on orders of mack brown.

patterson is here because he agreed to do the dirty work, which is getting mack gone and turning the program on it's ass. texas will not invest in another politician, they want a real coach that is gonna light a fire under that entire department.

Alabama does have two blue-chip QBs committed already, much better coming out of high school than AJ. Not that that matters here, but I think the "AJ is leaving" stuff is overblown. Saban's only undefeated season in his career came with Greg McElroy at QB.

If Saban does go to Texas, I think we will see a dramatic change in the way things are done in the football program and athletic dept as a whole. Are all those boosters willing to give up their influence and access? Not to mention the influence of politicians and the somewhat precarious position of the current president. Based on the last 7 years, that does not appear to be something Nick is willing to put up with, but I've been wrong before. Still think he ends up staying

he might stay at bama, totally agree with you. but just a couple thoughts on the president, and the boosters.

"At Texas, alumni donations fund more than one-third of the athletic department's $127 million budget". --that's from a story in the WSJ from 2009

this ain't oregon, this ain't okie state. there's a large group of donors here, and losing jamail might hurt for a second, but there are plenty of younger boosters that don't care about hanging out with saban, or hanging out in the locker room. they want championships, that's it.

and as far as bill powers goes, remember that your boy Dr. Whitt used to run the b-school here for a while, and if powers is bounced (he won't be), and that 5th vote comes from hicks, then it is most likely at the orders of nick saban.

he might stay at bama, totally agree with you. but just a couple thoughts on the president, and the boosters.

"At Texas, alumni donations fund more than one-third of the athletic department's $127 million budget". --that's from a story in the WSJ from 2009

this ain't oregon, this ain't okie state. there's a large group of donors here, and losing jamail might hurt for a second, but there are plenty of younger boosters that don't care about hanging out with saban, or hanging out in the locker room. they want championships, that's it.

and as far as bill powers goes, remember that your boy Dr. Whitt used to run the b-school here for a while, and if powers is bounced (he won't be), and that 5th vote comes from hicks, then it is most likely at the orders of nick saban.

There are rumors that if Saban goes, Witt goes with him, but Witt is in his mid-70's I think, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't accept (or be offered) a university president position

I only know a little about the Texas AD that I get from my BIL that lives in Austin. Just know that when Saban got to T-town, he basically told the boosters that they need to continue to give, but they are not going to have the access they had come accustomed to. Mal Moore supported Saban, and it pissed off a bunch of people. Obviously by looking at the improvements since, they came back around

Mack just gave a press conference w/ the oregon coach about the alamo bowl. said he's not there to talk about his future, and he's looking forward to meeting with bill powers and steve patterson. this meeting is probably gonna happen in the next 24-48 hours.

pretty sure this is where he concedes and resigns. he still hasn't seen his players since the baylor game, wants to tell them first, and negotiate the parachute texas will be drawing up for him.

There are rumors that if Saban goes, Witt goes with him, but Witt is in his mid-70's I think, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't accept (or be offered) a university president position

I only know a little about the Texas AD that I get from my BIL that lives in Austin. Just know that when Saban got to T-town, he basically told the boosters that they need to continue to give, but they are not going to have the access they had come accustomed to. Mal Moore supported Saban, and it pissed off a bunch of people. Obviously by looking at the improvements since, they came back around

yeah, think it's a huge stretch that dr whitt walks to texas. but i also think it's nearly impossible for powers to get voted out.

Mack just gave a press conference w/ the oregon coach about the alamo bowl. said he's not there to talk about his future, and he's looking forward to meeting with bill powers and steve patterson. this meeting is probably gonna happen in the next 24-48 hours.

pretty sure this is where he concedes and resigns. he still hasn't seen his players since the baylor game, wants to tell them first, and negotiate the parachute texas will be drawing up for him.

Yes, he's done. Didn't really need to hear Brown say it, but his words today (indirectly) did.

Being reported that Powers will remain President on cbs sports

This is a good thing from an academic and athletics standpoint. Powers love athletics, and he loves Brown. But he (and Brown) both know that change needs to be made. It's all about business, and business hasn't been good of late.

