My take on the BIG-12 title tie-break situation

We wouldn't be having this discussion if OU hadn't lost to Texas and Texas hadn't gotten their ASS handed to them by Tech..It can go both ways...

Again, I think you mischaracterize the situation. If you think Texas got its ass handed to it, then I can't help you.

CFB Bloggers have been doing a "Blog Poll" through Sportsline all year. Tonight, the first one submitted was by the Purdue blogger who summed up his vote this way:

I went with Texas at #3 because they beat Oklahoma. Texas Tech has an argument, but got drilled by the Sooners and were two miracle plays (a dropped INT and Crabtree's TD) from losing to Texas.

Oklahoma is #4. They are a great team, but if they really wanted to play for the title they should have beaten Texas.

I think quite a few voters will be making this rationalization. From listening to sportswriters this week, it's already been circulating and I'm sure will grab a few votes from the Harris Poll and Coaches' Poll voters.

Going to be a stressful next 24 hours whatever happens and hopefully it will end up changing the Big XII tie-breaker, the BCS system (like having more than 2 teams from each conference play and not granting automatic bids to conference champs, Big East and ACC don't deserve to go this year), and maybe even create a playoff (although I'm not holding my breath on this one).

I think OU gives up points becasue their O scores so quickly..in the end the opposing D is so worn out it's a moot point anyways.

So, if you can use the BCS to rule out TT, then the BCS will have it correct no matter who is there tomorrow afternoon. I agree

The BCS is reality now and will be reality tomorrow. It does not mean it's correct.

Congratulations on your trolling activities.

Bro, Tech crushed Texas and you know it. They went conservative in the second half and let UT get back in it.

This is probably the most difficult projection the Guru has ever had to do. But here goes ...
No. 2 SHOULD BE Oklahoma.
But will it be? That's entirely up to the voters.
Logically, Oklahoma should be No. 2. But if the BCS is about logic, then it wouldn't even exist. And with all these voters - 175 in all, if they all vote - having foisted upon them a responsibility that they neither desired nor deserved, there really is no telling where they're going to go.
Nevertheless, they're asked to decide on the Big 12 tiebreaker, as the winner of the South Division will be determined by the BCS standings, among Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech. Whoever gets into the Big 12 title game will be the prohibitive favorite to beat Missouri and have the inside track to the BCS title game, against the SEC title game winner between Florida and Alabama.
Well, let's examine those three Big 12 South contenders, side-by-side:
1. Against Big 12 South teams: Oklahoma beat Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M - all on the road - by a +90 margin. Texas won all three at home by +68. Texas Tech won two at home and at A&M by +61. Advantage: Oklahoma.
2. Against Big 12 North common opponent: Only Kansas played all three and Tech won, 63-21, OU won (at home), 45-31, Texas won, 35-7. Advantage: Texas Tech.
3. None-conference opponents: Texas played Florida Atlantic, UTEP, Rice and Arkansas, teams with records of 25-23 and only Rice bowl-bound; OU played I-AA Chattanooga, Cincinnati (Big East champ), TCU and Washington, 20-15 (only count I-A teams) with two 10-win teams and a winless team; Tech played two I-AA teams and the other two, Nevada and SMU, are 8-16. Advantage: Oklahoma.
4. Head-to-head: Texas wants to talk about beating OU, 45-35, true, but this is not a pure head-to-head situation, it's a three-way tie and a circular argument. And just for logic's sake, the fact that Texas beat OU on a neutral field is a classic non-sequitur. You may deduce that Texas would've beaten OU in Austin, but nothing more - so essentially each team WOULD'VE won at home. The following is how these three teams did against each other, the research courtesy of our friends at Saurian Sagacity:
Oklahoma

Points Scored: 100
Points Against: 66
Net Points: 34
Total Yards: 1060
Total Yards Against: 844
Net Yards: 216

Texas

Points Scored: 78
Points Against: 74
Net Points: 4
Total Yards: 812
Total Yards Against: 1014
Net Yards: -202

