My take on the BIG-12 title tie-break situation

No one can say for sure that PSU wouldnt throttle Oklahoma or Texas

You all have your opinion that they wouldnt (wrong)

I have my opinion that they would (right)

:shake:

No one can say for sure that PSU wouldnt throttle Oklahoma or Texas

You all have your opinion that they wouldnt (wrong)

I have my opinion that they would (right)

:shake:
Smoke- I think we've seen once PSU has gotten out of happy Valley they really struggle to score...

They've played two good defenses and struggled for six quarters out of eight against them...4 quarters @ Ohio State and 2 quarters @ Iowa..

That would be my concern with this team..just really haven't been that tested and when they've had they've been really inconsistent offensively.

If Oregon State wins USC does not deserve to go.

ONly reasonable choice is Penn State.

It's not about who "in Mark May's, Trev's and your opinions is"

It's about head to head matchups. You can't JUSTIFY anything other than Penn State.

And it's wrong to assume PSU is not on OU, Texas, TT level. @ Iowa some would say is just as hard of a test.

But it doesn't matter if PSU had an easier road or not.

All that matters is we have multitude of one loss teams. If you take any Big Twelve team you are ignoring head to head matchups. What is a playoff? head to head matchups.

If the season is a playoff Penn State should be in and they are the only team you can't dispute head to head.

If Beavers lose USC and Penn State should be in discussion only.

I am jaded about the entire discussion. ESPN has done more harm than good over the years because they are so ready to proclaim certain teams as "teams of the millennium". That being said I LOVE my ESPN on gameday and the ability to watch up to 15 consectutive hours of football.

Being older than most of the regulars on this site I have lived, watched and attended at least 200 different "games of the century". I have seen no less than 30 teams be declared the "all-time greatest team". Unfortunately this has led to the blinding of the fan bases of these particular schools that great football is indeed played elsewhere in the country. The old days had regular intersectional matchups. They were for comparison purposes. You just don't see them much anymore. Texas used to play Miami, USC Boston College and other legitimate DIV 1 schools So did all the other schools. Again, I'm not harping on Texas, I'm using them for reference.

As you said RJ, schedules are made well in advance. Who knew 15 years ago that Miami and FSU would suck. Florida certainly didn't and they scheduled them. Two teams with multiple National titles are on their OOC schedule. Last time I checked FAU, RICE nor any of the other schools that the Big 12 played OOC could claim that distinction.

My only question this year is why all the Big 12 love when they have only played each other. Because some talking head on ESPN happens to espouse your point of view and you will cling to that statement. If Texas Tech had played Oklahoma earlier in the year and the same final score was posted, TT would be lucky to be in the top 10 right now. Texas would be struggling to justify losing to a team outside the top 10 who got throttled by 44 freaking points!! Unfortunately it's all about when you and your conference teams lose their first regular season games.

I can understand not wanting to play USC as Alabama offers a much greater chance for victory. I believe that USC has the defensive playmakers to shut down any Big 12 offense and I haven't seen much Big 12 defense this year.

If you can't admit that VY sucks at the pro level, take your orange sunglasses off and stop drinking the KOOL-AID. He WAS a GREAT college QB. So were Geno Torreta, David Klingler, Ryan Leaf, Chuck Fusina and Todd Blackledge. hell, there are a litany of GREAT college players who couldn't make the transition. But they all sucked at the pro level. When their talent levels and the superior talent levels of their teammates diappeared in the pros they were exposed as FRAUDS. VY same way. He's sitting on the bench behind a 35 yr old journeyman who quit on his team 10 years ago when he was with the Panthers.

I'll stand by my earlier statement and if the Big 12 proves me wrong, I will proclaim them the best conference this year.

PSU loses to Ohio State if Pryor doesn't fumble. Ohio State had the athletes to force Darryl Clark to pass and he was exposed. Iowa (surprisingly) did the same and didn't turn the ball over at a critical moment.

I enjoy the discussion and look forward to the bowls.

golferjoe that was a great post.

Quite frankly it should be mandatory each BCS conference have another BCS conference on their schedule EVERY year. For comparison purposes.

