Rexy's Week 2 Niffel...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Somehow managed to end up even as a bettor last week despite coming up with one wrong side after another.

Amazingly enough, in a $2k season-long ATS where you gotta pick every side, i finished 9-6-1 which is good for tie 15th of 41. Not bad at all. Guess I should bet the leans (yeah, right).

Just like I said last week, this league is a bitch to beat, and it was borne out by my results. The next tip comes in the most natural week for punters to overreact all season - week 2.

Let's try to remember not to overreact to week 1 scores. In week 1 last year, the 49ers went to Dallas and won, the 2-win Titans beat the 9-win Chiefs by 3 scores IN KANSAS CITY and the Dolphins manhandled New England by two touchdowns at home.

To tonight, and Week 2. Sharp guys on KC right and left, but I say they can have them.

I tried to evaluate what went wrong for the Texans last week, which is a side I also liked. It seems the simple answer is Brian Hoyer, but the Houston defense certainly had its own culpability, allowing that tight end to catch multiple touchdown passes. One time he was running down the field all by himself. Maybe I overestimated the Houston defense? If so, then the Colts will still cakewalk to another division title despite having a coach who is lost and a bottom-5 general manager in the league. But I digress.

Looking at the negatives for Denver:

The Bronco offense sputtered in a Week 16 loss at Cincinnati last winter, then got held to 13 points in a home playoff loss to the Colts. The effort last week has certainly squashed no fears amongst the Bronco faithful that there could be arm issues with the greatest quarterback in league history. Certainly, he seems to have lost some zip on some balls, but the problems seemed more evident last year when No. 18 was playing through a knee injury. He's supposed to be healthy now, though looked far from it in the opener. I'm willing to give him a mulligan there and chalk it up to his first full game in a totally new offensive scheme.

The Ravens came with double-A-gap heat time and time again, and the Broncos and the rebuilt O-line struggled with that pressure, especially with any that involved a slot blitz. Two first-time starters, a left guard that was brought in less than a month ago and a new right guard will make life very tough on Manning if he can't do better at identifying the pressure coming at him and the coverage behind it. Twice he threw the ball right to a linebacker (guy dropped both) and the corner pick-6 came on what I read on the All-22 as a Cover-2 trap... it was well concealed until it was too late and took away the exact route Manning was honing in on. These sort of mishaps have happened to a Manning-led offense before, but you can go back to the turn of the century and might not find them happen in successive weeks.

To be fair to new coach Gary Kubiak, it seems as though he's doing more to cater to 18 with some shotgun plays, less rollout (the one time he rolled left last week he missed a wide-open receiver badly. Knowing the kind of perfectionist Manning is, I wonder how many times he practiced that pass on Tuesday). Even three days of adjustment from all of the mistakes should be plenty here to attack the Chiefs. I would think Hillman is a better bet to get more dosage in this spot than Anderson. He looked more comfortable last week in the one-cut zone Kubiak schemes. The Chiefs were gashed on the ground at times last year, although Johnson's and Poe's return helps there. Still, the Broncos are 5-0 going back to Nov. 2014 when Manning has dropped back to pass less than 40 times and that should be the goal tonight.

On the other side, I'm very confident in the Denver defense to keep it as close as long as they'll need to. The personnel is all in place from last year's standout unit, and Denver's top-ranked defense also gets back free safety T.J. Ward from a one-game suspension. New coordinator Wade Phillips set Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware loose on a confounded Joe Flacco last week in some new 3-4 alignments. Jamaal Charles should find the sledding just as tough this week as he did last week in Houston. Don't expect the tight end to have any sort say-so on the game like last week. Where else are the Chiefs gonna turn? There still hasn't been a WR catch a touchdown pass from QB Alex Smith since the 2013 season.

Finally, betting the visitors on Thursday night has traditionally been tough once the season starts, but in division spots we at least started to see some teams have success on the road the last couple of seasons. This will be the first season I can ever remember when there are non-divisional games so the home team would be the side to shade in those spots due to the unfamiliarity and the travelling team (in theory) getting less prep time. Denver has no lack of knowledge of the Chiefs.

The Broncos are 6-0 SU and 5-1 ATS against the Chiefs since Manning arrived and the Broncos have won all 12 of their away division games in the last three years, covering in 11 of those games. Manning is 18-1 straight up in division games in Denver, yet they want to give them points here? Take them if you want, but they're not necessary. Visiting team 23-4 against the number in the last 27 KC games. And Manning is 13-1 SU all time as a Colt and a Bronco vs. KC; that's just the cherry on top.

