Rivals / Orangebloods Reporting Mack Brown Will Resign

shit, try being a michigan fan frank..program died when bo died...hasnt been same since.

Yea agree hunt. It could prolly be worth a lot more in the future.

Texas should go after Urban Meyer!

If Saban takes this job, being "comfortable" is clearly not something that he strives for. Guy is a different breed. Paying that kind of money and with his pedigree they will expect mutli national championships. Seems like Saban thrives on those types of challenge and pressure. Not really anyone like him in college today.

I just don't believe Saban is coming to Austin. Not sure why I don't believe all the smoke, just can't get there.

We'll see.

There isn't a coach in CFB who is making an informed decision if they turn down the Texas job IMO

It really is a great place to coach - city, resources, facilities, tradition, fans who expect a lot but aren't schizo, a soft media, a conference ripe for the picking, you name it...

What does no buyout mean in a world where contracts hold no water?

probably nothing here. Even if he had a buyout, Texas would probably pay it. It would probably keep NFL teams away if the buyout was large enough. I think Bill O'Brien has a fairly large buyout at Penn State ( could be wrong)

As some may deduce, I am a Texas guy, have lived in Austin all my life, and have lived and died with the program. Brown gets credit for restoring our program, bringing in a shitload of money, and bringing Vince Young to Austin. The latter took this team on his shoulders, somewhat ran it, and ultimately won a national championship.

The championship was 8 long years ago. Subsequently, Brown never recovered from the loss to Bama in the 2010 title game. Since then he has been mired in mediocrity: a .500 record in conference, 14-11 at home, 0-8 at home vs. top 25 teams, whiffing on several recruiting classes, etc. etc. Overall, he's also been at the helm for the 4 worst losses in 121 years of Texas football: 4 inexplicable disembowelments at the hands of OU. That's OU,our only rival. This was going to be the "no excuses" year - 19 starters back, a weak conference, and everything lined up for him to right the ship. Instead we had multiple 20+ point embarrassing losses topped by a final one to Baylor with everything on the line. A Baylor team that used to be a laughingstock to Texas, but now led by a coach with vigor, intensity, desire and one who emphasizes accountability. In other words, everything Mack Brown doesn't have or do now. And while Brown won a lot of games for us, he didn't win near enough of the ones that counted. That's what you see with a coach who has won 2 conference titles in 30 years of coaching. 2 in 30 years.

Brown needs to go, and thankfully he is. He doesn't deserve to make any decision on whether he should leave or stay. No one person is that big within the scope of our program. He does deserve to determine how he leaves. He may have screwed that pooch though. Regardless, I am fucking giddy tonight because we are finally getting change. Whether that be Saban, Satan or someone else, I really don't care at this point. We're just getting change, period.
We have talked here on the forum and I can tell you have a good pulse on the program. I said a few years ago he should be let go. After the Ship and the runner up, like you said; he deserved his own execution. Now he has to commit hari kari. He was afforded every right before...hey he wants to get paid and have his due respect. He will get both.

But....shame on TX for letting this go on(And I mean like shame for being shitty at football). If they get Saban, what a win. If not, they better make a splash.

As a college football fan, I hope that fucking Saban goes. Last stop before he goes to the Cowboys.

Bama fans need not shit themselves yet, but if they do not think this is a real possibility, they are very foolish.

If Saban takes this job, being "comfortable" is clearly not something that he strives for. Guy is a different breed. Paying that kind of money and with his pedigree they will expect mutli national championships. Seems like Saban thrives on those types of challenge and pressure. Not really anyone like him in college today.
Pressure? Is the B12 playing champ games next year? They may I am not sure. Not being funny here braves but you do understand the magnitude of Saban at TX right? It only gets easier at TX...If Bama was a sleeping giant, TX is 5-10X that...

It really is a great place to coach - city, resources, facilities, tradition, fans who expect a lot but aren't schizo, a soft media, a conference ripe for the picking, you name it...
Anyone who watches CFB knows

THE BEST JOB IN CFB

bama fans know this, USC fans, on and on and on

We have talked here on the forum and I can tell you have a good pulse on the program. I said a few years ago he should be let go. After the Ship and the runner up, like you said; he deserved his own execution. Now he has to commit hari kari. He was afforded every right before...hey he wants to get paid and have his due respect. He will get both.

But....shame on TX for letting this go on(And I mean like shame for being shitty at football). If they get Saban, what a win. If not, they better make a splash.

As a college football fan, I hope that fucking Saban goes. Last stop before he goes to the Cowboys.

Bama fans need not shit themselves yet, but if they do not think this is a real possibility, they are very foolish.

