NBA Offseason Discussion Thread for Mid July

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, lets get the maiden thread in for this forum. Been a pretty low-key summer so far in the association. We are just waiting for a huge move, which I guess will be the trading of Allen Iverson at some point.

First of all, pretty tricky by LeBrons agent getting that out after 3 years. I betcha that Anthony and Wade wish they had the same clause. Its only natural that these guys wanna win and may want to look for a better situation down the line. I had stated that I would be suprised if Wade extended his contract this offseason, but after winning it all I think he reazlizes that he could become a one-city 15 year icon down there. I personally think he will regret it in a few years with no O'Neal and no young talent around him. Carmelo must really like it out there and believe in what George Karl and ownership are doing. Good to see Bosh re-up. Thats a good sign for Canada. Its very tough to keep a guy up there of his caliber.

As for my local guy Ben signing with Chicago. Thats fine. He is 32 and frankly he may have a great year this year but his best days are behind him. He did a lot here and we loved him but he still shows bouts of immaturity at times. The thing with the East, the NBA wants it to be a stars league. You have Bosh, Howard, James and Wade in this conference. Each of those teams is good or builing well. These teams are gonna be the cream in the conference for several years. Detroit coulda overpaid Ben and maybe give it another shot next year, but with Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio out West, it was gonna be hard to bring another ring. Dumars will have to do something magical via trade next year or two to get back into contention. This years team will be top 3 in conference and with some luck could get back. I doubt it though.

Also locally, it really showed this year for a few teams about having a bench. Detroit had no injuries all year but basically just ran outta steam from not having a reliable enough bench. Billups came out in a Denver paper last week and said as much. He basically said he was so worn down that by the end of Game 6 that he was almost relieved it was over. Thats telling. Out in Phoenix, the same can be said for MVP Nash. With injuiries to Amare and Kurt the Suns just didn't have enough horses. That being said they provided some very exciting playoff basketball. Heres hoping that they get Amare healthy and them and Dallas have an epic battle next year.

As for other offseason moves, nothing too big has happened. I was kinda suprised that Tim Thomas split. That Suns style fit his lazy ass. It also showcased his immense talent. The Clippers don't run as much. We'll see how he fits in there. I figured that the Cavs would resign Drew Gooden, but so far, nothing. I was hoping thta we(DET) could land Bonzi, he's the type of creative guy we need but Dumars went with the size of Nazr instead. The Bulls are certainly stong up front. They have 2 horses in Brown and Wallace. The talent on the wings is huge. I hear that Deng frew 2 more inches. He has star potential indeed. They are gonna be good. The inside offense will be their issue though. As far as coaching. People will laugh, but Isiah is a damn solid coach. He laid the foundation for those good Pacer teams of the late nineties and on. He did all the work and Bird hated him so he got rid of him. He is a players coach but I dunno how anyone can make a living coaching a backcourt of Franchise and Starbury.

Looking quickly at this next season,heres who I may tinker with as far as futures:

I will defenetly play an Under on the Heat for Wins in regular season. I did same this year and it hit easily. With them winning it will be overvalued. They will coast and have that championship blah to them. Should be an easy play.

I will play an over on the Houston Rockets. This team, and I do think they stay healthy, has two awesome players and are in the top 5 in West IMO when healthy. Yao benefitted from Mac being out. He grew up as a player and I think its time for him to become more of a factor. McGrady will come back with something to prove. He a all the success the other youngs had last year and he still wants to be in that every year MVP race class.

For the title, no doubt in my mind a Western Team wins. You can look at the big three and maybe Clippers as that team. The big three are too strong for anyone to sneak up on them through 3 series in Western playoffs.

Thats all for now. Feel free to add your thoughts and we'll do updates as player movement happens this summer.

Mike, I do think they have a chance. With any young team with young players 3 important things occur.

1. Learning to play both man-to-man and team defense
2. Meshing all the young talents and conforming to a system
3. The rugged 82 games plus 8 preseason.

Now, the addition of TJ is good and bad. He will be great for all the young guys. Morris Peterson will benefit as well on spot ups and slashes. That being said, defensively he is a huge liabilty.