My only question this year is why all the Big 12 love when they have only played each other. Because some talking head on ESPN happens to espouse your point of view and you will cling to that statement. If Texas Tech had played Oklahoma earlier in the year and the same final score was posted, TT would be lucky to be in the top 10 right now. Texas would be struggling to justify losing to a team outside the top 10 who got throttled by 44 freaking points!! Unfortunately it's all about when you and your conference teams lose their first regular season games

I am jaded about the entire discussion. ESPN has done more harm than good over the years because they are so ready to proclaim certain teams as "teams of the millennium".

I have seen no less than 30 teams be declared the "all-time greatest team".

Agree.

Big Twelve will be in title game. ESPN already decided it. It's CNN ignoring Ron Paul. Also agree Penn State escaped Columbus. Not sure I have the answer to who should play. So let's let the talking heads May and Alberts decide it. They surely know the cures to all problems.

Texas vs. Florida/Bama

Bank it.

How come we are willing ot talk usc and penn st but not talk about utah ??

Also , here is what i don't get. When it comes to the ou vs texas argument ( putting tech to the side for a second ) ...... Texas schedule was actually tougher than oklahomas on some levels. The guantlet of oklahoma at a neutral , vs missouri , vs oklahoma st and AT texas tech was the toughest 4 game stretch of scheduling since the 1940's i think they said ( playing opponents ranked that high four consecutive weeks -- was told notre dame was the team back then ) . Oklahoma had a schedule that lined up nicely with a bye week prior to their two best opponents so far ( tcu and texas tech ) and chattanooga the week prior to cincinnati ( so basically a bye week there too ).

You can't or shouldn't just look at the teams played but the context inwhich the games were played. We all know the reality as we look for sandwiches , lookaheads , favorable travel situations to make money .... texas ran a guantlet vs four tough teams consecutively and oklahoma basicaly had a bye week prior to every tough game.

Where is the clear body of work to overcome the straight up loss on a neutral field ?? It's not like the gmae was in austin.

That brings up the other point ..... who did oklahoma play on the road this year ? They ahve okie st on the road and that is going to be a tough environment but prior to that it was AT baylor , AT washington , AT kansas st and AT TAMU. Two of the four have brand new coaches and the other two will have different coaches next year.

Of each teams losses in the round robin , oklahomas is the worst.

tech lost AT ou
texas lost AT tech
ou lost on a neutral to texas

when looking at how they lost , again ou was a worse loss ....

texas lost in last second on late drop of interception and the long td pass at tech
ou lost by getting bitch slapped by texas on a neutral , no doubter game.
tech lost by getting cremated in norman

ranking the non-common opponent wins ( and the round robin ) looks like this to me ...

texas defeated missouri and ou defeated tcu .... small advantage texas
texas defeated okie st and ou defeated cincy ,.. clear advantage texas
texas defeated arkansas and ou defeated nebraska .. small advantage ou
texas defeated colorado and ou defeated kstate ..... no edge for either ( col beat kst though )
texas defeated rice and ou defeated tamu . .......... small edge for ou ? others might make rice a favorite vs tamu on a neutral
texas defeated utep and ou defeated washington ... clear edge for texas
texas defeated fau and ou defeated chattanooga ... huge edge for texas

So not only do i find that texas schedule was gauntlet- like and oklahomas was set up beautifully for them but i dont find anything close to resembling a huge advantage to oklahoma in level of competition so far .... and we are not talking as if these teams did not play each other on a neutral field .... the body of work should have to be significantly better than that of texas to even consider that option , given the result in dallas.

sorry sooners , logic and reason and an unbiased look at the actual facts clearly shows that texas should be clearly ranked higher than ou.

why even waste your breath on Oklahoma - Texas won straight up. But Stoops does have a good point that by that theory you can't put Texas ahead of Tech.

That's why you have to go to USC, PSU, undefeateds

Why Utah??? Why not BALL STATE??????????????????????????

