****************NFL Draft Discussion and in game*********

also, so annoying how Detroit fans have this stupid pipe dream now that we're gonna get Watkins in the draft since he tweeted/instagrammed how it would be cool if him and Calvin played together. not happening. Watkins won't fall past 6, and Lions have too many needs to trade up to the first half of the top 10. I'll be happy with Mike Evans if he falls to 10, but scouts love his workout too, which might bump him up there.

still waiting for the onion article where blake bortles gf goes #1 in the most recent mock

may have too many needs, but that has NOT stopped them from trading up before and may not stop them here. Just guessin.

Khiry Robinson is the reason why the saints are doing what they are doing more than even $$. Parcells swore to Payton he has Curtis Martin on his team in Robinson. Sproles always been one of my favorite players, but he seems to have lost a step now.

Romo is a sick athlete. Scratch Golfer, Pro Bowl QB, silky Jump shot.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ws9dh4X_-Hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ESPN guys with some new Mocks up

1 Houston Texans- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
Analysis: The Texans are in some ways like Kansas City drafting at No. 1 last year in that they don't fit the profile of a team drafting so high. The personnel situation isn't terrible; the defense can keep them in games; they have a new head coach who has a good track record with quarterbacks and may not be content to wait on a rookie QB to develop when he could be winning. Mack is a fit in most systems, but he'd excel in this system as a pass-rusher and a player who can back up and make plays in space and to the edges. Houston hasn't been active in free agency, but Mack can fill a role and be a key contributor early for a team that can start winning again. And it's been almost a full year since a player from the MAC went No. 1, right?

2 St. Louis Rams- Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
Analysis: Even with the strange change of direction on Rodger Saffold, given the concerns about Jake Long's ability to stay healthy, starter ability at tackle is still a major question, and the Rams can't afford to be thin up front in 2014. I think this is an obvious spot where a trade could happen, but if you have the chance to draft a potential star at tackle in the same year you need to find out if the QB you've paid a lot of money is worth it, you may not want to overthink it. Robinson can be a special player, and the Rams would improve up front with him around, starting in Week 1.

3 Jacksonville Jaguars- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
Analysis: The Jags have done some work in free agency, with the addition of versatile defensive lineman Red Bryant among the notables. And while they need a quarterback, I don't think they'd pass on the most talented player in the draft if he's around at No. 3. The Jags decided to re-sign Chad Henne, and while I don't think they did so based on the idea he's an immovable object at starter, I do think they believe they can win football games with him starting if they improve everywhere else. And Clowney certainly improves a pass rush that we've been talking about as a draft priority for way too long.

4 Cleveland Browns- Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
Analysis: The Browns have already released Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell. In other words, the writing is on the wall and the depth chart has a pretty big vacancy. So they'll keep Brian Hoyer as a possible starter and draft a QB at this spot knowing it's not such a bad place for a young QB to succeed, given their ability to pass-block up front and the fact that they have some dangerous weapons in the passing game in Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. Yes, I can see either Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel here, but this is a bet on where the Browns end up after evaluating all of them closely.

5 Oakland Raiders- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
Analysis: The Raiders are actively trying to improve the offensive line in free agency, the Rodger Saffold soap opera not withstanding. Austin Howard is the one name in the fold so far. This is a possible trade-down slot given the many personnel needs this team still has, but it'd be hard to pass on the most NFL-ready QB in the draft, and a player who could help turn the franchise around. The current QB depth chart in Oakland simply doesn't promise much, so Bridgewater has the potential to play early and not just survive, but change the fortunes and direction of the franchise.

6 Atlanta Falcons- Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
Analysis: The Falcons needed to improve along the line on both sides of the ball, and while they've taken a step to upgrade their run defense in free agency with the additions of Tyson Jackson and Paul Soliai, the offensive line still needs work, and Matthews can come in ready to player on either side. Draft, start and throw away the key. I know a pass-rusher could also come into play here, but Matthews seems like an easy call.

7 Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
Analysis: The Bucs are going to be good on the defensive side of the ball. They've added a good defensive end in Michael Johnson and a good cornerback in Alterraun Verner, and they may not be done. But they also have uncertainty at QB even with the addition of Josh McCown. And whether it's McCown or second-year option Mike Glennon, another weapon in the passing game will help, and Watkins becomes a pretty good value at this point. His experience implies a player ready to succeed early; the offense will get a bump from his presence.

8 Minnesota Vikings- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
Analysis: As I talk to teams, I get the sense there's a great deal of uncertainty around the quarterbacks in this draft. But there's a point where uncertainty turns into a reasonable bet, and Manziel at this point on the board is closer to the latter. There are some decent weapons in place in Minnesota for Manziel. There's a great deal of uncertainty on the defensive side of the ball here, but it doesn't outweigh the questions at QB. Manziel could be the solution and, drafted here, there's no question he'd come in with a chip on his shoulder.