Prediction: Denver 26, Kansas City 13
The play: Denver +153 medium 2u
Denver +3 +106 medium 2u
Total 4u big play

As always good write up Rex I appreciate the work you put in. Health on this one tonight though. All of this assumes that manning indeed has some left in the tank and he just hasn't proven that on the field at all as of late. Heck even his mannerisms in interviews is much different. He completed a decent amount of passes last week but averaged 4.4 yards per completion which is half of where he has been the past few years. I can make an argument that the chiefs defense is better than what he saw last week too.

Anyways, what are you leaning for this weekend? Dick Lebeau gets to face Johnny Football and he feasts on QBs who haven seen his defenses before. You have a take on that one?

Cleveland will be a bet for sure. tennessee ran a bunch of gimmicky shit last week and Tampons were not ready for it. Opening line of Cleveland 4 is what I made the game, ridiculous movement there and seems the public is all over Tennessee so they can have their 2-win team that did the same thing last year to open the season; I'll take the team that went 7-9 in a much tougher division that is the better team on both sides of the ball at home and now an underdog.

Health on KC. Just need the Broncos to establish some semblance of the running game. 18 doesn't need to chuck it 35 or 40 times per game anymore. The sooner he learns to manage the game and understand he can win because his defense wins, the better the Broncos will be. They already have the best defense in the league; just don't LOSE games for them...

I agree on Clev but waiting ...My best bet this week is over 41 in that game..

Had Tenny last week and cashed ...All my indicators have Clev by 5 +.

On Kc tonite tho...

Locked in Cincy , Panthers and Giants also.

GL

2H Denver +149 ML medium, 2u more.

One sustained drive either way in this game when you take out all the penalties and turnovers etc. KC's best drive was their first, and even that was penalty-aided.

UNDER is stone right, but now that Kubiak has finally waved the white flag and let 18 do his thing, the Broncos should run off and hide here.

GL...

:cheers:

I discussed this game with a friend this morning. He's one of the types I saw here yesterday in the discussion thread bad-mouthing Manning and saying he's got nothing left physically.

While that might be true, lots of respect to Kubiak for ceding to 18 and letting him switch the offense after 25 minutes. The Broncos had no answer for KC up front and had they continue to run the ball and not go shotgun, the Broncos might not have scored. His ability to rally from two scores down (with the defense's help, of course) is not something that a handful of QB's IN HISTORY could have done in that spot last night. There will be more bad balls, more flutters, more mistakes physically than ever, but he's still mentally sharp enough to help this great defense win games. Not nearly enough credit is given for that in this league. What a great man.

I made a long long post Rex about Browns agame but didn't want clog up your thread so I just posted under mine... Respect you tremendously, but I really think you need to tread lightly there

Last edited:
I discussed this game with a friend this morning. He's one of the types I saw here yesterday in the discussion thread bad-mouthing Manning and saying he's got nothing left physically.

While that might be true, lots of respect to Kubiak for ceding to 18 and letting him switch the offense after 25 minutes. The Broncos had no answer for KC up front and had they continue to run the ball and not go shotgun, the Broncos might not have scored. His ability to rally from two scores down (with the defense's help, of course) is not something that a handful of QB's IN HISTORY could have done in that spot last night. There will be more bad balls, more flutters, more mistakes physically than
ever, but he's still mentally sharp enough to help this great defense win games. Not nearly enough credit is given for that in this league. What a great man.

They were pretty fortunate to win, but the right team won and Den was definitely the right side. With that said, I think you nailed it. Once Peyton became "coach" the game changed. KC had total control, they fist fucked that o-line when Peyton wasn't in shotgun. I wonder wtf Kubiak tried to implement something new, Manning is smarter than at least 25 of the HC that have jobs in this league.

They were pretty fortunate to win, but the right team won and Den was definitely the right side. With that said, I think you nailed it. Once Peyton became "coach" the game changed. KC had total control, they fist fucked that o-line when Peyton wasn't in shotgun. I wonder wtf Kubiak tried to implement something new, Manning is smarter than at least 25 of the HC that have jobs in this league.

Im not really one to get into the right side vs wrong side argument but if a team needs five turnovers and a miracle play on the last play of the game to win it's likely not the right side. Did the Chiefs deserve to win that game? Hell no. Were the Broncos the right side? Not in my opinion.

That being said those that had the Broncos cashed the ticket so that's all that really matters.

While that might be true, lots of respect to Kubiak for ceding to 18 and letting him switch the offense after 25 minutes. The Broncos had no answer for KC up front and had they continue to run the ball and not go shotgun, the Broncos might not have scored. His ability to rally from two scores down (with the defense's help, of course) is not something that a handful of QB's IN HISTORY could have done in that spot last night. There will be more bad balls, more flutters, more mistakes physically than ever, but he's still mentally sharp enough to help this great defense win games. Not nearly enough credit is given for that in this league. What a great man.

