MLB Offseason Thread

GWarner27

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium
Would like to be more involved with tracking what happens in the offseason this year so similar to Grind's NCAAB thread I figured we could do that here...

McCann + cash to HOU for Albert Abreu, Jorge Guzman

...surprising move even though it's clearly going to be Gary Sanchez's team going forward. Not sure I'd like the drop off between Sanchez and Romine on an everyday basis/I thought McCann could be a solid LH DH or could move to 1B or something

GWarner27 thanks for starting this thread, I strongly feel the Yankees are stocking up prospects to throw at the Angels for Trout. Yes their fans would scream & shout but they need to rebuild badly. Yankees are now chock full of up & coming young guns.

HOU also signs Reddick to a four-year deal. Do they move Springer to LF to keep him healthy or something? It'd seem like a waste to have Reddick in LF with such a short porch and I don't see him in CF. Maybe Springer to CF? But that seems to be where Teoscar Hernandez is gonna be

Can't imagine Gattis moves back to the OF even before this signing, so he'll DH and play C depending on what type of pitcher's throwing that day splitting time with McCann.

GWarner27 thanks for starting this thread, I strongly feel the Yankees are stocking up prospects to throw at the Angels for Trout. Yes their fans would scream & shout but they need to rebuild badly. Yankees are now chock full of up & coming young guns.

makes sense. I think Cashman has done an incredible job lately so they're not gonna be in too bad shape even if they can't get a deal done for Trout (who I would think LAA would be stupid to trade and won't unless they somehow see the writing on the wall that they'll be a doormat for a decade if not)

seeing more rumors about them making a run at Bryce in a couple of years

I know Yankees are different and need marketable "stars", but empty the minor league system for Trout?. Also, I don't think the Angels would do it, unless Mike demanded it

i think it would be dumb for the yanks to do that. they're going to be in really good shape in a year or two. Gleybor Torres, who they got for chapman, just destroyed the AZ Fall League.

Here are the ones I can think of:

Cards sign Brett Cecil for 4 years, 30 mil. odd signing, can't say I'm too upset about this one.
Rangers signed Andrew Cashner for 1 year, 10 mil, i think it was. Cashner should be a lot better than he is.
Royals signed Drew Butera to a 2 year deal. silly.
Blue Jays signed Kendry Morales to a 3 year, 33 mil deal. Meh, whatever.
Twins released Trevor Plouffe.
Cubs declined option on Jason Hammel.
Nats resigned Chris Heisey to a 1 year deal. makes sense.
Yanks released Dustin Ackley.
Braves signed Fatolo Colon and RA Dickwad. guess they want to eat up some innings.

Astros so far have:
Added McCann as catcher (huge upgrade over Castro)
Added Reddick to the OF
Added Charlie Morton to the rotation

I think these are all pretty good signings! McCann cost two nothing prospects and I believe the Yankees even threw in 11 mil in cash. Now, McCann obviously not great, and on the downside of his career, but he is 3x better than Casto offensively.
Reddick got paid, but not crazy money, and not to mention they were paying Rasmus more in a year and he offered nothing. More importantly he is lefthanded (as is McCann) and the Astros had nothing from that side of the plate last year.
Morton to me is a sneaky good signing. Not much money per year, and although he is 33, he has very few innings on that arm. He is a pretty extreme ground ball pitcher (very important in that park) and although an injury risk, if he gives you 20-25 starts per year, he is a solid back of the rotation guy. And he tweaked his delivery a few years back to be a lot like Roy Holliday (yeah, I know he's not ever going to be that good, but look at the way he throws and you'll see it) and he had a few solid years in a row. I see more of the same.

Astros didn't break the bank, added three players and should still be in there for another signing or two.
They need a first baseman, from outside or within, but looking it over quick:
Altuve
Bregman
Springer
Correa
McCann
Reddick
Gurriel?
Not too shabby

McCullers, McHugh, Keuchel, Musgrove, Morton, Paulinho....
Decent bullpen

Starting to look good....

Astros didn't break the bank, added three players and should still be in there for another signing or two.
What happened to them going after Cabrera and/or Encarnacion? Don't really see the point of emptying the farm system for Cabrera unless the Tigers are willing to eat a large portion of his salary.