9 Buffalo Bills- Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
Analysis: I like Cordy Glenn, but protection was still a problem for the Bills last year, so I have them placing a higher priority on keeping EJ Manuel upright and shifting their attention to the deep class of wide receivers in Round 2 or 3. I've said more than once that I think Lewan could have graded out as the top tackle last year if he chose to enter the draft, and while he has the prototypical length as a pass-blocker, he really gets after it as a run-blocker.

10 Detroit Lions- Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
After the Lions signed Golden Tate, the obvious reaction is to think they go another direction here. I'll counter and say that the Lions didn't just need one wide receiver, they needed two, and I'd also say that while Tate is a nice addition, he doesn't do much to ease the worry of what this offense looks like when Calvin Johnson isn't healthy. The Lions shouldn't be done at this position, and I think Evans is too good to pass up here. Tate's presence doesn't mean this is no longer a need.

11 Tennessee Titans- Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
Analysis: Barr has seen his stock slip some, but he put together a good pro day, and gives the Titans another pass-rusher aside from Derrick Morgan. In general, drafting the best possible player supersedes need unless the value lines up with need pretty well, but this is a spot where the needs are multiple and I can just see the team taking the best player. Barr can provide an early impact.

12 New York Giants -Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
Analysis: The Giants are essentially without a decent tight end with Brandon Myers now in Tampa Bay. Ebron fixes that situation pretty quickly, and gives Eli Manning the kind of target I'm not sure he's really ever had when you consider the size, speed and pass-catching combination Ebron offers. The Giants also need a linebacker here, but I don't see the value lining up with the pick slot anymore -- and they haven't traditionally hit that spot in Round 1, anyway. Ebron is a player I can see landing in the top 10, so the value is pretty good here.

13 St. Louis Rams- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
Analysis: The Rams need another wide receiver, but if Evans isn't on the board here, they could also address another big need and grab Clinton-Dix to come in and start at free safety. Clinton-Dix has great range after playing center field in Nick Saban's Cover 1, and will come in ready to make an impact in coverage. Obviously, depending on the grade, St. Louis could also go with a player like Odell Beckham Jr. or Marqise Lee at this spot.

14 Chicago Bears- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
Analysis: The Bears have already added Lamarr Houston in free agency, but that's just a starting point on this defensive line, which is still thin and was absolutely gutted by injury last season. Donald equals disruption, and no player was more of a force against opposing offenses in college football last season. He's had a good combine and a good Senior Bowl and is now worthy of this draft slot.

15 Pittsburgh Steelers- Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma St.
Analysis: I could see Gilbert going to the Lions at No. 10, or even the Bears at No. 14, but somebody slides a few slots further than you'd expect every year, and the Steelers could use some youth at cornerback and would benefit from Gilbert's presence in 2014. No cornerback in college football was as effective or consistent as Gilbert in 2013, and he followed it up with a strong combine.

16 Dallas Cowboys- Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida St.
Analysis: DeMarcus Ware is gone, but even if he stayed the defensive line would have to be a draft priority. The D-line in Dallas needs a youth movement. If you just go on performance, Jernigan is a steal at this point in the draft and Dallas doesn't need to overthink it. But while Jernigan has good tape to fall back on, he could still be better and become a force for whoever drafts him. He's a good athlete given his size and will continue to improve his technique playing on the inside.

17 Baltimore Ravens- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon St.
The Ravens need to add another reliable target in the passing game beyond Torrey Smith, and while the diminutive Cooks doesn't fit the prototype of a "matchup problem" at wide receiver, he will be because he's so hard to cover. He's a more productive, quicker, stronger and slightly bigger Tavon Austin, and could have an early impact given all his experience. I think Baltimore could still make an addition in the passing game before the end of free agency, but this will remain a need.

18 New York Jets- Odell Beckham, WR, LSU
Analysis: Free agency factors here, but the addition of Eric Decker is only helpful, not a solution at the wide receiver position on this roster. And again, you can't overthink free agency as it relates to the draft, because the question of ceiling isn't the same. Beckham has a higher ceiling than anybody in the free-agent market, and has the kind of experience that could make him a quicker conversion than many. A great physical talent, Beckham has improved as a pass-catcher and pushed himself into this range in the draft.

19 Miami Dolphins- Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
Analysis: The Dolphins have added Branden Albert in free agency, but they could draft offensive linemen for another couple of rounds here and draw no objections from me. I like Martin in this slot given his versatility and play-right-away skill set. He can start on the right side, put in time on the left as needed, and could help at guard as needed. And again: The Dolphins need help up front.

