Friday Discussion Thread

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 12 Fri 2024

Last edited:
Two games already interested in others thoughts. LAD/Tigers and OAK/Phillies.
Does Suarez gets his stuff together and can tye Dodgers who are dogs lost 4 straight. Now as a dog 4 straight games as ell

I honestly don't like anything today for NRFI, and feel like I'm forcing things.

SEA/LAA - Tyler Anderson can give up runs in the first, Woo's first game back from injury, Mariners offense slightly waking up.

ATL/SD - Schwellenbach perfect in the first inning in 7 starts, Randy Vasquez for the Padres has been great at home but has broken a few times in the first. Kinda scared to bet against ATL in these spots too.

I honestly don't like anything today for NRFI, and feel like I'm forcing things.

SEA/LAA - Tyler Anderson can give up runs in the first, Woo's first game back from injury, Mariners offense slightly waking up.

ATL/SD - Schwellenbach perfect in the first inning in 7 starts, Randy Vasquez for the Padres has been great at home but has broken a few times in the first. Kinda scared to bet against ATL in these spots too.
Weekend before ASG tough to cap.

A lot of these guys have their eyes on the vacation tbh.

Suarez certainly not setting the world on fire last 2 starts. H. Harris serviceable over 5 inn. may get a focus boost from the birth of his newborn son. Oak the kind of team that sneaks up on you when you're not looking. Taking a stab at the price.

0.6 u Oak FF +210
0.4 u Oak FF +1/2 +155
Good value,

Suarez certainly not setting the world on fire last 2 starts. H. Harris serviceable over 5 inn. may get a focus boost from the birth of his newborn son. Oak the kind of team that sneaks up on you when you're not looking. Taking a stab at the price.

0.6 u Oak FF +210
0.4 u Oak FF +1/2 +155
Tigers 7-8-9 started this down swing for Suarez.

Perfect letdown game too.

Wholeheartedly agree, the long 162 game season catches up with guys mid season when it gets hot, luckily i had most of the motivated teams last night while night before they didnt show up. Do more dogs win tonight? Guess We'll see later but I'm big on the Cards against Kyle "broken back" Hendricks and upstart Cubs (can he last past the 4th inning? i know that's a prop on outs may be worth a shot), pounded the Space City Astros in the showdown in the heart of Texas and over, expect a shoot out at the OK Corral again, Reds look easy tonight as do Guardians and Mets. Dodgers I think will get to Skubal tonight, i'm thinking Det Offense comes back to earth tonight---and Tigers lineup is awful against Lefties this year (15 combined homers,compared to 34 by LAD off Lefties), and had to hit my Yankees and over despite their recent woes. Orioles Povich pitches like Maury Povich. I asked my buddy down in Norfolk- another ecu guy who watches the Norfolk Tides team and was a former advanced scout years ago and as he's cousins with Connor Norby an ecu grad who is their next standout..I asked the deal about Povich after the Oakland start and he said he is only up cause of a lot of injuries, he wasn't projected to make it til 2026 if ever. Prob will be optioned back to Norfolk soon. Also his metrics on his curve sucks, it has the lowest movement top to bottom of any guy in their whole farm system to majors. thats why guys are teeing off on him, and he has little command of his pitches, and low confidence (bad recipe for a young pitcher).

and get this—Povichs' stats in the minors are abysmal. In 81.1 innings of work on the hill in 2023, he boasted a 6-7 record with a 4.87 ERA. in 2024 it gets worse. 1-3, 6.51 ERA, in 27 IP, with a 1.48 WHIP. Ouch. His troubles in the minor only foretold what would happen in the majors, these guys are in the in MLB for a reason. And call me naive but I think the Jays stay hot tonight, with a young stud rookie who has been lights out, and an offense that is putting up numbers towards the end of the road trip, going against a snakes pitcher who's been downright bad at home, 3-3- with a 6.69 ERA, with hitters hitting .349 on him in the desert, combined with his night time splits of 3-4 and 5.56, i had to hit the over in this one too, with both offenses clicking.. That's a few of my random thoughts, sorry the long winded analysis. Good luck.

