NFL championship games/LINES/DISCUSSION.

J.C.!!!

Pretty much a regular
3:00 pm (FOX) NFL Conference Championship
313 Philadelphia Eagles -3½ +100 48
314 Arizona Cardinals -120

6:30 pm (CBS) NFL Conference Championship
315 Baltimore Ravens
316 Pittsburgh Steelers -5 33½

Does anyone know the last time a team was a home dog in a conference championship game?

werent the Giants a small dog vs Minnesota when they beat them 41-0 to play the Ravens in the SB.

I remember them being even money SU for that game.

werent the Giants a small dog vs Minnesota when they beat them 41-0 to play the Ravens in the SB.

I remember them being even money SU for that game.

Really? I remember that Minnesota team and they were doo doo, no defense. Either way, really odd seeing a home dog in a championship game.

can't believe Ariz is catching a fg at positive vig at home.. Public will load Philly..

love this spot... ariz

Really? I remember that Minnesota team and they were doo doo, no defense. Either way, really odd seeing a home dog in a championship game.

They still had Moss, and they'd beaten the Saints who'd beaten the season befores SB champs, the "greatest show on turf" Rams. So their side of the draw was considered far tougher. Giants beat Philly, who'd beaten Tampa, and the latter 2 teams were only just beginning to make their mark in the NFC playoff picture.

Well guys I said it before & I'll say it again...I smell a turnpike S.B. coming our way!!!!!!!!!

I think Pitt is gonna cremate Balto but the dogs are temping in the playofffs........

I also think Phila can beat Ari

can't believe Ariz is catching a fg at positive vig at home.. Public will load Philly..

love this spot... ariz

How do you figure? All the factors you list above seem like very attractive things to most bettors, don't you think? I personally feel like this line was set to discourage people to bet on Philly, but maybe I'm off here.

How do you figure? All the factors you list above seem like very attractive things to most bettors, don't you think? I personally feel like this line was set to discourage people to bet on Philly, but maybe I'm off here.

East coast bias and surface level capping I THINK will create a positive betting percentage on Philly.. Could be wrong and don't really care... Suspect the CTG percentage will be on Ariz and the public percentage on Philly...Again could be wrong bro.

People remember the Ariz team from years past and also the Ariz team that gave a lackluster effort after they clinched.. Ariz was pretty damn good team middle of the year for a long stretch.. Now they have it back and have actually exceeded their best stretch.. Defense, Warner (experience) and the best set of WR's left in the playoffs, at home, catching points at plus vig..

Public will load Philly..

Well, I do like them. That said, Tee's right, this game should be much closer to a PK.

Never lay more than 3 with the Eagles in the playoffs unless it's a very special situation.

By the way, right now on ESPNews it is hilarious. Eric Allen and this ESPN guy are yelling at each other, the ESPN dude is obviously a Giants fan. It's awesome.

**Edit: the ESPN guy was/is Mike Hill, it was great TV**

East coast bias and surface level capping I THINK will create a positive betting percentage on Philly.. Could be wrong and don't really care... Suspect the CTG percentage will be on Ariz and the public percentage on Philly...Again could be wrong bro.

People remember the Ariz team from years past and also the Ariz team that gave a lackluster effort after they clinched.. Ariz was pretty damn good team middle of the year for a long stretch.. Now they have it back and have actually exceeded their best stretch.. Defense, Warner (experience) and the best set of WR's left in the playoffs, at home, catching points at plus vig..

I respect your thoughts, and do agree with you about the East Coast bias. However, I do think people are going to take into account that Ariz is at home, you're getting points with them, and they have played great 2 weeks in a row. Philly? I thought the defense looked very good both weeks, but offensively they are in a major rut. Asante Samuel has essentially scored half of their 4 TDs this postseason and Westbrook has been shut down apart from 1 screen pass. Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective, but if I'm Joe Public, I have a hard time betting on a team that is laying points who can't score against a hot team that's averaging 31.5 points a game in the playoffs.

We'll have to see how it plays out this week.

Interesting that the 4 teams that remain all got here on turnovers. These will be a capping nightmare.

I think it is strange that Zona is getting 3 at home....why? b/c Philly beat their asses by 28 points in Nov. ...the thing that is weird is that Zona got beat in Philly.....this line is confusing me alittle....:consoling1:

I think it is strange that Zona is getting 3 at home....why? b/c Philly beat their asses by 28 points in Nov. ...the thing that is weird is that Zona got beat in Philly.....this line is confusing me alittle....:consoling1:

Cardinals were getting 10 after losing to the Panthers in Carolina.

