NFL Offseason Discussion

The Browns are releasing Dwayne Bowe today.

I hope that's not how that guy's career ends, he was a great receiver for a few years there. I'd hate to see him leave on a year like that.

The Browns are releasing Dwayne Bowe today.

I hope that's not how that guy's career ends, he was a great receiver for a few years there. I'd hate to see him leave on a year like that.

Just the latest lazy overpaid bum to hose the Browns on his way out the door. 9-million. That's 1.8-million per catch.

Browns released Dansby too. They appear to be intent on fielding an expansion team next season.

Oh, I don't have a problem with the Browns letting him go. It was a good idea that didn't work and they should let him walk.

And I agree with you about the expansion team prospects of 2016. Which also helps explain our current uniforms.

Fun times. Fun fucking times.

My buddy (Skins fan) & I (Pats fan) were debating who has the best TE duo. He thinks the Davis pickup puts WSH in the lead with him & Reed. I'll take Gronk & Bennett any day.

Tip I think you need to reconsider bringing back the old avatar. That pic had me laughing every time I looked at it.

Tip I think you need to reconsider bringing back the old avatar. That pic had me laughing every time I looked at it.

Avy's in BAR's hands. I can almost feel a Cavs one coming with the Pistons on deck. Incredulous Lebron face after a foul, Delly with a bloody nose, something like that.

In a related story, the Browns & Eagles start the season by playing each other. On September 11th.

[Insert your own inappropriate joke here]

It's a huge haul to give up. Not sure if these 2 QBs are "worth it". I guess we will see.

What's weird is that Eagles seem to be targetting Wentz, but what if Rams take Wentz? Do Eagles/Rams have a gentleman's agreement in place where Rams have already told them they are taking Goff?

It's weird to trade so many picks and trade up NOT KNOWING if your guy will be there. Do Eagles have Goff/Wentz rated the same? That wouldn't make much sense.

Eagles may damn well win this draft

Browns did everything in their power not to lose it, but will anyway

Schefter is saying that part of the thinking was that next year's QB class looks worse than this one and that in context (Romo's old, Eli's old, Cousins is on a one-year deal) makes it more attractive to the Birds.

It's weird to trade so many picks and trade up NOT KNOWING if your guy will be there. Do Eagles have Goff/Wentz rated the same? That wouldn't make much sense.

Again, this is ESPN so take it for what it's worth, but they're saying that the Rams are leaning heavily toward Goff and that's common knowledge. So that means the Birds lean Wentz. That said, they also point out that you don't make this deal if you're not good with either/or. And they're saying that for both LA & Philly.

It's a huge fucking haul to give up, though. You're so right.

Basically the top of your draft this year and next? Jesus.

Grats Eags fans, if you get Wentz I think you get a really good one that can take hits and hit guys in the seam

You're really worried about how he handles the media gorg? Don't think he'll give a fuck once he's getting paid. Talent around him will matter, that should be the concern

Grats Eags fans, if you get Wentz I think you get a really good one that can take hits and hit guys in the seam

You're really worried about how he handles the media gorg? Don't think he'll give a fuck once he's getting paid. Talent around him will matter, that should be the concern

Yes I am

The 2nd pick for 5 picks? Wtf is wrong with these franchises? Don't studies show this is a really bad idea?

In making this deal, Eagles may also have framework for a Bradford deal to re-coup a pick or 2.

Gorg, in concept, I think this makes all of the sense in the world....but didn't they just sign him to like 2 for 36 million? What team would make a trade to not only take on a guy who has proven nothing, but also comes with a huge price tag? But then again...it's the NFL and dumb decisions are made every year like clockwork, so who knows.

Gorg, in concept, I think this makes all of the sense in the world....but didn't they just sign him to like 2 for 36 million? What team would make a trade to not only take on a guy who has proven nothing, but also comes with a huge price tag? But then again...it's the NFL and dumb decisions are made every year like clockwork, so who knows.

I believe the way the deal is structured, it's really only a 1yr deal.

Evidently they know who StL is going to take and feel comfortable in that. The talk is that the Rams are taking Goff.

Good point by Schefter, BTW, the entire top of the offensive staff for the Birds is made up of former QBs. Pederson, Reich, etc. So coaching up whomever they take shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not that mad about the gamble on Wentz. But more concerned with the behind the scenes stuff (i.e. making sure he is there at 2 and making sure we can trade Bradford). Also concerned because Eagles already do not have a 2nd round pick in this draft.

