Coaching Carousel

His health issues couldn't have helped. I thought they got a ton better over the course of this season. That should be a decent job for someone to step into.

I agree. Appears to be Tony Alford’s job to lose. Should rival Boise State in recruiting every year if that is the case.

And there should be a statue in Lawrence for it.

Kansas, that's Kansas, went 12-1, won an Orange Bowl and beat the almighty Beamer to do so.

You can talk about any/all the jaw dropping things that have happened in CFB over the last several decades but few top that.
Wonderfully said.

“Dollar signs”- Mark Mangino

Kiffin to Ole Miss makes a lot more sense IMO. I guess Rich Rod as OC prolly wouldn’t work. Ole Miss has 2 young QBs that none of the SEC West want to see utilized and developed correctly. If Kiffin does go to Arkansas he won’t be there long.
Ole Miss finalizing deal with Kiffin, sources say

Lane Kiffin is zeroing in on a return to the SEC.

Sources told ESPN that Ole Miss is finalizing a deal with Kiffin, currently in his third year at Florida Atlantic, to be the Rebels' next head coach. They hope to announce Kiffin as early as Saturday.

The former Tennessee head coach and Alabama offensive coordinator has the Owls in their second Conference USA championship game on Saturday. They won the league title in 2017 in Kiffin's first season in Boca Raton. The Ole Miss job would be the fifth different head coaching job for Kiffin, who just turned 44 earlier this year.

Who would’ve thunk it! What a pain in the ass for SEC West Defensive Coordinators. I sure hope he doesn’t find a competent DC to join him. Talk about a young talented nightmare opponent for the next several years. Summa Beach. What impact will this have on FAU tomorrow? Was leaning hard to UAB and the points.

Georgia OL coach Sam Pittman hired at Arkansas

He was OL coach under Bielema so he at least knows what he's getting into trying to resurrect the Razorbacks. It seems a stretch to me that a 58-year old guy who never had a head coaching job in his life is suddenly going to bloom into a head coach at at that age, but they know him from when he was an assistant there so maybe they see something special.

I have no idea what strategy might work at Arkansas. It's almost impossible for them to ever get the athletes to slug it out in the trenches, as Bielems proved.

Now LSU and Bama have opened up their offenses to join Auburn as wide open teams and aTm is not far behind, so even if Arkansas could get the players to run a system like that--which is almost impossible for them to do--it won't be anything new to SEC coaches.

Last edited:
Drinkwitz moves from App State to Missouri.

Not well known and only the one year at App State as a head coach, but at least he has that one year, which is more than Pittman (Ark) has had.

I always prefer a guy who has at least proved he can handle the job of head coach.

Drinkwitz took over a good program, but when a new coach comes in and the team improves it at least proves he knows what he's doing. And NC State took a nosedive when he left there to go to App State so I can see there's a chance this guy could be pretty good.

Last edited:
Georgia OL coach Sam Pittman hired at Arkansas

He was OL coach under Bielema so he at least knows what he's getting into trying to resurrect the Razorbacks. It seems a stretch to me that a 58-year old guy who never had a head coaching job in his life is suddenly going to bloom into a head coach at at that age, but they know him from when he was an assistant there so maybe they see something special.

I have no idea what strategy might work at Arkansas. It's almost impossible for them to ever get the athletes to slug it out in the trenches, as Bielems proved.

Now LSU and Bama have opened up their offenses to join Auburn as wide open teams and aTm is not far behind, so even if Arkansas could get the players to run a system like that--which is almost impossible for them to do--it won't be anything new to SEC coaches.

This hire screams complete desperation. Arkansas should have made a play for Joe Brady.

This hire screams complete desperation. Arkansas should have made a play for Joe Brady.
They can make the play all they want

Really never saw Brady leaving this year

Nfl eventually

Y’all realize he has never recruited right?

Nfl eventually

That's why I always thought the NFL would come calling soon. Is he going to get a huge raise and a new title? Might not know for sure where he'll be until after the NFL regular season

That's why I always thought the NFL would come calling soon. Is he going to get a huge raise and a new title? Might not know for sure where he'll be until after the NFL regular season
Huge raise supposedly been done

Nfl eventually

To clarify what you meant. BRADY has never recruited. Pittman sure as hell has, and he's one of the best around. Speaking of which, Jeff Scott is moving from Clemson to USF to take the HC job.

Couldn’t blame Brady had Arkansas come calling but he’s even more unproven than Pittman. He was never going to be a realistic candidate for P5 openings.

What kind of boost is Orgeron going to get? He's one of the lowest paid in conference right? I know he'd work for next to nothing for LSU, but his agent won't. Have to think he gets at least Malzahn money

Nfl eventually

I don't care if he has ever recruited. He can go into any kids home and talk about what he has done for the LSU offense and just as importantly tell every potential QB recruit how he turned Burrows from a possible late round draft pick into a heisman winner and probable number one overall draft pick.