Braves signed Fatolo Colon and RA Dickwad. guess they want to eat up some innings.
Those two signings really make no sense to me given all the Braves talk about being competitive in time for the opening of their new park. Why not just give those innings to some prospects and let them learn on the job the way they did with Glavine and Smoltz years ago? Only thing I can figure is they hope for the best and deal them at the deadline. One thing I do know - a declining Dickey in the ATL heat is going to give up runs and plenty of them (provided he makes it that far).

At some point this year the Braves are gonna have Colon-Rekker as the pitcher and catcher
Played poker with Rekker in vegas a few years ago when he was in the minors with the A's. They were there to play the 51's in Vegas and we sat next to each other at the Nugget for about 4 hours. Half the team was at that table. Not very good poker players haha but bunch of good dudes. I remember he was built like a brick shithouse and I ragged on Mauer and that awful contract. He sheepishly laughed.

I don't follow him much but doesn't seem to have much offensive game, more of a defensive catcher at best.

What happened to them going after Cabrera and/or Encarnacion? Don't really see the point of emptying the farm system for Cabrera unless the Tigers are willing to eat a large portion of his salary.
I don't think this team will make a massive move like this at this point in time, although they don't really have a great 1B/DH (Gurriel is okay).
But, they should. They have Altuve/Bregman/Correa and Springer all on the cheap right now, and they will be receiving massive pay increases their next contract. Astros could absolutely absorb a 2 year $40/million dollar monster bat - problem is the guys that are worth it are going to ask for (and get) 4-5 year contracts. A guy like Cespedes could be an option I suppose - but I think they'll wait and see at this point in time, as they probably have shot their load.

Astros should be a fun team to watch next year and if their pitching gets right (and healthy) they have a legit shot to challenge for the AL, imho.

i was surprised the astros flamed out like they did this year. def a team to fear. we'll see if they can get their SP right (and healthy).

I am interested to see what moves Rizzo is going to make in the off season regarding Espinosa and Trea Turner. If Nats decide to trade Espinosa and move Turner to shortstop, I would think they would go for a good stick in CF to bolster their lineup maybe a reunion with Ian Desmond who set himself up nicely with a good year with Texas in 2016. Nats did not offer Ramos a qualifying offer, and seem content to move on from him unless he potentially would sign a short term deal. This would further weaken their offense. Now I read Nats showing interest in Chapman again which would be costly, compared to resigning Melancon.

Here are the ones I can think of:

Cards sign Brett Cecil for 4 years, 30 mil. odd signing, can't say I'm too upset about this one.
Rangers signed Andrew Cashner for 1 year, 10 mil, i think it was. Cashner should be a lot better than he is.
Royals signed Drew Butera to a 2 year deal. silly.
Blue Jays signed Kendry Morales to a 3 year, 33 mil deal. Meh, whatever.
Twins released Trevor Plouffe.
Cubs declined option on Jason Hammel.
Nats resigned Chris Heisey to a 1 year deal. makes sense.
Yanks released Dustin Ackley.

cashner sucks, usually trust StL with their pen signings but Cecil has been great to see when holding a ticket on the opposing team, Butera lol, don't get the Plouffe move, Morales to TOR means EE or Bats are moving on (or both), Maddon and Hammel's mutual hatred for each other seems to finally have come to a head, ATL still not trying to compete just yet

Those two signings really make no sense to me given all the Braves talk about being competitive in time for the opening of their new park. Why not just give those innings to some prospects and let them learn on the job the way they did with Glavine and Smoltz years ago? Only thing I can figure is they hope for the best and deal them at the deadline. One thing I do know - a declining Dickey in the ATL heat is going to give up runs and plenty of them (provided he makes it that far).

people are so afraid of overworking young arms now that that may not be a possibility

Played poker with Rekker in vegas a few years ago when he was in the minors with the A's. They were there to play the 51's in Vegas and we sat next to each other at the Nugget for about 4 hours. Half the team was at that table. Not very good poker players haha but bunch of good dudes. I remember he was built like a brick shithouse and I ragged on Mauer and that awful contract. He sheepishly laughed.

