NHL 2nd Round - In-Games

Yeah, that should have been the nail in the coffin and he's not getting the credit on Versus that he should. I don't think they saw it. They think it hit the side of the net, I don't think it did.

i'm tailing yinz guys on the under 5.5 in the late game....

We can make Santa an honorary Yinzer fi it wins, it's really his call. I like it, but he tipped me over the edge to play it.

u see the ridiculous line they put up for the pens/caps game tom.?

i mean i'm a HUGE pens fan, and homer of course, but caps +145!?!?!?!

do i have to bite on that a little or what...?

That under had to work about as hard as humanly possible to hit, by the way. It's gonna sleep well tonight.

Congrats Canucks bettors and fans, congrats under players.

why am I not suprised that it needed a minor miracle for a CHC game to go under.

And yet another 2nd round game sees the winner score 3 goals in winning. Are 1-0/2-0/2-1 scorelines banned from the NHL?

And yet another 2nd round game sees the winner score 3 goals in winning. Are 1-0/2-0/2-1 scorelines banned from the NHL?

fwiw, thats my semi jinx for a Ducks win at 2-0 up
icon7.gif

You may get one in Anaheim. Detroit looks jet-lagged tonight. They're a mess.

see my post after that one, Joe

Yeah, we were typing at the same time. Apparently that damn Southern Hemisphere gets preferential preference.

Either that or you have faster fingers.

Either way, hrumph.

So Detroit climbs back into the game, 2-1.

We're starting to run out of score lines that are OK for me.

Frankly, the only scoring I want the rest of the way is Detroit-based or nothing.

you have the Under I take from that ^^. We've had 1 x 2-1 scoreline in the past 25 completed games. Might say we're due another.

Who else smells a Red Wing goal coming any minute now? I'm gonna be sick when the Ducks lose this game in OT when they outplayed Detroit for the majority of the time.

if DET can only score on PPs, I dont rate their odds of winning - they may tie it up on a PP goal, but that's not that same as winning

That was fucking Brett Hull-esque BULLSHIT

MOTHERFUCKING BULLSHIT

what the fuck, does that ref moonlight for the NBA?

goddamnit

fuck

What a horrible whistle by that referee. I have the Ducks and think that that was bullshit. With the way this period has gone, I think the Wings take this into OT and win with momentum to go up in the series. Now they're down 2-1 with a must-win in Game 4 in this environment.

Hiller won that game for them.

The Wings got screwed, but Anaheim was outshot by easily 20 shots. They may have been doubled up. Hiller's what got this win for them.

Congrats Ducks' fans and bettors.

Thank you, Gambling Gods for that under.

Pronger is such a prick, I love him. I wish my Flyers had made a more serious play for him after the lockout.

I wish my Flyers had made a more serious play for him after the lockout.

(shudder)

As a Pens fan I'm glad that didn't happen. In a city that encourages its hockey players to draw blood, that would have been one hell of a mix.

my .02

Ppl are going to think DET got robbed, but the fact remains - when ANA was actually playing, they got up 2-0. If it was tied 2-2, ANA goes back to playing again, and they win in OT. DET backers won't wanna hear it, but thats a fact. DET only got back in the game because ANA tried to nurse home a 2-0 lead far too far out from the end of the game. They keep playing properly instead of doing that, they win 3-1/4-2.

I agree Detroit didn't deserve to win the game.

I don't see much more scoring from Anaheim though if they continue to play like it's 0-0, though. That Selane goal was kind of a defensive mistake. This was basically a 1-1 hockey game. But again, Detroit didn't show up until they were down 2-0 anyway so they didn't deserve this one.

lucky goals come to teams who are actually playing - not saying Detroit wasn't unlucky themselves, but to me it'd have made no difference to the final result. Anaheim wins, as they did or in OT.

lucky goals come to teams who are actually playing

Agreed. Take time off in the playoffs and more often than not you're on a golf course sooner than you want to be.

I just got home and saw that called off goal for Detroit, thats fucking rough, I had the Ducks but still that is rough

It's one of those things that always sucks when it happens, but there's nothing you can ever really do about it.

Sometimes the quick whistle saves you, sometimes it doesn't.

Tough beat for the Wings, be interesting to see how they respond.

Not to mention, it'll be interesting to see what the line does. There's such a huge perception disparity between those two teams and as Bet says, Anaheim, in large part, has been the better team here.

Didn't stay up to watch the late game, so I just saw the replay on the quick whistle in the Ducks game. I find it incredible that the whistle actually blew AFTER the puck got poked into the net, yet the ref would still waive off the goal because his intent to blow the whistle occurred before the puck went in.

A smarter official might've blown the whistle there but quickly realized his error and pointed at the goal, and I doubt anyone would've been any wiser to the idea that it was a quick whistle.

It was said at the start of the playoffs that officiating was going to rear its ugly head at some point. Hello ugly head.

all gets a 'shrug' from me... it sucks at the timing of the whistle, but when he lost sight of the puck, which is when he's supposed to blow the whistle it wasnt in the net.

The rule is in place for a reason as the decision to brain to whistle is a delay.

Does it suck for Wings fans since it went in? sure... but it is what it is

NHL responds to waved-off goal in Game 3

Anaheim, Calif. -- E.J. McGuire, series manager for the NHL, served as the spokesman for referee Brad Watson following Tuesday’s game in which the Red Wings’ apparent tying goal by Marian Hossa with 1:04 remaining was negated by Watson’s quick whistle. McGuire said Watson wasn’t available for comment.

McGuire’s explanation of the call: "First off, as any of us watch on a replay, it’s easy to make the correct call. In the case tonight, the official was down along the goal line. He was moving forward toward the net to try to get a look at where the puck was. When he couldn’t see the puck, all referees’ instructions are to blow the whistle and blow the play dead. A combination of the black puck and the black pants may have been a factor. But when he didn’t see the puck, he blew the whistle."

On whether, in retrospect, a mistake was made: "He didn’t make a mistake. In hindsight, if he had a slow-motion camera to review it, he may not have (blown the play dead). He did what all officials are instructed to do. Blow the whistle when they don’t see the puck. And he didn’t see the puck. He said he talked to the players on the ice. It’s an emotional game. He wanted to explain to the players on the ice, as he saw it, the puck was out of sight and he blew the whistle. The assumption was that the puck was covered."

He is right, its unlucky for the Wings yes. But the rule is made to protect the goalies.

Back