Phillip Fulmer done after this season

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
Too bad Cutcliffe didnt stay for one more year. Looks like he already has the Duke program competitive. They would go outside of the program right Hile? Not somebody like Chavis?

I feel bad for his big ass....he is like a legend there.....1 bad season and bam, the pressure is so bad he has to step down.

I hate these college football fanatics that drive people out of town. I dont know if it is the boosters or what.

At K-State we had 13 straight bowl seasons or some shit and we were thrilled. Snyder had a bad year or two and all of a sudden people want him gone.....it is pathetic. Work 10, 20, 30 years to turn a program around, win a title (like Fulmer did) and now he is gone.

I feel bad for his big ass....he is like a legend there.....1 bad season and bam, the pressure is so bad he has to step down.

I'm not agreeing with the decision for him to go but you need to check your facts. This was the second bad season in 4 yrs. In 2005, they went 5-6, so your statement should read: "2 bad seasons and bam....."

A little more justifiable when you insert the real facts.

:shake:

Don't blame the fans, it's not their fault. Fans are unruly and unreasonable all over the country, but it does not mean you listen to them.

It was the decision of the AD, the President, all those suits upstairs. Blame them for caving in, but don't blame the fans who voice their ridiculous opinions all over the country and many deaf ears who ignore them.

I'd prefer chavis at this point, but I don't think they would hesitate to go outside the program to hire.

I said multiple times preseason that losing cutcliffe was their biggest loss. I'd love to have him back again now. We'll have to see I guess.

I just need to mourn for now

I'm not agreeing with the decision for him to go but you need to check your facts. This was the second bad season in 4 yrs. In 2005, they went 5-6, so your statement should read: "2 bad seasons and bam....."

A little more justifiable when you insert the real facts.

And an appearance in the SEC title game as well during those 4 years....not justifiable.

95% of the schools in the country would be thrilled to play in their conference title game.....just not the spoiled SEC folks who all think they should be #1 every year.

Look at the coaches in the SEC.......Petrino, Saban, Meyer, OBC, Tubbs, Nutt, Richt....it's not like Fulmer is dealing w/ Sun Belt here.

This probably has to do with what Phil did to Majors. Johny Majors was a legend on the Tenn. campus. Fulmer had alot to do with his firing. Most of the boosters have not forgotten the bad blood between them. I'm sure Majors will be extatic to hear of Fulmers firing. I will throw out "Brother" Bill Oliver. This is a guy who has a hatred for both AL and AU.

oh and in my obsession to find out everything i can about Will Muschamp, I googled the town he grew up in(Rome, GA) and this came up......:36_11_6::36_11_6:

back off he's coming to clemson

And he might do that.

Going back to speculation again.I think he would go to Auburn so every time he faces the Vols he would love to shove it up their ass.I know if I was a coach that would be my redemption.

If you were refering to Muschamp then nevermind this post.

And he might do that.

Going back to speculation again.I think he would go to Auburn so every time he faces the Vols he would love to shove it up their ass.I know if I was a coach that would be my redemption.

If you were refering to Muschamp then nevermind this post.

nah man i was talking muschamp. I would be on top of a building somewhere if we hired Fulmer:hang:

he can't coach worth shit. best blend of OL and rb in country or top 5 atleast and decides to pass pass with wanna be favre whata joke.

I hate these college football fanatics that drive people out of town. I dont know if it is the boosters or what.

At K-State we had 13 straight bowl seasons or some shit and we were thrilled. Snyder had a bad year or two and all of a sudden people want him gone.....it is pathetic. Work 10, 20, 30 years to turn a program around, win a title (like Fulmer did) and now he is gone.

I'm a UT grad and I completely disagree. The program has had no identity over the last several years. Player development and recruiting have taken a big step back. I have no problem with not competing for conference titles or on the national level so long as there is a clear direction toward improvement. Is there any reason to believe the situation would get better if left unchanged?

UT hasn't won an SEC championship in 10 years.
UT hasn 't been to a BCS game in 10 years.
Two of the last four teams will endure ..500 or less seasons. Keep in mind the starting QB was a HS AA who is a Redshirt junior who looked unprepared and wasn't ready.

Tennessee has routinely been routed in their SEC losses over the last five years in a manner that doesn't compare to any other school that is supposedly 'rebuilding'.

I like Phil the man, but it was past time for this to be done. Don't give me the 'he went to the SEC Championship game last year' garbage. That was the weakest division champ in SEC history that had a MUCH easier schedule than UGA or Florida and required SEVEN, count them SEVEN field goals that had to all go UT's direction for them to just make an appearence in the game and even then they couldn't beat LSU's back up QB.

I take no joy in Phil resigning because he loves UT and that's been his life but this had to be done.With the right coach, UT can get right back at the top.

This is one of those situations where from afar the decision might seem ridiculous, but it's absolutely the right move.

I agree that it was ABSOLUTELY the right move from a program standpoint. We need a fresh coach that will light a fire under the asses of all of this talent that is in and out of this program every year. The entire team has just looked stagnant all year. I'm a student here at UT, and I'll be the first one to tell you that our SEC East Championship and our trip to the SEC Championship was a stroke of luck with a little bit of football sprinkled on there.

On another note, I hate to see Phil leave. He is the only coach I have ever known at Tennessee and this change is going to be a very strange transition to the entire Vol Nation. If any of you have watched his press conference held earlier this evening, you can clearly see that Tennessee means everything to this man. It's his life. He is as respectable as they come and if anyone wants to say any different, PLEASE show me any instance of shady recruiting or illegal practices by him and/or his staff. This man has also helped shape some of the most brilliant NFL players of recent memory.