20 Arizona Cardinals- Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.

Analysis: Free agency certainly plays a role here because the Cardinals put out a fire at left tackle with the addition of Jared Veldheer. Carson Palmer sleeps a little better at night, and the draft picture for Round 1 opens up. I like the idea of taking Dennard here. You already have Patrick Peterson and hopefully a healthy Tyrann Mathieu, but in Dennard you get another player who can play right away, doesn't get lost in a variety of coverages and will play physical and attack the line of scrimmage when you need him to. He could be gone earlier given the need at the position, but I like the fit here if he's around.

21 Green Bay Packers- C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama

Analysis: If the board breaks this way, I think the Packers are looking at the defensive side of the ball. And while I know depth on the defensive line is a concern, Mosley is a great value at this point and is a player who can step in right away at inside linebacker and improve the unit. His ability in coverage from the linebacker position surpasses that of anybody in this draft, and if he can stay healthy he's going to be an impact player early on.

22 Philadelphia Eagles- Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville

Analysis: The Eagles made a move in free agency and added Malcolm Jenkins from the Saints. In terms of starter-worthy talent at the position, I'll say that means one down and one to go. Pryor is the obvious solution here, a player who can hold his own in coverage but will come downhill against the run and be effective in the box. The Eagles are going to score points. They could use another option at wide receiver, but it's a deep draft there, and I think the focus will be on defense early.

23 Kansas City Chiefs- Marqise Lee, WR, USC

Analysis: The Chiefs are going to be a good defense again in 2014 if they stay healthy, but there's still uncertainty on the offensive side of the ball, and while you can question the ceiling of Alex Smith at this point in his career, the Chiefs feel they can win with him and also won't be finding a better solution at this stage in the draft. But they can find Smith some help, and that's Lee, who brings a lot of refinement as a route runner and the ability to turn a short catch into a big play. And if he goes this low, the chip on his shoulder could also help.

24 Cincinnati Bengals- Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio St.

Analysis: I've had Shazier as a likelier second-round pick at some points, but there aren't many players in the entire draft who teams are more certain of. This is a high-floor player, an instinctive playmaker who can chase down plays sideline to sideline and gets great reads and will attack the backfield. Shazier is a little undersized, but makes up for it with instincts and an impressive ability to work through blockers. The Bengals aren't awful at linebacker, but they certainly lack speed. Shazier is a fix.

25 San Diego Chargers- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio St.

Analysis: The Chargers have talent up front on the defensive side of the ball, but they were exploited in the secondary for most of 2013. They simply have to upgrade the talent level. Roby does that. He gets in trouble for his coverage tactics on occasion, but I'm not sure there's a more naturally gifted player at the position in the draft. He has speed, change of direction quickness, plenty of strength and a willingness to make hits. It's about consistency at this point for Roby, but I suspect his learning curve will be impressive.

26 Cleveland Browns- Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida St.

Analysis: The Browns aren't sitting still in free agency, but they aren't going to find a pass-catcher with this high a ceiling. Benjamin could have used another year in college to refine his skills, but physically he's ready to cause problems as a perpetual matchup threat at the next level. Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron are in place, but the third amigo could do wonders.

27 New Orleans Saints- Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn

Analysis: The Saints have made a big bet at safety with the addition of Jairus Byrd, but while the back end of the defense is locked down, and the front is in decent shape with the growth of Cameron Jordan, John Jenkins and Akiem Hicks, the Saints could really use an edge rusher. Ford isn't a three-down player, but he can be a constant problem for offenses when he's on the field as a speed rusher. Given the QBs the Saints have to deal with, speed off the edge will be useful.

28 Carolina Panthers- Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama

Analysis: There were some concerns about his medicals at the combine, but Kouandjio is going to come in healthy and ready to contribute. And it's worth remembering that he won't turn 21 until after the draft. While Kouandjio has a high ceiling, he's not merely a physical talent who could develop -- this is a kid who was battering SEC defensive linemen at the age of 19. If the health is there, so is the ceiling. It's a good bet for the Panthers at this point.

29 New England Patriots- Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

Analysis: New England obviously made a major move in free agency with the addition of Darrelle Revis, and I think the future of the defensive line could be a good place to focus their efforts. Undrafted rookies Chris Jones and Joe Vellano put in far too many reps last year, and it's time the Patriots added some ceiling at the position. Hageman is inconsistent given his physical talent, but good coaching could be the trick.

30 San Francisco 49ers- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech

Analysis: The 49ers aren't thin in too many spots, but cornerback certainly qualifies, and they could use someone coming in ready to contribute. Fuller has been good during the evaluation process and now seems like a reasonable option this high. With Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea on the back end, CB will be a priority in the draft.

