PGA Championship Selection

I'm still not a fan of the PGA in May. I love a good ole August PGA still... Tough to build up the hype to be honest. Of course the 4 majors each around a month apart is great but I still would rather go 8-9 weeks between Augusta and the next one. I have two major sports in crunch time as is this time of year...

Soapbox ..

I'm still not a fan of the PGA in May. I love a good ole August PGA still... Tough to build up the hype to be honest. Of course the 4 majors each around a month apart is great but I still would rather go 8-9 weeks between Augusta and the next one. I have two major sports in crunch time as is this time of year...

Soapbox ..
I completely forgot it was this week until the figjam pullout a few days ago

Should be later in the year. Give Augusta more time to breath, and have late summer be busy season when no other sports are on besides bases

Really looking forward to this week. Three tourney match up caught my eye thus far and played each of them.

KH Lee +110 vs SW Kim: really like what I am seeing from Lee. I understand he is coming off the win last week and last year in the same situation he really struggled. I think that is why the odds are swayed this way. I see a completely different situation from last year however. After winning at Byron Nelson, he went to the PGA last year playing in his sixth tournament in a row. This year the spacing is much better as this will be his third week in a row with a T25 and 1st. I will take the plus money in this spot.

Herbert -105 vs Davis: both these guys have bright futures but siding with Herbert in this spot. Very solid putter and excellent around the greens. Cam Davis could sneak up and have a big week but his putting and short game are very middle of the road. Sort of having a golf crush on Herbert watching him progress. I hope he takes a big step forward towards competing in a major this week.

Hovland -115 vs DJ: DJ just does not look right to me of late. He seems to be fighting the driver to the left... I know he had a pretty solid Masters and I also realize Hovland struggles quite a bit around the greens, bus his putting seems to be much improved and he knows his short game is a weakness and I am guessing he is utilizing a lot of his practice time towards getting better at it. This is more of a feel play for me and the least of the three I feel confident in.

Looking to add a few more match ups possibly. Liking Billy H this week and may try to throw some on him in some form or fashion. I cant see how Bryson plays well coming off hand surgery, but I have no faith in Wolff right now. And that is the only match up I have available with Dechambeau...

Best of luck this week guys! Looking forward to seeing who you guys are playing this week.

The Tiger to make cut number is -125 @PaintCrew
I mean I'd play that. I think he gets around this place more than well enough to get to the weekend. I have similar concerns about endurance through the weekend like I did Augusta although he's in obviously way better condition for this.

I mean I'd play that. I think he gets around this place more than well enough to get to the weekend. I have similar concerns about endurance through the weekend like I did Augusta although he's in obviously way better condition for this.
Joe says that the biggest improvement since Augusta is his endurance... Fwiw

What are everyone's Bryson matchups?

BOL and PPH both tossed him as a favorite over @PaintCrew boy Wolff.
Yeah I've got him vs Wolff as well with my top 3 outs....at +125/130 you can almost be assured I'll be on Wolffy at that price. Granted it could end up being a bet of who finishes last and I'm not sure it's something I'd nibble on at 50/50 (because they are both giant headcases with infinite variance) but at +125 or more? Sign me up as this place honestly will suit Wolff very nicely IMO.

Although keep in mind for PGA championship it's T70 ties vs Masters (T50+ties) and US Open (T60+ties) or a normal PGA event (T65+ties) so although the obvious incredibly tough field there's a bit more margin for error making the weekend

The Open (British) is also T70+ties

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 8.40.36 AM.png

Just for fun take a look at the bottom of the board last year....a couple actual names in there but you can basically cut 25 names off this field before you start (if not more) when evaluating the cut line.

81 players made the cut last year but somehow the likes of X/JT didn't make it. IMO though the conditions at Kiawah led to quite a bit more variance than what we should see this year at this track....

Seeing pretty hot and 15mph winds on Thur/Fri, much cooler and rain likely all day Sat but not as much wind and Sun looks ideal

Re: Tiger and the cut: The field of 156 also includes 20 PGA club pros, a number of lesser players from foreign tours and former winners not likely in form. This from the VSIN crew this morning.

Bryson getting bet now...

-155/+135

I was not expecting that movement at all...
Stunning really.....i still think there's a decent chance Beefcake doesn't even tee it up after his press conference yesterday all the way until first tee but he's enough of a prick he's liable to play about 5 holes and then call it a tourney (which would be ideal obviously for us). Who knows really

Stunning really.....i still think there's a decent chance Beefcake doesn't even tee it up after his press conference yesterday all the way until first tee but he's enough of a prick he's liable to play about 5 holes and then call it a tourney (which would be ideal obviously for us). Who knows really
Steam on a lower level golf matchup can certainly come from the inner circle. Buyer beware.

Guess there's the legitimate question...if he starts and it's not working, how quick would he be to throw in the towel?

Everything about this course and the incoming trends screams Spieth to me. I like JT as well, but don't trust him in majors. I think like Rory, he psyches himself out. Based on the what I've seen of the course, looks like good iron players with good to great short games will be the ones who play well. Lowry, Speith, JT, Tiger, Cam Smith are on my radar. I don't trust Hovland to get up and down enough, don't trust Morikawa or Hideki's putter, don't trust Rory's wedges. Of course a better than average week in those areas and those guys will make me look dumb.

TULSA, Okla. -- Bryson DeChambeau appears likely to tee it up in the PGA Championship at Southern Hills on Thursday, marking his return to competitive golf after missing more than a month while he recovered from surgery to repair a bone in his left wrist.

DeChambeau, 28, has been out of action since early April, missing the cut at last month's Masters, the first major of the season, after carding a 12-over total in the first two rounds. He elected to have surgery on his left wrist to repair a fractured hook of the hamate bone. The typical recovery is four to six weeks.

"I'm proud of the fact that I'm here," DeChambeau said in an interview with Golf Channel. "I'm proud I've been able to persevere through it. I've had a lot of stuff going on recently and the game has not been a fun thing for me, so I'm excited to get back and give it another shot. Everybody deserves a second chance."

Asked during his practice round how his left wrist was feeling, DeChambeau was coy: "It's still attached."

Even if Bryson is healthy, I think rust is a real thing. He hasn't made a cut since Jan 9th. The last 3 rounds he played (all in Apirl) he shot 76.76, 80.

Now all of a sudden after hand surgery and only being able to practice for a short time (about a week) he is going to compete at a major? I will take the + odds and see how it shakes out. My guess is there will be multiple double bogeys or worse that will quickly derail his round. You cant swing that hard and not expect the ball to go off track and if he ends up in the rough, how aggressive will he be?

Might be a sucker bet, but had to bite on that -115 for Tiger to make the cut. Just feel he will do his best to play conservatively and hang around until the weekend.

Well...

Thursday is the day you worry about with Rory (just above Sundays).

This is one helluva start. Hopefully he comes in at 4-6 total.

This round can't end quick enough for Tiger...

At least we know the back 9 is where this course is gettable though...

Rory also be very happy to get this over with... If he had a bunch of holes left things could go haywire.

Back