Saban/Texas thoughts from the guy who owns 247 sports and is really well connected, not only in Tuscaloosa, but nationally:

It's probably time to start a new thread on the Saban to Texas circus. Following are a few random thoughts. There's nothing earthshaking, but what actually has been to this point anyway?
1). #nochange
2). In cased you missed it yesterday, I would strongly suggest you read Travis Reier's Wednesday thoughts. It was an excellent and well written piece that may have been lost in the noise:
Travis Reier on Wednesday: "... So what can the University of Texas offer Nick Saban that he doesn't already have at the University of Alabama? Other than his own personal oil well, nothing really.
Based on the minute-by-minute reports coming from the west, it's pretty obvious the Longhorns are hoping it will be a money thing with Saban. Makes sense because in every other aspect, UT comes up short. Saban already oversees a program that ranks at the top of college football. He has complete control of every facet of the program. A prime example of this is a strength and conditioning facility considered to be state of the art just five years ago being converted into an iMax theater and Dave and Buster's all in one. Why? Because staying at the top requires unrivaled commitment from a university and its fanbase. If that means retrofitting a facility younger than any of my kids, so be it.
In the past, you've had reason to question UA's sense of urgency in that regard. Since 2007, the commitment to excellence from both Alabama, with late athletics director Mal Moore and former UA president Robert Witt leading the way, and Saban has been unwavering. From a support staff nearing the size of the Cowboys' to continual facility upgrades to keeping him in his deserved spot as the game's highest paid coach, Saban has been given everything he needs to rule college football. And he's responded in a dominating fashion that has impacted not only the university, but the state as a whole in a way most people can't imagine. His value extends well beyond athletic department revenue.
Understanding what Texas is banking on, the question is, what is most important Nick and Terry Saban at this stage in their lives? They've told you, as recently as this fall, that UA will be their last stop. There's more than money at stake as Nick Saban heads down the home stretch of a professional career that has been both exalted and excoriated. The final chapter of his legacy remains unwritten. The guess here is that it isn't for sale. .."
3). The stretch from the Texas media has been unprecedented. The sensationalism and inaccuracies are obvious -- 3% fact and 97% "run with whatever" has been the modus operandi. As expected the most recent act in this three-ring circus centered around Nick Saban being upside down financially. I've known about a few deals gone bad for years, but the way I would summarize the situation is like a rich man adding up only his financial loses and not counting his gains. Again, money and wealth (and certainly not lack thereof) is not playing a part in Saban's decision to remain at Alabama.
4). For those that speak with Saban privately, they will tell you that the one thing he and Terry are extremely passionate about is Nick's Kids. The nonprofit is extraordinarily high on the list of Nick and Terry's priorities. Ironically, to this point no one in the Texas media has pointed out this fact and/or gone into details. I predict it is only a matter of time before the stories hit that Nick's Kids is in line for an oil well (next up most likely) and most importantly, the lack of this rumor further indicates to me just how disconnected most in the media are to this situation.

Shannon Terry (same guy as above) also made a bet with his employees that he would buy them lunch for 3 months if Saban goes to TX. For whatever that's worth

Somebody's uncle's accountant's co-worker heard Saban wears boxer-briefs and Hanes has a distribution center closer to Tuscaloosa so he's staying.

Nobody knows anythinggggg this thread is so dumb. Speculation about speculation and reading into the stupidest shit and trying to form an analysis about it. Obviously no decision has been made how about we wait and see what happens.

Somebody's uncle's accountant's co-worker heard Saban wears boxer-briefs and Hanes has a distribution center closer to Tuscaloosa so he's staying.

Nobody knows anythinggggg this thread is so dumb. Speculation about speculation.

thank you for your contribution.

I open this thread bc I'm very interested in actual information and the result of this Mack brown/ Saban thing but man the posts in here provide nothing but wishes and conjectures

The best predictor of future behavior, is past behavior. If I absolutely had to wager, and thankfully I do not have to, I would bet he leaves for Texas based on many factors, the most important of which seems to be his propensity to jump every 5 years to programs on the downward trend and turn them to the upward trend and take them places they have not been in a very long time. Texas has that allure, and the fact he'll get the highest annual salary CFB coach has ever seen, does not hurt much either. At the age of 62, this is his very likely his last chance to make a final move to another giant in the sport, and last time I heard, Austin was a pretty nice place to live.

Shannon Terry (same guy as above) also made a bet with his employees that he would buy them lunch for 3 months if Saban goes to TX. For whatever that's worth

ehhh. i've seen a lot of texas media members talk about his and terry's ties to tuscaloosa, especially after the storm, and how it would be very hard to imagine him leaving after the bonding they did with those people. which makes sense.

i have no idea if he's coming or not, i'm prayin for it, but i think comparing facilities is a rabbit-hole that makes no sense. texas will build whatever saban wants, whenever he wants it.

