ESPN Handicappers Picks--Week 1

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
SVP and Stanford Steve both finished in the black, but SVP hit 60%, Steve 57%...Greg McElroy showed he’s a serious handicapper in his first year and finished in the black, just behind Steve at 56%...
Phil Steele finished in the plus column for wins, but in the red for betting…Colin Cowherd was in the red for the second straight season…
Corso was the best Super Dog picker, and all five finished in the black…

All D-League pickers finished in the red for the season, although Connelly won more bets than he lost…

Haven't made any bets yet, mainly because I haven't devoted the time to it and because I can't figure out what effect all the changes--the biggest in college football history--are going to have. I won a lot of money the last few years and I'm not going to blow it so will only bet a fraction of my usual amount per game till I figure it out. Plus, a lot of my steady money winners have changed. Kelly at N Dame was the most reliable bet in a long time. Maybe all time. Money in the bank betting them SU when they were a favorite. Kelly won his last 40 in a row SU as a favorite and was 54-1 in his last 55.

I hope all the pickers who posted picks for SVP and Colin and anyone else listed below will do so again this year

ESPN Pickers:
Stanford Steve— 2021 (39-29) Two-Season Total (71-56)

Illinois +1x
Okla/UTEP o 57
Rice +32x (best bet)
The Ville –4x
Rutgers +

Scott Van Pelt— 2021 (57-38) Two-Season Total (99-77)
Colorado (+14)
ECU (+11x)
Cincy (+7)
UTSA (+4)
Florida (+3)
Syracuse (+4)
No Texas (+11)

The Bear— 2021 (36-44) Two-Season Total (61-65)
Illinois +1x
Purdue +3x
N Carolina –1x
UCLA –23x
Washington +23
Bank Picks— 2021 (21-21)

Greg McElroy— 2021 (22-17)
Old Dominion +6
James Madison –5
Ark/Cinn u 52

Gameday Super Dog Picks, Season Record
Lee—9-3-1
Desmond—9-4
Kirk—8-4-1
Reece—Win 8-5
David—7-6

Other Pickers:
Phil Steele--3-4 2021 (51-47) Two-Season Total (78-87)

N Texas +11 lose
C Caro/Army u 53 lose
Tulane –28 win
UC Davis +21x win
USF +12 lose
SE Mo St +36x win
Colorado +14 lose

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five— 2021 (31-40) Two-Season Total (66-77)

My Picks— 2021 (60-34) Two-Season Total (108-65)
TCU/Colo St o 55x lose
LSU ML

ESPN D-League Pickers:
Bill Connelly—2021 (35-32)

Tyler Fulghum—2021 (17-15)
NFL Picks—2021 (15-23)
Florida +3
Arkansas +6
Tennessee -34x win

Joe Fortenbaugh—2021 (25-33)

NFL Picks—2021 (38-35)
Georgia/Oregon u 53
Ohio State -17
Cincinnati +6x

David M. Hale—2021 (19-23)

Doug Kezirian—2021 (22-28)
NFL Picks—2021 (13-23)

ML Dog Pickers:
Zac Al-Khateeb— 2021 (17-23)

Colorado +14
Illinois +3
Army +2

Bill Trocci— 2021 (16-23)
Illinois +3
North Texas +10x
Temple +7

Mike DeCourcy 2021 (15-24)
Colorado +14
Oregon +17
Temple +7

Bill Bender— 2021 (9-30)
Illinois +3
Florida +3
Arizona +6

Pamela Maldonado— 2021 (17-23)
Army +2x
Utah –3
Purdue +3x Lose
Purdue/PSU o 53 Win
W Virginia +7x Win

Last edited:
Washington would be -23

Rice as a best bet is pretty ballsy. The way you beat USC is at the LOS and I know that will be Bloomgren's game, but not sure they can do that. Many teams can vs USC, not something Riley will be able to shake a magic wand at and fix. Stanford maybe next week. Rice is a worse version of Stanford. But interesting for a best bet on Rice. Must feel the line is inflated on hype, did he have comments?

good to see you posting. thanks.

I'm on TCU O55 and it's up to 58.5 at one of my books. Was thinking of jumping off (and betting U58.5 for a hopeful middle) and betting TCU TT O36ish instead. Everything I read says COL offense should be horrible. Not sure on TCU defense TY. Seems it's TCU that will send this Over or not. But curious what you think? thanks

@TahoeLegend Thank you again for the many years you have done this. It takes real effort. I was going ask if you were going to do it this year, but I did not want to appear to be putting pressure on you.

I also listen to "Bet the Board" podcast - Todd Fuhrman, Payne Insider and Brad Powers (new this year). I will be glad to add their selection each week.

Bet the Board Week #1 - WVa TT Under 21.5 Record 0-1 ( i did not bet this)

Have another great season. Always enjoy this thread.