Texas Tech

Points Scored: 60
Points Against: 98
Net Points: -38
Total Yards: 985
Total Yards Against: 999
Net Yards: -14
Taken in its totality, it's rather obvious that Oklahoma is the most impressive in the head-to-head results. Advantage: Oklahoma.
If last week's poll results stay relatively stable - given that every team in the top 10 either won or was idle - this is how the computer rankings should break down:
1. Alabama (.970), 2. Texas (.960), 3. Oklahoma (.940), 4. Florida (.880), 5. Utah (.830).
And the BCS standings would look like this:
1. Alabama (.987), 2. Oklahoma (.926), 3. Texas (.921), 4. Florida (.909), 5. USC (.797).
The biggest loser this weekend, without a doubt, is USC. The Trojans not only don't have a shot at the BCS title game, their AP title hopes also evaporated with Oregon State's loss to Oregon. By being forced to play in the Rose Bowl against Penn State, there is little chance for USC to claim the AP title, as opposed to a Fiesta Bowl matchup against either Oklahoma or Texas.
So, assuming the voters actually do their homework and not go nuts or conspiracy-happy, here's the Guru's projection of the penultimate BCS standings:
1. Alabama, 2. Oklahoma, 3. Texas, 4. Florida, 5. USC, 6. Utah, 7. Penn State, 8. Texas Tech, 9. Boise State, 10. Ohio State, 11. TCU, 12. Ball State, 13. Cincinnati, 14. Oklahoma State, 15. Oregon.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>That is pretty much getting dominated

Team Stat Comparison
</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left> </TD><TD>
251.gif
</TD><TD>
2641.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>31</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>3rd down efficiency
</TD><TD>4-12</TD><TD>8-16</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>4th down efficiency
</TD><TD>1-1</TD><TD>0-0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>374</TD><TD>579</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>294</TD><TD>474</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Comp-Att
</TD><TD>20-34</TD><TD>36-53</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per pass
</TD><TD>8.6</TD><TD>8.9</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>105</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Rushing Attempts
</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>28</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per rush
</TD><TD>2.9</TD><TD>3.8</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>8-56</TD><TD>8-78</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Fumbles lost
</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Interceptions thrown
</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>23:07</TD><TD>36:53</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

There it is, the diamond in the rough. I remember all of those years in the early 2000's when we lost to ou and we were out of the race in October. It always meant Texas needed the sooners to lose two games before we had a way in. Kudos to you, sir, for getting it.

If I were a Sooner fan, I'd want my team to get in but I'd realize they didn't earn it in this case. I remember when the Vols finally made and won the SECCG in 1997. That year they lost to UF in the regular season. UF and UT always play early. UF had to lose twice for us to get in, and eventually they did.

UT was undoubtedly the superior team by the middle and end of the season but it still felt hollow because we didn't beat Florida. It was great to win the SECCG but everyone knew there was still unfinished business.

Bro, Tech crushed Texas and you know it. They went conservative in the second half and let UT get back in it.

Texas had a lead in the game with two seconds to go. Seriously, I follow your capping pretty closely. You're destroying my belief system. :shake:

Smoke--Thanks for posting the BCS Guru's forecast.

Very, very close by his calculations. Goes from being a Texas advantage by .008 to an OU advantage by .005.

Shows how close this thing will be. Whoever gets in will most likely get in by the skin of their teeth.

One thing is clear, TT will be playing in the Cotton Bowl.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>That is pretty much getting dominated

Team Stat Comparison

</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left></TD><TD>
251.gif
</TD><TD>
2641.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>31</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>3rd down efficiency

</TD><TD>4-12</TD><TD>8-16</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>4th down efficiency

</TD><TD>1-1</TD><TD>0-0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>374</TD><TD>579</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>294</TD><TD>474</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Comp-Att

</TD><TD>20-34</TD><TD>36-53</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per pass

</TD><TD>8.6</TD><TD>8.9</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>80</TD><TD>105</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Rushing Attempts

</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>28</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per rush

</TD><TD>2.9</TD><TD>3.8</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>8-56</TD><TD>8-78</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Fumbles lost

</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Interceptions thrown

</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>23:07</TD><TD>36:53</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Yet Tech still needed a last minute drive to win the game despite 'dominating' it. That right there should show you how faulty and misleading stats often are and why you shouldn't overanalyze them.

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="gamehead"><td colspan="3">That is pretty much getting dominated

Team Stat Comparison
</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">
</td><td>
251.gif
</td><td>
2641.gif
</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">1st Downs</td><td>18</td><td>31</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">3rd down efficiency
</td><td>4-12</td><td>8-16</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">4th down efficiency
</td><td>1-1</td><td>0-0</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Total Yards</td><td>374</td><td>579</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Passing</td><td>294</td><td>474</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">Comp-Att
</td><td>20-34</td><td>36-53</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Yards per pass
</td><td>8.6</td><td>8.9</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Rushing</td><td>80</td><td>105</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Rushing Attempts
</td><td>28</td><td>28</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Yards per rush
</td><td>2.9</td><td>3.8</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Penalties</td><td>8-56</td><td>8-78</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Turnovers</td><td>2</td><td>1</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Fumbles lost
</td><td>1</td><td>1</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Interceptions thrown
</td><td>1</td><td>0</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Possession</td><td>23:07</td><td>36:53</td></tr></tbody></table>

I don't see the score anywhere. Where is it?

