NBA Finals Discussion thread

:rofl:

Yea Carlos Boozer told them the same thing. His team is in the Final's, Love isn't going to create a major distraction for his team.

And I'm not saying he is leaving, just that he has no other choice to say that...kind of like Kerr saying Bogut would start game 4 or the Seahawks saying their injured defensive players were 100% before the Super Bowl. Your not going to get the truth in these situations.

True, but the Boozer situation was completely different. He stood to make $700k that year in Cleveland with the "promise" that he would get a big contract after the season. Love is locked in at much, much more than that...and he's on the favorite to win the title playing with LeBron and Kyrie.

You're right, guys will say anything to not be a distraction though...but the Boozer situation isn't really comparable imo.

Back to the series at hand...

Home team is 11-15 SU in Game 6 when facing elimination in the Finals all-time (2-2 SU since 2006).

Last time it occurred was in 2013, Spurs at Heat (Heat won 103-100). Heat then won Game 7, was the 2-3-2 format though.

And, Boozer was released from his contract, and got a much bigger offer from Utah, which is why he left.

After the 2003–04 NBA season, the Cavaliers had the option of allowing him to become a restricted free agent, or keeping him under contract for one more year at a $695,000 salary. The Cavaliers claimed to have reached an understanding with Boozer and his agent on a deal for approximately $39 million over six years, which he would have signed if they let him out of his current deal.

Cleveland then proceeded to release him from his contract making him a restricted free agent. During this period, the Utah Jazz offered Boozer a six-year, $70 million contract that Cleveland chose not to match due to salary cap considerations.[SUP][4][/SUP] On July 30, 2004, Boozer officially signed with the Jazz.

Back to the series at hand...

Home team is 11-15 SU in Game 6 when facing elimination in the Finals all-time (2-2 SU since 2006).

Last time it occurred was in 2013, Spurs at Heat (Heat won 103-100). Heat then won Game 7, was the 2-3-2 format though.

Took a miracle to win that game 6. Included in that is the fact that Ray Allen did the moonwalk on that 3 he buried to force OT.

Yeah, that was a pretty big comeback that game wasn't it?

Yep. Spurs up 10 going into the 4th.

Then after 2 LeBron TO's in the last minute the Spurs up 4 and Manu only hit 1-2,LeBron misses 3 badly but Heat get the O board, then LeBron drills a 3, Kawhi only hits 1-2, Pop pulls Duncan off the court, Miami gets the O rebound, and Ray Ray drills the 3. 6 things had to go right for the Heat to force OT those last 30 seconds and each one happened.

LeBron 7-7 SU (8-6 ATS) when facing elimination in the playoffs (5-1 SU, 4-2 ATS last 6 occasions).

Talent is winning out....any team that took on ex-knick players should forfeit their right to win a ring (team bball IQ drops 200 points immediately)

Fallon Smith ✔ @FallonSmithCSN
Although he is the best player in the world... LeBron just called himself the best player in the world

captain-obvious.jpg

First of all, to say that Blatt is the worst Finals coach ever... That's just funny...
He outcoached Kerr, so already, that can't be true.
You blame Blatt for offense, but didn't you all say that LeBron is in charge of the offense and calls the plays and the subs? So shouldn't he be the one to blame?

I think that Mozgov should have played more. But, Blatt been reluctant to play Mozgov in the 4th the entire season. Mozgov in the Finals has a good game, followed by a bad game.
Blatt was obviously worried about Mozgov's defense and for a good reason. Mozgov in this series, if he doesn't give you offense, he is a liability (usually he plays great defense, but not for this series).
Mozgov played 9 minutes and scored 0 points, with one shot attempt and two turnovers. Iggy had a decent game, minus free throws, so when GSW went small ball, Mozgov didn't have anyone to guard on and P&R that would leave Curry on him, put him in a jam time after time. Blatt made several attempts to bring Mozgov in to the game, but all failed.
I think we will see Mozgov in Game 6 playing well. Cavs need to find a way to hide him on defense or to make Warriors pay on the other half of the floor. Player that has zero points in 9 minutes, doesn't give you anything.
Absurd is that Mozgov didn't grab even one rebound in the entire 9 minutes of game.

Game 7 in Oakland should be huge without a doubt...

And I'm 100% sure that if we switch coaches between the teams, gsw would have won already 4-0 or 4-1.

First of all, to say that Blatt is the worst Finals coach ever... That's just funny...
You blame Blatt for offense, but didn't you all say that LeBron is in charge of the offense and calls the plays and the subs? So shouldn't he be the one to blame?