Why not BOISE STATE??????????????????

utah in my opinion plays in a tougher conference than the pac10 , wac and mac ... and in one that is similar though probably lesser than the bigten.

but i agree , the ballst and bosie st of the world should be in the discussion ... which is why i advocate a playoff with every conference champion from the sunbelt to the pacten making it. It is the antithesis of sport to have judges decide who the best is ..... this is supposed to be football , not figure skating. decide it on the field.

VK,
that is the one of the main reasons why I enjoy this site. Although LJ's and others fine posts in the GD forum are running neck and neck.

Those are the situations that will make you money over the course of the year. I don't bet a ton but would lose games that I thought were sure fire winners because I failed to factor those look aheads etc into my equations. I certainly appreciate everyones posts and insights into the impact of these situations into CAPPING THE GAME of college football.

the whole notion of style points pisses me off. pussy coaches and their style points

This is why vegas needs to have its pole. It is obvious that they know what is going on. Hell, we try to beat them year in and year out, but not one of you can say that they do not know what they are doing. More times than not a game will fall extremely close to the opening line of gambling. Give these guys a vote.

OSU beats OU
Florida St beats Florida
TT goes to the Big 12 Championship but who care because it's
Texas vs. Alabama in the national title

Or

OU wins out, goes to Big 12 Championship & National Title
Florida St beats Florida
Florida beats Alabama for the SEC Champshionship
Texas vs OU for the National Title

OSU beats OU
Florida St beats Florida
TT goes to the Big 12 Championship but who care because it's
Texas vs. Alabama in the national title

Or

OU wins out, goes to Big 12 Championship & National Title
Florida St beats Florida
Florida beats Alabama for the SEC Champshionship
Texas vs OU for the National Title

Either of those scenarios would be OK with me and its damn sure not b/c its fair. Its only b/c a Texas team that didn't make the Big XII championship game but makes the National Title game may very well finally force a college football playoff. IMO its a moot point as Florida will run shit in the game anyways but that's a topic for a later discussion

There is no fucking way in hell Texas should play Oklahoma for the National Title

Not when there's one loss USC and PSU out there

There is no fucking way in hell Texas should play Oklahoma for the National Title

I completely agree but I want the BCS to fuck it up as bad as possible and it has to be at the expense of a team that deserves to play for the National Title. But I will take anything to get a playoff

Because TT won the game at home vs Texas not on a neutral field like TX/OU. OU has lost their last two games at Lubbock while Texas has lost 2 of its last 3 I believe there. Lubbock is not in easy place to win a football game and both those teams know that. TT has had all of its big games in Lubbock this year except for last week.

TT has never beaten Stoops or Brown on the road so not sure why anyone was surprised of that outcome last week.

Do you really think if that game would've been played in Austin not Lubbock with Texas having its best WR (Cosby), CB (Brown), and DE (Orakpo) healthy for the game they would've lost by one point again?

Did OU have to play TX, Mizzu, Okie St, and TT in a row? Or even TT schedule of TX, Okie St., and OU in a row?

OU has been playing nothing but pansies of late and got a bye week to get healthy and ready for TT.

Its not a three way tie. Its between #2 Texas and #4 OU. Texas is the better team because they both already played on a neutral site...

Its so simple my head hurts talking about it.

Your the only person on this board that thinks PSU is better then OU or Texas.

We're both homers so I'll let the rest of the board decide who are the better teams in that argument and just leave it alone.

Your the only person on this board that thinks PSU is better then OU or Texas.

We're both homers so I'll let the rest of the board decide who are the better teams in that argument and just leave it alone.

I dont care if every single person on this board says Texas is better than PSU...they could all be wrong...no one will ever know because in all likelihood they wont play

NO ONE can say for SURE either way...

Im just saying I dont think two teams from the same conference should play for the national title when all theyve really accomplished this year is beating one another

Situations matter.

Its important to include intangible factors as part of your analysis when looking at games and arguments like this. These are not paid professionals, the better team doesn't always win, in fact the better team frequently loses in collegiate sports, it goes back to the "any given Saturday..." These are kids - with limited time to prepare who can and will be influenced by the home field, and the crowd, and the travel, and school work, and you name it. There are also history and rivalries that have an impact on focus.