I don't follow him much but doesn't seem to have much offensive game, more of a defensive catcher at best.

definitely more defense, but i don't think he was much there either

i was surprised the astros flamed out like they did this year. def a team to fear. we'll see if they can get their SP right (and healthy).

no rotation caught up to them, though a lot can be blamed on Giles blowing games too

I am interested to see what moves Rizzo is going to make in the off season regarding Espinosa and Trea Turner. If Nats decide to trade Espinosa and move Turner to shortstop, I would think they would go for a good stick in CF to bolster their lineup maybe a reunion with Ian Desmond who set himself up nicely with a good year with Texas in 2016. Nats did not offer Ramos a qualifying offer, and seem content to move on from him unless he potentially would sign a short term deal. This would further weaken their offense. Now I read Nats showing interest in Chapman again which would be costly, compared to resigning Melancon.

Shark is as lock-down as you can find, i'd stick with him. Interesting to read that they won't give Taylor a shot in CF if they move Espinosa (which they should)

I think the Nats really kind of messed Taylor up at the beginning of 2016, batting him up at the top of the order which was a mistake and trying to make him something which he is not (i.e more contact slap hitter than gap line drive hitter) just because they were struggling for a lead off candidate with Revere hurt at beginning of the year. I believe Taylor should see plenty of action in 2017 maybe in left (how much can Werth really have left at this point) but the Nats are still going to pursue a solid power hitter for the OF if they move Espinosa.

Can't wait to see the bombs Taijuan gives up at Chase, just another homerun pitcher and all the Snakes had to give up was one of the best leadoff hitters in the league last season.

I thought that was a pretty good deal for Arizona, actually. Walker is a guy I'd love to have and Segura isn't near as good as he played last year. Good sell high with him imo.

New CBA gets rid of the All Star Game determining HFA for the World Series, been a long time coming obviously. Also important, the minimum DL stint is going to be reduced from 15 to 10 days.

Can't complain about any of that.

cubs sign jon jay for 8 mil for 1 year. cant imagine dex is coming back now

That sucks if Fowler isn't coming back for them. Obviously they're uber talented and probably won't miss a beat at all, but he was a key contributor and seems like a "heartbeat" type player for them.

For you Phillies fans that get Comcast philly... John Kruk will be in the booth this season doing games.

That sucks if Fowler isn't coming back for them. Obviously they're uber talented and probably won't miss a beat at all, but he was a key contributor and seems like a "heartbeat" type player for them.

for sure. too much money this time around in a too crowded OF. I like how Almora looked last year - better hitter than I thought and he's got some pop. His defense will be better than Dex, which they need with Schwarbs out in LF.

Sale to Red Sox. wow
yea, heck of a deal but that's a ton of lefties in their S5. One of Pomz/Rodriquez probably shipped for more parts? Probably see if anyone wants to take a chance on Clay

Imagine playing Boston in a 3 game set and you get the top of that rotation: Sale/Price/Porcello and they can mash the ball too. Apparently Ortiz is still working out and keeping in baseball shape too.

yea, heck of a deal but that's a ton of lefties in their S5. One of Pomz/Rodriquez probably shipped for more parts? Probably see if anyone wants to take a chance on Clay

Imagine playing Boston in a 3 game set and you get the top of that rotation: Sale/Price/Porcello and they can mash the ball too. Apparently Ortiz is still working out and keeping in baseball shape too.

Porcello will come back to Earth next season. How many times have we seen it in MLB? Hell, Clay is on their team and fits the bill. Porcello had a great year, but chances of him duplicating that and being the stud he was isn't anywhere near a lock.

for sure. too much money this time around in a too crowded OF. I like how Almora looked last year - better hitter than I thought and he's got some pop. His defense will be better than Dex, which they need with Schwarbs out in LF.

Dex is a great defender so that's some high praise

problem is, even a heavy RH lineup like TOR of the past two years won't be a huge advantage because Sale and Price are so talented

Porcello will come back to Earth next season. How many times have we seen it in MLB? Hell, Clay is on their team and fits the bill. Porcello had a great year, but chances of him duplicating that and being the stud he was isn't anywhere near a lock.

