Coaching Carousel

Interesting that you guys think the books will overvalue leech. That thought never occurred to me. I figured most already know his deal by now. Not like people were running to the window to bet wazzou as a dog vs Air Force.

I'm very excited about the hire. Staff will be very important for defense and recruiting sake, but we are increasing our assistant salary pool by almost 2M. It's a huge turnaround for fan support because it had gotten to the worse I've ever seen it under Moorhead. We are talking about going from an empty stadium opener next year to a sellout. He's been successful everywhere he has been and this isn't the SEC of early 2000's. Defenses aren't what they used to be and I think he will have a lot of success. He runs a hard-nosed program which is exactly what we need after the "buddy-buddy" shitshow that Moorhead was running. Defensive hires and coaches with southern ties will be critical, but I think we will get it done.

I'm very excited about the hire. Staff will be very important for defense and recruiting sake, but we are increasing our assistant salary pool by almost 2M. It's a huge turnaround for fan support because it had gotten to the worse I've ever seen it under Moorhead. We are talking about going from an empty stadium opener next year to a sellout. He's been successful everywhere he has been and this isn't the SEC of early 2000's. Defenses aren't what they used to be and I think he will have a lot of success. He runs a hard-nosed program which is exactly what we need after the "buddy-buddy" shitshow that Moorhead was running. Defensive hires and coaches with southern ties will be critical, but I think we will get it done.
Good to hear. I like the positive thoughts and totally agree on the bolded point.

On recruiting, he's walking into a perfect situation considering we signed all 23 of our commits in the early signing period, with most of the headliners enrolling early. Can't remember a coaching change with less recruiting turnover than this one. Going forward, Leach will have access to the most talented recruiting pool that he's ever had. Just in-state next year, there are four 4-start WR's. I'm hearing that he's keeping a few of our strong southern recruiters.

I think he was a great hire. True his defenses are never very good but I would assume he will have access to far better athletes than any his previous stops.

I don’t really understand the recruiting stuff like lot of guys around here but I would think skill position kids would love to play in his offense. look at what he has done for bunch of not very highly thought of QBs! If I’m a top wr talent I’d want to play for him knowing how many targets are available!!! Can’t do anything but rise your stock if playing at the next level is your goal. Maybe I’m off base but seems to me his offense would be very intriguing for kids and he in a talent rich location.

Look at Texas tech record inside the big 12 with him then without him. Great hire imo.

Kingsbury who obviously thought of pretty highly in some circles couldn’t sniff the big-12 record leach did at tech.

I'm surprised at the dissing of Leach on this thread.

I have no idea where it comes from because it is definitely not based on facts. No coach has ever done a better job at two have-not programs than Leach did at Texas Tech and Wash St.

This is a home run for Mississippi State and the fans know it.

The downside for Leach is that he is in the toughest division in football now. Monster teams game after game. The upside is he is a state loaded with talent and will have better players than he's ever had, especially on defense.

I think he is going to get a lot of talent from the transfer portal as well.

I'm ready for next season right now!

I have no idea where it comes from because it is definitely not based on facts. No coach has ever done a better job at two have-not programs than Leach did at Texas Tech and Wash St.

This is a home run for Mississippi State and the fans know it.

The downside for Leach is that he is in the toughest division in football now. Monster teams game after game. The upside is he is a state loaded with talent and will have better players than he's ever had, especially on defense.

I think he is going to get a lot of talent from the transfer portal as well.

I'm ready for next season right now!

Did you happen to catch the second half of Wazzou/UCLA this year? Bowl game against colorado state a few years back? Bowl games in general?

This guy does some pretty off the wall shit. And not in a good way.

And that's not even getting into his behavior and personality flaws which clearly wear on players and people involved with the program.

Last edited:
Yes, I saw both those games, Ali. At least I saw them if they were on TV. I never miss watching any game Leach is coaching if it's on TV and I haven't for years. But so waht?

I also saw him beat Oregon (twice), USC, Stanford (twice), and Utah the last two years. I watched him routinely beat the other Pac-12 second tier teams who, even though they are second tier, still have more resources than he did at Wazzou. I saw what had been an empty Wash St stadium for years packed for game after game. I read the stories that detailed how the student body turned out in record numbers. I saw him make Washington State a feared team.

