CFB Rankings Week #4

i took bama -1100 very large to make the playoff before games yesterday. theyd have to lose both to even have a chance at missing.

Perhaps because it's ridiculous?

I agree, it's ridiculous that one of the two remaining unbeaten teams doesn't get discussed. Every game matters*

*unless you a school that has less chance of winning the national championship then Kansas and Rutgers, no matter how many games you win, just because you won't bring in TV viewers

So if Western Michigan would be +24 to Alabama, how can you guys say that Western Michigan should be #2? Is it only because they are undefeated? Does schedule/conference not matter at all?

Power numbers/point spreads should never matter in competition if it is true competition. Ever. They are nothing but ideas.

I agree, it's ridiculous that one of the two remaining unbeaten teams doesn't get discussed. Every game matters*

*unless you a school that has less chance of winning the national championship then Kansas and Rutgers, no matter how many games you win, just because you won't bring in TV viewers

Every game doesn't matter. If you want a chance to win the National Championship then do what Rutgers did - move to a power 5 conference.

Buster Douglas should have never been given the opportunity to face Mike Tyson given the numbers. Just a terrible idea.

Every game doesn't matter. If you want a chance to win the National Championship then do what Rutgers did - move to a power 5 conference.

who is going to add them? The same reason no one has added Boise, they don;t bring TV viewers. If Rutgers were in Idaho they wouldn't ever be considered for a major coonference

So if Western Michigan would be +24 to Alabama, how can you guys say that Western Michigan should be #2? Is it only because they are undefeated? Does schedule/conference not matter at all?

No one has beaten Western Michigan this year. Is it because they are one of the best teams in the country? There's only one way to find out

It's more to try to prove a point in a gambling forum. Who you play is a part of competition.

What kind of choices do you think they have? They scheduled two big 10 teams. And that's impressive considering no one really wants to play mid level competition.

128 teams and unbalanced schedules, unbalanced conferences and unbalanced divisions within conferences.

Blindly giving undefeated teams a ticket to the playoffs doesn't make the system any more fair. And if you establish that precedent then everyone will be scheduling FCS teams for their OOC slate since being undefeated is the only thing that matters.

It's not a fair system and will never be 100% fair. You do the best you can. I'll take this unfair system over NFL Sunday boredom 10 times out of 10.

That's why the semi final exists - to weed out any potential imposters. It's not a reward, but part of the process

Making it to the semi-finals is a pretty big financial reward...as far as I know.

And it's definitely a prestige thing for the schools that make it just as it is with making any big bowl.

Rich deserve to get richer

This sport is so commercial it's not really a sport but political posturing, which is great if you're a fan of one of the big guys

But it's not sport

I don't think it'd be ridiculous to even mention one time, "Let Western Michigan be in the playoff!" Just to get the crowd riled up. ESPN doesn't even wanna say it

Do I think Western Michigan would beat Bama? No
Did I think KU would beat Texas? Absolutely hell no

And look what happened

This isn't semi-pro, it's amateur football

Treat it that way, unfortunately the NCAA will not

the big schools who play other big schools...yes.

the big schools that became big because they a) got the opportunity to win the big games, and b) got the big paydays?

Let me think, is there another sport that has unbalanced schedules, unbalanced conferences and over 200 teams? Yep. Do they crown a champion with a bunch of people sitting around a table determining who is worthy? Hell no

What do you think would happen if FIFA declared that the next World Cup will consist solely of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain, France and England, and the African, Asian, Oceania and Central & North American conferences can (maybe, if you behave yourselves) share one spot. Not even the biggest and most corrupt sporting organisation on the planet has the gall to do that. Yet, we're supposed to suck it up in college football.

Football isn't basketball and you can't replicate their formula. And cfb is infinitely more popular than college hoops so as amazing as their postseason supposedly is it still cannot compete with cfb.

And nobody is forcing you to suck anything up. You don't have to watch. This is the aspect of all of this that I do not get. You can moan and groan for years on end but it's never going to be exactly the way you want it to be.

CFB is popular? Where?

It's like a ghost town at sports bars on Saturdays, not just here, virtually everywhere

Popular? No it's not, it's just a business and a watered down one

Ok, it's not popular nor profitable. Y'all got me...this isn't really worth spending any more time on a Sunday evening so have at it, guys.:shake:

It has no clue how to grow its fan base. If you're a fan of team A, great. You will continue to be a fan of team A.

But it is losing viewership, and this model of pushing the brand names every year isn't gonna help, sucks.

the big schools that became big because they a) got the opportunity to win the big games, and b) got the big paydays?