I think that Mozgov should have played more. But, Blatt been reluctant to play Mozgov in the 4th the entire season. Mozgov in the Finals has a good game, followed by a bad game.
Blatt was obviously worried about Mozgov's defense and for a good reason. Mozgov in this series, if he doesn't give you offense, he is a liability (usually he plays great defense, but not for this series).
Mozgov played 9 minutes and scored 0 points, with one shot attempt and two turnovers. Iggy had a decent game, minus free throws, so when GSW went small ball, Mozgov didn't have anyone to guard on and P&R that would leave Curry on him, put him in a jam time after time. Blatt made several attempts to bring Mozgov in to the game, but all failed.
I think we will see Mozgov in Game 6 playing well. Cavs need to find a way to hide him on defense or to make Warriors pay on the other half of the floor. Player that has zero points in 9 minutes, doesn't give you anything.
Absurd is that Mozgov didn't grab even one rebound in the entire 9 minutes of game.

jawdrop.gif

BEFORE Kyrie's injury, most people pinned this series as GSW in 5.
Without Kyrie, we are going to Game 6 and possibly Game 7.
Most of the credit obviously goes to LeBron, that gives one of the best Finals performances ever in the league and the other players, but you have to give Blatt some credit as well.
Defense plan is coaching staff work, mostly Blatt and Lue (Blatt always believes in Gershon's philosophy and gives tons of credit and responsibility to his assistants) and it been really great all playoffs, Finals included.
Kerr has a lot more tools that he can use. Blatt simply doesn't have that luxury.
Next year (and there is zero doubt that he will continue as Cavs HC), I believe Cleveland will look a lot better.

Not that I have a real opinion about Blatt, but I do find it funny that Bron can do no wrong...they win and it's all because Bron was calling it in-game but when they lose it's Blatt's team and fault

I think emkee alluded to it earlier, how do we not know that Bron said let's go small? I have a feelin Blatt's gone after this year anyhow

Was it this obvious back in Miami with Spoelstra? I don't think so, maybe in the first year

I don't remember if it was as bad, but it was bad. The bump when Bron walked off the court after time out was discussed for few days I remember and many said that Spoelstra will be replaced by Riley soon...
Riley had Spoelstra's back and the feeling, at least towards outside, that Griffin and Gilbert got Blatt's back as well.
Unless Bron says that he leaves Cleveland if Blatt is staying and I don't see it happening, because no way Bron walks out imo, Blatt will coach at least two more seasons as Cleveland HC.
What can be dumber than taking a brilliant coach, that never coached in the NBA, give him a year, to learn and then fire him?
They will be just setting him up for another team to rip what they harvested...
Blatt and Messina should be the next Pops of the league.

I don't remember if it was as bad, but it was bad. The bump when Bron walked off the court after time out was discussed for few days I remember and many said that Spoelstra will be replaced by Riley soon...
Riley had Spoelstra's back and the feeling, at least towards outside, that Griffin and Gilbert got Blatt's back as well.
Unless Bron says that he leaves Cleveland if Blatt is staying and I don't see it happening, because no way Bron walks out imo, Blatt will coach at least two more seasons as Cleveland HC.
What can be dumber than taking a brilliant coach, that never coached in the NBA, give him a year, to learn and then fire him?
They will be just setting him up for another team to rip what they harvested...
Blatt and Messina should be the next Pops of the league.
there is only one!

i get the your love for Blatt, but....

I'm talking about style of basketball.
Even if we look at the two closest to Spurs style of baksetball teams - Golden State, where Kerr wanted Blatt as first assistant coach and Hawks, that have Spahija, great European coach as assistant coach.
Spurs have Messina as their assistant and the talks are that there is a very big chance he will replace Pop, when he retires.
The "big news" that Spurs brought to the league, are European basketball, that is practiced over here as a usual thing...
Maccabi aside, look at the great teams the last two - three decades in European basketball - Pao, Oly, CSKA, Real (all the Italian teams like Siena, Bologna before that and so on) - all were and are European player oriented teams.
Maccabi the only elite team that always based on American players and even they, during their greatest era, had Saras Jasikevicius and Nikola Vujcic along with Americans Parker, McDonald and Huffman.

Put the Crack pipe down please divol.

Don't forget gsro and his crack pipe, thinking Blatt will be gone after this year. What in the holy hell would Blatt be gone for after a year in which his team went to the Finals while missing 2 all stars for a large portion of the playoffs?

Not that I have a real opinion about Blatt, but I do find it funny that Bron can do no wrong...they win and it's all because Bron was calling it in-game but when they lose it's Blatt's team and fault

I think emkee alluded to it earlier, how do we not know that Bron said let's go small? I have a feelin Blatt's gone after this year anyhow

Don't forget gsro and his crack pipe, thinking Blatt will be gone after this year. What in the holy hell would Blatt be gone for after a year in which his team went to the Finals while missing 2 all stars for a large portion of the playoffs?

I don't think I'm on a crackpipe, I think there's a difference between calling Blatt the best coach ever/the next POP than it is to say that he could be fired.

