Give me your Top 5 QBs in the NFL

• Thread starter Thread starter Gyno
  • Start date Start date
Oh, you certainly can develop an opinion on someone with an eye test. That doesn't mean the opinion is correct. And when there are so many facts and stats that say the complete opposite of your "eye test opinion," it's kind of hard to rely on that eye test isn't it?

that's asinine

just because someone's opinion isn't shared by you doesn't make it incorrect. it's a fucking opinion for a reason.

your need for someone to share your opinion is bizarre

stats would never be the sole basis for forming my top 5 qbs

that's asinine

just because someone's opinion isn't shared by you doesn't make it incorrect. it's a fucking opinion for a reason.

your need for someone to share your opinion is bizarre

It has nothing to do with being shared by me. I simply gave stats and facts.

Your need to continually "attack" me in threads is bizarre. Nothing I've said in this thread about Romo has included "my opinion." I gave the stats and facts. You're clearly confused as to what my opinion is.

comeback wins are one of the least important stats in my book because it's often poor decision making by said qb for a good part of the game that requires a comeback in the first place

i've said it here plenty of times, jake plummer was a great comeback QB, all because he sucked for 58 minutes of the game

Am I on an island here? At least someone has to agree that Romo flops at the worst possible times, and it's not easily detectable in a box score?
I can't quantify it, but it seems like he slows down with his decision making in important spots (ie. holds onto the ball too long and takes a sack, doesn't read the coverage properly). I think he's been a competent QB (a modern day Danny White), but how anyone can argue he hasn't made some huge blunders over the years is beyond me.

comeback wins are one of the least important stats in my book because it's often poor decision making by said qb for a good part of the game that requires a comeback in the first place

i've said it here plenty of times, jake plummer was a great comeback QB, all because he sucked for 58 minutes of the game

No one said otherwise kj. The argument was whether Romo is a choke-artist or not, it wasn't the importance of comeback wins. In the discussion about Romo being a choke-artist, it was proven with stats and facts that he is anything but. Nothing else needed to be taken from the discussion.

In the spirit of the thread, and beyond it, would you include Romo in your top 5 to win a game tonight, and/or would you include him as a top 5 QB trying to win Super Bowls for the next three years? No way, either case. Guy has a resume of high profile flops

I can't quantify it, but it seems like he slows down with his decision making in important spots (ie. holds onto the ball too long and takes a sack, doesn't read the coverage properly). I think he's been a competent QB (a modern day Danny White), but how anyone can argue he hasn't made some huge blunders over the years is beyond me.

He's made some blunders, yes, but nowhere near the amount that would get him labeled as a "choke artist."

nothing has been proven about his choking or non-choking

your concept of choking is different than mine. tony romo has failed at a remarkable pace over the years to lead some very talented teams (not all of them) to one playoff victory and that trumps any stat you can dig up

In the spirit of the thread, and beyond it, would you include Romo in your top 5 to win a game tonight, and/or would you include him as a top 5 QB trying to win Super Bowls for the next three years? No way, either case. Guy has a resume of high profile flops

Romo would either be in my Top 5, or would be 6th.

My top 5 are: Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Manning, and either Luck or Romo. In no particular order either.

nothing has been proven about his choking or non-choking

your concept of choking is different than mine. tony romo has failed at a remarkable pace over the years to lead some very talented teams (not all of them) to one playoff victory and that trumps any stat you can dig up

But in this discussion we were simply talking about 4th quarters. And then, more specifically, "de facto playoff" games.

The thread title says nothing about 4th quarters or de facto playoff games

The Romo part of the thread. I was literally just editing my post because I knew this would be your response.

In the discussion about Romo is what I should have said, Wade Jr.

this doesn't say "who are your top 5 fantasy QBs"

hell alex smith does a hell of a lot more for me as a GM than romo right now other than sell tickets and merchandise

this doesn't say "who are your top 5 fantasy QBs"

hell alex smith does a hell of a lot more for me as a GM than romo right now other than sell tickets and merchandise

Do you have Alex Smith in your current top 5 NFL QBs?

Lareux, you would know the answer to this: who was the Bills 3rd stringer that got subbed in one game, then admitted after the game that he didn't know the playbook, because he hadn't been studying it. Was that Van Pelt? Bringing up Cabo made me think of that...

Lareux, you would know the answer to this: who was the Bills 3rd stringer that got subbed in one game, then admitted after the game that he didn't know the playbook, because he hadn't been studying it. Was that Van Pelt? Bringing up Cabo made me think of that...

Billy Jo Hobert I believe. I'm gonna look it up to make sure.