They're big in football terms because, for the most part, they're the flagship state university or the state's A&M school or some combo of the two. They have political power and prestige -- and resources -- that the directional schools will never have.

CFB is popular? Where?

It's like a ghost town at sports bars on Saturdays, not just here, virtually everywhere

I went to a sports bar in Phoenix 20 years ago to watch a college game. They said they couldn't show games on TV in a bar without paying a licensing fee for every seat in the bar. It was the craziest thing I ever heard. I guess that might have something to do with the empty bars. The bars aren't empty in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, or anywhere else in the South. They're packed.

No one has beaten Western Michigan this year. Is it because they are one of the best teams in the country? There's only one way to find out
Ok, so break it down for me...each year, if a team from the Mac or Swac or whatever is undefeated they get in?
Or even with a loss?
I get the premise, I do. And maybe we should add two teams to the playoff.....for every Utah or Boise, there is Hawaii getting ass blasted.
A team like Western Mich shouldn't get rewarded for "beating who is in front of you" or "playing your schedule".....not when it is shit....
You know who coulda done that?! Fucking Houston....and they pretty much proved what we fucking knew....
It's hard as fuck to get this done unblemished when playing a real deal schedule.....
I brought it up before and some responded, but for all you guys blasting the playoff, blast U of H for fucking the duck.......please...

CFB is popular? Where?

Hahahahaha

CFB isn't popular?

KJ.....they seat 110k in the South, the Midwest, the East, West....

Cmon nro

you're high if you think a one loss bama misses the playoff. fuck, they want to put a one loss ohio st team in even if they lose their division.

Misquoted.....I was being funny.....Bama is in regardless of what happens here on out

What would be the excuse? I'm not being funny, but the teams behind them have been impressive how?

Western Michigan has but they don't get a shot

I moved here in 98, bars were packed whether it was Ohio St/Michigan, Michigan/State, even Indiana/Purdue...didn't matter if they sucked...

Granted, we don't have a ton of influx from the southern states, so SEC games don't get the draw...used to be an event to "go watch the huskers" or other similar type thing, now no one even does that

Of course, if you live in an area where a great CFB team resides, it's gonna be big, who would deny that? Just saying on a bigger scale, the show has gone downhill. It's dog and pony. And most of you are ok with that it seems.

Have a big time name on your jersey, lose a couple games, no biggie, still win a title....fuck that. Again, I miss the BCS.

They used to charge a cover to get in for UM/tOSU and it was awesome, line out the door, get there early...I will still go somewhere to watch next week but it will be easy to get a table and will be half empty

A lot of it probably has to do with how accessible all of these games are on tv now I guess

If any season is the epitome of why WMU deserves a shot, it's this one. Every team outside of Bama has shown serious flaws...other than WMU

I moved here in 98, bars were packed whether it was Ohio St/Michigan, Michigan/State, even Indiana/Purdue...didn't matter if they sucked...

Granted, we don't have a ton of influx from the southern states, so SEC games don't get the draw...used to be an event to "go watch the huskers" or other similar type thing, now no one even does that

Of course, if you live in an area where a great CFB team resides, it's gonna be big, who would deny that? Just saying on a bigger scale, the show has gone downhill. It's dog and pony. And most of you are ok with that it seems.

Have a big time name on your jersey, lose a couple games, no biggie, still win a title....fuck that. Again, I miss the BCS.
I understand longing for the BCS....many of my friends do. And I want some tweaking done too.....not sure how yet, but yeah.
But CFB has never been more popular.
It is insanely popular....

Ok, so break it down for me...each year, if a team from the Mac or Swac or whatever is undefeated they get in?
Or even with a loss?
I get the premise, I do. And maybe we should add two teams to the playoff.....for every Utah or Boise, there is Hawaii getting ass blasted.
A team like Western Mich shouldn't get rewarded for "beating who is in front of you" or "playing your schedule".....not when it is shit....
You know who coulda done that?! Fucking Houston....and they pretty much proved what we fucking knew....
It's hard as fuck to get this done unblemished when playing a real deal schedule.....
I brought it up before and some responded, but for all you guys blasting the playoff, blast U of H for fucking the duck.......please...

Agree 100%.

Don't care to see repeats of fsu/Northern Illinois a few years ago, Hawaii /Uga, Cincinnati in 09 against Florida. Boise had their shining moment against Oklahoma but they've proven year after year they will play anyone ooc.

Or even with a loss?

The AAC is supposedly a shit conference, being "Group of 5" and all. Houston have 2 losses in that conference, yet they have 2 non conference wins against top 10 teams (and a likely conference champ)

if a 2 loss team from a "shit" conference can beat 2 top 10 teams, who says an unbeaten team from one of these conferences can't?

Back