ESPN Handicapper's Picks--Week 3

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
ESPN Pickers:
Stanford Steve— 1-3 (3-6) 2020-21 Total (71-56)

(Best Bet 0-2)
Rutgers -17x
UTSA +12x
BYU/Oregon u 58
Utah -21
Kansas +9x Best Bet

Scott Van Pelt—4-4 (8-6) 2020-21 Total (99-77)

Louisville +3
Nebraska +11
Syracuse -1x
So Alabama +15x
Ga Tech +16x
Oregon -3
Washington -3
W. Michigan +10

The Bear—1-2 (4-3-1) 2020-21 Total (61-65)
(Bank Picks 4-2)

N Dame -10x
Oregon -3x
Iowa -23
Louisville +2x
Colorado St +17
Tulane +14
Syracuse -1

Greg McElroy— 2-1 (4-2) 2021 (22-17)
Nebraska +11
Washington -3x
UTSA +12x

Gameday Super Dog Picks, Season Record
Lee— lose (1-1) 2021 Season 10-3-1
Desmond—lose (0-2) 2021 Season 9-5
Kirk——win (2-0) 2021 Season 9-4-1
Reece——lose (1-1) 2021 Season 9-5
David——win (2-0) 2021 Season 8-6

Other Pickers:
Phil Steele—3-3 (6-7 ) 2020-21 Total (78-87)

E Mich +20x
Pitt -10
Iowa -23
UMass +2x
UAB -11x
Ball State -22

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— 3-2 (3-2) 2020-21 Total (66-77)
Lions -1x
Patriots -2x
Saints +2x
Packers -9x
Eagles -1x

My Picks—3-4 (4-6) 2020-21 Total (108-65)
Fresno St +12x
Kansas +9x
Texas Tech +10x
Oklahoma -10x
Georgia -25
Miss St -2x
Lean UTSA +12, Minnesota , Miss State, Wake/Liberty over.
I'm not putting in the time I usually do. I put working out and practicing number number one and had a hard time doing any handicapping. I spent zero time in week one, but watching those first week games got me fired up and I'm going to put in more work this week. Still going to hold bets to a fraction till I figure out what's going on.
Lean to Louisville. Waiting to hear 2daBank's opinion on that one.

ESPN D-League Pickers:
Tyler Fulghum—1-2 (3-2) 2021 (17-15)

Minnesota -27x
USC -7x fh
Georgia/S Carolina u 55

Joe Fortenbaugh—2-1 (4-2) 2021 (25-33)
Fresno +12
WKY +6x
Iowa St/Ohio u 49x

Doug Kezirian—2-1 (2-4) 2021 (22-28)
Bama 1st half -31
UConn +47x
Air Force -16

Pamela Maldonado—2-3 (3-7) 2021 (17-23)
South Alabama +16
Kansas +8½
Miami +6
Miami-Texas A&M U44½
Minnesota -27½

ML Dog Pickers:
Zac Al-Khateeb—(2-1) (1-5) 2021 (17-23)

BYU
Cal
Miami

Bill Trocci—(0-3) (0-6) 2021 (16-23)
BYU
Michigan State
Vandy

Mike DeCourcy—(2-1) (2-4) 2021 (15-24)
LSU
Auburn
WKY

Bill Bender—(1-2) (3-3) 2021 (9-30)
LSU
Michigan St
Miami

Last edited:
What about it, 2daBank. Florida St at Louisville. I expected The Ville to make a big jump this year and be peaking for this game, but their results don't show it. Florida State looked in week one like I expected them to look when Norvill took over

How do you see it?

Bet the Board selection - Nebraska +11.5 (sounded as if they liked them @ over +10)

They are 0-2 for year.

Here's the podcast. I like to listen to what they have to say

What about it, 2daBank. Florida St at Louisville. I expected The Ville to make a big jump this year and be peaking for this game, but their results don't show it. Florida State looked in week one like I expected them to look when Norvill took over

How do you see it?
Here's his post from another thread. @2daBank

I think ya gotta like fsu Friday night! I just think they the better coached team of the 2. Cunningham is more dynamic but I rather have the Travis I have seen this year playing qb for me. Ville offense has still yet to impress, only scoring 20 on ucf and not doing much of anything after their 1st drive for a very long stretch of that game, very similar to what happened at cuse the week before except cuse made them pay for it and blew them out. I think fsu will be much more similar to cuse and knock ville out the game while their offense sputters for long stretches! Noles rush attack should have way more success than they had vs lsu and I totally trust Travis to make the plays they need to keep chains moving and to execute Norvell game plan which I suspect will be better than Satterfiekd who’s offense looks lost after the 15 or so scripted plays! Let’s see if I can go 3 for 3 playing ville sides!!