31 Denver Broncos- Chris Borland, LB, Wisconsin

Analysis: Free agency rears its head. I actually had the Broncos taking a pass-rusher here initially, but the addition of DeMarcus Ware -- and I hope he stays healthy -- makes change an option. If you look at only the physical profile, you wouldn't consider Borland a first-round pick, but the tape tells another story. Borland isn't just a clean-up tackler, he's an instinctive attacker of the backfield, and a relentlessly instinctive player who can get on the field right away and make plays. I know for a fact there are teams that have him with a Round 1 grade. We'll see.

32 Seattle Seahawks- Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

Analysis: At one point I saw Tuitt as a certainty to go in Round 1. But while he's now on the edge, I think the Seahawks could develop him into something special. You see the physical profile, the versatility and the flash plays and you think he could be the next Richard Seymour. But it's not always there. That said, the Seahawks need to add depth along the defensive line after some departures. I also think the Seahawks could go with a wide receiver here.

McShay has the top 10

BiDzPkMCEAEBDRE.png

Don't think Cincy would pass on dee ford if he's there...

McShay has them taking Kyle Fuller, Ford not in the 1st round

Analysis: The Bengals need a cornerback, and Fuller is a guy who turned some heads with his combine performance. The two big question marks on him had been speed and durability, but then he ran a 4.49 40 and, from what I heard, teams didn't come away with any concerns about his durability. He has good size (6-foot) and long arms and proved to be an explosive athlete based on his test results.

if the draft plays like that for Detroit with both having Evans at 10

that offense next year is going to be legit, Lombardi bringing the Saints offense over and all the skill positions could be huge upgrades in Detroit

plays Evans in the Graham role, Mega and Tate outside, Reggie underneath

no excuses next year for Matty

if the draft plays like that for Detroit with both having Evans at 10

that offense next year is going to be legit, Lombardi bringing the Saints offense over and all the skill positions could be huge upgrades in Detroit

plays Evans in the Graham role, Mega and Tate outside, Reggie underneath

no excuses next year for Matty

in fairness unless they've improved the defense it's not going to matter much...they still can lose every game 42-35

Lions trade Suh to the Raiders and receive Rams #2 overall pick
Rams trade down to #5 overall pick (raiders pick) and receive an additional 2nd round pick and 4th round pick
Lions keep pick #10 overall

This could happen, the third one though is an extreme stretch. But one of those teams would select 10th and doubt it would be Raiders after receiving Suh and doubt Rams would want to drop from 2 to 10.

Stranger stuff has happened. I hope something like this does.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a little tired of this draft talk. Getting old. I believe others are getting draft fatigue as well.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a little tired of this draft talk. Getting old. I believe others are getting draft fatigue as well.

You don't live in Cleveland. Draft talk is more exciting than the games.

I wouldn't want any of this year's QBs with a top 20 pick but I think there's value in any of the guys that fall into the late first/ second round. Manziel would be #1 on my QB list though of the ones available.

I THINK Johnny goes to Jax, and Browns take best player available, according to Browns, which probably means 10th best player available. If Johnny gets past Jax, I think Browns take Johnny. Don't really see any of the top 4 teams trading down this year. Maybe, maybe Cleveland, but they already have a million picks.

Also, I'd like to see a little more of Hoyer, but he won't start over a #4 QB pick.

how many teams need QBs and how many are available? If the top teams all viewed the top QBs relatively the same they could all just wait until the second round and stock up on the top talent early because no team with an adequate QB is going to take any of this years QBs with their 10-30 pick. It won't happen but it would be wise if they did.

I saw a mock with Cleveland taking bridgewater with their second round pick... would make sense and kinda follow this logic.

Think logic kind of goes out the window if a team thinks it needs a QB. And for any player, it only takes one maniac in one war room. I bet all those guys AND Carr go in the first round. Half the league thinks QB is the big problem. And, remember, Cleveland also has the 26th pick.

If the Browns have to get Manziel/Bortles/Bridgewater/Carr probably forgetting someone ... I like Teddy. I still kind of like the Clemson guy too.

The talent seems too big in the top 5 for a qb to go there

Minnesota at 8 seems the first place one might go but if not then probably not until zona at 20

That's when I think teams get worried about waiting on round 2 and you see some trade ups to the 25-30 range for teams wanting a qb

Cleveland, Jacksonville, and Oakland seem most likely

Move up 10 or so spots and get one of the 4 guys late in round 1

The talent seems too big in the top 5 for a qb to go there

Minnesota at 8 seems the first place one might go but if not then probably not until zona at 20

That's when I think teams get worried about waiting on round 2 and you see some trade ups to the 25-30 range for teams wanting a qb

I don't know. I think Jax will take a QB. And Cleveland might. That's 2 out of 4. Browns are a very tough read. All new decision makers, tight-lipped.