Now they are getting three at home. The value is with Arizona. Leaning on them even though I got a nice future bet on the Eagles and rooting for them. I will go back and forth with this one all week.

Does anyone know the last time a team was a home dog in a conference championship game?

2004: steelers +3 vs patriots
SU: Loss, ATS: Loss

2000: giants +2.5 vs vikings
SU: Win, ATS: Win

1997: steelers +3 vs broncos
SU:Loss, ATS: Push

1997: 49ers+2.5 vs packers

1993: dolphins +3.5 vs bills

1988: bears +1 vs 49ers

since 1983 homedogs in a CCG are 1-5 SU and 1-4-1 ATS.

I think I'll be backing the two teams that came out and WON their games this past weekend - Arizona & Pittsburgh.

God these games have been awful.

I heard an interesting stat over the weekend from Brian Billick on ESPN radio....basically Billick said that the rookie qb's (Ryan and Flacco) were 0-9 or 0-10 in games this year in which they threw 30 or more passes. Flacco passed 22 times in the Titans win this weekend. Pitt/Balty is tough. Watching the game this weekend, not sure if Balty has anything left in the tank. Pitt looked energized!

I think I'll be backing the two teams that came out and WON their games this past weekend - Arizona & Pittsburgh.

God these games have been awful.

These are the two I'm leaning strongly to as well. Not the sole reason I'm backing them, but the other two won against teams that could not execute whatsoever.

As for the Zona line, I think the perception is still that Zona is not for real. The Eagles are the "hot" team (thought the same could be said for AZ). The Eagles just beat the mighty (lol) Giants, defending superbowl champs, and as always, an East coast bias. Everyone is also being reminded of the drubbing Zona took at the hands of the Eagles earlier in the season (line in that game?) and now all you have to lay is a nice little fg with a Eagle team that is "hotter" than they were when the two teams first met.
I do hate to see that Conf Champ stat on home dogs performing so badly ATS-wise, though.

Will have to check out the Ravens injuries, looks like some key defensive guys are hurting, right? Willie Parker looked great, and while he definitely will have a harder time against the Ravens, it was good to see that he is @ 100%. I think this is the end of the line for the Ravens.

Guys, is this Pitt line moving UP????

I'm thinking of buyin two points to -3 @ -165?

i thought it was going down?

I just bought it @ -165 for 4.95u to win 3u...at betjam

where are you guys? work or something?

Most of the sites I see, have the public more on Balty than Pitt....around the 65% to 35% number. I would think that the line is going to move in Pitts favor

Steelers -6 now at BM. -250 ML. As big a favorite against Baltimore as they were against the Chargers?

Last week the lines for all four games did not move much from Mon to Sat/Sun....

They opened at -5 and +3 for Pitt and AZ....will this week be different?

Eagles defense still getting no respect

Its the best unit in the NFL

Whats the over/under for number of Kurt Warner fumbles?

The homerism you display time and time again for your Philadelphia teams is sickening, and ruins reputation.

Steelers are what, 300 miles West of you and you still have the nerve to call the Eagles defense better?

What a joke.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The homerism you display time and time again for your Philadelphia teams is sickening, and ruins reputation.

Steelers are what, 300 miles West of you and you still have the nerve to call the Eagles defense better?

What a joke.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Did I stutter?

Best. Unit. In. The. NFL.

Whats the over/under for number of Kurt Warner fumbles?

First off, congrats on your Eagles getting to the NFC championship. :shake:

My boys did not execute and the Eagles did what they had to do to win.

But c'mon man, do you really believe that they are the better than Pitt??
That's ridiculous...

Philly did win in Pittsburgh and beat the living tar out of Big Ben, so they were at least better on that day. Think Philly's a scary match-up for the AFC winner. Zona, not so scary.

Philly did win in Pittsburgh and beat the living tar out of Big Ben, so they were at least better on that day. Think Philly's a scary match-up for the AFC winner. Zona, not so scary.

That game was in Philly but yeah...oh wait...we just sacked Ben again!!!

Itd be an interesting story line with Philly/Baltimore with the whole McNabb being benched last time thing...

And Pittsburgh/Philly would be a huge game that would sell itself...

Youve gotta think the 'higher ups' would rather have Philly there than Arizona....if youre the type that believes in those sort of things meaning anything....

But c'mon man, do you really believe that they are the better than Pitt??
That's ridiculous...