Clay Travis.
Week #1 9-2
Week #2 4-7

FloridaSt -2.5
South Carolina +24.5
Cal +10.5
UNDER 47.5 PSU/Auburn
UNDER 45.5 Miami/A&M
Akron +47.5
USF +24.5
ODU "plus the points"
OVER 63.5 Liberty/Wake

Travis is a Tennessee "fan" or whatever right? Was he on or against Tennessee weeks 1 or 2?

My instant thought tonight was fsu and I almost bet them early. I been really impressed w how improved Travis seems to be, looks to me like he in total command the offense and has made real strides as a passer, even when lsu got into the backfield he mostly escaped and continued looking downfield instead of just tucking it and running. He has without a doubt made more strides than Cunningham but the problem is Cunningham is way more electric and it appeared Satterfiekd finally gave up on forcing him to be a pocket passer in the 2nd half the ucf game, ville offense outside the 1st drive in both games (the scripted plays) been straight ass and it cause they wanted Cunningham to play from the pocket, he is not a consistently accurate enough thrower to do that! We saw what happened the min they took him off his leash, he went nuts for over 100 yards and had 3 scoring drives in the 2nd half!

Here lies the problem for the noles, they have been terrible trying to defend not just Cunningham in past years but pretty much every athletic running qb they have seen! The kid on cuse shredded them on the ground last year when he was hardly any danger to pass, Cunningham has done it several times, Daniels was running all over them in the lsu game. We could say they had a extra week to work on that but it’s a problem carried over from last year and don’t look like it was fixed with a entire off season to work on!

That makes this game really freaking tough, I believe more in Norvell and think he finally has noles heading the right direction, but his team has shown no ability to stop Cunningham or qbs similar to him, I think this will easily be ville’s best offensive showing of the season but I’m not real sure if that gets them the win? Assuming they let cunningham do what he does from the jump, they can’t afford not too, we saw how often he wore down late in games playing that way last year. We have seen ville offense look really good in their initial drive both weeks so think Satterfiekd doing a good job with those scripted plays. Ville 1st home game you know they will have the juice edge early on. I like ville 1st half +110 but I think if noles stay close they find way to win it in 2nd.

My instant thought tonight was fsu and I almost bet them early. I been really impressed w how improved Travis seems to be, looks to me like he in total command the offense and has made real strides as a passer, even when lsu got into the backfield he mostly escaped and continued looking downfield instead of just tucking it and running. He has without a doubt made more strides than Cunningham but the problem is Cunningham is way more electric and it appeared Satterfiekd finally gave up on forcing him to be a pocket passer in the 2nd half the ucf game, ville offense outside the 1st drive in both games (the scripted plays) been straight ass and it cause they wanted Cunningham to play from the pocket, he is not a consistently accurate enough thrower to do that! We saw what happened the min they took him off his leash, he went nuts for over 100 yards and had 3 scoring drives in the 2nd half!

Here lies the problem for the noles, they have been terrible trying to defend not just Cunningham in past years but pretty much every athletic running qb they have seen! The kid on cuse shredded them on the ground last year when he was hardly any danger to pass, Cunningham has done it several times, Daniels was running all over them in the lsu game. We could say they had a extra week to work on that but it’s a problem carried over from last year and don’t look like it was fixed with a entire off season to work on!

That makes this game really freaking tough, I believe more in Norvell and think he finally has noles heading the right direction, but his team has shown no ability to stop Cunningham or qbs similar to him, I think this will easily be ville’s best offensive showing of the season but I’m not real sure if that gets them the win? Assuming they let cunningham do what he does from the jump, they can’t afford not too, we saw how often he wore down late in games playing that way last year. We have seen ville offense look really good in their initial drive both weeks so think Satterfiekd doing a good job with those scripted plays. Ville 1st home game you know they will have the juice edge early on. I like ville 1st half +110 but I think if noles stay close they find way to win it in 2nd.
Surprised you aren't on one of the over angles with these 2 QBs

Surprised you aren't on one of the over angles with these 2 QBs

I like Cunningham over his rush total, ville team total over, and prob gm ov 57 also. I know Tahoe doesn’t do props tho so was giving him my best guess on how game goes, how im betting the side:

Reactions: KJ
Ville 1st half just feels right to me. Getting plus money and honestly don’t think they winning this game if they down at half. Not only do I think Novell make better adjustments but if noles in the lead at half it means they methodically moving ball and will most likely wear ville down in the 2nd.