Now I notice Mississippi State just made him the highest paid coach in Bulldog history and the fans and alums are in a state of Euphoria.

This was a home run for Mississippi State and everyone knows it.

If anyone doubts what a great hire this was take a look at this video.

Leach's arrival at Starkville. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was equal to the arrival of Elvis back in his day. Huge welcome line at the plane, then fans yelling and jumping and stretching their hands through the fence just to touch him. What it must have felt like to Lord Nelson when he returned to London after Trafalger and was applauded the rest of his life anytime he appeared in public.

I can't remember any coach ever getting this kind of reception.

Did you happen to catch the second half of Wazzou/UCLA this year? Bowl game against colorado state a few years back? Bowl games in general?

This guy does some pretty off the wall shit. And not in a good way.

And that's not even getting into his behavior and personality flaws which clearly wear on players and people involved with the program.

Results speak for themselves. Nobody else has come close to his record in big-12 play at tech. I don’t know bout wazzu but guessing he did as well as anyone else has in recent history there as well.

Leach's arrival at Starkville. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was equal to the arrival of Elvis back in his day. Huge welcome line at the plane, then fans yelling and jumping and stretching their hands through the fence just to touch him. What it must have felt like to Lord Nelson when he returned to London after Trafalger and was applauded the rest of his life anytime he appeared in public.

That's me at the 1:54 mark, who's fist he grabs and the one screaming "MIKE! MIKE!" haha

Yes, I saw both those games, Ali. At least I saw them if they were on TV. I never miss watching any game Leach is coaching if it's on TV and I haven't for years. But so waht?

I also saw him beat Oregon (twice), USC, Stanford (twice), and Utah the last two years. I watched him routinely beat the other Pac-12 second tier teams who, even though they are second tier, still have more resources than he did at Wazzou. I saw what had been an empty Wash St stadium for years packed for game after game. I read the stories that detailed how the student body turned out in record numbers. I saw him make Washington State a feared team.

Now I notice Mississippi State just made him the highest paid coach in Bulldog history and the fans and alums are in a state of Euphoria.

This was a home run for Mississippi State and everyone knows it.

I dunno how anyone can doubt it? They actually gave themselves a chance to be competitive and interesting for a change. Egg bowl has just taken over nfl for thanksgiving night! I already watched that over the 3rd nfl game of the day most years anyways but now it has makings of some exciting games!! Anyone who likes points should love it that for sure:

@frattycapper22, this may be more of an offseason question or discussion, but can you give me a rundown of your QB depth chart? I wouldn’t think Shrader fits the system very well. Will Leach need to jump into the transfer market right away?

But so waht?

Well, I guess it depends on how much you value competent/non-insane in-game coaching decisions. Winning bowl games, big games, beating rivals, etc.

I think he's fine for a lower tier school in a lower tier conference and can certainly bring a level of success at a place far, far away from the national spotlight.

I think it's interesting that despite his success none of the big boy schools ever come calling (from a 2018 USA Today column “Within the college athletics industry, he is widely regarded as a ticking time bomb of embarrassment.”) Well, perhaps that's why. And again, it's just a matter of how important that kind of stuff is to you.

Also find it interesting when you have a state senator tweeting about what a POS the guy is. And interesting that you have a school like Wazzou with relatively minimal prior success yet they seem ok with showing him the door. Perhaps they grew a bit tired by his obnoxious commentary where he continually dumps on his own players and takes zero responsibility for anything?

I'm not sure the "Leach is a home run hire and everyone knows it" comment is valid. You're well entitled to feel that way but projecting your opinions onto an entire planet of people isn't a great argumentative approach. A simple google search will yield scores of criticism of Leach as a coach and person.

A state senator? On a serious thread we are actually going to pay the slightest attention to WTF a state senator thinks?

Boy, that will make the folks at Miss State think twice.

Perfect spot for an old saying: The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.

Last edited:
@frattycapper22, this may be more of an offseason question or discussion, but can you give me a rundown of your QB depth chart? I wouldn’t think Shrader fits the system very well. Will Leach need to jump into the transfer market right away?

System isn't perfect for Shrader but he's got the arm to be successful in it, in my opinion. Shrader got hurt in his 2Q of play and played injured the rest of the way through. I think he can definitely adjust the system with 8 months of work. He's a smart kid and hard worker. I think he can be accurate enough to succeed.