It's shame on an old AD who was counting money by the buckets and didn't want confrontation, again emphasizing accounting over accountability. And 2 or 3 really, really deep pockets who loved having Brown on speed dial and at a moment's notice could go over to his house for movie night. And during this past 4 to 5 year period, the entire program got really, really soft, stale, old and stagnant. It's pervasive throughout our entire athletics dept. Most ath depts have a 2 or 3:1 athlete:employee ratio. Ours is closer to 1:1. We are a fat, entitled, filthy rich program and a new AD's been brought in to clean the first two components up. Patterson's work is cut out for him.

Ultimately, with football, something finally had to give. But you are right, it's pathetic it got to this point.

Age, involvement of boosters, and increased media obligations are three reasons I could see Saban not going. Is Texas going to give him total control of the program? Is Texas prepared to invest that heavily in a guy older than Mack? I'm asking seriously. Sure it could happen, but hearing some positives from the Alabama side. If he does go, we'll know tomorrow I'd guess. Otherwise, it's an NFL guy or jimbo

The LHN obligations aren't in stone, so the media obligations aren't a huge issue. And as mentioned above, the Austin media is soft, so that's a plus. The new AD's job is going to be managing the deep pockets and keeping them the fuck out out of the way (at least moreso than they were with Brown). The age thing, I get it. Like I said, just don't see Saban coming here. I'll drink even more celebratory if he does.

Whoever comes in will have total control of the program IMO. Seems like lots of things happening within the program to make sure that's the case.

Pressure? Is the B12 playing champ games next year? They may I am not sure. Not being funny here braves but you do understand the magnitude of Saban at TX right? It only gets easier at TX...If Bama was a sleeping giant, TX is 5-10X that...

not sure of your confusion here, twink. Im not being funny, do you think this job does not come with pressure?

He would no bet coming here to win Big 12 championships, I think you u/s that

Paul Finebaum - an extension has been on Saban's desk since Friday, he has not responded

I don't see Saban going to Texas. He may leave Bama at some point, and Texas is a great job under the right circumstance , but right now it is too unsettled.

New AD, hired by a president who is fighting for his own job. Regents appointed by a governor who is an enemy of the president (not to mention a graduate of aTm) and wants him out, a horrible job situation for anyone.

Then add in all the various big money guys who are filling the power vacuum left by a weakened president. No one knows how long the president is going to last and who the next one will be. That's one of the reasons Mack's job situation has been handled in such an amateurish manner.

Regents flying off on their own to offer the job to a coach from another school while other regents and big money men are supporting Mack and fighting for power. Several different regents and power brokers claiming to speak for the University.

Few schools are as disorganized in the front office as the suits at Texas are right now.

A coach wants a president and AD who have control and who will handle the business side and leave him to do his job and protect him from the political infighting that occurs at most big universities.

Saban has that right now at Bama.

I think Saban is all a distraction. Have the masses looking one way, while doing a deal the other way. Who is Sabans agent? No idea, but i bet the guy that gets hired has the same agent

Bama will be ok if he goes..Kirby has been groomed forever...a younger nick.

didn't know that sigo..still tho..

Bama must have a contingency plan a whole lot better then that one. A young guy with no previous head coaching experience running one of the best pregrams in the country in arguably the toughest conference. He maybe have been groomed for the top job, but experience counts.

See Muschamp, Will

If that were to happen, and I don't think it will, I think Bama would stick with Kirby. Ideally, I think they would like to have more time to groom him (That feels silly to say bc I don't know how one is groomed in said setting) but I think maybe him taking a South Carolina job for a few years and then coming back to Bama when Saban leaves would be an ideal way to do things.

The more I think about it with the Sexton angle in play and the fact that a new Bama contract has been on Saban's desk for a few days now (from what I've read) is that floating the Texas rumors and leveraging higher pay for assistants (Kirby is a Sexton client), which Saban often lobbies for, is this could be a play to get the assistants major raises while cementing Kirby sticks around as Saban would likely hand pick him as successor a fe years down the road. Maybe I'm grasping but I think it could be what's going on..

