If it's Texas vs. Ohio St.

hunt you don't think pryor has seen a defense like texas'? perhaps i'm missing something, but i'd put usc and penn state's defense ahead of texas...

great points vk and texasfight...thanks for the responses. i 100% agree that they'll be able to commit more players in the box and that the receivers will likely fail to create any separation at all. any pryor passing yards will be done because of his ability to scramble and allow receivers to get open imo. is the combination of pryor/wells better than any rushing game texas has faced though? i think so; but is it better to the extent that it will be effective even with more guys in the box? i am not sure, but it's surely going to be a big adjustment for texas to face a team that is going to run the ball 90% of the time imo.

that's a great point about griffin, hunt. that was one of the comparisons i thought of as well before making my wager on ohio state. kid's like a watered down pryor imo. although a much different type of spot, i still think it's at least relevant.

should be a great game. i'm glad i got in at 10.5 as i didn't think that number would hold up. think it's a tight line either way, so the extra point and a half and counting might come in handy

One team I am worried about as far as motivation..Alabama.

Didn't this happen to West Virginia last year???

I am now thinking Bama is going to be ultra motivated.

I like they lost these guys know this season will still be a success if they win their bowl

I recall Ohio State pounded in Ann Arbor Chris Perry game in 03 denying national championship went out and pounded K-State

USC losing to UCLA denied title game goes to Rose Bowl and dominates

-----losing before a bowl game makes this more enticing I am looking up some incredible stats

Especially with great teams they think look if we win this bowl game all we've did, only one regular season blemish, why not go to the bowl game and make this a succes?

That loss sticks with you and you can't wait to end the seson right------if a team has pride and leaders this trend is money

SABAN is the perfect coach. BAMA wants to make this season a success and cap it off right. That's a fact.

o-state, i have to disagree man. especially on this young team...this team just played one of their best games of the year only to get beat and not go to the national championship game, and now they play a non-bcs school that everyone expects them to crush...and one that is pretty damn good. i just don't know how the hell i would be motivated. it would be a lot easier to be motivated if they were playing texas or a big named school. i think utah shocks everyone.

i'll be in the house.

Hook 'em horns, i'd lay the points but i don't like betting fav's of more than a TD.

TF and I may disagree politically on just about everything, but that f**ker can 'cap the them Texas boys like they're his b*tch.

Really good contributions, TF.

For the record, I'm not trying to leave anybody else out from those kudos, O-State & BJoe have done some really good work here, too, just to name a couple.

When my kid runs for president, Joe's our campaign manager. Period. Only dude that made me think about voting for Obama. Dude's a young Karl Rove.

When my kid runs for president, Joe's our campaign manager. Period. Only dude that made me think about voting for Obama. Dude's a young Karl Rove.

Aw, TF, that's such nice thing to say. Thanks. Now hand over the 401k.

Kidding, I'm kidding.

Where the fuck is everyone?

Just my final two pennies on this game...

I believe it all hinges on Mr. Pryor, hate to do that to a freshman, but it is what it is. I believe he will take some bumps along the way and eventually be dominant..but does he get a head start here?

If TP has a good game OSU will cover and possibly win outright.

McCoy hasn't had a bad game yet, is he due? OSU has a great secondary.

I have read that tOSU is throwing a ton of new wrinkles in the passing game and going to 4 wide sets and doing a lot of the veer option. Will be interesting to see.

Texas is more experienced, better Qb..

just random thoughts..thoughts?

git yo ass in here jump?

I think Texas' defense will be the key here. OSU will limit Texas' scoring chances. The question is, can OSU exploit Texas' deficiencies on defense

Good point LJ...and it is up to Pryor to make the secondary pay...can he make the throws? will he be pressured all game?

If you are asking me, I think a lot of the value has diminished going from 10.5 to 8. If it hits 7 I would say Texas is a play, don't think it will though. Laying 8 you mid as well lay 9.5, no difference.

I agree with you about Pryor, and I think OSU may be able to establish the run. they're very Jeckle and hyde

If Pryor can throw the ball then Texas will have issues because they won't be able to just load up on Wells.