Right now? Yes I do.

Im not saying Pittsburgh has a bad defense. Im saying Philly's is playing better right now

Past 7 games:

3 at home, 4 on the road for Philly...avg offensive rank of opponents: 13...avg points allowed: 12

4 at home, 3 on the road for Pitt...avg offensive rank of opponents: 19...avg points allowed: 14

Right this second...Philly has a better defense than Pittsburgh

I don't find the Arizona story all that compelling. Actually more annoying than compelling, qualifying out of the worst division in recent memory. Must be my "midwest bias", that or anger over backing the Panthers on Saturday night. (Good God, did Delhomme suck in that game.)

Anyway, this isn't anything that hasn't been said a million times, but I just think teams that get to the QB can make Warner look old and bad, and those are the only kinds of opponents left in the tournament. Philly's offense is sputtering, so not thrilled with laying any points but that's what I think I'm going to do. Probably both faves for me.

If you want to play this angle, I agree with Smokegawg that you gotta believe the "higher ups" want to see a Pgh/Phi Super Bowl. Both teams travel well, both are cold weather cities (so fans would love the opportunity to head South), in-state rivalry, etc. . . My initial thoughts, however, are PGH v. ARZ in the SB.

I think out of both games this weekend Pitt has the best chance of moving on. Balti has been great on defense all year and really made the most of their opportunities for turnovers but I think it comes to an end this weekend. As bad as Carolina was on sat night, same holds true for Tenny in that afternoon game. They had some many chances blown once they got into the redzone. I just do not see Pitt making the same mistakes this weekend.

Phil/Zona matchup should be interesting. Phil defense should be able to pressure Warner and contain that passing game but how easy will it be for Phil to score themselves. Zona has been making a killing off turnovers as well and if they get enough short fields they can put up points quick. Phil at least does have 3 capable cornerbacks to help slow down the WRs of Zona. Should be a good game.

If you want to play this angle, I agree with Smokegawg that you gotta believe the "higher ups" want to see a Pgh/Phi Super Bowl.

I tend to disregard this angle most of the time, especially in the NFL. Regardless who gets in the superbowl, millions of people will be watching.

Now if your dealing with the nba maybe that whole angle comes through as I think the higher ups would do anything to get the right matchup to increase ratings.

If you want to play this angle, I agree with Smokegawg that you gotta believe the "higher ups" want to see a Pgh/Phi Super Bowl.

I tend to disregard this angle most of the time, especially in the NFL. Regardless who gets in the superbowl, millions of people will be watching.

Now if your dealing with the nba maybe that whole angle comes through as I think the higher ups would do anything to get the right matchup to increase ratings.

Just to be clear, I put no stock in this angle whatsoever...this isnt the NBA...was just puttin it out there...

Yea, I agree, the NFL is very popular right now, I don't think they need to doctor the results to get people to go to the game or watch it on TV. Only team, that's not so sexy is Balty, no disrespect intended

I haven't been able to get over this comment all afternoon since it was posted. With all due respect, that is just an insane comment. Pittsburgh has them beat at EVERY SINGLE statistical category that matters on defense. You're right...they belong towards the top and have had an amazing run recently in the last few games...but still they are not at THE top.

You have good stuff, my man...USUALLY, but that is just ridiculous.

I haven't been able to get over this comment all afternoon since it was posted. With all due respect, that is just an insane comment. Pittsburgh has them beat at EVERY SINGLE statistical category that matters on defense. You're right...they belong towards the top and have had an amazing run recently in the last few games...but still they are not at THE top.

You have good stuff, my man...USUALLY, but that is just ridiculous.

Im not saying Pittsburgh has a bad defense. Im saying Philly's is playing better right now

Past 7 games:

3 at home, 4 on the road for Philly...avg offensive rank of opponents: 13...avg points allowed: 12

4 at home, 3 on the road for Pitt...avg offensive rank of opponents: 19...avg points allowed: 14

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> Right this second...Philly has a better defense than Pittsburgh

That game was in Philly but yeah...oh wait...we just sacked Ben again!!!

Itd be an interesting story line with Philly/Baltimore with the whole McNabb being benched last time thing...

And Pittsburgh/Philly would be a huge game that would sell itself...

Youve gotta think the 'higher ups' would rather have Philly there than Arizona....if youre the type that believes in those sort of things meaning anything....
this is what I believe is going to happen...I just feel it in my bones....at this point of the game it isn't about the game but a buisness....it's all about money:cheers:

Back