The Oregon schools (and the Beavers in particular) have USC's number at home. Conversely, Oregon State never travels well outside of Pac 10 play, they always lose non-con roadies and frequently get blown out like Louisville, Penn State, Boise, Cincinnati, Utah, and Fresno in recent years. But the simple fact remains, there isn't one team in America that could have come into Corvalis on Thursday September 25th and beaten the Beavers. USC was fucked before the game kicked off.

Just like there isn't one team in America that was going to go into Lubbock for that night game and come away with a win, especially not one on the tail end of 4 mentally and physically draining games.

Just like there isn't one team in America that was going to go into Norman last Saturday night...you get the picture.

I expect the general public to not be aware of these factors, but folks at this site should know exactly how it works. For my money - USC, TT, Texas, and PSU all have losses that are either forgivable or somewhat explainable based on a combination of the foe and spot. OU has a quality loss by virtue of who the opponent was, but I can't really see any inherent advantages that Texas had, so I would say their loss is good but to a lesser extent. I think right now, Florida is skating by. Mississippi isn't a bad team, but that was a home loss. The SEC-love right now is keeping it under wraps from what I can tell. No doubt the Gators offense is impressive, they may very well be a top five team, but unless you just assume that the SEC is the best conference you couldn't really say they have a top five resume. They still have two more tests though, a road rivalry game and a championship game, if they get by with one loss it will be tough to argue with them and I won't try. I just can't say that UF has done any better against their schedule than USC/Texas or anyone else would have, but that does seem to be presumed by many folks.

I agree Florida has gotten a free pass for their home loss and being in the SEC which is having a down year by their standards. The computers though don't like Florida because of the SOS.

Right now looking at the votes their are two kinds of human voters. You've got the voter who is going with the hot team (Florida & OU), and the voter who is looking at the entire body of work (Bama being undefeated, and Texas).

rockpaperscissorssmallrd0.jpg

sure am tired of the way the teams won......ou dominated tech......texas dominated ou.....tech dominated texas......all were impressive victories....all should get a chance.......go okie state!!!!!

ou is the most impressive team but is that at home only?
tech played a horrible road game vs a coach that knows their plays
texas is crying because they blew it even with the refs help in lubbock

if ou loses will tech jump into the national championship with a win over baylor and missouri?

TT has absolutley no shot at the BCS championship even if they win the Big 12 title. They were dropped so low in the human polls for getting blown out, lost late, only two signature wins at home, and have a pretty bad SOS.

Coaches are not going to vault them five spots to #2 by beating Baylor even if OU loses in Stillwater and TT gets the tiebreaker to go to the Big 12.

Trust me the BCS committee is praying for an OU victory tomorrow. I also bet you the Big 12 adopts the SEC tiebreaker next year which in this case would be Texas going if its a three way tie.

We'll see..

Pretty retarded that a team would play for the MNC without winning its' division, let alone the conference. Either way, go pokes.

If Ok State wins and Texas Tech goes to the Big 12 title game and wins...and Texas goes to the BCS Championship game, the whole sport should just give up...whats the point?

I agree. That's why the BCS is going to be shitting if OU loses. BCS chaos at its finest.

ARK beating LSU just helped Texas SOS bigtime. This Nebraska/CU game is pretty big right now.

You're an absolute oaf if you think Texas Tech would beat Texas on a neutral field. Texas already beat ou on a neutral field. Case closed. Texas should go.

39-33 sweetheart.

And I don't understand what the big deal is about a neutral field. Isn't a win on a neutral field LESS impressive than going into someone's home stadium and beating them ON THE ROAD? Why all the love for the neutral site?

39-33 sweetheart.

And I don't understand what the big deal is about a neutral field. Isn't a win on a neutral field LESS impressive than going into someone's home stadium and beating them ON THE ROAD? Why all the love for the neutral site?

Yes, winning on the road is more impressive than a neutral field win. What does that have to do with the price of tea in Muleshoe? Winning on a neutral field is also more impressive than a home win. Only one team of the group did that. That team also played a tougher schedule and has the better strength of schedule. It ain't complicated.