Texas will get pressure because they led the nation in sacks with Orakpo and Kindle on the outside.

Pryor is going to make or break this game.

If Pryor can throw the ball then Texas will have issues because they won't be able to just load up on Wells.

Texas will get pressure because they led the nation in sacks with Orakpo and Kindle on the outside.

Pryor is going to make or break this game.

Exactly.

Can Pryor really be that improved over 40 days of practice? sure he can, but gamespeed is a different demon.

I'm waiting for the line to get up closer to DD and then playing tOSU.. I can't recognize a team as a multi dimensional threat on offense when the QB is the team's leading rusher.. In some offensive system thats would be okay with me but not in a spread offense like Texas runs. I think one major thing that i've learned this bowl season is that young/inexperienced QB's have benefited as much or more than anyone in the bowl season.. See Oregon, Vandy, LSU and Va tech just to name a few.. tOSU's O line is my greatest concern against a solid front 7 for texas but that is the area where I feel pryor's mobility is the X-Factor.. If Pryor limits his mistakes he should be able to carve up the Texas secondary. It will be a tall task to ask tOSU to run the football on Texas but I believe tOSu is much better suited to do it than any of the pass happy offenses they faced in the B12. There is no way that i would even consider laying points with Texas in this spot even if it got to 6.5/7.. then it would prob just be a no play. Anything at 7+ I think is worth a play on tOSU.. My B12 bowl season fade continues to hopefully another ticket cashed..

I'm waiting for the line to get up closer to DD and then playing tOSU.. I can't recognize a team as a multi dimensional threat on offense when the QB is the team's leading rusher.. In some offensive system thats would be okay with me but not in a spread offense like Texas runs. I think one major thing that i've learned this bowl season is that young/inexperienced QB's have benefited as much or more than anyone in the bowl season.. See Oregon, Vandy, LSU and Va tech just to name a few.. tOSU's O line is my greatest concern against a solid front 7 for texas but that is the area where I feel pryor's mobility is the X-Factor.. If Pryor limits his mistakes he should be able to carve up the Texas secondary. It will be a tall task to ask tOSU to run the football on Texas but I believe tOSu is much better suited to do it than any of the pass happy offenses they faced in the B12. There is no way that i would even consider laying points with Texas in this spot even if it got to 6.5/7.. then it would prob just be a no play. Anything at 7+ I think is worth a play on tOSU.. My B12 bowl season fade continues to hopefully another ticket cashed..

Texas uses 4 different RBs throughout the game. They've had injuries and also go with whoever has the hot hand. Those 4 backs had 1300 yards and 20 TDS but none had more then 100 rushing attempts.

On paper Texas should win this game every way you break this game down but it really is coming down to motivation to me especially after watching that Bama game.

Would Utah have beaten Bama of the game was played in mid November this year?

The fact that none of the Texas fans seem to give two shits about this game could be a reflection of how the players feel as well.

Texas uses 4 different RBs throughout the game. They've had injuries and also go with whoever has the hot hand. Those 4 backs had 1300 yards and 20 TDS but none had more then 100 rushing attempts.

On paper Texas should win this game every way you break this game down but it really is coming down to motivation to me especially after watching that Bama game.

Would Utah have beaten Bama of the game was played in mid November this year?

The fact that none of the Texas fans seem to give two shits about this game could be a reflection of how the players feel as well.

I think that team's often embody its fan base's attitude and I think that was the case with Bama against utah and i think that it certainly could be the case tomorrow.

No, I don't think Utah would have beaten Bama in mid novemeber, nor do i think Utah would be playing in anything better than the Music City or Liberty bowl if they were in the SEC but that's neither here nor there..

As an SEC fan i have seen tOSU get run out of the buildings in january the past couple years and i think I'm just at the point where i feel tressell is too good a coach with too much talent to let it happen again. I do think Texas should win the game but i think this line is skewed due to public perception being polar opposites on each team individually and in terms of their respective conferences. I will readily acknowledge the SEC was down this season and i think most B 12 fans have to feel the same way about their conference at this very moment whether they will admit it or not

Will be on Texas first half to see how OSU plays. I also agree that it's hard for me to see OSU come out flat in another big game.