That's why statboxes can be somewhat misleading.

a 30 yard TD is not a hail mary, Crabtree caught that pass and made a nice move, if he goes out of bounds they kick a FG and win

where is the big 12 north opponent comparison ??

The only common opponent that you can look to is KU. There, Texas dominated (stats and score) over KU in cold and windy conditions. OU struggled to win by 14 at home in a see-saw battle that saw 80+ points and about 1,000 yards.

If we want to throw TT back in the mix, TT dominated KU under clear conditions on the road.

Mack Brown can almost singlehandedly guarantee Texas plays in the Big 12 Title game by leaving Oklahoma off his ballot...

Texas had a lead in the game with two seconds to go. Seriously, I follow your capping pretty closely. You're destroying my belief system. :shake:

Texasfight, I appreciate you follow me, and I respect you...I just disagree, that's all.

I have said numerous times both teams have a case.

I feel Tech dominated the game, you don't...it is what it is.

Coach Mack Brown, how are you gonna vote?
That's the 17 million dollar question that Texas coach Mack Brown might have to answer to. Brown just may end up casting the deciding vote on who gets to play in the Big 12 title game - and by extension, the BCS national championship game.
How? As this has been rehashed many times now: Brown has a vote in the coaches poll whereas Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops does not. The coaches do not have to reveal their ballots next week, but that's when the tiebreaker for the Big 12 South will be decided, via the BCS standings. (We're assuming that Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma are going to win as favorites, please stop flooding the Guru about all the other probabilities - I'm WELL AWARE of them.)
If Brown drops Oklahoma from where he had them last week (presumably in the top 5, but he's not telling) to 10th, 20th or even entirely off the ballot ("Oops, did I forget to put OU on the ballot? That must've been an oversight, darn!"), it will have a profound - if not deciding - impact on the BCS title picture.
Based on the Guru's projections - assuming the human voters stay mostly static with their ballots - this is how the BCS standings will look should Alabama defeat Auburn in the Iron Bowl:
1. Alabama, 2. Oklahoma (.940 computer, .9258 overall), 3. Texas (.960 computer, .9209 overall), 4. Florida (.840 computer, .8955 overall).
If Brown leaves Oklahoma off the ballot, OU will end up at .9208 - yep, you guessed it, 1/10,000th of a point behind Texas and voila! Hook 'em Horns to the Big 12 title game! Even if he just nudges the Sooners to 10th, a tiny bit of movement in Texas' favor elsewhere in the polls will do the trick just as well.
You know, like calling to ask a favor from a friend or something. Yes, we're just getting warmed up.
The coaches' poll is such a conflict of interest cesspool, it's amazing how the whole season just might come down to who puts whom where in their ballot. No fewer than seven Big 12 coaches have a vote in the coaches poll, including Brown:
Art Briles (Baylor), Gene Chizik (Iowa State), Dan Hawkins (Colorado), Mike Leach (Texas Tech), Bo Pelini (Nebraska) and Gary Pinkel (Missouri).
Four other coaches with teams in Texas or Oklahoma also vote:
Todd Dodge (North Texas), Todd Graham (Tulsa), Gary Patterson (TCU) and Mike Price (UTEP).
Here's where the intrigue begins. Brown undoubtedly has a few guys on his speed dial if it comes down to the nuclear option Saturday night: Chizik is a former assistant, Dodge is a former Texas quarterback and San Jose State's Dick Tomey was an assistant in between head jobs at Arizona and SJSU and helped Brown win a Rose Bowl in 2005.
But Stoops, who probably now regrets giving up his vote after last season, has a formidable coaching tree and allies himself. Both Leach and Pelini were his assistants, and he can probably count on Steve Spurrier, his former boss at Florida whose own son Steve Jr. tutored under Stoops.
Then there are a few with their own murky agendas: Urban Meyer, whose Florida team is no lock for a top 2 spot even if it wins its final two games, may want to make sure to keep BOTH Texas and OU down. Cal's Jeff Tedford, who no doubt remembers how Brown screwed his Golden Bears out of that 2005 Rose Bowl berth, might decide it's high time to exact a little sweet revenge.
And this is just scratching the surface. I'm sure there are other relationships that run beneath the obvious; and don't forget the Harris poll, whose 114 voters are full of former players, coaches and administrators, whose allegiances run the gamut.
That's why the secret ballot (for both coaches and Harris voters) is a terrible idea. Using the BCS standings to break conference ties is just icing on the crappy cake.

a 30 yard TD is not a hail mary, Crabtree caught that pass and made a nice move, if he goes out of bounds they kick a FG and win

He wasn't going out of bounds. He was heading for the endzone. If Thomas takes the over the top angle instead of underneath, Texas tackles him and time runs.