Very well stated here brother. When Denver became the highest scoring team in the history of the NFL two years ago it was because Peyton was calling the plays. Lord knows John Fox had very little to do with it. I am not a Kubiak supporter at all. He is way too conservative a coach for this league full of dynamic players. If they are going to have continued success he is going to have to relinquish the play calling to Peyton, it's the only way.

While the bashing of Peyton's physical stature will also continue throughout the season, there is not a single person. player or coach on the planet with his football IQ. I fully concur with your assessment - in that he will win more games this year with intelligence and the defense rather than simply airing it out all game. The broncos are still a force to be reckoned with.

Very well stated here brother. When Denver became the highest scoring team in the history of the NFL two years ago it was because Peyton was calling the plays. Lord knows John Fox had very little to do with it. I am not a Kubiak supporter at all. He is way too conservative a coach for this league full of dynamic players. If they are going to have continued success he is going to have to relinquish the playing to Peyton, it's the only way.

While the bashing of Peyton's physical stature will also continue throughout the season, there is not a single person, player or coach on the planet with his football IQ. I fully concur with your assessment - in that he will win more games this year with intelligence and the defense rather than simply airing it out all game. The broncos are still a force to be reckoned with.

completely agree, was with you and hope people continue to stick a fork in Peyton because he's far from done. Still consider him way better than most in the league and his defense is fucking incredible

Im not really one to get into the right side vs wrong side argument but if a team needs five turnovers and a miracle play on the last play of the game to win it's likely not the right side. Did the Chiefs deserve to win that game? Hell no. Were the Broncos the right side? Not in my opinion.

had Denver and agree it wasn't the right side. Not sure laying a FG with KC was the correct one, but we were very fortunate to escape with a cover. I think a KC win by three would have been just

I made Car higher but pass with the LB missing. Who knows what to expect from Houston now that they're playing the right QB today.

Made Nola 9.5; how can they lay DD's to anyone considering their home form dating to middle of last season?

Like 49ers a bit but horrible sked spot with Pitt off extra rest and 49ers early start out east after late late Mon game.

Made Minny a smidge higher but need to see another week from both teams.

Made Buff a bit higher and only thing keeping me off them is the extra rest for Pats but Buff seems a complete team; let's see if the QB can keep it up.

Made Ariz a bit higher; bears seem like the sharp side but Arizona gets little to no credit. Palmer 14-2 last 16 starts and arm looks as strong as it ever has now that his knee is healthy. A pass for me as the Bears were the right side last week and a win would not shock me here.

I mentioned earlier that Cleveland is a play and i'm sticking to that, Browns +101 moneyline for 2u medium. See post 5 for details.

Made SD/Cin right at the price and look forward to watching.

Made Rammers a lot higher and am falling right into the sucker beartrap today. Win or lose, it's as square as it comes, but the Skins were balls-out last week and couldn't get there... and this team they play today is loads better than Miami. The play: Rammers -3 -115 big 3u.

Made Atl/Gmen right at the price. No clue.

Made Balty a smidge higher but seems Walters raiders and I not interested in either side after last week. I guess UNDER would be worth a look?

Miami too high in Jacksonville. Some Jag weapons banged up and out but the price is still too high. This goes to the wire, and I made Meemi only -2. The play: Jags +6 med 2u.

Made Philly a lot lower but that is also not factoring in the Dez injury (raw number), so i'm guessing he's worth 1.5 or so to the line at least. That would put me in line here but if this goes up to 7 then i will at least be mildly interested in Dallas.

Love Green Bay in the spot, and without Kam on defense i don't know how they will ever stop the best player in the league but i made the price pretty close to what it is and after what happened in the NFC title game i think that GB could actually be TOO pumped up here. Can't lay anything to gritty Bags.

Made Colts right on number.

I made every total within two points of current. Pass.

There you have it, 3 pieces, 2 against the public and 1 with them head-first. GL today!

:shake:

Rams offensive line allowed only two sacks to the Seahawks, but they turned it over three times, one for a touchdown, and allowed another touchdown on a Tyler Lockett punt return. The win last week wasn't as close as the final.

Plus, the Rams mauled Washington last season, allowing 27 yards rushing and collecting 7 sacks in a 24-0 blanking at this very venue. The line is similar to today's...

thanks for the thoughts rex was already on STL and was considering Bordelaise and crew with +6. Gives me a boost of confidence to see this :cheers3:

love the thoughts rex... i think i may have to nix some of my leans today.... the nfl is too fucking tough

One thing you have to admire about "the niffel" there is always a "new way" to get bent over.....:hang:
Need the "King" to avoid that:shake:

if it comes 7 flat i will take Dallas +7 flat only small.

Rammers absolutely wrong side. Shocking. I would only have Skins 2H also as the Rammers cannot run the ball nor stop the run. Then again I was skins last week so what the F do i know, missed it by a week i guess.

Can't polish middle myself so passing.

Back