Thing is, I can make the argument for Texas' motivation. It goes like this.

You think it should be you playing in Miami? You think it should be Texas lining up against Florida? So do a lot of people. That's why they have split national titles.

If you go out there and simply hand it to OSU. Just kick the s**t out of them, and Florida struggles with OU, there will be writers and coaches who rank Texas as the National Champion. I guarantee it. Make a big enough statement and Texas could easily split the championship.

But if you go out there and lose, everybody will say that the system works. That Texas never deserved to be there in the first place, that the computers got it right, that this Texas team was never very good. That this Texas team couldn't really compete. That this Texas team got lucky on one weekend a few months ago and that this Texas team is nothing more than an also-ran. Lose this game and no one will ever talk about this Texas team ever again. But win, and win big, and you may be champions forever.

The only question is, is Mack Brown making this same argument.

Thing is, I can make the argument for Texas' motivation. It goes like this.

You think it should be you playing in Miami? You think it should be Texas lining up against Florida? So do a lot of people. That's why they have split national titles.

If you go out there and simply hand it to OSU. Just kick the s**t out of them, and Florida struggles with OU, there will be writers and coaches who rank Texas as the National Champion. I guarantee it. Make a big enough statement and Texas could easily split the championship.

But if you go out there and lose, everybody will say that the system works. That Texas never deserved to be there in the first place, that the computers got it right, that this Texas team was never very good. That this Texas team couldn't really compete. That this Texas team got lucky on one weekend a few months ago and that this Texas team is nothing more than an also-ran. Lose this game and no one will ever talk about this Texas team ever again. But win, and win big, and you may be champions forever.

The only question is, is Mack Brown making this same argument.

The only question I have with this thinking... Who is to say he will be able to run the score up even if he wanted to...? This is a fairly evenly matched game IMO.. Not one where one team can just turn it on and blow the other out by a couple TD's if they choose to do so..

Who is to say he will be able to run the score up even if he wanted to...?

Nobody. But that doesn't matter. You build the case. You make this team believe that they need to rip the heads off every single OSU player. That they have the undivided attention of the nation on TV and that the only case they can make as to how good they are is on that field tomorrow night. That if the entire country sees them just beat the ever-loving p*ss out of OSU the bar is set that much higher for the NC game and that they prove to the country that they were robbed.

See, right now Horn has it, this team thinks they were ripped off. But does America believe that? Hell no. The state of Texas believes it, but the rest of America's too busy watching Marley & Me and wondering when American Idol starts to give a s**t.

However, if tomorrow night Texas goes out there and absolutely crushes OSU, the whole country will look at Texas and say, 'hey, you guys got completely f**ked, you deserve a shot at the title.' They can really make things miserable for the BCS--and the BCS is exactly who wronged them in their eyes.

Point is, it doesn't matter whether they can do it or not, it's what you can use to motivate them to go out there and kick some ass. At least, it would motivate me.

Who is to say he will be able to run the score up even if he wanted to...?

Nobody. But that doesn't matter. You build the case. You make this team believe that they need to rip the heads off every single OSU player. That they have the undivided attention of the nation on TV and that the only case they can make as to how good they are is on that field tomorrow night. That if the entire country sees them just beat the ever-loving p*ss out of OSU the bar is set that much higher for the NC game and that they prove to the country that they were robbed.

See, right now Horn has it, this team thinks they were ripped off. But does America believe that? Hell no. The state of Texas believes it, but the rest of America's too busy watching Marley & Me and wondering when American Idol starts to give a s**t.

However, if tomorrow night Texas goes out there and absolutely crushes OSU, the whole country will look at Texas and say, 'hey, you guys got completely f**ked, you deserve a shot at the title.' They can really make things miserable for the BCS--and the BCS is exactly who wronged them in their eyes.

Point is, it doesn't matter whether they can do it or not, it's what you can use to motivate them to go out there and kick some ass. At least, it would motivate me.

