CFB Rankings Week #4

I understand longing for the BCS....many of my friends do. And I want some tweaking done too.....not sure how yet, but yeah.
But CFB has never been more popular.
It is insanely popular....

You can't say it's insaley popular when the ratings blew major ass last New Years Eve for the FF games. Insanely popular would have equated to much higher ratings no matter what night it was or will be.

If only Alabama had played someone in the non-conference that people think is a good team

Before I answer back are you being serious as if you really played a good team or are you being funny? Giving you the benefit before I retort.

Before I answer back are you being serious as if you really played a good team or are you being funny? Giving you the benefit before I retort.

A little bit of both. I mean, we did schedule USC. Not really our fault Helton started the wrong guy at QB. But I've heard so many people talk about them as the team playing the best right now. Even if it is against a watered down Pac 12. The SEC is undoubtedly down this year, but I think Alabama is probably a top 4 team regardless of what conference they played in this season.

You can't say it's insaley popular when the ratings blew major ass last New Years Eve for the FF games. Insanely popular would have equated to much higher ratings no matter what night it was or will be.

Dude,

It was New Years Eve.

End of story.

Making it to the semi-finals is a pretty big financial reward...as far as I know.

And it's definitely a prestige thing for the schools that make it just as it is with making any big bowl.

Oh,

Until about 6-8 weeks ago that is all Sparty nation would be wearing was their 'College Football Playoff' shirts....even after getting ass-raped by Bama.

A little bit of both. I mean, we did schedule USC. Not really our fault Helton started the wrong guy at QB. But I've heard so many people talk about them as the team playing the best right now. Even if it is against a watered down Pac 12. The SEC is undoubtedly down this year, but I think Alabama is probably a top 4 team regardless of what conference they played in this season.
This. Look at the stats. Their defensive scores and TFL are insane.

Sounds like a 3 loss team that won't even play in their own conference championship game could be pushing for a top 6 spot this week

Bama needs to lose both of its next two games to miss the playoff. Not happening.

Better question is would an 10-2, SEC champ Florida sneak in with its final three wins of the year being: @LSU, @Florida St., Alabama (n). If we're assuming a 2-loss B1G champ gets in over a 1-loss Washington (I think they would), the question would be the pecking order between Wisky/PSU and UF.

Fortunately, we'll probably never have to answer that question. Better shot UF ends up 8-4 than 11-2.

Darnold isn't worth 50 points or whatever the margin of victory was in that game.

Would be a similar result today regardless of who lines up under center for SC.

SC is exactly what's wrong wth college football when it comes to rankings.

Started 1-3

Win 7 in a row and are now ranked 12th?! (We haven't seen what their new ranking will be after this 7th win in a row ...)

Yay, you beat an undefeated, overrated UDub team who had played nobody but at an above average Utah team. But, still, I understand why any school can get a bolster from that.

And, yea, I've heard idiots say they are playing the best of any team right now. If they didn't have SC written on their jerseys you wouldn't know them from Adam and they'd be ranked around 22 - 25 with all the same wins in that seven game winning streak.

But back to Alabama ... how could you not rank them 1? Only a moron wouldn't. I will, however, look forward to the Auburn game and the FF game. There are their tests. And, yea, they'll be heavily favored I'd imagine. Should be. They've earned it, but no one can say they've been tested. College football is down this year.

I acknowledged it was NYE. Numbers shouldn't have been that low. That was bad. College football final four in its first year should have been a lock no matter what night it was.

It was the 2nd year.

The first year did insane tv numbers. Better matchups and no NYE idiocy.

It was the 2nd year.

The first year did insane tv numbers. Better matchups and no NYE idiocy.

Wasn't a lot of pub as to questioning the NYE FF until the ratings came out. The two blow outs had something to do with it. Especially the whooping the Bams put on MSU.

You guys are all-in lock, stock and barrel on NYE being horrible without any other reason as to why else it could have been. Had these games been tighter throughout its entirety the ratings would have been higher.

One last question : Where did all the viewers go from the first year to the second? Did they all die? Nah. We can't expect all of them to have still been watching last year, but I'd bet you most were watching it somewhere. Maybe you can factor in a predetermined amount of people watching the game down at Down on Your Luck Bar and Grill in Detroit, MI, but you cannot factor in the numerous house parties going on all over the USA where 5/10/20/40 guys at one home where let's say three or four people live at had the game turned on in the Man Cave or out in the garage. It's impossible. Can't account for all that, but I'd imagine one of you will tell me exactly that. I'll wait.

Wasn't a lot of pub as to questioning the NYE FF until the ratings came out.

I distinctly recall everyone talking about how asinine it was.

And what could have been done about it? How about telling the Rose Bowl to go kick rocks...that was the snag with the whole deal IIRC. Everyone needed to watch Stanford beat the pants off a crap B1G team on New Year's Day at 4pm.

Last edited:
One last question : Where did all the viewers go from the first year to the second? Did they all die? Nah. We can't expect all of them to have still been watching last year, but I'd bet you most were watching it somewhere. Maybe you can factor in a predetermined amount of people watching the game down at Down on Your Luck Bar and Grill in Detroit, MI, but you cannot factor in the numerous house parties going on all over the USA where 5/10/20/40 guys at one home where let's say three or four people live at had the game turned on in the Man Cave or out in the garage. It's impossible. Can't account for all that, but I'd imagine one of you will tell me exactly that. I'll wait.