That game gives me a headache!
Ha,ha! Me too. I've been leaning aTm all week, but that's based more on vague generalities--I don't think Cristobal has proved he can coach, an aTm defense that should be good but hasn't shown they are, aTm should be the tougher team but hasn't proved it, night game at Kyle Field, 12 man, blah, blah--than anything that's actually occurred on the field. Worst of all, I thought I might have to give a point or two, but it was already at 5 the first time I looked at it

That's why it gives me a headache

Ha,ha! Me too. I've been leaning aTm all week, but that's based more on vague generalities--I don't think Cristobal has proved he can coach, an aTm defense that should be good but hasn't shown they are, aTm should be the tougher team but hasn't proved it, night game at Kyle Field, 12 man, blah, blah--than anything that's actually occurred on the field. Worst of all, I thought I might have to give a point or two, but it was already at 5 the first time I looked at it

That's why it gives me a headache

I can’t lay points w these fuckwrs. I feel like it Miami or nothing for me but I don’t like it. Outside qb who I like I don’t know much bout Miami yet. They only scored one 1st half td on s.miss, that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence they can score on Aggies. I dunno if Miami can stop the run or not? Shit, I just don’t know! Fuck this game!

• Haha
Reactions: KJ
I can’t lay points w these fuckwrs. I feel like it Miami or nothing for me but I don’t like it. Outside qb who I like I don’t know much bout Miami yet. They only scored one 1st half td on s.miss, that doesn’t exactly inspire confidence they can score on Aggies. I dunno if Miami can stop the run or not? Shit, I just don’t know! Fuck this game!
Same decision I made. I'm leaving it alone

It's amazing to me that after 50 games at aTm has a worse record--35-15 to 36-14--than Kevin Sumlin. Sumlin was fired, Jimbo got a gigantic contract extension. The Aggie factor at work

Same decision I made. I'm leaving it alone

It's amazing to me that after 50 games at aTm has a worse record--35-15 to 36-14--than Kevin Sumlin. Sumlin was fired, Jimbo got a gigantic contract extension. The Aggie factor at work
Sumlin getting wasted didn't help lol

Did not know where to put this - so I choose here.

As we discussed somewhere after week #1, UTSA looks good again, has fan support and players are well coached. I do not know if I can bet them this week (will not be on Horns). but, I'd say that if UTSA looks good and hangs around then head coach Jeff Traylor will have a new job next year, provided no breakdown rest of the year.

Long/short - Traylor audition game IMO and I am sure he knows it.

As we discussed somewhere after week #1, UTSA looks good again, has fan support and players are well coached. I do not know if I can bet them this week (will not be on Horns). but, I'd say that if UTSA looks good and hangs around then head coach Jeff Traylor will have a new job next year, provided no breakdown rest of the year.

He turned down offers a couple years ago and signed that extension. Could be one of "those" guys that would rather stay and build than go play political musical chairs. Not a bad place to do that. Could easily see UTSA in a power conference sooner than later. Lots of boxes are already checked.

Added picks from the ML Dogs pickers.

I dropped aTm from my list. Only bet so far is Fresno St + 12x. Lean to Kansas +9, UTSA +12x. Slight lean to Michigan State +4, Texas Tech +10x, BYU +3x. Lean to a few favorites--Kansas State -14, Minn -27. Slight lean to three road favorites--Oklahoma, Georgia, Miss State

They are all more guesses than real handicapping so I'm still keeping my bets at a fraction of what they were

Anyone have any ideas on any of these?

I dropped aTm from my list. Only bet so far is Fresno St + 12x. Lean to Kansas +9, UTSA +12x. Slight lean to Michigan State +4, Texas Tech +10x, BYU +3x. Lean to a few favorites--Kansas State -14, Minn -27. Slight lean to three road favorites--Oklahoma, Georgia, Miss State

They are all more guesses than real handicapping so I'm still keeping my bets at a fraction of what they were

Ku starting to feel like that team who covers and wins multiple games as a sizable dog, houston hasn’t looked all that great to me, I don’t see any reason ku can’t play w them, they will def score I think.

I love messy st, them and cuse might be my favorite 2 of the week.

I think you either take the +10 w texas tech or pass. It’s weird I like ncst but so far all I been doing is going against them! Lol. I actually think o Leary a tad overrated but their d is really good.

I lean fresno but I might just end up playing their team total over (assuming it around 31), or over in some fashion or another. Feel like usc gonna hang bunch of points on just bout everyone so gonna need fresno to go over their tt to have much chance anyways.

I think byu wr’s still gonna be out, if they were playing I’d prob be on them, not sure can count on that freshman who went off last week to do same on the road?

Pretty much lean your way on all the dogs outside Michigan st. Not against just don’t know I like them enough to go out west? Not real sure on either those teams yet, I think udub might be pretty good w the competent coach now in charge. Neither team has played anyone so just not sure.

Don’t see any other way to play col/min, AF just gashed them for more than 300 on the ground now they gotta deal w gophers? That gonna be all bad!

I still kinda think fsu wins the game unless ville just jumps all over them early. I do like ville chances of having a good start tho, and I def think fsu will struggle with Cunningham running the ball.