I don't understand how an SEC program can hire a 58 year old that has never even been a coordinator. Maybe Brady would have turned Arkansas down and yes he is a bit of a risk due to his age and lack of experience but I would never hire a 58 year old that has never even been considered good enough to be an offensive coordinator. Clearly Arkansas is not a well run program and I would be shocked if this hire ends up working out.

Story going around from people who are insiders at Arkansas is that both Norvell and Harsin declined interviews. Probably a few others did too.

I'd say so far Ole Miss has the best hire, Missouri seconds, and Arkansas, as they have so much recently, bringing up the rear.

I think the powers that be at Arkansas vastly overestimated the level of interest in the job.

Wow....did Mizzou hire Drinkwitz? I mean, the guy was only at App State for 1 year and couldn't possibly have screwed up what Satterfield had going. An OC at NC State 12 months ago, barely a year of head coaching experience, no evidence that he can build a roster, seems desperate.

Wow....did Mizzou hire Drinkwitz? I mean, the guy was only at App State for 1 year and couldn't possibly have screwed up what Satterfield had going. An OC at NC State 12 months ago, barely a year of head coaching experience, no evidence that he can build a roster, seems desperate.
Gotta be a flier on a young guy trying to catch lightning at a bargain

Right?

This is how I envision the Missouri Coaching Search went:

AD: "ok, we fired Odom. We need a coach now. Give me a suggestion!"

Mizzou Stooge: "Well, most teams look at Group of 5 coaches"

AD: "Ok, who is the best Group of 5 team?"

Stooge: "Memphis"

AD: "ok, hire that guy"

Stooge: FSU got him already

AD: DAMMIT! Ok, who won CUSA?

STOOGE: FAU

AD: "Oh yeah, Kiffin!! Everybody suddenly thinks it's ok to hire him again. Hire him!

Stooge: "Ole Miss got him"

AD: "DAMMIT!!!! who’s the next best G5 team?"

Stooge: "Appy State but their coach has only been there for 1 year and he’s never......"

AD: "HIRE HIM NOW!!!!!!!"

Got offered the job. Got offered the CSU job also. Not expected to take either one.

He's the highest paid assistant in football. If he's smart he won't leave that job for a have-not school.

Got offered the job. Got offered the CSU job also. Not expected to take either one.

He's the highest paid assistant in football. If he's smart he won't leave that job for a have-not school.

You'd think so, but I wonder if the market for a defensive minded HC is much smaller than for offensive assistants? So if he wants to be a HC, he'll have to go somewhere small and prove himself? Also probably smarter to look at G5 schools that are already decent or have good resources and patience, rather than take a job where you are destined for failure like Arkansas

He can’t possibly want more money.....tough time, especially with LSU crootin this year and this very moment.

But if that was even close to his/agent’s play.
I hope LSU would let him walk

Good point, gps_3. I think it's true schools lean toward offensive assistants. I don't agree they are any better than assistants on the D-side, but schools seem to prefer offensive guys.

Just understanding how to evaluate a job is as important to a guy who wants to move up to head coaching is as important as the coaching part.

I still recall when Mike Stoops was the hottest coaching prospect in the country and instead of waiting for the right job jumped at the Arizona job. We know now he is not the brightest guy around, but that decision was dumb even for him.

I realize good jobs don't open every week, but Arizona or Arkansas or any job in a state where you have to recruit from other states in order to compete is a career killer.

Aranda is better off staying put unless a good job opens up and I think he's smart enough to know it.

Good point, gps_3. I think it's true schools lean toward offensive assistants. I don't agree they are any better than assistants on the D-side, but schools seem to prefer offensive guys.

Just understanding how to evaluate a job is as important to a guy who wants to move up to head coaching is as important as the coaching part.

I still recall when Mike Stoops was the hottest coaching prospect in the country and instead of waiting for the right job jumped at the Arizona job. We know now he is not the brightest guy around, but that decision was dumb even for him.

I realize good jobs don't open every week, but Arizona or Arkansas or any job in a state where you have to recruit from other states in order to compete is a career killer.

Aranda is better off staying put unless a good job opens up and I think he's smart enough to know it.

Bottom-tier P5 programs are probably better off hiring homegrown coaches. Guys who know both the program/school and the area. And they should give much longer leashes as long as the team is improving

Ryan Silverfield promoted to head coach at Memphis. Was OL coach, ace recruiter, and unofficial assistant head coach. Strong support from current players and past Memphis stars helped the school to consider him and they hired him today

Last edited:
Back