The Manziel love in ctown (amongst the media and fans) is absolutely baffling to me. The guy will be as good a pro as Doug flutie was at best. That said, I'm sure they take him. Another 5 year setback for the worst run franchise in professional sports.

The Manziel love in ctown (amongst the media and fans) is absolutely baffling to me. The guy will be as good a pro as Doug flutie was at best. That said, I'm sure they take him. Another 5 year setback for the worst run franchise in professional sports.

I strongly disagree, the Lions are the worst run organization in sports.

McShay today

1.) Jadeveon Clowney - Houston Texans (2-14)
COLLEGE: South Carolina
Class: Jr
HT: 6-5
WT: 266
POS: DE
Analysis (April 29): I still think this is the best and most logical pick for the Texans at No. 1. They obviously need a quarterback, but there isn't one rated highly enough to justify taking him over the best prospect in this draft. Clowney is the most talented defensive lineman I've ever evaluated, and you simply don't get many opportunities to take a player with his physical ability. Houston can either target a quarterback with the No. 33 pick or trade back into the first round to take one.
2.) Greg Robinson - St. Louis Rams (7-9)
COLLEGE: Auburn
WT: 332
POS: OT
Analysis (April 29): If Clowney goes No. 1, I think this pick will come down to Robinson and Clemson WR Sammy Watkins. The Rams still lack a legitimate No. 1 target, but they also need to better protect QB Sam Bradford, and Robinson is dominant at the point of attack and has very good athleticism for his size. One bit of buzz to throw out there: Don't rule out Johnny Manziel landing in St. Louis. It sounds insane, and I don't think the Rams would take him at No. 2 and he won't likely be there at No. 13, but if they were to move down or back from either spot, it would be a possibility. Some people around the league think the Rams are capable of taking him even if they still believe that Bradford can be the guy for them.
3.) Sammy Watkins - Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)
COLLEGE: Clemson
HT: 6-0
WT: 211
POS: WR
Analysis (April 29): The Jaguars are another team that needs a quarterback, and it's certainly possible that they could go in that direction here. Khalil Mack also makes a lot of sense as a guy who could fill the "Leo" role in the Jags' defense. But Jacksonville has a need at receiver because of the uncertainty surrounding Justin Blackmon, and Watkins brings very good speed, acceleration, competitiveness and run-after-catch ability to the position.
4.) Johnny Manziel - Cleveland Browns (4-12)
COLLEGE: Texas A&M
Class: Soph
HT: 5-11
WT: 207
POS: QB
Analysis (April 29): I'm not sold on this one, but I keep hearing that Manziel could go early, and Cleveland is a logical landing spot given its need at QB. He's a leap-of-faith pick, as I've said many times in the past few months; he has a rare ability to create, but the team that takes him must be confident that he'll do what he needs to on and off the field to win from the pocket and that he'll be able to stay healthy long term, given his playing style.
5.) Khalil Mack - Oakland Raiders (4-12)
COLLEGE: Buffalo
HT: 6-2
WT: 251
POS: OLB
Analysis (April 29): Wide receiver is a need for the Raiders, which is why Watkins would be a good option if he drops this far, and they also need to upgrade along the offensive line. In this scenario, however, Mack presents a really good value. He's one of the four elite prospects in this class and would bring excellent pass-rushing and versatility to the Raiders' defense. Oakland can look at a receiver or offensive tackle with the No. 36 pick.
6.) Jake Matthews - Atlanta Falcons (4-12)
WT: 308
Analysis (April 29): The Falcons need to improve at the tackle position, coming off a season in which franchise QB Matt Ryan was sacked a career-high 44 times (previous high: 28). Matthews would provide help as an experienced and effective blocker in the running and passing games. His versatility to play either tackle spot adds to his value because it would give Atlanta the option of keeping Sam Baker on the left side or moving him over to the right.
7.) Mike Evans - Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
Class: Soph
HT: 6-4
WT: 231
Analysis (April 29): The Bucs have a big need at receiver opposite Vincent Jackson, and Evans is the second-best wideout in this class. He is very competitive as a blocker and runner after the catch and brings down a high percentage of 50-50 balls because of his size, huge catching radius and big, strong hands. One trend to watch: New GM Jason Licht used seven of his eight picks in the first four rounds of his two drafts with Arizona on prospects from the Southeast and Southwest regions.
8.) Blake Bortles - Minnesota Vikings (5-10-1)
COLLEGE: UCF
WT: 232
POS: QB
Analysis (April 29): The Vikings need a long-term answer at quarterback, but the presence of Matt Cassel (who did not play terribly last season) would allow for Bortles to sit for at least part of his rookie season, which is an ideal situation for him. He has prototypical size and good mobility, and I think that issues with his mechanics are fixable. I also wouldn't be surprised if GM Rick Spielman trades again. He made a shrewd deal in 2012 to move down and add picks while still getting Matt Kalil and then traded back into the first round to get Harrison Smith. He was active again in last year's first round.
9.) Taylor Lewan - Buffalo Bills (6-10)
COLLEGE: Michigan
HT: 6-7
WT: 309
Analysis (April 29): I've heard from three league sources in the past week that the Bills are trying to trade up. If they do make a move, it'll likely be to land Clowney, Robinson or Watkins. But if they're stuck at No. 9 in this scenario, I think it'd come down to Lewan and TE Eric Ebron, and their need to protect second-year QB EJ Manuel would be the overriding factor. (The Bills allowed 48 sacks in 2013, tied for fourth-most in the NFL.) I don't love the fit because both Lewan and Cordy Glenn are left tackles, but if the Bills made this pick, they'd have to be comfortable with moving one to right tackle.
10.) Darqueze Dennard - Detroit Lions (7-9)
COLLEGE: Michigan State
Class: Sr
HT: 5-10
WT: 199
POS: CB
Analysis (May 5): I had North Carolina TE Eric Ebron going here in version 5.0, and he would definitely provide the Lions with another weapon in the passing game. But their biggest need is at cornerback, and Dennard is our top-ranked corner in this class. The Lions haven't taken a defensive back in the last 15 drafts, but Dennard is a solid value at this point in the draft. He has outstanding instincts and is willing in run support.
11.) Justin Gilbert - Tennessee Titans (7-9)
COLLEGE: Oklahoma State
WT: 202
Analysis (May 5): I don't feel as though the Titans absolutely have to draft a cornerback here, as this is an underrated roster that is only a good QB away from being a really good team. But given the other available options in this scenario, Gilbert makes sense. He isn't very physical but has an excellent combination of size and speed to go with very good ball skills and playmaking ability, and Tennessee has a need at corner.
12.) Aaron Donald - New York Giants (7-9)
COLLEGE: Pittsburgh
WT: 285
POS: DT
Analysis (May 5): We've been pegging Donald for the Bears at No. 14 for a while now, but he might not last that long. He is in play for both the Bucs at No. 7 overall and Vikings at No. 8, and the Giants are another logical fit here. They need help at the defensive tackle position, and Donald is the best one in the 2014 class. He has elite snap anticipation and first-step quickness, and great finishing ability. LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr. is still a possibility, but Donald could be too tempting to pass up.
13.) Odell Beckham Jr. - St. Louis Rams (7-9)
COLLEGE: LSU
WT: 198
Analysis (May 5): The Rams got their offensive tackle with the No. 2 overall pick in this scenario in Auburn's Greg Robinson, and here they'll get their receiver. St. Louis is still lacking a legitimate No. 1 target, and Beckham is a big-play threat as both a vertical route runner and after the catch with his elite top-end speed and instincts in the open field.
14.) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Chicago Bears (8-8)
COLLEGE: Alabama
HT: 6-1
WT: 208
POS: S
Analysis (May 5): The Bears really struggled on defense last season, and while they've made some free-agent signings on that side of the ball, safety remains a big need. Clinton-Dix is a playmaker from the free safety spot with very good instincts, range and ball skills.

