Coaching Carousel Thread -- Updated

The story I hear about Auburn is that Malzahn has been told if he wants to keep his job he has to reduce the buyout amount on his contract.

If he does that he will be allowed to continue to coach.

If he were my client I would tell him. "don't even think of reducing that buyout." He cant trust Auburn. They may turn around and fire him an hour later. No coach can trust Auburn for an instant.

Auburn is the worst coaching job in the country. One of the hardest schedules in the country every year, playing in the hardest division of the hardest conference, they will never even be the best program within their own state no matter who is coach, but fans will revolt if they lose even one game.

Their division just got harder with Jimbo arriving at aTm, but if by chance you do get through the schedule undefeated you always get to play Georgia and Alabama the last two games. Even if you beat them both as Auburn did last year you still get no credit. If you go undefeated and beat both those teams and lose the the national title by one point in OT most of the fans and all the suits at the university want you fired.

There's only one strategy to use at Auburn if you are a coach. Hold them up for the biggest contract you can get and be prepared for some of the regents to start trying to fire you the day after the first game you coach.

Hold them to the contract, Gus. They will fire you no matter what so take the money and get a job at a university where people are sane.

Here's how insane the Auburn bunch is. They think they can fire Gus and replace him with Bob Stoops. Truly demented. Crazy even for the Auburn goobers. For one thing Oklahoma is a far, far better job than Auburn. For another, Oklahoma fans are spoiled, but not demented like Auburn.

For another, and even more important reason, Bob stayed at Oklahoma all those years while he was getting offers from Fl;orida and the NFL and many others because he knows the most important thing a coach needs is a solid, professional university structure behind him. Stoops had the same president and same AD every year he was at Oklahoma. When he retired, no university had a president, an AD, and head football coach who had been together that long (17 years). And Bob had Joe Castiglione, probably the smartest and most professional AD in the country.

As soon as every season was over, good or less than good, they announced Stoops was getting a raise, the staff was getting a raise, whatever they thought would make Bob feel relaxed and able to concentrate on his job.

Compare that with the Auburn situation, the worst in football year after year. And has been for years. The regents at Auburn have been out of control for decades. Bob may return to coaching at some point, but if he takes the Auburn job we will know he has gone insane.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-down-texas-tech-talk/?utm_term=.d18852d463b7

Last edited:
Brohm stays. As I was saying...this wasn’t as obvious as Louisville and national media were trying to make it.

Last edited:
The story I hear about Auburn is that Malzahn has been told if he wants to keep his job he has to reduce the buyout amount on his contract.

If he does that he will be allowed to continue to coach.

If he were my client I would tell him. "don't even think of reducing that buyout." He cant trust Auburn. They may turn around and fire him an hour later. No coach can trust Auburn for an instant.

Auburn is the worst coaching job in the country. One of the hardest schedules in the country every year, playing in the hardest division of the hardest conference, they will never even be the best program within their own state no matter who is coach, but fans will revolt if they lose even one game.

Their division just got harder with Jimbo arriving at aTm, but if by chance you do get through the schedule undefeated you always get to play Georgia and Alabama the last two games. Even if you beat them both as Auburn did last year you still get no credit. If you go undefeated and beat both those teams and lose the the national title by one point in OT most of the fans and all the suits at the university want you fired.

There's only one strategy to use at Auburn if you are a coach. Hold them up for the biggest contract you can get and be prepared for some of the regents to start trying to fire you the day after the first game you coach.

Hold them to the contract, Gus. They will fire you no matter what so take the money and get a job at a university where people are sane.

I totally agree that Auburn is the worst big time job in college football. No matter what they do they will never be able to match Alabama and that alone means their fans will never be satisfied. I think Malzahn is a pretty good coach but I wonder why his offenses have been so bad after Cam went to the NFL.

Malzahn was a big time offensive coach as a coordinator and his previous head coaching stops. He is crazy if he lowers the buyout number; let them fire him and he will get hired right away at a less stressful place.

There are probably worse jobs in NCAAFB than AU, but it is definitely towards the bottom. They have the little brother syndrome. Constantly compared to AL by their own fans. I will say this, they are not afraid to open up the checkbook. So, that has to get them out of the bottom spot. FSU fans are just as bad as AU. The difference is, we are cheap and dumb. We got sold a bad bill of goods by Sexton. His client bolted for A&M (I don't blame him), only to get another client $5mil contract. Is Willie T worth that, Hell no. But we were duped by the best agent in the business. So, we are dumb to boot. $5mil would have got you a much better coach that at least had a winning lifetime record.