As for 39-33, nice win. You've had a terrific year and I'd love to see you guys whip whatever bowl opponent you draw. You've had the greatest run your program has enjoyed in the modern football era. I'm sure it was a fun ride.

Pardon me for not having a clue and not wanting to read through 4 pages of Big 12 bickering, but if Texas Tech loses does that make Texas the rep in the B12 title game?

Whats the point of all the arguing anyway?

Whoever goes is just gonna get blasted by Florida

I actually agree with you on this unless Harvin seriously hurt that ankle.

OU will go if they whip Okie St. tonight. Gotta love the flyover set up by the Longhorn message board.

It'll take a special kind of douchebaggery to send ou over Texas. Tech's shown itself to be a pretender, and ou lost by double digits on a neutral field. In any other conference Texas would be going.

Texas could beat Florida. We're atleast as good as Ole Miss on a neutral field.

Situations matter.

Its important to include intangible factors as part of your analysis when looking at games and arguments like this. These are not paid professionals, the better team doesn't always win, in fact the better team frequently loses in collegiate sports, it goes back to the "any given Saturday..." These are kids - with limited time to prepare who can and will be influenced by the home field, and the crowd, and the travel, and school work, and you name it. There are also history and rivalries that have an impact on focus.

The Oregon schools (and the Beavers in particular) have USC's number at home. Conversely, Oregon State never travels well outside of Pac 10 play, they always lose non-con roadies and frequently get blown out like Louisville, Penn State, Boise, Cincinnati, Utah, and Fresno in recent years. But the simple fact remains, there isn't one team in America that could have come into Corvalis on Thursday September 25th and beaten the Beavers. USC was fucked before the game kicked off.

Just like there isn't one team in America that was going to go into Lubbock for that night game and come away with a win, especially not one on the tail end of 4 mentally and physically draining games.

Just like there isn't one team in America that was going to go into Norman last Saturday night...you get the picture.

I expect the general public to not be aware of these factors, but folks at this site should know exactly how it works. For my money - USC, TT, Texas, and PSU all have losses that are either forgivable or somewhat explainable based on a combination of the foe and spot. OU has a quality loss by virtue of who the opponent was, but I can't really see any inherent advantages that Texas had, so I would say their loss is good but to a lesser extent. I think right now, Florida is skating by. Mississippi isn't a bad team, but that was a home loss. The SEC-love right now is keeping it under wraps from what I can tell. No doubt the Gators offense is impressive, they may very well be a top five team, but unless you just assume that the SEC is the best conference you couldn't really say they have a top five resume. They still have two more tests though, a road rivalry game and a championship game, if they get by with one loss it will be tough to argue with them and I won't try. I just can't say that UF has done any better against their schedule than USC/Texas or anyone else would have, but that does seem to be presumed by many folks.

Great post. :cheers:'an_horse'

Texas is getting alot of love from the media and talking heads. Cowherd had a pretty good rant on his show while Corso and Fowler seems offended that OU is over Texas.

I think the vote may swing Texas way in the upcoming poll.

Texas should go. The loss to Tech was more of a fluke due to scheduling than Oklahoma's loss to Texas.

Yep, consider yourself more intelligent than every talking head out there and some on this board. Context of scheduling has been overlooked in this argument, and it's ridiculous. Even more ridiculous, is the fact that some on this board, those that ostensibly cap games based on situations and scheduling, fail to mention the guantlet that Texas ran in October.

As an unbiased (observer) Oklahoma Sooners are the best team in the B12, imo any other team would have faded after that kickoff return for a TD. To score over 50 at Stillwater is retarded.

McCoy had the game of his life against Oklahoma back in October...not taking anything away from him or Texas..but I think Texas had a LOT of things go their way that day.

Like I said, a case can be made for both teams...just my opinion that Oklahoma is better right now.

Now over 60 as I type this...

atleast this eliminates usc from ANY consideration. Have fun in the rose bowl trojans.

If you are a voter choosing between texas and ou , the choice is clearly texas in my mind for all the reasons i have already stated.

Back