Wholeheartedly agree, the long 162 game season catches up with guys mid season when it gets hot, luckily i had most of the motivated teams last night while night before they didnt show up. Do more dogs win tonight? Guess We'll see later but I'm big on the Cards against Kyle "broken back" Hendricks and upstart Cubs (can he last past the 4th inning? i know that's a prop on outs may be worth a shot), pounded the Space City Astros in the showdown in the heart of Texas and over, expect a shoot out at the OK Corral again, Reds look easy tonight as do Guardians and Mets. Dodgers I think will get to Skubal tonight, i'm thinking Det Offense comes back to earth tonight---and Tigers lineup is awful against Lefties this year (15 combined homers,compared to 34 by LAD off Lefties), and had to hit my Yankees and over despite their recent woes. Orioles Povich pitches like Maury Povich. I asked my buddy down in Norfolk- another ecu guy who watches the Norfolk Tides team and was a former advanced scout years ago and as he's cousins with Connor Norby an ecu grad who is their next standout..I asked the deal about Povich after the Oakland start and he said he is only up cause of a lot of injuries, he wasn't projected to make it til 2026 if ever. Prob will be optioned back to Norfolk soon. Also his metrics on his curve sucks, it has the lowest movement top to bottom of any guy in their whole farm system to majors. thats why guys are teeing off on him, and he has little command of his pitches, and low confidence (bad recipe for a young pitcher).

and get this—Povichs' stats in the minors are abysmal. In 81.1 innings of work on the hill in 2023, he boasted a 6-7 record with a 4.87 ERA. in 2024 it gets worse. 1-3, 6.51 ERA, in 27 IP, with a 1.48 WHIP. Ouch. His troubles in the minor only foretold what would happen in the majors, these guys are in the in MLB for a reason. And call me naive but I think the Jays stay hot tonight, with a young stud rookie who has been lights out, and an offense that is putting up numbers towards the end of the road trip, going against a snakes pitcher who's been downright bad at home, 3-3- with a 6.69 ERA, with hitters hitting .349 on him in the desert, combined with his night time splits of 3-4 and 5.56, i had to hit the over in this one too, with both offenses clicking.. That's a few of my random thoughts, sorry the long winded analysis. Good luck.
Good post

yep, the series before asb then the week or so after can be a total pain in the ass. more about finding teams who still engaged vs ones that maybe a little checked out mentally, shit tough to do. i'm not huge on playing lot of favs but this weekend prob be a time i'd look at teams who coming in hot.

don't be sorry, more post like this the better.

my fucjing car blew a head gasket today (the hits just keep coming! lol), have lot of crap going on so doubt i'm gonna make it across the river, havnt really even had a chance to look at card. i'll prob take the night off and focus on saturdays card.

hendricks has owned cards over the years. lifetime he 13-4 with a 2,60ish era vs cards. he has shut these guys down so many times over the years, they just can't hit him! cards laying -190 is crazy imo. sonny gray has been incredible at busch with a sub 2 era this year but still think hendricks history vs cards and way cubs playing right now they absolutely worth a bet at this price! +175 is craziness! i'd look at ff under 4.5 also.

not gonna cap the entire card since i don't think im gonna have a chance to bet, just thought i'd point out the incredibly obvious with cubs at that number. i might try to get a ride or see if anyone i know gonna be in illinios to get me down a bit on scrubbies!

hendricks has owned cards over the years. lifetime he 13-4 with a 2,60ish era vs cards. he has shut these guys down so many times over the years, they just can't hit him! cards laying -190 is crazy imo. sonny gray has been incredible at busch with a sub 2 era this year but still think hendricks history vs cards and way cubs playing right now they absolutely worth a bet at this price! +175 is craziness! i'd look at ff under 4.5 also.

He seems capable of a good start here and there but otherwise has been a horrific gas can.

He seems capable of a good start here and there but otherwise has been a horrific gas can.

oh he sucks, i never been a fan i just know he has been a nightmare for cards to hit. even this year he went 4.1 and only allowed 2 hits vs them. i guess it just a matter of how long he can go, just don't be surprised if he puts up a bunch of 0's while he in the game.

I used to like Hendricks bc of his command, he doesnt overpower but was more like a professor or mini Maddux a while back. Now he's a gas can with a fuse lit, probably due to his bad back, which is causing shorter starts. That stiffness doesnt go away and its affecting what he can do. Now watch him go in with some greenies amped up and throw a No-no tonight, then he'll go on IL. HA!