Supposedly Colorado will be hiring within a week. The 6 "to watch" are:

MATT WELLS
TOSH LUPOI
ERIC BIENIEMY
JIM LEAVITT
MEL TUCKER
JEFF TEDFORD

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- There will be another familiar face in the Kenan Football Center this coming season. Tim Brewster is coming back to UNC to join head coach Mack Brown's new staff, sources confirmed to Inside Carolina.

The story was first reported by Gigem247.
Brewster, 58, was Texas A&M's tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator under Jimbo Fisher in 2018. He was at Florida State in the same role from 2013-2017.

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- There will be another familiar face in the Kenan Football Center this coming season. Tim Brewster is coming back to UNC to join head coach Mack Brown's new staff, sources confirmed to Inside Carolina.

The story was first reported by Gigem247.
Brewster, 58, was Texas A&M's tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator under Jimbo Fisher in 2018. He was at Florida State in the same role from 2013-2017.
Basement Brew!!!!!

What a fucking clown this guy is. Amazing how long some people can ride other's coattails.

ESPN’s giant nerd Adam Rittenberg reported Wednesday afternoon that Los Angeles Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is a “top candidate,” and that Clemson OC Tony Elliott is also in the mix.

Whisenhunt is a GT grad, real smart but pretty weird to me.

Basement Brew!!!!!

What a fucking clown this guy is. Amazing how long some people can ride other's coattails.

Pretty well documented as a great recruiter so bringing him in as the TE coach and as part of the recruiting staff is a wise first move given the timing involved with regard to recruiting.

Tight ends coach Tim Brewster is set to take the same position on Mack Brown's new staff at North Carolina, according to 247Sports. The news comes only a couple of weeks before the 72-hour early signing period that opens on Dec. 19.

When Jimbo Fisher was hired as A&M's coach last year, he brought Brewster with him from Florida State. Brewster spent five seasons under Fisher and helped the Seminoles -- according to 247Sports.com's composite ranking -- gather the top recruiting classes in the ACC.

Pretty well documented as a great recruiter so bringing him in as the TE coach and as part of the recruiting staff is a wise first move given the timing involved with regard to recruiting.
Agree that you need good recruiting, but kids aren't going to come to UNC because of Tim Brewster. He worked at Texas and FSU. It's pretty easy to recruit to those schools. He couldn't recruit for shit at Minnesota. He can only recruit for big schools that get those recruits anyways. I mean, where else was Vince Young going to play besides Texas? He took ALL the credit for recruiting VY. My point is, it's a joke. The guy is a snake oil salesman.

Agree that you need good recruiting, but kids aren't going to come to UNC because of Tim Brewster. He worked at Texas and FSU. It's pretty easy to recruit to those schools. He couldn't recruit for shit at Minnesota. He can only recruit for big schools that get those recruits anyways. I mean, where else was Vince Young going to play besides Texas? He took ALL the credit for recruiting VY. My point is, it's a joke. The guy is a snake oil salesman.

Always refreshing to be able to have healthy debate and even a difference of opinion without things delving into insults and personal attacks, so thanks for the good discussion! :cheers3:

Mack Brown hit the recruiting trail for the first time as North Carolina's head coach on Wednesday evening and his first stop was to see Kelly Bryant, his trainer Ramon Robinson confirmed to Inside Carolina.

At first blush, a handful of coaches make for easy dots to connect – Army coach Jeff Monken and Kennesaw State coach Brian Bohannon (both of whom coached for Johnson at Tech and have succeeded on their own), Appalachian State coach Scott Satterfield (46-16 in five seasons; Tech defensive coordinator Nate Woody worked for him), Clemson co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliott (named the nation’s top assistant coach in 2017) and one for the alumni – San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt (a teammate of Stansbury’s at Tech).

Mack Brown hit the recruiting trail for the first time as North Carolina's head coach on Wednesday evening and his first stop was to see Kelly Bryant, his trainer Ramon Robinson confirmed to Inside Carolina.

I think that sets bad precedent, besides the fact Bryant is overrated and egotistical.

Shortcuts baby.

This hire ain't going to work.

I've rendered my decision.

