College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbaugh is on the side of playing football and made an excellent case in his statement:

"I would like to address the rumors that are swirling today," Harbaugh said in the statement. "I'm not advocating for football this fall because of my passion or our players' desire to play but because of the facts accumulated over the last eight weeks since our players returned to campus on June 13."

In the statement, Harbaugh makes a case for why a season could still safely go on, which includes the program having zero positive tests out of the last 353 administered, zero positive tests among the coaches and staff over the entire eight weeks of testing, following CDC guidelines and "self‐implemented stricter standards for contacting tracing in quarantining to prevent spread."

"We have developed a great prototype for how we can make this work and provide the opportunity for players to play. If you are transparent and follow the rules, this is how it can be done.

"I am forever proud of our players, parents, coaches and staff for being leaders and role models in our sport, at our institution and in society. We will continue to follow all health and safety guidelines, teach, train, and coach those young men and their families that have put their trust in us, while advocating for a football season in the fall."

College Football is probably the first example ( opening schools another one ), where we have to start looking at how do we move on with life during this pandemic. Still with consideration on how to keep people safe

Shutting everything down , hoping for a vaccine is not a solution, it takes no guts

Serious question. And I want you to think about it.

Do you guys give a damn about the kids playing and the universities or do you care more about this as an entertainment option you need to have?

Here is the other thing. CFB is in a tricky spot because they let the NCAA govern them but not “run” them.

But a good spot in this instance.
CFB is tricky tricky man

Do you guys give a damn about the kids playing and the universities or do you care more about this as an entertainment option you need to have?
Thought about it and yes I do.

look a school like LSU for instance has made going to LSU “easier” with the TOPS program. Let’s LA kids get into school and basically get huge discounts. In fact, it was almost too easy to get.
So a school like LSU NEEDS the football team to generate revenue when most other sports there run at a deficit( our baseball is an anomaly most big university do not get profit from that)...

That’s just a local example.

If a kid doesn’t want to play don’t. Fine. If you are scared don’t play.

Thought about it and yes I do.

look a school like LSU for instance has made going to LSU “easier” with the TOPS program. Let’s LA kids get into school and basically get huge discounts. In fact, it was almost too easy to get.
So a school like LSU NEEDS the football team to generate revenue when most other sports there run at a deficit( our baseball is an anomaly most big university do not get profit from that)...

That’s just a local example.

If a kid doesn’t want to play don’t. Fine. If you are scared don’t play.

Fair enough.

The, oh no wtf am I going to do on Saturdays crowd. No tailgate, parties, etc.

Or, fuck, I need football, covid has already sucked the life out of me

Or, I want to be able to bet college football, we need it!

Selfish reasons basically.

Maybe. Who doesn’t like CFB Saturdays?

my 9 year old is putting pads on this week and practicing. Trust me, I get it. Kid doesn’t want to play don’t play.

but this bullshit we are being fed( I spit it out ) is for the fucking birds bro.

Maybe. Who doesn’t like CFB Saturdays?

my 9 year old is putting pads on this week and practicing. Trust me, I get it. Kid doesn’t want to play don’t play.

but this bullshit we are being fed( I spit it out ) is for the fucking birds bro.

I'm just getting to the deep end of the pool, what people really want and what's important in the grand scheme of things.

I ask myself these questions. And I struggle with it.

But I'm biased because I've bet every fall Saturday for 20 years.

I don’t want to see anyone die. And reality is they can probably put 95% of all CFB players in the same stadium and let em spit on each other and no one will get it. Precautions will be met. And if someone DOES get it. Well we have seen what happens in MLB and NBA. Funeral after funeral and permanent disabilities.

I'm just getting to the deep end of the pool, what people really want and what's important in the grand scheme of things.
It’s good to ponder these things and ask the questions.

I think the schools cancelling are bowing to their power tie ins and are more worried about legalities than they are about people playing and fitting narratives

I don’t want to see anyone die. And reality is they can probably put 95% of all CFB players in the same stadium and let em spit on each other and no one will get it. Precautions will be met. And if someone DOES get it. Well we have seen what happens in MLB and NBA. Funeral after funeral and permanent disabilities.

Mlb and nfl compared to school athletes is apples and oranges man.

The nba is in a bubble.

Mlb has been a disaster and they don't have a school to go back to.

