College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like this is all coming down to money, cost of testing.

Though, I'm sure we will be told its because of fear of the virus

There would be no need for money/testing if there was no fear of the virus; they are both tied together. Quit pretending the media is out to deceive at every turn. (maybe just every other turn)

There would be no need for money/testing if there was no fear of the virus; they are both tied together. Quit pretending the media is out to deceive at every turn. (maybe just every other turn)

that's fair, I guess the point I was trying to make is that the excuse will all be about fear of the virus, and I question if its really genuine

Is there any scenario where just 1 or 2 conferences play?

Or is it basically all or nothing?

clearer information is starting to come out, and it looks like even if they had the testing capability, its the potential liability that worries them the most. Thats understandable.

clearer information is starting to come out, and it looks like even if they had the testing capability, its the potential liability that worries them the most. Thats understandable.
I've thought 3 of 5 play for few weeks now.

Sec acc and B12.

I'd be very surprised if 1, 2 or 3 power 5 confs play after the others cancel the fall. Here's the word people are sick of: optics

The optics are awful if 1 power 5 conf cancels and the others play. I think they all go or they all cancel.

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't see a path to playing in the current climate. Too many question marks....too many headwinds.

I hate this. I absolutely hate this. Fall saturdays without college football is unreal. It's more than surreal it's unreal. And AWFUL.

Yeah, liability.

I mean, kids will get it either way. But, football is a reason for a moneygrab and blame.

Need waivers, simple as that.

I'd be very surprised if 1, 2 or 3 power 5 confs play after the others cancel the fall. Here's the word people are sick of: optics

The optics are awful if 1 power 5 conf cancels and the others play. I think they all go or they all cancel.

My opinion hasn't changed. I don't see a path to playing in the current climate. Too many question marks....too many headwinds.

I hate this. I absolutely hate this. Fall saturdays without college football is unreal. It's more than surreal it's unreal. And AWFUL.

this is a good point.

The SEC can probably afford the cost of testing, etc, but there will be tremendous pressure on them to shut it down if they are the only ones left out there wanting to play.

No prob with cancelling the season (doubt that spring happens either) but stop saying it's for players safety. It isn't.

Can someone guarantee right now that players w sickle cell trait or underlying health issues (obesity, hypertension, etc) are not at risk? That's the big question. Extremely intelligent kids in the pac 12 and B1G have raised this point and they are dictating matters now.

We are all just along for the ride.

Can someone guarantee right now that players w sickle cell trait or underlying health issues (obesity, hypertension, etc) are not at risk? That's the big question. Extremely intelligent kids in the pac 12 and B1G have raised this point and they are dictating matters now.

We are all just along for the ride.

Can someone guarantee that players with underlying conditions (such as you mentioned) are not at risk without even bringing covid into it? Are they not at risk to the flu, pneumonia, everything else that’s out there?

All of a sudden we have to ensure that there isn’t even the slightest chance someone gets sick/ill/etc? Lol, good luck with that going forward.

then they don't play

one off's should not dictate the entire policy.

The only solution I see to get back to normal from the people in power is to wait for a vaccine . What if that never happens ?. That isn't a solution

then they don't play

one off's should not dictate the entire policy.

The only solution I see to get back to normal from the people in power is to wait for a vaccine . What if that never happens ?. That isn't a solution

People will then say that a vaccine isn't a magic cure or that not everyone has had the vaccine (I think you made this point). At some point we have to go back to accepting some risk in everyday life...people have become so irrational that the level of risk they themselves once embraced now becomes a willingness to commit murder

People will then say that a vaccine isn't a magic cure or that not everyone has had the vaccine (I think you made this point). At some point we have to go back to accepting some risk in everyday life...people have become so irrational that the level of risk they themselves once embraced now becomes a willingness to commit murder

this is correct, and this is what some of us have been arguing from day 1.

waiting for a vaccine is not a solution

Can someone guarantee that players with underlying conditions (such as you mentioned) are not at risk without even bringing covid into it? Are they not at risk to the flu, pneumonia, everything else that’s out there?

All of a sudden we have to ensure that there isn’t even the slightest chance someone gets sick/ill/etc? Lol, good luck with that going forward.

It's a very good point. But right now COVID is all the rage (no pun intended)

It's a very good point. But right now COVID is all the rage (no pun intended)

It’s not only a good point it is THE point. If they’re not willing to do the same thing for every other virus/disease out there, doing it for covid is nothing but politics.