I don't see Bron and Blatt getting along eventually like Spoe and Bron did...Bron has the final say and it's obvious they clash...you going to keep bron happy or blatt? Just my 0.02 cents

Also throughout the thread, it's been spoken to but when they win it's Bron and not Blatt and when they lose it's Blatt and not Bron you can't have it both ways, someone's going to be a scapegoat and I don't think Cavs are going to pitt it on LeBron...you guys have said it, Bron controls everything

* If Necessary

Lol divol. Don't even know where to start with your comments. At least you're sticking to your opinion and going down with it.

I have heard this as well though Lar....

hasn't this been talked about?

I have heard this as well though Lar....

hasn't this been talked about?

Not by anyone in Cleveland. Others said that he has a good chance to get fired, but for now, Gilbert and Griffin back Blatt without a single doubt in their mind.
Again, I really see 0% that Blatt will be fired, unless Bron really says it's either me or him...

Going back over this thread right now to see what comments we made that turned out to be right/wrong.... Very interesting stuff

Says the man that still claims that Cleveland was helped by officials in Games 2 & 3...

Well if you take the rose colored goggles off you'd see things the rest of the world sees.

Do you have a reason why Mozgov wasn't used more yesterday? Or is that something you'll just shrug off? This all stems down for your ignorant and ridiculous statement. We all make them. It's ok. Realizing you're wrong is good for you. It helps you grow as a person. Blatt will learn from the mistakes he's making and so should you.

Do you guys think Curry wants the MVP? He's going to have to show up big again in game 6/7*. Because right now it's going to Lebron IMO. No?

Well if you take the rose colored goggles off you'd see things the rest of the world sees.

Do you have a reason why Mozgov wasn't used more yesterday? Or is that something you'll just shrug off? This all stems down for your ignorant and ridiculous statement. We all make them. It's ok. Realizing you're wrong is good for you. It helps you grow as a person. Blatt will learn from the mistakes he's making and so should you.

I wrote my thoughts on this on post 1562...
I can agree or disagree, but I can understand Blatt's way of thinking.
Everyone makes mistakes.
Heat won the title in 2013, because Vogel and Pop both sat their big guys on the bench in crucial moments...
They had their reasons that I and many others disagreed and in the end, they were wrong.
Blatt made his gamble and probably was wrong.
One brilliant or terrible game doesn't make a coach good or bad...

He is part of a team, that won two games, that almost no one gave them a chance to win...

But most believe the Warriors didn't show up in those two games.

Saying a coach that has one player contributing on 70% on the teams points is out coaching another that has a multitude of options is kind of funny in my mind.

If Cleveland win the title, Bron is the MVP, if GSW wins the title it's Curry.
They won't give the MVP to anyone on the losing team...

The idea to give MVP to a player on a losing team is absurd imho.
It simply belittles everyone but him. It also will be very strange moment to give MVP to LeBron, when he and the rest of the players in the locker room demoralized by the loss and GSW players celebrating outside.

In a vacuum.... Not using Mozgov is a fire able offense IMO. Blatt just got too cute worrying about defense. The Warriors were basically allowing Mozgov to dominate when they started Iggy. He got to the line a ton, slowed the game down, allowed the team to rest etc. It makes no sense after that style of play was the reason the cavs won the two games they won.

Looks like he just wanted to throw a curveball at Kerr and Kerr smashed it back in his face.

The idea to give MVP to a player on a losing team is absurd imho.
It simply belittles everyone but him. It also will be very strange moment to give MVP to LeBron, when he and the rest of the players in the locker room demoralized by the loss and GSW players celebrating outside.

It's not absurd when Lebron is the most valuable player to his team in the finals. What's happening right now is historic.

I wrote my thoughts on this on post 1562...
I can agree or disagree, but I can understand Blatt's way of thinking.
Everyone makes mistakes.
Heat won the title in 2013, because Vogel and Pop both sat their big guys on the bench in crucial moments...
They had their reasons that I and many others disagreed and in the end, they were wrong.
Blatt made his gamble and probably was wrong.
One brilliant or terrible game doesn't make a coach good or bad...

He is part of a team, that won two games, that almost no one gave them a chance to win...

I think my issue with the POPS comparison/declaration that you had made earlier is this....I consider Pops to be one of the best coaches among current and retired coaches.. Blatt's been here one year and has shown signs of being both good and bad, only time will tell and maybe you are right but I don't think there's enough in the first year to make that projection just yet. He just hasn't put in the time like Pops has and maybe the end of both of the careers they are identical, but saying that Pop=Blatt is semi absurd to me...It's not like Lebron in his rookie season where he was garnering comparisons to GOAT

Again, I'm talking about style of basketball. Not the charisma and everything else. Purely style of basketball.
No one is bigger than the team, looking for the hot hand, ball movement and so on...

Divol is bringing his European coaching experience into the picture which I think is overall worthless given the differences in pressure and overall expectations for coaches in the NBA

Again, I'm talking about style of basketball. Not the charisma and everything else. Purely style of basketball.
No one is bigger than the team, looking for the hot hand, ball movement and so on...

What is this referring to? MVP?

Back