Washington would be -23

Rice as a best bet is pretty ballsy. The way you beat USC is at the LOS and I know that will be Bloomgren's game, but not sure they can do that. Many teams can vs USC, not something Riley will be able to shake a magic wand at and fix. Stanford maybe next week. Rice is a worse version of Stanford. But interesting for a best bet on Rice. Must feel the line is inflated on hype, did he have comments?
One of his reasons for Rice was the pace of the game as I recall

Washington would be -23

Not really. In fact, both times he talked about it--on Daily Wager and on SVP--he avoided any reason why he liked it and just said, "I'm taking Rice because I have to and that's all I'm saying." That was it.

I thought maybe his reasoning was the game was at Rice, but I see that's not the case

Last edited:
good to see you posting. thanks.

I'm on TCU O55 and it's up to 58.5 at one of my books. Was thinking of jumping off (and betting U58.5 for a hopeful middle) and betting TCU TT O36ish instead. Everything I read says COL offense should be horrible. Not sure on TCU defense TY. Seems it's TCU that will send this Over or not. But curious what you think? thanks

I'm basing the bet on Sonny Dykes. Everyone is back on offense for TCU and Dykes' teams always score big and always give up points. The whole time he was at SMU they gave at least three scores to every FBS team they played except one and they give up double digits in that one.

TCU couldn't stop anyone last year when they had a guy known as a defensive guru as the coach--gave up at least 28 every game--so I expect them to give up some even to a team like Colorado.

I don't like backing teams with a new coach, new offense, new OC, and on the road, but Sonny likes to score and has never had trouble at his other jobs in putting up points right away.

I knew i could count on SVP! I feel kinda the same way bout ville/cuse as I did pitt/wvu (which wvu somehow barely covered after owning most the game!). Pretty much everyone I respect is on ville (kind like pitt) and I get it, I like ville, their offense in particular. They destroyed cuse in this game last year also, but I just have a feeling this one gonna look different and that +4 w cuse is super tempting. Ya’ll know how much I follow the acc and ville drove me fucjing nuts last year, I don’t even want to add up how many times I was on them and they looked like totally the right side for 3 qrtrs then fell apart!

I know there a argument to be made a team like ville w bunch of tough losses will win more games the following year and while I understand it the way this game sets up makes me worry it looks a lot the same as other 4th qrtr ville collapses! If cuse can stay close early Cuse is gonna bludgeon them w that run game and I just dunno if ville can hold up against it for 4 qrtrs? Cuse passing game has to be better and I think it will be, defenses gotta focus on taking the run away so much it can’t be that hard to hit some plays over the top! I expect the new oc helps but he has to still stay true to their strengths!! I think the cuse d could be pretty good which will help them stay in it early, Babers on a year his team has to show something, last time that was the case cuse was pretty good.

If you do like ville I think you be better off playing them 1st half, if cuse leading at half I think ville in real trouble.

I'm basing the bet on Sonny Dykes. Everyone is back on offense for TCU and Dykes' teams always score big and always give up points. The whole time he was at SMU they gave at least three scores to every FBS team they played except one and they give up double digits in that one.

TCU couldn't stop anyone last year when they had a guy known as a defensive guru as the coach--gave up at least 28 every game--so I expect them to give up some even to a team like Colorado.

I don't like backing teams with a new coach, new offense, new OC, and on the road, but Sonny likes to score and has never had trouble at his other jobs in putting up points right away.
thanks great reasoning. Think I'll just add 1/2 unit on TCU TT also. thanks

PS Who is Bill Bender and did he really go 9-30 LY? That's hard to do. LOL

He's not a handicapper. He either a reporter or an editor. Whatever he is he is no handicapper. Of course all the pickers in that section are taking ML dogs ever week so they are likely to be below .500 even though some of them finished well in the black on the money side.

@TahoeLegend Thank you again for the many years you have done this. It takes real effort. I was going ask if you were going to do it this year, but I did not want to appear to be putting pressure on you.

I also listen to "Bet the Board" podcast - Todd Fuhrman, Payne Insider and Brad Powers (new this year). I will be glad to add their selection each week.

Yes, Fuhrman and Payne are good. Please do post.

Virtual Locks

Joey Galloway
Ov 59 (ND/Ohio St)
No Car St (-12x)

Matt Barrie
Arkansas (-6x)
Mississippi (-21x)

I know they weren't good last year but figured I would post them just in case.

He's not a handicapper. He either a reporter or an editor. Whatever he is he is no handicapper. Of course all the pickers in that section are taking ML dogs ever week so they are likely to be below .500 even though some of them finished well in the black on the money side.
Oh I missed that is the ml dog section. makes more sense. Thanks

Virtual Locks

Joey Galloway
Ov 59 (ND/Ohio St)
No Car St (-12x)

Matt Barrie
Arkansas (-6x)
Mississippi (-21x)

I know they weren't good last year but figured I would post them just in case.