I would say straight up if I thought he was going to. Feels like a brilliant PR and business decision to me. If we use this site as a microcosm or a sample of what the country is thinking about or talking about we can see that everyone is talking about Bama and Saban and his folklore and not near as much about our rival and the national title they are playing in. Just look at this thread compared to Nat'l title thread - that's a pretty accurate sample of twitter, facebook, and other media outlets right now in terms of what is being talked about. Get everyone in the media to talk about him and go into the living rooms of 5 star after 5 star and say, "Hey pal, I aint going anywhere, aight. I run the premiere program in the country and I'm dedicated to that univeristy and you are important to me. That $100 million offer isn't, you are though. Come win a title or three and then I'll send you off to the league as a millionaire."

Sincerely,

The guy looking through Crimson lenses

I would say straight up if I thought he was going to. Feels like a brilliant PR and business decision to me. If we use this site as a microcosm or a sample of what the country is thinking about or talking about we can see that everyone is talking about Bama and Saban and his folklore and not near as much about our rival and the national title they are playing in. Just look at this thread compared to Nat'l title thread - that's a pretty accurate sample of twitter, facebook, and other media outlets right now in terms of what is being talked about. Get everyone in the media to talk about him and go into the living rooms of 5 star after 5 star and say, "Hey pal, I aint going anywhere, aight. I run the premiere program in the country and I'm dedicated to that univeristy and you are important to me. That $100 million offer isn't, you are though. Come win a title or three and then I'll send you off to the league as a millionaire."

Sincerely,

The guy looking through Crimson lenses

don't be naive. We're all talking about a possible Saban to Texas move because Mack is probably being blown out of the job in 24-48 hrs, that's why it's so newsworthy. we sports fanatics and bettors alike are interested in the big story today, right now, not a game that is being played in nearly 4 weeks.

as the game approaches, that discussion will be all the rage, but on the eve of the Univ of Texas job being open, that is clearly going to take center stage across the CFB world. this story going viral everywhere is as much about how big the job is as it is about Saban and Bama.

espn reporting that saban told AJ he's stickin around in t-town.

"I messed with coach, (saying) he's getting too old to start up again somewhere else," McCarron said on ESPN's College Football Daily from Walt Disney World. "He told me he's not leaving. And I know Miss Terry (Saban's wife) well enough; she runs that house. And she's not allowing coach to leave either. I think he'll be at the University of Alabama for a little while."

Again, he said while he was the Dolphins coach that he was not going to be Bama's coach. Then he became Bama's coach. If what he's saying to AJ is true, that he is in fact staying at Bama, then the reason he's not signing the extension is because he's leveraging a potential offer from Texas to get more money out of Bama. Any smart businessperson does that. If he stays though, it's not because he cares what he says to AJ and about hurting little ole' AJ's feelings.

"I messed with coach, (saying) he's getting too old to start up again somewhere else," McCarron said on ESPN's College Football Daily from Walt Disney World. "He told me he's not leaving. And I know Miss Terry (Saban's wife) well enough; she runs that house. And she's not allowing coach to leave either. I think he'll be at the University of Alabama for a little while."

Fine with me. Saban's obviously outstanding, but he's not the only person who could make it rain for us. Everything and more is in place for us to be outstanding every year, and it's not going to take God to drive the ship.

don't be naive. We're all talking about a possible Saban to Texas move because Mack is probably being blown out of the job in 24-48 hrs, that's why it's so newsworthy. we sports fanatics and bettors alike are interested in the big story today, right now, not a game that is being played in nearly 4 weeks.

as the game approaches, that discussion will be all the rage, but on the eve of the Univ of Texas job being open, that is clearly going to take center stage across the CFB world. this story going viral everywhere is as much about how big the job is as it is about Saban and Bama.

