Good Read on Todd Marinovich

Can not wait to read this

I was A1A on putting this guy down before I understood addiction, the life, etc...he was the poster child. Now taking it from a completely different perspective.

Thanks take

This is insane, wonder why he had no chance at success?

Not done but the sexism is unbelievable.

I can't paint this father as a piece of shit not knowing him, but what a piece of shit

Wow, the escape was real and the addiction make a million times sense. Father with bad intentions and going on ALS is a ton to comprehend. Put yourself in Todd's shoes, he likely doesn't have a clue the who/what/when/why/where. Man that's a brutal read. Hope they find peace somehow, not easy.

Weed gateway drug for 40 year old man, then speed, then heroin, haha

Weed wasnt the problem,

Who the hell smokes weed and takes speed? Haha

Weed gateway drug for 40 year old man, then speed, then heroin, haha

Weed wasnt the problem,

Who the hell smokes weed and takes speed? Haha

Unfortunately for a lot of addicts, they get clean and try and just go back to weed and it eventually leads to other things. This is not ever case at all, but it is many. I have seen it with my own eyes, and it is sad.

I want to move back to Socal!

Todd walks along a street in Costa Mesa in the summer of 2018, just another dude in a Golden State Warriors shirt, vaping nicotine and looking for a Starbucks.

LOL

Unfortunately for a lot of addicts, they get clean and try and just go back to weed and it eventually leads to other things. This is not ever case at all, but it is many. I have seen it with my own eyes, and it is sad.

I hear you and that is sad.

Addiction is strange but it ain't the weeds fault.

An addict is going go addict.

x a million

I so pro weed but if you can't see the gateway you've lost the plot. It is real. It exists. And I don't think it should be regulated. But it's a thing.

The angry pot guy who dismisses it sets the story back. Awful people who can't accept it.

wondering if the gateway aspect to pot goes down some with legalization. In the old days it was the shady kids and young dudes who had the stuff which is why I think so many get caught up in the worse items. Maybe for the next few generations the gateway aspect goes down because you are less forced to deal with shady people to get your weed. Now, I realize that weed was pretty easy to get anyway the last decade plus ... and pretty common for sure ... but just wondering if the associations that lead to the harsher drugs goes away some and thus so do progressions.

An addict will use anything for a gateway.

Exactly. Weed as a gateway drug has been debunked for well over a decade by any reputable source. Just a quick google search will lead to studies/research/conclusions from countless operations saying it’s a myth.

Unless we’re cool with saying milk is a gateway to alcohol. Then I guess it is.

Exactly. Weed as a gateway drug has been debunked for well over a decade by any reputable source. Just a quick google search will lead to studies/research/conclusions from countless operations saying it’s a myth.

Unless we’re cool with saying milk is a gateway to alcohol. Then I guess it is.

Milk logic is beyond poor. You are better than that.

Milk logic is beyond poor. You are better than that.

Lol, I know it is. It's just a bit more illogical than the marijuana theory. If anything, alcohol and tobacco are more "gateway" than marijuana. Science has proven this time and again. Seriously, do a google search and find me any reputable outfit that still claims marijuana is a gateway drug. There are a laundry list of scientifically backed studies proving that it isn't, and it's been covered by countless media outlets (Psychology today, TIME, NY Times, VICE, MIT.edu, Washington Post, Newsweek, drugpolicy.org, thehill.com, independent.uk, the Drug Policy Research Center, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, etc, etc).

Last edited:
Weed as a gateway drug is real. Now to me, BFD. But when the stoner losers make it a deal, they're idiocy shows how slow the brain is on weed. That's such a loser take, get over it and understand your position.

Do you like common sense or just arguing? Idiots. Let it go

Weed as a gateway drug is real. Now to me, BFD. But when the stoner losers make it a deal, they're idiocy shows how slow the brain is on weed. That's such a loser take, get over it and understand your position.

Do you like common sense or just arguing? Idiots. Let it go

Science and studies have "made it a deal." There isn't much arguing to be had, the science has spoken, time and again. Common sense would say to listen to the science, just like we do in any other aspect of our lives.

Try and take a joint away from a guy at a peace rally sometime.

Tobacco and alcohol are super addictive, ninja.

I have no desire to have this debate again. You can convince me the loser comes before the weed or you can convince me that the weed comes before the loser. But there is a strong correlation between marijuana use and losers. Good luck convincing me it isn't one or the other or a combination of both, though.

That doesn't mean it doesn't help some people. Or that others it has minimal impact one way or the other. But you just need to look at every commonly held life indicator and how it correlates to marijuana to see what is going on.

I am for it being legal .. heroin? legalize it. Crack? legalize it. Alcohol? keep it legal. Pot? keep it legal. Tobacco? keep it legal.

I also am against sin tax.

Anyway, I am out of this particular conversation right now.

Try and take a joint away from a guy at a peace rally sometime.

Tobacco and alcohol are super addictive, ninja.

I have no desire to have this debate again. You can convince me the loser comes before the weed or you can convince me that the weed comes before the loser. But there is a strong correlation between marijuana use and losers. Good luck convincing me it isn't one or the other or a combination of both, though.

That doesn't mean it doesn't help some people. Or that others it has minimal impact one way or the other. But you just need to look at every commonly held life indicator and how it correlates to marijuana to see what is going on.

I am for it being legal .. heroin? legalize it. Crack? legalize it. Alcohol? keep it legal. Pot? keep it legal. Tobacco? keep it legal.

I also am against sin tax.

Anyway, I am out of this particular conversation right now.

I agree about legalizing it all.

Correlation doesn’t equal causation, and I know you know that. It’s not me taking this position, it’s the science and studies. I know you’re not making it personal, just wanted to point that out.

