Coaching Carousel

Barry Odom to Arkansas as DC. Looks like a good hire to me.

Third ex-head coach to join the SEC as a coordinator in the last week (Bobo to S Caro as OC, Chad Morris to Auburn as OC)

Penn State offensive coordinator Ricky Rahne, who has been by James Franklin’s side for the past nine years, is striking out on his own to become the head coach at Old Dominion.

The university announced Rahne’s hiring Monday. Rahne will be introduced Wednesday in Norfolk, Virginia.

Penn State has not announced an interim coordinator for the Dec. 28 Cotton Bowl against Memphis. Franklin will be hiring his fourth coordinator since taking the job in 2014.

Story going around from people who are insiders at Arkansas is that both Norvell and Harsin declined interviews. Probably a few others did too.

I'd say so far Ole Miss has the best hire, Missouri seconds, and Arkansas, as they have so much recently, bringing up the rear.

I don’t know enough about mizzou hire. Apparently he knows offense which is nice. Also heard he wasn’t even on the initial list of 3 the ad turned into whatever board makes these final decisions, so that kinda makes ppl go “hmmmm, so he wasn’t in top 3 choices? Why not?”, lol. He very young Isn’t he? The way I see it he can’t be worse than the last guy! A innovative offense will make him light years better than that clown!!

Worth noting, Minnesota OC to PSU as OC but wont call plays obviously Saturday. Minnesota just found out on Xmas so quick adjustment game week. PSU will have TE coach calling plays. Beliveve Fleck will call plays for Minny. This is a big loss for Minny, especially the week of the game against one of the best defenses in the country. Nice pickup for PSU, word is they were moving on from their OC anyway.

I like PSU and Auburn to roll in the respective games.

I know
This has probably been noted, but why do this after signing days?
I know why, but those kids get fucked kinda

I understand how easy it is for a guy like Peterson to burn out. Head coach at a major program is pressure 24/365, and every coach I've heard discuss it says the high from winning is never close to the lows of losing. Not many guys can do it, which is why the few who can are worth a fortune.

You can see the effect it has on coaches. Saban looked tired all year. Even his posture showed it. Same with Urban last year, and Peterson did not look healthy to me this year.

Some guys step away and never come back, but I suspect Peterson will be back. Might even be at USC at some point.

I've always felt the two hardest jobs in the world are Mafia kingpin and football coach. Both will kill you if you do them long enough

Heard BC fired their coach. Not sure anyone can do any better at BC Addazio did. Ole Miss coach deserved to be fired after that incident the other night. Two years ago they get a penalty at Miss State for the exact same thing and now a moron is so intent on showing off he does it again, except it is more costly this time. Then Luke comes out and sounds like a moron himself in explaining how it happened. But no one is going to do a better job than he did at Ole Miss.

Ole Miss, Arkansas, and Mizzou all fire coaches from jobs where it is impossible to succeed. Makes no sense, but I guess the schools have to pretend things will improve.

Define success? Pinkel did a fine job at mizzou, Odem came along and made it a disaster., sure they not gonna compete for championships but no reason they can’t be 8-10 win team and go to decent bowls some years. They should be able to occasionally beat a top 25 school. Sec has bunch of junk in bottom half they should beat and don’t think anyone is asking for more than occasional upset of one the top sec teams.

I don't care if he has ever recruited. He can go into any kids home and talk about what he has done for the LSU offense and just as importantly tell every potential QB recruit how he turned Burrows from a possible late round draft pick into a heisman winner and probable number one overall draft pick.

I don't understand how an SEC program can hire a 58 year old that has never even been a coordinator. Maybe Brady would have turned Arkansas down and yes he is a bit of a risk due to his age and lack of experience but I would never hire a 58 year old that has never even been considered good enough to be an offensive coordinator. Clearly Arkansas is not a well run program and I would be shocked if this hire ends up working out.

Seems like it be a pretty damn good pitch to say look at burrow/LSU offense before and after. Isn’t recruiting mostly just bribing kids anyways? Guess it also good to have high school coaches in your pockets.

Define success? Pinkel did a fine job at mizzou, Odem came along and made it a disaster., sure they not gonna compete for championships but no reason they can’t be 8-10 win team and go to decent bowls some years. They should be able to occasionally beat a top 25 school. Sec has bunch of junk in bottom half they should beat and don’t think anyone is asking for more than occasional upset of one the top sec teams.

Get st louis kids to stay home and you'll be in good shape at missouri.

And there should be a statue in Lawrence for it.

Kansas, that's Kansas, went 12-1, won an Orange Bowl and beat the almighty Beamer to do so.

You can talk about any/all the jaw dropping things that have happened in CFB over the last several decades but few top that.