15.) Kyle Fuller - Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8)
COLLEGE: Virginia Tech
WT: 190
Analysis (April 29): I don't think the Steelers have to go with a cornerback here, but it's definitely a need position. The three players it came down to for me were Fuller, Justin Gilbert and C.J. Mosley. Mosley could be a fit, but I think the durability concerns will probably lead to his falling a little. I'm sure the Steelers would love to have Gilbert's playmaking ability, but they've always gone for more physical corners like Fuller over guys like Gilbert who don't get up and press and are poor tacklers. If they can find a way to trade back and add picks, that'd be a good move; they could get similar value to Fuller six or so spots down the board.
16.) Zack Martin - Dallas Cowboys (8-8)
COLLEGE: Notre Dame
WT: 308
Analysis (May 5): This doesn't fill a pressing need for Dallas, but there aren't any defensive ends or defensive tackles who make sense here, and this would be a smart move to solidify the offensive line and get one of the 12 best players in this draft at No. 16. There have been a lot of rumors about the possibility of the Cowboys trading up to draft Johnny Manziel, and to be honest, nothing would surprise us with them at this point. But rather than giving away a bunch of picks in a loaded draft, they'd be better served staying put and trying to bolster a depleted roster, particularly on defense.
17.) Eric Ebron- Baltimore Ravens (8-8)
COLLEGE: North Carolina
WT: 250
POS: TE
Analysis (May 5): I've had Ebron going as high as the top 10 previously, but I think he makes more sense down here at No. 17 for the Ravens. They need another pass-catching weapon for QB Joe Flacco, and Ebron is a big-play threat who can stretch the seam and also make plays after the catch. He has the versatility to line up in-line, in the slot or split out wide.
18.) Brandin Cooks- New York Jets (8-8)
COLLEGE: Oregon State
HT: 5-9
WT: 189
Analysis (April 29): Receiver, corner and tight end are the three biggest need areas for the Jets, and I think if they can get Cooks at No. 18, they have to do it. They added Eric Decker from the Broncos in free agency but still need playmakers who can stretch the field vertically, and Cooks provides that (fastest 40-yard dash time among wide receivers at the combine at 4.33). In addition to his speed, Cooks has very good route-running and run-after-catch ability.
19.) Morgan Moses - Miami Dolphins (8-8)
COLLEGE: Virginia
HT: 6-6
WT: 314
Analysis (April 29): The Dolphins should look for an opportunity to move up to get Zack Martin (the Steelers would be a good potential trade partner at No. 15), but if they stay here, I think Moses would make sense. I don't know that everyone is as high on Moses as I am, but it's hard to have a more glaring need at a position group than the Dolphins have at offensive line. They added some pieces in free agency, including Branden Albert, but they still have improving to do after 2013's franchise-high 58-sack campaign. Moses performed better at left tackle at Virginia than he did at right tackle, so that could make for an interesting situation with Albert slotted for the left side.
20.) Ryan Shazier- Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
COLLEGE: Ohio State
HT: 6-1
WT: 237
Analysis (May 5): As we explained in version 5.0, linebacker is something of a need position for the Cardinals. Karlos Dansby departed in free agency, and his presumed replacement, Kevin Minter, played just one snap as a rookie last season. And Daryl Washington is facing a possible league punishment for an off-the-field incident. Shazier doesn't possess ideal size for the position but does have very good speed and sideline-to-sideline range against the run.
21.) C.J. Mosley- Green Bay Packers (8-7-1)
COLLEGE: Alabama
WT: 234
POS: ILB
Analysis (May 5): Green Bay has spent its past eight first-round picks on offensive line or defensive front-seven players, so Mosley would keep the streak going. His long-term durability is a bit of a question mark because he was banged up at Alabama, but he is a relentless and very productive playmaker. He'd be a nice addition to the Packers defense and a good value at this point in the draft.
22.) Calvin Pryor - Philadelphia Eagles (10-6)
COLLEGE: Louisville
WT: 207
POS: S
Analysis (May 5): Wide receiver and cornerback are two other possibilities here, but Pryor also would fill a need at strong safety next to free-agent pickup Malcolm Jenkins, and he's a good value at this point in the draft. Pryor is an intimidating presence in the middle of the field with his willingness to deliver the big hit, and he also is capable of holding up in deep-half zone and deep-third coverage. He's a tone-setter.
23.) Marqise Lee - Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)
COLLEGE: USC
WT: 192