Now, this is gonna be a fun bunch. I think they will struggle early and make a huge second half run and could neak in. I hope so. Its good for the sport.

i seriously do not know how long Mitchell will last, because he is a defensive minded player and well....this team has no defense so I am thinking BC will hire a much more offensive minded coach. I"m just going to continue playing the overs until this team learns how to actually hold an opponent under 90 points in back to back games, lol.

I agree, Sam will not last past February. They will get new coach and then start the late season run. BC is a good GM, this team is going places.

Good shit Al... We gonna kill em next year kid

I don't follow the offseason moves that much, I catch up around October... All I know is that Indiana now has nothing to show for losing Ron Artest lol

pistons and rest...

detroit is flip murray's team now..he will lead the league in scoring and assists...seriously, I worry about where rashweed's head is? is it in the game?? how will ben leaving affect his play? there are rumors that the two didn't get along anyways....I see the pistons adapting to a phoenix style run and gun..it is the only way to keep up with the stars in the east such as lebron and wade..the nba is marketing a stars league and we know it. Clevelnad will make nothing short of the eastern conference finals next year barring an injury...this is Lebron's league as evidenced in the detroit series. BIllups has a chance to leave next summer, they will need to resign him before the season hopefully.

I like the under prop on the heat and over on rockets if they stay injury free.

Amir will make an impact in d town this year.

Good stuff in the opening post Big Al.

I'll join the discussion these days, just wanted to say hi. Go Spurs. ;)

Good thoughts Hunt....

Billups..in that interview I got off of Mlive..said he wants to stay..he will opt out..but he says his heart is here..but we know that means nothing whatsoever...Amir is a diamond in the rough...he and Maxiell..the next few years will turn heads....I like Delfino's game..but his head is wrong for our program...imma sure you read that article at Mlive...he needs to keep his mouth shut..he is right..he did improve his defense..and I know Dumars is pissed that Flip didn;t play him more

Satyr...great to see you here bro...your one of the best cappers at NBA I know..your write-ups are great and I saw awesome write-ups on soccer at Covers too..talk to yas soon

Raptors just signed another European player, Jorge Garbajosa. John Salmons is on board as well which could only mean that MoPete could be shipped as they are now stocked with SF

Garbajosa is a quality asset, I m starting to like these Raptors. Actually, liked them last season already but their inability to win games was appaling. They fell apart later on in the season, had a nice performance streak going for a while though.

Thanks for the kind words Big Al. Always appreciate your posts as well, especially since we seem to cap the hoops in a similar way :D .

Satyr said:
Garbajosa is a quality asset, I m starting to like these Raptors. Actually, liked them last season already but their inability to win games was appaling. They fell apart later on in the season, had a nice performance streak going for a while though.

Thanks for the kind words Big Al. Always appreciate your posts as well, especially since we seem to cap the hoops in a similar way :D .

You probably know more about these players than majority of the Toronto fans, lol.

How is that Anthony Parker guy? I heard some pretty great things about him.

a versatile player, very explosive. He was in the NBA before (I think he played for Philadelphia, just not that much). In Europe, where zone is used more and the game isn't so athletic as in the NBA, he used to dunk a lot, block a lot, generally he brought in the energy for Maccabi.

Remains to be seen what he can do in the NBA, at the age of 31. But he's experienced, talented, I think he can do the job, we'll have to wait and see to be sure though.

I think the Raptors picked him up because this were pissed off losing to Maccabi..lol.

On a serious note though I like a lot of the moves BC is making as the Raps new GM. Babcock was absolutely horrific so Colangelo does have quite a bit of work to do in Toronto. Signing Chris Bosh to a big deal was a great move, always nice locking up a player with his talent.

right now NBA experts are being a little critical on Colangelo's European shopping spree, but its a risk reward, he could be tapping into a market for cheaper price and getting more out of it. Who knows, but BC has shown what he's done the past 11 seasons, 9 of which were playoff seasons. I honestly think, he is probably the smartest GM out there and is probably the best dressed ones to, lol. He must enjoy hanging out in Little Italy with the Italian Poon.

winky said:
any news about garnett and marion? ive heard that the bulls is after them

I really don't think the Bulls could pull off a trade for Garnett, if they did they'd pretty much be in the same position that the T-Wolves are in. Marion could be given away pretty cheaply here. Couple ideas that would make sense for both teams. I spent some time looking over the net, but I can't find anything worthwhile to post on the Bulls plans.

Back