And obviously nobody would even suggest trying to guarantee someone’s safety for anything else in the world because that’s just incredibly fucking stupid. That is NOT a way to live life and have a country, organization, league, whatever function on a daily basis.

It still blows my mind that football players are worried about a virus while they're taking years off of their brain...or, as in the case of that Washington State quarterback Tyler Hilinksi....

But I understand a college/university, if they don't have protection from liability then its extremely risky for them to move forward with a season.

But I understand a college/university, if they don't have protection from liability then its extremely risky for them to move forward with a season.

To a point, sure. Have they had protection from liability for every other virus out there for those with pre-existing conditions? If so, why not just add covid to the list? If not, what the fuck are we doing? And again, they can simply have players sign waivers or whatever else to absolve themselves legally. It’s just beyond stupid what they’re trying to act like they care about.

I'll just wait until things are official...no sense in getting in a tizzy

I'm certainly not in a tizzy but definitely am extremely disappointed by the way this is trending. College football has long been my great escape, my cloud nine, a safe haven where I can go and forget about the problems in life at least one day a week in the fall. As a sports fanatic who appreciates several different sports, college football has risen well above in my personal pantheon of emotional attachment to sport. Next to my family, it is my favorite part of life.

I'm not afraid to admit that I've been feeling very down about the latest developments. I cannot help but feel extreme disappointment.

Fuck off about it being e health and well-being decision.

Edit: oh it was two directors. Probably from the Pac-12. Fuck off with this.

Wonder what changed so
Much in the last week , didn’t BIG10 just put out a schedule ?
Had to put our schedule to get moving on things. But just too much to overcome. Covid not the real issue here, it’s players organizing.

NCAA needs at least half a year to figure it out. Failing to plan is planning to fail. People get sick of me saying that but so true. The NCAA needs a commissioner,Mark Emmert is a complete assclown who should be in jail.

Will Roger pounce and move games to Saturday’s? I think a couple a week in the late afternoon then evening window could do.

I don’t want my Sunday’s to get ruined tho by only having half the games. There is nothing better than RedZone “witching hour”, right about 3:15 on when multiple games get wild AF and Hanson starts wetting himself trying to keep up. Plz don’t take that from me.

Wonder what changed so
Much in the last week , didn’t BIG10 just put out a schedule ?

The players galvanized and followed what the pac12 players did.

The players and the virus are calling the shots now, not the powerbrokers at the top.

Big 10 allegedly called the SEC and said they were cancelling by Tuesday.
Why call the SEC? Just curious what they owe them. “Hey guys, have it, we’re done. Just thought you should know we’re a bunch of pussies and now you can completely take over CFB. We didn’t have any games scheduled with you guys, just want you to prepare to monopolize. Good day”

Why call the SEC? Just curious what they owe them. “Hey guys, have it, we’re done. Just thought you should know we’re a bunch of pussies and now you can completely take over CFB. We didn’t have any games scheduled with you guys, just want you to prepare to monopolize. Good day”

Because the power 5 conferences are in an unofficial lockstep at this point.

The players galvanized and followed what the pac12 players did.

The players and the virus are calling the shots now, not the powerbrokers at the top.

is there really a strong organization of players?

I dont see it , and we don’t even know really how organized the PAC 12 players really were , besides writing some article

Will Roger pounce and move games to Saturday’s? I think a couple a week in the late afternoon then evening window could do.

I don’t want my Sunday’s to get ruined tho by only having half the games. There is nothing better than RedZone “witching hour”, right about 3:15 on when multiple games get wild AF and Hanson starts wetting himself trying to keep up. Plz don’t take that from me.

I think ( if they play) they could have games Thursday - Monday . You could essentially almost have every game per week in its own window .
Would be big ratings

is anyone playing high school football?

maybe they give this night to NBA
NBA will be done in early october tho and not back till december

NFL should be playing

Thursday night
Friday night
Saturday afternoon
Saturday primetime
Sunday morning - 4-7 games
Sunday afternoon - 3-4 games
SNF
MNF

Sunday amount of games depends on byes, maybe they skip fridays too in general

But talk about making up for lost revenue from less tickets sold, get fox or cbs to pay you HUGE money to move 1 game a week to Saturdays, alternate between primetime and afternoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back