Its like ncaa football on play station, once you build your dynasty and keep on winning, the fun is kind of gone. so you take another job and build that program to really stroke your ego, not to mention fluff your bank account.

we'll see, but i think and saban knows this, if he takes the texas job and wins championships he will go down as the greatest college coach in history. if he won 2 at texas, i doubt that could be argued.

ib1D9qkyHyfLRF.gif

The more I think about it with the Sexton angle in play and the fact that a new Bama contract has been on Saban's desk for a few days now (from what I've read) is that floating the Texas rumors and leveraging higher pay for assistants (Kirby is a Sexton client), which Saban often lobbies for, is this could be a play to get the assistants major raises while cementing Kirby sticks around as Saban would likely hand pick him as successor a fe years down the road. Maybe I'm grasping but I think it could be what's going on..

i've thought about this as well. and for a few weeks, this is what i believed. but it just doesn't add up.

tom hicks called jimmy sexton about saban being a longhorn. sexton says, according to hicks, "it's the only job nick would leave for"

now, if jimmy or nick leaked that call, then the sexton leveraging angle would work. except that's not what happened. jimmy vertuno of the AP turned in open-records request, and hicks was forced to turn over an email that detailed the call he had with sexton. that's how the leak happened. there was no email with sexton, it was a phone call between hicks and sexton that hicks talked about in an email.

so sexton talked on the phone with hicks, then somehow knew that hicks would use his regents email account and detail that call via email?

that's some hard-core conspiracy theory stuff right there. just seems hard to believe.

I saw that since the Auburn game, Saban has had over 50 in-person visits with recruits. He sure is working pretty hard for Alabama still. Also, he has pretty much the entire college football media reinforcing that he is the best coach in the country. Recruits and high school coaches see that. Nice thought to put in their heads for recruiting purposes, no matter where he coaches next year.

Nobody knows anything right now, except Nick, Terry, and Jimmy Sexton. All these leaks are just wishful thinking from people who want to feel important and/or right on both sides for now. FWIW, McCarron's mom tweeted that he's staying

Saban has had an extension offer on his desk from Bama, since last Fri, and has not signed it yet. AJ McCarron's mom does not know shit. As if the Saban's or anyone close to them are going to give her a hint if he is staying or going. It's a lucky guess at best if she is right that's he's staying at Bama. Dan Hawkins is friends with Chris Petersen and said "he's not going anywhere" just a day or two before CP left Boise St to Washington. Meaningless stuff.

Nothing tops the radio show steve sark did an hour before taking the.usc job saying he was staying at wash...

not sure of your confusion here, twink. Im not being funny, do you think this job does not come with pressure?

He would no bet coming here to win Big 12 championships, I think you u/s that

The scrutiny will not be as bad as it is at Bama. As pointed out, media wise etc. Austin has a lot going on, unlike Tuscalooser.

There will be pressure, the scrutiny will not be like it is at Bama. Plus, the road to titles is easier.

The scrutiny will not be as bad as it is at Bama. As pointed out, media wise etc. Austin has a lot going on, unlike Tuscalooser.

There will be pressure, the scrutiny will not be like it is at Bama. Plus, the road to titles is easier.

I disagree. There's a lot going on Tuscaloosa. Got 2 malls now.

I think the pressure will be similar. When Saban was hired at Alabama, we were in the middle of losing seasons broken up by trips to the Independence Bowl and losing streaks to most of our rivals. Saban was expected to come to Alabama and get us back to competing for West titles every few years, maybe a national championship if we were lucky. The expectation at Texas would be nothing short of a national championship, probably multiple. The road is easier for sure, but he's only had one undefeated season, and that's what it might take for the Big12 champ to get into a 4 team playoff. If he didn't deliver by year 2, there will be a huge amount of pressure IMO

I disagree. There's a lot going on Tuscaloosa. Got 2 malls now.

I think the pressure will be similar. When Saban was hired at Alabama, we were in the middle of losing seasons broken up by trips to the Independence Bowl and losing streaks to most of our rivals. Saban was expected to come to Alabama and get us back to competing for West titles every few years, maybe a national championship if we were lucky. The expectation at Texas would be nothing short of a national championship, probably multiple. The road is easier for sure, but he's only had one undefeated season, and that's what it might take for the Big12 champ to get into a 4 team playoff. If he didn't deliver by year 2, there will be a huge amount of pressure IMO

Any Nick Satan coached team with only one loss would be playing in the four team playoff and that especially goes for the Texas Longhorns.

Agree with CG...it won't take much. Kind of like ND getting the benefit of the doubt, so will Texas. They just need a pulse, which they haven't had.

Agree with CG...it won't take much. Kind of like ND getting the benefit of the doubt, so will Texas. They just need a pulse, which they haven't had.

Y'all are probably right, but my point is that that is the minimum expectation for him at Texas, just like at Alabama. At least at Alabama he has some built up equity with the last 6 years. In Austin, it's final four or bust from day 1

I don't know if he's going or staying, but I think the pressure will be similar, if not more, at Texas than Alabama. Easier path for sure in Big 12

Back