I dunno what those guys see in lsu? Outside having home field at night but I don’t think that enough. Messy st is just a way better team right now imo. When leach gets to keep same qb for 3 years they have monster seasons and this Rogers 3rd year w him, so far he has looked fantastic. Maybe that no surprise but the d is really good!! I think they gonna cause all kinds of problems for Daniels as they give all kinds of different looks to confuse a qb and I think they plenty fast enough to keep him in check as a runner. I think this game a total mismatch.

I dunno what those guys see in lsu? Outside having home field at night but I don’t think that enough. Messy st is just a way better team right now imo. When leach gets to keep same qb for 3 years they have monster seasons and this Rogers 3rd year w him, so far he has looked fantastic. Maybe that no surprise but the d is really good!! I think they gonna cause all kinds of problems for Daniels as they give all kinds of different looks to confuse a qb and I think they plenty fast enough to keep him in check as a runner. I think this game a total mismatch.
Totally agree.

I know what a problem LSU can be in a home game at night, but that and Kelly are the only things I see in favor of LSU. They did not look like a team giving it all against FSU and some guys looked like they were out and out loafing, just going through the motions. Miss State D is underrated. No one ever notices a Leach D, but he has a good one this year.

My main decision on this one is whether to lay the points or take Miss St ML.

Totally agree.

I know what a problem LSU can be in a home game at night, but that and Kelly are the only things I see in favor of LSU. They did not look like a team giving it all against FSU and some guys looked like they were out and out loafing, just going through the motions. Miss State D is underrated. No one ever notices a Leach D, but he has a good one this year.

My main decision on this one is whether to lay the points or take Miss St ML.

I got a feeling going from easy Aw shucks Ed O to Kelly he gonna have some house cleaning to do to have a locker room totally on board w what he wants. I think he for sure wins there but only if they patient enough to give him the time.

I got a feeling going from easy Aw shucks Ed O to Kelly he gonna have some house cleaning to do to have a locker room totally on board w what he wants. I think he for sure wins there but only if they patient enough to give him the time.
Same feeling I got when I watched them against FSU. He'll win big at LSU when he gets the kind of player he thrives on, but there are some guys there now who have not bought in.

I think Fresno is solid pick. Haener has always been incredible vs PAC 12 and he said "USC didn't want little Jake Haener" so you know he always has that chip on his shoulder. Fresno can run too. Plus you get Tedford who's prepared for tons of these games through the years. Fresno D? Eh, gonna be tough there.

USC hasn't stopped much through the first 8 quarters this year and I'd be shocked if they all of a sudden played good D vs the best offense and QB they will have played so far.

I think Fresno is solid pick. Haener has always been incredible vs PAC 12 and he said "USC didn't want little Jake Haener" so you know he always has that chip on his shoulder. Fresno can run too. Plus you get Tedford who's prepared for tons of these games through the years. Fresno D? Eh, gonna be tough there.

USC hasn't stopped much through the first 8 quarters this year and I'd be shocked if they all of a sudden played good D vs the best offense and QB they will have played so far.
Will always be a built in chip with guys that landed FBS in regional games. They were likely recruited elsewhere but will pin the ears back on a game like this. USC is a great letdown candidate this weekend too.

Will always be a built in chip with guys that landed FBS in regional games. They were likely recruited elsewhere but will pin the ears back on a game like this. USC is a great letdown candidate this weekend too.

Haener was originally Washington. I'm trying to recall, but he may've said he grew up USC fan. You think they let down off Stanford? I don't know, I wouldn't expect them to be flat here.

One strange thing this year, they can't run the ball well. So it's all on Harris' shoulders. I'd assume their OL won;t improve and their RBs won't run it better vs Texas. So Harris has to do it all pretty much.

I'll be shocked if Utah doesn't cover. Saw someonein ml say sdsu, no way on ml

I am expecting them to have a very rough year, obviously not a news flash, the point spread says it all. Agree, no way they win this game. Prior SD St teams could muddy it up and make it ugly tough. Need some Utah WRs to make plays though to open the field up.

I am expecting them to have a very rough year, obviously not a news flash, the point spread says it all. Agree, no way they win this game. Prior SD St teams could muddy it up and make it ugly tough. Need some Utah WRs to make plays though to open the field up.

Sdst offense was bad enough before they brought in that loser qb from Vatech! Wtf were they thinking?

Added Colin Cowherd's picks (I like them all except the Patriots pick):

Lions -1x
Patriots -2x
Saints +2x
Packers -9x
Eagles -1x

I like pats. Under prob better tho. That gonna be a shitfest. No way does Hoody d let trubisky hurt them! Saints my favorite tho

Sdst offense was bad enough before they brought in that loser qb from Vatech! Wtf were they thinking?

Aztecs don't know how to do QBs. I feel like the sexual assault story of former (some were current, but now former) football players has weighed over this team too

I think I woulda nailed this ville game to a tee if Travis didn’t get hurt. Love me some acc! Lol

Back