• 2nd Chance Survivor -- Contest Forum for Details!!
  • MNF Quick Pick Contest -- Cash Prize
Intentional grounding has never taken into account whether the QB is under duress, far more egregious calls than that one have existed. And I disagree with the call. But that's been called that way every time whether we agree or not.

Intentional grounding has never taken into account whether the QB is under duress, far more egregious calls than that one have existed. And I disagree with the call. But that's been called that way every time whether we agree or not.

I understand, hence my soapbox post.

Reactions: KJ

I also note that this orthodoxy would, by extension, also make intentionally grounding to stop the clock (spiking the ball) also flaggable. Right? If not, then somone's got sum splainin to do.

Well depends. It's clearly intentional but a RB is almost always in the area. We gonna go to the FG holder who's knee is down too?

Well depends. It's clearly intentional but a RB is almost always in the area. We gonna go to the FG holder who's knee is down too?
There's a specific rule that says it's legal for the holder to have his knee on the ground while he possesses the ball.

There's a specific rule that says it's legal for the holder to have his knee on the ground while he possesses the ball.
So we can go another route

Is it then legal to line up on 4th like you're going for it, deep shotgun, kicker lined up behind him (or anyone) and trick play! QB catches, drops to a knee and holds it?

Obviously that's ludicrous but the rule is so arbitrary, if he was never intending to hold it (that trick play in the 1h) should he be down? It comes full circle because refs are allowed to determine intent by virtue of intentional grounding

Side note I think kickers should be way more involved than they are. Put more FOOT in football! That lobby needs to happen

Back