I love ncst but think ya gotta be crazy to lay that at ecu, this gonna be a tough ass game! I been debating all week if I was gonna take the points or pass, seeing how I don’t like much in the early window I prob end up on ecu.

Please do. I've heard of Fuhrman and heard he is a good handicapper. Haven't heard of the other two, but if you'll post their records along with their picks it won't take long to see how good they are

I love ncst but think ya gotta be crazy to lay that at ecu, this gonna be a tough ass game! I been debating all week if I was gonna take the points or pass, seeing how I don’t like much in the early window I prob end up on ecu.

I was going to ask you about NC State. I see every handicapper in the country seems to be on E Carolina. I'm surprised. Isn't this supposed to be the best N C State team since Doeren has been there?

Anything else you see in the ACC?

Please do. I've heard of Fuhrman and heard he is a good handicapper. Haven't heard of the other two, but if you'll post their records along with their picks it won't take long to see how good they are
Brad Powers one of the best CFB handicappers out there for sure. I always like to hear what he has to say, has really good perspective and breakdowns. Also puts out the Powers Picks tip sheet each week with is a great read. Not sure about other dude.

I was going to ask you about NC State. I see every handicapper in the country seems to be on E Carolina. I'm surprised. Isn't this supposed to be the best N C State team since Doeren has been there?

Anything else you see in the ACC?

Oh yea they good, I think they could def win the acc, I just think this gonna be a tough game In a crazy atmosphere against a ecu team that has lot of experience, a qb that can play, solid oline, and a defense that gets better every year under this coach. I think they win but def think ecu will be able to hang for awhile anyways. To me it the points or pass but I don’t feel super strong bout it, they could def end up winning by a couple scores.

Let’s see, what other acc is there? Think I’ll be on cuse just gonna wait long as possible cause ville getting all the love.

I don’t know enough about Rutgers but BC lost everything from the oline, the one nfl prospect who was supposed to be back got injured over the summer, 3 others from last year now in the nfl. Their coach can build a line but think it gonna take a bit with all the shuffling they have had to do. Can Rutgers take advantage of that? I dunno.

Unc could be in real trouble in Boone. I don’t think they have the heart to go in there and deal w app st nasty oline and run game.

Since I can really see that ncst/ecu game going either way spread wise I played ecu qb ahlers ov 231.5 pass yards., feel like regardless how this goes unless it just a straight defensive battle (which not exactly acc teams mo’s) he gonna have to throw for this, to stay close or to come back! I think the oline is solid enough to give him time but don’t think it real likely they gonna open many holes to consistently run the ball w success against a ncst team who prob has a top 10ish run d..

Added the D-League pickers, although I never had time to find all of them. Didn't see Phil Steele picks either

He busy somewhere patting himself on the back for last years season long projections he was close on! Lol. It been a year dude, I already bought your mag so ya really don’t have to waste paper telling me how great you are!! And for as close a lot his projections are they sure as hell don’t seem to do him a ton of good when it comes to betting the games!!!

Super Dogs - Gameday

Rece - Arizona +6x
David - UTSA +4
Desmond - USF +11x
Kirk - ECU +12
Lee - Syracuse +4x

Damn, is it bad or good to line up w these guys? Im On bottom 3 and lean utsa also! Not sure if I should be happy bout that or not?

Oh yea they good, I think they could def win the acc, I just think this gonna be a tough game In a crazy atmosphere against a ecu team that has lot of experience, a qb that can play, solid oline, and a defense that gets better every year under this coach. I think they win but def think ecu will be able to hang for awhile anyways. To me it the points or pass but I don’t feel super strong bout it, they could def end up winning by a couple scores.

Let’s see, what other acc is there? Think I’ll be on cuse just gonna wait long as possible cause ville getting all the love.

I don’t know enough about Rutgers but BC lost everything from the oline, the one nfl prospect who was supposed to be back got injured over the summer, 3 others from last year now in the nfl. Their coach can build a line but think it gonna take a bit with all the shuffling they have had to do. Can Rutgers take advantage of that? I dunno.

Unc could be in real trouble in Boone. I don’t think they have the heart to go in there and deal w app st nasty oline and run game.

Good call on that NC State, E Carolina game, 2daBank. I was tempted by NC State but I know you have the ACC down pat.

That Carolina/App State must have had bettors crapping their pants. Winners changed at least a dozen times in the fourth quarter. I lost count of how many times it changed in the last 60 seconds, but it was a lot.

Ive never seen a team like N Carolina. They've become a team that is a threat to score on every play and a threat to give up a score on every play.

Back