Not denying it's as much about Texas and Mack. It's a big story because Texas is one of, if not the, premiere job in CFB. Regardless of why people are talking about it, people are talking about it and that plays right into Saban's hands and an advantage he can have. It's kinda like gambler lok for opportunitoes that are +EV (positive expected value - For example, we don't have any control over most outside circumstances - let's say you come to find out that Roger Federer has a bum knee and is playing in a match - that information becomes a real edge when you act upon it). I'm merely stating this is PR gold for Saban as he has the opportunity to lay down a pitch to all of these recruits while this circus is going on. Whether he created it intentionally or unintentionally is just a beneficiary from it - he is maximizing his opportunity and this CAN (if he is indeed staying at Bama) be a huge positive for him.

don't know how much help saban needs in landing recruits.

and we've been over this before. unless jimmy sexton has his eyes and ears inside of the associated press, and inside hick's balls, there's no damn way this thing got made up for leverage's sake.

The leverage was created by the circumstances. not every situation of leverage is created by the person seeking it. The shorthorns (i'm a sooner fan) went 8-4 this yr in a year when Mack needed to go 10-2 at worst to stick around longer. They only won 8 and got blown out by okie state and baylor in the last 4 weeks.

The obvious, I mean most obvious coach the shorthorns are looking for, is Saban. So naturally, Saban has built in leverage now, which is why the extension offer is sitting unsigned for the past 6 days. If the Texas job was not about to open, the extension would have been signed.

Leverage.

umm. of course the circumstances created texas to look elsewhere, that's not what i'm talking about at all.

i'm talking about the theory that jimmy sexton leaked this shit to get nick more money. that never happened.

and gettin blown out by baylor is a stretch.

umm. of course the circumstances created texas to look elsewhere, that's not what i'm talking about at all.

i'm talking about the theory that jimmy sexton leaked this shit to get nick more money. that never happened.

and gettin blown out by baylor is a stretch.

ok i misunderstood, did not know you were talking about Sexton.

the Baylor game? Texas gave up 508 yds and only had 217. yes the 1st half was competitive but it was a 20 pt loss in the end. The blowout loss at home to Okie St is probably what sealed Mack's fate, that was a total beatdown in Austin.

ehhh. i've seen a lot of texas media members talk about his and terry's ties to tuscaloosa, especially after the storm, and how it would be very hard to imagine him leaving after the bonding they did with those people. which makes sense.

i have no idea if he's coming or not, i'm prayin for it, but i think comparing facilities is a rabbit-hole that makes no sense. texas will build whatever saban wants, whenever he wants it.

thank you for your contribution

This won't be about salary IMO. Either school will pay him what he wants. All that matters is if he wants to coach Alabama next year. If he doesn't, he'll be on a plane to Austin by Monday. If he wants to stay at Alabama, he will use the Texas offer to leverage them into writing everything he wants into the new contract, whatever that may be. The only things that Texas can offer that Alabama can't match is the weaker conference, more in-state talent, and a much better city to live in. If those things are really important to him, then he's gone no matter what Alabama offers. I don't think his nomadic nature is as relevant any more, unless he has been lying the last few years in booster club speeches etc, and maybe he was.

Wow!!! Breaking news! He told his starting QB he isn't going anywhere! No one saw this coming!

This won't be about salary IMO. Either school will pay him what he wants. All that matters is if he wants to coach Alabama next year. If he doesn't, he'll be on a plane to Austin by Monday. If he wants to stay at Alabama, he will use the Texas offer to leverage them into writing everything he wants into the new contract, whatever that may be. The only things that Texas can offer that Alabama can't match is the weaker conference, more in-state talent, and a much better city to live in. If those things are really important to him, then he's gone no matter what Alabama offers. I don't think his nomadic nature is as relevant any more, unless he has been lying the last few years in booster club speeches etc, and maybe he was.

this, while correct, has been said over and over and over in this thread. It could be post #1 without a post #2 and it would be much better. Why you guys are trying to nitpick and make conjectures about the littlest things you know nothing about is beyond me.

this, while correct, has been said over and over and over in this thread. It could be post #1 without a post #2 and it would be much better. Why you guys are trying to nitpick and make conjectures about the littlest things you know nothing about is beyond me.

well what else do you expect on a message board? I'm sure there are people that post here that have some connections, but there isn't a person without the last name Saban who has anything concrete. Call the U of A athletic department and ask to speak to Nick

it's all guesswork at this point unless you are Nick himself. His own wife does not know what's going on in his mind, nobody does.

That's why I went to the "best predictor of future behavior...." line. That's the best predictor of what will happen. It has stood the test of human time.

it's all guesswork at this point unless you are Nick himself. His own wife does not know what's going on in his mind, nobody does.