Do you have Alex Smith in your current top 5 NFL QBs?

no, neither do i have romo

I listed my top 5 (various reasons but either proof of winning or in Luck's case a long future of what I perceive will be winning)

believe me it took forever for me to include peyton manning due to his historical failures all the way back to tennessee but he at least has shown he could accomplish "something" other than putting up arcade-like numbers

Lareux's just a Romo defender, not crazy enough to go top 5. Top 6 in the thread title, we'd probably be on.

no, neither do i have romo

I listed my top 5 (various reasons but either proof of winning or in Luck's case a long future of what I perceive will be winning)

believe me it took forever for me to include peyton manning due to his historical failures all the way back to florida but he at least has shown he could accomplish "something" other than putting up arcade-like numbers

:shake:

Agree with you about Peyton 100%.

I will definitely bump this thread when Romo throws next 4Q pick. See you guys Sunday.

Lareux's just a Romo defender, not crazy enough to go top 5. Top 6 in the thread title, we'd probably be on.

I'm not a Romo defender though Tip. I would have defended anyone in the discussion if the stats and facts pointed out the absurdity of him being a choke artist. If that makes any sense...basically, I'm not a Tony Romo fan by any stretch. I just know that he gets a bad rap for no good reason.

I will definitely bump this thread when Romo throws next 4Q pick. See you guys Sunday.

Bump it later tonight for his 4th quarter comeback victory that he just had on Sunday. Since the discussion started after he just added another notch on his comeback belt.

He may get TOO much grief, but not for no reason. I was in Texas last week, a cultural snapshot almost as dead on as my memory. They don't trust him.

Bump it later tonight for his 4th quarter comeback victory that he just had on Sunday. Since the discussion started after he just added another notch on his comeback belt.

November home "comeback" against Minny. 1/2 point.

what's it worth when he's so awful in that late december game that it's over by halftime?

didn't that happen not long ago in a play in game?

Side comment. I'm as guilty as the rest, but give me the very best lines (I realize that's 8-10 starters), I'll win with Blaine Gabbert.

kind of a loaded question with the topic but if you are asking me today, who i would want on my team for the rest of this season, i would say.

1. Peyton
2. Rodgers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Luck
probably Ryan and Wilson just miss cut.

now you can argue future or what they did in past but this is simply today assuming they have full health and their supporting cast is basically equal.

so what i gather from everyone's posts

the "best quarterbacks" are those that win the most big games/most playoff games/most rings?

not necessarily but they must do that to be in the discussion for me

some not so great QBs in my opinion have won rings but the really good ones need to succeed at different levels including leading playoff runs

He's OK. KC also got healthier, changed coaches, soft schedule so far, keep playing back-up QBs. They've been extremely fortunate. And let's give about 70% credit to the defense.

Half the league has played against back up qbs. Facts are the team had the worst record without him, now they have the best.

kind of a loaded question with the topic but if you are asking me today, who i would want on my team for the rest of this season, i would say.

1. Peyton
2. Rodgers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Luck
probably Ryan and Wilson just miss cut.

now you can argue future or what they did in past but this is simply today assuming they have full health and their supporting cast is basically equal.

LOL Matt Ryan, really? Stafford is > Ryan But Eli and everything he has accomplished is allowed to have a down year. Historically, his numbers will be ranked with the best of our era.

Saw the top 5 qb discussion going on from the main page. Saw craw was the last to post. Made the line -1050 Eli was mentioned in the post. I did not leave disappointed

Saw the top 5 qb discussion going on from the main page. Saw craw was the last to post. Made the line -1050 Eli was mentioned in the post. I did not leave disappointed

Free cash my dude.:shake: I'll be first to say he's not top 5 this year, not even top 15. But for this decade, certainly.

I was out of the conversation but I need to come back because of Eli's name being added in. Just wanted to use actual facts to help support the argument. Per football outsiders, Eli has NEVER finished in the top 5 in DYAR or DVOA. His highest DYAR ranking ever was 8 and DVOA 9. I mean these only analyze every snap and every throw, but I am sure there is some other way he can get in the top 5.

Romo on the other hand? Just for fun. Top 4 twice in DYAR and top 6 three times in DVOA.

Just a "stat nerd" or hater here, but facts are facts. But then again. He did drop a snap on a FG that time.

I was out of the conversation but I need to come back because of Eli's name being added in. Just wanted to use actual facts to help support the argument. Per football outsiders, Eli has NEVER finished in the top 5 in DYAR or DVOA. His highest DYAR ranking ever was 8 and DVOA 9. I mean these only analyze every snap and every throw, but I am sure there is some other way he can get in the top 5.

Romo on the other hand? Just for fun. Top 4 twice in DYAR and top 6 three times in DVOA.

Just a "stat nerd" or hater here, but facts are facts. But then again. He did drop a snap on a FG that time.

Post the big wins.

and the eye test should never be the sole basis either
should be a few things...multiple

Romo is a good QB...hard to dispute

He has had some very bad recent and not so recent moments at crucial times

Really at the end of the day what is the difference between him and Stafford(save injuries)?

You gotta win em though..the big ones....I think both will eventually

Problem is they play against some winning QBs......for now

tony-romo-football-headshot-photo.jpg

Back