Bro, they(CFB) essentially admitted it was a shit show.....but CFB is NOT "slipping/declining"....
Not even close....

And what could have been done about it? How about telling the Rose Bowl to go kick rocks...that was the snag with the whole deal IIRC. Everyone needed to watch Stanford beat the pants off a crap B1G team on New Year's Day at 4pm.

And FUCK YES on the Rose Bowl...

They fuck up a ton of it, and sooner than later will have to bow down to the rest of CFB.....

Bro, they(CFB) essentially admitted it was a shit show.....but CFB is NOT "slipping/declining"....
Not even close....

They may have admitted it was a shit show, but you do realize that the semis are on NYE again this year, and will be 8 of the 12 years of the contract right?

This year, Dec. 31 falls on a Saturday so ratings for the early semifinal could increase since it’s not a workday. The conflict for fans with the late game will remain in place since it's still New Year's Eve. The semifinals rotate back to the Rose and Sugar on Jan. 1, 2017. The semifinals are scheduled for Dec. 31 in eight of the 12 years of ESPN's contract with the CFP

I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be Jan 1, 2018 for the Rose and Sugar, but it was a CBS Sports article, so it more than likely wasn't reviewed by an editor before being posted.

Yea, the Rose Bowl was and is an issue, but there wasn't a yuge stink about viewership and it being an awful idea when the FF was being played. Normal moaning like any scenario in the world these days? Yes. But it wasn't out-of-control till afterwards. Equal amount of squawking about how cool and unique the idea was as well. And, look, I'm not the defender of NYE playoff football. Just pointing out factors to why the numbers we're as low as they were.. That's it.

Not even close....

Why do you keep hanging the "slipping/declining" on my posts? I've looked back over my barrage of posts last night and don't see where I said that. Maybe I missed it, but don't think so. You do realize I'm actually pointing out that a lot of the viewers were actually watching the games at some point which is all it takes.

Twank,

Where did all the viewers go from the 1st year to the 2nd? You've yet to answer that question. No one has.

My last 2 NYE I've had a 6 month old and a 2 month old. This NYE I have a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and a pregnant wife. Having the playoffs on NYE is great for me.

SC is exactly what's wrong wth college football when it comes to rankings.

Started 1-3

Win 7 in a row and are now ranked 12th?! (We haven't seen what their new ranking will be after this 7th win in a row ...)

Yay, you beat an undefeated, overrated UDub team who had played nobody but at an above average Utah team. But, still, I understand why any school can get a bolster from that.

And, yea, I've heard idiots say they are playing the best of any team right now. If they didn't have SC written on their jerseys you wouldn't know them from Adam and they'd be ranked around 22 - 25 with all the same wins in that seven game winning streak.

But back to Alabama ... how could you not rank them 1? Only a moron wouldn't. I will, however, look forward to the Auburn game and the FF game. There are their tests. And, yea, they'll be heavily favored I'd imagine. Should be. They've earned it, but no one can say they've been tested. College football is down this year.

I agree on the USC thing. Blows my mind that they are getting consideration with so many 1 loss teams out there. I get the argument that the committee, and presumably most of the fans, want the "best" teams in the playoffs, but the regular season has to mean something more than a coronation tour for a few chosen teams.

And we can argue that Alabama hasn't played anybody. That's fine. I've admitted that the SEC isn't really that good this year. I think they'll show up better in bowls than expected, but the conference is filled with a lot of great players but only one great team. But you can make that argument about pretty much any team that's won nearly all their games.

If The BigTen gets two teams when an undefeated team from another conference went 2-0 against BigTen teams and doesn't get in then we need to just mothball the sport.

Western Michigan also had a better performance against NW than did Ohio State, and I think that was their only common opponent (that i can think of)

Also if Ohio State advances and the Conference Champion does not, we need to mothball the sport.

If The BigTen gets two teams when an undefeated team from another conference went 2-0 against BigTen teams and doesn't get in then we need to just mothball the sport.

Western Michigan also had a better performance against NW than did Ohio State, and I think that was their only common opponent (that i can think of)

Not good enough to play in your own conference championship, but good enough to play for the national championship.

We learnt nothing 5 years ago?

Not good enough to play in your own conference championship, but good enough to play for the national championship.

We learnt nothing 5 years ago?

It goes beyond that this year. We have an undefeated team that went 2-0 against the conference that would be getting two teams while they are left out!!!!

It goes beyond that this year. We have an undefeated team that went 2-0 against the conference that would be getting two teams while they are left out!!!!

anyway, the precedent was set 2 years ago. If Washington and/or WMU win their championship game it means more than sitting at home. What got OSU in a couple of years ago should also mean they miss this year

After today's game, make me a line on a neutral between Michigan and TOSU.

pick em. both vs SanduskyU , neutral -3.5-4.0... and I would be 4 units on either.. IMO under current system, conference championships are irrelevant. fix that.. but until committee job is to get best 4.. SanduskyU not one of them at all..

Back