College Football 2020 Discussion... as it pertains to our current climate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the problem will be football-related activities at all. It will be what happens when they aren't in the football facility that sparks a surge in cases.

To your point gps_3. This is probably what will undermine a season if anything does. The screw ups, the least motivated players, on the worst teams, and even on some good teams, will always choose to put everyone at risk by going to parties and ignoring guidelines.

If these “lists of demands” are related to covid, that’s one thing. If there’s anything on any of these lists that has to do with BS (“social justice,” “racial inequity,” etc), I hope the schools, conferences, and NCAA tell them to go pound salt. These kids, of all races, colors, creeds, are getting a scholarship to play football...if they don’t like it, they can easily just choose not to play. Doesn’t seem like anything crazy to suggest that either.

Unfortunately, as many have pointed out for over a decade, the pussification of this country, and these kids with their participation trophies and coddling they’ve gotten in their lives has led to this exact thing. Bunch of fucking whiny little pussies who want it all, but also don’t want to do anything they don’t feel like doing in order to get it.
The one issue is they cant choose not to play, the ncaa has a monopoly on entry to the nfl

So if you're a 4 or 5 star recruit who has a better than decent chance at the nfl, you have no other option, its not like basketball where you can go to europe, the g league, or australia

Baseball you can go pro right outta high school

hockey where you can play junior hockey in Canada, major or junior A, or even go to europe like auston Matthew's did

I agree with what you said on their demands being crazy, I have no problem with them wanting $$$, but the other stuff is telling a man how to run his business

But the reason why the ncaa has such pull is because it's the only way

I've always thought someone smart would create a regional development league, even if it's the nfl, you'd have to split it evenly since texas, florida, and cali would dominate, but make it a 16 team league, pay em like 50k, play in smaller stadiums at first, someone will pay for it on tv

To your point gps_3. This is probably what will undermine a season if anything does. The screw ups, the least motivated players, on the worst teams, and even on some good teams, will always choose to put everyone at risk by going to parties and ignoring guidelines.

It sucks that these college students can't go to parties and bars like usual, but if they really want to play, they are going to have to sacrifice. Unfortunately, personal responsibility and discipline are not well taught these days

The one issue is they cant choose not to play, the ncaa has a monopoly on entry to the nfl

So if you're a 4 or 5 star recruit who has a better than decent chance at the nfl, you have no other option, its not like basketball where you can go to europe, the g league, or australia

hockey where you can play junior hockey in Canada, major or junior A, or even go to europe like auston Matthew's did

I agree with what you said on their demands being crazy, I have no problem with them wanting $$$, but the other stuff is telling a man how to run his business

I've always thought someone smart would create a regional development league, even if it's the nfl, you'd have to split it evenly since texas, florida, and cali would dominate, but make it a 16 team league, pay em like 50k, play in smaller stadiums at first, someone will pay for it on tv
You’re 1st sentence is everything. I keep saying this.

That’s kinda my point. They can choose not to play, like at all...or stop acting as if you run the business and know anything about anything.

Yea they get a full freaking scholarship. They‘re not being exploited. Not to mention they can opt out. And this isn‘t about entertainment. Besides public morale, college football teams provide a hugely necessary boost to other areas in their university

We all know the vast majority of these guys are incapable of passing college courses. I don't know what the answer is but a college education means nothing to most of the players.

The one everyone is dreading would be Lawrence, except sports media, it's their wet dream, he has no reason already to play next year

Start working with a QB guru right now for the next 8 months is prolly a better situation for him to be starting in 13 months anyway

Not like boosters could even entice him since hes going 1.1 next year and guaranteed 34m or so, I think that's what Burrow got

I bet @VirginiaCavs has already ordered his jersey.

We all know the vast majority of these guys are incapable of passing college courses. I don't know what the answer is but a college education means nothing to most of the players.

Less than 2% of college football players make it to the pros.

I want to be a doctor, MD

I’ll pass on the medical school

That's a bad analogy

Medical school is the nfl

For undergrad you can go anywhere you want, with any degree, in almost any country

You'll be allowed to earn money while you go to school. You have options

Just look at the differences I posted between sports

To say there isnt a monopoly farm system in place is just people who dont want it to change because they like it the way it is.