More developments to the story will surely come

He runs the west coast system that Pederson likes and he seems smart -- made line calls in College.

The obvious hesitation is the competition he faced in college. Calling audibles, protections, and making throws at the level he played at isn't even on par with major college football, let alone the NFL. By all accounts he'll end up getting it, but there's certainly no guarantee he'd be thrown to the wolves right away, especially with Philly having Bradford there.

Carson Wentz (-120) is a slight favorite over Jared Goff (-110) to be the 1st overall pick in the NFL Draft. (via @paddypower)

I wouldn't mind this for the Browns other than that the Browns really suck at the draft, multiple high picks never matter. They turn over the front office so much, they can always fall back on, "Yeah, but THESE aren't the guys who blew all those other drafts."

And their situation is unique with the quarterback search thing, it's gone on so long, and so many busts. Every year they don't get one keeps the team in a holding pattern and delays the process of moving forward. I guess Goff and Wentz just aren't their types.

The other side of that coin Tip is that the Browns have more chances when they spin the wheel this year. Will they fuck them all up? Probably. But you never know, give them a lot of chances, they might mistakenly choose someone awesome.

Let's be honest, we all pretty much expected them to fuck up the #2. This way maybe they've got a shot.

Agree with a ton of that.

Initially before he became a name, the Cards were targeting Wentz at the end of the first round and I loved the idea of him schooling behind Palmer for a couple years. Think it's somewhat important to do that but not vital, Tennessee has already won this draft because they have a QB (who coincidentally didn't need a year to develop) but I really do think a year or two behind someone who gets 'it" is important. Wentz won't get that, nor will Goff, who I'm not sold on. Lynch may end up doing well here as could Cook depending on where he goes. Not a Cook fan, but hard to dispute MSU QB success at the pro level.

Again, if you get Wentz, that's the move that needed to be made Eags fans. Just hope you can put some talent around him.

To KJ's point, if the Eagles are smart they're not even remotely building for this year. I'm sure the pressure for Wentz/Goff to start immediately would be huge, but it is probably smarter to start whoever it is on the bench for at least part of this year. Because Kelly basically burned the team to the ground. I don't see how it's possible to turn it around in a single season. If you ask me, they need this draft, next year's FA class, next year's draft, then they can start thinking about .500.

I think they gave up way too much to move to #2 but if th QB ends up being legit no one will care. I am tired of hearing of where Wentz played and the level. It's 1AA and they were the king of the hill there, they beat d1 teams. Like they play any fucking defense in the b12 or pac12. It's not the d2 PSAC guys he is coming from.
My entire probably is Bradford, just get rid of him asap. I don't care if it's for a 7th rd pick. You can start chase Daniel and sit the rookie behind him.

and gorg, ur media concern.. is the last thing anyone should care about.

The media concern is only real in a couple of places, basically Philly and NY. You can't be fragile around those media corps, they'll smell it on you and eat you up.

The media concern is only real in a couple of places, basically Philly and NY. You can't be fragile around those media corps, they'll smell it on you and eat you up.

Yes we always see the number one reason a guy fails, that damn media
not his pocket presence, not his ability to read a defense, it's that pesky media

I smell it here and am not happy about it. But several million could persuade me

To KJ's point, if the Eagles are smart they're not even remotely building for this year. I'm sure the pressure for Wentz/Goff to start immediately would be huge, but it is probably smarter to start whoever it is on the bench for at least part of this year. Because Kelly basically burned the team to the ground. I don't see how it's possible to turn it around in a single season. If you ask me, they need this draft, next year's FA class, next year's draft, then they can start thinking about .500.

I think Eagles fans would be OK with sitting Wentz early and starting a journey-man/bridge QB (someone like Chase Daniel). The problem I think most Eagle fans will have is if Bradford is not dealt. I understand they will have to eat some of the money (11mil I believe), but hopefully they can restructure some of that in a trade.

Wentz contract will be over 20mil, so Eagles will have over 40mil locked up in guaranteed money at the QB position this season. It's tough for fans to believe this management team really has a defined plan.

Some good tweets:

1) If Wentz is this so-called pro-ready QB, why sit him in year 1?

2) Remember when Bortles was supposed to sit in year 1, and started after 4gms?

Problem with a great get at QB (imo anyway) is that he needs to be surrounded with talent. If he's the most talented guy on the field (see david carr) that won't turn out well. Let Chase Daniel take the brunt this year while Wentz learns the gig and get him protected.

Why does he have to start day 1?
Even asshole Mcnabb sat half his rookie season

Back