I agree about legalizing it all.

Correlation doesn’t equal causation, and I know you know that. It’s not me taking this position, it’s the science and studies. I know you’re not making it personal, just wanted to point that out.

Something is causing the correlation. What do you propose it is?

Would seem to me it is one of three things most likely...

1. Pot has an effect on people that causes the problems
2. People predisposed to making VERY bad decisions (losers) are also the most likely to smoke pot
3. The culture around the use of pot causes the problems

When the correlation is as blatantly strong as regular pot use is to life outcomes, it cannot be ignored.

But I want everyone who wants to use it, to be able to and I make no individual judgments about a specific person for using. I know plenty of people smarter and more successful, in both career and family, than I am that use regularly. I don't make a moral judgment based on use of it is what I am trying to say.

Something is causing the correlation. What do you propose it is?

Would seem to me it is one of three things most likely...

1. Pot has an effect on people that causes the problems
2. People predisposed to making VERY bad decisions (losers) are also the most likely to smoke pot
3. The culture around the use of pot causes the problems

When the correlation is as blatantly strong as regular pot use is to life outcomes, it cannot be ignored.

But I want everyone who wants to use it, to be able to and I make no individual judgments about a specific person for using. I know plenty of people smarter and more successful, in both career and family, than I am that use regularly. I don't make a moral judgment based on use of it is what I am trying to say.

If I had to pick one, I would say #2. Because, again, alcohol and tobacco have been proven to be more “gateway” than pot, and I wouldn’t consider either of them “gateway drugs.” It’s all about the person.

If I had to pick one, I would say #2. Because, again, alcohol and tobacco have been proven to be more “gateway” than pot, and I wouldn’t consider either of them “gateway drugs.” It’s all about the person.

i think it is a combination of all three, myself, though I think #1 is by far the least influential.

i think it is a combination of all three, myself, though I think #1 is by far the least influential.

I would imagine you’d think that was the least influential, given that you just said you know plenty of successful people who use it regularly. It wouldn’t be possible for so many people to smoke pot and be successful (and there are millions of people doing so) if it was as bad as some still try to make it out to be.

I would imagine you’d think that was the least influential, given that you just said you know plenty of successful people who use it regularly. It wouldn’t be possible for so many people to smoke pot and be successful (and there are millions of people doing so) if it was as bad as some still try to make it out to be.

I don't have kids. But if I did have kids, I would do everything in my power to prevent them from getting into pot .. which probably means they go crazy in college. My point, however, is that i wouldn't want my kids doing it.

Anyway, kind of derailed the thread which was a good post and story.

I remember the chiefs-chiefs combo as a raider fan and Marinovich.

But back to Marinovich. If, and it’s obviously a big IF, he didn’t have the demons he did...how successful would he have been as an NFL QB. Or is that something not even worth exploring because it’s impossible to know?

I don't have kids. But if I did have kids, I would do everything in my power to prevent them from getting into pot .. which probably means they go crazy in college. My point, however, is that i wouldn't want my kids doing it.

Anyway, kind of derailed the thread which was a good post and story.

I remember the chiefs-chiefs combo as a raider fan and Marinovich.

I would much rather my kids smoke pot than drink alcohol when they get to that age.

It's an interesting question RE Marinovich and would he have been good. You have to wonder if without the proximate cause of his demons, he doesn't even play D1 QB so hard to know. Seems his success as a player and his demons were married through his Dad.

It's an interesting question RE Marinovich and would he have been good. You have to wonder if without the proximate cause of his demons, he doesn't even play D1 QB so hard to know. Seems his success as a player and his demons were married through his Dad.

Yep. And maybe that’s why it’s not even a question worth asking or talking about.

as someone who has a young daughter now in sports I’ve seen The complete 180 to where they don’t even keep score in games anymore . Fortunately, my daughter is competitive and understands that some people win and some people lose in life

I understand that youth sports especially really young are supposed to be about having fun, but winning is fun , don’t understand why we have gotten away from that

as someone who has a young daughter now in sports I’ve seen The complete 180 to where they don’t even keep score in games anymore . Fortunately, my daughter is competitive and understands that some people win and some people lose in life

Good thing you win, what happens when her father figure is a loser? Does she go insane? Channel it and dominate?

I hate this as I feel child development is more important than anything else in life. Of course I expect you've got it under control but hope you appreciate that. It's not common.

Good thing you win, what happens when her father figure is a loser? Does she go insane? Channel it and dominate?

I hate this as I feel child development is more important than anything else in life. Of course I expect you've got it under control but hope you appreciate that. It's not common.

There are plenty of people who have terrible father figures , or don’t even grow up with fathers that do just fine . Professional sports are full of these people

Look his dad was a piece of shit no doubt , he had it extremely tough I understand . I know for a fact there is a large portion of the rehab industry that allows the addict to blame everyone but themselves for a very long time . There is a personal responsibility to some of this

I hope Todd makes it , and finds the right people to help him

There are plenty of people who have terrible father figures , or don’t even grow up with fathers that do just fine . Professional sports are full of these people

Look his dad was a piece of shit no doubt , he had it extremely tough I understand . I know for a fact there is a large portion of the rehab industry that allows the addict to blame everyone but themselves for a very long time . There is a personal responsibility to some of this

I hope Todd makes it , and finds the right people to help him

LOL my father is Yag and lives with a trans...wanna play ball?

This situation is extremely fascinating, I'm sure you understand

Kj , I don’t even know what you mean with wanna play ball.

Anyways , I remember having to go to AA many years ago( ordered by the courts). It definitely felt cultish to me , but one thing I did respect is all those people took
Personal responsibility for the situation they were in

The rehab industry has become big business , so I certainly question their motives at time

Back