That's why I went to the "best predictor of future behavior...." line. That's the best predictor of what will happen. It has stood the test of human time.
This. No one has posted anything of note. You see this thread gets bumped and it's Texas homers saying why he will go and bama homers saying why he will stay. And it keeps going On and on and on without any facts at all. It's insane.

Story has been out there for months and months and months and months and months and months.. and it won't go away. Generally, where there is smoke there is fire.

This. No one has posted anything of note. You see this thread gets bumped and it's Texas homers saying why he will go and bama homers saying why he will stay. And it keeps going On and on and on without any facts at all. It's insane.

If the guys from Yahoo, ESPN, SI, etc don't have facts, I doubt you'll find anything on CTG

3 extremely important factors for a coach to consider, correct?

1) easier schedule to navigate means better chance to finish undefeated or only one loss, to get into the new 4 teamer as the BIG 12 rep
2) more in-state talent means fewer out-of-state recruiting trips, means more time with family and friends and doing other things he likes. Traveling is no fun, especially in your 60's.
3) where you live is a huge, huge consideration when a coach thinks about his family's lifestyle and quality of life, is it not?

these are 3 huge, huge factors that can clearly tip the scale in Texas's favor

I don't think anyone is saying the potential isn't there, but none of us have a clue except Saban. It's not like a trade where there's generally open talks or free agent signings of what team is interested in who. Everyone knows Saban will be at Alabama or he will be at Texas and no one knows which it will be so it's silly to sit here and each fanbase to argue about why he will be at their school when there's absolutely no information. It's all conjuncture. It's mind boggling the wishes these guys are reading on their hometown boards and coming over here to post.

3 extremely important factors for a coach to consider, correct?

1) easier schedule to navigate means better chance to finish undefeated or only one loss, to get into the new 4 teamer as the BIG 12 rep
2) more in-state talent means fewer out-of-state recruiting trips, means more time with family and friends and doing other things he likes. Traveling is no fun, especially in your 60's.
3) where you live is a huge, huge consideration when a coach thinks about his family's lifestyle and quality of life, is it not?

these are 3 huge, huge factors that can clearly tip the scale in Texas's favor

Depends on the person. Most people would rather live in Austin than Tuscaloosa, but not everyone. Most people want their job to be easier, but not everyone. Depends on which side of the fence Saban is on.

As an Oklahoma fan, it's in my best interests for Saban not to go to Texas and build a super-power. However, I have to call it like I see it. I said I would bet on him going because the allure contains many facets and will be extremely difficult for him to ignore. But I mainly base it on his restless nature and constant need to go and rebuild something.

I don't think anyone is saying the potential isn't there, but none of us have a clue except Saban. It's not like a trade where there's generally open talks or free agent signings of what team is interested in who. Everyone knows Saban will be at Alabama or he will be at Texas and no one knows which it will be so it's silly to sit here and each fanbase to argue about why he will be at their school when there's absolutely no information. It's all conjuncture. It's mind boggling the wishes these guys are reading on their hometown boards and coming over here to post.

I agree with you on the last part. I do my best to use this site strictly for gambling purposes and keep the fanboy stuff elsewhere, but I also like this board because it is filled mostly with rational people from all over the country/world, and it's nice to talk to folks who won't teabag a rival fan because he passed out in a Krystal

I agree with you on the last part. I do my best to use this site strictly for gambling purposes and keep the fanboy stuff elsewhere, but I also like this board because it is filled mostly with rational people from all over the country/world, and it's nice to talk to folks who won't teabag a rival fan because he passed out in a Krystal
Don't get me wrong, I love rumors/partial information as much as the next guy, but there's hardly info in this. It's two fan bases running rampant with contradicting rumors from their fan boards -- when it's pretty clear Saban is the only guy who knows where he'll be. Not his wife, sister, agent -- no one. And of course he's going to stay loyal to Bama until the very second he confirms he goes to Texas. You can't read into coach speak

Don't get me wrong, I love rumors/partial information as much as the next guy, but there's hardly info in this. It's two fan bases running rampant with contradicting rumors from their fan boards -- when it's pretty clear Saban is the only guy who knows where he'll be. Not his wife, sister, agent -- no one. And of course he's going to stay loyal to Bama until the very second he confirms he goes to Texas. You can't read into coach speak

Just bookmark this website and check it periodically, and you won't have to sift through the fan wishes and conjecture:

http://hastexashirednicksabanyet.com/

Back