I didn't say they shouldn't try to get an education. My point is the majority of players are too lazy to care enough to get something out of it.
Plenty of universities discourage their players from taking harder classes

One of the sec schools got in trouble a few years ago for basically creating bullshit courses for the football players to get credit in

So neither of them care, it's a facade

Less than 2% of college football players make it to the pros.
Yes, its definitely different based on what level recruit you are and your school

Number would be very different for players at power 5 schools, players at sec, players at bama etc. Those are types I'm talking about, guys that are basically just doing their 3 years till they can get drafted

That's a bad analogy

Medical school is the nfl

For undergrad you can go anywhere you want, with any degree, in almost any country

You'll be allowed to earn money while you go to school. You have options

Just look at the differences I posted between sports

To say there isnt a monopoly farm system in place is just people who dont want it to change because they like it the way it is.
It’s been tried hasn’t it in a way?

It sucks that these college students can't go to parties and bars like usual, but if they really want to play, they are going to have to sacrifice. Unfortunately, personal responsibility and discipline are not well taught these days

Pro athletes are taking chances whether it means leaving the bubble (nba) or living outside of it (mlb) so how can we expect 19-23 yr old kids to be discipline when the pros cannot even do it (some of them)

Pro athletes are taking chances whether it means leaving the bubble (nba) or living outside of it (mlb) so how can we expect 19-23 yr old kids to be discipline when the pros cannot even do it (some of them)

I think that's it. The personal responsibility needed here isn't being modeled very well. The consistent lowering of expectations on society is part of the reason we have such a void of leadership in all areas of life

I think that's it. The personal responsibility needed here isn't being modeled very well. The consistent lowering of expectations on society is part of the reason we have such a void of leadership in all areas of life

I agree; not my swim lane but I am still not seeing how college football teams are going to handle outbreaks and how they can expect to prevent them. I mean 80-100 kids over the span of 12 weeks....outbreaks need to be expected and handled accordingly without shutting down the season. Not sure there is the mental capacity on hand to address the tough issues here. All people want is their money.

UConn canceled their football season, first FBS team to do so.

Not a bad idea for them. They don't belong to conference so have nothing to play for a title, and have no chance at a bowl because they aren't any good. They don't make any money since there is no conference share of revenue for them so they are probably better off cancelling now

Harbaugh and Day are ready to drop gloves right now after bitching at each other on the Big 10 Conference call. And Day promised his team they were going to hang 100 on Michigan.

Harbaugh and Day are ready to drop gloves right now after bitching at each other on the Big 10 Conference call. And Day promised his team they were going to hang 100 on Michigan.

They already basically hang a 100 every year on Michigan.

Why can’t these other Conferences get a TV deal.
Make their games be Monday-Friday.
It’s a win win.

You would get exposure. TV $.

I mean when Mich Vs Ohio St Or Vols Vs Bama are on Sat. Why would I wanna watch MTSU Vs Marshall?

But if MTSU vs ODU were on say Friday Night or Tuesday. I would absolutely watch.

SEC full contact practices start Aug 17th
2 days off per week
Only 25 practices before 1st game for ALL SEC teams

Big 12 seems lost. OU still slated to play Mizzu State on 8/29 just three weeks from now and haven't even put on pads??

I think the Big 12 is solid and will start games either the last week of Sept or first week of August. Once they decide, Oklahoma will slot the Mizzou State game a couple of weeks ahead of their conference opener.

I hate to see the MAC fold it's tent, but I'm more optimistic today there will be a season than I was a few weeks ago. I'm 80-20 we'll have a season. A strange looking season, but still a season.

I won't be surprised to see a lot of P-5 games moved to the Thursday and Friday slots this year.

Why can’t these other Conferences get a TV deal.
Make their games be Monday-Friday.
It’s a win win.

You would get exposure. TV $.

I mean when Mich Vs Ohio St Or Vols Vs Bama are on Sat. Why would I wanna watch MTSU Vs Marshall?

But if MTSU vs ODU were on say Friday Night or Tuesday. I would absolutely watch.
Vols vs Bama is about a 4 TD spread but I get your point. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back