College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people bolt conferences ? Do they just sign their own tv rights for one season like Norte Dame does ?

If liability, which it seems to be, is the largest issue can they not enforce waivers and remove majority of the liability?

If liability, which it seems to be, is the largest issue can they not enforce waivers and remove majority of the liability?

The NCAA revoked the waivers some schools were having players sign last week after pressure from US Senators Cory Booker and Richard Blumenthal.

If all the athletes signed covid waivers would the Presidents decided what they did?

The NCAA revoked the waivers some schools were having players sign last week after pressure from US Senators Cory Booker and Richard Blumenthal.

If all the athletes signed covid waivers would the Presidents decided what they did?
Thanks didn’t know booker was forcing it and not sure if your question is sarcastic or not, but I would say I would lean no they wouldn’t but I don’t really know what to think with the c19 situation

Some people say the hold harmless and liability waivers are not ironclad and lawyers can still file suits. I don't know.

It would seem that without that it leaves a huge unknown for these Presidents who I'm sure love football revenue, but they have a big picture to look out for and even the slightest chance of a football plsyer(s) that fall ill in a really bad way with financial exposure and negative PR and headlines is risk these Presidents simply could not stand to accept.

The Booker-Blumenthal letter to NCAA from June:

They pat themselves on the back August 6th:

Lol he quotes cnn and new york times for support. Really credible stuff. What an asshole

Football was never in doubt after Tyler Hilinski‘s death. Now they they worry about one player dying?

Exactly. The chances of some kid dying from covid are as likely as them dying from anything else you can think of. I don’t understand the reasoning or thinking behind this being any more dangerous than anything else, and the feeling that universities are somehow now opened up to more liability.

The fact colleges and their higher ups are the ones who don’t seem to understand basic science, probabilities, and odds is the most ironic thing one can imagine. What a fucking pussy society we’ve turned into.

the virus isn't political

Exactly. The chances of some kid dying from covid are as likely as them dying from anything else you can think of. I don’t understand the reasoning or thinking behind this being any more dangerous than anything else, and the feeling that universities are somehow now opened up to more liability.

The fact colleges and their higher ups are the ones who don’t seem to understand basic science, probabilities, and odds is the most ironic thing one can imagine. What a fucking pussy society we’ve turned into.

Player at Indiana, Arizona, Houston, Clemson (Xavier Thomas) and maybe somewhere else I'm forgetting, I heard a lot of talk about these players recovered from covid, but their bodies have not. Seems there is some detrimental effect on heart and lungs in some people that compromises their athletic ability, stamina and underlying vulnerabilites to other illnesses. Throw in that we live in a litigious society where lawyers are always looking for new victims and new lawsuits, surely there will be players or families, good forbid after a death, but even some sort of long-lasting negative impact of the life of a covid player who played in a sanctioned event by a university with deep pockets who should've done more to protect said player...people are out to protect themselves. The Universities are out to protect themselves. That is how I see it being. Not that I agree with that is how it should be, but here we are. I don't doubt there is some moral obligation to the player's safety some of these people are citing, but ultimately...this is the wrong time to be on the wrong end of a bad coronavirus story. Sure football brings in a ton of money to the athletic department, but these Presidents are responsible for much larger budgets and concerns. Probably how it boiled down is the more athletic friendly Presidents felt compelled to want to see if and how they could play and I'm sure there were some other Presidents that just thought the whole idea of even considering it was outrageous and reckless. Lots of different opinions and lots of different people don't agree on stuff.

The good news is that they can still practice 20 fucking hours a week!

And go to class!

The virus only knows Saturdays and stadiums.

This shit is hilarious.

Just another thing using the virus as a crutch. It's pretty disgusting.

Congrats to the other 3 for clearing the season.