Analysis (April 29): The Chiefs could look to trade back here to get back the second-rounder they used to acquire Alex Smith last year. But if they stay here, a wide receiver makes sense given that it is one of the biggest needs on the roster. Lee doesn't have the timed speed of some of the other receivers in this class, and he had some issues with drops in 2013, but he has excellent fluidity as a route-runner and is faster on the field than his 40 time would indicate.
24.) Jason Verrett - Cincinnati Bengals (11-5)
COLLEGE: TCU
HT: 5-9
WT: 189
Analysis (April 29): The Bengals need to get younger at the cornerback position, and this is a good spot for Verrett to come off the board. He's undersized for the position but plays big enough to make up for it, and he can really stick to people in man-to-man coverage because of his excellent change-of-direction ability and elite top-end speed. Cincinnati's other needs are at defensive end and along the offensive line.
25.) Anthony Barr - San Diego Chargers (9-7)
COLLEGE: UCLA
WT: 255
Analysis (April 29): This could be a good time for the Chargers to bring in a developing pass-rusher like Barr, with Dwight Freeney getting up in years, Melvin Ingram returning from a torn ACL and Jarret Johnson's cap number for 2015 being $7.5 million. There's more finesse to Barr's game at this point in his career than I'd like to see, and he isn't a great finisher on tape, but he has upside as an edge-rusher because of his elite top-end speed for the position.
26.) Cody Latimer - Cleveland Browns (4-12)
COLLEGE: Indiana
WT: 215
Analysis (April 29): The Browns got their QB at No. 4 in Manziel, and now they'll add a weapon for him to throw to opposite Josh Gordon. I was really impressed with Latimer's tape when I finally got the chance to study him recently, and he's a really good fit for an offense like Cleveland's that figures to incorporate some West Coast principles under new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. He has good size, instincts, run-after-catch ability and toughness.
27.) Dee Ford - New Orleans Saints (11-5)
COLLEGE: Auburn
WT: 244
Analysis (May 5): I slotted Ohio State cornerback Bradley Roby here in version 5.0, but I think there's a chance his off-field concerns could cause the Saints to look in another direction. New Orleans would love to add a speed rusher like Ford who could have an impact coming off the edge, taking advantage of the crowd noise and turf at the Superdome.
28.) Joel Bitonio - Carolina Panthers (12-4)
COLLEGE: Nevada
WT: 302
Analysis (April 29): Two of the Panthers' glaring needs are at wide receiver and offensive tackle, and Bitonio has the potential to develop into Jordan Gross' replacement at left tackle. He doesn't have ideal length but possesses quick feet and good balance. Moreover, he's a tone-setting finisher who gives excellent effort. He's ideally suited for a zone-blocking scheme like Carolina's.
29.) Stephon Tuitt - New England Patriots (12-4)
COLLEGE: Notre Dame
WT: 304
Analysis (May 5): The Patriots could use some help along the defensive line, and Tuitt brings good versatility to the table. He is a top-15 player in this class based purely on talent, but there are some concerns with his motor and consistency. At this point in the first round, however, he's worth the risk.
30.) Ra'Shede Hageman - San Francisco 49ers (12-4)
COLLEGE: Minnesota
WT: 310
POS: DT
Analysis (May 5): A wide receiver is certainly a possibility here, but I don't know that there's an available speed receiver who makes sense. Cornerback is another option, but Bradley Roby is the highest-rated CB available and I'm not sure the Niners would want to bring him in the fold right now, given his recent off-field issues. If they like Hageman, he is a good value pick at this point in the first round, as he possesses an elite size-speed combo and could contribute in a rotation. The Niners are also a candidate to trade back or up from this slot. If a team such as the Texans or Jaguars wants to trade back into the first round to get their QB (in part so they can have a fifth-year option on one, in the event that their pick pans out, which is afforded to teams for first-round picks but not second-rounders), this could be a good pick to target.
31.) Xavier Su'a-Filo - Denver Broncos (13-3)
COLLEGE: UCLA
WT: 307
POS: OG
Analysis (May 5):Guard is a need area for the Broncos, and most important, they need a player who can come in right away and have an impact his rookie season, as they are in win-now mode with the 38-year-old Peyton Manning at quarterback. Su'a-Filo shows good fight at the point of attack and good initial quickness.
32.) Kony Ealy - Seattle Seahawks (13-3)
COLLEGE: Missouri
WT: 273
Analysis (May 5): I had Stephon Tuitt going here in version 5.0, but in this scenario he's already off the board. Ealy is another potential option along the defensive line, as his versatility and pass-rushing ability would be welcomed in Seattle's defense. The Seahawks also could go with a receiver here, possibly Fresno State's Davante Adams or Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews.