It was fucking hard to watch his press conference without getting choked up.

Thank you, Phil, for all of the great years and godspeed.

fyi for everyone later in the year, the game against UK is Phil Fulmer day, if this team has anything left, they will give it that game

Just listened to the radio and it seems Muschamp is the guy they want and even flirted with the idea this past off season. Leach's name is also being brought up as is Cutclife.

Who do you Vol guys want or what are you hearing?

Just listened to the radio and it seems Muschamp is the guy they want and even flirted with the idea this past off season. Leach's name is also being brought up as is Cutclife.

I like Leach. He seems comfortable in Lubbock.I have no idea if there would be any interest on his part to leave and start something new when he has a good thing going.

I like him because his style of play would recruit for itself at a school like UT. We all know that Tennessee doesn't have the recruiting base that other SEC schools do(especially when you factor in the current strenghts of other rival programs, this disadvantage is even more pronounced), so it does make sense at this time to have a goofy, alternative style of play.

Muschamp would be fine as well.

Lane Kiffin just signed with Jimmy Sexton, who is a huge agent for a number of CFB coaches. Sexton, if I'm not mistaken is a UT grad. I would love to have a youthful, exuberant coach like Kiffin coaching the Vols. That would do a lot for the program.

You aren't gonna see this name out in the media. But I have heard from a fraternity brother who now works for the athletic department, Jon Gruden.

Additionally I heard his name dropped on this radio show... after the link, under "What's Hot From The Roundtable" click on Clay Travis' name.

http://roundtableradio.com/

Just wait my friends, shit's about to get real on Ole' Rocky Top

I hope this gets as entertaining as the Michigan debacle from last year

Lane Kiffin name is brought up in every single coaching vacancy now. I think he gets the Clemson job. Muschamp goes to Rocky Top

You aren't gonna see this name out in the media. But I have heard from a fraternity brother who now works for the athletic department, Jon Gruden.

Additionally I heard his name dropped on this radio show... after the link, under "What's Hot From The Roundtable" click on Clay Travis' name.

http://roundtableradio.com/

Just wait my friends, shit's about to get real on Ole' Rocky Top

I have heard that name from a couple people I know down in Knoxville.

Sounds like the list includes some mentioned here (Leach, Muschamp, Cutcliffe, Kiffin) and some others that you wouldn't expect (Gruden, Butch Davis, Romeo Crennel).

My guess is that a million names will be mentioned, it'll come down to Leach, Muschamp, and Cutcliffe, Leach will back out at the 11th hour and do a hero's press conference in Lubbock (even though he was never planning to leave) and ultimately they'll pick Muschamp, especially if the Shorthorns sneak into the national championship or some other BCS bowl game. Guarantee if that happens Will Muschamp will not be on the sideline coaching the defense for Texas in that game....

Possible successors from the Knoxville News-Sentinel, many of whom have already been brought up in this thread

- Tim Brewster (Minnesota)

- Butch Davis (North Carolina)

- Jim Grobe (Wake Forest)

- Jon Gruden (Tampa Bay Buccanneers)

- Brian Kelly (Cincinnati)

- Lane Kiffin (unemployed and not who Al Davis thought he was)

- Mike Leach (Texas Tech)

- Will Muschamp (d-coordinator at Texas)

- Gary Patterson (TCU)

- Chris Peterson (Boise State)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OxxPntaAo

if they get lane kiffin they will regret it. have to have character coaches at the college level and this guy is a stone cold weasel.

I havent read much of the stuff put in here, but I wanted to say some stuff for what it is worth.

I personally know coach Fulmer. My father and he go way back to post college days when Fulmer was an offensive line coach at Wichita State University in Wichita, KS. My father goes to UT a lot to watch games, and my dad's best friend (Rich) other best friend is phillip. He goes to every game and Phillip calls him just about day to talk about things. My father and I thus hear much about what is going on in the program threw only 1!!!!! person, not media or threw the grapevine.

Therefore, I want to say first and foremost that Phillip cares about the players and University more than any of you realize. As soon as he knew he was about to be FORCED to resign, he told Rich that all he cared about was the wellbeing of his players.

I would agree that things have gotten stale with Fulmer as the HC there. That is one reason he tried to bring in a new OC (only bc Cutcliffe left) with a different style. This was mainly due to the personel they had coming back. Fulmer thought that with an athletic and mobile qb like cromptom (who sux in games but is apparently a great practice player) he could bring a more wide open system. Problem is that the system didnt take off with the players and therefore it was honestly going take a least a year to get comfortable. I really believe that with a good qb this team was going to be very good next year. Almost all there studs were sophomores this year and were thought to really take the next step their jr year.

The main problem I have with all of this is AD Hamilton. Ever since he was hired (which has been multiple years now), Fulmer has felt a large tension between he and Hamilton. Phil has felt like Hamilton has gone behind his back multiple times (of course this is out of the public eye and Phil is to invested in his team to make a big deal about it).

That being said, Fulmer will never coach again, Unless he goes back to UT (which wont happen) or he decides that he is too bored and misses it too much. I see him trying to become involved in the athletic department or as a football advisor. However, he will never work with Hamilton unless Hamilton gives him complete space. Phil is a man of honor and trust and he never got that from Hamilton.

Anyways, im tired of typing but if anyone has more interest, I know a lot more about what happened and dont believe any of the media garbage.

Back