Excellent points you make and I agree with you on all of them.. On the other side of the coin in regards to motivation I don't believe that tOSU will be short of it by any means. A big time program like they are cannot afford to come out and get drubbed again in a BCS game. None of us truly know exactly how much or for what reasons teams will be motivated for in particular but I just could see tOSU being a bit better prepared due to the fiascos they have had in year's past.

If Pryor can't throw the ball

Pryor is going to break this game.

Pryor is awful. What were OSU's big wins this year? hmmm....Oh yeah Michigan State (7-6, who lost to mediocre GA) and the COMEBACK over Wisc, (7-6,who got shredded by FSU) and Northwestern (9-4, who lost to a horrible looking Mizzou)...Texas has the superior QB, in an elite conference, with a better coach. Horns all day til -11.

but what do I know it's my first post

joe, I couldn't agree with you more. If OU squeaks by FLA in a ugly game, the fact Bama has lost to Utah kinda making FLA not seem as impressive, the fact OU passed Texas by beating Okie St. & TT late and now those teams have lost leaves Texas a shot to make a statement vs OU.

If they were to win this game by 30 or 40 points that would be the only way. That's probably not gonna happen but it would be the motivation I would use if I was Brown.

Texas is also playing for the right to be considered #1 next year with all the returning talent. It's going to be either them, USC, or FLA #1 next year.

joe, I couldn't agree with you more. If OU squeaks by FLA in a ugly game, the fact Bama has lost to Utah kinda making FLA not seem as impressive, the fact OU passed Texas by beating Okie St. & TT late and now those teams have lost leaves Texas a shot to make a statement vs OU.

If they were to win this game by 30 or 40 points that would be the only way. That's probably not gonna happen but it would be the motivation I would use if I was Brown.

Texas is also playing for the right to be considered #1 next year with all the returning talent. It's going to be either them, USC, or FLA #1 next year.

Based on the wager I saw that you have on the MNC I think we will both agree that UF will more than likely not just squeak by Oklahoma.. Utah has more of a case for a split title than anyone IMO. Telling a kid to go out and win by 40 and he may get a split national title is a whole hell of a lot different than going out on the field and doing it against a team that has as much talent and equal motivation as you..

Based on the wager I saw that you have on the MNC I think we will both agree that UF will more than likely not just squeak by Oklahoma.. Utah has more of a case for a split title than anyone IMO. Telling a kid to go out and win by 40 and he may get a split national title is a whole hell of a lot different than going out on the field and doing it against a team that has as much talent and equal motivation as you..

I agree. I also think the Texas players know that as well which is what makes me nervous about the motivation factor.

We could see a Utah/Alabama type situation where the favored team doesn't realize they are playing a football game until halftime.

Let's just say I lost a ton of confidence in my bet when I hung out with a couple of the players over xmas, two of which are considered the senior vocal leaders on offense and defense.

They seemed to have OU on their mind alot more then the Buckeyes.

big12 is more overrated than the mac

big10 sucks, but we all knew that before bowl season. big12 showing has been atrocious. bucks by 3 tds ;)

They key is going to be two things IMO....

Offensively: the OLine....Jim Cordle is not going to start this game with a dinged knee..that puts Ben Person back in and moves Rehring back to LG from RG and Person in at RG...that's brutal right side of Person and Browning...Melton may have a very big game and Ohio State will only run left...this might slow down Orakpo a little in the passing game though as they are going to be running at him alot..but Boone and Rehring are good...that right side is awful...Miller vs the true frosh Brewster is a good matchup too..both have a lot of nasty in them..

Defensively..get off blocks.. the short passing game is a bit of a concern as Ohio State hasn't gotten of blocks in the past...JL struggles when OLineman get to the second level and the secondary, while good, isn't great at getting off blocks..they are much better in space and then they tackle better than anyone...I think we'll see a ton of the star position in this game from Heacock..basically Tyler Moeller or Jermale Hines coming off the edge in a LEO spot a ton sorta of spying on McCoy and trying to hit him...Moeller will be a factor IMO...

Tress has to be agressive...no option with a white 6'5 kid on 2nd and 12 and run a draw setting for three...FG's aren't going to beat Texas...it's one thing trying to try wrinkles and another thing doing it...you have to commit to it...