Player at Indiana, Arizona, Houston, Clemson (Xavier Thomas) and maybe somewhere else I'm forgetting, I heard a lot of talk about these players recovered from covid, but their bodies have not. Seems there is some detrimental effect on heart and lungs in some people that compromises their athletic ability, stamina and underlying vulnerabilites to other illnesses. Throw in that we live in a litigious society where lawyers are always looking for new victims and new lawsuits, surely there will be players or families, good forbid after a death, but even some sort of long-lasting negative impact of the life of a covid player who played in a sanctioned event by a university with deep pockets who should've done more to protect said player...people are out to protect themselves. The Universities are out to protect themselves. That is how I see it being. Not that I agree with that is how it should be, but here we are. I don't doubt there is some moral obligation to the player's safety some of these people are citing, but ultimately...this is the wrong time to be on the wrong end of a bad coronavirus story. Sure football brings in a ton of money to the athletic department, but these Presidents are responsible for much larger budgets and concerns. Probably how it boiled down is the more athletic friendly Presidents felt compelled to want to see if and how they could play and I'm sure there were some other Presidents that just thought the whole idea of even considering it was outrageous and reckless. Lots of different opinions and lots of different people don't agree on stuff.

My point is the same “long lasting effects” you’re talking about are proven to also be caused by the flu, pneumonia, and many other respiratory viruses. Did they not care about their athletes and potential lawsuits leading up to this season? It’s completely hypocritical and makes no sense.

Not to mention, what about the other tens of thousands of students on their campuses? Are they not also liable to sue the university of one if them gets sick and has “long lasting effects?” It’s all a compete bunch of BS.

The good news is that they can still practice 20 fucking hours a week!

And go to class!

The virus only knows Saturdays and stadiums.

This shit is hilarious.

Just another thing using the virus as a crutch. It's pretty disgusting.

Congrats to the other 3 for clearing the season.
And the university only fears lawsuits from athletes that might catch the rona, not Joe student.

It is the risk of the unknown and the spot light that will be on their decision to allow football with all the publicity and media attention the games and the players are all going to get. If somebody in biology class gets it, nobody will know. If the reserve left guard at Indiana gets it, it will be headline news across the country with media requests for interviews "was this the right decision to make" "who else did that person expose, what are their risks, do they have any vulnerable people living with them" "are you putting student athletes in harms way, are you risking lives for profit"?

It's a lose - lose situation for the Presidents. They don't want to deal with any of that.

I'm not really even taking a position, I'm just trying to get across how I think they are seeing this situation. I wish that wasn't the way it was, but coronavirus and all, shit sucks and it is going to continue sucking.

The safe decision was the cancel, or postpone. They took the safe way out, for them.

B12 starts Sept 26th.

I'm excited to see how they scheduled out for maximum TV games in these 3 conferences. Ratings should be massive.

A lot of these teams could be getting a lot better too.

It would suck only having 3 conferences going, but the talent of a bunch of 3rd and 4th year players from teams outta the pac 12 or b1g could make it a super competitive season

The ncaa just going allow hardship transfers to players who conferences suspended play? , that would be hilarious

Biggest issue may be how many schools have scholarship spots open

How many kids saban is willing to revoke scholarships to bring in blue chippers

How many 'academic' scholarships the sec is about to hand out if possible

Found this on si.com

Athletes in the Big Ten and Pac 12, as well as all other leagues that have cancelled their fall seasons, should (and may) be allowed to transfer to other conferences, say the SEC or ACC, that choose to play in the fall. The NCAA has already set a bit of precedent for such a decision.

Much earlier this year, in the spring, the U Sports league in Canada cancelled their fall football season. Since that decision, Ole Miss has added two collegiate football players from Canada’s U Sports league, defensive lineman Tavius Robinson and cornerback Deane Leonard. They both are immediately eligible, pending paperwork, due to the U Sports league cancellation.

So what’s the difference?

If the NCAA is granting eligibility to those transferring because of a cancelled season in one league, why should those transferring from other leagues be treated differently?

Wait until the other 3 conferences decide to cancel their seasons too. Don't be surprised.

School hasn't even started on these campuses yet.

Biggest issue may be how many schools have scholarship spots open

How many kids saban is willing to revoke scholarships to bring in blue chippers

How many 'academic' scholarships the sec is about to hand out if possible

They'd have to allow more than 85 for teams to add on players IMO. Or some sort of special scholarship. But I'd guess the whole reason that the B1G is going with the ruse of a spring season is to keep this from happening

They'd have to allow more than 85 for teams to add on players IMO. Or some sort of special scholarship. But I'd guess the whole reason that the B1G is going with the ruse of a spring season is to keep this from happening
Bingo

NFL teams can apparently bring in coaches as “consultants “ from any of these conferences that are not playing this season

I would assume the school has to sign off on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back