Also holding my nose and betting another under. Pitt/Chic looks like it with 2 of the lowest scoring MLB teams (pitt is 21st, CHW is 30th), and CHW throwing one of their best young pitchers Crochet, and the umpire being Alex Mackay a pitcher friendly leaning umpire, the recipe adds up to an under in that one.

I used to like Hendricks bc of his command, he doesnt overpower but was more like a professor or mini Maddux a while back. Now he's a gas can with a fuse lit, probably due to his bad back, which is causing shorter starts. That stiffness doesnt go away and its affecting what he can do. Now watch him go in with some greenies amped up and throw a No-no tonight, then he'll go on IL. HA!

Also holding my nose and betting another under. Pitt/Chic looks like it with 2 of the lowest scoring MLB teams (pitt is 21st, CHW is 30th), and CHW throwing one of their best young pitchers Crochet, and the umpire being Alex Mackay a pitcher friendly leaning umpire, the recipe adds up to an under in that one.

yea i dunno how long he able to go but while he in i doubt cards offense does much, they always been vulnerable to junk and they quick to hit his boarder line pitches that turn into quick outs!

if hendricks is even remotely himself cards will be rolling over all night, his pitch count tends to stay pretty low while he dominating these guys!

if hendricks is even remotely himself cards will be rolling over all night, his pitch count tends to stay pretty low while he dominating these guys!
Just pounded the twins over now after a bet on the twins ML earlier. Was waiting on the umpire news as I has the over as a lean but with Todd Tichenor it's time to pull the trigger. And the matchup calls for it with Giants Pitcher Harrison who has given up 4 runs in 4 of his last 5 starts. The twins have an explosive offense ranked 4th on 5 runs per game. The twins RAKE agains lefties, with #1 in MLB OPS of .802 and 30 home runs. The over is 4-1 last 5 in Ryan's starts so his guys give him good run production and with a 20 mph Golden Gate to Bay wind pushing balls out to center

Just pounded the twins over now after a bet on the twins ML earlier. Was waiting on the umpire news as I has the over as a lean but with Todd Tichenor it's time to pull the trigger. And the matchup calls for it with Giants Pitcher Harrison who has given up 4 runs in 4 of his last 5 starts. The twins have an explosive offense ranked 4th on 5 runs per game. The twins RAKE agains lefties, with #1 in MLB OPS of .802 and 30 home runs. The over is 4-1 last 5 in Ryan's starts so his guys give him good run production and with a 20 mph Golden Gate to Bay wind pushing balls out to center

i'd prob keep riding the buxton ov 1.5 h,r,rbi, surprised he only -110 for over. he has cashed every game he played this month and 14 of last 15 i think.

Y Rod averaging 1.0 SO per inn. 2024. Strikeouts with Eddings behind the plate slightly above the league average. If Y Rod hits his average and goes 5, ov 4 1/2 SO +125 cashes at a decent price. Good enough for my money.

Last edited:

0.6 u Oak FF +210
0.4 u Oak FF +1/2 +155
very nice read

0.6 u Oak FF +210
0.4 u Oak FF +1/2 +155

nice call, off the lad sweep big jacked up price also, nice play!

so far hendricks doing what he always does vs cards. he be a hof'er if he could face cards 10-15 times a year! lol

did Cole look like vintage Cole or was that somewhat a product of o's all a sudden struggling at the plate?

no way i woulda pitched to Ohtani-son in that spot! 1st and 3rd 2 outs in a tie game in 9th. i'm walking his ass and taking my chances with anyone else!

so far hendricks doing what he always does vs cards. he be a hof'er if he could face cards 10-15 times a year! lol
Guy has had an unbelievable career, and is the last of the “pitcher” generation. It hasn’t just been vs the Cards :)

kyle’s been pretty much done since 2020. There’s a reason why he was the game 7 starter in the world series.

Whew, Dodgers come back and reds hang on, all while Mets give up 4 in the 8th to choke the RL away. HA! Now i gotta sweat my yankees out, stuck on 3 runs since early innnings, and just missed a homer leading off the 9th for the TT.

Back