I agree it was an awesome story that year but please consider that in 2007 sone crazy stuff happened. Many of you will recall.that it was a completely whacky year. The year started out with 28 pt dog app state winning straight up at michigan. All kinds of crazy upsets followed. South Florida and Rutgers were top teams. I believe USF made it all the way to #2 at one point in the middle of the season. 41 pt underdog Stamford won at USC. 25 pt fave WVA lost at home to Pittsburgh and it cost them at a chance to play in the bcs title game. And dont forget that 2 loss LSU became the first 2 loss team to ever play in a natl title game let alone win it.

My point is that it was one of the craziest years in recent history. In my 30+ years following the sport very closely, I haven't sent anything like it.

I think that has to be considered when looking at the KU season and final record.

To boot: KU 2007 avoided the top two teams from the big 12 south that year: 11 win OU and 10 win texas. The best team bu far that they played was 11 win mizzu and they lost. The rest of their sched was pretty weak.

UNLV announced last week Kasey Dunnm, the WR coach at Oklahoma State who has worked miracles for at least a decade turning unheralded WRs into stars. would be joining the program as OC. This weekend he was back at Oklahoma State and no further mention of UNLV.

At the same time Sean Gleeson, the OC at Oklahoma State, left after one year to be OC for Schiano at Rutgers. No announcement from Ok State, but sounds to me like they sweetened the pot for Dunn when the OC left. But rumors are they will still hire an OC

Absolutely was not in love with the Norvell hire, but I must say that I have been impressed with the moves he has made since hitting campus.

Boy, I hate to see Rocky Long retire.

That guy was a money machine from the time he took over at SDS.

Not surprised Matt Rhule left Baylor for the NFL. He worked miracles at Baylor, but he was always going to be playing into the wind in the Big 12. Haven't heard even rumors on what Baylor will do now, but it's not likely they will find anyone as good as Rhule

Not surprised Matt Rhule left Baylor for the NFL. He worked miracles at Baylor, but he was always going to be playing into the wind in the Big 12. Haven't heard even rumors on what Baylor will do now, but it's not likely they will find anyone as good as Rhule

Hugh Freeze?

The rumor is he isn’t retiring . The Ad wanted him to fire the OC and he refused . He will be a DC for a power 5 team , Syracuse is floating around

That's good news. He'll do a great job as DC wherever he goes. And The Cuse definitely needs a DC like him.

Freeze to Baylor? No, no, please. They just had to clean house of guys who spouted off bible verses at every opportunity just like Freeze does, and they were all twisted inside just like Freeze is. I can't see them making that mistake again.

Great. The idiotic cultists in Texas will now only have a 1/4 of the way to drive and see a coach's team score 7 TDs and still figure out how to lose a game.

Great news for Mississippi State and the SEC. The SEC was already the most entertaining and interesting conference and this just makes it even more so.

The SEC teams were already opening up their offenses and this is going to accelerate the trend.

As usual, he'll be at a have-not school going up against the haves, but he'll get better talent at Miss State than he was ever able to get to come to Texas Tech or Wazzou.

And I can't wait for the Egg Bowl rivalry now that Kiffin is at Ole Miss. I predict it will be bigger than it ever has been

Last edited:
Great news for Mississippi State and the SEC. The SEC was already the most entertaining and interesting conference and this just makes it even more so.

The SEC teams were already opening up their offenses and this is going to accelerate the trend.

As usual, he'll be at a have-not school going up against the haves, but he'll get better talent at Miss State than he was ever able to get to come to Texas Tech or Wazzou.

And I can't wait for the Egg Bowl rivalry now that Kiffin is at Ole Miss. I predict it will be bigger than it ever has been
I might GO to the Egg Bowl brother....

Leach is entertaining as hell, and I’m glad that there are guys like him to add some spice to the sport. However, I think State is going to find out that he’s best enjoyed from afar and as someone else’s head coach.

Not if you're a never-was like Miss State. Ask the fans at Texas Tech and Wazzou.

Save a seat at the Egg Bowl, Twinkie. The games between Kiffin and Leach are going to be classics.

Leach is always his best when's he's a dog at home at night against one of the pretty boy schools and there's some wild nights coming up in Starkville.

I can hear the cowbells now

This will go poorly.

Oh yeah, it will. BUT...the name Leach alone is going to give some MAJOR overvalue to whatever they start to hang Cowbell RSW and/or early season numbers for early next year. They are dead on TOP of my fade list right now in anticipation for next year. Guy has coached in 2 leagues P12 and B12 with zero defense. Night and fucking day.

Sign me up on the fade train...

What are your thoughts on the hire @frattycapper22 ... I know I saw a few things on the tweeters that you put out there last night ...(I'm assuming you are a messy st guy).

Back