Story has been updated to say Dre Bly will coach corners (he’s at the university signing papers today, apparently) and that Thig will have the title co-defensive coordinator.

There will be CO-Defensive Coordinators in Chapel Hill

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – North Carolina head coach Mack Brown has tabbed Greg Robinson and Tommy Thigpen to be his co-defensive coordinators, according to multiple sources. The story was first reported by FootballScoop.

Thigpen, who will be working in a coordinator position for the first time in his 21 years as an assistant coach, will be aided by a veteran defensive mind in the twilight of his career. Both men have long histories with UNC’s new head coach.

Robinson, 67, coached with Brown at Texas as co-defensive coordinator in 2004 and as a replacement defensive coordinator starting two games into the 2013 season after starting the season as a team analyst. In between those two stints, Robinson was the head coach at Syracuse (2005-08), posting a 5-37 record, and defensive coordinator at Michigan (2009-10).

Ha! The idea USC has any interest in hiring a coach who is under .500 for his career is a good one.

KK may make a good OC, but I doubt he ever gets another head coaching job.

Why do you say that Johnny? Not trying to attack, but is it just because he is a good looking guy? Yeah, he failed at his first stint as a head coach, but it doesn’t mean he isn’t a gifted offensive coach. The guy is/will be highly coveted in both the college and professional ranks. The looks and “coach bro” stuff is way overrated and media driven in my opinion. Shit, with his looks and salary most of us here would’ve had so many scandals (Kiffin-style) and tmz-style write ups about us.

Side note. It really looks like it is going to be Matt Wells announced as Tech HC. Rumors are swirling around Lubbock and Message Boards that Dana Holgerson wanted the job and a meeting was scheduled for today in Atlanta, but was canceled by Kirby Holcutt (Techs AD).

RaiderRed. Awesome post.

I'm just trolling. He represents excitement and I think he is the real deal with it. Good point that he has no rumors that would suggest that he is anything but a respectable man. He future is glaringly bright.

I think Welks is a solid choice. Dana is a wildman, let that go.

Good Shit Johnny.

I don't know if I ever even heard Wells name until this season, but I'll trust in the AD that bought in Beard and Tadlock (baseball) to hire a football coach. The no ties to Texas/Lubbock thing scares me with recruiting, but it might be time to move on from the Leach tree. The Kingsbury thing did work out, but it seemed like the right hire at the time. It healed a fractured fanbase after the Leach to Tubberville debacle. Personally, I wanted Neal Brown from Troy, think that guy is outstanding.

RaiderRed. Awesome post.

I'm just trolling. He represents excitement and I think he is the real deal with it. Good point that he has no rumors that would suggest that he is anything but a respectable man. He future is glaringly bright.

I think Welks is a solid choice. Dana is a wildman, let that go.
A PJ to KK offensive shift would be a drastic one. It would take a couple of years just to get the right personnel/recruits.

When USC finally cleans house I expect them to clean house. Swann/Helton and all involved will likely be gone, bring the entire new era into play. Doubt Kliff is part of those plans although it would be entertaining to see it try to work

Why do you say that Johnny? Not trying to attack, but is it just because he is a good looking guy? Yeah, he failed at his first stint as a head coach, but it doesn’t mean he isn’t a gifted offensive
Good Shit Johnny.

I don't know if I ever even heard Wells name until this season, but I'll trust in the AD that bought in Beard and Tadlock (baseball) to hire a football coach. The no ties to Texas/Lubbock thing scares me with recruiting, but it might be time to move on from the Leach tree. The Kingsbury thing did work out, but it seemed like the right hire at the time. It healed a fractured fanbase after the Leach to Tubberville debacle. Personally, I wanted Neal Brown from Troy, think that guy is outstanding.

Oh man, you know more than me. I did just listen to SB podcast and those guys love Neal Brown and feel he is the diamond in the rough.

Malzahn would be great there

I can't see Whisenhunt being worth a shit at recruiting but then I said that about Herm and he surrounded himself with great recruiters

Malzahn would be great there

I can't see Whisenhunt being worth a shit at recruiting but then I said that about Herm and he surrounded himself with great recruiters

I think Whisenhunt is kind of like the alumnus every school has as a goto candidate by anonymous source. GT would regress faster than FSU with that type of hire, good god it would be weird

Like Jeff Fisher used to be, never happening

Back