A state senator? On a serious thread we are actually going to pay the slightest attention to WTF a state senator thinks?

Boy, that will make the folks at Miss State think twice.

Yes cause that was the biggest takeaway from my long post...sheesh. Was just a funny anecdote to show how toxic this guy's personality is.

Perhaps Miss St wont care that the guy pisses off absolutely everyone he comes into contact with but the fans will probably care when they go 1-7 in rivalry games, suffer humiliating bowl losses, etc. But as you've stated those kinds of things don't really matter...so I guess that's that. As long as Leach keeps the zany ramblings coming then it's all good.

Last edited:

Brady is leaving LSU to go to the Carolina Panthers. I fully expect this to be a one year deal with him becoming a head coach after next season.

Really risky hire. I’d obviously love him at LSU. Gotta strike while hot. I’ve always said, the NFL was his game.
Didn’t think he would be OC this quick.
Big big hire. Has to be youngest ever huh?
I barely knew which hand to jerk off with at 30

Really risky hire. I’d obviously love him at LSU. Gotta strike while hot. I’ve always said, the NFL was his game.
Didn’t think he would be OC this quick.
Big big hire. Has to be youngest ever huh?
I barely knew which hand to jerk off with at 30

Why is this a risky hire. The job Brady did at LSU was nothing short of incredible. I think a bunch of college programs made a big mistake not hiring him as a head coach now.

Better to hire a guy a year early than risk missing out altogether. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with the LSU offense next year without Brady and Burrow.

Why is this a risky hire. The job Brady did at LSU was nothing short of incredible. I think a bunch of college programs made a big mistake not hiring him as a head coach now.

Better to hire a guy a year early than risk missing out altogether. It’s going to be interesting to see what happens with the LSU offense next year without Brady and Burrow.
This was the move. What possibly makes you think it’s a mistake by college teams?

He has never recruited in his life. The layers to a college coaching job, a big one anyway, are thick as a motherfucker

Washington State hired the Hawaii coach. He did a great job at Hawaii, and I'm not sure but what Hawaii is a better job.

His career could easily die in Pullman but I think getting onto the mainland and into a P5 conference is a good thing.

If he can keep things afloat and go .500 or better he'll have bigger programs calling.

Bobby Petrino is back in football. Named head coach at Missouri State. An FCS school, but they're in the Missouri Valley Conference, a powerhouse conference so tough a lot of FBS schools would have trouble winning games, let alone win the conference.

Some of the schools in the the MVC are N Dakota State, Northern Iowa, Illinois State, S Dakota State, Youngstown State, and Southern Illinois.

I never did hear an explanation of how things suddenly fell completely apart at Louisville, but Petrino has proved he can coach. Never proved he was as good as Art Briles, but never had the disaster Briles did either. I'd like to see Briles get back into coaching at an FCS school. Maybe he's learned his lesson

I have no idea where it comes from because it is definitely not based on facts.

Late to the party on this.

Good offensive mind but prone to idiocy and mind-boggling calls on the field. Has a holier-than-thou opinion of himself and it translates to some real stupidity on the field.

Off the field, certainly does his best to win the pressers and often does with the cute comments and anecdotes. But never misses an opportunity in the pressers to throw someone under the bus, except the head coach. (Witness the post-game after that UCLA debacle a couple months back.)

I just look at Leach now as someone who will be competitive in quite a few games but will inevitably figure out new ways to lose games and even newer ways to blame someone other than himself.

No Burrow, no Aranda, no Brady. Let's see what ya got Ed...

It's actually pretty funny to listen to SC fans now blasting Pat Haden for apparently letting the next Knute Rockne walk out their door...the revisionist history here is pretty insane.
On your last point, it sure is.

I think its pretty obvious that Orgeron needs top coordinators in order to be successful but I think you can say the same thing about Dabo as well. Lets remember that neither one of them has ever been a coordinator.

I think its pretty obvious that Orgeron needs top coordinators in order to be successful but I think you can say the same thing about Dabo as well. Lets remember that neither one of them has ever been a coordinator.
How does Clemson hold on to Ven? He just has no desire to try it?

Back