Yes Hunt, that 40 days is huge for Pryor...he will look like a different QB, you can count on that...but we have to better up front to win the game...I think Ohio State will play well and beyond everything Texas will be hung over..I think we start quick...we always do in big games..

06- Mich score first drive..
06 FLA take kickoff back for TD
07 LSU...score TD first drive, FG next 10-0
08 USC...14 play drive right donw the field. settle for FG in redzone.

I assuem Texas defers and Tress always takes the ball first in big games...Take a prop on Ohio State scores first...

I'm excited about the game..I think Ohio State could win, I think they could lose close, I think they can lose by 17...depends on what happens when adversity starts..

I don't like Cordle out...I don't like Hartline basically suspended for two series....Saine is out...Williams suspended at least a half...Hines limited..

One thing that's been talked about alot on Ohio State's half is the fact that Texas plays man in the secondary..that means the DB's with the back to the play in passing situation....Kindle plays at the line a lot...if Pryor's breaks contain, he will break off several long runs...but he needs look to run more..he stays in the pocket way too long, esp for a having a bad/mediocre OLine...I hope they've told him get the hell out of there and use your legs...Baylor's QB had sucess in that situation...

As for a play, I think the value was on Ohio State and the line move dictated that...I still think it is.

But Ohio State fans are hesitant for good reason..they've had some downs...we'll see.

Hope it's a great game..two great programs with great tradition who played two great games a couple years back.

come get some

beanie_wells.jpg

For what it's worth, as much as I dislike Ohio St., I believe they cover the number. Damn it, I refuse to lose any plays this week. That's my play. Ohio St. covers with a chance to win outright. :shake:

I have a hard time respecting cappers who are homers no matter how respected or what conferences they align themselves. The fact is that this is a good matchup for tOSU. Take the points but I do beleive UT wins a slugfest. This should be a spectacular game worthy of the monday night slot.

tOSU will lose because they can't score late with a rookie QB needing to lead the game winning drive.

I see it 27-20 type of game.

lol i dont bet with my heart....hence the reason i'm on the under and not the bucks.

u wont find me placing my hard earned money on homer picks. def not

grump comes in..

:smiley_acbe:

I think OSU can win outright, but wtf do I know..I keep getting burned by the big ten.

Big 10 needs this game bad

otherwise PSU is gonna go undefeated next year and need no other undefeated teams and only one one loss BCS team in order to play for the title...two one loss teams will play for the BCS title over an undefeated big 10 team if OSU keeps fucking this shit up

Big 10 needs this game bad

otherwise PSU is gonna go undefeated next year and need no other undefeated teams and only one one loss BCS team in order to play for the title...two one loss teams will play for the BCS title over an undefeated big 10 team if OSU keeps fucking this shit up

Usually, yeah. But PSU fucked it up themselves this year...right?

I think so

quick takes didnt follow OSU much this year but saw texas play--

OSU is improved with this new qb kid Tom Pryor. I heard he is fast and can run and is athletic.

I can tell everyone this- TEXAS is very very overrated- in fact I think MCKOY is an average qb- Texas beat no one good this year except for Oklahoma-
Mizzous is complete trash- Ok state got handled by OREgon-

BIg 10 does stink also, but they stink when they play USC with receivers that are 9 foot 3 inches tall and run slants all day. BIG 10 is not athletic vs the pass, but stops the run.

TEXAS really is a joke, MCKOY is overrated, they would score less than 10 vs USC also.

IN reality both teams are not very good tonight, Ohio state has the motivation for sure, Texas has the motivation to probably just win the game late-

Texas lost to Texas tech out of all teams, a real good team like Florida and USc would never lose to panzy texas tech-

I really think texas is overrated bigtime- their schedule was a joke playing some really bad teams like rice, florida atlantic.

Sure if Texas was super motivated they may be able to win and cover, but honestly this team is pretty average-

MCKOY is not a good qb, he runs most of the time, and is not a good passer when is not running out of the pocket-
Now Bradford there is a QB that can throw the ball.

Take it for what its worth I see Texas mailing it in for a while and then winning it late by a few points. They will be down at halftme and at then end of 1st qtr

Back