We can all play the what if game.

What should be remembered is that Texas lost in the last 30 seconds to TT on the road. OU lost to Texas on neutral ground and did not hold the lead for the entire 4th quarter. And TT went drinking for 2 weeks prior to OU and got their ass handed to them on the road.

He wasn't going out of bounds. He was heading for the endzone. If Thomas takes the over the top angle instead of underneath, Texas tackles him and time runs.

We can all play the what if game.

What should be remembered is that Texas lost in the last 30 seconds to TT on the road. OU lost to Texas on neutral ground and did not hold the lead for the entire 4th quarter. And TT went drinking for 2 weeks prior to OU and got their ass handed to them on the road.

Hold the phone, first of all he catches that ball with 4 seconds to go and he scores the TD with 2 seconds to go. Texas Tech still had a timeout and if he just falls down they call that timeout, the clock would not have run out unless he pulled some stupid shit.

Your right, we can all do would of should of could of though

but if you say it like that then that same arguement can be made, well we shouldnt have dropped that INT, but they did.

The only common opponent that you can look to is KU. There, Texas dominated (stats and score) over KU in cold and windy conditions. OU struggled to win by 14 at home in a see-saw battle that saw 80+ points and about 1,000 yards.

If we want to throw TT back in the mix, TT dominated KU under clear conditions on the road.

right but the guru compares non conference noncommon opponents and vs the big south ... why does he leave out the big 12 north opponents ?? texas had missouri and aT col and aT kansas ... ou had nebraska , AT kstate and kansas.

If it is fair to bring up the nonconference opponents who are not common then it is fair to bring up that texas had to play missouri who is greater than nebraska and colorado who is greater than kstate.

Texasfight, I appreciate you follow me, and I respect you...I just disagree, that's all.

I have said numerous times both teams have a case.

I feel Tech dominated the game, you don't...it is what it is.

I've seen every play of that game atleast half a dozen times. Texas was not dominated. Tech was held to 30 offensive points and only 7 offensive points in the second half. Those 7 points came with 1 second to go in the ball game...against a Texas team missing its best corner and its best defensive player Brian Orakpo. Oh well, I guess all I can say is that we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quick question, though. If you think Tech dominated Texas, how would you characterize Texas' win over oklahoma?

He would never do that..Stoops on the other hand...

Exactly. Mack is a class act. I think Stoops is too, although he is a son of a bitch when he coaches.

Mack and Greg Davis used the same gameplan to beat A&M that they used to beat lesser opponents (like UTEP, Rice, and FAU) and when they had scored 42, they put Colt and the 1st team offense and defense away for almost the entire 4th quarter.

Would Stoops have done that? Should Mack have?

Hard to say. In his post-game press conference, Mack said that he decided to pull the starters because the game was well in hand at that point and that he emphasizes (along with the NCAA) sportsmanship. If the difference between winning the South, he said, is 56 and 49 points, then the system is more screwed up than we think.

Some truth to that. After 2002, if you remember, the BCS reduced the influence of the computers as a percentage of the vote and also took away "margin of victory" from the computer formulas specifically because coaches were gaming the system by running up the score on other teams.

Ideally, I'd like to see both OU and Texas seeded for an 8 game play-off. But that won't happen.

I've seen every play of that game atleast half a dozen times. Texas was not dominated. Tech was held to 30 offensive points and only 7 offensive points in the second half. Those 7 points came with 1 second to go in the ball game...against a Texas team missing its best corner and its best defensive player Brian Orakpo. Oh well, I guess all I can say is that we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quick question, though. If you think Tech dominated Texas, how would you characterize Texas' win over oklahoma?

You make a good point...Texas beat Oklahoma that day...I can't back anything up with that...but I see it differently..I play the what if game a lot on that day personally..I just think right now we would see a different game, you have to admit what Oklahoma is doing now is just flat ridiculous.