Also there are less amounts of people in events.

It's a different world when talking about a ncaa
football game, travel, go back to school, etc.

The oh shit, somebody has covid, we better get ready to sue crowd comes out.

Hence, liability is the big factor, the chance of spread I'd also say its higher than most sports just based on being at a university with 20k plus students and kids being kids.

These are what the presidents and health officials are thinking about. The ramifications, not only in health, but legality.

Hence, liability is the big factor, the chance of spread I'd also say its higher than most sports just based on being at a university with 20k plus students and kids being kids.
Yea but a college campus?!

trust me I get your point

I don't get why college football doesn't create its own bubble. Students can take their classes virtually. Ship off all the SEC guys to Atlanta.

I’ll also say that I’ve seen people and know many now 1st hand who have had it. Had it and didn’t get anti bodies and on and on.

went to a Covid funeral too.

I know it’s real

I don't understand how these president's can say it's for health reasons to cancel fall sports, but they are allowing students back on campus. Having football would not contribute to a meaningful increase in number of cases outside of what will already happen and is happening. Of course that changes with full stadiums, but lets assume that the games would not be open to the public.

I don't get why college football doesn't create its own bubble. Students can take their classes virtually. Ship off all the SEC guys to Atlanta.

Because a lot of kids aren't going to be the in the nfl. They may want to be close to home? Maybe they want to fuck their gf every night?

Most of all, they aren't getting paid, save the sec jokes.

I don't understand how these president's can say it's for health reasons to cancel fall sports, but they are allowing students back on campus. Having football would not contribute to a meaningful increase in number of cases outside of what will already happen and is happening. Of course that changes with full stadiums, but lets assume that the games would not be open to the public.

That's a good point bar spoke to me about as well. If you're letting the kids come back for school then it isn't about the virus.

It's just a part of the grand scheme of things.

College Football is probably the first example ( opening schools another one ), where we have to start looking at how do we move on with life during this pandemic. Still with consideration on how to keep people safe

Shutting everything down , hoping for a vaccine is not a solution, it takes no guts

That's the problem. Lot of places they don't know wtf they are doing at all or cannot afford safety measures that may be required by their states.

I ask myself these questions. And I struggle with it.

But I'm biased because I've bet every fall Saturday for 20 years.

We have a right to want to be happy and my advice is to not let anybody tell you different. Heaven forbid we should get depressed enough to have to depend on Sammy Meatballs for more CTG therapy sessions.

If I’m being truthful I need the entertainment and the countless bets that I am sure to lose every Saturday. The players should have the choice to play or sit out but there should be a season.

The, oh no wtf am I going to do on Saturdays crowd. No tailgate, parties, etc.

Or, fuck, I need football, covid has already sucked the life out of me

Or, I want to be able to bet college football, we need it!

Selfish reasons basically.

I want college football, but the teams and conferences have to figure out how to do it. If they could figure it out, I will be happy to have football. If they can't life goes on. I can't control player safety, I can't determine expenditures for protocols. I can't determine what level of liability is acceptable. So I will just react to the decisions that others control that I can not control. Hopefully some form of college football happens...if not, oh well, what can you do about it? Nothing.

I love college football more than any sport, but I'm always health first. I take it to the extreme and advise everyone else to do the same. If it were more dangerous for kids to play football I'd say push it to spring or cancel it.

But there are two things I see that convince me it is NOT more dangerous. In fact, it is less dangerous.

One, I have yet to see a still photo or video where kids in that age group are wearing masks or practicing social distancing. Two, the only time any of these players will ever wear a mask or even think about the virus is in a controlled situation like practice where they are required to wear them. I think it's revealing that at Michigan and Oklahoma, where they require everyone to wear a mask, even during practice, not a single case has appeared.

So far every report of numbers of players being infected that has included details has revealed they either were not wearing masks and social distancing--Oklahoma State is the perfect example because Gundy refused to have the players take any safety steps because it suits his political agenda--or the Rutgers type deal where they got it at a party

I see both sides, but, as Saban and so many other coaches say, players are safer practicing football than just hanging out.

Allowing crowds seems like too big a risk to me, although we'll know more after Sturgis concludes this week

Last edited:
Frost has the same mindset as Harbaugh and says, "Nebraska wants to play and we'll look at any option, including playing outside the conference."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back