Porcello's change-up was phenomenal last year and as a sinkerballer i'm not sure you're right

ian desmond to the rockies for 5 and 70 mil. rockies gonna rockie.

don't get it either

Was hiping Nats could keep Robles and Lopez, but nice move getting Eaton. He was the guy I thought they should target. 5 years of cheap control for a really good defender with .360 OBP and decent pop. Prolly a 3.5 to 5 WAR type that is a huge upgrade over Espinosa.

They need a closer and could be about done. Would like to kick tires on tyson ross.

That should be a mid 90s win team assuming health.

Yanks got Chapman 5/86m allegedly, not surprising, and Cubs made the move for Davis so it all makes sense

Was hiping Nats could keep Robles and Lopez, but nice move getting Eaton. He was the guy I thought they should target. 5 years of cheap control for a really good defender with .360 OBP and decent pop. Prolly a 3.5 to 5 WAR type that is a huge upgrade over Espinosa.

They need a closer and could be about done. Would like to kick tires on tyson ross.

That should be a mid 90s win team assuming health.

if they aren't healthy, the farm is empty and Rizzo again looks like he needs to be replaced with that joke of a deal

if they aren't healthy, the farm is empty and Rizzo again looks like he needs to be replaced with that joke of a deal

I would hope Rizzo isnt replaced; one of the best in business. Depth at starting pitching wont be an issue.

Huge improvement on team; probably added 3-4 wins for 2017. Curious to see how Lopez and Giolito work out.

fowler to the cards, barf. glad he got paid. this was his one chance to really bank and he got 80 mil. can't root for him, but I do love the guy.

I would hope Rizzo isnt replaced; one of the best in business. Depth at starting pitching wont be an issue.

Huge improvement on team; probably added 3-4 wins for 2017. Curious to see how Lopez and Giolito work out.

yikes. You really thought trading Giolito and Lopez in the same deal would only get you Eaton and not a bigger name?

yikes. You really thought trading Giolito and Lopez in the same deal would only get you Eaton and not a bigger name?

I was hoping they could get him without giving up Lopez, but that clearly wasn't going to be the case. Eaton has been a top 10 OF in the last 3 years and was a top 5 outfielder last year. Even if you expect regression (shouldn't since hes 27), he is signed for 5 years at 38 million. Having a really good OF for cheap allows you to spend money elsewhere.

I don't think people realize how good Eaton is. I didn't realize how good his contract is. He would get way over $100 million if he was a FA.

For the Nats, it kinda sucks that Giolito lost some value last year with lower velocity and sketchy performance.

I completely missed the Eaton deal. Talk about the White Sox getting much better in a hurry. I really think Washington overpaid there and wish Brewers would start getting the potential star power in instead of above average to fringe all-stars. I want stars damnit! lol

They have to move Braun soon

Should get a haul for him

think that window has passed, especially with the steroid stuff

I was hoping they could get him without giving up Lopez, but that clearly wasn't going to be the case. Eaton has been a top 10 OF in the last 3 years and was a top 5 outfielder last year. Even if you expect regression (shouldn't since hes 27), he is signed for 5 years at 38 million. Having a really good OF for cheap allows you to spend money elsewhere.

I don't think people realize how good Eaton is. I didn't realize how good his contract is. He would get way over $100 million if he was a FA.

For the Nats, it kinda sucks that Giolito lost some value last year with lower velocity and sketchy performance.

top 10 in what? top 5 in what? He's a contact hitter who has good speed and plays well in the field, but i'd probably take 30 guys who play OF before him in this league

Top 5 in WAR. He's a contact hitter with good on base skills and some pop. Is really good at baserunning and a good defensive outfielder. I have no idea how you could come up with 30 better outfielders because it is illogical.

Just finished reading this article which sums it up pretty good. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/comparing-the-dexter-fowler-and-adam-eaton-decisions/

I think you could make an argument that signing Fowler was the better move (assuming he would have signed). But, it 50/50 either way. Was a solid move, not a home run for the Nats.

Back