You make a good point...Texas beat Oklahoma that day...I can't back anything up with that...but I see it differently..I play the what if game a lot on that day personally..I just think right now we would see a different game, you have to admit what Oklahoma is doing now is just flat ridiculous.

OU is playing very well. As is Texas.

My concern with OU will be if they play Florida. I think Florida pastes OU. OU does not have the defense to stop Florida's offense whereas Florida has the defense to matchup with OU's offense.

Both Texas and OU matchup better with Alabama and Ohio State.

Florida is the best team in the country right now in my opinion.

My concern with OU will be if they play Florida. I think Florida pastes OU. OU does not have the defense to stop Florida's offense whereas Florida has the defense to matchup with OU's offense.

It's hard to go against Florida right now.

i also have florida power rated considerably higher than texas or ou. If they beat bama and then go on to beat texas/oklahoma in the title game then they have proven it. Still the one loss team from the big12 between ou and texas left out of the title game will have a better resume than florida who had a bad loss to ole miss.

The real question is whats the most chaotic outcome for the BCS?

Other than which ever team gets there losing to Missouri and have the other team back door into the title game over USC and PSU (seeing as how both of them actually would have won their conferences...)...

I kind of agree that Florida beats OU. Here is the problem, did you watch the game? if you did you saw Zac Robinson run right by Oklahoma for 100 some yards. Tebow would do the same and more with his arm. But I dont know if Florida's defense is that great. Who in the SEC can even be a comparison to an Oklahoma or Texas offense? No one. The defense hasnt been tested. While both Oklahoma and Texas have gone against high powered offenses and won or controlled them. Whatever happens, this will be the best national and exciting championships since Miami vs OSU. At least I think.

Other than which ever team gets there losing to Missouri and have the other team back door into the title game over USC and PSU (seeing as how both of them actually would have won their conferences...)...

Worst case scenario would probably be Texas or OU losing to Mizzu at this point. The storm has passed for them when it comes to games, its just the formula they should worry about.

i want texas to win the title more than i want a playoff. Besides , obama wants a playoff which makes me instantly think that my wanting a playoff might be flawed thinking ...

Another sad point .. penn state resume is greater than usc but if it came down to it ... we all know usc would go anyway.

Pretty much disagree with everything being said about USC, but this isn't a USC thread like it is a Big 12 thread, so I will save my commentary for another time.

OU gets the nod because of the computers. That 57 yard FG by Nebraska and Kansas scoring with under 30 secs was the slight difference.

I want to throw up.

If missouri were to beat ou ( doubt it but just say ) do you think they take a nonconference winning texas to the title game ?

They would manipulate it so USC would get in.

If by manipulate you mean that USC plays UCLA next week and if they beat them big (which will probably happen) then USC will earn style points as well as the PAC-10 crown, then yes, I agree.

For the past 4 seasons, no team has made the BCS title game without winning their conference. Nebraska '01 and OU '03 made it but that was before the BCS formula included conference title games.

P.S. Someone in another thread said something to the effect of "anything can happen in conference games, just look at OU vs. K-State '03". Ummm, that was a game in which OU already knew they were going to the BCS title game. They didn't give a crap about the game. Nowadays, conf championships matter if you lose, so each team brings their best. Much lower chance of a major upset happening in BCS conf champ games these days.

If by manipulate you mean that USC plays UCLA next week and if they beat them big (which will probably happen) then USC will earn style points as well as the PAC-10 crown, then yes, I agree.

For the past 4 seasons, no team has made the BCS title game without winning their conference. Nebraska '01 and OU '03 made it but that was before the BCS formula included conference title games.

P.S. Someone in another thread said something to the effect of "anything can happen in conference games, just look at OU vs. K-State '03". Ummm, that was a game in which OU already knew they were going to the BCS title game. They didn't give a crap about the game. Nowadays, conf championships matter if you lose, so each team brings their best. Much lower chance of a major upset happening in BCS conf champ games these days.

How many times in those past 4 years have two teams in the same division been 11-1 and ranked in the top 3?

It won't happen regardless cause Mizzu is absolutely garbage. No way OU loses that game unless Bradford gets hit by a bus tomorrow.

What a joke and a black mark on college football. I'm a big ou fan from here on out. If they happen to win an NC, look for a split national championship. Hell, they've already guaranteed Texas a conference championship. We waxed the two teams that will be playing next Saturday.

majent, Also there is no rule that you have to win your conference to go to the MNC game. Voters will frown upon it though and would probably move USC ahead of Texas to assure a conference winner would go.

Back