I never really heard much about Mack until the draft talk heated up. And I live in the heart of MAC country. Skeptical hippo is skeptical.

Yeah, yeah. Not drafting that guy in the top 5, although apparently that's the plan.

Any team passing on Matthews for Mack would be ignoring the dosage index.

I dont understand how any team can even think about drafting Manziel,what am I missing ?
He will be carted off the field,probably dead...he gave us so much entertainment but its just not going to work,but wtf do I know,Im English

sorry,what brought that on was;had Mike & Mike on the radio at work and they was saying that there was rumours Jerry Jones wanted JFF,wtf :hang:

I hammered Manziel over 5.5 last night at +110 and some more today at -130. Half the teams on the top 10 want out but nobody wants up.....I bet he goes mid teens. Dallas wouldn't surprise me or Browns move up from their 20 something spot but they aren't takin him at 4. Earliest I could see is Tampa at 7.

Mayock has Manziel going to Dallas. His mock drafts are usually pretty good. He also has the Raiders taking Watkins at 5 and trading back into the end of Rd one and picking up Carr

As a Raiders fan I'd be pretty stoked with either Watkins or Mack at five. Seems like there is a good chance one of them falls to five. If not just take the best tackle on the board.

You guys have to admit this is one of the most clusterfuk drafts in years! Not sure whats gonna happen or is that every year and I just miss it?

Back